Starting 30 April Looking for fellow travellers!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HappyKangaroo
    on

I am going to start the BSD tomorrow. Monday seems like a good day to start, but I will not be overindulging today ( well, that is what I am saying right now). I found out on Friday that I am type 2 and I did not see it coming, mainly because I have friends who eat far more and far worse than I do, drink more than I do, but they’re ok, and I’m not. I’d love to have some on-line friends to go through this with, for help and support and encouragement. I actually have not bought the book yet, going out to get it now… on my bike. Trying to get some activity into my day. I do not know how much I weigh, it’s over 100k’s but I asked the doctor not to tell me, what a coward I am! Once I start losing weight, then he can tell me. I know I can do this… I lost 10k’s last year but put it back on after a car accident and I was laid up for many months. I hope people join me here, it will make it more fun! (And I need the support) Back to the bike, it’s a nice Dutch style ladies bike, very heavy, I don’t wear lycra, it’s not that kind of bike and wow I don’t think they make lycra in my dimensions (legs and arms are ok, but fat around the tummy, think Humpty Dumpty), it’s a ladies bike and I am going to have to do it every day, or something else (mind goes blank). Cheers!

• posted by AussieHeather
    on

Good for you – I started just over 2 weeks ago doing the 8 week program 800 cal a day – on my own not the online programme and I am thrilled to say I have lost 5 kg in that time! So you can do it too I feel sure. Its not too taxing – I have been using the MyFitnessPal web site as I found that some of the recipes in the book were mostly over the actual calorie count so I use the MFP site diligently every meal and this works for me.
    Cravings have almost disappeared altho I still miss toast and coffee! Still having milk in my tea – that I cannot do with out – tried Almond Milk – YUK! Try to exercise for at least 40 mins a day as this boosts your calorie count that you can have – the MFP web site works all this out for you.
    I am trying to keep my carbs down to between 30 – 40 – find it hard to get lower than that as even veggies have quite high carb counts and I am only eating “above ground” vegetables! Steering clear of fruit except raspberries – seem to be eating loads of salmon, haloumi, eggs, spinach, yogurt and other bits – love the zing you get with Dill Pickles, Dijon Mustard etc
    Anyway good luck to you – just thought you might like to read how my first fortnight has been.
    Go Girl!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Happykangaroo sorry you have been blind sided by your T2 diagnosed, but congrats on deciding so quickly to take back control. Some excellent advice from Aussieheather, I would add, keeping well hydrated and being sure to include fats and definitely no low fat options as these often include hidden sugars, suspect ‘fillers’ and other nasties. Full fat options make you feel full more quickly and stay feeling that way for longer.

Would recommend joining a challenge – think a new four week one started recently. Not sure of the title, but I’m sure it has May in it. There will be no problems with you starting a bit late and these challenge threads are made up of newbies and old hands, so you get the benefit of lots of accumulated knowledge, as will as all the encouragement and support you could need. The current challenge was kicked off by one of our big success stories and long term maintainer, Alliecat and I know she will be spreading her wisdom to everyone on that thread.

One last thing, try not to compare you progress with that of others. We all lose at different rates, but you can’t help but succeed if you stick with the program. So if like me, you lose slowly, don’t worry you’ll still get there. As you don’t know your weight, be sure to take some measurements and maybe a couple of photos, so you have a way to measure progress, until you feel able to take on board what you weigh. Setting some mini goals can help too, as they can be anything from losing an inch on your waist, to dropping a clothing size, or walking upstairs without puffing, depending on your personal situation. Having these small successes along the way really helps with motivation.

Anyway, best of luck to you and make the most of this forum – it is without a doubt what got me to my end goal, so shout out if you need advice, need to vent or would like support. And please keep us posted on your progress.

on

Hi AussieHeather, (I’m in Australia too, in Adelaide)
    Thanks for your message. I don’t know how to count carbs, do you just calculate them from the information on packets etc? I will check out MyFitnessPal, perhaps it’s there? I’ve got the books, but have been distracted by watching The Great British Bakeoff, (of all things) but I did get my half hour of exercise in today. I made something out of the recipe book, baked red pepper with mushrooms and tomatoes and anchovies, but didn’t have any anchovies, so did it with sardines. It was a bad idea to put the sardines in the oven, they did not smell good! (I normally like them, probably should have just put one on top after the capsicum had come out of the oven)

Hi SunnyB,
    Thanks for you message. I’ll see if there are any challenges I can join. I haven’t done measurements, but will do that. I’m seeing the education nurse and the docor tomorrow, so I’ll see how that goes! Thanks for all your advice, there is so much to take in. I made a point this weekend of learning how food, the pancreas and insulin work in the body, but it’s the food bit that is going to take a wee bit time to get my head around.

Cheers!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi Happy Kangaroo! I was just about to start a new forum so perhaps we can hook up instead? I’m wanting to do a 4-week challenge starting 1st May so shall we travel together?

I started the BSD in Jan17 and am still on that thread too. I’ve lost 35lb since then and have kept most of it off, but recently have put a couple of pounds back on again so am now looking for a bit of a reboot. I’d like to lose another 7-9lb or so altogether to get down to my original target and then some.

I’ve found that for me short bursts of intense BSD to get some weight off, followed by a period of maintenance to let my body settle, works well. Right now I feel ready to knuckle down and shed some more pounds relatively quickly. But the BSD is fantastic way of eating and it does work whichever way you do it – from Fast800 at one end of the spectrum to a slower-paced moderate Mediterranean-style diet at the other.

Anyway, if you’d like to do a four week challenge together I’m up for that and hopefully others will join us too!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello Dreamscometrue, and welcome back! There is a very active 4 wk challenge already running, and some of
    your old friends can be found there, i.e., Clarinetcathy, SueBlue, and probably others. You’d be very welcome to
    join us! “Swing into May, the Low Carb Way”.
    A very warm welcome to you, too, Happy Kangaroo! Best of luck to you 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

on

Hi Allie

That’s fab – will see you there! Happy Kangaroo come over too? It’s good to be part of a bigger group.

See you all there !

on

Hi Dreamscometrue,
    I would have loved to have done it with you. I have memory problems and a large group doesn’t work for me.

A bit annoying someone coming on here and diverting people when I am trying to make connections, being totally new here.

All good, I have started on my own.

on

Hi Happy Kangaroo. Good to hear from you and I’m more than happy to stay on this thread too and keep you company!

Good luck today and I will check back in tomorrow to see how you got on X

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Hi happy kangaroo
    I like a small group as well I find the big challenges really demotivating and confusing too.

The diagnosis is a blow but looks like it might be also be a super incentive on the bright side.

I am going full on for 3 weeks for a holiday but my holiday will be 10 days of walking and sticking to BSD so 4 weeks to really stick in to 1 st June .

Hope we can travel together!

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello – I’d like to join but I don’t want to make this group too big – please let me know whether you want me to stay 🙂

I’m on the 4 week challenge but was thinking of not joining the next one, as when there are so many people I find it hard to focus and also don’t want them to feel like I’m ignoring a lot of comments in my posts. They probably don’t think any such thing but I find it a deluge of posts, albeit they’re wonderful ones, just would rather not necessarily join in.

I’ve been on this a few weeks but still have at least 2 stone to loose and would love to follow it with a few people.

on

Hello everyone! This is great, we can be a good little group, it’s so much easier to keep track of who is doing what and makes it more personal. I’m happy for it to be just us few and see how it goes? Looking forward to hearing from you all. Where are you all from? I’m so happy to have found some people who like a little group! I’m from South Australia , I’m 57 and was diagnosed on Friday with type 2 diabetes. I’ll tell you more as we go on. Looking forward to hearing from you all and what you are doing! Cheers !

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Here goes HappyKangaroo – I’m a Pommie, I haven’t got diabetes but I have a serious carb addiction and health issues that I want to reverse or make dormant!
    I did this successfully before but need to be in it for the long haul and make it a permanent Way of Eating.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This isn’t “social media”, happy??kangaroo, and no one is here to attract “followers”. We are an inclusive group, and
    new members can join as many threads as they wish. Everyone is welcome! The only thing that isn’t is negative
    personal comments. I am not “someone” and I am not “annoying”. The BSD has transformed my life, and although
    I’ve rid myself of 10 stone and been in maintenance for just over a year, I’m an active member of the comunity. Sharing
    the experiences and lessons learned along the way is my principle reason for still being here. One of those is that
    the learning curve associated with any new endeavor can be steep, and the “old timers” have the answers when
    newbies have the questions. Additionally, there is nothing we like better than talking about this extraordinary WOL.
    Success rates skyrocket among those who see the value and benefit of joining threads where all levels of expertise
    exist, and save themselves the struggles of having to figure everything out with others that are as green as they are.

I wish all of you lovely ladies success beyond your wildest dreams. All the tools are here on these forums. Go
    For It! There is no pricetag that you can put on the friendships and laughter you encounter along the way 🙂

ALLIE!

Allie

on

Hi Happy Kangaroo and everyone else in this group

I’m in the UK, celebrating my fifty-something’th birthday today! Started the BSD in January 2017 weighing 12 stone 2 (170lb – 77 kilos) and after a rapid initial weight loss have gradually got down to 9 stone 10 (136lb – 61.6 kilos). My original target was 9 stone 7 (133lb – 60 kilos). Am up a couple of pounds at the moment due to lots of partying but now it’s time to hit my original goal and I’d like to get down to nearer 9 stone if I can, say 128-130lb (158-159 kilos).

I generally find it better to take it slow and steady, and give my body time to stabilise at one weight before pushing further. But I can feel myself getting into some bad habits again so want to go for a quick burst to try and burn off a few more pounds over the next few weeks.

Look forward to travelling with all of you on this thread as of tomorrow 🙂 X

• posted by snailrunner
    on

Hello all, total newbie here. I bought the book absolutely ages ago but didn’t implement the advice. Right now, I’m close to getting back to my heaviest ever non-pregnant weight, which is scary stuff. Over the last five years I’ve been 50kg and 63kg and everything in between and ideally I should be around 52-53kg as I’m not very tall. I’m an irregular exerciser but trying to be more consistent now that the weather has very slightly begun to improve. I tend to do 10000 steps or more most days and aim to run 5k or more 3 times a week as well.

I’ve chosen this plan because my carb cravings are ridiculous, I’m a secret junk food eater (especially sugary junk) and I need to get a grip. I’m an all or nothing type of eater so it’s better for me to do 800 a day than 5:2, although it was on 5:2 that I got down to 50kg. As I’ve dithered and gained and lost the same 4kg over the last four months, I really need to just get on with it now as it is only four weeks until I go to Dubai and right now I would not want to be in a bikini in a public place! I think 80% of my excess weight is on my tummy and round my waist, as I still look pretty good in the bathroom mirror that only shows me from the shoulders up!

I look forward to sharing this journey with you and keeping each other on track.

on

Alliecat, thanks for your comments. I’m just wanting to be part of a small group, that is why I started the thread. You can get people to hop over to bigger groups that’s fine, but you did it when there was only one person who showed an interest and I was left alone. All cool, I’m happy with my little group. I didn’t mean to upset you, and your response is one of the reasons I like a small more personal group. Big groups are great for those who want to go that way 🙂 If it’s ok with you I’d rather not hear from you, it may be the printed word but it came across as pretty aggressive and I don’t want that in my world.

on

Hi Happy kangaroo
    Well done on sticking by your name.
    Day 4 for me today but what a bad nights sleep! I went to the toilet about 5 times ! I’m hoping it’s all the water coming out my body and it will calm down. I was good yesterday ….. that’s unheard of for me !’ So the little group and feeling tied in is working for me!

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello Snailrunner! I’m convinced you can do this. One tip, drink heaps of water if you can. That should help you. I’ve been a secret eater too so I entirely understand – not sugary stuff as much as savoury carbs eg pastries, crisps, chips – but I hope to permanently control it! Also I suggest you measure yourself eg waist, hips, as the results can be quite encouraging!
    Lessmuffintop – no doubt you’ll probably get quite a bit of weight loss after all that ;))
    HappyKangaroo, how have your first 2 BSD days gone? Great I hope?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Lessmuffintop, welcome to the delights of having a whoosh. Its strange isn’t it that it always happens overnight. I guess if we could work out why, we could maybe make it fit in with our daily life – except that having to stay close to the loo during the day would perhaps be more inconvenient than a broken nights sleep.

• posted by Welshlady45
    on

Please may I join too. I seem to be in a similar situation to dreamscometrue – starting at similar weight and goal is the same. I am struggling with understanding carbs and how to work this out for a recipe. Been trying on my own for a week but keeping carbs low is defeating me. Can we travel along together please?
    Thanks.

on

Hi Welshlady45, and welcome to our little band of travellers. Hello to everyone, it’s great to hear from you all and read your stories. MadetoMeasure, hello! (I’m saying hello to people who weren’t sure if they could ‘join’) 🙂
    I don’t know what my weight is, I was a big coward because the doctor told me my weight had ‘sky rocketed’ and I had also been told about some other news at the same time, it was all a bit much. That was a few days ago. I bought the books, and they are great and so informative. The recipe book has tons of great recipes that look like regular food, just cutting out the things that we should be avoiding.
    I have had some pretty bad eating habits, someone who was naturally underweight and could eat what I wanted, but with a change of job to one where I sat a lot, the end of a long term relationship, nights out drinking wine, too much time at home indulging on my favourite treats, the weight gradually increased. A car accident and then a badly broken arm put me out of action for a year and I’m sure it wasn’t just my expanding tummy that was the problem, it was the inactivity. Then, just as I am getting my act together, I find I’m diabetic.
    I’m a really positive person and this a knocked me over. But, I am going to stick with the program, do my exercise and take control, there’s no options here. Newly diagnosed, I still have moments when I shed a tear, feel scared and angry. My doctor was clear about what the disease can do, and so I really want to take charge of this. Missing out on things is going to be hard, but the other option of eating those things and having the disease do horrible things would be far harder.

Thank you everyone for joining me on this journey. I hope we can support each other and motivate each other when things get tough. My doctor said, when he diagnosed me, ‘this is the day you start to turn things around’.

• posted by rubyred
    on

Hi happykangaroo,

As you are new on these forums, you probably won’t know that allicat is one of the stalwarts here – her wisdom and compassion are very well known and so many people (including myself) have benefitted from her advice and wise counsel. She is, as is nearly everyone here, very inclusive, which I’m guessing is what motivated her response to your trying to control the size of the group, which by definition will exclude some people.
    I just thought you should know this about her…..
    People on these threads are always supportive and inclusive, which is why I found myself a bit put out by your response.

Good luck with the WOE – it really works!

on

Thanks rubyred, I appreciate you contacting me. I was hoping that this was over now, but it is lovely of you to stick up for your friend. No probs, good luck with your journey.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Rubyred, how wonderful to see that you are still with us! I would dearly love to know how you’re doing, and I KNOW
    that I’m not alone in this sentiment 🙂 Did the cherry blossoms oblige you on your Easter trip to Washington??? I can
    routinely be found on the “Positive Thoughts…” or “Swing into May..” threads. Please stop by so that we can catch
    up! You have been missed 🙂

xxx
    Allie

on

Hi Happy Kangaroo
    I’m sure the diabetes diagnosis is a blow but I know first hand it is reversible. My aunt who was overweight and diabetic for much longer than you and got to the point of having eyesight issues was very successful in a relatively short time. So I guess the doc is right it is in your hands.
    I just had spinach , a slice of bacon and eggs with butter and spring onions was delicious ! Food tastes so nice when you eat less and you are hungry.
    There was a man on the forum made it his mission just to eat super nice food I am going for that as a WOL.

Here is to yummy recipes !

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Eating super nice food is so key to enjoying this whole thing and making it last. I love the way I can add butter and oil whilst cooking or eating, and not touch the carb count. You can also season up with all sorts to add the flavour.

HappyKangaroo, it sounds like you’ve been through an awful lot. I’m sure you are in the right place to turn this around. I often read through the many success stories on this forum to help me believe I can go do this and stick at it. Try reading Captainlynnes story and Bill1954 – they started a few years ago – I don’t think they post anymore but it’s just an inspiring read.

Lessmuffintop, I love the sound of that meal. All food I like. Which makes it easier!

on

Thanks Maid2Measure and Lessmuffintop (love the names by the way).

Has anyone had a look at the recipe book that goes with the program? It’s really fantastic, I was browsing through it as I watch The Great British Bakeoff of all things, I just love that show! There are so many great recipes in the book and I guess part of it is that you change your way of eating whilst learning what works for you. The ingredients are simple, easy to get from a supermarket and lots of nice pictures.
    I love French food and my happy news is that you can have escargots (not in the book lol), just not with the lovely French bread, so I saw that as a bit of a win 🙂

So far I have stuck to the eating plan, no probs so far. It’s very early days but I have found I have left over calories or whatever you want to call it after my evening meal which was really nice because it left me some wiggle room for a wee bit of something later on. Hoping for some wiggle room in the clothes!

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

I’ve only gone through the recipes that are included in the blood sugar diet book so far. I made quite a few of them to start with but actually found it a bit too much like hard work and just enjoyed making my own low carb meals and recording everything, which suited me much better. I did really enjoy the jewelled feta peppers though and I often mix peanut butter and soft cheese as suggested in the book.
    One of the yummiest things for breakfast is a poached egg and smoked salmon, I just drool thinking about it!
    Don’t think I can ever enjoy escargots…. But good for you, lol
    Yes I find it so nice to have extra calories at the end of the day…. Although it’s not often the case as I get so hungry during the day! Anyway we Keep on keeping on!

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hi AussieHeather, I just joined a few days ago. Not for myself but on behal of my daughter who has a learning disability, insulin resistance, ibs and a huge belly that no diet can shift. Out of desperation I bought the book and also the recipe book. So far it’s 9 days into the diet and she has lost a kilo. I am so over the moon. All I want is to get rid of her belly. Oh she also has pcos! It’s so hard as I have to eat the same food so as to support her. She has a terrible sweet tooth and I have to actually hide the ‘goodies’ as she rummages the cupboards and can finish off a whole packet of biscuits! I have now stopped buying all kinds of sweet stuff. My question is-how long would should I put her on the diet for? Her nutritionist recommended this diet to me. After the 8 weeks are over what diet should she be on? Any answers or helo would be greatly appreciated!

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Thanks HK/Elaine – must check out the video later.
    Sunnysandy – I don’t see why your daughter couldn’t stay on the diet after 8 weeks. A lot of people on the forum have done it, and successfully. It’s just trial and error as to what works for different people but I would personally have no qualms about carrying on if I had more to lose. Alternatively some people switch to the 5:2 or med style and just continue losing weight at a slower rate, or maintain. Definitely low carb is a great way to go and you could read Gary Taubes book called Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it)
    It would be good for her to measure her waist weekly as you might find the results so encouraging!
    She’s very lucky to have such a supportive mum
    xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you Happykangaroo. I found that a very interesting video. Explained very well what we keep banging on about on this forum.
    Keep going.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by GAD
    on

I started on Monday, too, and I’ll join you on the journey! Done four weeks before, but want to do the long haul this time!

on

I had a really great experience in the supermarket. A woman helped me when I was looking for the right almond milk and ended up giving me a quick tour of the supermarket pointing out a few things that she found helpful needing to be low carb, no sugar. She recommended kimchi or something similar (I had already heard about that). Anyhoo she went through my trolley and gave me the thumbs up for what I had bought. She was shopping by the way, she didn’t work there. So nice.

• posted by GAD
    on

What a lovely experience!

• posted by Pancita
    on

Happy Kangaroo, thank you for posting that link, what an interesting and well explained piece. How I wish I could preach that to my diabetic patients!

• posted by Tapemeasuremum
    on

Hello Happy Kangaroo, can I join you too please? I am monitoring progress using a tape measure rather than scales. Need to lose 4″ off my waist and then if possible keep going for a couple more. So am just about to start. Thanks for starting this group, so good to have moral support.

• posted by snailrunner
    on

Hello all
    Nice little group building up, which is lovely. I’m a daily weigher, today was day 3 and I was down 1kg exactly. Since that’s 10% of my goal I found that encouraging even though I know it won’t happen every two days!

I’m not really doing low carb apart from missing out all rice, flour products etc. I have been eating an apple at lunchtime as well as beetroot, carrot and sweetcorn on my salads. Low carb as a vegetarian who can’t eat egg or soya is pretty challenging so I’m just sticking to real food and 800 cals a day.

I know several on here have recommended the Gary Taubes book but I would also highly recommend Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code, which I am re-reading on my commute at present.

• posted by Mel First Timer
    on

Hi mind if a Kiwi joins in? I am new to all this, got the book, read it and then put it away – that was last year. After getting a 8.7 mmol/l fasting reading (and finding out I need foot surgery but with diabetes the risk of infection is crazy high) I am in this all the way. It was all the talk about the magic Day 3 weight drop which got me so keen, okay would be mainly water but still something to see on the scales to get me excited.
    Day 3 was yesterday, no big weight drop, I thought maybe it was the morning of Day 4 you saw the results. Not for me I have only lost 700g or 1.5 pounds. I am drinking 3 litres of water a day and measuring/weighing all my food. No root veggies or bread/pasta/rice etc. Feel free to tell me I am being unrealistic.
    I started at 80.7kg and a 93cm belly goal is whatever I need to be to get a normal blood sugar level. Thanks to foot issues cardio is a bit challenging but I am using a cross trainer – as long as I don’t go full out it seems okay.
    So mind if this limping, off to a slow start, lady joins on the trip? I do have a weird but good sense of humour 🙂

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Thank you Maid2Measure, your reply is much appreciated. Yes, i will start measuring her waistline as recommended by you. Pcos is such an insidious condition. I was under the impression that the diet should only be continued for 8 weeks but that has been clarified. Some people say that eating such few calories will affect the metabolism and cause further weight gain when the diet is discontinued. Is there any truth to that, although I am highly dubious. I have just ordered the Gary Taubes book! Thank you so much for replying.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Sunnysandy, and welcome to these forums. There are many members of this community that have gone
    far beyond 8 weeks on the Fast800, with no damage to our metabolisms. I lost 50 % of my body weight over
    10 months time, and in every aspect it has only restored my health and repaired my metabolism. I admire you
    so much for putting all your energy into helping your daughter, and there are many successful members of
    this community that would be delighted to share their wisdom and knowledge with you. Just shout out, and
    we will find you 🙂
    Very best of luck to you and your beloved daughter!

Allie

on

Hi GAD, Tapemeasremum and Mel First Timer and welcome! Looking forward to going on this journey with you.

Mel First Timer, don’t be discouraged, 1.5lbs in three days is amazing! It’s so easy to be hard on ourselves.

I have been sticking 100% to the program. I have not had any added sugar at all, and no processed products with sugar in them, and everything low carb. What have I been eating? Grilled chicken, fresh spinach, garlic, tomatoes, avocado (a bit high in the calories, so just a few cubes) cabbage, and kale. With the kale I just rip it up and put it in the oven for a few minutes, no added anything except perhaps a little garlic. It’s low in everything except good things, and is extremely crisp if that is what you are missing.

I’m still very sad at times though, still taking it in, it was a shock getting the diagnosis. But one day at a time, and I make sure that I do something every day that involves a good old belly laugh and that really really help.

Does anyone have any exercise goals? What about the strength exercises? The mindfulness? It’s a lot, but it’s a whole program not just a ‘diet’ and we should all be doing it. I’m working up to it lol. Good luck everyone, let’s give this a good bash!

on

Snailrunner, how are you? You mentioned Jason Fung, I don’t have his book, but he has stuff on Youtube which is fantastic and very encouraging and in line with what this site is all about. Reading and learning as much as I can really helps me with a sense of control, which I am working on. I need to feel that ‘I’ve got this’ meaning I’m dealing with it. For some of us, me, I have a huge sense of loss and that’s pretty tough to deal with. I’m also frustrated and angry that I could have done something to prevent this.
    So here is the opportunity to right a wrong I did to myself. I am not going to look at giving up those foods that are now toxic to me such as sugar, as a sacrafice. It is respecting my health, rewarding myself with something that now I will regard as a toxin to me does not make sense. It’s not easy, and turning round a lifetime of habits is the challenge we all face. One day at a time is what I tell myself, so as not to be overwhelmed. Keep at it everyone! We can do this!

• posted by Mel First Timer
    on

Thanks HappyKangaroo I guess I was kidding myself I would be one of the 4.5 kgs in 3 days people. One can dream. I might have allowed myself a low calorie hot chocolate which I really need to check the sugar amount on . … but I thought hey I am within the 800 calories.

I do like your meal suggestion, will try your crisp kale but with spinach leaf’s. I have been making sure I add salad to everything – even soup just throw in 100g of no dressing slaw to full it up.

I know this sounds silly, but I am not hungry which is a bit worrying as I was expecting to be ready to mug my office mates for their lunches. And I also expected the office biscuits and crackets containers to be hard to resist but I am not even tempted. Might be all the water I have been drinking.

I understand the sadness I am meant to be on holiday right when Week 8 hits and I don’t want to go as I am worried about how I am doing to stuck to 800 calories. As I think we all know we go on holiday and eat, eat, eat. In Australia you have this amazing place called the Sushi Train – a total No, No now and I am famous for eating enough plates for two when I go there.

I don’t know about Australian libraries but in NZ you can get free exercise DVD’s for 28 days at a time. Maybe you could check your local library out for exercise ideas. Having someone show you the exercise and then tell you that you have to do x amount helps me, otherwise I can slack off. I must admit some of overly happy thin people in the DVD’s can piss me off a bit – yes I am jealous!

I think this forum is great – thank you for starting this post.

on

Mel First Timer,
    Hey Mel First Timer,
    Thanks for your great post. You sound like you are doing incredibly well, so I’d say don’t let the scales dictate how you are feeling, there are lots of variables… hormone levels, water retention, all sorts of things. As for the spinach… sorry to say spinach wilts when you heat it, but it is really really good for you 🙂

Interesting what you say about no problems about not being hungry. Me neither! In fact, being totally honest I have been less than 800 a day for a couple of days and I reckon that is ok as long as I don’t keep doing it. Where are you going for your holiday? I get what you mean, how do you know what you can eat, or what is available. I was at my son’s girlfriend’s place and they gave me a lovely tea, no milk, but it was very sweet and it was one of the T2 teas, New York Breakfast, and I just didn’t know if I could have it. So whilst they are having lovely locally made beer, I’m trying to be good on the tea and then I’m standing there not knowing if I should even drink it.

I think a huge part of this, and time consuming, is preparation. If you can check out what’s available locally re food for your holiday, you may be able to manage it. It would be such a shame to miss out on your holiday. It’s a bit like stepping into the unknown right now eating out right? I haven’t done it yet, except for the snails at the French place.

I’ve never been to New Zealand, but I really love the accent. Flight of the Conchords! Here’s to us, and our positive journey to better things! You are doing so so so well!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi just wanted to pop in and say a little about diabetes. HappyKangaroo what you are feeling at the moment is perfectly normal. I remember when I was first diagnosed maybe 7 years ago now, I felt just like you. Angry, sad, annoyed with myself etc. etc. BUT you have found the way to reverse your diabetes and because you are tackling it so soon I’m sure you will have a successful outcome.

Mel First Timer there are other people on the forums who have had similar and worse diagnoses than yours and still managed to reverse their T2 . So take heart and have faith. Diabetes, and the awful problems that can come with it, can be reversed and averted.

In my own case I had been diagnosed with T2 for about 5 years before I came across the BSD. I was taking 2000mg of metformin a day and decided rather than just take myself of medication, which some people do when they start this way of eating, that I would be guided by my medical practice. So it probably took me longer to come off medication but in practice my blood sugars were within the normal range within a matter of months. This way of eating does work.

Not everybody loses weight quickly or in a straight line we all have blips for a dozen different reasons. Rather than the scales measurements are a good indication of where you are up to. Also, when it comes to diabetes it would seem that the carbs are the real devils that need to be controlled, not just in the initial stages to lose weight, but for ever! But as a few of you are already experiencing hunger disappears and taste buds change with time and the cravings that you may have for sweet stuff just disappear.

Good luck, enjoy the journey and just shout out if you need help. There are lots of us here who have been travelling this road for quite a while and have stumbled and fallen but always got back up and carried on, and are happy to help as and when by sharing our experiences.

on

HI there Verano, I am testing the measurement theory completely as I am just going to measure once every two weeks. Working to lose 4″ so in the land of dreams this is an inch every fortnight over the eight week period. But I am sure it won’t be quite as regular as that, but I am optimistic that progress will be made. Good luck everyone.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Tapemeasuremum – I think that’s a great idea. To start iwth I just measured myself as I didn’t’ much enjoy the scale readings! I measure myself approx every week at the moment and it’s slow but downward. That’s the main thing! I started weighing myself a bit later but I always think measuring is so important.
    Hello to everyone else joining HappyKangaroos group 🙂
    Snailrunner – 1kg on day 3 is really brilliant especially as you weren’t doing as low carb as some. Great result.
    MelFirstTimer – don’t worry too much about the holiday yet. You might find by week 8 you don’t want to eat the wrong type of foods anyway especially if you have weight loss to spur you on. It can be surprisingly easy (and hard I know in some places) to find the right food at times. Some meat – cheese – vegetables – often there’s something. Looking forward to you joining us 🙂
    Eating out I find nandos a great option! Not that I’ve done a full blown holiday but at nandos there’s so many carb free options its great.
    HappyKangaroo – what a great way of putting it – I reckon we should consider we are sacrificing our health if we continue with the old way of eating! I haven’t really set any specific exercise goals yet other than making sure I always walk more each day than I used to. So far – so good. Least its a bit of extra movement.
    Lessmuffintop – hope you’re going well.

on

Dear Maid2Measure, so glad you are seeing progress with the tape measure. I am resisting the impulse to measure several times each week but as soon as I see any progress I will be reporting it on here. Agree wholeheartedly about Nandos, great for this way of eating. Am hoping to do a bit more moving around next week and that should help.

Please log in or register to post a reply.