Starting 30 April Looking for fellow travellers!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Allie/Happy Kangaroo,
    Great to hear from you both! yes, i am definitely excited about the weight loss. Just one question-I understand that as per your suggestions I should keep the carbs just under 20 grams in order to keep the weight loss consistent. Are you in a position to suggest any other recipes that I can go through apart from MM’s 8 week blood sugar recipe book? I am running short of ideas in this department. Do you advice that I can follow any good recipe provided the carbs for the day are kept at 20 grams?
    I mean, would following low carb recipes from other web sites be beneficial or detrimental? please help! I will also go through the thread that you mentioned Allie. Thanks so much for always taking the time to reply. Happy Kangaroo, I hope you are well after the awful ordeal with your doctor!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sunnysandy, many of us didn’t follow the recipes in MMosley’s books at all, and just used one of the apps,
    either fatsecret or myfitnesspal to count the carbs each day. I was so insulin resistant that I had to go with
    the <20g carb figure, but not everyone has to resort to those tactics. I just accepted it as my reality, and put
    one foot in front of the other until I reached my goals. You can happily use the family recipes that you enjoy,
    just cut out the refined carbs/sugar. I may have mentioned this to you earlier, so forgive me if I’m repeating
    myself, but Luvtcook manages a wonderful thread that begins with “Good Eats…” and she is an excellent
    resource for low carb blogs/recipes. Family and friends consider me to be an accomplished cook, but what
    I know could fit on the head of a pin compared to the contributions that Luvtcook shares πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Have a
    look!

Allie

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Have look at the recipes from David Permutter
    https://www.drperlmutter.com/recipe/creamy-mushroom-soup/
    He’s a passionate evangelist of carb free eating and strongly believes many illnesses are caused by refined carbs. His book Grain Brain explains his theories. He’s an experienced neurologist who gave up his career to share his message.
    It’s very interesting how many highly qualified medical practitioners have made it their mission to get the message of refined carbs out to us, some risking career suicide. A bunch of highly principled men, much to be admired.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hope you don’t mind me dropping in for a minute…….

Sunnysandy – brilliant news about your daughter’s weight loss – another really good website for recipes is https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes. It gives you the number of carbs in each recipe which I find really helpful and you can even adjust the serving sizes and it adjusts the amounts of ingredients needed. (Can’t help myself, I play with it every time!).
    The site is also full of lots of other great info/presentations etc on low carb, diabetes, intermittent fasting – there’s bits you can only access if you’re a member (I’ve never signed up) but lots free including the recipes – really worth checking out.

Mel First Timer – great news about your blood glucose results xx

HappyKangaroo – just been reading about your visit with your doctor (I’ve been away for a few days) – and for me Mel First Timer described him in a nutshell! Verano reversed her T2 with the BSD, KrysiaD did, I have. As M2M has mentioned there’s Bill1954, Captain Lynne, there’s sunshine-girl, etc. I visit diabetes.co.uk quite a lot and there are loads of success stories on there also. One woman the other day was describing how she’d had normal blood sugars and no complications for over 20 years. (She’d been following the advice of the American doctor who has Type I Diabetes whose name escapes me just now). So as well as being a complete arse, he’s just plain wrong. Good for you for being angry and for ignoring him!!
    Go well everyone
    Marie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunnyside – your daughter is so lucky to have a Mum like you. Well done.

MaggieBath and Marie123 – thank you for the recipe links. Have bookmarked them so
    I can browse through them to get new ideas.

Happykangeroo – was so shocked when I read about your doctors visit. Your doctor’s behaviour was completely unprofessional. I think the saying “success is the best revenge” will be very appropriate. It will be wonderful when he has to “eat his words”. I think he will find it really hard to admit he was so wrong.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi everbody! I thought I should β€œsecond” MaggieBath’s suggestion to use the recipes from Dr. Perlmutter (board certified neurologist) β€” I LOVE his Grain Brain Cookbook β€” the recipes are delicious and extremely BSD friendly. Perlmutter definitely encourages good fats in decent quantities β€” and his focus is on the effects of fat in the brain and how to keep your brain healthy.
    His recipe for moussaka is fantastic and I just tweaked it a bit β€” my OH asks for it all the time.
    Absolutely worth buying this book!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you for reminding me, Julia, about Perlmutter’s cookbook! You and I seem to have the same philosophy about
    our protein sources, so on the strength of your recommendation, I’m going to order it. By the way, I just loved your
    story about the bear cubs in Tahoe! Mostly though, I’m just happy you and your husband are settling into your new full
    time residence there πŸ™‚

Best always,

Allie

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hello Allie, HappyKangaroo, Maggiebath, Marie123KrysiaD
    Allie Hope you have been okay!, my daughter is Insulin resistant too. I will definitely go through Luvtcooks’s thread and take a look at all the suggestions.Thank you SO much, you are so kind.
    MaggieBath-Thank you for sharing the link to David Permutter’s low carb eating. I could have never imagined that a neurologist could come up with such advice about low carb eating. Such men are meant to be respected foe sure as they have given up their careers for the good of health and mankind.
    Marie123-Thank you for sharing the Dietdoctor website. Oh, by the way, the name of the American doctor who you are referring to in your post to Happy kangaroo, is Dr Richard Bernstein. The name of his book is Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution. It’s an excellent book and very useful for those who are diabetic. He has mm has over 4,500 reviews for this particular book! He has maintained his health by eating carb free food since very, many years
    KrysiaD-Thank you for your compliment-I am just a mom who wants good health for my daughter who has multiple and complex conditions.
    Californiagirl-I will order the Grain Brain cookbook. I just noticed that Amazon.com has over 4.500 reviews so he must be doing something right!
    I would like to take the opportunity for thanking each and every one of you for being so supportive, you are ace.
    Before I finish this lengthy post I have a very important question. I just hope that it’s not a stupid one though. Question is-I understand that carbs must not go beyond 20 grams but what about fat? Is there a certain number of grams that needs to be consumed per day or it does not matter? Pardon my ignorance.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sunnysandy, there is nothing that you could possibly ask that would be stupid or ignorant πŸ™‚ Not everyone needs to go
    below 20g of carbs, it just seems to be the solution for some of us. When counting macros, I just set my calories at
    800, net carbs at 20g and used the following formula for protein grams: 1g of protein for every kg of of IDEAL body weight.
    What was left over was allocated to healthy fats, in the form of a portion of avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil and full fat yogurt.
    I never actually counted the fat grams. though. Does this help?

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Allie,
    Thank you for your answer to my query. I will sort of ignore the fat and try to keep the carbs to 20 grams. Hopefully this will help with the weight loss.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi sunnysandy, if you are able to keep your daughter’s carbs down, that’s really the most proactive thing that you can
    do. I know that she has some complex medical issues too, which must be very worrying to you. Each body reacts in
    its own individual and unique way, so sometimes when the scales aren’t reliably moving each week, other internal
    processes are taking place, i.e., inches lost, etc. I imagine getting her to drink 3 liters of water/day would be a challenge
    for anyone to adapt to. It seems to make a significant difference though, in the burning of fat, so just do the best that
    you can with that. Is her medical team supporting both of you? I have so much admiration for you, and I’m always
    around to bounce ideas off of. Just call out, and we will be happy to brainstorm with you anytime! πŸ™‚

xx Allie

• posted by Tapemeasuremum
    on

Hi everyone, great to read all your posts.
    Just back from a few days away in France (yes, I know it sounds as if I am always on holiday but it is just a coincidence!) and read Jason Fung’s book The Obesity Code on the journey. It is definitely worth a read and has persuaded me that fasting is a good thing to do for all sorts of reasons: the most compelling is that it might help to reset your body to think that a lower weight is normal. And so you don’t regain weight as easily. I have just managed to do a 24 hour fast and it wasn’t too bad so I’ll try to do one or two 24 hour fasts each week between now and the end of the 8 week programme. I think Snailrunner has also tried this.

Also there is a programme on BBC1 at 8pm on Wednesday in the series The Truth About …. and this one is on carbs! Should be interesting.

Keep posting everyone

xx

• posted by snailrunner
    on

Hi all

I’m back from Dubai, which was lovely. I hadn’t seen my husband for 7 weeks and he definitely noticed the difference. In fact he walked straight past me at arrivals but his excuse was that he hadn’t realised I’d made it that far already, he thought I was still waiting for a suitcase! He said ‘You haven’t half dropped some weight’ (he’s northern) and asked where my tummy had gone (admittedly I was lying down at this point), so I said it’s still there, there’s just less of it. Now it’s 11 weeks until I see him again πŸ™

I ate very little during the day, which was a good move as we ate out three nights and had a takeaway the other night! We had our anniversary dinner on the QE2, a 7 course tasting menu that was divine. I went to the gym three times and swam twice.

This morning I am 0.9kg up and having a fast day so I will be back to normal pretty quickly. Tapemeasuremum, it really does work well for me. I’m doing about 36 hours, depending on what I do about breakfast (delay or ignore it).

It sounds like you are all doing well, I’ve been keeping up via email.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello Snailrunner,
    Encouraging response from your husband! Really pleased for you. Shame you have to be apart again for so long!
    How is everyone else doing?
    I’ve been reading posts although I haven’t posted for a bit. Weight fluctuates and the tape measure shows pretty much the same as last time although my clothes do feel a lot looser.
    I do really enjoy the food. I have two “holidays” ahead and I really want to stay on track and not overeat, even on BSD friendly food – any advise how I can cope with this? This weekend I am with a friend on the south coast and I have told her I’m low-carbing. In 2 weeks I spend a week in Scotland. Desperately wanted to reach a new stone mark by then but that isn’t likely to happen – as it stands I’m 9lb away, lol.

• posted by Mel First Timer
    on

HappyKangaroo sorry it has been a while since we β€œtalked” I hope all is great with you. Did you attack the Queen’s Birthday sales (or is that this weekend in Australia?) and get some new pants?

My holiday countdown is going well. I spent Week 5 working on maintaining my weight just to prove to myself it is possible. Did okay, then didn’t but are pretty much back on track (lowest weight was 73.9kg I am currently 74.4kg). Just need to learn good habits and remind myself to ensure I still have 2 β€œ800 calories” days to balance out the others.

sunnysandy great job with your daughter keep it up and you will see the results.

Snailrunner sounds like a wonderful holiday. I am not sure that I have your willpower to fast for a day (or 36 hours), most impressed that you do especially while on holiday.

JGwen I too have the scales which measure fat, water and muscle % as well as tell you your weight. While I know they are not 100% accurate it is nice to see the fat % go down. Plus seeing the water and/or muscle % go up it makes me feel a bit better about my weight not moving so I know it’s not from a fat increase. I did try to compare them with the scales at the chemist which does your BMI as well but it’s not like you can access them first thing in the morning (and while naked) – well not if you don’t want to end up on the 6 o’clock news . . . . I liked your post regarding β€œsquidgyness” as I have noticed this around my belly I guess it is the skin not shrinking as fast as the fat behind it.

Welcome to week 6 everyone

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hi Allie,
    Just a question-today my daughter complained of severe cramps on her sides of the tummy and lower abdomen. I took her straight away to the GP where the doctor felt around her tummy and said that it appeared to be pain associated with the colon. She prescribed Buscopan. My question is, would these pains have anything to do with the diet and has anyone else suffered from these tummy pains? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated , both from you and fellow travellers. The Buscopan has helped ease the pain but after the affect wore off after the first dose, I had to give her two more tablets. Just highly concerned.
    Should I be adding more carbs, and if so which ones would these be? I really apologise for the long post. Her GP had referred me to another dietitian a few months ago who said that my daughter should be eating carbs such as weetabix, crumpets, sweet potatoes, rice and pasta. Foods which are just not suitable for someone who is insulin resistant and also has pcos. I have an appointment with her Gp on the 27th of this month with the disability nurse in tow so will see how that goes.
    At the moment I am really worried-it’s my second name πŸ™

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi Sunnysandy

So sorry that you and your daughter are going through all this and I personally just don’t feel equipped to advise what to do, only to say that this diet only seems to have positive effects so I would assume the cramps are not related – unless maybe it is fat beginning to breakdown and shift. But as I said, feel a bit out of my depth on this one.

I did read this article on BBC News this morning though which may be of interest to you and other fellow travellers https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44368601. It refers to a programme on BBC tonight all about carbs and a trial in which people on a low carb diet not only lost weight but improved health (including diabetes in remission). May also be helpful to you and your “wonderful” doctor HappyKangaroo πŸ™‚ But interestingly this doctor (Dr Faisal Maassarani ) makes a distinction between different types of carbs, so worth a read of the article and catching the programme live or on i-Player if either is accessible.

Have a good day everyone X

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, sunnysandy. I’m sorry to hear that your daughter is in pain…No Mother finds that easy. No one here is qualified
    to give medical advice, so I only want to tell you that as a fellow sufferer from IBS, I’ve only heard that this WOE improves
    this condition, not causes it. You’ve done the very best thing, taking your child to the dr to make sure that nothing
    acute is going on. I think that you’re weeks in to this plan though, so this may be totally unrelated. Perhaps the gut biome is
    undergoing some changes? It would be totally irresponsible for any of us to offer medical advice, and the best that I
    can offer is to reassure you that I haven’t met anyone here that has experienced IBS from this lifestyle. Some here
    swear by probiotic foods to change the gut biome, and you may want to read one of informative books available on
    the subject. How is your daughter doing today? I’m so sorry that I don’t have anything more definitive to offer.
    Thinking of you,
    Allie

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Sorry to hear about your daughter Sunnysandy. I suggest you tell the doctor the buscopan wears off and see what they can suggest next? I can only echo the others that we are not equipped to give medical advice but I can give you some of my experience.
    A few years ago I was prescribed buscopan for pain and cramps. They spread throughout me but the pinpoint of pain was near my stomach (higher than you’d think) and on the lower right side of abdomen. No amount of buscopan did anything. To cut a long story short, after much time off work and a spell in hospital and a few attacks, I have gradually changed my eating habits in all sorts of random ways to make sure I never have another attack. It’s a bit scientific, but my ileocecal valve and my pyloric valve weren’t working properly. I still haven’t had a proper diagnosis but I seem to know my body better than the doctors now.
    All sorts of food would jam it up or stick it open. Leafy veg, raw veg, small seeds, broccoli, cauliflower… in many ways it’s a healthy list so everytime I started a diet I couldn’t understand why I was always in so much pain. Some of it was also caused by overeating or not chewing my food properly. Even on the BSD I have to avoid some of these things or it brings on the difficulties again.
    I don’t want to throw a spanner in the works but thought that if your daughter could relate to any of this, it may help. Then again, it may just be IBS and shouldn’t be hindered by the diet or low carb.

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Hi sunnysandy
    I’ve been on holiday but just seen your post. I am diagnosed with IBS and over the years have had every sort of stomach pain and discomfort from food … sometimes innoncent looking meals!

Too much veg that needs heavy digestion or that is very fermented in the gut sets me off but not always usually it takes a cumulative effect. A 2 week course of good probiotics usually helps but it takes a week. It can be very painful. Sipping warm boiled water helps or peppermint tea….. but not too much. Avoid too many heavy digest veg .. space it out and have things that are easier like asparagus

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hi Lessmuffintop,
    Thank you for your reply! My daughter too has IBS and she does have cramps when the dreaded diarrhoea strikes. After doing a lot of research I found out that there is a very strong link with pcos and ibs. This is something that the endocrinologist was not aware of and neither was the GP. This pain emanated from the sides of the tummy, basically in the line of where the ovaries are located. The doctor said that it wasn’t related to the ovaries as one one would cause pain and not both of them. I have been reading about probiotics and how they help with settling down the tummy when IBS is the cause of pain. Is there any particular one that you would recommend? Which are the heavy digest vegetables that you are referring to? Her last meal before the attack was skinny cauliflower cottage pie from the BSD recipe book. I do hear from some people that cauliflower can cause cramps in some people. Thank you so much for you reply, everyone has been so supportive.

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hello Maid2Measure,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, much appreciated. i hope that you are much better now, so sorry for all the agony that you must have gone through. So raw food can cause cramps according to your personal experience. Daughter is okay today and is not in any pain. Unfortunately she was unable to explain what sort of a pain she was experiencing despite asking her several times. However I am going to stop giving her the Buscopan just to see if the pain is still there. It’s just so stressful right now. Hopefully things will settle down and this will just be related to her IBS. I appreciate you reply, thanks again!

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Daer Alliecat,
    Thanks for your reply, yes my daughter is much better now. however i don’t know wheter it’s because she is taking the Buscopan . I am not going to give her another dose this evening just to see if the pain is still there. If it persists then I will definitely take her to the GP again. I have heard of gut biome and know that gut health is SO important for overall health. The gut biome has to be balanced and if it’s not then health issues crop up. Allie, one other question-I have cut out the sugar completely on this diet. We started on the 22nd of April on the BSD diet. Can I start introducing fruits such as [ears and berries into the diet? I mean so far I have been giving her mixed berries in the yogurt and apple porride but not on their own. From what I read, one should only eat two serving a day-is that right? You are so helpful-thank you fro your support.

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hello dreamscometrue,
    I just watched that video and must admit that those cakes certainly made my mouth water! Why do all the delicious things have to be so bad for health? On a serious note, ever since I started my daughter on this diet, her cravings have really lessened and I feel so good about that! Previously she used to rummage all the cupboards and eat ketchup straight from the bottle, eat up the bread in the fridge and finish off a who;le packet of biscuits, all without my knowledge. Funny enough she would also crave butter. I am wondering why though. Could it be that her body was crying for fat?
    Please would you be kind enough to explain what you mean by-It could be the fat that is trying to break down?
    Your reply to my question is really appreciated. Thank you all travellers. I wish you all good health. Our destination is the same for sure.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m glad that things are looking better today, SunnySandy. Introducing fruits can be a little tricky, because they
    are so high in carbs, so really don’t have a place in the Fast 800. A pear, for example, has 22.5g. Most of us limit
    fruit to a small portion of berries only, maybe 6-8. It’s only 2 years in that I’m experimenting with a few cubes of
    canteloupe melon, to start. I’ve been ruminating on your beautiful daughter’s situation, though, and I have another
    thought about how to quiet down this episode of IBS…..My husband was put on a short term “low residue die”t following
    surgery for colon cancer last year. What I’m thinking is that using this briefly might get her over this attack. Cruciferous
    vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts are the antithesis of this. Asparagus and stringbeans might
    be better. Nuts, seeds wouldn’t be the best for her right now, or anything else that is high fiber. Long term,, high fiber
    diets are much better, but quieting down what is going on in her large and small intestine is what I’d be looking to
    do for my own child. I took a quick look on the internet, and there are many sites that outline this approach. I’m
    just trying to brainstorm with you Sandy, not offer medical advice. πŸ™‚ I hope these thoughts are helpful. Call upon
    me ANYTIME, I’m always happy to share ideas!

Hugs,

Allie

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Allie, I APPRECIATE your advice ! I have been making the porridge for my daughter thinking that perhaps I should increase the carbs a little bit but don’t even know if i am doing the right thing. Her GP is really great but when it comes to weight loss, insulin resistance, pcos etc-I personally feel that her knowledge is limited. Do you think that blueberries with fried eggs would be good for breakfast? These are low in calories. If yes, then can blueberries be eaten once a day/? So basically I should avoid foods like broccolli, sprouts and cauliflower as these may cause disturbances in the tummy. I will do that and see if helps.
    I apologise for asking so many questions.
    Another question is-Do yo think that the 5:2 diet book recipes are good? I noticed that some of the foods in the recipes are very high in carbs. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. Take care.

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Allie,I hope your husband has recovered from his colon cancer operation and is now hale and hearty.

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Sunnysandy
    There is something called the FoDmap diet which identifies food that ferments in gut and likely to cause IBS pain.

But basically is a try it and observe.
    The things I never eat are garlic powder and onion powder … often in commercially produced food so make all my own. I don’t eat raw onion, leeks,celery, spring onion only cooked. Mushrooms apples pineapple and bananas I can’t take.

Everything else I eat.

Too many vegetables , too much fat and too much food in one go set me off.

This diet is great for IBS mainly because you are not overloading your stomach but with proviso off probably watch high fat intake. Fat molecules take longer to go through digestive tract and can cause some pain and cramping. Hormones do exacerbate it. My daughter 19 has same and monthly can have quite bad episodes. IBS I had a higher prevalence in women probs for that reason.

Probiotics really help no make just a good one from a health shop or amazon. Evidence for probiotics helping most things including immunity is really strong.
    There is some evidence of vitamin d helping and we all score low here in Scotland !
    Hope that helps .. there is lots on internet and everyone is different …I have 2/ 3 children who suffer and they can react to random meals.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, SunnySandy. He has recovered from the surgery, but we still live with his stage 3 heart failure everyday.
    Do you use one of the apps to count carbs? I’m a dinosaur, and still don’t have an iphone, but I made a food diary by
    food group with portion sizes, so keep track that way. What is curious is that fatsecret site lists 1/2c fresh blueberries
    at 40cal. and carbs at 8.8g, but the nutrition panel on a bag of frozen berries says 80cal. and 17carbs? Eggs and berries
    for breakfast sounds great, but probably need to measure the berries! Since I like raspberries, I just add 1/4c to my
    greek yogurt each morning….I’m hoping, along with you, that this episode of IBS will turn out to just be an isolated
    incident. Since I began eating fermented UNPASTEURIZED kimchi in 1/4 c. portion each day, I’v been free of occasional
    IBS symptoms. I do have a good source, but it wouldn’t help you I’m afraid, as it is American, like me πŸ™‚ I’ve not used any
    of the recipes from the book because they contain more carbs than what I allow myself each day. I hope others that
    do will weigh in on them! I’ve been cooking for over 4 decades, so I just adapted my own recipes to make them BSD
    friendly. Keep in touch!

Allie

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Dear lessmuffintop,
    Thank you for such an illuminating reply-you have a point about the fat molecules taking longer to go through the digestive tract. I feel that that’s what caused the horrible pain. These forums are so helpful, many of us know very little about this way of eating and it’s thanks to you all that we attain so much knowledge in the process. I thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hi Allie
    Here I am back again with what I feel is a major problem . I am hoping that other respected travellers can also give advice on how to handle this issue as I am at the end of my tether. as you are ware my daughter has health issues such as insulin/leptin resistance, ibs, pcos and a learning disability and I have put her on the BSD diet on the 22 Nd of April so that she could improve her insulin resistance and also bring her weight down from the 79 and a half kilos she was at. Yesterday was weigh day and I am happy to announce that her weight stands at 75.2 kilos.
    Now comes the bit that really frustrates me. I caught my daughter rummaging through the fridge and then eating slices of bread. I questioned her on her actions and she finally admitted that she whenever I dropped her off to my friend’s house, (I work part time as a support worker for adults with various disabilities-gives me respite and helps with keeping the kitchen fires burning)she would eat up bananas and ice cream from her fridge. My friend didn’t have the heart to stop her. My daughter said that her cravings were really bad and she couldn’t stop herself from eating carbs she so dearly loves.
    I am not sure on how to handle this issue as she has been eating things secretly without my knowledge. Should I serve her a small fun sized apple after dinner? Keto desserts? On one hand I know that sweeteners like Stevia, Xylitol can still cause insulin resistance . Do I have any options at all on how to tackle these cravings? Her belly is still huge but she has lost weight which is positive. A friend suggested some dark chocolate. Are there any desserts that I could make for her, even something simple as ice cream? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I was also thinking of strawberries as well. I look forward for suggestions. So sorry for disturbing all of you with my issues.

on

Ah Sunnysandy that is a tough one! Though at least it explains some of the discrepancies. I would suggest some BSD friendly snacks as a starting point. Check the BSD recipe book: off the top of my head I remember making some lovely parmesan crackers from there and there are probably a lot more ideas in there too.

Sorry for short post but am dashing to work in a minute. Especially wanted to say hello to HappyKangaroo and see how you are getting on? Also to everyone else on this thread. I’ve stalled a bit for various reasons but am going to try and nail it these next 4 weeks before I go on holiday so will check in again soon.

Here’s hoping!!

on

Hi everyone – I think we are in week 7 and all still doing well.

Although I am definitely not going to meet my target of 4″ lost round my waist, I have definitely lost 2″ and possibly a bit more (tape measuring is not an exact science) and it really hasn’t been too bad. I have strayed a bit while on holidays and still managed to move things in the right direction so at the end of this 8 week programme I will just carry on.

Trying to have one day of fasting a week and I am sure, as snailrunner said earlier, it does make a difference. According to Jason Fung’s book fasting gets easier if you practice but I’m not there yet. Still requires quite a big mental effort!

How is everyone doing? Please keep posting.

xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi tapemeasuremum! I don’t really follow this thread (on toooo many others πŸ™‚ ) but I did see your post today,
    and must congratulate you on your inches lost to date! Recording in terms of inches lost instead of using the
    scales seems to be very successful for you! There is definitely something to be said for it πŸ™‚ I don’t know if you
    happened to see JGwen’s post today on both the weekly challenge and the 4 week one, but it is quite extraordinary.
    In 4 weeks time she dropped 3″ from her waist and 3.5″ from her hips, although the scales only drifted downward
    by @ 1 1/2lbs! She’s definitely on to something there, and it’s wonderful to read of the progress that you are
    both making πŸ™‚ As sunshine-girl says, KOKO !
    Happy to see you today πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Allie

on

Dear Allie

Thank you so much for your post, KOKO indeed!

xxx

• posted by Pancita
    on

Sunnysandy – may I suggest a dessert of “almost ice cream”, our favourite BSD-friendly pudding. Use frozen mixed berries, or frozen raspberries. Add 1 part of berries to about 2 parts Greek yogurt in a blender, blitz until mixed and eat immediately, it will melt very quickly. You can play about with proportions to suit yourself and your daughter. I hope you will enjoy it. We also often have berries and cream for pudding.
    Also, may I suggest clearing all the bread and other carbs into your freezer or bin!
    Best wishes xx

• posted by HappyKangaroo
    on

hello hello hello!! I was sycling to work 11 days ago and got hit by a car. My backi is broken in two places, broken ribs, internal issues. Learning to walk again, can’t sit up or do anything for myself/// I cvan type though so that is good.. ypeing this upsdie down from my bed using the hospital floating touchscreen.
    ,Good news? I stuck to lchf totally and have found out that I have lost 12 kilograms in total. My blood sugars are toally normal on every reading, the staff after being cynical at the hospital are now supportive and surprised. Blood sugar is noramally between 5.5 and 6.2 non fasting. whoo hoo
    ladf to be ale to finallly reset mny password here and login and say hi. It has been the darkest days of mylife,. but mobing forward. oing to read everyones posts/ orry for all the typos… by for now!

• posted by snailrunner
    on

Oh my goodness happykangaroo! What a lot you have to deal with, You sound so upbeat and deservedly pleased with what you have achieved. 12kg is amazing. I really hope that you make a speedy recovery and are back home before too long. Sending you hugs and best wishes, snailrunner xx

on

Oh HappyKangaroo I don’t know what to say apart from I am so so very sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you a speedy recovery.

In other news WOW and WOW 12 kgs that is amazing, and great job with your blood sugar levels – you must feel very happy as so you should.

Sending you a big (and gentle) mental hug xo

on

30th APRIL – today, confirmed weight loss is 12.6 kilos. 27.72 lbs, just shy of two stone. haha I can now look that doctor in the eye and say I did it. Non fasting blood sugar 5.2. If I could do a happy dance, I would!!! And I walked for the first time last night, things are looking good!!

on

Oh HappyKangaroo am so sorry to hear about your accident! I thought it was odd we hadn’t heard from you for a while. What a terrible thing to happen and I’m so glad that you’re beginning to make a recovery – and you’re even upbeat enough to type upside down πŸ˜‰

Your weight loss is phenomenal! 2 stone in 6 weeks is amazing. Very well done! We’ll do the happy dance on your behalf πŸ™‚

Even more amazing is the fact your blood sugars are normal again. I’m sure we’re all looking forward to hearing what your charming doctor has to say about that – particularly now you have the hospital staff on side.

Sending you every good wish for a complete recovery.

And hello to everyone else on this thread and hope you are going well?

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

HappyKangaroo, you are so positive. You have had so much thrown at you! I’m glad you’re sticking through this and 12kg loss is absolutely amazing. Keep going my friend πŸ™‚ You’re an inspiration for me to stick on the wagon, if you can do it while ill, then I can do it while well!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Happykangaroo, sorry to hear about your injuries, I am glad to hear of your success on weight loss.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Ooh, all that and you’re still a Happy Kangaroo!
    Best wishes that it all continues to go well for you. But what a wonderful achievement losing so much weight and compressing the medics. That must have been wonderful to see their cynicism to acceptance. In the UK 51% of NHS staff are overweight- if it’s the same in Oz I’ll bet there’s some going home and downloading the BSD book!
    Take good care of yourself x
    Maggie

on

Hello everyone and thank you for all your lovely messages. I can’t quite believe what has happened but still fought the good fight to eat low carb in the hospital, they were all so against it. Now, they can see it works. Loving all your updates and happy to hear how you are all doing. Me, my life is the bed and what is in arms reach, thank goodness for this floating touchscreen with internet, movies and tv. Hey we are nearly there all of us! Good luck, keep up the good work! x

on

HappyKangaroo enjoy all the movies & good luck with the tv shows so many made these days and a lot of them are the terrible but cannot look after type. Who knows what will get you hooked πŸ˜†

I am off on my holiday tomorrow & managed to talk myself out of packing bathroom scales. Going for prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

on

Dear HappyKangaroo, I do hope you are feeling OK and good luck with all the TV shows. You have done an amazing job in hospital and your blood sugar results are brilliant. Think we have just over a week to go, keep posting everyone!

xx

on

Hello everyone

Well, I think this is the end of week 8 – so many congratulations to everyone on the 30 April group for completing the course. I think we should all post our successes today and raise a glass of water to toast each other. I am so grateful to all of you to posting your inspiring stories during the past few weeks – there have been some ups and definitely some downs too (how are you doing, HappyKangaroo?) – no one said that following this programme would be easy. Definitely possible though, and we have all made progress.

I started this programme because I wanted to get my waist measurement to equal half of my height, as recommended on a recent BBC TV programme and elsewhere. This meant losing 4″. I don’t weigh myself but I am quite aware of whether or not my clothes fit, and they were definitely on the tight side. I have lost 3″, so not quite there yet, but progress in the right direction.

After reading Snailrunner’s posts and doing a bit of research myself I have switched to intermittent fasting and that has definitely speeded things up. The weather is good here at the moment and that makes everything so much easier. I am going to press on and try to remove that extra inch.

Good luck to everyone, keep posting.

xx

• posted by snailrunner
    on

Hello all

I’ve been a bit AWOL from here lately, too much going on with packing up the house and getting things sorted. I feel like my whole life is advertised on either Ebay or Shpock. I have made a fair amount of money by selling clothes, bicycles, furniture etc.

So, eight weeks tomorrow! Tapemeasuremum, 3″ is a great achievement and the other will be gone before you know it. I’m glad I inspired you!

HappyKangaroo, I hope you are recovering well and educating all the medical staff you encounter on BSD!

I’m not sure what tomorrow morning’s weigh in will bring but as of today I have lost 18lbs and my BMI has dropped 3 points from 23.4 to 20.4. I may not have been technically overweight but I don’t carry excess weight in an even distribution manner so the biggest visible difference is in my hips, thighs, tummy and waist. I can comfortably fit in my size 8s now and have even had to put some of my 10s on Ebay. Moving to Dubai makes me feel like I need a bikini body all year round and I’m only 1.8kg away from my original goal. I’m now fasting (liquid only) 2 days a week and still losing steadily. I might go 1.5kg lower than my original target, not sure yet.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations, tapemeasuremum and snailrunner! You’re both stars πŸ™‚ What are your plans for maintenance?

Please log in or register to post a reply.