Starting the journey 21/02/2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

I have my shakes and shaker ready. My blood sugar monitor ready. My scales ready. My frozen vegetables ready. Hoping to keep a record here of how I get on. Just need to get a good sleep tonight and start early tomorrow. Going to have 3 x 200 cal shakes and 200 cal meal initially for easiness. I don’t eat a huge amount normally, so hoping this will be doable.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome Sue1234. Lots of support and advice on here.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Sue1234.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    These forums are still in their infancy but already there is a good knowledge base building up and your experiences will add to that.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Starting point this morning: Weight 11st 2lb, Waist 38 1/2 “, Blood Sugar 8.8
    Have had my first shake – Strawberry made with 100 ml of Semi-skimmed milk and 150ml of water. Tasted alright. Might make it more watery as I go on. Had 1 metformin afterwards – not sure how that is going to work, but intend to keep taking them this week and start reducing next week as weight starts coming off.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Well done Sue. Starting is the hard part!
    Me and the OT have been at it 6 days now, she weighed herself yesterday and had lost 5 pounds, and we’re enjoying the food.
    Good luck on your journey.
    As a paramedic I’d say keep a really good eye on your Bm readings, and maybe see your Gp for advice about the metformin sooner rather than later.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 1 was a mess – literally. Made up chocolate milkshake with hot water along with milk, had a tight grip of the lid as I walked and shook -however- heard a pop and chocolate shake ended up all over the living room ! The shaker is only for cold liquids – who knew.

Decided to dust the house as a form of gentle exercise and managed to break the ear off an ornament.

On the good side , my weight this morning is 11st 1lb (-1) & my blood sugar is 7.5 (-1.3)
    I enjoyed my shakes yesterday and felt more positive. I had chicken & mixed vegetables and peppers cooked with mixed herbs as my main meal. Had to go to the loo more, because I drank more fluid.

Thank you to the people who are supporting me, this is the first forum thing I have done so I’m still learning.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sue, you really don’t want to start reducing meds until you have been showing a fasting sugar reading of below 5 for a few days and, then, have a word with your doc beforehand.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Am still taking Metformin, but stopped Gliclazide as it is what is advised by Dr Taylor. At the Diabetic Clinic tomorrow, so will be discussing meds with Nurse Practitioner.
    Was going to start diet next week, after the clinic, but was reminded by husband that we have been invited to a large Cancer Charity event at the beginning of April (Carb rich meal), that I have to attend, so the sooner I started the better.
    I have been thinking about doing the diet for years, but I found it was hard to find the “right time”.
    I gave up work in October, since then I have been dealing with “family issues”, I was going to start on 29/02/2016 to allow time before my overseas holiday in the middle of May. My husband was unsupportive at first, “you need to lose weight slowly to keep it off” but I finally convinced him last Friday and since then he has been very keen for me to get started.
    I think sometimes you just need to stop thinking about it and just “start”.
    The thing that makes my blood sugar go up the most is Stress, so eliminating that is what I am concentrating on as well as sticking to the diet.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Bad day yesterday. Got a phone call from the Care Home at 12.30pm – my “oldie” had been involved in an altercation! I was summoned to the Manager’s office to sort it out. My stress level went off the scale. My oldie forgot what had happened after an hour and went back to being his usual happy oblivious self, where as I was still sorting the aftermath out.

Weight this morning: 11st 1lb
    Blood Sugar: 9.2 (not surprised, but disappointed)

Spoke to Nurse Practitioner at Diabetic Clinic this morning, she hasn’t heard of this diet, I gave her the printouts from Professor Roy Taylor’s website, she is going to have a read. She discussed my meds and agreed it was sensible to not take gliclazide – to avoid hypos, but to continue taking the Metformin as I have been. We have agreed when I need to have my next blood test and I have another appointment made with her for the end of May to check on progress.

Am going to listen to a hypnotherapy CD today to try to calm down, am still feeling angry and wound up from yesterday. To look at me you would think I am a very kind laid back person, but I internalise my real feelings which is why I suffer from stress.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sue, I know this sounds mental, but, years ago when I couldn’t handle stress, I used to drive out into the countryside, find a deserted spot, and pick a tree.
    That tree became my object of attention, I could scream, shout, and talk to it and even cry on it’s shoulder and of course, it never answered back (if it did I would be a poster on a very different forum now )
    afterwards, the stress levels had reduced and I felt great.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Sue
    Welcome to the forum.
    By the way- Michael is really strongly in favour of full fat dairy products, as it’s not the fat we eat that’s the problem but the sugar. If you take the fat out of milk then it has a higher proportion of sugars. Hard to grasp he s really saying this after years of being told fat is bad but he is.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Sue1234
    on

I am not worried about milk, I am mixing water with the semi milk to make my own “skimmed”, as the shake mixed with skimmed milk is 200 calories.

I laughed at your tree therapy Bill. I used to go on long drives listening to loud music and singing along to it. The best time to do this was when there was a big football match on as the roads were really quiet, apart from my singing !

Had an even more stressful day today – my oldie has to leave his Care Home – he is really happy and content where he is and the home is fantastic – but another resident winds him up and he won’t walk away. Spent the afternoon trying to find another Care Home with a vacancy, knowing that it won’t be as good as where he is now. And that is before I have to work out how to physically move him.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

I started the 5.2 med diet last week and have managed quite well, i think, and lost 3ib. I do find it hard keeping carbs down but have cut out bread pasta rice and potatoes but cant get my head around full faf as for last 40 years i have had fat free but am giving it a try.

I was previously diagnosed as pre diabetes with blood sugar level of 6.1. Due to good diet etc i got it down to 5.5 but unfortunatley have gone off the rails for 6 months. I am devastated to find out today when i went to a local pharmacy and had blood glucose test that it is 6.7. I went because I noticed i was having an itchy skin after biscuits and even though I have cut carbs back am feeling same itchiness today. I also dobt sleep very well when my calories are restricted too much. Part of pharmacys policy is to suggest going to GP within 14 days which i dont want to do as i am going to hong kong in 5 weeks and dont want to have to sort out extra travel insurance. She did say that i could have diabetic coma which has scared me but is it really likely? Is this irresponsible? I would be very grateful for any comments/suggestions.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I don’t really know about this pre diabetes thing, I certainly hadn’t heard of it before joining the forum.
    I was always told both at the GP and the hospital that I had to keep my sugar levels between 4 and 7
    You haven’t been diagnosed as diabetic and TBH the comment about diabetic coma is totally irresponsible.
    If your levels stay between 4 and 7 constantly you are in no danger whatsoever of having a hypo never mind a coma.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Bill1954
    Thank you so much for your reply, it is very reassuring. I have ordered a blood glucose meter so that i can keep a check on it. Good lyck on your journey.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Shadow – I was diagnosed with diabetes nearly 7 years ago, after checking my blood sugar on a friend’s meter and had reading of between 18 and 20. My symptoms were that I felt like I was slightly drunk and my concentration was terrible and I had no energy. My friend was shocked at the readings and made me phone the doctor’s straight away. I have done a fair amount of research since. The average amount of time someone has diabetes before they are diagnosed is 10 years! The longer you have it untreated the more damage it does to your body. By the time mine was diagnosed 1/3 of my kidney function had been lost. I also found out recently that I have scarring on my liver due to the buildup of stored fat. Eventually you can go into a coma with too much sugar but it is a very very very slow process.

A long time ago (mid 1990’s)I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and went on a low fat (high sugar) diet. With hindsight this is what possibly led to later problems.

On a positive note weight today is 10st 13lbs ( 3 lbs lost)
    Possiby because of stress my blood reading is 11.

Made coconut flour flat bread but used 4 1/2 tablespoons of coconut flour because mixture seemed too runny with the 1 1/2 it said in the recipe.

Also made some coconut flour biscuit/cake things with a recipe I made up. Will try one tomorrow and if they seem edible will post the recipe.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow Sue 4 and a half tablespoons of coconut flour ???
    I followed the recipe exactly using one and a half tablespoons and my mixture was a thick paste rather than a batter.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Maybe it’s the coconut flour I got?! It was far too runny with just the 1 1/2 and I used proper measuring spoons. I got the flour from Holland and Barrett it’s called coconut flour frenzy.

I tried the cake things and they tasted alright. I used the same flour, so maybe if a different flour was used you would need less.

5 tablespoons of coconut flour frenzy ( 5 x 15ml)
    1 dessert spoonfuls of granular sucralose sweetener (10ml)
    1 teaspoon baking powder (5ml)
    1 tablespoon rapeseed oil (15ml)
    1 egg
    Decent splash of vanilla essence

Fan oven 180 C

Mix all the ingredients well.
    Put teaspoonfuls onto very well oiled baking tray.
    I put 7 1/2 separate blobs on the tray

When golden brown take out of oven and use spatula to get them off the tray straight away and onto a cooling rack.

I don’t know what the calories are, but I didn’t think one would hurt.

This morning’s stats. Weight 10 St 13 lbs, blood sugar 11.6 (stress? Or my body releasing glucose into my system). Biggest surprise is Waist measurement it’s now 37 1/2 inches – it has gone down a whole inch.

I call my cakes “Sue’s coconut cake thingys”

Hope everyone is keeping going. I have felt hungry today, but I am keeping going, if I can do it when I’m stressed then how much easier is it going to be when the current oldie problem is sorted โ˜บ

• posted by Bill1954
    on

LMAO@Sue1234
    Yeah Sue probably was the brand, I got mine from ASDA and I was amazed at the way the flour just soaked up the liquid.
    I have some chickpea flour to play with this weekend, watch this space.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 6 weight 10st 12lbs ( 4 lbs lost so far)
    Blood sugar 10.4 (not great but going in the right direction)

Have eaten a bit more today – threw caution to the wind and had an orange.๐Ÿ˜€

On a positive note have found a good new care home for my oldie and he’s moving in on Monday.

Going to try to make a curry tomorrow. I haven’t been able to get curry paste yet so going hunting for it and a cauliflower to make the rice with. Never made curry before – how hard can it be – knowing me anything could happen ๐Ÿ˜‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Weight 10st 12lbs
    Ran out of testing sticks so no blood sugar reading today, but now have some for tomorrow.

Made vegetable curry, used full jar of curry paste, 3/4 can water, good pinch of cumin, and the stalks off the grated cauliflower as a variation of the recipe. I managed to burn my finger and the cauliflower rice – but my curry stll tasted good. I have 3 lots of curry to freeze and 4 lots of cauliflower rice getting frozen. If you are thinking of making the curry allow plenty of time as it takes ages to chop all the vegetables.โ˜บ

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 8 : weight 10st 11lbs (-5lbs)
    Blood sugar 10.4

Had salmon and tinned asparagus today, never again. Fresh asparagus in future.

Going to have fish from the fish shop tomorrow – not part of the plan but it will get me through moving the oldie to the home tomorrow.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 9 weight 10st 11lb
    Blood sugar 11.7

Got the oldie moved in new Care Home today. Cheated with a battered fish and 6 chips. Back on the journey tomorrow. All of his stuff will be up with him tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the end of the drama’s for a while and I can concentrate on getting my weight off and my sugar down.

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Sue, well done on achieving a 5lb loss in 9 days when you are dealing with so much stress in your life!! I really hope that with your “oldie” safely in his new Care Home, you can start to Care for yourself!!
    Good luck, I am sure you can do it!! There is enough support on this forum for you to let rip when you need to, and pat yourself on your back when you can. x

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thanks Kimgall.

Day 10 weight 10st 9lbs ( 1/2 a stone lost ) ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
    Blood sugar 13.4 – it’s on the high side but it shows that the stored sugar is coming out of “hiding”.

Oldie fully moved into new Care Home. I just need to notify everyone of the move so will be sending Easter cards next week with the change of address in.

As is always the case, now that my Oldie is sorted, my Mother ” isn’t well” and wants me to look after her !!
    She is waiting for both knees to be replaced and the waiting list keeps getting longer. Hey ho, here I go again. If stress could speed weight loss I would be 6 stone! ๐Ÿ˜„

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 11. Weight 10st 9lbs (-7lbs)
    Blood sugar 13.0
    Waist 37″ (-1 1/2″ )

Mother was really ill and couldn’t get out of bed. Dr has given her antibiotics and strong painkillers. Hoping to have a quiet day at home tomorrow and catch up.

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Oh, Sue, I’m so sorry you have yet more stress and pain to deal with. I sincerely hope that tomorrow you really can have a quiet day … And as for catching up … Please make sure you are kind to yourself and care for you as much as you do others. If I was in your shoes in the very recent past (3 days ago!!!), looking after me would probably be treating myself to something that really was making me ill … Good on yer, girl!! Keep at it X

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Just been reading your thread Sue. There’s never a dull moment is there? You are doing a brilliant job, for your family and yourself. I wish you every succes!

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thank you for all of your kind words and encouragement. I feel quite low today, I got on the scales and I have put on 1lb. Not sure why?

Day 12 weight 10st 10lbs
    Blood sugar 11.4

So much for having a quiet day to myself – my Mother has just phoned – she is very upset and wants me to get a taxi down to her house to look after her ! Aaaarrrrgggghhhh

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sue1234, don’t worry, I have had a couple of episodes in the 7 weeks so far where I seem to have put on a pound and then the next day 2 pounds comes off. Sometimes we just have more water retention than others. Hope your day goes well ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Oh, Sue … with all that you have got going on, the last thing you need to worry about is the extra 1lb, when you have still lost 6 in 12 days. Life does tend to hit us in fits and starts … hopefully your mum will feel better soon and won’t need you there all the time! x

• posted by Sue1234
    on

I ended up getting the taxi down to my Mum’s. Then went with her “blue lighted” to hospital. She’s had a stroke. This diet stood me in good stead, I was there from around 30 minutes after my last post til 5pm and managed on two small cups of tea.

They think she’s been having a few little strokes over a period of time. She might be having an MRI tomorrow to get more info. Had an omelette for tea. Hoping to have an early night to prepare me for tomorrow’s adventures. ๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿ˜›

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Thinking of you… If the diet is the only thing in your life that you can control at the moment then hang on to that! I’m so sorry for what you’re currently going through. X

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sorry to hear you are having such a traumatic time, i know what it is like caring for an ill mother. You are doing really well to keep up with the diet with all this going on – but it is a positive among the other negatives in your life., and like kimgall said it is an aspect of your life you still have control over, thinking of you

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thank you. It just goes to show “life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans” John Lennon?

What has happened to Mum hasn’t really sunk in, but seeing the MRI puts life into perspective. I feel even more determined to get to grips with my weight and my blood sugar. I don’t want to be a 3rd generation female who has a stroke. My gran was well overweight and a smoker, my Mum is a non smoker and thin (a TOFI perhaps?), I am a non smoker but overweight. The only thing in my favour is my blood pressure is always normal.
    Day 13 weight 10st 10lbs
    Blood sugar 12.2

Have eaten more and drunk more fluids today, and although my tummy is making a lot of noise – I haven’t felt hungry today.

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Look after yourself, Sue, and keep us posted x

• posted by debr
    on

Hello all, i’ve just joined the forum. Have been trying the diet for 3 and a half weeks. Lost about 10 lbs and 2″ from waist. Quite motivated. I think the rapid results help. I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic but have a big family history of diabetes. I’m overweight and carry my weight around my middle. Encouraged to hear people’s results on here.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the forums Debr! Good to hear about your results! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Col
    on

Hi Sue, sounds like you have done a tremendous job maintaining this way of eating while under such stress and your weight loss is terrific ! Best wishes to you and your Mum in these trying times.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thank you.
    Day 14. Weight 10st 9lb
    Blood sugar 11.9

The extra pound has come back off.
    Oldie is settled and very happy in new Care Home.
    My Mother was annoyed with me tonight – so she must be feeling a bit better. โ˜บ

Two weeks done, 6 weeks and 1 1/2 stone to go.๐Ÿ˜Ž

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Well done, Debr … Pleased you’re doing so well!
    Well done, Sue, too! Good to hear that your Oldie has settled in, mum seems to be getting better … And you’ve lost that pound again! You’re tenacious if nothing else!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I hope you’re telling yourself how well you’re doing coping with all this cr*p you’ve got going on around you! X

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thank you all for the kind words of support.

Day 15. Weight 10st 9lbs (149 lbs). Converted to lbs as I’m putting my weight into a graph and it won’t work with stones and pounds.
    Blood sugar 13.7

Mother looks a lot brighter and she has a little bit of feeling in her hand.๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Kimgall
    on

I take it Mum is in hospital? I hope you are finding some time for yourself now? x

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Yes, Mum will be in hospital until the physiotherapists decide she can come out, and then we will need to figure out how it will work at home.

Day 16 weight 10st 9lbs ( no more has come off, but no more has gone on!). I had a bit more to eat yesterday, I had stewed blackcurrants and natural yogurt for pudding.
    Blood sugar 12.4

A curve ball problem occurred today, but I dealt with it really quickly and feel glad that I did.

I’ve made a load of ratatouille today, so will have it with some meat tonight and freeze some portions for another day. I am not a fan of chopping vegetables, but I now look upon it as a form of exercise. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Yesterday Day 17 weight 10st 9lbs & Blood sugar 10.8

Today Day 18 weight 10st 9lbs & Blood sugar 12

Disappointed that weight isn’t budging. Husband thinks Waist is getting less, as I’m constantly pulling my trousers up. Am making a conscious effort today to move more. I hope this helps. On a positive note I am still 1/2 stone lighter than when I started, which is approximately 3 bags of sugar. โ˜บ

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Sue1234, like you I’m weighing myself every day and recording it. Sometimes, my reading has gone up a bit or stayed the same – but on those days I just turn back in my diary to a week earlier and pretty much every time my current weight is less than it was 7 days earlier. Weight & inches don’t come off at a uniform rate – sometimes it’s weight and then there is a period of acclimatisation when the waistline (or hips, etc) decide to catch up! If the overall trend is downward, that’s what you want! Don’t get negative about it.
    Take care,
    Rose

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Sue1234 the weight tends to come off in fits and starts, sometimes the weight is the same but the tape measure shows you have trimmed the waist! Keep at it and like you say you can see the overall trend is down! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 19 weight 10st 9lbs again!!!
    Blood sugar 10.5

Have gone back through my journal and checked my eating and drinking habits. At the start I tried to make one of my 6 drinks a day a sugar free soft drink or a hot drink without milk, recently all of the day’s drinks have had milk in. Also I haven’t been having my evening shake, due to time restraints ie having to go to the hospital. I will try to address this and see if it makes a difference. My waist measurement has not changed, but it is still 1 1/2 inches less than when I started. I have felt tired, hungry and fed up recently. I felt great when the weight was moving. I’m not going to give up, rant over – hoping for a loss soon.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sue1234

I too am on Day 19 and like you I have had plateaus – one for most of last week and then again for three days this week, which does make it harder to stay motivated and positive, but stick with it, I’m sure you will see progress again soon. It looks like you blood sugar readings are generally improving, which is all to the good and a positive to hold on to. Stick with it, at 800 cals a day the weight lose has to happen at some point. Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.