Seriously Sensible September

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Birdy …. on all counts! I have taken you book recommendation on board and will take a look. With regards to the calories in some of the keto recipes, I’ve never even thought to calculate them! I am doing TMAD at the moment but I’m only at the start of day 3 so time will tell. I guess for me the important thing is that eating keto I’ve not eaten nuts or Ryvita for two days! I did have two squares of 90% yesterday because I did a random check of my blood sugar yesterday, a couple of hours after lunch, and it was 4.1. I have never had such a low reading and it frightened me, even though I felt fine.
    I’m sure once we both have our heads around keto we will be in a much better place to make a proper judgement. In the meantime we just have to keep low carb!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi CC, a hug for your feeling of the missing part of your shadow. – My poor rescue collie is probably getting a complex at present. – As I my energy has been drained by the busy season I have been forgetting who I am talking to and call him by my previous collie’s name.

Birdy, V, Elky and anyone else experimenting with keto. – I am also struggling with the move to cooking a wider range of dishes which are keto. I am getting more into the range of sauces, so I can cook veg in butter and cream based sauces. – I am going to experiment with cooking spinach in a rich sauce this evening. –

The best meal I ever had in a restaurant was a souffle with a very rich parsley sauce, and I came across a recipe where you can make an omelette souffle style yesterday. – Just by separating the egg yolks and whites, whisking the whites to peaks and then gently folding them together before cooking like a normal omelette. – That could be a good combination.

I really want to stay in ketosis for longer stretches for a while. – I think from all I have read that it will give my body the opportunity it needs to heal from long term IR, and eventually decrease how sensitive I am to just the smallest amount of carbs. – But it looks like I am going to be dropped into the deep end on this from Friday. – One of my nephews is coming to stay on Friday possibly for a few weeks. – So I am going to have to get out of my rut of regular favourite meals and cook meals to share with someone who is used to a regular diet of plates full of cheap carb heavy food.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good to see so many people experimenting with keto diets. I had a look back but can’t find any threads devoted to the keto diet so I may set one up so we can share our experiences.
    JGwen your omelette recipe sounds lovely. I made an ordinary omelette yesterday with a few spears of asparagus and spring onion with a little cream. It was very tasty. But I’ll definitely try yours. Maybe you could get your nephew to embrace low car eating!!

• posted by Annach
    on

Hello all, hope everyone is doing well. I used Keto to control chronic reflux and IBS. The reason I gained weight is because I stopped it….
    kids back at school tomorrow so I’m hoping routine will help me adhere to the plan of 800 calls as much as possible. Had a bit of a treat last night and having a last meal before school with the family tonight. Back at it tomorrow.

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Thanks for the book recommendation birdy
    Looks really good and the Amazon reviews are very good.
    Had a good day today got some exercise in first time in a while .
    Going to try to be more regular with the exercise.

A quick question anyone experience changes in digestion when first starting lower carb?

• posted by Verano
    on

https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/Conference a free conference
    Just thought I would post this link for anybody in the North West UK area. This conference is meant for ‘educators’ but I’m sure we could all become one for the day, after all we are all educating ourselves!
    Dr David Unwin is the main speaker.
    This link gives a list of other events around the world so may also be worth a look.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/events most events carry a charge

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Verano
    Great that you are immersed in keto! Maybe you could also post this in the Experimenting with Keto thread too? Sounds an interesting conference!
    Merry

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

@cysterbsd800 when we transitioned to keto/very low carbs we had some drastic change in our digestion, both my husband and I.
    However the changes were the opposite 🤣
    Constipation for me and well the other option for my OH.
    It only lasted a couple of weeks though until our bodies figured out what to do with all the fat maybe? And the lack of carbs for sure!
    I think it’s worthwhile adding a fiber supplement to your diet in the beginnings until everything settles down.

• posted by Annach
    on

Psyllium husks work a treat for transitioning to keto and for staying with it if you are concerned about fibre intake. Carbs are extremely low, 85g of fibre per 100g generally and most people wouldn’t exceed 10g in any given day. It works for the two types of potential issues that Louise mentioned..😳 not the most pleasant thing to digest but worth it!

on

@annach I agree, Psyllium husks are great and that is what we used to help with that transition period. I couldn’t remember the name hehe
    We would sprinkle it on food.

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Thanks for the tips will definitely try it.
    Had a difficult day today my daughter is teething so very cranky and frequent wakings she is getting her molars. I really have a problem.wiyh comfort eating so ended up having chocolate and mini magnum.
    Thankfully I said fit it a good brisk walk
    Will try harder tomorrow hopefully

• posted by 175Target
    on

coming to the weekend – which i am dreading as we have a day out on sunday for lunch. so far SSS has been going well and i have begun to discard again (from where i got to before weekend water and carb weight)

hoping to drop another 1.9lbs before monday weigh in (could be a challenge) as that would put be below 200lbs (and only 4lbs short of 14 stone) for the first time in 17 years. and if i can get down another 6.8lbs by the 19th which seems a step too far i will be under 14 stone for my daughters second birthday and well on my way to my 12.5 stone initial target (where i will reassess body composition)

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

175Target- some fantastic milestones not too far ahead for you. It’s these milestones that keep us focused on the bigger picture. Don’t stress about Sunday lunch. Enjoy it and maybe try and work round it by skipping breakfast or your evening meal. This way of eating is forever and our lives have to fit around the way of eating.

I am hoping for a 1lb loss this week – hoping for 4lb for September but I cheated and had a sneaky peek at the scales this morning (I have a tendency to be a scalaholic so try to limit myself to weighing only once a week) and the scales were slightly up! I’ve been really sensible this week again too. Still hoping to lose 1lb by Monday so am going to be seriously Sensible over the weekend. I have a feeling that I may plateau for the next couple of weeks as I did so well losing 5lb in August. I am a slow loser and know my pattern well! 🐢

Cyster- did you feel annoyed with yourself after eating the chocolate and mini magnum? I remember beating myself up after I ate four chocolates whilst making a brew at work. I felt so bad about it afterwards that I remembered how bad I felt the next time I was tempted. It really wasn’t worth it because I felt so bad! The girls at work were laughing at me for beating myself up but the chocolates weren’t worth how bad I felt afterwards. This way of eating can be quite forgiving when we follow the rules. Just dust yourself down, keep going and you might be surprised that no harm has been done.

Well it’s official weigh day for me on Monday. I’ll post my result on Monday morning and I only want 1lb this week -how hard can it be! Hope everyone has had a successful first week in September making sensible choices.

Have a great weekend everyone and remember to stay seriously sensible.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

175Target – is it a Sunday meal at a restaurant that you can pre-plan for? Or is it at someone’s house? Could you bring a dish and mostly eat that?
    Fingers crossed for you CC xx

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Thanks for the tips everyone
    Have been seriously sensible today so hopefully will continue losing.
    What does everyone do about weighing do you do weekly daily ?
    I was weighing myself daily but felt that it was too much thinking of doing weekly will see how it works out
    I’m just worried that I won’t be as strict if I don’t weigh myself
    Also do you all take measurements too if so how often?
    I did feel bad after eating the chocolate I do agree with you cc not worth it at all
    Will try to remember that feeling
    Have a lovely weekend everyone stay sensible

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Custer – I think the weighing is really a personal choice. I weigh daily because if I don’t, I don’t feel accountable and it would be easy to fall off the wagon. But, I have learnt (sort of) not to get too upset with the ups and downs. Our bodies change so much depending on hormones, sleep, mood etc that as long as you’re sticking to the WOE, it tends to even out. I do my measurements once a month – although I’ve found that despite losing weight, clothes being looser, they haven’t actually changed! And I do different measurements stop to toe so it’s weird. 🦄🦄 science strikes again!
    So, I say, do what makes you comfortable but don’t get too discouraged if you’re a bit up and down xx

• posted by 175Target
    on

Thanks CC and kaffin for the encouragement.

It’s not a restaurant where I can plan it’s a family fun day put on by a friends work. I could take food but I need to be able to control myself out and about or this won’t be sustainable for me. Going to focus on protein and fat and avoid carbs which are my usual weekend downfall. Also going to avoid snacking especially on nuts as I think I have too many. Finally going to chug water.

Any advice for what to eat and what to avoid greatly appreciated

on

175 Target – the family fun day will actually be easier than a restaurant in my opinion. nobody will notice whether you eat so you can, if you stay in control, bypass everything that isn’t BSD friendly and maybe even avoid eating at all. Perhaps have a cooked breakfast before you go and you won’t be hungry! You’re right though, we can’t avoid life going on around BSD so learning to say no and stay sensible is the way forward.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi 175 Target – If you’re like me, it’s not a question of whether you can take food for yourself or jot, it’s being tempted by everything else around you and for me it comes down to willpower. If I don’t have any alcohol, I do better because I’m more able to rationalize with myself!
    I would just do as you’ve said and stick to fats and protein as best you can. I’ve made this dish before and filled up on the Haloumi. Probably ate more cheese than I should but figured it was better than empty carbs that would put me out of ketosis.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-cauliflower-tabbouleh-with-halloumi-cheese

If you want a sweet treat then there are avocado chocolate truffles on the diet doctor website that are really good!

• posted by 175Target
    on

Thanks again cc and kaffin. Yes kaffin I am more like you. I am a foodie so it will be the smells that get to me. Hence I think I will have more luck sticking to low carb foods and not feel like I have “missed out”

I don’t want To knock myself out to ketosis. This week has been great I am at my lowest weight in 17 years just about 200lbs or 14 stone 4. Desperate to
    Discard to get below 200 as a milestone. So that’s a good motivator.

Have booked blood tests for 2 weeks time as I had a few readings that had gone the wrong way. I don’t have diabetes but had kidney stones in Feb and part of the advice was shift some weight. So aiming for good blood results is also a motivator

We have a cooker but restricted breakfast planned. Will take something for lunch in case they have nothing friendly and am taking my roobios tea bags so I can have hot drinks without going for a decaf latte. I have been off caffeine since April.

Alcohol isn’t a worry for me I drink very little always going for quality over quantity so can be dry for as long as I need.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

175 you are doing so well🥰 awesome! I am sure you will soon below 200lbs before you know it. Can I ask did you have to give up caffeine, or is it just something you thought you needed to do? I am not being bossy or anything but I was gonna go caffeine free and I used to buy caffeine free tea for my son as I thought it would be better for his ADHD. But I was told by his nurse that it is worse to have decaf because of the process it had to go through and the by products/effects make ms it worse for us. I haven’t actually looked it up myself but I took what he said, him being medical. Maybe worth a look. Hope you don’t mind me saying this?

I am doing well so far this month and the last time I weighed two days ago I had discarded 1lb, so I am now dead on 14stone🥰.

Hope everyone is doing well and having a great weekend. Birdy 🦜💞

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi 175 Target – getting under 200lbs was one of my big targets, too – it’s a brilliant feeling isn’t it to reach a milestone like that, and reaching your lowest weight in 17 years is fantastic.
    As far as going to the family fun day where the food isn’t in your control another tip from me – I usually have something waiting for me at home (low carb) that I really like to eat, so that if it turns out there isn’t much I can eat at the party, I know I’ve got something to really look forward to when I get home (or for next day’s breakfast). I may not even bother with it when I get home, but knowing it’s there really helps keep me on track. Hope you have a great day.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I’m enjoying not posting much at the moment (it’s doing me good being off the computer) but I am still cheering everyone on from the side lines. Enjoy the weekend and hope you all have a great week next week.

Jennie xx
    Edited: 175T – forgot to add my other tip would be to get to the food in reasonable time – I went to a party a few weeks ago where I saw all this beautiful BSD- friendly food come out, but was so busy chatting to someone by the time I got to the table all the BSD-friendly stuff had gone – lesson learnt!

• posted by 175Target
    on

Thanks Birdy and Jennie.

Yes it’s a great feeling to be on the cusp of a really milestone. So far I have discarded 35lbs which feels great.

Good idea to have something delicious to look forward to when we get home. Am making beef rangdang and cauliflower rice for supper this eve and will have freezer portions so might leave one out for tomorrow.

As for the caffeine happy to elaborate. It was actually based on something my leadership suggested as part of my coaching. We were working on optimism and working the optimism muscle and as part of that I had to cut out caffeine, fizzy drinks inc fizzy water, no social media or news of any kind plus some other bits for a month.

That was in April. However I haven’t gone back to caffeine or fizzy drinks apart from tonic water when I want a g&t or as a treat.

The place I get coffee from previously to this uses more natural c02 to reduce the caffeine in their decaf. I would agree traditionally decaf contains more chemicals. Why I am not too bothered about going back to coffee often. Have had two decafs over the last few months

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi 175T
    Can I ask where you get your beef rangdang recipe from – I’m trying to use a greater range of recipes so would love to try it.
    Jennie

• posted by 175Target
    on

Sure it’s in the fast 800 recipe book. Really easy and so tasty. 12.5g carbs 2.5 fibre 36 protein and 32 fat. So doesn’t hurt my carb budget too much either. 492cals per portion plus the cauli rice

• posted by 175Target
    on

That’s the one

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Thanks both
    Merry, you were right. I did BSD so have the BSD book and recipe book, got Clever Guts, and have Fast 800 on kindle but haven’t got the Fast 800 recipe book.
    I was just checking the above books but the recipe doesn’t appear to be in those, so thanks for this.
    Jennie xx

Edited: I’ve just noticed there are links to other Fast 800 recipes on that page also if anyone else is interested

• posted by 175Target
    on

Yes the ones on the dailymail are some of the best. I particularly love the berry compote

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Thanks for the recipe links look lovely

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am going to (re) join you all this September, I have stalled at my heavier weight (still in my size 12 jeans but a lot tighter now) since my birthday, with too many pressures and holidays over July and August. One week in since my totally coincidental September 1st start and an initial loss of just over half a stone. (Mostly water, probably). Weekdays are no alcohol, between 800 and 1000 calories, and low carb, weekends a bit more freedom, with a couple of glasses of wine on Saturday if desired. I am planning to do a full 8 weeks at 800 during October and November, in an attempt to get back down to the weight I achieved in 2017. Nice to see a good mix of old hands and new starters on the thread, as well.

• posted by SkiBunny
    on

Hi, I’m a little behind the eight ball but would like to join your SSS group please . I’ve tried doing Keto and other low carb diets before without long term success. I don’t think I ever managed to get into ketosis. I don’t think ketosis is the aim on the fast800 , am I right ? The Fast800 is what I’m aiming to achieve now as I try to knuckle down this month ! It’s finally spring in Australia and I’m looking forward to losing my weight and feeling more comfortable in the heat . I’d also like to feel able to go swimming at the beach without feeling so self conscious and therefore avoiding public displays of my body.
    I really love cooking ( and eating! ) for my family and friends and all the recipes in the books have been great so far. My family of 3 adults have been eating the same meals but with added carbs . I don’t like feeling deprived of anything so dessert is a challenge for me ….
    Looking forward to sharing this journey ,
    SkiBunny

on

Hi @skibunny ! I’m from Melbourne 🙂
    Mild ketosis is indeed one of the aim of the fast800.
    Im just back from the library with a lot of Keto/low carbs cookbook and they have nice dessert option although some includes sweeteners which I try to avoid.
    I did a chocolate cake last night that was delicious : dark chocolate, eggs, butter and a bit of cream. Not sure if it would fit within 800 calories though 🙈

• posted by SkiBunny
    on

Hi LouiseKangooroo
    I think you’d only be able to eat the dessert and nothing for the rest of the day 😂 but it does sound delicious!
    How can you tell if you’ve reached ketosis ? I think I read that it takes days to get there and then if you go over 20 g carbs you’re back to the start again 😱 I think that’s why I never made it , a small slip,up undid all previous work …..

• posted by Verano
    on

Well just had my first official weigh-in for September and I’ve disposed of 2lbs. Not a brilliant result but at least in the right direction. In week two my plan is to be more aware of calories as well as carbs.
    Hope everyone has had a good first week and that week 2 gets us all even closer to our goals.

• posted by Annach
    on

A positive start to September, a couple of kilos have fallen by the wayside, mostly water probably but that’s ok. Regarding Peppa Pig World, I brought a packed lunch last time I went. I ate nothing on-site, just drank a couple of coffees/water

on

Week 2 for SSS
    Well done Annach on losing a couple of kilos already- that’s awesome.

Verano- well done on losing 2lb in the first week. – a fantastic start. That is a great weight loss.
    I am going to fess up that I didn’t even get weighed this morning! I couldn’t face the scales! I’ve been seriously good but I can tell that I am still the same! I had a feeling that I would plateau for this week and possibly next! It’s the way my weight loss goes! I am still hoping to lose 4lb during September but might have to have a think about how to shake things up a bit. I used to weigh every day and these days I am “scared” to even look! How ridiculous! I know I am doing what I can: I might jump on tomorrow and have a peep! It’s so disappointing when the effort to reward ratio isn’t good.
    Today I had a hard boiled egg and two mini quorn sausages with lettuce and mayonnaise for lunch. Yoghurt and raspberries. For my evening meal I had two quorn fillets cooked in butter with mushrooms and cream! It was lovely! I have been drinking lots of water so hopefully I will flush out a pound or two this week.

Good to see you’ve joined in Mixnmatch- we have been travelling along together for a while now. You’re in good company! We are serious about being sensible in September.
    Looking forward to reading how everyone else has done this week.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi 175Target
    Re: Peppa Pig – I agree with Annach about perhaps taking your own lunch (hard boiled eggs, salad, leftover meat etc)
    Of the menu I would say the best pick is the Ploughman’s – but ask them for NO bread (if it’s on your plate it’s too tempting 😀 – and limit the amount of apple ). Or the Halloumi and Falafel – and skip eating the squash.
    Enjoy your day!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Well two days on and I have had a gain. I know all about fluctuations but still rake them to heart. I really wish I could stay away from the scales. But as you say Cathy week 3 has just begun …… onwards….

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all I am also feeling a bit blah! Today. It is funny as throughout the day I go between feeling nice and slim to feeling bloated and yuck! CC I am right there with you on the scale front and knowing I haven’t lost! Chin up hun and here’s to us getting there in the end❤️❤️

I have also kicked the cigarettes😱😱. I have gone cold turkey and I am treating the nicotine like carbs! I don’t need or want them and the little buggers that tell my brain I do will soon be gone😂. So I am now a non smoking slimmer version of myself😂🥳😱. Hope you all have a good day. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by 175Target
    on

hey all, quick first weigh in for September after the weekend and the challenges of the funday.

i had discarded 3lbs last week and glad to say as of this morning thats still the case.

hoping to discard 4-5lbs this week as we have flicked to lower carbs for this week.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

CONGRATULATIONS Birdy on taking the step to kick the cigarettes!!! 🎈🎈🎈🌼😊🐶🎈🎈🐦 Another step in your wonderful path through this WOE and WOL. You do like a challenge girl!! Taking on new foods, new eating and no ciggies!
    It will be hard with your workmate – but I guess she can only smoke on her breaks. Find something to distract you while she is lighting up – or send us a post to keep yourself busy. I know you can nail this as you have shown such perseverance.

• posted by Verano
    on

Birdy that’s wonderful!!!! You really couldn’t do anything better for your overall health. It wont be easy but just hold on and you will get through. I stopped over 20 years ago after several failed attempts. Its only when you decide to do it for yourself that you will be successful, and not when others nag or say you should. It has to be something you WANT for yourself. Best of luck …… you can do it ….you WILL do!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Merry and V, it is something I have been thinking about for a while and I kept saying when I hit target, when I hit target! Then something Wendy said to me just helped click it into place and I thought you kno what I am just gonna go for this!!

It is only the second day and I have my concerns! I seem to be getting hungrier, but I am hoping it is just my mind! I don’t usually until 1-2pm but I am hungry by twelve! I know this is completely normal as it real hunger and according to Tim Noakes this happens on keto?? Who knows. I know if I don’t eat buns and bread I will be fine! Also I will be fasting over my two nights at work.

Hope you all a good day . KOKO guys 💞🦜

• posted by Verano
    on

Birdy it’s not going to be easy. Nicotine is a drug and you will get some withdrawal symptoms but they go just like the sugar withdrawal symptoms went. My issue was missing something to ‘suck on’ so I used and inhilator and that worked for me, but I guess a dummy might have done the trick equally as well! I would say that you may feel hungrier and food will certainly taste better but maybe accept that initially your weight may stand still or even rise slightly even though your are in ketosis. You will be fine just try and put the whole thing in perspective and giving up cigarettes will benefit your health, and your wallet, far more than a couple of extra pounds, in the short term, will damage your health!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Cathy, you sound like me, I am very in tune with my body and I instinctively know if I’ve lost or gained! I know how disappointing it can be despite telling ourselves that we’re doing everything right, so I hope that you’re wrong! and if not, there is a long way to go for September yet xx
    Congrats, Birdy – that’s a big step but one of the best you can ever make. You can call me any time you feel like a smoke and I’ll distract you with Albert stories. You’ll be bored to sleep in no time.
    Hope everyone else is doing well for September, whatever your goals are 💕🦄😁

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Birdy great news about giving up the cigarettes – one of the best decisions you’ll ever make! I gave up cold turkey 29 years ago now and am so glad I did.
    Cathy, I know how you feel about the scales. I’m trying to just weigh once a week as I can have wild daily fluctuations of 1-2kg at times. So my weigh in day is Wednesday. I like Wednesday rather than Monday as if I’ve had any indulgences on the weekend I have a couple of days to redress 🙂
    Anyway this mornings weigh in shows I have lost 1.7kg since Monday 2 September so I’m happy with that. Especially since I was away on the weekend with my husband. I did eat sensibly (Teriyaki chicken and salad for dinner and no rice), but did have a few wines with dinner and some after dinner drinks.
    I’ve been trying some of the keto recipes on the Diet Doctor site – I made a Keto Cobb Salad for dinner yesterday and it’s also for lunch today. Basically lettuce, chicken, bacon, egg, avocado, tomato and blue cheese with a herby mayonnaise dressing. I enjoyed it – we are just in Spring here now so after a winter of soups it’s nice to have salad again 🙂
    Hope everyone else is doing well – 10 days down and 20 to go!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning All. Keep going, V, we just have to trundle along sometimes! I’ve just had a long weekend with 4 of my oldest friends over. Thankfully they were happy to eat my low carb meals but they did bring their own snacks like hummus and veggies, crisps, nuts etc, none of which appeal to me! We had brunches of scrambled eggs, baked mushrooms and my seed bread. Alcohol was consumed though! I was mindful! 5 weeks tomorrow I will be getting on that plane so I am all out now with no other ‘events’ on the horizon! Good work, Birdy, kicking the cigs. I kicked them 5 years ago by switching to vaping, but I feel almost ready to kick that now. Probably after my holiday. Hope everyone else is ok? We seem to be about to have a week and a half of an Indian summer with temps of 21C to look forward to here in the Midlands.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by 175Target
    on

Seriously Sensible September is turning into Seriously Stressful September. had a good start last week with a 3lbs discard and this week have dropped the carbs even lower and yet the scales haven’t moved! i am still 14st 4lbs. have been sticking to the 800cals a day, my macros are solid. WTF?

i really want to be under 14 stone by the 19th which i thought given the success last week was in the bag!

cheers
    grumpy and discouraged

Please log in or register to post a reply.