Starting the journey 21/02/2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Thank you SunnyB.

Day 20 weight 10st 8lbs – hallelujah!!!!! Weight finally going down again. Even though I replaced two coffee’s with milk for sugar free cola and fruit tea yesterday, because I failed to ‘go’ to the loo I didn’t think I would lose any weight. Ecstatic πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    Blood sugar 11.4
    Total weight lost 8lbs & as a bonus I tried on a pair of trousers one size less than normal yesterday and they fit.πŸ˜€

• posted by Bill1954
    on

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
    Well done Sue
    Tell me, how did you get that thumbs up emojie ? I tried the usual (Y) but it doesn’t work.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Sue1234 – it’s very strange this thing about weight and bowel movements! You don’t weigh any more or less if your bowels are full or empty. something to do with physics – your bowels are sort of suspended in your body. Try weighing yourself before and after and you will see what I mean – I heard this on QI a few years ago, can’t remember the comedians name but he is occasionally on The Sky at Night type of programme πŸ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Bill I type this on my tablet and I have lots of different pictures I can add. πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š
    Spoke too soon yesterday
    Day 21 weight 10st 10lbs (two pounds have gone back on 😭)
    Blood sugar 10.5

Weight going on means that I am taking more calories in than I am using. Therefore will make my shakes with a higher proportion of water tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. Also I need to move more so I plan to do some housework tomorrow as well. 😱

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Sue

Sorry to contradict you but weight going on isn’t necessarily about calories in versus calories out. Its fashionable these days to say that its as simple as that. Its really not and that’s why we are all here doing the bsd. There are many other factors involved, some of which are beyond our control. And I know I run the risk of really upsetting you now but there is also growing evidence that exercise of any form does not contribute to weight loss. Its great for general well being but does nothing to reduce the waistline. I hope that you can see the upsides here as I do, firstly, just carry on with your eating the way you have been as long as you are within the plan and secondly, sod the housework and get out for a nice walk instead.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    To those the thumbs up symbol. It isn’t an emoji. You change the font or style of your lettering , I think it is called dingbats. Then each of the keyboard letters is for a different symbol.
    When I had a go, it was trial and error. I just pressed each of the keyboard letters until I hit the thumbs up. Also there is a really nice tick, for filling in forms.
    Love Lucia xxxx

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi All,
    I’m staying away from the weight loss and exercise debate because I haven’t seen any research about that.
    What I do want to say is that exercise is essential in helping to control blood sugars. It should be one of the tools that every diabetic uses, to keep their blood sugar in a healthy range.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 22 weight 10st 9lbs (again)1lb off from yesterday.
    Blood sugar 10.5

Started making my shakes with 50ml semi skimmed milk and 200ml water. Made more of an effort to sort, tidy & clean the house today. I’m not an expert on calories, I just feel I am making an effort if I move around instead of sitting on my bum. Once the warmer weather comes I will feel more like going outside. My plan for this week is to do some baking and meal preparation and write some Easter cards and walk down to the post box with them. I have to “walk with a purpose”.πŸ‘£

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sue1234

Like you I’m more sedentary than I should be and for me, motivating myself to take serious exercise is really tough. So my attitude is that making more of an effort to be mobile and active – even in minor ways – has to be a plus. Since starting the diet, I have made a point of being active in some minor ways everyday – a short walk, standing whilst sending emails, walking up and down stairs at home a few extra times etc. And actually, since starting the diet I have felt more vital and more like I need to be moving about.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Sunny b and sue
    Michael suggested increasing walking by 500 steps a day til you reach 10,000 steps. To my corner shop and back its 1300- so 500 isn’t much! Worth a try.

Penny

• posted by Sue1234
    on

I know I should walk, but I have to walk with a purpose. I feel stupid, just walking. Today I have a lot of stuff planned in and around the house to increase my steps and activity. Including washing the duvet cover etc and putting on line, putting the clean duvet on (a work out in itself). Chopping vegetables for my tea and cooking, involves walking backwards and forwards getting ingredients, bending and stretching for cupboard items and walking to check the oven. I might bake some bread today or tomorrow kneading is good exercise (not for me of course – I mean the bread not the exercise!)πŸ˜ƒ

Day 23 weight 10st 8lbs (back to my least, not going to be complacent again)
    Blood sugar 10.4

I obviously need to lose a lot more weight to sort my blood sugar.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I know what you mean about walking with a purpose, or needing a reason to be walking somewhere – other than to take a walk that is. But then really no one knows if you are just walking for the sake of walking, or if you are walking to somewhere for a purpose. Today I spent all morning our shopping, banking and so on, so definitely got plenty of steps in today. I need to get a pedometer really, to understand how much (or little) I’m actually moving. Can anyone recommend on – NB I only have a basic mobile phone so connective solutions aren’t an option.

• posted by innermonologue
    on

Hi, everyone. I hope you don’t mind if I join this thread? I started the BSD around the same time as you all and I was hoping to share progress & tips with people who were on the same journey (rather than boring my other half and friends with it all πŸ˜€ ) I’ve lost weight successfully in the past but it always seems to gradually creep back on again, and the thought of spending months losing 1/2lb a week (I’m a slow dieter) made me want to cry… Anyway, so far I’m 25 days in and I’ve lost 10lb! So, so pleased and motivated to keep going!

The one problem I’m having is that I can’t stand drinking tap water and herbal tea just isn’t as nice as a proper cuppa with milk. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping hydrated without using milk or drinks with artificial sweeteners? I really like fizzy mineral water but it feels so wasteful to get through loads of plastic bottles every week… ! Thanks!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Welcome innermonologue, love the name.
    Why not measure out 100 mls of milk and keep it in a separate jug in the fridge? Add it to your count, and see how many cuppas you can get from it? No need to deprive yourself of milk. Some of the herbal teas taste nice cold, like peppermint, and lemon & ginger, rosehip etc.
    I agree with you about the plastic bottles, does anyone in your circle have a soda stream you could borrow? Fizzy fruit teas would make a nice change now and again.
    Well done on the 10lb loss. Great result πŸ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Hello everyone.
    I bought a cheap pedometer that clips on, years ago, but I keep forgetting to use it.

In a better mood today. Day 24 weight 10st 7lbs (-9lbs) over 4 bags of sugar
    Blood sugar: 11.4

Decided to eat food today, rather than shakes. Had porridge oats for breakfast made with water and salt – a bit tasteless I might put a little bit of artificial sweetener on it next time. Having hummus with veg for lunch and peppers stuffed with vegetable curry for tea.

Yesterday I drank more sugar free pop instead of tea and coffee. I buy the two litre value bottles for 17p and refill 1/2 litre bottles in the fridge so I’ve always got some handy. I spent the afternoon baking coconut flour cheese scones and the bolognase sauce from the 8 week book – because I knew it was meant for 4 servings it helped with portion size, I put 3 portions in the freezer and had thr remaining one with courgetti.
    Going to be doing more steps chopping veg today so hoping for a good result tomorrow.

Hope everyone is losing weight and staying strong, I feel much better now the sun is shining and the days are getting longer and warmer. 🌞

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sue1234

Sounds like you are forging ahead and making progress. Why not try a generous sprinkle of cinnamon on your porridge, rather than sweeter? It’s gives flavour and an illusion of sweetness without any calories. I’m finding myself looking to my herb and spice draw more and more on the diet, to give various dishes a lift or tweak to alter them slightly.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Sue
    If you don’t like walking without a purpose, what about downloading some podcasts of radio programmes and listening to something while walking? You can tell yourself you are educating yourself/being entertained while walking! My form of exercise is jogging, I still haven’t learned to like any form of exercise – although I love the feeling afterwards!) but get through it by fixing the headphones to the ears and off I go… and I’m finished almost before I realise how far I’ve been.

• posted by SOS
    on

If you would like to walk a dog you could try http://www.borrow my doggy.Com. we have found some lovely walkers for our pooch. The dog owner pays the site and you are matched with dogs in your area.

on

Thanks for the tips, Cherianne! I hadn’t thought of trying chilled herbal teas before so I might give that a shot, and the soda stream idea is great. I’m going to ask some of my local friends if they have one I could borrow πŸ™‚

Sue1234, have you tried exercising with a friend or family member? I am a runner, but have terrible motivation – it really helps to arrange to meet someone because it makes me get out of the door, chatting to someone else is so much more interesting than running by myself, and my friends and I motivate each other to keep going too. There are also loads of walking groups around that you could join. Good luck finding a trick that works for you to get you exercising regularly – it’s really worth it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi sunnyb, i have had several pedometers over the years but my favourite is the one I. Bought a couple of years ago, it’s the CSX, you can find the details for it on the resources tab on this website. If I’m short on steps i walk to the corner shop and back -2500 steps. Sue1234 I f. I don’t want anything from the shop i just walk past the shop and loop back by another side road. No one could tell i was walking for the sake of walking – and if they did? Well, I’m walking for my health, that’s a good enough purpose for me. Watching the steps accumulate is a buzz as you get close or overtake your daily target.The CSX also shows the number of steps you do in a week πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi innermonologue, why should we mind you posting? We are all in this together! Welcome on board πŸ™‚

on

Hi, hashimoto. Thanks for having me along πŸ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Hello everyone. The more the merrier – we keep each other going with different tips and encouragement.

I would love a dog, but I have a phobia of dog poo. I live in a nice area with plenty of places to walk, but also plenty of dog walkers who don’t pick up their dogs mess! This could be connected with my “walking with a purpose” mentality. I maybe need to have a reason to go where I might encounter it.

My husband pointed out that since my Mum went to hospital I have been walking more. I walk from the car to the hospital ward and go on various errands to the hospital shop and cafΓ© to pick up drinks and magazines for her.

I had stewed blackcurrants with sweetener with my porridge this morning and it was lovely.

Really enjoyed my hummus at lunchtime and my stuffed peppers at teatime (first time I’ve stuffed a pepper).

Thought that cous cous would be a good alternative to rice until I found out it is made from wheat – I thought it was a pulse – doh!

Day 25 weight 10st 7lb
    Blood sugar 10.1

Looking forward to my hummus and veg for lunch and stuffed mushrooms for tea. πŸ˜‡

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sue, try quinoi as a rice substitute, not too bad at all.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Hi Bill

I’ll look out for it next time I’m shopping.

Day 26 Weight 10st 7lbs
    Blood sugar 11.3

Just spent 40 minutes on the phone to 4 different people in an Indian call centre regarding a simple request. I knew exactly what I wanted but they didn’t understand and couldn’t put me through to someone in the UK. I am normally very laid back and calm, but I ended up swearing and putting the phone down on two of them. It’s a good job I”m not on s blood pressure monitor, I would have broken it – the mercury would have come out of the top!

Cortisone is released when you are angry, so my weight might be up tomorrow. 😠

• posted by Fatty
    on

Hello Everyone,

I started this journey four days ago, so far so good… well under the 800 calories each day, feeling a bit headache prone but know it is the sugar/carb withdrawal. Have just read through this thread and you seem to be supportive but sensible so I thought I would introduce myself. I am an Australian, living in East Germany for my husbands work and really find it hard to live here, so decided to do a really positive thing for myself and shift some of my excess weight. While in Aus recently I had a visit with an endocrinologist and then found this diet of Michaels, they absolutely line up together with recommendations and understandings of what I must do to get ahead of my type 2 problem… SO I have been following faithfully for four days… couple of problems I can see arising that I want to get my head around…. I don’t have a set of scales here…. and I did not measure before I started… but I should do that now shouldn’t I??.. so I can measure loss…. How else do you all stay motivated??… not a prob at the minute… but reading this thread I am anticipating a rough week next week… just want to prepare not to fail… I need to complete this expedition successfully.

Cheers

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi I spent some time out in Leipzig a few years ago, I’m sure all the pharmacies in Germany have scales, the motivation from seeing the weight go down is a great help so try it out
    The headaches are annoying but at least they prove that you are doing things right.
    Stick with the plan, shout out if you need help and soon you will be seeing very favourable weight and blood sugar results

• posted by Fatty
    on

Thanks Bill,

We are in Jena, down near Weimar. YES of course the pharmacies will have scales… thanks for that. Already blood sugar levels are allowing me to cut back on meds… and this in only day four… so all good. Thanks for the support. It is hard but also in some ways easy to do it alone. No meals for others to prepare, and NO SOCIAL LIFE!!! hahahaha.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

NO SOCIAL LIFE ? IN EAST GERMANY ??
    OOF we used to sit in the pubs till the early hours, loads of bierfests happening, in fact all kinds of stuff was going on. It must have changed a lot.
    Doing it alone can be difficuilt but that’s where the forum comes in. You now have a worldwide family that has exactly the same goals as you !
    99% of any problems you may encounter will have been overcome already by others, if you need any help at all, just shout out. It’s awesome, help can arrive faster than an ambulance and possibly from the other side of the planet.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi fatty (I feel sad writing ‘fatty’) welcome to the forums! I would get the tape measure out, you will be able to measure changes from this point – and there WILL be changes! And those clothes will soon be too big for you!

Take some paracetamol for the headaches, they won’t last long! πŸ™‚

• posted by Fatty
    on

Thanks Hashimoto…. Don t feel sad… I have been quite happily a fatty boom baa all my life…. not ashamed of it… but really have a medical need to change now… so I am going to…
    Thank you also for your advice…. measuring right now….

And Bill, yes if your a beer drinker life is pretty grand here… however I HATE IT!!! so sitting around in pub and at beer festivas really does not rock my lil boat… having said that am going to an Irish festivity tonight… really I meant that I have no social family obligations here so that being in charge of what I shove in my gob is much easier…X

on

Hi, fatty *waves*. I’ve spent some time in Germany in the past too… Their health food stores (and even the supermarkets) tend to be amazing for lots of healthy ingredients, fruit teas, etc. Can’t imagine living in Germany and not liking beer, though. Enjoy the Paddy’s night fun πŸ˜‰

In a way I’m slightly jealous that you can just feed yourself without having to worry about other family members – I’m finding it a bit of a pain to cook separately for me vs the rest of the clan so I’m trying to adapt their meals to suit me (e.g. by just eating more of the meat and none of the carbs).

Hashimoto, I’ve just noticed that a lot of the recipes are your inventions – are you a keen cook? I am planning to try some soon. πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

OMG Paddy’s day
    I remember driving down to a new Irish pub in Chemnitz for Paddys day night
    Got back to the digs 4 days later, the boss was NOT impressed πŸ˜‰

on

LOL, Bill! ‘What happens in Chemnitz stays in Chemnitz’?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Oh yes, dead, buried, and well hidden πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi innermonologue, I have loved cooking since I was knee high. That latest recipe I put together specifically for madmedic who said they were finding the food expensive. I had priced it the dish (very cheap) and put together a list of a weeks grocery shop and a list of meals you could make from it as a help but I haven’t noticed them on the forums since. If you were wondering about half aubergine I was thinking it could be turned into aubergine dip or sliced, fried then put under the grill topped with tomato and cheese as a light lunch.

If you like spicy food try the courgette bhajis – i forgot to add a teaspoon of lemon juice in the ingredients list.

πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill 4 nights?????????

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Always knew you were a bit of a lad Bill!!
    Hi soon not to be Fatty, lots of Aussies on here. We are the ones posting when you lot are asleep, and wondering why no one is answering lol πŸ™‚
    You may only have a few uncomfortable days when you start, others breeze through and don’t notice anything. It is so worth it though cos you’ll feel energised and have more mental energy too. Somehow it changes your thinking so that you feel more optimistic and in control of diabetes and your weight. For a good example of this read Lucia’s posts, there’s no stopping that girl now. Her enthusiasm could power a small town!!
    Everyone on the forum will help you stick with this, as Bill and Hashimoto have said. It is worldwide but we are united in helping each other through, sharing our experience, and adding to the growing fund of knowledge of how to deal with diabetes effectively.
    All the best from not so sunny SA (37 yesterday, 19 forecast today, what is going on?)

• posted by Fatty
    on

Thanks Cherrianne…. We are south Aussies too… nice to hear from someone from home..x

I am off down the street today in order to find a pharmacy with some scales… it is day five and no worries so far sticking to the rules… I do not follow the recipes i the book as I just cook from scratch and look up the calories and work out the portions… I know I will need the motivation of a good weight loss or something to get through the week end with My Hubby around!!!

Will scroll around and look out for Lucia… sounds like good to me…

Love these international forums, belong to a few of varying interests, just good to find others with the same interest and goals and not have to go on and on at friends as their eyes glaze over…hahaha
    Some good news to tell… for 2 days now I have not needed to take one of my meds ( endo gave me instructions on when to take it and when not to relying on BSL… so that ha effectively halved my medication use…. I think thats great!!!… well done me… and thank you body for responding.

19 sounds a much more liveable temp than 37 . Have just come back from being in Oz for 5 weeks… humidity in SA is so not what I was looking for!!!!…

OK Off to seek the lively Lucia….

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi fatty soon no longer! Congratulations on your results so far! A reduction in meds already WOW !!!!! That should keep you on course this weekend! πŸ™‚

• posted by Fatty
    on

Morning Hash..x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi cherrieanne that is some temperature drop! Hope you coped – it’s like going from a warm day and into the fridge! πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi not so Fatty and Hashimoto,
    Yes the weather here has been completely crazy. So hot and humid for weeks. Then overnight it changed. Had to get a jumper out today lol. Have to admit it was a shock last night. Went to bed covered by a sheet (fruitless attempt to keep mossies away), woke up shivering and had to find the quilt in the night.
    NSF your endocrinologist sounds like a gem, really up to date with the latest research. Your experience is so different from many people on here who have ignorance or opposition to the diet when they bring the subject up. Great results on your blood sugar results so far πŸ™‚

• posted by Fatty
    on

Yep she is on Melbourne St, North Adelaide… Natalie Giles… I actually had my appt with her first…. and then found Michaels stuff… amazed me. She spoke openly about what is not known… what is commonly believed and what is still being hotly argued at conferences… gave me gram amount of fats carbs and proteins to aim for…. Most honest and open health professional I have come across for a long time….

In a former life I was a Mental health Nurse Practitioner, Midwife and Emergency Psychiatric assessor on a Mental health Liaison team, worked with loads of amazing Medicos across all disciplines and made some great friends, but she was right up there in my estimation.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Wow a lot has been going on since I last checked in. Hello everyone. I didn’t realise we had such a diverse bunch on here.

Day 27 weight 10st 7lbs
    Blood sugar 9.9 ( finally going in the right direction)
    I read through the book today again, tomorrow I will be at the end of week 4. I had hoped to have lost more weight and had better blood sugar by now but I have to remind myself that I have been a diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic for almost 7 years and if it’s going to take longer for this diet to work for me then so be it – I’m prepared for the long haul! I’m not a fan of veg usually but I have been tucking into it and actually enjoying it.

My downfall has been lack of exercise, but a lot has been happening in my life- I’m aiming to get an exercise routine started on Sunday that I can stick to.πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸšΆπŸšΆπŸšΆ

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Good morning not so fatty,
    Thanks for that, I’ll remember the name of your endocrinologist. Great to find someone like that. I too have met some fantastic health professionals over the years. We seem to have had nearly parallel working lives. You in mental health, and me for many years as a district nurse. Wonder if our paths ever crossed? Lots of liaising between our two professions over the years, especially when I was working in the inner and very outer southern suburbs!
    Hi Sue1234, things ARE going in the right direction for you, however slowly you feel it’s happening. Who knows what inner changes are happening that are not evident yet? It’s good to go back and read the book again, I seem to find something new or refreshed in my mind each time. So glad you’re enjoying your veg now, they give you lots of food for little calorie/ carb cost. Just make sure you’re keeping your fat intake up to encourage your body in the fat burning mode and I’m sure we’ll be hearing of even better results soon πŸ™‚

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 28 weight 10st 7lbs blood sugar 11.4

Today Day 29. Weight 10st 7lbs, Blood Sugar 11.2

Athletes foot started a couple of days ago, which is a sign that my blood sugar is out of control. πŸ˜•
    I keep looking at what I am eating and drinking, I’m wondering whether I was too optimistic in stopping the gliclazide. I’ll have a think and change a couple of things but if my blood sugar levels are still in double figures next week, I’ll contact the diabetic clinic and tell them why is happening and see if they want me to go back on it.

• posted by Sue1234
    on

Day 29 – update measured waist today 36″ so I have lost 2 1/2″. Feeling a bit better about things. 😁

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic Sue 1234, you will have some very loose clothes now! It’s a lovely feeling isn’t it? πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Sue1234,
    Things are happening again for you, it must be a relief.
    Have you looked at a thread called ‘rising fasting blood sugar levels’ in the fast 800 forum. You will see there’s a few people experiencing high blood sugar levels starting anywhere between weeks 3 & 5. The general consensus seems to be that at this point, the liver is releasing stored sugar and so blood levels rise. There are better explanations for this on the thread.
    It happened to me and had me very concerned. My blood sugars had come right down to mostly under 5, fasting, and I was so pleased. Nothing I did with my diet or eating pattern made a difference to the spike in blood sugars. Now they’ve dropped back down again. Low 5’s for past few days and 4.7 this morning. Hang in there, it will pass πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.