Seriously Sensible September

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

175target
    Sorry to read your frustrated post. It’s so disappointing isn’t it when we hit a plateau despite sticking to what we know works. I am having good days and today had a bad day because I went to ikea and had vegetable meatballs and chips. I enjoyed it! I haven’t been on the scales – part of me doesn’t want to know because I can tell I am not losing any weight.

One thing I have learnt doing BSD for over three years is that we can never predict what our weight loss pattern will be. I have a tendency to lose 1lb a week for a couple of weeks and then plateau. Weight loss isn’t linear and to be honest I have never understood the science of how we actually lose weight. Another thing i have learnt is that we have to keep going as frustrating as it is to work hard for little reward. I really can empathise with how you are feeling tonight. Some of us really do struggle to lose our weight. There are a lot of slow losers on this thread 175target so you are amongst people who know just how hard it is and how disappointed you are feeling.

Ride the storm and before you know it you will be under 14 stone! I am going to brave the scales on Monday and that will be two weeks since I have weighed myself. I really do need to start facing the disappointment!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Amen Cathy xxx

• posted by 175Target
    on

Thanks cc def made me feel better about it.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy Friday everyone! I am so behind with the forums.
    Kafin – thanks for the tabbouleh recipe, I’ve just printed it off as need something different for this weekend and for lunches next week. Switching the protein to chicken or salmon Instead of halloumi.
    175Target – keep plugging away, you will get there! How did your choices go at PPW in the end?
    Hello to everyone else, hope you are all doing ok? I’m still plodding along! 🙂 Just glad it is Friday and 2 whole days without plans! My garden is calling to me so I shall be outside in this fine September sunshine!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by 175Target
    on

Kazz PPW is next week. Eek so will let you know how it goes.

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Keep going 175target
    You will see positive results
    This way of eating definitely works when consistent.
    I know how frustrating plateaus bare I am currently feeling frustrated by my lack of progress even though I am sticking to calories 20g carbs and 16 hours fasting sometimes even more than that.
    Don’t really know what else I can do to keep seeing results but I know if I stick to this will eventually lose. I actually gained 2 lbs not sure why?
    Hormones? Having too much dairy?
    Will experiment see if anything makes a difference.
    I need to keep reminding myself keep going

• posted by SueBlue
    on

175T I just wanted to say I hear you 🙂 I lose weight really slowly – it took me 10 months to lose 11kg in 2017. However one thing I try to do is focus on the Non scale victories (NSVs) aling the way. For me that is less inflammation and joint pain. Also I went to my doctor for routine blood test results on the weekend and I was so pleased to see that my total cholesterol has dropped from 7.1 to 4.9 – this is despite eating butter, cream, eggs and cheese 🙂
    Another thing I found helpful was to take measurements. I used to do this at least once a month. Sometimes I’d have no loss to speak of on the scales but I’d lost a few more inches.
    Lastly look up the”whoosh effect” –
    From what I’ve read the jury is still out on this (scientifically speaking) but I found the explanation useful and certainly is what I seemed to experience.
    The main thing is to keep going – remember the tortoise and the hare 🙂

on

Braved the scales this morning…. 4lb ON! So disappointing! More of a seriously shocking September for me. I am seriously wondering if I have messed up my metabolism. I eat considerably less than I used to, I eat low carb, am strict vegetarian. Have I got used to low carb,low calorie? This is when I get fed up! My body was telling me to have cheese on toast yesterday but I didn’t! Back to the drawing board.

• posted by Verano
    on

Cathy I did have the cheese and toast yesterday! I enjoyed it. I don’t feel guilty, it’s just food and occasionally I think it does you good to have and enjoy something you really fancy.
    I was reading somewhere very recently that Jason Fung, I think, advocates mixing up TRE doing 16:,8 then maybe 24hrs and back to 12:12 etc. So maybe you do need to shake things up a bit. Sorry I can’t give you the reference.
    All I can say is it’s Monday start of a new week so put last week behind you and maybe mix things up a bit over the next few days.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi guys,
    My time away from the forum is going to be shorter than I envisaged. In a little over a week my nephew went from not sleeping, hyperactive and making plans to call this home, to spending 3 days in his bedroom then loading his car up and heading home without even knowing why he felt he should go home. – Time to count my blessings, how hard it must be to be in his shoes.
    I was feeling that I wanted to head down to the gym last week but felt that I couldn’t, so I am looking forward to fitting in a few trips to the gym this week.

• posted by heiding
    on

Hello – I’d like to join in if that’s okay? I started on Monday 2 September, so far I’ve lost about 1kg, but its been 3 kgs since June, when I was weighed at the dr. Although, to be honest I’ve not weighed myself since Saturday as I went a bit off track on the weekend. I’m generally sticking quite well to 800 a day, except the carbs are around 40-50 and I’ve read they should be more around 20-30? I’m going to have to do a lot more research to figure that out. My chronometer reading says just the blueberries I have with yoghurt account for that much!
    I’d like to lose 10 kgs over all, and particularly before 11 November when I’m expecting a visitor to stay with me for a few weeks. I was about 14 kgs lighter when we first met a few years ago!
    I gave up smoking last year which had a impact on my weight – totally worth it! I also eat and drink way too much!!
    I’m new to the forum although I have read quite a bit, finding it very helpful. I’m an Aussie and live in Canberra 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good morning all I am also still here but have been a little down😢. Not to the point of any significance but enough for me to not have the energy to post. It is the nicotine monster!!😂. Although it is a week and the cravings go as quick as they come, my body is still going through withdrawal so of course that is causing me mild depression. I have not been moody but I have easily lost my temper and snapped at my family😱. My son said yesterday “mum I don’t care if you snap and shout, I am just happy you don’t smoke anymore”. 💖❤️ Such a sweet boy.

JGwen it must be so hard for your nephew with his conditions. My son is trying the keto way and eating clean with me as it is supposed to help calm an ADHD brain. We are only on week one and he is off of his meds at the moment. He has really become aware of himself and he doesn’t like the side effects of his medicine. We shall see how badly it effects his school work though and his concentration as to wether he can stay off. He needs an education.

Cathy I have stalled too! I have just read that link that V posted and I have realised I am doing at least two of the things they say go towards a stall or weight gain😱😂. So for me I will cut down on my coffee and cream as they have gone from two or three a day to six!! Some of that is because I am replacing the cigarettes 🚬 😂. The other one is my nut intake! It is so easy to eat a whole bag of pistachios and not even realise it! I am also peri menopausal so that won’t help! But I am going to mix up my IF and cut nuts, cream and protein down. Let’s keep each other going hun and see exactly what is effecting us both. Exploration and experiment is the way to go. I knew I would probably gain by stopping smoking but I have really tried not to over eat! We can do this Cathy and it doesn’t matter how long it takes, we are giving out bodies the best chance by trying.❤️

I hope everyone else is good and I will post more from now on. Love and hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by heiding
    on

Hello Birdy76 – I feel for you re giving up smoking. Not to butt in, (wait, very bad pun not intended!) I just thought I’d share an idea a good friend (and the heaviest smoker I’ve ever seen – from about 15 to 45 years old) gave me some great ideas when I stopped smoking last year – she said she would draw in a very fast intake of breath – really exaggerated, then hold it for a slow four seconds, then slowly exhale. It gives you a bit of a head rush, just like a cigarette. Then when you breathe out you think about how good it is to have breathed in fresh air. That really helped me – and after decades of smoking on and off – mostly on – I haven’t wanted another at all since I stopped in May last year. Good luck !

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Welcome Heiding 🌺
    There are a few Australians here so come on in!
    You have got off to a really good start. I’m not sure what a chronometer is😀 -but it is worth tracking your foods with an App and probably weighing them for the first few weeks at least. I use Easy Diet Diary app which has most Australian foods and brands in it. I highlight the carbs so I can keep track of them. We all differ as to how low carb eating effects us. Many have found that around 20g is a good level if you want to loose weight. But some find 30-50 works for them.
    Lots of helpful advice here so ask any questions! It is a slow and steady pace so try not to focus too much on Nov 11. Birdy76 has had wonderful results so take a look at her posts.
    Merry from Melbourne

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hello heiding and welcome to the forum. Please do join in as the more the merrier.
    I don’t mind at all with the advice on the non smoking. I tried it and I see what you mean😂❤️. Thank you.

I weighed myself this morning and I have gained 7lbs!!! I am hoping it is a lot of fluid!!

Anyway heiding good luck with your journey and don’t hesitate on any questions you may have.

Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Annach
    on

Hello all,
    I blame the collective weight gain on the full moon. I had a two day nut binge. I think the effects on my digestive system were enough to hit the pause button. I have also been using too much cream in coffee. It’s so delicious. If I go back to Friday weight I lost a little, today, not so much 😳😁

on

Verano- thank you for posting the link, it made perfect sense to me. I am post menopausal and definitely will aim to mix things up a bit. I fear my body has adapted to the new way of eating and I guarantee at am not over eating just need to mix things up so my body has a shock! I also wonder if I need to eat a bit more.

I’ve not felt well since Thursday and my doctor thinks I may have either shingles or an arthritic flare up. I should develop a rash over the next few days if it is shingles. I am taking things easy and I need to have a think about being kind to myself for a few days and then focus on the way forward when I feel better.

Interesting about the full moon theory Annach- could be some truth in it too! There are a few of us with gains!

Birdy – well done on giving up smoking. I feel lucky never to have smoked, I know how hard it is and also how pleasurable it must be but you’ve done it. You are a very strong person. You’ll soon have the extra pounds off.

Don’t think there will be any loss for me this month sadly. I will have to work hard to lose what I’ve gained in two weeks! So disappointing!

• posted by heiding
    on

Thank you Merry and Birdy for the lovely welcome and advice – I really appreciate it!
    Cronometer is one of those calorie carb and fat counting diet apps, MerryMelba. It doesn’t have much Australian stuff in it, so I will check out the one you recommended – I have lots to learn! I am enjoying it though, thinking about nice food to make and feeling like I’m doing something so positive for myself. I’ve neglected myself a bit lately. I’m enjoying cooking again, and testing out some new things from the cookbook. Not drinking wine for the past couple of weeks (first time in many years). I agree – slow and steady will win the race. I took courage from your welcomes and just weighed myself for the first time since saturday, and I lost .5kg! I have new scales that seem slightly dodgy, but what the heck.

I hope the seven pounds is just some weird mistake, Birdy!

have a great day all

• posted by LemmyLem
    on

Hello everyone. I’m a newbie on here. It’s great to see so many success stories and tip sharing. I’m doing sensible September so this thread is perfect for me. Having over indulged for far too long I’ve always lost a few pounds in between doing low carb eating. I used to be able to maintain 10st 7 to 10st 10lb but I’ve been between 11st7 and 12st 2lb for the past 2-3 years. I’m 50 next year and decided to join my family doing short runs and park runs. Having a dog makes it easier and I’ve really enjoyed my 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week. I even kept it up while on holiday and was shocked to have only gained 3lb all summer despite lots of alcohol and carb eating! I’ve been doing Pilates for a year and that’s helped too. With a holiday with 10 other ladies looming mid October I had to do something more. So September has been no carbs. No alcohol (haven’t gone 2 weeks without for a long long time!). Healthy snacks. And I’m now 11st 3lb. So being 10st something feels achievable by the holiday. I tried on dresses tonight that look great and haven’t been worn in 3 years so it’s given me a boost to keep going. To have the number 10 rather then 11 at the start of my weight will feel such an achievement. And I’ll no longer be in the overweight section of the BMI chart. I wanted to write this down because I want to be able to remember how it feels to feel great in your clothes. I’ve still got about 10lb to lose but I don’t feel a failure any more. Keep on keeping on everyone 👍👍👍

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi all – and welcome LemmyLem. Well done on an alcohol free couple of weeks. 🐥🌻 I know that a drink or 2 just melts my resolve – so keeping away from it when I am trying to balance food macros is a good idea!
    Hey Birdy – that little extra must be water weight! JGwen always reminds us that a Pound is 3500 calories – so that would have been a “Hulk” of a week – and you know that it wasn’t. So you’ll be waving bye-bye to them v.soon!
    Hi to any others who are reading from the sidelines 😊🌼🌺

• posted by LemmyLem
    on

Hi MerryMelba and thank you for the welcome. I totally agree that alcohol melts resolve. I know it has been my problem the past few years. A glass of wine and I’m in the snacks. I can have eaten perfectly all day then it all goes pear shaped after a glass of wine or two in the evening. I do like to snack so I do have a daily treat of a piece of 70% dark chocolate, Emily’s Crunchy red dried apple or green veg mix (65calories) , Itsu seaweed snack (only 22 calories!) or a few nuts. I can’t avoid the odd snack so this is my way of doing it well. To jazz up a salad Tesco do a selection of deli bits on 3 for 2. I love the feta with lemon which has pieces of lemon rind and olive oil and is delicious. Also feta filled mini peppers and mixed olives packs. Keeping those by me helps avoid bread at lunch time. Celery with some soft goats cheese or pate spread inside. Lots of little hints to help each other reduce the carb but still love our food. I don’t count carbs but keep away from the starchy stuff and it keeps me on track. Happy Tuesday everyone 👍

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Birdy You are doing so well in beating the nicotine monster! Heiding has already given you a really good tip. One that worked for me was getting sponsorship in aid of a cancer charity. I asked all my colleagues to sponsor me for the first month. When I realised I would raise nearly 1000 pounds for charity, I felt really obliged to stick it out. And once the first month was under the belt, well the rest is history. Why not seek some sponsors until say end October? It’s a great motivator!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all and welcome Lemmy❤️ You have been doing so so well already💖 and I am sure with posting here and all us guys backing you as we do each other, your target will be met and your girly holiday will be awesome in every way hun😍😉.

I have a set back but I am positive I will again be in the 13 stone bracket. I am fighting with a few things and one of them is my partner!!! He so doesn’t want me to lose anymore weight and he is acting like a spoilt little brat!!😂😂. Anyhow my body, my health and I am determined to get to my 12 stone 9 target! I am still in the obese category and I don’t like it, he said I am not going to die from being 14 stone!! But what does he know!! I am kicking the toxic fags and sugar and he needs to realise that I am on a health mission!! 😂😍😱🥳🥳

Caron thank you for your great idea and I will certainly look into it, I am already trying to raise money for my sons rugby club, so it may have to wait as I don’t wanna be too pushy with my already generous friends and family❤️❤️

I have easy days and not so easy days, but it is all carbs in my eyes😂. Carb monsters in my gut bacteria were killed off and they are the ones that shout at us, just like the nicotine receptors and they can go do one too! The longer I ignore them the weaker they get and then eventually disappear 😃😅. Lemmy we are here for whatever you need hun.

There is no place I would rather be than on this forum with my sisters (brothers) in arms tackling each day and discarding as and when! Knowing we are helping our bodies live longer is fabulous. Have a great day y’all❤️ Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

All strength to you Birdy!🐥🧘‍♂️🤸‍♀️🥇💪🏻
    It’s your health and your body. ⭐️

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you merry🌺🌹💐🌸

• posted by heiding
    on

Yes, you will do it, Birdy – its a shame your partner isn’t quite on board yet, I hope he soon realises. Does he smoke and not have the best eating habits? Maybe that’s upsetting him a bit. Its so silly, but one of my concerns about stopping the darts was that certain people would be disappointed in me. I have some friends who never smoke except when they were with me (well, so they said) and of course they ‘borrowed’ my cigarettes whenever we went out. I would actually buy a spare packet for them in anticipation – imagine, I spent an extra $40 just so they could smoke, or more honestly, so I had someone to smoke with! So one of them was pretty upset as she felt she had lost her one escape from an overwrought home life. I actually felt guilty. Then I realised it was about me, no one else. Other proper friends were proud of me and supportive (as was she eventually). I went on a holiday last year with a smoking friend to a place where you can smoke all over the place. My best friend’s husband, also a dear friend, looked at me in the eyes and said emphatically ‘no darts on holiday’. I kept thinking of that and didn’t have one. You can absolutely kick that garbage and I can’t tell you how amazing you will feel! Its a freedom like no other and you deserve it.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone

Travelling home today after 10 days away. I’ve been following posts as best I can. A big well done to all with losses and/or NSVs. And sharing the frustration of those who have stalled or gained for any reason.

The good news is that we still have a third of September to go so let’s keep at it!

I’m home alone next week and am going for a complete reboot. Very long story but I need to do some seriously sensible nutritional planning. Blood tests show I still have high cholesterol. We’ve discussed this before on here – and I was interested to see your success here SueBlue, well done! – but because of hereditary factors the doctor wants me to go on statins. In parallel I also want to review my diet: I’m pescatarian and often eat vegetarian food but tend to use lots of cheese/eggs/nuts etc – which you are recommended to limit if you have cholesterol issues (and I remember Wendleg posted some helpful links about that some time ago).

Added to this (told you it was a long story!) I’m also on other drugs which are making my hair and nails thin and weak – so either need to make sure I’m getting enough vitamin b and biotin in my diet or start taking supplements.

So this week I need to do some proper nutritious meal planning that ticks all the above boxes and is BSD friendly too!

I plan not to weigh myself until the end of the month and see if I’ve managed to get back in maintenance by then: I suspect some weight has crept back on over the last couple of weeks. Having said that, I’m a complete scales junkie so I can’t see me lasting that long 🙂

Good luck everyone- hope you have a fantastic and successful weekend X

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all and morning Dreamscometrue, I am no doctor or expert but I have been reading Dr Bosworth’s book and watching all I can on keto and 800 as I was concerned about cholesterol. There are two films that are really interesting that broach cholesterol and heart disease which are hereditary and the guy stopped the gene he got from his father that would cause him a heart attack. You can have cholesterol and it can be perfectly safe, there are two different types HDL and LDL now you probably already know this but you can ask your doctor to test to see which of the two molecules are higher within you blood, if it is the HDL then it is perfectly safe as it is proactive in helping your body and we get it from all our good fats, it is a large molecule, but if it is LDL then it is not good and then you have to do something about it. They small molecules and they clog up in out arteries. Ok the films are free if you are a member of Dietdoctor, you can join free for a month and cancel anytime. They are both worth watching as when you get a cholesterol test they don’t always check which is the heightened of the two, your doctor will see you have high cholesterol and automatically put you on drugs! Now I don’t know if your doctor has done that but it is worth asking which of the two are high. Don’t let them fob you off either as you are entitled to know. Sorry forgot to say the films titles they are called cereal killers and cereal killers 2.

Now like I said I am no expert but I would go back to your doctor and see if you can find out. But watch the films as they really are an eye opener and statins are not good and if you can avoid them it would be awesome! Doctors do love to give us drugs as when they train as doctors nutrition is a very very small part of their training and it is almost brushed over like an after thought. Their training also comes from a man who said that all fat is bad and we should eat low fat and carbs!!!!🤬🤬. The films have all this in them too.

It is your body and you do have a say in what goes in It and if you don’t need the statins why take them. I have taken my son off of all his ADHD meds and he is on keto and I have seen small but remarkable results already!❤️❤️ It truly soothes a hyper brain🤪😍.

Ok I will get off of my soap box now. Please watch the films, you will be glad you did. Birdy 💞🦜

on

Hi everyone and hope all is well – it’s gone very quiet on here! Cathy how are you doing? Are you feeling any better?

Birdy thank you so much for your helpful reply, and the links. The doctor did do separate cholesterol measurements and it is indeed the bad cholesterol they are concerned about, and it has been increasing for some time. As I’m just back from being away I will go and get a print out of my full results this week then decide where to go from here! I hope that you are ok? Sounds like you have various battles on your hands at the moment and I hope you’re managing to pull through.

I have managed to avoid the temptation to weigh myself since being home. It probably helps that one of the cats had peed on the scales, so that’s rather a disincentive! Maybe they were trying to help …..

Go well everyone and let’s keep cheering each other on X

• posted by LemmyLem
    on

Hi everyone. Yes we need to cheer each other on. We all have different reasons for shedding the pounds and the difficulties we face although often similar can also be very different. We will all have bad days which can be demotivating but we need to put that behind us and get back the next day.

I’ve been on and off for years but September has been a fresh start and 3 weeks in the sugar cravings have stopped which makes sticking with it so much easier. I’ve swapped alcohol with nice flavoured low sugar drinks as I need something nice in the evening. Tesco do finest drinks that are about 40 calories a glass without sweeteners (I loathe sweeteners). Also J2O do an apple and watermelon spritz for the same calories. These help me keep on track because alcohol always made me ruin a good food day with naughty snacking.

It’s good to share tips. Let’s all keep going. We all agree we feel so much better sugar free and with clothes fitting us! I’ve shed over a stone for the first time in years. Keep on keeping on everyone 😉

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

How many days left in SSS??

I went back to check on my goals for the month and my stretch goal – which at the time felt doable – is far from happening 😅
    I seem to have relaxed my WOE so much that I found the recipe to maintenance. I’m glad to know it but I’m not there yet so need to refocus.

Luckily my hubby and kids are away fro THREE weeks which means no cooking for anyone and it I’ve made really good progress in the past week.
    I’m hoping to make a difference while they’re away 😊

on

Seriously Sensible September has turned out to be stayed the same September (and more)!!!
    I have had last week off work sick and have felt absolutely shocking. Was back today but left early due to pain and exhaustion, Yesterday was my 35th wedding anniversary and we went to our favourite vegetarian restaurant and I mindfully ate everything! I felt so full. My husband commented “that’s called eating”. I weighed myself this morning and was up to 151 lbs a long way off my target of 133lb! I started September at 147! It would have been the three roast potatoes and the bread and butter pudding! I really enjoyed what I ate! . Today I had egg salad and yoghurt and I haven’t given up this way of eating at all. I will be back in the driving seat when I feel well again.

DCT lovely to see you are back from your holiday, would love to know how you enjoyed Ragdale. It’s expensive but it’s lovely! Did you brave the scales this morning? I’ve got to get myself back in the right frame of mind and hopefully when I feel better my resolve will return. I’ve been good today and I really don’t want to put on any more weight as my clothes are getting tight and I haven’t got any bigger sizes.
    September has flown by and I have one more weigh in before September is out but I fear I will end September with a gain. I am not going to do a emergency fast because I am still not feeling well so I will draw a line under September on Monday and look forward to a more Organised October?
    How is everyone else doing?. I really feel like I’ve let the side down. I don’t know what went wrong as I was doing so well in August, I knew I would plateau for two weeks and then it all went horribly wrong again!
    Let’s see what we can do In the next 7 days everyone?

• posted by Verano
    on

Cathy I think a few of us have been less than ‘serious ‘ in September. I think that when we have been following this WOE for a long time it becomes more and more difficult to ‘go back’ to the early days when we were so vigilant. For me, I’ve decided on a goal, but not a timeframe, and my plan is to just ‘relax ‘, eat well but mindfully and LIVE! I find that I’m becoming so obsessed with food, BSD and weight that I’m not actually enjoying the ‘here and now’.
    I no longer crave carbs or sugar and I eat pretty well just too much of the good stuff. So for me, the way forward is just to be ‘mindful’. That’s my plan for the coming months. If I don’t lose pounds so be it, as long as my BS is stable that’s success, weight loss is really just a bonus!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well said Verano 🙂
    I was watching a segment on tv on the weekend about diets and calorie restriction and the nutritionist was saying how in her experience diets that recommend 1200 calories per day were too restrictive and hard to stick to in the long term and she was recommending 1400-1500 calorie intake. I thought wow if 1200 isn’t enough what about 800 calories!
    But of course you 800 calorie intake is only meant to be short term, 8 or 12’weeks, or a couple of days a week as fast days.

Cathy, sorry to hear you have been unwell and are struggling. Please don’t feel you’ve let
    the side down! We’ve all been there… some of us repeatedly! I think it’s sensible to wait until you feel better before trying again, just focus on feeling better x

Dreams Come True – further to my post about cholesterol, I should mention that I am taking statins and have done so for about 7 years now. High cholesterol runs in my family,
    mine was high years ago when I was slim. My doctor explained that by going on statins and blood pressure medication I would lower my risk of heart disease. This was especially important as I already have inflammatory arthritis which puts me at a higher risk for heart disease. I’m on a low dose for both medications.

September hasn’t been too bad for me. I’ve lost 2.4kgs so far this month. I realised that if I could just lose an average of 100g per day (or 700g a week) I could get close to my goal weight by March next year, so I’ll be around for a few more challenges yet!

Good luck everyone, there’s a week of September left so still time for some more losses 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning, all. Yes, it seems to be a bit of a battle just not having too much of the good stuff these days for me also. But I could never go back to how I ate before so even if things are very slow, we just keep plodding along! I’ve got clothes that are just a size too big in the wardrobe that I’d like to wear rather than the same 5 things that fit so I must step it up a bit. Cathy, you have so not let the side down! LemmyLem, yes, we do need to cheer ourselves on! Verano, yes, we do still have to enjoy life and summer is always the he most challenging time with holidays. I always used to say that I would embrace winter and emerge like a butterfly from a chrysalis in Spring! That still applies to me so I will shift my mindset to that rather than focusing on feeling blue that summer is over!
    Have a good day, everyone!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by 175Target
    on

September check in.

Had the last week off for my daughters second birthday so there was lots of less than healthy food options kicking around. Happy to say while I haven’t discarded any more than at the end of week 2 I survived last week without gaining back.

What I learnt was that I didn’t just fall back into my old way of eating.

Most noticeably around portion sizes which is great, to the point that children’s portion size was plenty. Which makes it entirely clear why we have a childhood obesity problem in the U.K.

Was able to have a treat and not go nuts.

Didn’t drink enough water.

Did snack on nuts and need to cut this out as it didn’t satisfy my palette and was probably due to not drinking enough.

I don’t have diabetes or pre diabetes but Had a load of blood work done at the start of the week off. Had previously had a few elevated readings that I wasn’t sure what was driving them which was part of the motivation for getting on top of my health. Happy to say that all four reading have moved back into the normal range quite comfortably.

So September so far is ok. Want to discard these 5lbs to get under 14st and they are being stubborn still.

on

Well done 175Target! I’m so glad that you’ve had a positive week after your earlier frustrations. One of the key things is that even though you haven’t lost any more, you have maintained and have definitely moved forward simply by not falling back into bad habits. That’s great! It does take time to change habits but you’re obviously going in the right direction and I hope that you start seeing those 5lb on their way very soon.

Cathy I loved Ragdale Hall! Would definitely like to go again. This time was just a 2 day taster break with my daughter but we both loved it. I really liked the way they nailed the combination of a relaxing country house hotel with the fab pool and spa facilities – plus such a wide range of treatments. And the food is wonderful too. I’ve started saving already for next time 🙂

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better but take things easy and eat what your body needs. As both Verano and SueBlue have already said, we can’t be on 800 all the time: the main thing is to be mindful and make the best choices that we can for the circumstances we are in. So be kind to yourself and get healed up then keep on keeping on!

SueBlue thanks for the additional info on your cholesterol experiences too. I’m glad you are doing well. Like you, I will be on this thread and its follow ups for some while longer. A couple of pounds went back on my recent holiday. Whilst I only have around 9-10lb still to lose it’s really hard going – they come off then go back on again, though the settled weight I go back to is gradually moving lower. I’m away again for the first part of October but will join in on my return. I’d be happy to set up and host in November as I’m around then for the whole month.

Hang in there everyone else and lets hope we can all be sensible for the remaining 6 days of September!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Well I’ve hit my first goal for SSS, very happy! And with one week left I might even be able to make a good dent towards my stretch and ultimate goal :
    61kgs / 134 lbs!
    Can you tell I’m excited with all these exclamation marks?!! 🤣🤣
    Let’s KoKo

• posted by LemmyLem
    on

It’s great to see some successes with SS. I’m am so happy today because I track my weight on Fitbit and this morning it said I was normal BMI rather than overweight for the first time in 3 years!!!!! HHHAAAPPPPYYYY!!! I now am 10st 13lb which is a huge achievement for me. I’ve been 11st something up and down for so long that to have a 10 in front is a wonderful feeling. I’m away on a girls retreat in 2 weeks and feeling in a much better place for it. No sugar cravings and not missing alcohol treats at all. SS has been a great incentive for me so looking forward to an October equivalent (although my week way will not be 800 calories a day!)
    Keep on keeping on everyone 😉

on

Some absolutely fantastic results coming through for SSS and great to read how happy your hard work has made you feel.

Sue Blue- great result so far for September! Keep going. You can do this – another six months and you could be there and guess what- we will have a SUE BLUE PARTY. I am so routing for you as someone who started with a few of us in January 2017. At this rate it might be joining you too to achieve my goal – second time round. So excited to read your positivity.

Louise Kangaroo- 134 lb !!!!!!!!!! Awesome work

LemmyLem- Normal BMI- Amazing result getting into the 10s!!

Kazz- i love your chrysalis to butterfly analogy and I going to use that as inspiration. Thank you.

DCT- only a couple of pounds gain is brilliant. You’re adjusting to your new “free” life and doing amazingly well. I am planning to retire early in March 2020 and I am determined to be at goal by then. I hope to be there by Christmas but at this rate it will be March! Glad you liked Ragdale, we usually do the 4 night midweek special. Might see you there one time.

175 target- you’re on track! Keep going.

Halloumi and roasted peppers just about to be eaten!

Looking forward to the scores on the doors next Monday.

Cathy

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good evening everyone! I am so sorry I have not been on, but I have been dealing with my own demons!! As you know I have given up the nasty fags!!!!! It has not been easy and I am gutted that I have put on 2.2kg!! It is to be expected and food is always going to be better at binging on than fags!!! So I need to to not berate myself so much!! Kafin you are an inspiration and a true friend and I thank you from the bottom of my heart❤️❤️❤️.

Cc sorry you have had it hard but I know with a little tweak and not beating yourself up too much you will get back in track! We do beat ourselves up a lot and we can’t help it!! Bit wee really need to try and not do it. There have been some fantastic results too on her and guys you should be so so proud of yourselves. I am proud of each and everyone of you! You have tried and that is al you can do!!

Like I said I have gained but I am not smoking so I will give myself a little slack to work with. Kafin has suggested that I do a little fat fast and then I can get myself back in track. I will start will start this tomorrow and give myself a break and see where it takes me. I am so so scared to put al my weight back on, but I am more scared that is will smoke again!!! I need to concentrate n. Being smoke free before weight free!!!

Keep on keeping on guys as I know we will get there in the end. Love and hugs to you all.

Birdy 💞💪🦜 xxxx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Birdy should be an inspiration to all, and all power to her!! Having said that, I am feeling a bit “meurgh…”. I turned 58 at the weekend, which I know is the new 45 (yeah, right..). I know I am self-sabotaging in many ways. There you go…

• posted by Birdy76
    on

6T you are not alone!! I am self sabotaging as I have drunk half a bottle of wine tonight and eaten chocolate!!!! Ah well still not smoking 😚

• posted by heiding
    on

Hi all
    My loss was going well but stalled a tad as my daughter and her bf have been visiting. I had a few non-BSD things, but not so much that I’m concerned. We are still all living our lives.

The best thing is that I’ve had no alcohol all month. I cant remember the last time I did that, but probably about five years. Last night was probably the biggest test, at friends for dinner and they were all drinking – and I normally would too. Turns out I’m just as silly sober (maybe more!) as drunk. I hope to keep it going for a while longer.

I was at the dr this morning. I weighed myself there a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve lost 1.1kgs, so I’m happy with that.
    Good luck everyone – and huge congrats to Birdy for not smoking

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Love you, Birdy and I hope it helps but either way, you are doing a great thing by kicking the smokes and this setback is just temporary 💕💕💕
    Shoutout to Heiding, Lemmylem, Verano, Cathy, Kazz, Dreamscometrue, 175Target, SueBlue – regardless of whether you achieved what you wanted to or not, you’re all still here, still trying, some have had great results and some have experienced disappointment but no one has failed in my eyes because it seems like everyone has learned something and we all keep pushing forward. So congrats!!
    Happy Birthday 6T!!! xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Birdy …… huge great pat on the back! You are doing so well. Don’t beat yourself up. What you are doing is probably the single most important thing you can do for your health. The small weight gain can be dealt with some time in the future ……. just keep on keeping on …….

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you V I am going to keep on keeping on, I promise. I have woken up with a stinker of a cold that is making me not want to eat all! See the silver lining 😂😂. So I have drank some fresh lemon and ginger drink I made this morning and had a couple of cups of coffee with cream! That is all I am having today and loads of water. I need to get this cold gone! I am on nights now for two nights so let’s see what happens.

I am going to be as good as I can because I have a Army ball to go to on November 1st so need to look my best in a posh frock😂❤️❤️❤️❤️. Hope everyone is well today and thank you to all of you for your continued support of me and everyone on here. You are all stars ⭐️ and I love and think the world of you all. Xxx💞🦜 Birdy xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Birdy it’s odd but often people report colds/flu symptoms and other such ailments when they stop smoking. When you stop eating carbs ‘carb flu’ is common just think of your symptoms as ‘smoking flu’ . They will pass, you will feel better ….. think of this ‘cold’ as your body ridding itself of nicotine. You CAN and WILL do this!

• posted by Annach
    on

Hello all, been an extremely busy couple of weeks for me so no time to post but September has been on balance pretty kind to me. Although not counting weight as a goal, I have seen an unprecedented shift downwards. I’m not medically healthy yet but the difference is very encouraging. I have been trying to stick to around 800 for 3-4 days of the week and keeping the carbs in check for the rest of the time. I think I will continue to do this through October and hopefully I will be ‘healthy’ by the C word…
    Hope everyone is well. Some fantastic life changes are happening on this site!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.