Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Morning all, well after my falling off wagon last week/weekend, I have been strict since monday and lost the 3 pounds I had gained back, so the damage not too dreadful, just hope that I start to see a new all time low soon. I need to keep seeing the progress in order to stick to it, but I do feel fairly refreshed having had that very relaxed week.

As usual the demon drink is my biggest downfall, I did have a glass of red and a glass of prosecco with a friend last night. She has invited me back tonight for a proper wine wednesday (her hubby is away!) , but having had to leave my unwell 11 year old at home today I have the perfect excuse to say no, and be good.

Another lovely sunny spring day here and I am dying to get out for a lovely long spring walk, but work and sick kids get in the way, maybe at the weekend.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks Seasidenana, we were waiting for my MIL and had to fill in about 1/2 Hour, so I thought I’d fill in the time by trying on clothes. I don’t know that the dress would fit as it was zipped up at the back, which I did up as much as I could. The fitting room was one of those which has mirrors all round, and for once I wasn’t shuddering in horror but instead looking objectively and noticing where I had lost weight – so although I didn’t buy anything, it was a positive experience (which was free, even better ๐Ÿ˜‚).

• posted by Theodora
    on

Grrrrr – just typed up a long post, only for it to disappear when I hit the submit button!!!! This has happened to me a few times, so I must try to remember to copy my post, before submitting in future, so that I can just paste it.

Here I go again…………..

I do agree that there is not a lot of point is spending lots of money buying new clothes whilst we are still losing, so charity shops seem like a good option. I also agree that big baggy jumpers hide a multitude of sins, but for those of us who have been trying to hide our weight under them all winter, the telling time of summer is just around the corner, when we will have to strip off a bit., and that is when more people may start noticing our weight loss. Somehow, baggy t-shirts aren’t as concealing as baggy jumpers. I also think that, once we have started losing weight, “fitted” clothes are far more slimming that baggy ones, as I believe that people still “see” the weight, even though it may no longer be there! Case in point is that the first (in fact only, apart from o/h) person who has commented on my weight loss was a friend at a party on Saturday evening, when I wore a new clingy dress, and she called me a “Skinny Minnie” ๐Ÿ™‚ Whilst no one else actually commented on the weight loss, several other girlfriends did say how lovely I looked, which was a boost ๐Ÿ™‚

I, too, am holding off buying new clothes for the time being (the exception being the clingy dress mentioned above, which is gorgeous, and I feel really confident it – but it was ridiculously cheap in an end of sale, 80% off in fact). However, I will have to find some new trousers / jeans very soon, because all mine are literally falling off me. In fact o/h said just yesterday that the skinny jeans I was wearing looked more like jodhpurs!!!

So, I am now at home after 8 days away, so can report on my final First Round BSD800 weigh in, albeit 2 days late. I was disappointed that I have only lost 1lb since my last weigh in on Monday 6th, but I have been away since then, and at least it was a loss and not a gain.

So my stats are:-

Weight Loss 24lbs
    Fat % down 4.1%
    Water % up 3.2% (the only thing I was hoping to increase ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
    BMI down 4 whole points ๐Ÿ™‚

I am now going straight on to Round 2 BSD800 and my aim is to lose another 10lbs, which is hopefully doable, notwithstanding the temptations of my “gourmet break” which I have to contend with next week, and of course Easter. If I manage it, it will bring my total loss to 34lbs, bring my BMI down to 23 and into the 9sts bracket for the first time in years.

Good luck to all us new 2nd Rounders – with a little help and encouragement from each other, we can do this! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

PS Forgot to put my end of round one measurement losses in:-

Waist down 4″ – only one I can be accurate with, as the only measurement I thought to take before starting BSD
    Hips down 4″
    Bust down 2″

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Oh the recent posts about clothes from you all did make me smile! My work trousers have gradually been getting looser and looser but like you I donโ€™t want to invest in โ€œproperโ€ new clothes until I am much nearer my target weight and size. So last weekend I went to TK Maxx and bought some bargain black trousers in the next size down which seemed to fit fine – but would you believe as the week has worn on they are feeling slack too. It may just be the cut of the trousers (maybe thatโ€™s why they were a bargain!), they seem to slide off my waist and perch on my belly and hips. So maybe a belt will be next to stop me waddling around too much!

On which point, any tips anyone about dealing with a flabby belly? Itโ€™s definitely a bit smaller but still much larger than Iโ€™d like. I guess my worry is that weight will gradually continue to come off but Iโ€™ll still be left with a wobbly front end. Am thinking of going for one of those salon treatments where they slather you with lotions and potions and wrap you in tin foil – not the best look but itโ€™s meant to melt a few inches off your flabby bits. If so will report back in due course ๐Ÿ˜‰

I can also identify with all of you who have said that no-one notices! To me Iโ€™m looking noticeably slimmer but because Iโ€™ve got so used to hiding under long baggy tops and jackets I probably donโ€™t look any different to anyone else.

ClarinetCathy hope your ankles are improving and good luck with the dental work :@ Mumofcrazynamedkids glad youโ€™re still on here and keep going as best you can even when your circumstances make it difficult.

Keep it up everyone!

• posted by Abbado
    on

Week 7 weigh in for me today and I am well pleased with 9.7kg. So close to my 10kg target for the 8 weeks.

I read with interest all the comments about clothes. Last week i tried on all the clothes I have ordered on-line over the last year in my size (20) which did not fit. ( to lazy to return and put them in the “I will shrink into that” drawer). Of about 12 or so items, only 2 fit. Still too small. It’s the sizing. So inconsistent and very frustrating.

As far as comments go. A group chatting at work pulled me up with “whats your secret?” which was nice.

I am looking to lose another 20kg so after my holiday in April, I will start a new 8 weeks. cheers.

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Abbado, great news on your almost at target in your 8 weeks, I had set myself a 2 stone target for my first 8 weeks, and only managed 1.5, but in the end still pretty happy just to have made it that far!

Clothes sizes are such an annoying thing, but I guess as much as clothes are all different sizes, we are all different shapes, I am back into all of my size 14’s and even wore a size 12 dress the other day, so am hoping in another few weeks more of my size 12’s will start to fit, but it is disheartening when you have your eye on something in your wardrobe that hasn’t fitted for a while, and either it still doesn’t fit, or it does, but just doesn’t look as good as you remember as you have changed shape?!

I have people commenting on my change in appearance, but not as much as my colleague who is doing teh same diet and has lost the same amount fo weight, but she does have a tiny waist and does tend to wear very close fitting clothes that show off her shrinking but still curvy figure. I just like teh fact that some of my skirts are sitting on my hips now and feel loose and comfortable, rather than on my waist. But I am missing my 2 pvc size 16 skirts that i had bought last October, they are now swimming on me, so next autumn I will need new ones!

• posted by lyn.g
    on

hello all, our household has just finished the first 8 week challenge with a combined loss of about 60 kilos. My hubby lost 16k, sons 15, 14 & 7 (this son didn’t really need to lose any weight) and I lost 8k. We are all very pleased and just like this forum, the support for each other is crucial, in staying on task and inspiring each other and motivating each other. We have all changed in lots of ways, not just the weight. I feel convinced that our boys have been given a real education in health.
    We have had two days off the diet, but not going crazy. the first night was our regular family dinner night which has been recipes from the BSD book for the last 8 weeks. All the kids come home with their partners once a week. Helps us to stay connected. Even the non resident family members have been impressed by the weight losses. Last night was my husband’s birthday dinner with all the family, and we did have Princess Cake for dessert, his favourite, and so I bit off task. Hubby and I are doing 5:2 now for a few weeks as a daughter has an engagement party coming up and then perhaps do another 8 weeks. We will see how we go and how easy it is to maintain. Felt very good this morning on my walk and all day really.
    Keep all the encouraging posts coming in and lets keep changing the world one day at a time ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Round 2 – week 1 and I am exactly the same weight , 11.3.5 as I was two weeks ago! I didn’t weigh last Saturday as I had been away for a few days, had an accident spraining both ankles and felt awful. This week I have been on a course of antibiotics for a wisdom tooth abscess and am having the offending tooth extracted on Monday! Despite not feeling great I have stuck to the plan but I guess being sedentary, being on medication etc has affected my metabolism and therefore I am not disappointed in no weight loss. Because I feel so much better for losing the 17.5 lbs that I have lost since starting on 8.1 17 I am inspired to keep going and I hope I can lose another 10lb in round two and then I am going straight into round 3 to complete hopefully my weight loss before embarking on a maintenance regime! Unlike other diets I have done I feel confident that this works for me despite set backs etc which happens so I am ploughing onwards and downwards. I will keep a look out for other second rounders on this thread – good luck everyone!

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi clarinetcathy it must be a bit disappointing after such a horrible time to find the scales have stuck too ! Logic tells us that they will start moving again, but it is such a nice boost when they drop a bit ! My scales have been a bit erratic for a few days, despite me sticking to the plan. I had a 1.5lb gain earlier this week which freaked me a bit ! It has gone again now, but taken me back where I started a week ago.

I’m here for round two, and three ! Hopefully the general trend will be down, regardless of these set backs. My loss for round one was 18 lbs, so we are very similar.

I had a deal with myself that I would have no alcohol during round one. Partly as a detox, partly because I was having too many glasses of wine anyway, and partly because of the calorie content. I didn’t want to blow all my good work on the BSD. I have made it to the end of 8 weeks with no alcohol, which I’m pleased about and quite proud of myself. Now I’m wondering what to do in round two. I don’t want to return to my old habits. I’m not sure whether to have the odd drink or not. What to other people do about alcohol ?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oh dear CCathy, what a dire time you are having. ๐Ÿ™ Hopefully, once that horrid tooth is gone on Monday, things will pick up for you. How are the ankles doing now? Like you, my aim is to lose another 10lbs in Round 2 – I’m sure we can do it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seasidenanna,, well done on no alcohol for the full 8 weeks. I’m afraid that I indulged on 3 occasions, but 3 days with alcohol means I went 53 days without! ๐Ÿ™‚ And now I am on Day 6 Round 2, so have gone 59 out of 62 days without, so feeling quite pleased with myself. To be honest, it is the only thing I miss – my favourite time of day was always sitting down at about 6.30pm with o/h, glass in hand, discussing our day etc. Water just isn’t quite the same, somehow! ๐Ÿ™ And of course, alcohol always meant nibbles too – crisps, nuts, whatever was to hand! As far as alcohol in round 2 is concerned, I have decided to stay off it as much as possible, but will allow myself a glass or two on social occasions, though I will make allowances in my carb/calorie count.

So, Round 2, Day 6 and I am 1.5lbs lighter, so going in the right direction. Now a total of 25.75lbs down since my start on Jan 16th.

Good luck to all 2nd Rounders – we can do it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Second rounders
    I’m coming to end of week 3 round 2 and am having a rubbish time! Lost 28lbs in first 10weeks which I was delighted with but it took 4 weeks to loose the last elusive 2lbs. I’ve also been very poorly for weeks-post surgery and nasty sinus infection. This slowing down of progress, feeling ill and a week long work trip last week saw me fall off the wagon. BIG time. Back on itnow but away all next week and so worried about the weight gain I’m likely to have head. Work trips complete with gala dinners and low carb, vegetarian is hard! Being hungry is hard. Weight loss stalling to Slimming World stagnation is hard and not changing dress size-in fact 3 dresses in my usual size 18 still too tight. I have to get back on track as this is about stopping pre diabetes-diagnosed insulin resistance in December. I just seem to have lost it ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜“

on

Seasidenana- like you I didn’t have any alcohol during my first eight weeks but I’ve decided to be a little more relaxed during round two and tonight I have enjoyed a lovely glass of red wine (dornfelder) with my roasted cauliflower and Stilton dinner. After all MM does say that we can indulge in a glass of red wine occasionally while following the Mediterranean style way of eating. Because this is our new style of eating I think it is very acceptable to enjoy the odd glass of red wine. I think biscuits, cake, pasta and rice and bread are all no go zones but the odd glass of wine say perhaps once a week is more than acceptable. Like you, I will be doing round 3 too so I think it is important to be kind to ourselves in this journey which won’t end when we finish round 3, this is just the start of the new way of eating for us all forever!!!!

This week I will be weighing myself on alternate days and hoping with all my heart that the scales move in a downwards trend. I will look forward to reading about everyone’s progress and will post next Saturday. Have a fabulous week everybody.

PS: I am really excited about shopping for holiday clothes in May for my summer holiday to Turkey in June and I am only 4lb from being in the next stone down bracket (10’s) so that is keeping me motivated!

Theodora- I am very impressed with your weight loss so far- well done. It’s great that there are a few of us continuing on round 2, it really helps to read the posts and follow the progress we are all making – some is us more slowly than others!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Tumtum I hear you about losing it!
    I felt so motivated in Round 1, and although I didn’t strictly keep to 800 calories a day, I was happy with the 6kg loss over 8 weeks.
    I had a day off then started Round 2 last Monday. The first few days were ok but then I went right off the wagon! I put on a kilo during the week but luckily lost some of it So my net gain was 300g.
    I’m finding it much harder to keep the motivation going in Round 2.
    I had training at work today and some of it was interesting, about neural pathways in the brain and reprogramming thoughts – this is what I need to do!
    I’ve managed to stick to 800 calories today, and spent the evening cooking so that I’m more prepared for the next few days, but it’s definitely harder to feel motivated – I don’t know how some of the people on here have kept going for a long time!

• posted by Eir
    on

I started jan 10 and so far I’m 7,5 kg down! I have not followed the diet strictly all days but by omitting carbs and bred and having misosoup/prawns and spinach leaves or loads of cans makrill in tomatoesauce I’ve Gotten so far!

on

Well done Eir that’s great progress! I think we’re all adapting the diet slightly as we go along to suit our own bodies and lifestyles and that’s another reason why this diet is so successful ie you’re able to do that and still lose weight.

Seasidenana I am on my second round and both times have probably done more of a 2:5 800 than the full 800. I’ve been very strict 800 calories during the week then allowed myself a bit of leeway eg couple of glasses of wine at weekends. It breaks things up a bit and gives you something to look forward to – and like ClarinetCathy says we do need to be kind to ourselves if we’re in it for the long haul. I’ve found that I’ve managed to achieve steady progress on my tailored regime – and have also noticed that even at weekends I generally don’t want to eat or drink anything like the amount I used to.

Hope we can all keep motivated to keep going – can identify with what TumTum and SueBlue are saying about having bad days as well as good! Someone once said to me on here that mini goals can be really helpful so maybe instead of looking at the rest of another 8 weeks stretching ahead of us we need to try and fix an achievable mini goal for the next week or fortnight, just to boost us?

Keep on posting so we can cheer each other on ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Dreamscometrue thanks for your helpful post. I have set myself 5 small goals to aim for, timed roughly for dates when I’m going away or there is some kind of occasion. I’m only aiming for the first one of these at the moment, and will only think about the next one after that. This does make it more achievable and realistic. My first target was set at 179lbs because that takes me from obese to overweight. I wanted to achieve that by 10 April as I’m going to Spain. My weight has been a up and down for days, always around 181 – 2 lbs, but then this morning I was 179.6 lbs ! Unless I go back up again, that means only 0.6 lbs to goal one !

I have never cheated at all, which makes the temporary gains so annoying !

Now I’m in round two I have decided to have some alcohol 3 days a week. On holiday I will have it every day, but I don’t expect to lose anything in Spain and may even gain. I will try to do lots of swimming.

• posted by Jess_Indeedy
    on

Hi Guys,

I haven’t logged in, in a while but wanted to share my success so far!

I started on the 12th Jan at 97.8kg, after the 8 weeks I had lost a total of 9.7kg, now i’m on week 10 and weighing in at 86kg! So pleased and hoping to make it to 13kg lost ( 2 stone!) soon. I decided to extend my 8 weeks as I took almost a week off for my birthday ( lots of carbs and champagne consumed) and a work trip for a week in Japan where I ended up putting on 2kg.

My husband has been away for 3 months with work, so hasn’t seen any of my losses, I can’t wait to pick him up from the airport the week after next looking and feeling so much better! I’ve been using this as my mini goal to keep me on track so totally understand on the concept of them Seasidenana and Dreamscometrue.

I’m hoping to switch to 5:2 800 in April as my overall goal is to get to around 77kg.

I have had a few cheat days and my losses have really fluctuated but this forum has really helped me stay on track and to echo everyone else this style of eating has really helped me change my habits overall, I used to be a terrible binge eater – when stressed, when tired, even when happy as a ‘treat’ but now I feel totally differently about food.

Hope everyone else is having a great week – you’ve all been a great support to me submitting all your tips and stories!

Jess

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Jess! Thanks for sharing your success. ๐Ÿ™‚

on

I saw my reflection in the bathroom mirror this afternoon and saw a thinner looking face looking back at me! It was quite a revelation! My scales haven’t budged in the last fortnight but seeing my reflection this afternoon was a very positive experience.

on

I had a lightbulb moment today. I have been a vegetarian now for about thirty years and I would never think of eating meat or fish and today when I was explaining my BSD way of eating to a colleague it reminded me of being a vegetarian, I just don’t eat carbs such as bread, biscuits, pasta, potatoes, rice. It’s not a diet per se, it’s a way of eating! Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else but it sort of made me realise that it is doable forever like being vegetarian!

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

That’s a great way of looking at it clarinet Cathy I think you are spot on. This is just the way we live now, there is nothing that difficult about it.

I realised today that I really look forward to my meals now because they are always scrumptious. I very rarely looked forward to eating before. I can’t see me ever wanting to go back to the way I was eating. I don’t struggle at all with food, but now I’m back to having low level amounts of alcohol that is my problem really. I think it affects my weight loss? Even if it is calorie counted in.

I went out for the evening to an Italian restaurant with a group of friends and chose olives with a smoked salmon and prawn salad. Everyone was eating garlic bread, and I really wasn’t bothered by it. I had two large glasses of red wine, which just took my daily calories to 1,000. I had only eaten poached eggs and mushrooms earlier. This morning I had gained 1.3lbs ! So frustrating when I had only just got under 180lbs after being stuck. I do hope it drops again soon. It can’t possibly be real weight gain as I still ate less calories than I needed even with the red wine.

I’m going on holiday soon and I have no worries about the food. I’m just looking forward to some wine while I’m away and worried I will put on weight, even if I limit myself.

on

Round 2- week 2 and 2lb down this week! Am very happy with that. Total weight loss now 19.5 lb and if I can manage to lose 2lb this week I will be in the 10 stone bracket next Saturday.

Seasidenana- I was thinking about your forthcoming holiday and I think if you do as much as you can prior to going away then it won’t matter if you do put on a few pounds whilst away because as soon as you come back you can get right back on BSD and have the weight off in no time. Also, when the weather warms up here in the UK and the nights are longer you will feel more inspired towards salads and walks etc. I am going to Turkey in June and I am going to be really good until my holiday and give myself some margin for indulgence whilst away. You might surprise yourself when you are away because I don’t think we will be as “naughty” as we think we will be. This way of eating is suiting us both and we are seeing results and feeling good. Don’t be hard on yourself. Have a glass of wine and a glass of sparkling water together- one might counteract the other!

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hello anyone still with us ! I am two weeks into round two of the 8 weeks BSD and have lost 20 lbs in 10 weeks. Not as fast as some, but good for me.

In the last 2 weeks my weight has been up and down by a pound or so, but with no overall loss โ€“ compared to the more or less steady loss I had in round one. Just as I dropped a pound and thought I was on my way down again, then my weight would go up again the next day. Hovering above and just below my elusive first target of 179lbs. I’m still no further forward !

The only difference between round one and round two is that I have reintroduced a small amount of alcohol. I have counted this in with my food on MFP and have not exceeded my calories.

Yesterday I became really depressed by this plateau as it had been going on for two weeks and I began to think my weight loss journey was over. I have decided to cut out alcohol again for a couple of weeks and see what difference it makes. I can’t believe how badly this plateau has affected my mood and my confidence. A few days would be ok, but 2 weeks !

• posted by Theodora
    on

I’m still here, Seasidenana. I’m on Week 11 Day 4 so just marginally ahead of you. I have lost a total of 28.5lbs in that time, and quite pleased with that but the past week or two has been a bit up and down, going away for a few days, over-indulging on the alcohol etc, paying the price and putting on couple of pounds, which have taken 7 days to shift with no movement at all for the first 3 or 4 days, then suddenly they were gone, with an extra pound gone on top. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m fast approaching maintenance (3.5lbs to go) which is a little daunting so I have decided to stay on 800 for a while longer to give myself a few pounds wriggle room.

I’m so sorry that you have been feeling down, and I am sure alcohol has a lot to answer for, so good plan to go back to total abstinence while you are still trying to lose, and then maybe just introduce the odd glass once you reach maintenance? If it’s any consolation in my first round, I hit a plateau in my 2nd week which lasted 12 days (and I’ve had another, slightly shorter once since) and then suddenly I started running downhill again, so hopefully the same will happen to you, so please stick with It, and I’ll pray to the Whoosh Fairy for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It is sooo worth it, even if it isn’t always as linear or fast as we may like. Take heart, it WILL happen.

on

I am still here Seasidenana. I am in round two also. I stayed the same for two weeks at week 9 and 10 and then lost 2lb last week. Don’t be upset about your plateau because like you say, you have done really well so far to lose 20lb in ten weeks. It am virtually neck and neck with you. I have lost 19.5 lb. This will cheer you up, I looked at my slimming world record chart for last year and it took me 26 weeks to lose 14.5 lb! I was flogging a dead horse on that diet and it cost me a fortune! This is working for us both! LIke you, my weight loss is slower than some doing BSD but it is steady and I have had plateaus and stuck with the BSD and remained positive and it is beginning to slowly pay off. Just think back to how far we have come since we started at the beginning of January and we’ve done it through the cold winter months. You can do this Seasidenana. There is no way on 800 calories that we won’t lose our weight! i am going to be with you for this round and the next. I hope you don’t think your weight loss journey is over and like Theodora said, I hope you have a visit from the whoosh fairy in the next couple of days. I have drank LOTS of water in the last week and I mean LOTS and I am wondering if that helped my 2lb flush away last week after a two week plateau. i will be watching out for your posts and keeping everything crossed for a loss very soon x

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Thank you both Theodora and Clarinetcathy. Everything you have said makes sense. Water is a big one I think, I never drink enough of it and we need it to burn fat !

Hovering at just above or below 180lbs for 2 weeks is scary ! In my moments of despair this last fortnight I was thinking I would never shift another pound ! I am still 30 lbs away from the top end of normal range BMI (150 lbs) and even further from my target weight of 130lbs. (Middle of normal range for mynheight).

I think part of this is because I’m more aware of my size and shape, and realise that I’m still very overweight, despite losing 20lbs. I have realised I was in denial when I was at my heaviest, kidding myself by wearing clothes which I knew would fit because of the stretch and shape etc. I was buying Size 18 (uk) but if I had bought certain makes or styles know I would have needed a size 20. This I would never have been able to admit to myself at the time.

Now I’m fitting into most of my (previously packed away) size 16’s, but even now some of the smaller ones are too tight across the hips. (Weight has shifted more from waist and bust) I’m only now beginning to realise how big I was before. At least I’m now at the top end of overweight instead of in the obese bracket !

As Clarinetcathy says I know I should focus on the journey and the positives of the new lifestyle and not get too hung up on the scales !

on

Hi Seasidenana I’m still here too! Can identify with what you say as I’ve been “flagging” a bit this week and know I’m starting to be less careful about what I’m eating and drinking: I do need to give myself a bit of a reboot. Having said that, I’ve experienced a slow steady loss since starting in January – now a total of 19lb which is great, but I still have at least another stone to go. Like you there have been plateaus of all kinds of lengths, and they don’t necessarily seem to relate to how well you are doing on the diet. I weigh myself every day and have had days when I’m convinced I really must have lost another pound but no: then others when I’m annoyed with myself for going over the 800 but the scales have gone down anyway.

I do think water helps and my own theory is that singing also helps!! I’m not a scientist but did read that we actually lose weight through our lungs (honestly!) and I’ve noticed that times when a pound or two goes seem to coincide with times when I’m doing lots of singing. Who knows?! I also remember someone posting on here something about fat cells having to be completely empty before they actually disappear (again I’m not a scientist so don’t know how true that is) but it may well be that your body is making various adjustments internally and any day now you’ll see it reflected on the scales.

Don’t give up – you’ve done amazingly well to get this far and like Theodora says if you stick largely to the 800 calories there’s no way the weight won’t keep coming off. Just remember this diet is about more than just numbers and there’s lots of good rebalancing stuff going on inside your body even when nothing seems to be happening weight-wise.

Good luck everyone!

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

I’m still here too! Had my first lapse yesterday with hot chips and Bailey’s. After 11 and a half weeks! I’m cross with myself but will do better today. I too had a period of almost THREE WEEKS where I lost nothing (on the scales) even though I was so strict. But now I have started losing again. Up to almost 2 and a half stones in UK terms. I am staying on the diet version for another 3 weeks until we go overseas, then will not count calories so much although I’ll stick to the principles. This seems (if I ignore last night!) like something I can manage long term.
    Lovely to still have some people here who I can confess to!

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

What wonderful comments from everyone. It is so encouraging to know that other people out there are going through the same issues. It does feel a lonely road at times as I live on my own. Your posts have really helped.

My scales have recorded under the 180 for two days now, currently 178.4 ! I’m hoping that is the swing / plateau cycle over for a while anyway. The only thing I have done differently is to drink lots more water, I’m going to try and keep that up.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Dreamscometrue – it is a fact that you lose weight through breathing (google it), so singing, as it opens your lungs up, probably does help ๐Ÿ™‚ My voice is so bad, however, that I’m not allowed to sing. ๐Ÿ™ However, I do sing at the top of my voice when in the car alone, so I will now feel better when I have to take the car instead of walking somewhere ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well done Seasidenanna, stick with it, you are doing great and keep up the water intake. Water carries the fat out of our bodies (hence the breathing thing above) so my theory is that the more water you take in, the more water there is to flush the fat away. ๐Ÿ™‚

Chrissie, really pleased to hear you are running downhill off that plateau again. Keep up the good work.

I have two official weigh days, Mondays and Fridays. My scales showed a loss this morning, bringing my loss since my Monday weigh in to 2.5lbs, so 29lbs in total, and only 3lbs off my revised target weight. It also means I have lost 17% of my body weight, so feeling quite positive.

Keep going January starters, and keep reporting in, we are all doing great. To complete one round, and continue into a 2nd, despite ups and downs, and still be committed shows how strong we all are. With each others’ support we can all reach our target weights and, for those with diabetes, normal blood levels ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Dreamscometrue how wonderful to be so near your target weight !

Can I ask everyone, how did you decide what your target weight should be ? I have opted for the mid point in the “normal weight” range for my height. I have small hands and feet, which probably means I have a small frame and should be aiming lower still, but that estimate seems right at the moment.

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Hello everybody
    I also am still here in round 2 (many more rounds to come though). I seem to b e in a loop currently of losing 5 pounds one week and gaining 2 the next, but if that’s what it takes, so be it. I have been grossly overweight for so many years now, I guess I can’t really expect to lose it all in a few weeks or even months. Shall keep on keeping on. I am determined to get to some sort of goal eventually. I am aiming to be 10 st something…….. so many more to lose. Baby steps.

Am very glad to read all the encouragement on here and know that I am not alone. Thank you.
    Well done to everyone for your achievements.
    Kate

• posted by Voyager
    on

Iโ€™m 67 and up until I had my first child my clothes were size 12 to 14 (UK sizes). By the time I was 25 I weighed 14 stone and gradually my weight crept up until, at my heaviest, I weighed 18st 2 lbs. While I wasnโ€™t happy with my weight, it didnโ€™t make me miserable either โ€“ I am normally blessed with a naturally happy disposition. Iโ€™ve been on nudist beaches, abseiling and even white water rafting โ€“ and generally could outlast most of my friends on the dancefloor (though God knows what I looked like!) My downfall is chocolate, sweets, salty crisps and peanuts, those delicious Krispy Kreme doughnuts with their wonderful fillings, McDonaldโ€™s chocolate muffins and desserts! Not puddings, but desserts โ€“ meringue, cheesecake, mousse, chocolate fudge cake.

Then, six years ago I developed Type 2 diabetes. I immediately stopped taking THREE spoonfulโ€™s of sugar in my tea, and for a couple of week didnโ€™t eat anything sweet. Over time I managed to get my weight down to 16st 7lb, but carried on eating all the โ€œgoodiesโ€ that I like once I realised that the medication kept my blood sugar down, as at the time I was told by my doctor that diabetes is irreversible.

Then in October 2016 I read The 800 Calorie Blood Sugar diet. I Googled this, did some research and realised it wasnโ€™t just another fad but backed by some solid research and evidence. I couldnโ€™t start the diet straight away as I had just had major surgery (total knee replacement), so I had from October until the beginning of January to prepare for this, both practically and emotionally.

I started the BSD on Monday 2nd January and found the first four weeks easy, eating different foods, weighing portions โ€“ it was all new and had a certain element of excitement. I completed my eight weeks on Sunday 26th February and during that time I lost just over 28 lbs.

I decided to give myself a break for March, but still eat sensibly. Fortunately I like fish, shellfish, chicken and eggs, and thankfully I can take or leave alcohol and donโ€™t care if I never eat bread, potatoes, rice and pasta again. So Iโ€™ve stuck to, more or less, the same eating plan, but havenโ€™t been weighing everything and have indulged in the occasional โ€œtreatโ€. Unbelievably Iโ€™ve actually lost another 7lbs โ€“ not a lot I know, but in the right direction.

Now hereโ€™s the crunch, and the reason for this long email โ€“ quite frankly, once the novelty of the first four weeks fell off Iโ€™ve been miserable. When I stand on the scales and see Iโ€™ve lost weight the euphoria last for a couple of minutes โ€“ I then spend the rest of my waking time looking at the clock to see when I can eat again, or focusing on what I canโ€™t eat instead of what I can eat.

And I have to ask myself โ€“ is this the rest of my life? And if so, do I want it? Do I want to be slim, healthy and miserable and have a longer life? Or do I want to be fat, unfit but happy and shorten my life expectancy considerably?

I am aware that it all starts in the mind and practice mindfulness, and also relax for a few minutes every day and focus on the power of positive thinking โ€“ but somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, my subconscious is saying what it really wants is a bar of chocolate, and then another, and then another.

Sorry for such a long email, but Iโ€™m also hoping that writing it down and posting it on the website may be therapeutic, and some of you might also have some helpful suggestions.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi Voyager thank you for a long and thoughtful post and for your honesty. You have done really well to do the 8 weeks and then eat sensibly and lose another 7 lbs. It sounds like you have the key to future maintenance in your relaxed plan you have just followed.

Only you can really decide if the call of the chocolate bar is greater than the benefits you get from being healthier and slimmer. I have two friends with type 2 diabetes on this plan and they are now completely free of medication and bloods are normal. Weight is also normal. One of them says he only has to think about possible limb amputations in the future to stay on the eating plan. He does have the occasional treat too, it’s just not a daily occurrence.

I don’t have diabetes, I’m following this for health reasons as I was obese with all the risks that brings. I am part way through round two now, and I can honestly say that I didn’t really begin to feel the benefits at first. I think when you have quite a lot to lose, it takes time to reach a weight where you feel the difference. This makes it hard because you are sticking to a plan which takes a lot of commitment, for seemingly little reward other than, as you say, the euphoria on the scales.

Like you, I was a size 12 or 14 when I was younger, but I had forgotten what that felt like. For the first 8 weeks or so of this, I didn’t feel much different really. In the last couple of weeks, I have started to feel better. I feel fitter, lighter, and able to move more gracefully. I’m also no longer dreading going out or going on holiday because of the trauma of what to put on. Ok, I’m a long way from my target. However, my point is that I think it takes time before any benefit is felt for those of us who were quite big to begin with.

Why not stick with it until you reach a lower weight band and see how you feel then ?

I also suggest mini targets because the journey just seems to be too long without an achievable goal in sight !

Best of luck whatever you decide.

on

HI Voyager- your post was really honest and heartfelt and whilst struggling with previous “diets” I too have had the same feelings of rather being fat and happy eating what I choose to rather than having to say no to things I want to eat. However, I haven’t felt like this doing BSD and I think it is because I don’t feel that this is a diet for me. Do you like nuts? I have often had a few Brazil nuts or Pecan nuts and small piece of Aldi 85% dark chocolate with a cup of coffee made with single cream!!! Who would have thought that was diet food! It might just help you feel that you’re having a treat. I can honestly say I don’t feel hunger now and I am wondering if you are eating enough fat to help to fill you up. We have spent too many years thinking Fat was the enemy. Your weight loss is amazing- I started on 8.1.17 and I have lost 19.5 lb and have still got a long way to go too. Seasidenana has suggested good advice by suggesting mini targets because they help to make us feel successful. I hope that by reading this forum you can be inspired to keep on keeping on. I find it so useful to be part of this lovely group and we are all in it together. It’s my official weigh in tomorrow so I will be back on here in the morning and will look forward seeing how all the round two people are doing. Good luck voyager and I hope you will stay with us.

on

Saturday morning weigh in for me and I have lost 1.5 lb this week bringing my weight to exactly 11 stone. My starting weight was 12.7 so I have lost 21 lb so far. My BMI is 29.1 so am now out of the obese range but still a fair way to go to take me to a healthy weight. My aim for 2017 is to be in the healthy weight bracket for my height 5″1 so according to my BMI checker I need to be 9.7 which is the top end of the healthy range for my height. So I am half way to my goal weight today. Onwards and downwards albeit slowly. It does seem a long road ahead still but I am determined to chip away at the next 21lb and reach a healthy weight once and for all! Good luck to everyone still chipping away at those pesky pounds. I reckon by August we could all be at least one stone lighter even us slow losers.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

That is brilliant CCathy well done you ! I have just moved down from the Obese bracket as well, with a BMI of 29.4. It does feel better ! It is strange how we are following a similar path.

My weight does seem to be moving again thank goodness after a frustrating plateau.

Spain is just a week on Monday ! It’s been my goal to lose 1 and a half stone for that and I’ve done it. My grandson is desperate for me to go in the pool with him and he keeps asking. I have promised I will. He is only little, but remembers that I didn’t go in last year. I was just too embarrassed about my size. This year I will be going in ! I’m hardly “beach body ready” but at least I feel I can get in the pool !

on

Seasidenana – congratulations on reaching your pre holiday goal. You’re right, it’s great that we are following a similar path and it’s nice to know that I am not alone in losing the weight a little slower than most on here and we can encourage each other to our healthy BMI. Last year when I was on holiday in Turkey I was a size 16/18 and this year I am hoping that I will be a 12/14 when I go back In June. There were lots of very lean and athletic Scandinavian ladies who were on yoga/tennis holidays and I felt so self conscious. This year I hope that I won’t feel as embarrassed and have even bought a pair of lovely colourful Lycra leggings and a sports top so that I too can look athletic!! Ha ha! It will be wonderful for you to be in the pool with your grandson and you could even be a few pounds lighter by the time you go next Monday. We have lost the equivalent of 42 packets of lard each! That is a lot of fat! I hope to catch up with you before you head off to sunny Spain but if not, enjoy your holiday and see you when you get back. Adios.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Clarinet Cathy and Seaside Nana ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m still hanging around. No weight loss to report for this week as I’ve been too scared to step on the scales!
    I have been away on a short family holiday with no access to a kitchen or scales. It was a planned break, and I was planning to be “off plan” for that time – if that makes sense! Old habits die hard though and I still tracked calories and averaged about 1300-1400 calories per day – still less than I used to eat pre-BSD.
    I did try to stick to BSD principles but it wasn’t always possible (sometimes due to budget, other times due to venues). When we were out for dinner (Chinese) one night though I shared a main with my daughter and just had a couple of tablespoons of rice with the stir fry chicken. Another night we had chicken schnitzel and I had salad when everyone else had chips as a side.
    One thing I found really interesting was how unfilling carb foods are. I felt that my calories were “wasted” a lot of the time, in that I would “spend” the calories for little satisfaction. For example having a croissant for breakfast and being hungry an hour later – whereas when I have eggs or porridge I’m full all day for less calories. It was a real eye opener and a reminder that being on BSD I’m not missing out – I couldn’t wait to get home and back onto BSD foods! I’ll weigh myself in a day or two.
    I did discover a nice alcoholic drink – vodka and soda water with a slice of lime. Only 63 calories ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done Seasidenanna, and I hope you have a wonderful holiday. What fun to be able to play in the pool with your wee grandson, this is what memories are made of ๐Ÿ™‚

Good for you too, CC – great to still be losing steadily in our 2nd round – and you’ll be dipping into the 10s any day now ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s my weigh in day and, since last Monday’s official weigh in, I have lost another 3.75lbs. Very happy with that, although it is only 2.75lbs less than my weight before my lovely hotel break a 2 weeks ago. In 11 weeks I have lost 31lbs, brought my BMI down to mid healthy range, and lost 5″ from my waist. It also means that this week I have sailed past my original target weight :-), and am only 1.75lbs short of my revised target weight (revised to bring me under the next stone ๐Ÿ™‚ )

The question is, do I then go onto maintenance (the thought of which terrifies me ๐Ÿ˜ฎ , or just continue and lose another half stone or so to give me a bit of wriggle room? My gut instinct says to carry on, at least until the end of this 8 week round (starting week 12 today). I think I am finding weight loss a bit addictive – I love the food, I’ve not been hungry, and oh what joy it has been to discover I have ribs and hip bones ๐Ÿ™‚

The only thing I have actually missed is sitting down in the early evening and sharing a bottle of wine with my husband, and catching up on each other’s day. We still sit down, he has a beer instead so as not to tempt me, I have a glass of water or a cup of tea but, reader, I have to tell you it is not the same!! ๐Ÿ™

How’s everyone else doing?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oh, sorry SueBlue – we must have been posting at more or less the same time, so I missed yours. I do hope that you enjoyed your family holiday?

I’m in the same position in that I go away next week too, so no scales (kitchen or bathroom) so will just have to do the best I can. That is what you have done, SueBlue, and no one can ask for more and, as you say, lessons have been learned so you have gained more (mentally, not pounds ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) than just time spent with your family.

My advice would be to take the bull by the horns and just jump on the scales and face the music, it may not be anywhere near as bad as you think, as you stuck to under 1400 calories a day, and now that you are back on board, any damage will quickly be rectified. Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Well done Theodora! I’ve not posted on this particular thread before, hope you don’t mind, but noticed we started a similar time and have lost a similar amount of weight.
    I started properly on 1st January after about a week of trying out some BSD breakfasts and lunches over the Christmas period. I have now lost 31.75 lbs in 13 weeks which I am more than happy with. I have to admit to adding some alcohol into my diet in the last few weeks (a few glasses of wine over the course of a weekend) and in the last week or two I have started to graze a little bit which I need to keep a handle on, but slow, steady weight loss has continued. I lost 24.5 lbs in the first 8 weeks, and so only 7.25 lbs in the following 5 weeks, but that is to be expected with the small changes I have made (alcohol etc). I probably hadn’t expected to carry on after 8 weeks when I started out, so that is a positive. The last three weeks I have lost at a rate of just over 1lb per week so at that rate, another 7-8 weeks and I will be at my goal weight.
    Like you, I don’t really know what maintenance will feel like, or how difficult it will be, but I guess it will only be a little bit more calorie intake to what I am currently consuming.
    I had to retrieve a pair of smaller waist trousers from the laundry basket this morning, so that I didn’t look ridiculous at work today!

on

Bought a size 12 top today- it fitted perfectly! I was in size 16/18 at New Year! Unbelievable!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Great feeling isn’t it. It looks like 10 might be possible by the time your holiday comes round, so don’t buy too many tops now ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Congratulations Theadora:-)

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Size 12 top ! That’s brilliant clarinetcathy! I was a size 18 and have gone down to a 16, so nothing like as dramatic. I’m still very pleased with my progress though. I’m now in the overweight band of BMI instead of Obese. I’m busy packing nice holiday clothes for Spain, we go on Sunday night. I am so glad I have done this because packi g would have been a nightmare and I would have been in very frumpy outfits. Now I have a colourful suitcase with some fitted dresses, swimsuits, shorts !

• posted by Theodora
    on

WOOOHOOO!!!!!
    Iโ€™m so excited. โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.Iโ€™ve got there!!!!! It has taken 11 weeks and 4 days but this morning I reached my ultimate goal! ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ
    And thatโ€™s 18.6% of my body weight gone! ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ Doing the happy dance here โ€“ and that will use a few more calories too๐Ÿ˜œ
    Now for a few more pounds to give me a bit of wriggle room ๐Ÿ˜œ
    Hope the rest of you have a good day too.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Brilliant news Theodora well done ! Enjoy your new figure and all the compliments. Let us know how your maintenance goes please ? It is unknown territory and it would be great to hear your tips. (A long way off in my case, but good to be prepared!)

Please log in or register to post a reply.