similar diets

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying
    I’m a gobbler. Always eat fast so I too need to show some mindfulness & slow down.

There are so many ways we use food when you think about it. Can you remember the film Tom Jones? Albert Finney ๐Ÿ— & Diane Cilento ๐Ÿ— sat opposite one another just ripping & devouring food in a sexually heightened scene of desire! Brilliant acting, no words, ( & directing). Funny how I can remember that scene. ๐Ÿ˜„ No comment!

And we use food as an act of rebellion & defiance, by eating or not eating it. It’s a deep subject when you really consider it. No wonder there are so many issues surrounding it. You have me thinking now.

Re : Reflux.
    I’ve had gastric reflux for years. It disappeares when my carbs do! No reflux for all the time I’ve been on this diet! ๐Ÿ˜ƒI’ve been thinking about the physicality of swallowing. When something upsets me my throat tightens. And my neck muscles too. My mouth is dry. Hard to swallow with no saliva as lubricant. I can feel food sticking inside at about sternum height. The food won’t move up or down. Air is trapped & I feel I can’t breath properly & it brings on a panic! Really not a good feeling at all.

I’ve slept with 3 pillows for years to keep upright as I ‘ drown in acid’ if I lay flat. It’s terrible to wake at night like that & the pain is very bad. Coughing to get the acid out of your lungs. The acid scars the soft tissue in the oesophagus. Swallowing food gets more difficult & the cycle continues.
    This diet is worth it if I never have that again. And what’s more, my mother , father & both sons had/ have it too. Oh boy these carbs!!
    Deep stuff for a Saturday. Mindfull or what?

• posted by keeptrying
    on

well I just made the coconut flatbreads
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    its not often I like the ‘alternative’ things I try
    but these are yummy
    I made 4 small ones
    and – I am sure this is NOT the intention, but I had one broken up with stewed apple and berries and a bit of yoghurt
    yummy yum
    please don’t tell me it is all forbidden in the bsd
    but even if it is, it was yummy

and you are right – because of the coconut flavour, they taste ‘sweetish’ – or maybe that is just my permanent obsession with all things sweet

(fyi I had salmon and veg for dinner)

• posted by thepolly
    on

I’m not sure, Eureka as I’ve only just come across him and I have hours of his stuff to watch yet ๐Ÿ™‚ He seems to be good at explaining the science stuff simply. I need to read more on dietdoctor.com as well.

Today I am having a munchy day which is typical as I have drs or nurse on Monday afternoon. Made these chickpea salt and vinegar things that Izzy mentioned on her post… stupidly made them and they are much much too nice….

Suppose it’s better than eating really bad things

keeptrying, have you come across barenaked foods? They do rice and pasta-alikes. Not the cheapest but are made of konjac (type of asian yam) flour. I have got some of the rice (it’s more like a pasta but in tiny grains) they are 20 cals per 250 g and not much else. Not the cheapest of things but holland and barrett are doing the penny sale thing on them at the moment – the pasta variety so they are 2 for ยฃ3.

Polly x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sounds good to me keeptrying! As long as you didn’t sweeten the apple! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by keeptrying
    on

no, hashimoto, no added sugar, just 2 bramley apples and some mixed frozen berries and a drop of water (and that all makes about 4 portions for me

I just weighed myself and I was down by 3/4 of a pound, and although I have had some good eating this week I have also had lots of binges

if I can have a week without bingeing, then I can maybe see what low carb can do

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi keeptrying, it sounds luscious. I’ve only had them with yoghurt or cream and berries. I have a couple of bramleys so I’ll give it a go!

I’d love to see what happens if you can have a week without binges : )

• posted by keeptrying
    on

had a good day today (well if you don’t count my cereal, and the chocolate earlier!!) – but good for me!!
    I have now read that cooking fruit destroys enzymes or something – well tough – I like it – and I am NEVER eating raw rhubarb (which actually I think is classed as a vegetable so I might be excused that one)

you will – might – be pleased to know I have finally ordered the book

I last saw my gp just a few weeks ago and he was majorly impressed with all the weight I had lost on the fd, although he said he could not face doing any days of 600cals
    he said he was proud of me, and that has stayed in my head

unfortunately, just 2 days later I had a big trigger re. my mh and – well – did some self destructive things, which also included the eating going haywire

so, here we go again, trying to haul on the ropes of control once more – *SIGH*

• posted by jane c
    on

Hi, as I understand it, carbs give me a high, which is very addictive. My stomach is full but some days my head/mouth are totally craving carbs. (Usually booze OR cake, which says it all really).
    I’m hoping that eventually I’ll have kicked the habit, but no idea when.
    Keep on keeping on :). And the occasional lapse is just one of those things.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Keeptrying — I was so very glad to see you mention the book by Gary Taubes — ‘Why we Get Fat and What To Do About It’. It is an excellent book on how our current food choices (pushed by our own government, sadly) are all wrong and how we can fix it. He also wrote a fantastic, bigger-picture book called ‘Good Calories, Bad Calories’ — it came out about five years ago and it is absolutely worth the rather long read. Both books changed my entire understanding of food and my relationship to it. I hear your personal struggle in your posts and I have much empathy for you. I recommend following up on Gary Taubes diet suggestions at the back of his book (it comes out of research at Duke University in North Carolina, USA — absolutely reputable). His suggestions are a perfect “fit” with the BSD. I have been using both ideas to craft my own workable plan. I am sure you can find a path that works for you. Don’t despair — you are probably just on the edge of getting it right.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Has anyone looked at the harcombe diet at all? I’m sort of interested in it because it also takes into account other food intolerances and starts with quite a strict 5 days of only certain foods and then I think you start re-introducing them gradually.

Am a bit annoyed with their site as you have to pay to use the forum there ๐Ÿ™

Glad you are having a better day, keeptrying.

Polly x

• posted by keeptrying
    on

well I am not one to weigh every day – well actually I was, until those overseeing my ‘binge eating disorder’ restricted me to once a week
    this is much better as you don’t get obsessed by it daily, and reactive to whatever you see which of course varies all the time
    HOWEVER
    I did just have a sneak look, simply because I have been spending far more than ‘pennies’ on the loo!!!!
    so it has even gone down half a pound since yesterday
    insane!!
    now
    do I check each day, or wait until next Sunday, like a good girl? hmmmm

just had berries and yog for breakfast,

annoyingly my stupid throat issues have flared up a bit again, so I am not happy about that
    also my tummy has been giving twinges which may be because I have stopped taking my PPi

why is nothing ever straightforward

still waiting for the ‘anti reflux’ book to arrive
    goodness I am spending so much money on food books at the moment

hi, californiagirl – yes I totally agree, that Gary Taubes book is really brilliant – I am actually reading it ALL through

I get a bit tangled up at times, but in essence it is simple – carbs/sugars are bad for us and the people that knew this have either ignored it or lied to us or both

the NHS is in a financial crisis – as is medicine the world over it seems
    WELL – imagine how much could be saved if THIS way of life is adopted, even by some

goodness I need to get off this bandwagon, as I am not even sticking to it myself yet

I just feel so angry that we have been so totally indoctrinated by people in power!!

• posted by thepolly
    on

Love how passionate you are sounding from your bandwagon.

The trouble is there is so much of the icky stuff tied up into foodstuffs (money) and the sugar lobby are very powerful especially in the States. As the UK seems to follow the worst of the things that come from there and not the best – then that may be some of the problem.

Big pharma also wants to push the expensive tablets onto the ‘sick’ and keep us thinking we need it. I really don’t like taking any tablets as I’ve always been a believer in the power of self-healing, probably cos I’ve never been ill for any long periods of time. Glandular fever only got me for 3 weeks when I know others have had it for months.

Hope that your book comes soon and helps sort the reflux out

Polly x

Please log in or register to post a reply.