Starting the journey 21/02/2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 42 weight 10st 5lbs
    Blood sugar 10.8

Going to have salami and coleslaw again for tea and having the leeks tomorrow, not decided how to cook them yet – having them with chicken.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 43 weight 10st 5lbs
    Blood sugar 8.9 (lowest reading for a long time)

Cooked leeks with broccoli and melted cheese on top, had this with cooked chicken. I have been wanting to eat chocolate for the last few days but have resisted and chewed on sugar free gum instead – definitely not as good but it lasts longer. I’m going to make chilli on Thursday, the recipe in the book has a tin of black eyed beans – I could only buy dried ones – any idea how much dried weight makes the tin weight of beans?

It been a long time since I cooked and I’ve quite enjoyed it. Although I enjoy raw vegetables now, more than the cooked ones and I’d rather have the vegetables than the meat which is really weird for me.๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi sue, you can buy tinned blackeyed beans from sainsburys. I used to substitute a tin for the weight in rose elliotts recipes. I’m in bed so can’t help re dried beans ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Sue1234
    on

I hope you’re not in bed poorly. There isn’t a Sainsbury’s where I live. I’ve looked again at the packet and they swell up double so I’ll put them in to soak Wednesday night ready to make chilli on Thursday.

Day 44 weight 10st 5lbs
    Blood sugar 9.0 (so still pretty good)

Looks like I might be on the diet 8 months rather than 8 weeks at this rate. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh no I’m as fit as a butchers dog!! It was 10 at night. I just can’t stay up when it gets near that time. I used to be a night owl once upon a time lol. But I’m up early! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 45 weight 10st 4lbs (12 lbs lost)
    Blood sugar 8.4 so still going down ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 46 weight 10st 3lbs (13 pounds lost) ๐Ÿ˜€
    Blood sugar 8.2 so still going down. ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Amazing Sue there’s no stopping you now!

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thanks Janet

Day 47 weight 10st 4lbs (so have put lb on again)
    Blood sugar 8.0 (so still going down)

Had “skinny chilli” tonight but without the cinnamon and chocolate and with added tomato puree and using chilli powder. I had it with -too much- brown rice. Won’t be surprised if weigh more tomorrow. Still drinking more liquid, and blood sugar has been coming down.

I watched “how to stay young” tonight and am curious about inulin for reducing internal fat! I have had a quick look on line and it seems to be marketed as a laxative on some sites, but wonder if it would speed up the reduction in my internal fat storage?

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 48 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 13.2 ๐Ÿ™ possibly the brown rice?!

Could have kicked myself over the rice. Had a meeting at the hospital yesterday and Mum is due home on Wednesday if her pain can be sorted, they are trying her on slow release morphine, yesterday it made her a bit dizzy.

My head is a mess at the moment, looked in the diary and it’s the big Cancer charity do tomorrow night and I haven’t even thought about what I’m going to wear – clothes hopefully – I don’t want to frighten anyone. ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sue my heart goes out to you. The combination of rice and stresss will have affected your blood sugars.

Today is a new day. You will probably find your clothes are looking better on you because of the diet ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thank you
    Yesterday Day 49 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 9.8 ( a lot better than yesterday)

A very mixed day on the downside Oldie was very confused and agitated so we didn’t stay very long. He is due to see the doctor on Monday so we are hoping he can be given something to calm him down, but the nature of his mixed picture Dementia means that this is likely to happen more often and pills might not help.

On the up side I decided to go smart/casual to the Charity do and needed to wear a belt to keep my trousers up. I won a box of fruit in the raffle so very useful.

Today Day 50 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 11.2 (possibly something in the Charity do curry?)

No phone call from the Care Home, so hopefully Oldie has been more settled today. I seemed to get a lot done today, I even started knitting again. I’m knitting a Dementia muff. It felt like a Bank Holiday Monday rather than a Sunday and after a frosty start the sun shone all day. Felt really positive. Only downside is that I am constipated again! But tonight I had a sugar free liquorice stick instead of laxatives – this is getting really silly, so I am going to work my way through the fruit I won in the hopes that it keeps me “going’.
    I have been drinking more fluids, but maybe I should be drinking more.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi sue, i find a teaspoon of ground flaxseed on my breakfast yogghurt seems to do it for me. It seems to get easier the longer you are on the diet – the poor old body has a lot to adjust to!
    Seems strange to say its good news that you needed a belt to keep your trousers up but you know what I mean lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Hashimoto- I needed a belt to hold my trousers up because I have lost 2 1/2 inches from my waist since I bought them. ๐Ÿ˜€

I have bought some chia seeds and have ordered some inulin powder ( ground chicory root )
    The inulin is apparently good at getting rid of visceral fat and as a side effect is a laxative.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 51 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 11.9

Had chia seeds on my porridge this morning with my Diabeti sweet (sugar substitute) – I will be eating my porridge this way more often. ๐Ÿ˜€

Dr has seen Oldie today and prescribed Diazapan for when he is really agitated – so hopefully he will be calmer.

Mum still on track to come home on Wednesday.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 52 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 8.9

Mum not coming home tomorrow as raised bed not high enough, she will be provided with a hospital bed – she can’t go home til it’s been delivered – no date yet on delivery.

Husband due to visit the Oldie tomorrow so he’ll see if the pills are working.

I didn’t have any hummus in, so I made my own dip to go with my celery and carrots sticks, I mixed peanut butter, Olive Oil and whole grain mustard – it was different and I would have it again.

Really missing bread – not for the taste, just it is so handy to put stuff on. Found some wheat free products and got quite excited until I found out the wheat had been replaced with rice and potatoes!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sue there is a nice peanut butter dip recipe in the book. It’s peanut butter mixed with cream cheese. A friend has borrowed my book or I would write it down for you.

Another is cream cheese mixed with finely chopped spring onion and curry powder to make a curry dip.

Try the chickpea flour flatbreads for something to replace bread. They are in the recipe section on this site. You can add your own herbs spices to the mix. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Hi hashimoto
    I didn’t have any cream cheese in the house, so used ingredients I had in.

I tried coconut flour bread but it tastes too coconutty. I might try chickpea flour, if I can get hold of some. I live on the outskirts of a semi rural town and was pleasantly surprised to find several shops selling butternut squash! Never mind bring able to buy Quinoa!

Day 53 weight 10st 5lbs – so have put weight on again
    Blood sugar 10.2

Started taking 5mg of lithium today, it is apparently very good for overall well-being. It might be the placebo effect, but I didn’t feel as wound up today and I seemed to get a lot done.
    Got engrossed in my jobs and didn’t drink much today, will try harder tomorrow.

Oldie no better and still agitated and restless.

Hospital bed due to be delivered tomorrow morning so Mum due home tomorrow as well.

Bought a huge white cabbage today, so looking forward to lots of homemade coleslaw. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 54 weight 10st 5lbs
    Blood sugar 9.6

Nearly at the end of Week 8 – still 11lbs lighter and 2 1/2inches smaller around the waist but my blood sugar is not showing a consistent reduction. Felt a bit fed up tonight so had two squares of reduced sugar chocolate egg. ๐Ÿ˜•

Mum finally out of hospital and I’m going down tomorrow to see how she is coping at home and to do some housework for her.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Sue,
    Hopefully your family will settle down a bit now and give you a chance to really get into a more regular eating pattern.
    You’ve really had a tough time since starting the BSD, and no chance to sit down and relax it seems.
    I really admire the way you’ve just soldiered on through all the worry and turmoil. It’s no wonder your blood sugars aren’t coming down. It’s as much about stress levels as what you eat.
    Keep up the good work Sue, you will get there in the end ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

I hope so Cherrianne.

Day 55 weight 10st 5lb
    Blood sugar 10.4

Went down to Mum’s at 7.30am and worked until 3pm only stopping to have 2 cuos of coffee and 2 shakes. Had my pills with me but forgot to take them. The house isn’t spotless and the washing isn’t fully up to date, but it is a hell of a lot better than when I arrived! Came home and slept on the sofa for an hour – I am by no stretch of the imagination a domestic goddess and my husband did the ironing I brought back with me. I’m back down on Sunday to tackle a large amount of paperwork – much more my thing.

I felt ravenously hungry tonight, I made myself a bowl of popcorn to try to quell the temptation of the remaing chocolate from the egg that was calling my name – very tired as well so hopefully will have a good sleep tonight.

Been invited to the Young Farmer’s Advisory Committee meal out next Friday – me and my husband have had several challenging years and this is the first time we will have been able to go for a long time – looking forward to a good catch up.

Hoping everyone is still going strong – losing weight, inches and sugar from your blood. Keep going. ๐Ÿ˜‡

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 56 (8 weeks)
    Starting weight 11st 2lb. Today’s weight 10st 4lb ( 12 lbs lost)
    Starting waist size 38 1/2″. Today’s waist size 36″. ( 2 1/2″ lost)
    Blood sugar has been irratic all the readings were taken first thing in the morning the highest reading was 13.7 on day 15 and the lowest was 7.5 on day 2. Today’s reading is 11.9.

I got a nice surprise today, I started the diet a size 16, I bought a pair of size 14 jeans today (no elastic in the waist) and they fit with room to spare.

I’m staying in the diet and my exercise regime will mainly consist of cleaning mine and my Mum’s house. Visited my Oldie today and the pills have started to work.โ˜บ

My usual sweetener is sucralose based, but I’m going to use stevia for the next week to see if that makes any difference to my blood sugar readings and I have stopped putting Diabeti Sweet sweetener on my porridge as well.

Continuing the journey ……

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 57 weight 10st 5lbs
    Blood sugar 10.4

First day of using Stevia instead of sucralose sweetener, not impressed, it definitely isn’t as sweet. But I said I would try it for a week to see if it gives me any better blood sugar readings.

Was doing very well today, food wise and spent 2 hours cleaning my Mum’s house, then my neighbour came with a slice of low sugar cake – did I seccum ? – yes and it tasted delicious. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 58 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 8.5 ( really good – for me)

I found out yesterday that my BMI was 27.3 and that if I can get my weight down to 9st 7 lb I will no longer be classed as overweight. This is a real incentive for me.

Not sure if blood sugar is a blip or if it is finally coming down. Also if it is due to the Stevia?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well done Sue,
    Things are working out for you it seems ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    Good for you, let’s see the sugars levels on the downward trend

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 59 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 10.3 (up again?!) Had battered chicken yesterday – so – possibly that.

Not impressed by Stevia but still sticking with it. Having a gammon omelette with salad and homemade coleslaw for tea. Have been working my way through the fruit I won the other week, trying to have at least two pieces a day.

Bought four garlic “bulbs” a few weeks ago, will try to use them in the next few weeks. Bought a garlic crusher thingy as well. I might make a bolognase sauce, only have one portion left in the freezer.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Sorry if I’m sticking my big neb in where it doesn’t belong but wouldn’t fruit spike your sugars? I thought Dr m wasn’t keen on fruit for this plan?

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Fruit such as apples and pears and pears and berries are alright according to the book.
    I’ve had some plums and melon also.

It turns out the”low sugar ” cake – wasn’t. It was actually gluten free and full of sugar as my neighbour brought me another piece over in the package. I didn’t eat it .

Day 60 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 10.2

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Oh dear Sue. You gotta love well meaning neighbours!

• posted by Sue1234
    on

She is a lovely neighbour and I blame the packaging, because it looked like a healthy option.

Day 61 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 9.8

Really tired again today, have spent a few days at Mum’s washing, drying and looking after her. Took my shakes with me. Hoping this will help with my weight / blood sugar levels tomorrow.

Going out tomorrow night, so going to be really good during the day and going to order my meal carefully – I’m thinking steak and salad would be a safe option.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thought for today – how accurate are blood sugar meters? I got my old Accu chek one out to check the battery is alright ready to take on holiday next month and got a reading of 9.0, then checked same finger a few seconds later on the Element machine I usually use and got a reading of 10.5. This isn’t the first time I have had different readings!

Day 62 weight 10st 4lbs
    Blood sugar 10.0 (Element machine)

Having two shakes again today as going out for meal tonight – might even have a diet cola. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Sue
    I have 2 meters, admittedly both from the same maker but different models, the contour and the contour plus, and I have used both on the odd occasion when I doubted the reading, and they have always shown the same results.
    I suspect that meters from different manufacturers may differ though.

• posted by Natalie
    on

My local diabetes organisation (in Australia) has one day a month when you can take your meter in to get it recalibrated so you could check if you can do that where you live. I think they test it against a standard sugary liquid. But I think there is variation in your blood even depending if you take it from the tip of the finger or further down, so it’s never going to be perfect.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Same finger literally a couple of mm apart. I have found them both to be different in the past. As long as I stick with the same one I know if it is going in the right direction or not. I have some control solution and have just tried it on them both Accu check is 5.2 and Element is 5.7.

I have learnt my lesson from taking my good meter on holiday with me and it being broken on the journey.

I am normally a size 16 but since I lost 2 1/2 inches from my waist I decided to buy some size 14 jeans – I have them on now ready to go out tonight. They are quite roomy so I looked up the waist measurements for a size 14 jean and it is 31″ but I am 36″ and they are still roomy – must be one of life’s mysteries. Had a problem tonight looking for a top that didn’t look way too big – a nice problem to have. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m not buying anything smaller until I come back from my hols as it is all you can eat breakfast and evening meals. I’m going to take my shakes with me for lunch. I will eat correctly, but the salads are delicious, vast and varied so portion control might be an issue.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 63 weight 10st 3lb (-13 lbs)
    Blood sugar 10.2

Had steak & salad last night and a diet cola. Had two shakes today again, but felt too hungry an hour before my tea so will have porridge for breakfast tomorrow. I hope I can keep that last pound off. I’ve only got 10 lbs left to lose to be within the normal weight range for my height.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 64 weight 10 St 3lb
    Blood sugar 9.2

Day 65 weight 10 St 3lb
    Blood sugar 9.6

Have been very constipated, but have not been eating enough bulky food. Made the effort today to eat more volume. Took laxatives last night to ease the current problem.

Experimented with gram flour. Made a dough with gram flour and water then rolled it out and fryed it- definite improvement from the coconut flour, went OK with tonight’s veg curry. Will experiment some more over next few days.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 66 Weight 10st 2lbs (ONE STONE LOST ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€)
    Blood sugar 9.7

Feeling relieved the weight is starting to move again. I have been eating more bulk, hopefully this is helping my digestion. I’ve also been missing breakfast and having a bigger lunch and tea, so there is a bigger time gap between the last meal at night and the first meal of the next day.

Back on the hummus tomorrow and stuffed pepper bolognase for tea. Will try out another gram flour recipe later this week or early next week.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Congratulations Sue, its a great milestone to reach!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Woo Hoo Sue
    congratulations on losing that first stone, you are living proof that perseverance does pay off ๐Ÿ™‚
    Now it’s all downhill, just got those sugar readings down a little.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thank you

Yesterday day 67 weight 10st 3lbs
    Blood sugar 10.9

Today Day 68 weight 10st 2lbs
    Blood sugar 9.6

Felt really slim today. I ate some low sugar chocolate after my tea yesterday and today. I was more productive in the toilet today, I think the chocolate helped. ๐Ÿ˜€

Two weeks til my hols, looking forward to some sun ๐ŸŒž. It snowed nearby today and it was really cold here.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 69 weight 10st 2lbs
    Blood sugar – I took 4 readings within minutes of each other – results as follows:
    Element machine 15.0, 10.9, 11.3
    Accucheck avviva 8.8

It was the first reading that made me suspicious. I don’t feel confident with my machine any more. Am going to get the Manuel out and try to check the calibration again over the weekend.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Sue1234
    Ring Accucheck tomorrow or even try tonight , now! They always very helpful to me

• posted by Eureka
    on

Sue call
    Tel : 0800 701000

• posted by Sue1234
    on

The machine I am having problems with is an “Element” manufactured one and nothing to do with Accuchek. But thanks for trying to help.

Yesterday Day 70 weight 10st 2lbs
    Blood sugar 11.8

Today Day 71 weight 10st 1lb Another 1lb lost. 15lbs in total.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
    Blood sugar 9.8

Only 8 lbs to go and I will have a normal BMI. ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Mschubring
    on

Hi everyone,

My name is Michelle and I’m starting this journey tomorrow. Can anyone recommend shakes that people use? I plan on using teal food but might want to suplement a shake here and there. Excited to start. I know it won’t be easy. Currently I’m taking Metformin, high blood pressure meds. I want to be done with these. I’ve just had it really. Any tips anyone has would be much appreciated.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Sue1234
    Any problems with machines is very unnerving. We are trying too hard to have them misbehave

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Re shakes
    I went round all the shops that sell shakes to check the prices to find the cheapest ones, I ended up buying Superdrug’s own brand as they were on offer 3 for 2. When I needed some more shakes they were on offer again at 1/3 off. I didn’t want to buy skimmed milk as my husband only likes semi so I made the shakes up with water as well as milk. I now make my shakes with only water which means if I have to go somewhere at short notice I grap my shaker and a sachet and water is readily available. It also gives me a few more calories to play with for other meals.

• posted by HappyLass
    on

Hi Michelle and welcome! I’ve only been posting for a couple of days but have been on this incredible eating plan for 11 weeks..lost 2 stone, dropped my BS readings considerably and feel great! I don’t know which country you are from but I’m in Scotland and I use Shake That Weight shakes which I buy online..quick service! They are mixed with water..I use a shaker for best results ,have 131 calories, 12.5 protein and 12.8 carbs. Nice flavours and the more you buy the cheaper they get! I have one every day for breakfast with 18 soaked almonds. Don’t really have them at other times as I prefer real food for the rest of the day but they’re also handy for travel and emergencies. Anyway..hope this might be helpful. Good luck with your first day..it can be a bit rocky for the first few days but hang in there and you will soon be feeling the fantastic benefits of this plan. Top tip..drink gallons of water!! It helps with so many aspects to get you through..fills you up,keeps you ‘regular ‘and helps to flush out all the nasties!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi HappyLass
    I’ve been on this diet for 12 weeks & cook all my meals. Not used the book or other recipes yet. Am going on holiday in June & wanted to take some shakes with me. Thanks for your post & I will get some of your shakes to try. Well done on your diet achievements.
    Ne’er cast a cloot tell May ezz oot! I love Bonny Scotland. Best wishes from Robin Hood & the castle!

• posted by HappyLass
    on

Hey Eureka!
    Hope you have a great time when you go away in June..anywhere nice? I guess you wouldn’t be going anywhere horrible!! Hopefully the shakes will be useful. I get the latte,choc and caramel flavours and add a spoonful of coffee powder to them before mixing. Tried the hazelnut but wasn’t so keen and I’m not a fan of strawberry or banana flavours.
    This plan is so great isn’t it? We’ve been on it about the same time by the sound of it and with a good deal of success..so many positives!
    No chance of casting any cloots just now..we had snow every day for a week up until last Friday!! Thankfully it doesn’t hang about for long at this time of year. Had some very welcome sunshine today..made for a much nicer walk by the river with the dog.
    Take care Sherrif ! (I’m guessing you’re from Nottingham?!)

Please log in or register to post a reply.