Starting 30 April Looking for fellow travellers!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sunnysandy, it’s wonderful to hear from you, and your profound love for your daughter deeply
    touches my heart. I adhered to this protocol for 10 months without interruption, losing
    140lbs in the process. I’ve maintained that loss and added another 8 lbs to it for just over
    a year. I’m highly insulin resistant, so had to drop my carbs to a low figure of 20g. per
    day, which became clear to me, essentially by trial and error. No damage whatsoever
    was done to my metabolism, and today I can eat @ 1500 cal. a day, as long as I continue
    to keep my carbs relatively low. In maintenance, we each have to figure out what that
    “trigger point” is. Each body is different, but for me that sweet spot is under 40g/day.
    If I may ask, how old is your lovely daughter? Everyone stores fat in different proportions
    in specific areas of their body, so it would be very difficult to ascertain the amount of
    time that would be required for your precious child to be rid of it. What I do know is that
    a waist measurement in excess of half one’s height is considered unhealthy. We don’t
    know how many extra lbs your daughter is carrying? I hope that this is a starting point
    of things for you to consider. Call out at anytime, and it would be my privilege to share the benefit
    of 23 months of my experience with you!

xx Allie

• posted by HappyKangaroo
    on

Hello everyone, just a quick check in to see how you are all going. In Australia it is Friday already, so it is day 5 of week 2. Everything steady, eating going ok. I’m averaging 7g of carbs a day, thank you Calorie King webside in Australia for caluclating that for me. I made some 90 second bread last night which is made from almond flour and low in carbs (properly low, not relatively low) and it was not bad at all, next time I think I will put in some herbs to up the flavour a bit. Discovered that I can have paté, avocado dip too, so I was pleased about that.

Less Muffin Top,wow that is so impressive saying no to Scottish fish and chips! The fish and chips in this country just are not the same, doesn’t matter just now I guess lol it makes is easier to resist. Well done you for saying no.

Maid2Measure, it’s 10 miles round Cumbrae? I had no idea it was that far. You mentioning that brought back some lovely memories.

Sunnysandy, I read your post a couple of times and I am not sure what the answer is. The amount of calories per day is pretty low and because your daughter has specific medical needs I would hesitate to give advice. You are clearly dedicated to her well being and I would hate to see you take her down a path that may not be the best for her. People might go longer but we don’t really know what the long term effect of that will be, and the book states it is for a specific amount of time, and the supporting research and initial study that was the basis for the book was for a short period also. I say ‘may’ because I don’t know, and maybe only a doctor would be able to really say. I relative of mine had a child with similar issues and I know that she struggled a lot with his diet. Like your daughter, he would be on a mission to find the biscuits (he was always hungry) and it was very much a battle of wills, I hear what you are saying. We are here to support you, and well done for doing so well so far 🙂

Look forward to hearing from you all

Cheers
    🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sunnysandy, I’m so sorry, but I neglected to recommend additional reading that may be
    indispensible to you in determining the efficacy of adhering to this way of eating long term.
    The author is Gary Taubes, and the title of his book is “Why We Get Fat, and What To Do
    About It”. I consider it to be the “Bible” for those of us who are insulin resistant, and I
    found it life changing for managing my health long term. I’ve been freed forever from
    living a yo yo dieting existence! It’s liberating in a miraculous way. You mentioned that
    your daughter has pcos, also. A great friend to this forum, Esnecca, gained 200+lb with
    this condition over 20 year period. Her story is inspirational, and looking through her
    posting history might give you additional insight. Following 14 months of the Fast800,
    she shred all of the weight, and has completely recovered her life. Insulin resistance is
    part of pcos. I hope this is helpful 🙂
    Allie

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi Happy Kangaroo and everyone just checking in. Similar to an earlier post, I do read all posts as they come through to email, but don’t often get a chance to post myself. But I’m still here and doing ok: no significant loss to report as yet but have halted the slight upward trend and have set myself new targets to aim for. I am doing a Race for Life at work in 5 weeks time and am determined to run it (I’m not a runner!) not just walk it so have also drawn up a little training plan (based on Couch to 5K) to run alternate days and swim the days in between. I’m hoping that this exercise boost combined with a more disciplined sticking to the BSD will help me shed those remaining few pounds and inches over the next few weeks, and will keep you posted.

Lovely to hear all your news. Well done to all! SunnySandy sounds like your daughter is doing well so far and I guess it’s a case of taking things a bit at a time and seeing what does and does not work for her specific circumstances.Thanks to everyone for all the advice, encouragement and inspiration. Hope we all have good progress to report over the next week – but also don’t be discouraged if things do stall at times. Everyone’s body is different and loses weight in its own peculiar way! Allie I will certainly look at that book you recommend – it’s always good to have fresh input and inspiration.

Have a great weekend everyone X

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Sunnysandy,
    Our bodies seem to loose our fat stores to their own plans.
    I believe that the reason for Dr MM recommending an 8 week BSD cycle was that this would help target the fat around the organs including the liver which is the most dangerous place for fat stores.
    I have been on the 20/800 since mid October. I had/have a lot of fat to loose – by the time I finish there will be 100lbs less of me. So to answer your question about the fat on your daughters belly, – yes that will reduce, but the body will also loose fat from other parts of the body, and the experience of most of us is that the most stubborn fat deposit is the spare tyre.
    I know that Alliecat has already recommended the book Why we get fat, if its easier to combine caring for your daughter with watching videos I would recommend looking for Jason Fungs talks on youtube. – He does explain very clearly why if you keep the carbs low, your body doesn’t adapt to low calorie diet (you may hear of this adaption as starvation mode)m so there is no long term health problem caused by staying low carb and low calorie. There is a long term problem of staying normal or high carb and low calorie.

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Dear Alliecat, Happy Kangaroo, Dreamscometrue and JGwen,
    First and foremost, thank you SO much for your replies, I was so touched! I didn’t expect such a response from so many of yiu. I feel so much better knowing that I am being supported in very many ways and also being encouraged in this journey. yes, Allie, my daughter is 19 years of age and was diagnosed with pcos 12 years ago. I had always suspected insulin resistance due to her big belly and even asked her endocrinologist since the past two years to conduct some tests but unfortunately none of the consultants heard me out. I finally reached out to a nutritionist who said that the best way forward was to carry out tests privately. She got the Regenerus test for me and the results showed that my daughter was both Insulin and leptin resistant. I have placed my order for the Gary Taubes book from Amazon! So basically after reading the wonderful advice that you all have given me in these posts I have decided that I will continue with the diet but perhaps will increase the calories from 800 to 1000 and try to keep the carbs down as much as possible. Allie, I am going to look for Esnecca’s posts and read about her inspirational story. I just want to prevent diabetes. I am a bit confused about something though-my daughters HbA1c is 29 but she is insulin resistant. What exactly would this indicate?
    Happy Kangaroo(I love this name), you are so right, it’s tough hiding the cookies and candy from her but I have found a solution-I have stopped buying them. I feel guilty but I have to be cruel to be kind. i hope that your relative found a solution to her/his problems with the child.
    Dreamscometrue, thank you for your support and words of encouragement-much appreciated.
    JGwen, -looks like each one of you have made such fantastic progress which gives me so much hope for my beloved daughter. * months a a long time, Alliecat’s was even longer! Jason Fung is ace, he explains things in such simple words that even a layman would understand. I had ordered his book The Obesity Code four days ago. This evening the postman just delivered it to me and I am looking forward to reading it. I am also going to order the Gary Taubes books as per Allie’s advice. Thank you all-you guys are great.

• posted by Tapemeasuremum
    on

Morning everyone, just back from a week in Skye so maybe not the best diet week ever (yes, I had the fish and chips!) but a beautiful place and a really lovely holiday. Also we did a great deal of walking and many of you will know that there are lots of hills. Unfortunately the tape measure never lies and I can’t report any losses yet. I should be better at this now and will keep at it for the next couple of weeks, will be seriously counting carbohydrates as well as trying to keep below 800 and I am optimistic that this will work. Still have 4 inches to lose.

Happy Sunday everyone xx

• posted by snailrunner
    on

Hi all, I’ve been reading on email but not getting many chances to post. I’m still trying hard, under 800 every day since I started on 30 April and now almost two weeks in have lost 7.5lbs (3.4kg). That’s almost a third of my goal so I’m really pleased and I can certainly feel the difference in my clothes. I even went out for pizza on Thursday but had the Pizza Express Leggera with a hole in the middle filled with salad that’s just over 400 calories!

It sounds like life is getting in the way for some of you but the determination shines through. I think when you are on holiday it’s important to make the most of being there and not make yourself miserable so Tapemeasuremum I bet you enjoyed every bite!

Sunnysandy, I’ve recently re-read The Obesity Code too, and then watched some of his videos online so I have been inspired to do a 24 hour fast until this evening. I usually do about 14-16 hours from dinner until I eat the next day but I have done 36 hours before so I know I can do this. I’m just off to the gym too so not sure if I will fade quite quickly!!

Hope you all have a good Sunday and here’s to another successful week ahead!

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Ahh Snailrunner, Great that you’ve managed to fast for such long periods. I have bought the book and plan on reading it as soon as possible. Alliecat has also suggested Gary’s book. We are all working towards the same goal, I hope that you reach your goals very soon, good luck!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy close to the weekend, ladies 🙂 To all who are determined to increase their personal knowledge
    of the low carb lifestyle, it is my humble opinion that MMosley’s book(s), Jason Fung’s “The Obesity
    Code” and Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat..and What To Do About It” are the triumverate in terms of
    creating your own library. They are each supportive of this lifestyle, and co-companion works.
    Congratulations on wanting to “know it all”, and providing yourselves with the tools to accomplish
    it. 🙂 I’m looking forward to hearing your impressions, so please share them!
    Best wishes for a successful BSD week!

Allie

on

Thanks Alliecat for another lovely post and also to Snailrunner too – it is about winning the war rather than individual battles! Am looking forward to a good week back in a normal routine. Think I am going to read the books by Jason Fung and Gary Taubes also.

Good luck everyone

xx

on

Hi everyone, it’s start of week three! I can’t believe it has come around so fast! Happy Mother’s Day to everyone, hope you all had a fabulous time! It was a beautiful day in Adelaide and my lovely son gave me a small Le Creuset pot and some digital food scales which I’m so pleased about, I really needed those scales! Today I made a variation of the 90 second bread, but added some sugar free chocolate powder and some vanilla essence, chucked it in the oven and it came out, I can’t describe how delicious it was! I made enough for 2-3 portions, I could have eaten the whole thing.

I have to fly, I have a really busy week this week. How are you all going? Is anyone here who is not usually an excerciser who is exercising? My son’s girfriend who is pretty knowledgeable about these things has offered to take me to the local park to do the outside gym there, so nice of her. Getting to my gym, the one I rejoined, it’s hard. It’s hard to make the time, I know it’s a priority, but I want to try to go 5 times a week, and I just don’t know if it’s going to happen.

The good news is that my trousers are loose around the waist!! Woo hoo!!

• posted by Mel First Timer
    on

HappyKangaroo sounds like you had a nice Mothers Day & have a great relationship with your son & his girlfriend. 😊
    After going off track last week – hit the carbs on Thursday & it wasn’t pretty. I actually had a crash afterwards & a furry feeling tongue the next day. I am back on track & super upset with myself for putting myself back. Took me until Sunday to get my weight back to what it was Thursday morning. Let me be a tale of caution to you all.
    On the positive side I am even more motivated now to stick to this & make it work.

on

Mel First Timer,
    It’s so easy to beat yourself up, but you know you have come a long way and I guess you know that and it’s so easy to have a slip when there is a special occassion. It’s getting colder here and that I find a bit of a challenge, eating the right things in cold weather. Right now I have a tiny chicken dish in my tiny casserole dish. Honestly, if you saw it you would think I was expecting an elf for dinner haha it is so small. So hungry right now, I might go and see if it’s ready 🙂 Take care Mel First Timer, looking forward to your next post!

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hello Happy Kangaroo and Alliecat.
    Just thought that this site would be of some help to those of you looking for low carb recipes. Please google Linda’s low carb recipes.
    . Each recipe has the fat, protein, carb etc content outlined at the bottom of the recipe. Hope this helps ! There are induction recipes, soups, desserts and main course dishes as well. Good luck- I am not sure if they would be of any use when doing the bsd but no harm in going through them. Please I would appreciate it if any of you would give me feedback if theses recipes are of any use with people who have pcos.

• posted by snailrunner
    on

So today as two weeks in, after a 20 hour fast yesterday I had high hopes….then my weight this morning was higher than yesterday morning!! Gutted. I know it’s not significant but it’s the first increase I’ve had in two weeks of BSD and daily weighing, so as you can imagine, I was quite taken aback. I don’t know whether the fact it was a 5.50am weigh in instead of a 10am weigh in like yesterday made any difference. It was still less than the day before that. Let’s see what tomorrow brings!

I’m reading ‘The Complete Guide to Fasting’ by Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore. Fascinating stuff. I might try to fit in a few 24 hour fasts before I go away on 29 May.

HappyKangaroo, I hope the elf enjoyed his dinner!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Snailrunner,
    Initially my weight changes were constantly downward, but after a while I found it changed once I reached the whoosh phase. Now I have days were despite sticking to the diet, fluid out doesn’t match fluid in and my weight creeps up each day but my measurements change downward, and then I have a whoosh night and my weight drops to a new low.

Is it linked to the size of the area of fat the body is working on, (ie spare tyre rather than spare chin) , or the age of the fat. Don’t know, but providing you are sticking to low carbs and low cals just KOKO and it will sort itself out.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello everyone. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s updates. Seems quite Scottish! Tapemeasuremum, I’ve always wanted to go to Skye. Tell me, is it as melancholy and beautiful as I imagine? I hope to go this year.
    The scales have registered a tiny loss, but more importantly I feel thinner. Enjoying the sunshine and trying to drink enough water. Keep going MelFirstTimer, its not about failing, it’s about learning to get up again. In the words of Albert Einstein, he pities the man who never made a mistake, as it meant he never tried anything new.

on

Thanks Maid2Measure – I like the quote and I am happy to say that I am ‘back on the horse” so to speak. Helps my husband has decided to go Palo – no chips or bread in the house now 🙂 We went to a Palo cafe for brunch on Sunday and I got a range of side dishes – salad, avocado and smoked salmon. It was very good and all small portions, so I knew I did not overdo it. Yes, smoked salmon is high in calories, but I have been included it my menus so had a good idea how many calories it would have been. It also kept me full and I only had a small chicken salad for dinner.

Snailrunner unfortunately your weight can go up just because you didn’t get a good night’s sleep or are a bit backed up (I managed to lose almost a kg once just because I had been backed up for a few days). Hang in there and think of how far you have already come.

Happy Kangaroo now is a great time to get into soups. You can get very creative and best of all freeze portions ready for future meals. I do find I have to stop myself from snacking as I am cooking so this limits the time I spend preparing food. This one caught my eye http://www.thebantingchef.co.za/recipes/soup/currycauliandleeksoup.html I just need to weigh and measure ingredients, so I know the calories. I am also going to try the red capsicum and feta – with some more veggies added to fill it up.

I got the Bioscan on Saturday and was very pleased with the results, that is under I got down to my waist circumference – no way am I 81cm. I questioned this (twice) and was told it was the measurement across my belly button. I was too embarrassed to ask for him to get a tape measure and prove it – so got my husband to do it when I got home. Given I am 92cm that is a huge different. Not going back for a follow up!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Mel! Wild salmon is a bit higher in calories, but it is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, and it’s the best heart
    healthy fat that we can eat. A 3.5 oz portion is 141.2 calories, and contains 19.7g of protein. I know it’s
    hard to lose the notion that fat is the enemy in light of what we’ve been brainwashed with since the 80’s.
    I find that eating a portion of wild salmon keeps me satiated for extended periods of time. You seem to
    be on a great path, so best of luck to you. It’s not the calories, but the bad carbs/sugar that hinder progress.
    Not all calories are equal, and healthy fat is our friend. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Talking of not having a good nights sleep I had a terrible one last night. Nonetheless weighed myself this morning and have lost a pound since yesterday. Something eventually shifting I hope. It really does seem these whooshes and plateaus are finally affecting me good and hard, I just have to keep on eating the right way…. my gut seems to be killing off a lot of bad bacteria at the moment so it must be incredibly good for me!
    Soups are really important – low calorie and really filling for a good lunch option, which gives you a bit more calorie leeway with it to add cheese etc.
    How is everybody doing?

on

Skye is lovely Maid2Measure, well worth a visit. You are never far from a wonderful view of the sea, the walking is fantastic and if you steer clear of the touristy bits you will have it to yourself. Also lots of lovely food but we won’t speak about that here.

Although I am not measuring until a week on Monday my clothes are definitely fitting better and that is good. Also thought about the general benefits of the diet and there are several: food that is enjoyable to eat (definitely agree about soups); generally it feels good to be tacking action; plus we have a great community here. It may take longer that 8 weeks but that is fine.

It is going to be a sunny weekend so hooray!

Anyone have some good coleslaw / salad recipes?

xx

• posted by snailrunner
    on

Hi everyone, it’s unusually quiet on here today! I hope you are all doing ok.

Congrats on your loss Maid. I’m heading in the right direction too, now down 4.1kg/9lbs. Something really odd has happened – I have a pair of smart navy slim leg work trousers from Next. I used to put off wearing them because the left leg was too narrow on the calf and that trouser leg would somehow catch and ride up as I walked. Now, not only do they fit much more comfortably at the waist, the tight calf is tight no longer and I can wear them like normal trousers! Bizarre stuff, but much more useful as they are part of a suit.

on

Hi everyone and hope your week has gone well? Just to say Snailrunner that I have also found “odd” losses along the way. Even if the scales aren’t moving down (on which point It sounds like you are doing great btw 😉 you suddenly realise that a bit of your body has changed. With me for example I noticed that there was a hollow curve in my back again, above my bum, rather than a solid wall of flesh! Then another time looked in the bathroom mirror and realised my arms were definitely looking skinnier – as if it kind of happened overnight.

Our paths will all be different but if we’re following this WOE then the weight loss and body restructuring is an ongoing thing even at those times when it is not particularly showing on the scales. So keep at it everyone!

Happy weekend – we’re nearly there 🙂

on

Hello everyone! Hope you are all doing well. This week I started a new job, which presented the problem of being in an uncontrolled environment and I wasn’t sure how I would fare. There are so many temptations in an office… charity boxes with chocolate, making sure I have the right food with me etc. I’m happy to report that it all went really well. I made sure I had the right food, and kept the portions tiny and walking every lunchtime for half an hour. On Friday afternoon someone came around with an almond pastry cake, it looked pretty good, and I said no! They even left it right next to my desk and I wasn’t even tempted, wow that was an achievement! It was pouring with rain and dark when I finished work but I still made it to the supermarket to get my supplies for the weekend.
    I reorgainsed my kitchen this week, getting out my fancy food processor I haven’t used in a long time, my new gram scales thanks to my lovely son, set up next to the cooker. So if I want to whisk up some 90 second bread, it will take one minute and 90 seconds! I still have to go through my cupboards and get rid of the remaining temptations that have sugar in them like tomato sauce. The fridge is now filled with good choices only. I still have not sneaked anything naughty, not a single thing in three weeks and I’m feeling great about that. I have not weighed myself, but clothes are definitely looser. I’m pleased that the stress of a new job didn’t lead me to do something stupid. I’m still well within the 800 calorie limit and wonder why I am not ever terribly hungry and wonder why I needed to eat so much food relatively speaking before diagnosis. My friend says it’s my stomach ‘shrinking’, I don’t know if that happens and think it is probably the hormones changing, but I’m not complaining! Looking forward to hearing how you are all doing… week three is nearly over!! How good is that! It’s amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it! I have even been able to keep watching The Great British Bakeoff and not feel deprived! So, it’s all good!

• posted by snailrunner
    on

HappyKangaroo, glad the new job is going well. It really sounds like you have it all under control right now.

I love BakeOff too, and between Weds and Friday I did a 40 hour fast that included watching a new series called Britain’s Best Home Cook, First Dates and Million Pound Menu!! I broke my fast with lunch on Friday but really wasn’t bothered. If I hadn’t been out on a school trip with lunch provided I would probably have fasted until dinner. One of the kids gave me a cupcake on Thursday so I graciously accepted it and then threw it in the bin when I got back to my office. I don’t like to waste food but there was no way I was going to eat it.

Monday is weigh in day and I will measure again too, haven’t done that in about two weeks.

Hope you are all having a good weekend. Not much going on here but I did enjoy the royal wedding.

on

HappyKangaroo I hope you are all settled into your new job. Change can be hard but try to think of it as a way of letting go of old bad habits and creating new, healthy, ones.

I made up two soups in the weekend and made a silly mistake. One had coconut milk in it which I decided to swap with sour cream. I used the same amount and ended up with a very rich dip. Had to add a lot more veggie stock to enjoy it. I also made the Moroccan meatballs with cauliflower rice which is in the Blood Sugar Diet cook book. I am not sure what mince was used as I used a lean Angus beef mince, measured everything out to calculate the calories and it came out as 209 calories for the meatballs. I also used 500g not 400g as listed in the recipe. Goes to show you need to weigh and check everything.

Week 4 everyone!!! We will be half way there before you know it! I know I am very glad I (finally) got started on this. 5.5kgs lost, 3cm around my belly and the same or more around my upper body. Some dresses I used to have to sit straight up in if I wanted to breath are now fitting nicely. I even managed to fit back into my wedding dress (been almost 14 years and I got a slip style dress, so the only shaping provided came from my body – used the flowers to cover my stomach in the photos ). I am thinking of surprising my husband when we go on holiday in June by wearing it when we go out for our anniversary dinner. We eloped and got married in Edinburgh, so it is not a white dress, meaning you cannot tell it is a wedding dress. Just in case you thought I was only to turn up in a large white dress and get a lot of strange looks.

I am getting my fasting blood sugars re-tested this Saturday fingers crossed they are a lot better – was 8.7 mmol/L when I started this journey. How is everyone else’s results looking? Please give me hope that getting down to normal (5.4 or less) is possible, maybe not this weekend but soon.

Take care everyone and start the course – says she who went nuts on carbs the other week . . . .

on

Hi everyone! Mel First Timer, well done on your progress, it’s so good to hear how well you are doing. Snailrunner, well done on not eating that cake! That takes willpower. JGwen hope you are going well, and TapeMeasureMum looking forward to hearing from you. DreamsComeTrue and TapemeasureMum hello! 🙂 Hello to everyone!

Week 4, almost half way there. I can’t believe it, time seems to have flown. I have not weighed or measured myself, although I have had a couple of people ask if I have been losing weight, so I’m really happy with that. I’m going to weight until the 8 weeks are up and see what has happened. I still have not slipped, not even once, who knew I had it in me. Not even a nibble! My trouble time is in the evening, a time when I would normally have some sort of treat, but that is working out over time as I get used to not having any treat at all and I gave up trying to find a replacement treat.

Hope you are all doing well, we are almost half way there, and I guess soon we will need to be thinking about what we are going to do afterwards. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I think a progressive increase in calories would be the way to go, would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Take care everone, and congrats to everybody… we are almost at the half way mark! Woo hoo! Just remember what good we are doing our health!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Snailrunner, I took particular delight in reading your “bin the cupcake” story!
    If you go beyond 8 weeks with this WOL, the day will come when willpower
    is no longer part of the equation, for addiction to bad carbs/sugar will be a
    thing of the past. Maintenance is really the prize, and when the carbs are
    left behind forever, it can be really effortless. Yo-yoing has plagued us all,
    and this is way of life offers us all freedom forever from this fate. Very
    best to you in realizing your goals. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi HappyKangaroo,
    I do tend to stick my head around the corner and join in all sorts of threads answering peoples questions, but I wasn’t a 30 April starter, I have been eating the BSD way since mid October, and am down 6 stone so far. – Having reached my initial target weight I have been struggling a little with motivation combined with balancing the fear of loose skin against still being at least 1 dress size away from my target.

Having recently found a youtube recording of a presentation by Dr Bikman that answered some of my concerns I am going to keep on keeping on, with the aim of getting rid of the rest of the spare tyre before increasing cals.

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGWEN!!! You’ve knocked off another stone! I’m executing one of my trademark
    “virtual” cartwheels today in your honor 🙂 I celebrate these occasions as much
    as if they were my own. You have been so generous with your time on multiple
    threads, and your contributions out and about are held in the highest regard by
    us all. I would consider it a priviledge to accept your invitation to skype, and
    we shall work out the particulars on our “Positive Thoughts” thread! I’m looking
    forward to it 🙂 Just had to stop by this newbie thread to offer my congratulations!
    100 Club, here you come!

Allie

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello everyone! Nice to read how everyone is doing. What about everyone and how is Lessmuffintop? Good to hear you are managing food wise in your new job, HappyKangaroo. It can be such a difficult thing sometimes. Food is made quite a lot of at where I work. Lots of nice things get brought it and nice lunches for everyone cooked. Fortunately I cannot actually eat yeast, I miss it but at least I have a very good reason to refuse anything bread or pizza etc. I can turn a blind eye to the sweet stuff. My colleagues do like cheese so it’s nice to have something BSD friendly in the fridge.

on

Hello everyone!
    Measuring again on Monday but my clothes definitely feel looser, so even if it is not coming off my waist it is definitely coming off elsewhere. Am wanting to stock my fridge with home made deli type salads so that I can do packed lunches quickly. Japanese pickled cucumber was the first experiment – good and lasts a few days. Enjoying blueberries too, it is a great time of year to be doing this.

Is anyone actually measuring their blood sugar with a home finger prick test? Ouch. Haven’t done this myself.

Lovely to see everyone’s fantastic progress. Nearly half way but I know I will be doing this much longer. xx

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello Tapemeasuremum, good for you, I am sure the tape measure will be kind. Have you thought to measure a few places other than your waist as it is quite encouraging watching it come off? I am really pleased because since I started about 6 weeks ago I have lost 2 inches off my hips, waist and visceral fat (nothing off chest but I don’t mind as I’ve always been disproportionate round the hips!)
    Isn’t it such a bonus when the clothes just aren’t quite so tight.

on

Hello everyone hope all is well? Sorry I can’t post much: life is hectic. But I enjoy reading all your posts (via email) and sounds like everyone is doing well. There are some lovely people on here 🙂 Happy Kangaroo what fantastic discipline you have! Firstly to stick so well to the program and secondly not to weigh yourself. I’m sure that at the end of the 8 weeks you will be absolutely delighted with your results, and rightly so! How exciting 🙂

I’ve stalled a bit and also have had a bit of setback with a dodgy scales scenario :@. So will be relaunching myself – along with new scales! – as of Monday. I have a hen party tonight and two family lunches over the weekend so will be back on board after that.

I plan to go back to basics and act as if I’m doing the BSD for the first time – which I know many on this thread are – so will keep you posted. I’ve been doing the BSD on and off for 16 months now – and have lost most of the weight I wanted to – but need a kick start to shed a few more pounds. Especially as I now don’t really know what I weigh! So will get the BSD recipe book back out and start doing things properly again.

Keep on everyone and I will be running alongside you again as of Monday X

on

Hi Dreamscometrue!
    Just a quick message, well done on all your achievements! I’m really impressed!

I had a really good thing happen today, my trousers are starting to fall down when I’m walking… because there are becoming too big! I can see a defference in my legs, and finally some progress on the tummy! Thank you for the encouraging comments, it’s so nice of you and really gives me a boost!

I’m adding activities through my day, walking each lunch time and taking the stairs as much as possible instead of the lift.

Last night zoodles! And they are not bad at all, and tick all the boxes for low cal, no carbs etc. I can’t believe it’s been nearly four weeks, my son is giving me lots of support and is looking for an exercise bike for me. I’m starting to actually feel the difference, and about time, I’ve been working so hard on this!

Have to go, hope you are all doing really well. One day at a time, that’s all it is!

No crepes or pastries for me at the French quiz night on Saturday unfortunately, but I’m going to stay strong… it’s going to be really really tough!!!

on

Morning everyone!
    Lovely to hear everyone’s news and the great progress that is being made. Maid2measure you are quite right about measuring other areas! Had to do some unscheduled measuring to order something from a German website where the sizing is different to UK, and am so pleased that an inch has come off my waist, and my bust is definitely smaller too, hooray! I’m really pleased but recognise that it is going to be a long job to lose the remaining 3 inches. Having said that, I’m still managing to have a fairly normal life with holidays and meals out so it should be possible to do this for the long term.

Thanks everyone for your support, and please keep posting. I’m taking inspiration from all the posts, especially to do a bit more exercise.

Happy Thursday

xx

• posted by snailrunner
    on

HappyKangaroo, I hope you are holding tight to those trousers! It must be a great feeling.

Tapemeasuremum, it sounds like you are doing well too. I’m glad I’m not relying on the tape measure, as when I measured a few days ago I had barely shifted in measures at all. I have actually lost 12lbs in total now though! I can certainly feel it so perhaps my initial measurements were not very accurate.

Dreams, good luck for your relaunch!

Miad2Measure, well done on your losses so far.

I’m off to Dubai on Tuesday morning and ideally will lose another 2lbs (1kg) by then although my actual goal was 5kg and I’ve beaten that already (5.5kg). Much as I’m looking forward to the sunshine and a break from work, the best bit is finally getting to see my husband again after over 7 weeks apart – hooray! I feel pretty confident about getting my bikini on too, and when I get home I’m back on the program with the final 6kg/1 stone to lose.

on

Snailrunner I am sure your husband will be blown away by how amazing you look. Good luck picking the outfit you will be wearing when he first sees you again. ☺ Have a great trip.
    HappyKangaroo great job with the trousers.enjoy the queens birthday sales & treat yourself to a smaller size.

The boots I got a year ago went on sale recently so I got another pair in a tan. Unlike last year I didn’t stuggle to do them up around my calves. I have lost fat all over (& 6.9 kg). I also got my plasma glucose levels retested yesterday. Normal is meant to be 3.5 – 5.4. When I started this journey was 8.7 I am now 3.9. I actually rang the lab to confirm the results were correct!

My plan is too stick to it to get my measurements down further to have a bit of room to move before I head on holiday on the 17th. As much as I want to be good I know I will put some weight back on while on holiday – happens to most people. After my holiday back on for 1-2 weeks depending how much weight I put on & how long it takes to lose. then start maintenance,

For those who reached their healthy goal does this sound Do Able? Suggestions & advice most appreciated. I am down sizing my wardrobe to just items that fit as another way to be aware of weight increases. Will also get my blood retested in 2 months to make sure I am on track. Sound like good checks & balances as they say?

on

Hello Maid2Measure, Tapemeasuremum, Dreamscometrue, Snailrunner, MelFist Timer and everyone else who pops in here! Hope you are all doing well!

There was something terrible happened at the doctor’s this week, and my GP caused me a great upset. Right now I’m feeling fantastic, someone close to me said ‘the weight’s dropping off you, it’s incredible’ and I got a huge compliment from someone last night when I was out. I have not heard words like that for years. My energy is up up up. I got home before I turned into a pumpkin last night, right on midnight. Got up at 6am, cycled to the GYM and spent half an hour there. I have cooked and cleaned (ok not a lot of cleaning haha) and I’m sitting here thinking, is this how I’m going to feel from now on, because it’s pretty damn good!
    Four weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 2 (can’t say the D word, it’s too horrible). As you all know I hit the ground running and still have not eaten/drunk anything off limits, not a single chip, crisp, can of coke or Irn Bru, no cakes or pasta or bread. No wheat, no carbs, sugar. It’s been 100% committment and to be honest, I don’t know why, but it’s not been hard for me. A little switch went off in my noggin and I’ve just not been tempted. At a guess I have lost about 5k’s, about 12 lbs, maybe more. I am fitting into smaller clothes, it’s so good, there’s no words to say how happy I am.
    So, at the GP’s last week, about something totally unrelated, he launches into the D issue, I told him what I had been doing, how good it had been. I’ll keep this short, and edit the more graphic things he said. He repeated, you will fail. Over and over. He said what would happend to various parts of my body. He said the only way I can lose weight is with bariatric surgery. I am about 10k’s overweight now. Bariatric surgery, that’s ridiculous! He said he had NEVER had anyone do what I am doing, ie change lifestyle. They take the meds (which I will not consider until I have finished this plan and see if I actually need them). They take the meds, and that’s it. He said ‘you can’t do it’ I said, ‘but I AM doing it and it’s not hard’ So he said if I didn’t go on the meds he said he would refuse to treat me. So I said, ‘three weeks ago you told me to lose weight, now you are saying it’s impossible’. He said he was so sure I would fail, he would pay for me to fly to New Zealand (where he is from) if I succeeded at which point I pointed out that he wasn’t exactly being supportive and that having a parient who is taking responsibility for their health is surely a good thing. And again he said some horrible things about D, and that I would fail blah blah blah. BTW my reading was 6.7 which by the rest of the world is pre-diabetes, including World Health Organisation Guidelines. In Australia it’s at 6.5.
    Instead of being encouraged in even a tiny way, I came out shocked and stunned and pretty angry I can tell you. I walked home like a mad person talking to myself calling him names haha.
    Well stuff him, he seemed to want to rerail me and make me think that meds are the only option. I think he likes people being chronically sick so he can write lots of scripts and maybe maybe get incentives from the pharmaceutical companies. I don’t know, I can’t work it out.
    Anyway, sorry, that’s a bit of a rant.
    Off for a bit of a walk in the gumtrees with a friend, and cycling to a coffee shop with my lovely supportive son.
    Hope you are all doing well, it’s almost week 5!!!! WEEK 5!! Woo hoo to us champions!

on

HappyKangaroo wow your Dr is a total dick. Sorry but he makes me so mad 😖 he had no right to speak to you like that. If you remember in the 8 week blood sugar diet book Michael talks about some Dr’s not being on board with the idea. Yours just happens to have a god complex so thinks he is always right & will not hear otherwise.
    You are doing great so stuff him. Maybe it’s time to change doctors to someone more open minded.

Remember losing 10% of your body weigh is enough to greatly improve your health. If your doctor doesn’t know that basic fact he needs to open a book!!!!
    Sorry but I am really upset that he put you through that. You are doing great & will succeed in spite of him xo

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi HappyKangaroo,
    I was so sad to read your post. I got this mental picture of the long line of people that your doctor had witnessed followed the cals in/cals out mantra but because they continued eating carbs they failed in their attempt to beat this using diet and ended up on meds. – It must be a long line for your GP to have such a strong reaction. It must be really hard for medical staff to face the fact that if they had given people different advice on diet then they would have saved hundreds from the medication and all its side effects. No wonder you witnessed such a strong reaction.
    Well, you have an advantage, you know people on this forum have succeeded in what you are setting out to do and some of them are still here so you can ask for their help if you need it.
    What to do, you could use your GPs reaction to help stiffen your resolve, or you could change GP.

on

Dear HappyKangaroo
    You will have so much pleasure in proving your GP wrong. The first thing to do is to ask him to put that promise to fly you to NZ in writing. Then just carry on doing what you are doing so successfully – you have absolutely nailed this.

This is one of those times where the patient has to be stronger and wiser than the GP – so tough for you. JGwen is right, in the interim you might need a different GP.

Keep walking in the gumtrees, sounds fantastic.

xx

on

Hello hello hello! How are you all doing? Week 5, here we are! The time has flown by and I just can’t believe it is week 5 already! I am really pleased about it, but wary about that saying ‘pride comes before a fall’ and I don’t want to think that I’ve got this just yet, I need that wee bit of fear to help drive that motivational engine.
    On Saturday I went to a French quiz and they kindly provided French bread, crepes, pastries and cakes… Ooh lala, how much temptation in just one night! Someone sitting next to me brought me over a crepe and plonked it down in front of me, and I said thank you that was really nice of you, I’m really sorry I can’t eat it. He was a little offended I think, he was a little funny about it. I was caught on the hop, it’s easy enough to refuse food that is coming round on platters, but this was a bit trickier. Anyhoo, I managed the night, had such a great time, and felt pretty good about it. It’s just that little harder when you are out in the wider world.
    How is everyone doing? I’m looking forward to hearing about everybody’s progress if you are comfortable sharing. I started a food list on my computer/iPhone to make things easier when I’m shopping, and a list of websites that I find helpful. Yesteday I was off work with a really bad cold and that knocked me around a bit, lots of sleep, watching videos, and getting clued up on T2 and weight loss. I’m so tired and sniffy right now. I came across the free first month of Audible, and you get a free audio book from a big range, so I am thinking about downloading Dr Fungs Obesity Code, or the Diabetes Code.
    Thank you everyone for your support, it has been brilliant, and really what I needed. It means a lot to me that you wrote your words of support.
    Lookding forward to hearing from everyone! We are past the halfway mark! Woo hoo us!

on

Hello hello hello! How are you all doing? Week 5, here we are! The time has flown by and I just can’t believe it is week 5 already! I am really pleased about it, but wary about that saying ‘pride comes before a fall’ and I don’t want to think that I’ve got this just yet, I need that wee bit of fear to help drive that motivational engine.
    On Saturday I went to a French quiz and they kindly provided French bread, crepes, pastries and cakes… Ooh lala, how much temptation in just one night! Someone sitting next to me brought me over a crepe and plonked it down in front of me, and I said thank you that was really nice of you, I’m really sorry I can’t eat it. He was a little offended I think, he was a little funny about it. I was caught on the hop, it’s easy enough to refuse food that is coming round on platters, but this was a bit trickier. Anyhoo, I managed the night, had such a great time, and felt pretty good about it. It’s just that little harder when you are out in the wider world.
    How is everyone doing? I’m looking forward to hearing about everybody’s progress if you are comfortable sharing. I started a food list on my computer/iPhone to make things easier when I’m shopping, and a list of websites that I find helpful. Yesteday I was off work with a really bad cold and that knocked me around a bit, lots of sleep, watching videos, and getting clued up on T2 and weight loss. I’m so tired and sniffy right now. I came across the free first month of Audible, and you get a free audio book from a big range, so I am thinking about downloading Dr Fungs Obesity Code, or the Diabetes Code.
    Thank you everyone for your support, it has been brilliant, and really what I needed. It means a lot to me that you wrote your words of support.
    Lookding forward to hearing from everyone! We are past the halfway mark! Woo hoo us!

on

HappyKangaroo funny you should say ‘pride comes before a fall’ as that is what I did. Got all excited about my 7kg weight loss and good blood sugar readings – bit too excited (prideful). So, I have fallen flat on my face. 5 days with little to no movement. I am actually up 200g. I had started on maintenance on Monday, still checking calories (no carbs) but adding some sauces and snacking on a few things as I measured food out. I didn’t go crazy but the extra 100 or so calories have been enough to freeze my weight. I am now afraid of my holiday – it’s not like I am going to pack scales and refuse to eat anything I don’t know the exact calories in (good luck finding a cafe or restaurant who would put up with that). Plus, my hubby would be so embarrassed by Day 2 he would stop wanting to eat with me.

I knew this was a way of eating for life I just didn’t realise that almost meant counting calories forever.

Hope you feel better soon, think of this as great downtime, time to catch up on TV shows and just have You Time.

• posted by Welshlady45
    on

So sorry to read your post HappyKamgaroo, about your doctor. You just keep on going and prove him wrong. You seem to be a very strong character and can do this.

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Dear all,
    Hello dear BS Dieters. Just to let you all know that dear daughter weighs 76.8 kilos now from 79 kilos. I am so thrilled and couldn’t help but share this piece of good news. It’s been over 5 weeks on this diet now and I am planning to continue with it till I get her weight down to 65 kilos. My daughter does not have many cravings so far and feels satiated with whatever I serve her . However her tummy is still large, I guess that’s because of the insulin resistance and will take time to flatten. I am waiting for the day when that happens. Thank you all, especially Alliecat, HappyKangaroo, JGwen for supporting me. It;s tough with a daughter who has special needs but I know that you guys will always be there to provide support. I will keep you posted :-))

on

First of all…
    CONGRATULATIONS to Sunnysandy, you must be thrilled and I am really really happy for you, and what a wonderful outcome! You are so dedicated, it really shows… big hug to you.
    Welshlady45, thank you for your comment, every supportive comment helps so much 🙂
    Mel First Timer, I reckon that you are going to be fine. It’s not about contstant gains, it’s about learning the ropes, this new way of life. You have to enjoy your holiday, and I’m looking forward to hearing how it all went! I think we can be very good at beating ourselves up, but you are doing well, remember that!
    Tapemeasuremum and JGwen thanks so much for your comments.

You are all so great, sharing your stories. Keep it up, we are past the half way mark.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good Morning!

SunnySandy, the sun isn’t even up where I am, but reading your update has me beginning my day with a smile 🙂
    Your daughter is indeed blessed to have you taking such a proactive role in her health, and both your stories are
    very moving. Most of all, it is wonderful news to share that her cravings haven’t been too bad! A Mother’s
    love is limitless, and it can’t have been easy for you. The weight loss is very encouraging, and even more
    the news that you will be continuing on for however many weeks that you need. Some here find that changes
    in waist measurements happen quickly; for others it is the last thing to go ! We have a thread entitled “After
    Reaching Your Target, What’s Next?” It’s a great place to visit for ideas on how to manage maintenance,
    and there are probably as many ways to approach it as there are posters! Thank you for stopping in today.
    I’ve been thinking about you both 🙂

xoxo
    Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.