similar diets

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

this reminds me very much of a diet I did several years ago – called the ‘SCARSDALE MEDICAL DIET’
    which was basically very low carbs as in cutting out bread/potatoes/rice/pasta
    I lost around 2 stone in 2 months, and I was way lighter than I am now!!
    I was also not hungry all the time

so why does my stupid head – and mouth!! – always sabotage the ‘good’ ways of eating?

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello keeptrying,
    I have asked myself much the same question. Previous diets I have done, I’ve lost weight & it creeps back on. The last major diet I did was high protein/low carb (not Atkins, but a variant) worked well. I had some health issues a few years back which had the result that I really piled on the weight (because I wasn’t able to exercise to the same extent as I had been). I think that eventually boredom kicks in and I want to try other things – I cannot conceive of life without the occasional loaf of bread, some rice or pasta, and I have told myself I will be careful about introducing them gradually, just as an occasional thing. Biggest problem I find is succumbing to temptation in the supermarket – usually when I am not feeling 100% and I want some serious comfort food. I’ve also been guilty in the past of consuming too large portions.

The saying “a little of what you fancy does you good” is very true – for me, it’s when the “little” becomes “larger” & “too often” that causes problems! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Think the key is to recognise potential triggers for sabotage. If you find yourself on the slippery slope, nip it in the bud with a quick return to 800cals BSD.
    Good luck,
    Rose

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying & RozyDozy
    38 years ago after the birth of my youngest child I started a diet. Then I tried slimming world or was it weight watchers. Then Atkins & the 5:2 diet! None of this registered with me as being a serial dieter!! Or as having a problem keeping my weight down. How sad was that?
    It wasn’t til I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes ( & both parents had it) that the penny dropped. And it wasn’t til my mother died & the stress levels ( from her illness ) came down, that I eventually put me first.

Your Mind & body has to want this BSD life changing diet/ way to LIVE to work.

There is HELP here like no other. For T 2 Diabetics this IS our chance for a meds free/controlled LIFE. All we had before was doom & inevitability. This DOES have to work for US. And, if other illnesses & life long struggles with food can be helped too that is a fantastic bonus for us all.

Everyone, give this diet all you’ve got. You were led here for a reason. It’s time , the right time for YOU. We are the pioneers & we will make a change happen

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Eureka,
    I’m not diabetic but I was overweight enough to be feeling crap all the time & it was affecting my ability to do things. You speak a lot of sense (have you considered motivational speaking?). I agree – this is a way of life now (but I will permit myself the odd little non-BSD treat). You mentioned stress – it’s those negative events that cause anxiety/stress/depression that play a large part in derailing people’s good intentions. I think it’s quite sad when I read messages from people who think they are somehow failing when the weight doesn’t drop off as quickly as expected – there’s possibly quite a bit of low self-esteem/lack of confidence lurking behind these messages. But I truly believe that everyone who has opted to follow the BSD is intelligent, capable of independent thought, and had the courage to do something to improve their personal circumstances. Perseverance is key to overcoming hurdles. There is a very definite improvement in health, and consequently general happiness/confidence.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I am not diabetic either
    and really I was just pointing out how similar the diets are
    I did 5:2 from jan this year and lost almost a stone and a half
    I found it straight forward and it worked well
    although I developed lots of throat/reflux problems
    but life events have overtaken me
    and my mh has deteriorated massively as a result
    consequently it has all caved in and the weight is returning

I came over to this forum because I was interested, and because I found a few people who were also suffering similar reflux issues as me

I agree it has to be a way of life – but then that was always going to be true, whatever path we decide upon

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi RozyDozy
    Do agree with you. I’m so happy to see this BSD & forum take flight. Change is possible & sometimes all it takes is the support of a kind word or willing ear. I’m seeing the mantle of experience passed on as more of us complete the 8 weeks & beyond. This is the way we get change.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying
    It’s good to have you here. I lost 2 stone in 6 months on 5:2 diet when first diagnosed T 2. 3 years ago. Then my world caved in & nothing much could be done about it! I’m a do’er & can’t stand by idly! Sometimes in life there is no choice!
    All the worry gave me terrible gastric reflux , just eating away at myself. But now, it’s all gone ๐Ÿ˜€ The cause I think for me, circumstances & simple carbs!

The 5:2 is very similar to this BSD diet, but I was still eating the simple carbs 5 times a week. I like this life style/Mediterranean way of life & it is working for me. It’s for keeps. Now I’ve a chance of reversing my T 2, no guarantees.

I really hope this works for you too.. It’s our time & we deserve it

• posted by Patsy
    on

One problem is that natural, healthy foods are less profitable than highly processed junk so they’re not advertised as much and often given less prominent space in shops.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi all,
    Really noticing how much junky food adverts are on continuously. When you think about it it’s almost like a constant, brainwashing even if you’re not consciously watching them and they are just on in the background. Terrible, although I’m very glad that shops like Lidl and Aldi by their popularity seem to be having an effect on other supermarkets also bringing down their prices on the fresh stuff to try and woo customers away from them.

Staying away from the promo aisles is probably a good idea when shopping as virtually all the promo stuff will be junk

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I don’t really have a problem with the supermarkets
    if I am – as I am currently – it is head down and buy binge foods and get out
    other times I make a list and try to stick to it
    since I am EXTREMELY indecisive, if I don’t have a list I always worry that I look really shifty as I sort of wander around all over the place as my head is telling me all sorts
    anyway
    last night I began reading Gary Taubes book – ‘why we get fat’ which I bought a few weeks back
    he of course is saying the same as Dr Mosley re. cutting carbs
    so although I have already had my beloved carby oatibix cereal, I will try from today to cut back on the carbs
    I don’t think I will count calories as that just makes be become majorly obsessed
    I actually find it easy to eat meat/fish with just veg and no potatoes or rice – although I will have to watch the amount of root veg I eat
    I don’t think I can do the fd at the moment as throat is still not right – although bizarrely it is much better when I am bingeing on biscuits/cake etc
    anyway, I know I cant continue like this and I BADLY DONT want to put back on all the weight I lost since january

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi keeptrying,
    Like you, I’ve noticed similarities between different diets. I wasn’t able to get on with the 5:2 diet for some reason but you’ve had success with it. Since we are all different I guess we have to experiment to get the thing that works best for each of us. Like you, I don’t calorie count (I obsess about too many other things!).

To go back to your original post, and the question “why do we sabotage the good ways of eating” – there must be many reasons but to me there are two main culprits:

1a) Boredom – sometimes I tire of the foodstuffs I’m eating. While I enjoy trying out new foods, only some will stay in my cupboards. Others I won’t replace when I’ve finished them up. Variety is the key to maintaining interest, even if that does mean the occasional non-BSD-approved foodstuff. (And I mean occasional, not regular!)
    1b) Boredom again – if I keep myself occupied, distracting myself from thinking about food, then I’m OK. Knitting while watching the TV doesn’t provide enough distraction – it has to be something physical, be it gardening or housework for me, or a long walk. A busy day at work, while exhausting, can help me stick to the right path.
    2) Worry/Stress, illness etc – when my mind is clear and I’m feeling good, I can weather any storm. When I’m tired, ill, anxious about something I don’t handle things well and I can go off the rails (as I did this Bank Hol weekend). The rules that I follow to keep me on the BSD path can go out of the window in the blink of an eye.

It concerns me when I go off the rails but I also know from my own experience (and from others on this forum) that, ultimately, the solution lies with me. It’s me who has shovelled crap down my throat, it’s me who does my shopping. And it’s only me who can make me lose the weight I need to lose. It’s not just the food I consume, I need to address these boredom/stress issues, then maybe I will stop being my own saboteur.

There’s an awful lot of “me” and “I” in the above – I think I’ve just delivered a lecture to myself. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Take care,
    Rose

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying & RozyDozy
    Do you both know how brave you are? Life keeps throwing c- -p into the sea, yet you both are swimming through it. Recognising, & voicing what a lot of us fear & drown in! Go to it girls. There is a fabulous island out there just waiting for you two to sunbathe on.
    Eureka. ๐Ÿ ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿป ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿป

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Thank you for your kind words, Eureka. Your swimming through crap analogy made me smile. Not sure how brave I am – possibly more bloody-minded! Think I need to put my Emotional Eater side of me into a straightjacket, lock her in a dungeon and throw away the key.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

swimming through cr*p – oh yes!! – although I am not sure I would want to be seen sunbathing anywhere – it would be way too distressing for passers by!!

I have fairly serious mh issues anyway (and yes I know it says you shouldn’t sign up to this way of eating if you do)
    and my father passed away a few weeks ago and a couple of weeks ago it all sort of started to cave in
    that is when my 5:2 eating slipped into oblivion
    today I was doing ok but have not come in and binged
    but tomorrow I wont have those binge foods so we shall see

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

So sorry to hear that you lost your father recently. Puts my recent problems into perspective.
    Be kind to yourself & stay strong,
    Take care.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thank you rose
    I have to say I don’t believe my current ‘mess’ is caused by dad, but my mh team do
    I don’t seem to be feeling anything much, not even numb but they say it is my way of coping with such intense emotion
    hmmm well been doing that for years!
    can you believe it I have just had4 chocolate mini rolls! well there is only 1 left then they are GONE

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

4 choc mini rolls, eh? I scoffed a whole box of Dairy Box chocs on Sunday (plumbed new depths for me). Well, the evidence has been eaten – once it’s gone, it’s gone & it’s not in the house anymore. Yesterday & today I’ve been back on track.

Time to pretend you are Gone With the Wind’s Scarlett O’Hara: After all, tomorrow is another day.

I’ve been told that I “internalize” – so it’s good to have something like this forum just to get things off your chest. There are plenty of people reading these message threads so I’m sure others will be able to chip in with advice & encouragement. I sincerely hope you find a way to deal with your problems.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying
    That’s very hard to bear & too soon to be coming out the other side just yet. Give yourself time. Many on this site are trying to cope with loss & severe illness, their own & others close to them. We’ve all walked those paths but here you don’t have to do that alone.

If you can have medical support to reference your desires & goals re this BSD, grab it with both hands. So many of us are/have been fighting for that.

We have to come first now because the decision, effort & change we want is monumental.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I guess I have the right name – although it should perhaps be keepfailing

I decided to start yesterday, and began by having scrambled eggs instead of cereal
    that was ok, I guess, it certainly kept me feeling full
    all went ok until the evening when I got in to find a letter that just tipped me over the edge – which is never very far away!
    so handfuls of biscuits later
    then fish and salad which I hated
    then more biscuits
    and feeling, knowing, it is pointless

trouble is I LIKE CEREAL and it works for me, and its quick, and its not even a sugary one, and I like milk
    and
    well and I feel like a pathetic angry heap of …. today because everyone else manages it and so did I a month ago
    and actually – hotter weather seldom helps because I really don’t much like salad

ok
    moans and rants out of the way, now I creep off and leave you in peace!! for now at least ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Don’t you dare creep off
    Beating yourself up over a slip up will not do you any good at all. I used to like lots of things that I don’t even think about now but you have to give yourself the chance to get to that stage. Eating doesn’t solve problems and I bet you feel worse at this moment than you did reading that letter.
    You already know you can do this so forget the past and concentrate on the future.
    Next time you feel a blip coming on, give a shout on here, there will be loads of people here to talk you out of it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Keeptrying, that is what you are doing. One day only you had a minor slip up. Get back on the wagon and all will be fine!!! We have all had a slip up somewhere along this journey. The beautiful thing about the blood sugar diet is that it is so easy to get back on board. So no guilt please!!!

You will be surprised how much sugar is in all cereals!! So forget them! Make yourself a nice big batch of coconut flour flatbreads ( recipe on this site) and freeze them so when you feel the munchies due to stress you can have one of those as a meal with a dollop of yogurt and a few strawberries. Even without any added sugar they taste sweet and should satisfy that need.

Switzerland has just made the guilt free chocolate brownies and said they meet her chocolate craving. Make a batch and freeze them for emergency situations when you feel like you will lose control – and like Bill says, just shout, we are all here for you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I know how much sugar is in my cereal – which is very little
    I also know it is high carb as are all cereals by their very nature
    I know what it is

I tried yesterday I have tried again today (not quite the disaster of yesterday but not ‘bsd’

i just don’t feel strong enough

• posted by keeptrying
    on

sorry that all sounds abrupt and maybe rude I don’t know
    why am I here at all
    it must be because I KNOW things need to change
    I hate being fat
    I hate food
    I hate my diabolical and chaotic relationship with all things ‘eaten’

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi keeptrying – I have never posted on these forums before, despite the fact I will have completed 8 weeks in another 2 days. A bit more about that soon. I have chosen to post now because reading your posts gives me such a hollow feeling inside of me because I know so well exactly what you trying to express. It’s just that feeling of being overwhelmed knowing you have not been successful in the past and why should this one be any different.
    Listen to me – because you ARE me in that I have been where you are now (many times). I was born fat and I have struggled to lose weight all my life with various diets/wrong governmental information. Most of my life I have been double the weight I should be – 17stones 2pounds/5 feet tall at my heaviest. I am now a 57 year old postmenopausal women and have only lived half a life due to my weight.
    When I started my 8 weeks, I was heartbroken at having to give up my porridge which I really loved – 500 cals/40grams carbs – I worked out a low carb/high protein version coming to 200 calories. But here’s the surprising thing – 2 weeks into this , I gave that up too! You don’t even have to follow the recipes in this book. I made up a list of 200 calorie foods of foods that I like – late breakfast 200 cals – mid afternoon meal 200 cals and an evening meal of 400 cals (protein of either fish, meat, pulses, cheese with cauliflower cous cous (Davina McCall) /vegetables. There is nobody more shocked than I am that I have managed to lose 22 pounds in just under 8 weeks when I couldnt lose weight before no matter how hard I tried or how healthily I ate. Then you become demoralised and binge because what’s the point when doing everyhing right is not working.

Take another look at your name – ‘keeptrying.’ Please live up to that. Minor falls are just that. Pick yourself, dust yourself down and go at it with a strong positive mind knowing that you are only human after all. You will find when you start seeing losses and non scale victories, it will only encourage to do even more – hence I was in a position to finally wave goodbye to my porridge and not even miss it anymore. Consistency is the key. Read the book as many times as you need to, work out what need to do to make this work for yourself – we are all individuals – one size does not fit all. Make sure your meals are simple combinations that do not take ages to make – use your freezer! I made 16 chicken thighs with spices and froze them. When you want fed – haul one out, some green beans/other veg and cauli rice or cous cous – yum yum.

I read somewhere that until your body does not get it’s quota of nutrients, it will make you keep eating until it gets its requirements. Once you gradually start eating natural fresh food, it’s a proper shocker to know that you dont want the junk anymore. Several people have found that it’s too much to start right away and they have given themselves one to two weeks to ‘practice.’ This allows you to ease yourself in and allow for ‘falling of the wagon’ without guilt. You’ll likely lose weight anyway! Then , set a date for the beginning of your 8 weeks and go go go.

You go girl. You can do this! You and me – soon to be ‘total babes.’ – Lol. Have you seen my name – jumping the gun a bit, but I’ll get there. Then you can go from ‘keeptrying’ to ‘duntrying.’ You wait and see! You can do this! Some fantastic ‘veterans’ here who have done so well (you know who you are)- they are all here to support you.

See you on the ‘over the 8 week line’ thread soon. Can’t wait to post on that in 2 days time.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying
    We all know that our relationship with food has to change. Maybe we’ve had this problem for a long time. It’s very hard to turn things around in just a few weeks. Sometimes it’s better to take really small steps than to throw yourself straight into things. Perhaps you could manage to gradually cut down yout calories and your carbs. Would it help you to keep a paper diary as well as posting here? I did & found it very useful.
    Take your time & do what you feel you can
    Eureka

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi dumptynomore
    Had tears in my eyes reading your post. You have achieved so much , with your weight loss & your post. ๐Ÿ’
    You are a total babe

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi dumptynomore, it may have been your first post but what an inspiring one! We need you posting more often!!

Delighted to hear you cross the 8 week line in just 2 days. Congratulations ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi keeptrying,
    I’ve been using myfitnesspal as I have very little idea what a calorie is and have always had portions that were way too big, am finding it easier to weigh stuff as i go along and then put it in the app and then it tells me how much I have left to use up. It’s not a race to start but maybe as others have said if you give yourself time to ease into it then it would be mentally easier?

Jumping in is best for me and I’m being stubborn when I want something and telling myself it’ll go away and then trying to do something else instead.

dumptynomore’s post has so much wisdom in it ๐Ÿ˜€

keep posting, keeptrying and let us know how it’s going

Polly x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi keeptrying, no offence taken. You just sound so down I feel for you. For years and years I had porridge for breakfast and it’s hard to give up the familar, comforting foods but it IS worth it when the pounds drop off and you feel more energetic.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi keeptrying – all I did was reach out to you and look at all the support I got back – you are definitely in the right place here. Eureka – I hear you, sista, about the porridge! And what lovely flowers! Hashimoto – thanks for that lovely welcome. Thepolly – that ‘wisdom’ took 57 years to accumulate – at least I know what doesn’t work – lol.

Keeptrying – you said – ‘I hate food, I hate being fat’ – words I used many many times and still ended in Greggs buying 6 – yes 6 French Fancies, eating the lot, then hating myself. Just for the record, I know I haven’t cracked it yet – but each day is a new day -the potential for me to backtrack is always there. But I can only do what I can do and climb back on the wagon and not beat myself up about it.

Please be kind to yourself and give yourself some space. Bereavement is a one of life’s most stressful things. The strange thing about feeding your body healthy food is that you can cope so much better with ‘life.’ A very lovely and wonderous side effect. Eating healthy food also gives a ‘joie de vire’ which I don’t get when I am comatose with sugar.

I hope you find some comfort and encouragement in what I am saying. I know so well you think you can’t do it. Been there, done that, still doing it! But you can – you really can! Come on – join the party! Get that bunting up and let’s jig to some upbeat music (and make upbeat music of our own!)

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Meant to say – make upbeat music of our own – getting healthy

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thank you so very much for ALL your kind replies
    and to dumptynomore – a special thank you for such heartfelt and honest words, I am GLAD you decided to post last night
    I actually read it just before I went to bed and cried,

I think another factor that is blocking me – that didn’t before – was that my time on fd worked really well, I enjoyed the food way more, gave up most sweet things/carbs and gave up chocolate and didn’t miss it
    but contrary to apparently most of the world (apart from a couple of people I found on here), I GAINED considerable throat reflux issues and they just got worse
    and guess what
    yesterday and the day before, when I ate some low carb meals (before the binges) – those same darn issues began to get worse again, straight away, and that just does my head in even more

so I just am all over the place

I was never fat as a child – we ate the normal meat and veg and had some pies/cakes and sweets on a sunday and NO fizzy drinks ever except Christmas
    in fact I was pretty skinny and nobbly kneed right up until of course my teens when those vile hormones decided to make me change shape
    but even then it was all ‘in control’ because I was at home and others were controlling it and telling me when I was/wasn’t hungry really and when I didn’t need things

first 3 weeks at uni I gained half a stone – which of course was then ‘my fault’ because clearly it hadn’t happened at home
    its all my fault, everything
    I am currently reading the Gary Taubes book about why we get fat – you should read it – it is fascinating and really hammers in again and again the MYTH that is we are fat because we are lazy and eat to much

however I AM, I do both and I know it
    I understand that other foods help/make me lose weight – I saw that years ago on the scarsdale diet
    eating less carbs, I was less hungry, and lost lots of weight

I guess there is a lot of good reason why they have mh illness as part of the disclaimer for NOT signing up
    because my head scatters to the four winds and more – I am spinning round – and today I need to pack a lunch for myself and I cant even do that because it is all such a raucous mess inside me

I will do it, I need to do it, and lots of ‘me’ wants to, but I just don’t know if today or tomorrow or when

thank you for reading, if you got through all that xx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi keeptrying, when you are feeling like that perhaps you need some specific help in terms of organising things to make life easier.. Do you have access to a printer? Perhaps you could copy and paste the list of packed lunch ideas I have just added to this post. You could stick it to your fridge for ideas the night before work and pick something from it.

Something as simple as that can make all the difference to how you feel at the moment.

1. Frittata – it can be made the evening before and kept in the fridge. There is a recipe in the book but you can ring your own changes, add bacon instead of chickpeas or some cheese sprinkled on top before placing the pan under the grill.
    2. Dips and crudite – there are five dip recipes in the book and make a lovely packed lunch. Or ring the changes and add some chopped spring onion and a teaspoon of curry powder to a mix of cream cheese and yoghurt.
    3. Salad – a few leaves and salad veg of your choice with any of the following: tinned tuna or salmon, smoked salmon or other smoked fish, chicken, egg, ham, bean, cheese or any combination!
    4. Homemade coleslaw – prepare your carrot, onion and cabbage. Keep it in a sealed bag or container then each day mix some plain full fat yoghurt ( I add mustard too) into the amount of slaw you are having for lunch, then mix in the ingredients of your choice – walnuts, cheese, apple, celery, chicken etc.
    5. Soups – make up home made soups during your weekend and heat and place in flask to take to work – or in a container if you have access to a microwave.
    6. No carb ploughmans the recipe is in the book.
    7. Full fat yoghurt with a twist of seeds and berries to add at work.
    8. Half an avocado and a boiled egg just sprinkle some lemon juice or vinegar on the avocado to prevent it turning brown.
    9. Medi platter – the recipe is in the book
    10. Lettuce cups – there are three recipes in the book, they can easily be put into a container for work.
    11. Cottage cheese – add your own favourites from the typical BSD foods – a bit of diced smoked salmon and cucumber is tasty. There are more ideas in the book.
    12. Ham rolls – not that kind of roll! Spread some cream cheese on some ham and roll it up in a large lettuce leaf!
    13. Nuts and apple – if you are in a hurry grab a handful of nuts ( watch the calories) and an apple. Or a small piece of cheese and an apple.
    14. Courgette bhaji – just as nice cold. The recipe is on the website.
    15. Chickpea flour flat breads – the recipe is on the website, eat with your choice of food – treat it as a wrap.
    16. Red pepper rolls – Posted by Alibaba – (1 red pepper halved and filled with hummus, fresh coriander, cucumber, feta, a sprinkle of mixed seeds, black pepper & a squeeze of lemon juice)
    17. Coconut flatbreads – nice with some yoghurt and berries ( see website for recipe)

You could make a list of your favourite meals for your evening meal and do a similar thing. I make large batches of the chickpea flour flatbreads and freeze them. When you are feeling more up to it perhaps you could do the same?

Whatever you do please keep posting because we are all here for you whether you want to rant, weep, wail or celebrate your victories.

Hope you have a better day today ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by thepolly
    on

hashimoto, you are just so lovely and supportive ๐Ÿ™‚

dumptynomore, I’ve also been known to go to greggs and but 5 sausage rolls and eat them all in the past. Thing was I was sort of ‘punishing’ myself by making myself feel worse with food, then feeling guilty for eating all that food when other people in the world are starving (got that drummed into me as a kid in order to make me eat all my food). Lots of us on here seem to have years of being demonised over food whether by others or ourselves but it’s good that it’s a common experience in that others here understand.

keeptrying, hope you get to the bottom of the reflux problems. It’s horrible, happily I’ve only suffered it occasionally. I’m waiting for Jason Fung’s ‘The Obesity Code’ to arrive, it might help me get some more insight into all this stuff and I love learning new stuff anyway.

Polly x

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Practical magic. You’re a star ๐ŸŒŸ ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying
    You are trying to move forward. Sometimes we have to try & forgive our trespasses & those that trespass against us. I can’t think of more appropriate words to say!
    It’s not easy, life isn’t. And sometimes it takes all of our life to try & do that. I know.
    This diet – the effort & concentration of the mind involved in ‘ just do it’ is remarkable! For the first time many of us are realising the power to change & of change is within us. We are able to change things. We have taken control & we are happier for it.

Mindfulness :
    I think perhaps the Mindfulness forum would help you.

BSD followers please post to ‘ keeptrying ‘ if you are following this path. I think you could help her. Thanks

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi dumptynomore
    You’ve got all the King’s horses & all the King’s men behind you! Very glad you’re on the wagon ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘Œ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Eureka and thepolly but I am only doing what you are doing. Still appreciate it though! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hiya keeptrying – I did read all of your post and there’s no need to thank me for doing so – it was a pleasure. I’m glad I posted last night now -was thinking I might leave till this morning as it getting late- but you read it and I think you got something from it , so that’s good.
    There’s a couple of things that spring to mind. Your reflux sounds troublesome and it’s not good if it’s standing in the way of your health goals. I’m thinking there’s got to be reason for it. Have you been checked for helicobacter pylori? That’s a bacteria present in the stomach of 50% of the population, mostly without problem. In some it can cause the effects you are describing. All it needs is a simple blood test at your GP and, if positive, can be easily remedied with a two week course of medication. The other thing is, I find having no food in the stomach for overly long periods (5:2) can cause acid buildup leadingto your symptoms too. So, eating small amounts more frequently might help.
    It was nice to get your lovely long post and see you opening up a little more – that can be quite therapeutic, so keep going with that. Hashimoto has put up some fab eats, going to try some myself.

One thing I have found reading these forums – most people have been emlightened by this way of eating and lost loads of weight and that’s good to read about and so many congratulations to them – but there will be people who still struggle. I’m thinking there must be a lot more people in this category , but they just don’t post. Maybe they don’t want to be seen as ‘failures.’ One way or another there are many more success stories than unsuccessful ones. I think it is so brave of you to come on and be so honest – that’s a massive first step to take. It’s hard when you are in the minority and can think -‘What’s wrong with me?
    So take your time and make small changes that you can cope with. I’ve been keeping a journal for ten years where I write down my escapades in my weight loss efforts. Kudos to me that I have kept it going, but I am no lighter at the moment – but I won’t give up writing and I won’t give up trying. Looking back over the last 10 years , I have defo uphauled my food for the better, only my binges now to try to overcome and I think I’m getting there. I’m telling you all this in an effort to let you see that health goals will not happen overnight – small changes gradually is perfectly ok if that is what works for you!
    I’ve read Gary Taubes book. Essentially Atkins. I lost nearly six stones 3 years ago in 15 months, then piled it back on because its unsustainable for me in the long term. This BSD is not so harsh with carb cutting and actually encourages pulses, etc., so here’s hoping I can do it long term, but I definitely am not counting my chickens at this very early stage. (Had a piece of my son’s birthday cake – haven’t had a slip in over 6 weeks , then I go and do that 2 days before my final weigh in – and after I was trying to support you – what the hell is WRONG with me! Anyway back on the straight and narrow again today)

The polly – we defo punish ourselves with food – not doing it anymore – what does it achieve except for a food coma! I think we do it so we don’t have to face up to problems while we are comatose but the problems are still there when you come round!

Eureka – yes – an army of BSDers – united we stand – divided we fall – on the wagon just now, but for how long- eh? – lol!

Hashimoto – great post and very supportive. Will be following that myself – thanks.

Keeptrying – thinking of you! Please keep posting

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I have just lost my long post and I am so very sorry because I simply don’t have the energy to re-write it just now
    please for now just accept my thanks to you all, dumptynomore, eureka, polly, hashimoto and any others I have forgotten to mention
    I will try to get my head around proper replies again later
    xx

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Aw bless you keeptrying- that happened to me last night! I was raging when it happened. So hard to rewrite it agin – my second post was nowhere as good as the one that got lost!
    I’ve discovered the secret is to keep putting something down (like nnnnnnnnnnn for example), then just scrub it when you want continue with writing. Enjoy the rest of your day!

• posted by Patsy
    on

For those wondering about cutting carbs, but not counting calories – it works. That’s what I’ve been doing.

No snacks (Well, almost none) just three carb free meals a day (except my birthday and a couple of other actual ocassions eg it’s a friend’s weding today and I will eat a piece of wedding cake). I was very strict with myself the first few days and felt like I did have to try quite hard then and sometimes felt hungry. Since then, I haven’t been hungry and have so far lost a stone (7 weeks).

I do have to pay attention when shopping and not just grab what I fancy without thinking ‘are there carbs in that?’ and to make good choices and sometimes leave food on my plate when eating out, but that’s a small price for improved health. I’m still eating plenty of things I enjoy and don’t feel deprived.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I’ll echo Patsy’s post as that’s exactly how I did it from day one.
    Just hit the 2.5 stone lost mark so yes, it does work.

• posted by thepolly
    on

my book came today ‘the obesity code’ by Jason Fung, not read much of it yet but it’s really good. He’s a Canadian nephrologist so was at the stage of treating obesity caused type II caused kidney failure and started wondering about why doctors are handed down flawed wisdom and then end up treating symptoms and not causes. He also founded the dietary management clinic in Toronto and has a blog at https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Just for further reading, treating myself is now my newest obsession. Cos obsession can be a good thing if used in a positive way – probably

Polly x

• posted by keeptrying
    on

hi polly
    I have seen the videos Jason fung has on you tube – think there were 6, each about an hour long – all about sugar and diet etc – really good – and scary how much evidence has been out there for decades, which has just been ignored or twisted to mislead us all

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I feel so very tired today, well most days,
    I did go for a walk, for about an hour and half, by the fields – it was nice, but I seem so slow at the moment and distant

anyway, I need to reply to you good people, so here goes, I will do it in little bits and hope not to lose them
    dumptynomore – I know that ‘whats wrong with me’ feeling as I posted on the 5:2 forum about my INCREASED issues with reflux and what the specialist had said, and people just said he didn’t know about fasting, and how I was obviously not eating healthy etc etc –
    I have spent my life having my experiences and feelings denied, and it is SO triggering to me
    I know the people concerned are kind and caring and were only trying to help, I know that – but it just sent me reeling
    – as a result I prowled around this site and found a couple of people experiencing similar, was so relieved, that is why I joined here
    I have been on a PPI for over a year and that has helped lots with tummy pain, and although I have not had the blood test – I do know that ulcer issues have run in my family, so it wouldn’t be a surprise
    I have actually just stopped my ppi for the moment as I think it may be what has been causing my incredibly dry mouth
    still taking the gaviscon though

I do think some of us are just not good on empty stomachs – I mean it worked BRILLIANTLY for losing weight, but not sure about the stomach acid effects

I have also been recording what I eat – on and off, but mostly on – for about 11 months
    the reason being that I am supposed to be following a cbt plan to help overcome binge eating disorder – by recording – then planning WHEN to eat, etc
    it is interesting and often depressing to see what has gone in my mouth !!

re. punishing ourselves WITH FOOD – oh yes yes
    I have used it as a weapon of self destruction, along with others
    eat to comfort – eat to fill the emotional void – eat to punish this vile being – eat to punish eating …. as I say – food frightens me, it is many millions of miles from the simple, pleasurable experience some people seem to enjoy

• posted by keeptrying
    on

eureka, thank you
    and yes I have come across mindfulness re. mh
    I have been looking at the threads on here and especially the one about the online free resources which really do look like I MUST take this more seriously
    I try to be more mindful when I eat – which occasionally works – I eat slower, smaller mouthfuls, chew more, ‘listen’ to the feeling/taste/texture
    it certainly makes food more fulfilling

• posted by keeptrying
    on

hashimoto – thank you for that brilliant list
    I am a very fussy eater (despite all the junk I seem to consume) – but even I found things I like on that list!!

I bought some coconut flour today so will have a go at making some of the flatbreads later
    I am not coeliac, but I do find wheat bloats me A LOT and can cause other issues, so i have got used to gf pasta and bread
    it would be nice to find more recipes for coconut flour as even on the web it seems quite a ‘rare’ ingredient, unless me searching abilities are slipping

i actually enjoy grapefruit for breakfast (pink) and it staves of hunger really well – but for the moment, with all these reflux issues i think it is best avoided!!

• posted by keeptrying
    on

patsy and bill – yes i think it is easier for me to not count calories as i get crazy over it all otherwise
    i have bought more fruit and veg today and think i will just go ahead with that and protein for the moment

i am not a ‘pulses’ lover, and actually they don’t love me very much either, so i will be giving them a miss, certainly for the moment

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi thepolly
    Wasn’t it Jason Fung that said carbs are like money in the wallet, easy to spend. But fats are harder for the body to spend as they are in the bank! I think that’s a great analogy for the way our bodies use energy & I think he said it. Probably should get the book & him to sign it? I go to Toronto in June.

Please log in or register to post a reply.