Seriously Sensible September

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Final weigh day of September tomorrow everyone. I will weigh myself in the morning and face the music. I am sadly expecting an overall gain for September! September wasn’t a weight loss success for me. The dreaded plateau followed by a nasty viral illness followed by “what the hell”, life is too short ………
    I have just finished reading a book called Shine – rediscovering your energy, happiness and purpose as I have been feeling quite down over the last few months. I have taken on board some of the advice and tips from the book and so am dusting myself down and am going to move forwards with a more positive approach to how I live and enjoy my life. I’ve been successful on BSD before so I can do it again!
    Well done to everyone who had a successful September. Some amazing achievements! Your hard work and effort has paid off and I am so happy for your. If, however , you didn’t have success in September, don’t give up! Nobody can do this for us, this is something we have to do for ourselves. I am feeling a renewed optimism for October and I hope there will be a bunch of us moving forward together supporting each other and offering tips and encouragement along the way.

Keep plodding everyone. Back to it from Tuesday! Does anyone have any October inspiration?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

So glad to read you are feeling more positive Cathy 🙂
    I had been quite sensible in September with a loss of over 2kg BUT I had a weeks leave last week – it was my wedding anniversary and then my birthday – and I’m afraid I’ve undone some of my good work! I next weigh in on Wednesday so I guess I have a couple of days to try and redress!
    As for titles how about
    – Optimistic October
    – October opportunity
    – Overwhelmingly Optimistic October (or Outrageously)
    I’m sure someone will come up with something clever 🙂
    For me personally it’s going to be Sober October as I know wine is my undoing! Not so much the calories in the wine but the associated ones where I eat the wrong things once under the influence 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi everyone yes final weigh in for me today! I have gained at least 5lbs! CC I know what you mean about it not being the best but we are here and we are doing it. I have to look at the non smoking for this month instead😂. It is expected that I would put weight on as I have up smoking, but I have been naughty and given in to what present as sugar cravings but are actually the nicotine ones😡😡😡. I have been looking at them more as carb cravings and that has had me saying no as well! It will not get me and I never knew just how nasty nicotine played!! I am getting there now and I have a goal for the next month!! I am off to a Army Ball with my OH on the 1st of November so I need to get a new posh frock! I think optimistic October would be a good title.

We are all amazing in that we KOKO so let’s not be too hard on ourselves ❤️❤️❤️ I for one am going to do my best. Water is my best friend again and carbs can go and do one, along with that nasty nicotine!!

Hi my name is Birdy and I am an ex smoker, it has been 21 days since my last cigarette 🚬 😂😂.

Hope everyone has a good day. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi yes just one day of the month left!
    Birdy I think you are doing brilliantly to only put on 5lbs when you have given up smoking. That’s a real achievement.
    I have lost a very measly 1/2 lb this month! I can only say that I was anything but ‘serious ‘ during September. But looking on the brighter side at least being accountable has stopped me from gaining!
    So October is almost here and I will join the new thread with the aim of maintaining as I know this is going to be a month of celebrations for me. No gain will be marvellous.
    Hope everyone has had a good September reaching goals and Cathy don’t fret …. new day, new month just around the corner!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Well done Birdy on your progress this month. – Changing such a negative habit as smoking is so important to your health that deserve a large pat on the back.

I have had an interesting month. – A negative period from the point of view of the scales, I am ending the month weighing more than when I started, but a big step forward in confidence on maintenance. –
    I had a week of time with my nephew, with the problems of trying to combine catering for a high carb eater with my own way of eating. I managed to get a reasonable balance I think.
    Hay making turned into a saga, with all three vehicles (daily 4×4, classic landrover, and quad bike breaking down) and 4 different arrangements for someone to help with the work of carrying and stacking the bales failing. So the upshot was I ended up doing most of the work on my own. Getting nearly 300 bales either into the barn and stacked or under cover by building a stack on pallets in a field under a tarp on my own. the majority of which was done using a quad bike moving two at a time. –
    Much of which was done in a fasted state. (A couple of litres of soda water and a few handfuls of blackberrys picked when having a break and taking the dogs for a walk). What really surprised me was at the end of each day I wasn’t that hungry, I didn’t feel like eating. 300 bales doesn’t sound that much, but I promise you they are generous bales at the limit of my ability to lift them. Not bad for someone who got a letter from a pension company that she will be old enough to start drawing on a pension next year.
    I had a group staying in the holiday let (a hen party) that left lots of carby food just at the wrong time. – Every day car off the road, empty pantry and heavy rain so trapped in the house. – I did discover that I can return to ketosis much more quickly and easily after stepping off the waggon. So am counting that as another positive.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi CC,
    I like your idea of Optimistic October. – Its good to hear that you are not letting your progress on the scales this month get you down and that you have found some useful tips in the book you have been reading them. Do you think any of them would be worth sharing on the forum?

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I am going to set up our new October thread later on. SueBlue had some great suggestions so I will use Optimistic in October as our title.
    I am optimistic that I can knuckle down from tomorrow and get myself on track for a decent weight loss. That velvet jumpsuit of mine is going to look like a dogs dinner If I don’t shed 14 lb before 14th December, Therefore, my Christmas countdown starts from 1st October, I need to be focused and believe in myself.
    JGwen – well done on your feelings of confidence going forward- that is brilliant- here are a couple of tips I took from the book I read called Shine
    Don’t half-ass anything- whatever you do, always use your full ass, It takes effort to be your best self.
    Comparing yourself to others is just plain ungrateful, You have a body, it was given to you. You didn’t ask for it, it’s a gift so to all of a sudden look at someone else’s body and wish you had what they’ve got is rude to your own body. (I am always comparing myself to others and that is going to stop),

3.4 lbs on this month. I ended August at 147.4 and ended September at 150.8!

Here’s to optimistic October. I will optimistically achieve 145 lb by end of October.

Birdy- amazing achievement i September quit smoking- well done! Result!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

I’m please to report a total loss of 3.8kg / 8lbs this month for me. Nearly made my stretch target! 🤗
    I’ll see you in the new thread where I’ll tackle a boxy recomposition challenge. I have lost enough weight I now need to build muscle mass.

• posted by heiding
    on

Thank you all for inspiring me for my first month on the BSD program – I’ve gotten rid of 3.8kgs which is a very big – not to mention surprising – success for me. Being accountable makes all the difference.
    Congratulations to all, especially Birdy for getting off the smokaholic train. I calculated that I’ve not spent $9232 since I stopped last May!! That is based on three packets a week at $42 per packet, although they are now $47 at my local shops (and includes other people nicking them). I recommend adding this element to your success and coming up with a fabulous reward for each milestone. One of my friends works in ASIC helping provide training for young (and older) people with their personal financial management and wants to interview me on this.
    See everyone in the October threads!

• posted by heiding
    on

Hey LouiseKanga – I missed your post, looks like we lost the same amount!
    I too need to re-build muscle. I went back to the gym and did pilates yesterday. I’m also going to do the one with a machine on Friday, a friend gave me a two lesson free pass. I think its called reformer pilates. I will also do bodypump and some other classes. Good luck with it!

on

@heiding how many, we did lose the same amount 🤗 well done, it’s a solid result and you should be proud.
    You know what’s funnier? I’m just leaving my 7am réformer Pilates class 🤣 I love reformer, it’s the best way to build core muscles IMO
    I’ve done classes regularly and can feel tangible results. Hope you enjoy it.
    I’ve entered an 8 week HIIT challenge so I’ll focus on that for next 2 months

• posted by heiding
    on

Ah – that is hilarious Louise !! I’ll just keep following you haha! I have done one HIIT class at my gym and it was heinous! I’m sure it will get better after I’ve improved my core with reformer :). Feel free to let me know what else is in my future haha

on

I’ve heard HIIT was pretty hard – but that was after i signed up 🤣
    So no I just have to suck it up and give it my best shot 🙈

• posted by LemmyLem
    on

It’s so wonderful to see shared successes and helping those that had a difficult month here. Kicking cigarettes is an amazing achievement so well done on that! I lost 3.7kg in September like a few others and am delighted to report I can now fit in clothes I haven’t worn for 3 years! I’m away on a Pilates retreat in October so it’s wonderful to fit in dresses I love again. I’ve been doing reformer Pilates for a year and I promise if you stick at it you will see and feel a difference. I’ve never been one for classes but love this. Combined with running 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week has helped my weight loss challenge. I’ll join the October group but don’t expect to lose much as all be indulging a bit while on the retreat! Good luck everyone. Keep on keeping on xx

• posted by 175Target
    on

September got the best of me. Can’t say I was able to stick to the diet for the last couple of weeks. Balanced out the treats with good stunts overall kept to the 3lbs I lost early on and didn’t manage anything else. Let’s hope Oct is better.

• posted by heiding
    on

@louisekangooroo I think HIIT is really good and has great results (I did it with a trainer regularly a few years ago). My friend hurt her shoulder though, and it was because they didn’t really give any instructions before we started on the fast moving from one station thing to another. The weights for shoulder raises were really heavy. Anyhoo – she gave the gym some feedback suggesting they spend some time on safety before the class starts. Something to make sure they do at yours!

Please log in or register to post a reply.