Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny, Wendy, Julia and Waitaminute and anybody else who maybe reading this thread. Just want to wish you all a very happy Christmas and will ‘speak’ again before the New Year.
    Take care and enjoy!!!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Verano, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

You post has prompted me to do likewise, so here are positives for today ….
    1 took some time out this morning, for a little mindfulness. Good way to start the day.
    2 good progress made on household chores – the place is beginning to look more presentable.
    3 the sun actually shone for awhile today!

Do you have anything positive to tell us about?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Paying for yesterday’s sunshine, with high winds and driving rain. Anyway, there are still some positives to post, so here goes ….
    1 took photos of a really beautiful sunrise this morning – before the inclement weather hit. (They say “red sky at dawn, shepherds mourn” and that certainly seems to have been the case today.)
    2 took sometime out from household chores, to hem a pair of trousers, a job that’s been pending for weeks now. Job done … finally.
    3 slow cooking a ham in spiced cider for dinner tonight and it smells delicious …. Mmmm …. can hardly wait!

Who else has a positive to post?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Verano, SunnyB and Waitaminute! Thank you for your good wishes Verano — I hope the rest of your trip is lovely! And SunnyB — yes, I heard the weather is going to be nasty, tornadoes even, so I hope you are safe and warm inside. Waitaminute, I hope your OH is happily settled and your painting of the screen is done, and as you love gardening, will you have a garden in your new home?
    My positives are, bright red lights on the London Eye tonight just at dusk, very Christmassy! And a great dinner at Tamarind and we are almost at the solstice!!
    Take care all and best wishes for a very happy holiday!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes, CG, we’ll soon be seeing the days lengthen again – thank goodness! Here is SW UK, we also need a break from the seemingly endless rain too though …. I’m so tired of the grey and wet.

Anyway, it’s time to seek out those positives, so here goes ….
    1. There was a brief respite from the rain this afternoon, which allowed me to run a couple of errands before it started again.
    2. Cooking up a batch of Gujarati Dal in the slow cooker, so I can freeze them for serving over the festive period.
    3. Bedrooms are almost presentable for visitors – just bedding change and ‘hoovering’ to do on Monday. Phew!

Hope that everyone is coping well during this pre-Christmas phase and not getting too stressed and that you are all managing to identify at least one positive a day. Maybe if you have a couple of minutes to spare, you could share a positive with us too.

on

Just a small saying for our solstice: enjoy the lovely dark as it comes and the promise of spring as it goes and the celebration of our holidays.
    “See the gray skies overhead, preparing the way
    for the bright sun soon to come.
    See the gray skies overhead, preparing the way,
    for the world to awake once more.
    See the gray skies overhead, preparing the way
    for the longest night of the year.
    See the gray skies overhead, preparing the way
    for the sun to finally return,
    bringing with it light and warmth.”

• posted by Jennie10
    on

That’s lovely

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi Sunny,Wendleg, Verano, Jennie,California girl and everyone else that I may have missed..Merry Christmas to you all. I hope your days are filled with love, light , happiness and low carbs 😉 have a safe and happy New year 😊😊.
    California girl, hubby is settled and loving his new job which is great. I’ll do my best to have a garden when I finally move.we will be renting so hopefully we get a place with a garden for me to enjoy. The screens are not quite finished , it got a bit too hot and the sun was shining on the boards at such an angle it made it a bit hard to see where I was painting ,so hopefully if the wind dies down a bit today I’ll get it done.
    I hope my fellow Aussies are all safe from those terrifying fires, there seems to be no end from them it’s horrendous. My sympathies go out to anyone caught up in them and to the families of the firefighters killed yesterday ..so terribly sad.
    It’s a bit hard to find positives in amongst the awfulness of all that.

Anyway here is one or two. I helped my dad sort out some problems he had with his computer, making him extremely happy 😁
    My brother is back in Oz for Christmas 😁 he works overseas.

Well ladies I am out of here, I shall step on the scales and see what they reckon I weigh.🙂
    Sooo have a great day/ night wherever you may be 😁❤️

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope all our BSD compatriots in Auss are safe and well. To those who have been impacted by the dreadful fires there, I send positive thoughts and energy.

Just wanted to check in with a few positives, as over the next few days I’m unlikely to get back here very often. For today my positives are ….
    1 grandson’ s birthday today, 17yrs old – how did that happen?! He was pleased with the terrarium we gave him and was heading off for a day with his girlfriend.
    2 visit with oldest son and partner who have been struggling recently, following impact of bad family news. Glad to say they are on the way back up now.
    3 parents arrive tomorrow for an extended stay over the festive season. Almost ready, just need to do a few last minute chores tomorrow morning.

Wishing you all the very best that the festive season can bring, with days full of peace, light and love. Hope that 2020 will bring only good things your way. Will do my best to check in periodically over the next few days and hope that a few of you will also post a positive or two when you have a moment to spare.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Everyone 🙂 To the wonderful network and grapevine which emulates from this forum . . . Yes . . . Ive been absent from here for quite some time . . . but wont ever forget this Forum and its members who were my lifelines through a life changing chapter on my journey. During this past few months Ive been through ups and downs as we all do . . . but this week, a “speed of light” life-changing chapter . . . along with hundreds of others . . . has been my lot . . . in fact several (relatively miniscule) – events in unrelated forms – have been relentless in draining me on all fronts. Today . . . right at this minute . . . my positive thought acknowledgements are . . . 🙂
    1. I have SO many people thinking of me and hereby sincerely acknowledge their concerns for my welfare after . . .
    2. . . . . (self evacuating under instruction from family last Thursday) – Im back home from sheltering with my younger son and his family to my untouched abode . . . after three days of concern re horrendous bushfires which – while by road – were several kilometres north/north-west from my locale, were in a direct line . . . ? just a few short kilometres with high winds driving the flames which were crowning and being sucked along at breakneck speed . . . way too fast for anyone to confront. I had been three villages away – (maybe 20-25 minute drive . . .?) when it broke out just a kilometre or so from the stores I was visiting . . . and in ten minutes was caught up in people just literally running to cars and heading any way/anywhere they could – to safety. I discovered later, all roads in and out of the immediate area – major freeways, minor road and backroads were closing behind me as I headed south – homebound. Packing my (already prepared) – emergency things plus, computer, camera and the remaining Christmas gifts into the car . . . I locked the gate. That happened less than 30-40 minutes after I first saw the smoke. My usual route to family now blocked . . . a trip which normally takes 40 minutes . . . via the only other alternate route took almost 4 hours. Thankfully I arrived safely. I thanked my fasting skills as I had only had a quick coffee before leaving home earlier – planning on a nice brunch – not to be. I didnt even have my usual “munchies” – nuts and seeds boxes in my bag or the car! Dinner was arranged around my arrival so by 7.30, emotionally drained, tired etc., I really wasnt hungry . . . but had a small salad and cold meat. Funny how though exhausted . . .when I went to bed I couldnt sleep!!!
    3. Lessons in patience and tolerance levels are still be tested with a typed note from a neighbour dropped in my letter box during my absence. Such was declaring trees dividing our properties “are a fire threat and must be dealt with SOON . . . ” (they -(neighbors) – have lived there for maybe 6-7-8 years . . .? trees were there for decades before that . . . Mrs Neighbour has spoken to me (maybe) three times . . . in all that time . . . And now its urgent . . . 🙂 What they have done already has worsened the situation . . . what they are proposing isnt suitable for rural conditions. Im penning a polite note back and will ask elder son to deal with it for me – at least initially . . . Im in NO frame of mind to deal with panicking ignorance politely. If there were concerns then preparation is the way to go. A bit like “buy more toilet paper before the roll you have runs out . . .
    3. Thanking God for the coolness today . . . 38-39oC last Friday and Saturday . . . 15-16 today! Cooler conditions will help the firefighters – and calm nerves of stressed people for miles around.
    4. I had a few dollars available to purchase and donate some longlife groceries, fresh solid fruit . . . salves, handwash and wipes etc to the local fire shed for the girls and guys . . . they are ALL volunteers!!! and were deeply grateful.
    5. Sleeping in my own bed again was a luxury. So many poor souls had NO TIME to grab ANYTHING – so have lost everything owning only the clothes they stand in. The sad basic reality of that was, this morning there was a call for donations of socks and undies . . .
    6. The gentleness of my (relative) isolation, the peacefulness of the bushland, and nurturing of home is being absorbed . . . soothing and repairing – pushing out the tears . . . and replenishing energy for the next few minutes, hours . . . and right now Im thinking no further than minutes . . . one by one . . . There are firefighters out there again today . . the same ones who have been all over the state or months . . . still fighting . . . mopping up checking burning logs, trees likely to fall, electricity and gas people repairing wires, pipes., checking for safety. Im SO grateful – and fortunate – on so many fronts. Please everyone . . . count your blessings – and forget the small stuff . . . this kind of event among thousands of other things, really does smack you with reality of orders of importance and fragility. Thanks for reading. Duckie.xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi again WoodDuckie and WOW! Things look bad on TV but your account brought a tear to my eye. Hope all will be well soon and the fires pass without further loss of life and destruction.
    Wishing al our Australian friends only a much better and safer 2020..
    Sitting in Changi waiting for homeward flight and now looking forward to my own bed! Once again just wishing everyone ‘Happy Festivities’ ……. be back soon!

on

Oh Woodduckie, what a terrifying experience for you — I am relieved to hear you are safely home and I feel so sad for all the lives lost and damage from the fires. Merry Christmas to you and thank you for your update — I had been wondering how you are — good to hear from you.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

WoodDuckie – so sorry to hear about your experience and so glad that you’re safe. xx

• posted by caronl
    on

WoodDuckie so glad to hear that you are OK. My thoughts are with you and other Australian friends. Please keep safe. Doesn’t it put everything in context! Worrying about the carby danger of a mince pie doesn’t really rank on the scale….. I shall go immediately to a homeless charity page after this post and remember what Christmas is really about.

Some less important positives than yours:
    1) A busy week rounded off well with a lovely Christmas concert from our choir. Carols got us all into a good Christmas mood.
    2) We are all home for Christmas. Looking forward to bridge, silly games, and together time.
    3) All shopping and presents now done. Heading towards the kitchen now to make the cranberry sauces – try to get a bit ahead of myself!

Very best wishes to all here. Thank you for all the support over the last year, the laughs, the advice, the cyber friendship. We are an extraordinary band of people committed to being the best we can be. Long may it continue. Happy Christmas and 2020. xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Duckie – very pleased you are home and safe after your big scare. It sounds like quite an ordeal and no doubt you are still recovering from the shock, but so hope you will have a peaceful and pleasant festive season.

Quick positives from me so far today …
    1 mushroom and chestnut soup made for Boxing Day
    2 turkey stock is gently cooking, ready for Christmas Day gravy
    3 final house prep done, ready for my folks arriving

Hope everyone will have a safe, peaceful and enjoyable festive season.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello –
    I’m just popping in to wish everyone Season’s Greetings and safe travels. I hope to contribute more in the New Year!
    Duckie – You have been incredibly lucky. So glad you are safe! You are quite right, not to sweat the small stuff!
    Wishing you all great things, good health and happiness for 2020. 🙂
    Kazzee xxxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Simply had to drop by to share a family positive. Our youngest daughter and partner became engaged yesterday! She’s had a rough ride over the years, but her fiance is wonderfully loving and caring, so we are delighted by this new development. The news has certainly elevated celebrations in our house!

Hope all is good in your house and you are enjoying the festive season.

• posted by Verano
    on

Wonderful news Sunny! Enjoy!

• posted by caronl
    on

Many congratulations to your daughter, Sunny, Very special news at a special time. Festive greetings to all!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh that’s lovely news Sunny B…so pleased for you..and the happy couple of course ! That’s a great positive end to the year and prospects of a very happy 2020 !
    I am in the UK…Christmas Day was negotiated fairly easily food wise but I am succumbing to oodles of cream..in coffee ..anywhere in fact ! It feels like a treat as we can’t get the same in France. It is an absolute joy to spend time with my younger son . I met his partner for the first time this holiday and she is lovely so my dream of grandkiddies is intact 🤣. Tomorrow we meet up with Kazz in Birmingham for coffee and lunch….that is a major positive !
    I am enjoying being “home” and relaxing with thoughts of work totally banished !
    Lots of love to.my dear BSD friends …I know we will catch up properly in January but in the meantime enjoy the festivities and cherish the special memories xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    I thought it was time I started to post my positives again. There really is no better way to start the day so …….
    1. Finally over my jet lag. Never suffered from it before but spent two full days in a ‘fog’. Didn’t enjoy that one little bit but back to normal now.
    2. Got through the festivities with very little loss of control. I did have some Xmas.pudding because I really love it ….. although that should now be ‘loved’. I just did not enjoy it one little bit nor did I enjoy that really ‘stuffed’ feeling that I’ve not experienced for years. So good to get back to ‘normal’ eating again.
    Hope everyone had a good Xmas and is ready to welcome the New Year with joy and hope.

• posted by caronl
    on

1) Lovely family time over Christmas. We ended up eating very few desserts apart from homemade choc torte. Even the Christmas Pudding is still wrapped! So I had a lovely time and didn’t go mad. Some collateral damage but could have been worse!
    2) Goldfinches have returned to the garden. I love watching them.
    3) 2019 photobook completed and rounded off with some Christmas family photos. Feeling blessed.

Very best wishes to everyone for the rest of 2019 and 2020. x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly, thoughts are with our antipodian friends, who may be endangered by the fires there at the moment. Hope you are all safe and well.

Sympathise with the jet lag Verano. Last time we came back from Singapore it took me a week to recover. India wasn’t such a problem. Glad you’re feeling better now though.

Good to see you posting positives Caronl. Sounds like you have had a really lovely Christmas.

Apologies for being absent from here for a few days, but things have been quite hectic, including some unexpected visitors. Last of our guests headed home this morning, so getting back to normal now. Has been good to catch up with so much of the family though.

Now for a few specific positives …
    1 successful visit to garden centre on Friday, stocking up on gift wrap and cards ready for next Christmas.
    2 have managed to get bedrooms sorted post visitors and laundry is underway
    3 no guests for the time being, so I’m looking forward to not having to cater this evening, as we’ll just have some soup and chill-out.
    4 youngest granddaughter has asked to come and stay a couple of days in the fist week of the new year. Such a privilege she wants to be here.

Wishing you all a positive and peaceful new year and all possible good things in 2020. If you have a moment, please do share a positive with us here too.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi all and particular thanks SunnyB 🙂 Im 75 and in ALL my years I have NEVER experienced anything like what is going on now. Farmers country wide are fighting to survive the drought . . . herds/mobs have had to be slaughtered, sold or have died – cant afford to keep handfeeding. Banks seem to be hovering to foreclose on properties. Very soon food will not be availabe as we have known it . . . nor affordable. I returned home yesterday evening after another three days at my sons home. (They went away visiting – and due to an anticipated catastrophic weather combo, saving me evacuating if necessary) – I stayed over after Christmas Day . . . safe from a (closer to my home) “finger” of one MASSIVE fire. Such has been burning out of control for WEEKS – now with an (ever increasing) perimeter of (currently) over 1000klms. I believe it has covered over 140,000 square hectares burnt or burning within that ONE moving boundary. Its worth googling Green Wattle Creek Fire. First it was Queensland and NSW, then South Australia and Western Australia and now Victoria . . . all have fires . . . more than 100 burning across Australia most out of control. Victoria was providing fodder/hay etc for farmers . . . now with them on fire Im guessing that will cease. Even Kangaroo Island – off the SA coast. This is of IMMENSE proportions and critical to where Oz is headed. Remember parts of Australia havent had rain for 7 years and more. All the water we have is all we have until it does. And what do we fight fire with . . .? water. ALL dams are dry or drying . . . despair is beginning to creep into one’s private thoughts . . . anger being fanned by inconsiderate entitlement minded individuals who think its their right to still wash cars water gardens and take 10 minute showers. City dwellers who have their heads in the phones playing games or in highrise bubbles. We wake every morning to our world having a weird orange glow . . . its from, the smoke over the sun. I open a door to refill the birds drinking water and the smoke catches ones throat and lungs. Thankfully the smoke shields much of the heat. I live 1.5 hours by freeway from the heart of Sydney – the “Coathanger” Sydney Harbour bridge which features on every brochure and especially New Years Eve. In semi rural setting with bushland over the road . . . while it is usually pretty quiet . . . now everything is eerily q-u-i-e-t and orange. A new visual on the trip home yesterday was the number of birds dead on the freeway . . . not run over just dead. Id suggest overcome with combination of heat from flames, hot winds they created, lack of oxygen and drinking water. Huge quantities of trees just simply standing dead . . . amongst, ailing and yet others still coping. Its like a huge cull. A metaphor picture to me. My sister-in-law wrote a curt note after 8 months silence. She want no more contact because she believes me to have been secretive and judgemental towards her. We have seen 50 years together. While shocked at her decision . . . I realised much about myself. All these years Ive been so concerned for her welfare . . . I voluntarily took on the role of advisor, protector, and shared MUCH more than her – jealousy, envy and resentment have resulted. Ive now been handed a favour – of severance. In the midst of this, my neighbour is panicking about firehazards . . . a letterbox note basically said “lets address this now!!!” (Their home is RIGHT next door – not a distance away . . . I could touch the wall of the building from the fenceline!!! They have lived there for 6 years and spoken to me three times – for maybe 3-5 minutes a time). I KNOW this is a positive thoughts topic/heading . . . and my positives today may perhaps be considered educational ones – but stem from the above adversities. There are ALWAYS positives – however small.
    So . . .PLEASE everyone . . . (1)As it is ALMOST NEW YEAR . . . maybe this is resolutions time but in a truly basic sense. . . . check and if necessary re shuffle your priorities . . . a few ounces or grams of weight loss or gain are infinitesimal. (2) When I was evacuating . . . I looked round my home and whilst my visible treasures are many – life is short – look for what is IMPORTANT!!! It may surprise or pull you up short . . . like my sister-in-laws note. Another metaphor Ive been shown. (3) The bush is showing me to be still . . . take time . . . we dont always know what for or why. Maybe the message is just for you – so dont mind or be detered if no-one else is . . . . . . just take heed of your inner voice . . . and do. (4) Packing an evacuating bag – (packing . . .? Well one was . . one just had everything stuffed in!) – has shown me I dont need HALF of the stuff cluttering my wardrobe . . . so while Ive culled MANY tomes since joining BSD crowd and way of living . . . since last summer and the HUGE cull . . . body changes have obsoleted SO much more . . . Im taking the break from nanna helping out duties to heed what I was shown in these past two weeks – get down to basic needs – with my clothes. The wants are totally unnecessary and cluttering life, brain, vision and therefore choices. The wardrobe is just another metaphor – and will be seen quite differently now. Sincere best wishes to all here . . . and deepest thanks for so many reasons 🙂 Love Duckie 🙂 Quack! Quack!

on

Duckie, what a terrible, terrible situation — I am very sorry that your beautiful land and people are suffering so much. Thank you for letting us know what is going on — good to know you are safe and even finding some positives in all this. Take care.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

WoodDuckie, you inspired me with your pompoms in January 2019. And then your cupboard sortings. I don’t think we have a real sense here in the UK about the scale of things in Aus, perhaps because we have been so focussed on our pathetic internal politicking. You were and remain such a treasured voice on here. xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you sixT and Sunny 🙂 Your warm and sensitive responses have drawn the tears Ive so needed to shed and havent (thus far) been able to. Adding to my LONG earlier outpouring, Ive been quietly searching for answers for my inner self. “Loneliness” isnt the issue I have wonderful friends both in person, through the comp and telephone. However, there is “aloneness” – a very different thing 🙂 . . . as everyone has their own road to hoe – even with partners 🙂 Making every decision can be debilitating . . . Im most grateful for others’ advice when I need/ask for a different perspective . . . because THAT comes aside from their own issues on their plates! Its noon here, and via a 3 litre milkbottle, just finished topping up the 5 bird baths sheltered by shrubs and shade in my back garden. Done at 6-7pm last night, just 18 hours later – 12 in the coolness and dark – around half has already evaporated – such is the heat and lack of humidity. Listening to a little known radio station, Ive just heard the pink clouds of fire-retardent which has been SO valuable in hand with and in place of water – has now been found to have polluted some remaining open private property dams . . . the more frightening prospect . . .? the fire I mentioned surrounds the main Warragamba Dam which services Sydney . . . Another HUGE difference in the hemispheres – northern and southern landmasses . . . ours has no mountains (to speak of) – and little snow! (sometimes man made for skiiers!) – so our water resources rely totally on rainfall. No snow/ice melt to replenish underground water supplies. What we do have is foul smelling, mostly salty . . . and not fit for human consumption. I dont know about animals . . . Duckie xxx Quack! Quack!!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you caronl . . . and the same to you and yours xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

WoodDuckie my thoughts are with you. I am speechless. Yes we really should stop stressing over nonsense and try to put real perspective back into our lives.
    I hope being able to write here has given you some solace and clarity. Praying that these devastating times will soon pass. Keep safe.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello Verano . . . yes it did provide an avenue to maybe bring a different perspective or awareness to someone somewhere – which they may not have considered. Things we take for granted – that become commonplace: things like an afternoon ran shower which “inconveniently” dampens the washing or messes the freshly washed car . . . would be so appreciated right now . . . just to wash the dust and ash from everything, clear the air . . . hydrate the air even would be SO good!!! Its like, in the beginning . . . for a while – (a few weeks maybe) – one said . . . “been a while since we had rain” . . . then there were a few mls. in the raingauge. (Mind reset.) Then another lull . . . and a few more mls and mind resets, before this latest lull where there has been . . . NOTHING . . . no dew on the grass . . . no fog or mist . . . no clouds even. I use washup water for a bush or pot. Shower water for another tree or pot . . . laundry watwer goes to the grass . . . but it isnt enough to sustain it . . .crackly and dry underfoot. The weather map shows rain falling out over the Tasman . . . dropping into the ocean and I could cry . . such would lessen the coastal fires and give exhausted firemen and women a miniscule break from the relentless pressure they are/have been under for months. A little could (at least partially) fill farmers depression dams. We have had 1000’s of firemen here from overseas helping . . . what a gift. Some “out in the country” people have been buying their water . . . for months – some years . . . some go to town to friends homes or public facilities for laundry and showers . . . but that could take hours given their remoteness – then add fuel costs. There are SO many tendrils to this event and so many dont have a clue what a luxury it is to simply turn on a tap or flush a loo. There are the ones pulling together to share and care . . . then other end, the “She’ll be right Jack” lot, who cant or refuse to think past this minute . . . let alone long term effects this is going to have on everyone. They do look to blame – anyone will do . . . just to be heard and seen to be concerned. Tomorrow is another day in the “Land Downunder.” Quack quack!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Duckie, thank you for sharing what is happening there. Glad that you continue to be safe and are able to find some positives from current event. You are right of course, we become fogged by day to day life and too easily loose sight and perspective on what is truly important. Like you, I need to cull my wardrobe, this time to just get rid of some clutter, rather than because my body shape has changed again. I am conscious of being a clutter person and often think I need to take action on this, though somehow it rarely becomes a priority. Anyway, my thoughts will continue to be with you and your countrymen, in sincere hope that things will soon resolve and the country’s recovery may begin.

Whilst I’m here, let’s see what small positives I can offer up …..
    1 lovely lazy afternoon yesterday, following departure of visitors and immediate chores to return house to an approximation of normality. Was so nice for the two of us to just kick back together and not have to worry about entertaining or catering to others.
    2 took a little wander around the garden this morning and was delighted to find my winter flowering clematis has a perfusion of flowers and several of the primulas are also blooming. Brought a partially bursting rose bud indoors, in the hope it might manage to fully bloom in the warmer temperature.
    3 planning a quiet meal for two at home tomorrow, to herald in the new year – to my mind, much preferable to any great hoopla, after a busy Christmas period.

Hope everyone of you are finding a positive or two each day remember, we love to read about these, so post if you can.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’m glad you’re ok Wood Duckie and I hope you stay that way- I see the Green Wattle Fire is back at emergency levels. Thinking of you.

My daughter in law is at Manyana on the south coast with my baby granddaughter and I was horrified an hour ago to get a notification that the fire was approaching, it was too late for them to leave and they were to shelter in the house as it approached. Thank God, the wind has changed and it is now heading in another direction- please God not to burn out anyone else.

Trying to look for positives:

My aircon is working! It’s 44 degrees here today and I dread to imagine it if it wasn’t!

I had an extensive operation on my right hand three weeks ago, last stitches came out yesterday and with physio my surgeon thinks I’ll have 95-100% function. This is huge as I had the same operation on my left hand in August with a pretty ordinary outcome. Was dreading having two useless hands.

I have another 3 weeks off before I have to go back to work! It’s a lovely opportunity to potter around the house and clean out lots of cupboards and drawers, even if I can’t do much gardening.

I hope everyone has a lovely New Year. It always lifts my spirits to read all your positives.

• posted by Verano
    on

There is so much stress and strife around that I feel a bit uneasy reporting my trite positives but I guess we all have to look for some , so here are my last few for 2019 …..
    1. Hair cut and coloured.
    2. Nails polished and buffed.
    3. Looking forward to a quiet night in celebrating the arrival of a new decade.
    Wishing you all a healthy and happy New Year .

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Goodness Mariet, scary times for your family too! Hope you all remain safe. Sounds like you have had a rough time with your ops, so hope you will soon be fully recovered.

Sometimes it’s the small stuff we forget to appreciate V, so don’t feel bad about noticing the little positives along the way. You’ll be very glam to greet the new decade!

Thought I’d drop in early with my little positives too, before I get caught up in prep for this evening’s meal.
    1 got two new flower containers planted up yesterday afternoon. Pleased to have got most recent rose planted in.
    2 youngest son called last evening to say they will be visiting on new year’s day and staying overnight with us.
    3 bedrooms prepped for tomorrow’s visitors and bathrooms cleaned.

Whatever you are doing to see in the new year and the new decade, I wish you peace and only good things in 2020.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Think I’ll kick off our 2020 positives……
    1. Today (Friday) will be my first day back on full BSD. I’m not a hundred percent certain what I’m aiming for at the moment but probably 1000/40. At least I’m starting again so definitely a positive.
    2. Soup making day today as my freezer is almost empty and looks like the weather is going to turn colder.
    3. I have a flower sprouting on a peace lily that hasn’t flowered in absolutely ages. That has to be a good sign for this new year.
    Hope everyone is keeping positive.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Well done Verano! I’m two Days down, weighing and recording and so far around 850 and 20. I hadn’t realised how much snacking had crept back until these two days. But so far I’ve been able to embrace the hungry feeling and enjoy my meals. That’sa positive all by itself.

Today I bought myself a new overlocker and tried it out, works perfectly so now aiming to get some sewing done.

My daughter in law and granddaughter were able to leave the bush fire danger zone- under police escort- and are safe at home.

It’s cool and clear sitting on my back deck after a hot day.

Feeling pretty chipper tonight.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks so much for kicking us off with some positives V and good news about your family Mariet, you so st be so relieved. My intention is to kick start on the full on BSD again from Monday, but will be eating with caution over the weekend – wuth the possible exception of this evening.

Anyway, here are some New Year positives from me ….
    1 having son and granddaughter here for a couple of days.
    2 hearing about daughter’s embryonic wedding plans for 2021.
    3 the prospect of an uninterrupted weekend to ourselves, starting with a meal out this evening.

Wherever you are and whatever you are doing, I hope 2020 has started with plenty of positives for you and that you find time to share one or two of them here with us.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. My last evening in the UK. Travelling by train and plane tomorrow which is often a good opportunity to fast. I will have my kindle and coffee…
    Positives…lovely family time of course. We don’t always travel at Christmas and New year but we have had a lovely time.
    I found a few charity shop bargains..a Joules dress and some Per Una jeans..which pleased me immensely as they were size 14. I can’t remember the last time I bought jeans or anything size 14. 6T…I also enjoyed a mooch around TK max and found a snuggly throw for chilly winter evenings and some exfoliating scrub for my hammam moments 😉
    My son is well and happy and his partner is lovely . Hubby has arrived safely back in France and the cats are well.
    It’s all good. I will be back to my routine from Sunday. A nice lie in. Time to unpack…prepare for my early start Monday morning. Spring is coming 💕🌹🥬!
    Lots of love everyone. Special thoughts for our Aussie friends …stay safe everyone xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Have a great trip back Wendleg! I’m glad hubby has made it back home, and the car wasn’t too weighed down by your new purchases….I am sure you look fab-u-lous in new jeans! I’m with you on looking forward to Spring. Saw some daffodils in flower today! And also thinking of all in Australia – it is truly heart breaking. xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Mariet, Verano, 6Turkeys, Wendy, SunnyB EVERYONE! Happy New Year to you all . . . with as much exhuberance as one can muster when all around is so dry, on fire, dramatic, and unknown. The perfect storm for snacking, eating, survival instincts to be on red alert. Fighting, suppressing – answering is EASIER when you know what . . . just not easy 🙂 Im doing my best and grateful for all the months where (it seems now!) Ive been preparing/training for a demanding chapter in my life. Mine not so much demanding as that of THOUSANDS of others in places Ive been fortunate enough to have experienced at their peak, through my well travelled days of camping safari tours, tour organiser and places of my choice, short weekend sojourns, weekends at friends homes – and meanderings when the whim took me on a (personal) drive. All now being recalled and remembered with love and affection and horror of now no longer. This mornings news of exquisite Kangaroo Island’s fate is devastating. Ive been there twice . . . Family is travelling home today – Ive fussed with a text message of best radio for most accurate update on road closures etc. Son gaves me thumbs up and said “all good mum have it in hand”. He is a husband and father as well as a son and more than capable of taking care of business. Im just being a mum xxxx 🙁 Echoing Mariet’s concerns and relief. The road they will be travelling has been listed as one which is expected to be closed . . either flames or smoke I believe. Some days I feel larger than others . . . dont concern myself with scales . . . just grateful for feeling healthy and trusting what has now become second nature is keeping bg’s steady. In the scheme of things . . . not even a pinhead. Can you imagine around 4000 people being herded by nature to the extremes of a SMALL peninsular of land – and then the wind changed – fire turned and them cheering with joy??? Then there for days – waiting and needing to be evacuated by a naval vessel . . . maximum 1000 at a time – ferried somewhere else . . . some needing to be winched to safety by helicopter . . .? I hope someone is giving them a hug. Our firefighters have been battling this since around September and it is only gaining momentum. Surely there cant be much more to burn. Thank you NZ, Canada, US for loaning us some your firies . . . I despair for them all. How much more energy have they left to give/devote to their country and we grateful Aussies? xxx Duckie.

• posted by Verano
    on

WoodDuckie, and all our other Australian friends, I guess you can only be thankful to be safe. Let’s hope that the fires are soon under control and don’t last through the whole of your summer.
    Despite everything going on around us, and things do seem to be precarious at the moment, on several fronts, we do still need to find and cling onto some positives.
    So just one positive for me today my head is back in the right place after the ‘madness’ of the last few weeks. Time to look forward ….. no point in looking back!
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Please don’t try to hijack this valuable thread with adverts or promotions. This post bove has been reported.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy – hope you are back home safely and settled back in, ready for your usual routine.
    Duckie and everyone else in Aus – hope you are all still safe and sound. It is scary to think there is still no end in sight of the dreadful fires that continue to rage.
    Great sentiment Verano. We can only impact on what is to come, so there is nothing to be gained from looking back with ‘if onlys’.

Positives from my little corner of the world are ….
    1 Christmas has been packed back into the loft and though the house looks very bare now, it is spurring me to think about household tasks to be achieved soon.
    2 organised my new diary yesterday, so all birthdays etc have been written in.
    3 looking forward to getting back to full on BSD from tomorrow.

Hope you have been having a weekend packed full of positives and that your week gets off to a great start tomorrow.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I am back home safely although the disrupted Uk train service was stressful. What is normally a 3 hour direct trip turned into a marathon of coach replacement and several connections as I attempted to get to Stansted airport . Fortunately I allowed plenty of time by leaving much earlier than planned.

It’s good to be back home in our space. I have unpacked and sorted the laundry, hung up my jeans and other purchases 😉 . The house is also tidy ! It’s back to work for me tomorrow but not long to go now…6 months , eeek !!
    I have gained a kilo which could easily have been more but I had a fasting travelling day yesterday which maybe helped 😉 I stayed low carb throughout the holiday and alcohol doesn’t agree with me but I absolutely cannot resist double/extra thick cream, especially in coffee !! Godiva 90% choc is another of my weaknesses . Fortunately neither of these temptations is available in France ! I won’t mention the stash I have brought back with me 😉
    So major positive for me is that my family are all well, no major challenges to face. So so sad to see the ongoing devastation in Australia and feeling so helpless watching the suffering. Please stay safe dear friends.

As V and SunnyB have said it is even more important to stay positive in these unsettled times .
    So I will say that I am still friends with my body after abusing it with fresh cream and choc 😉 I am not panicking. I will be back into my usual routine and started today completing my special notebook which I began in September 2018. I started getting a bit complacent and even though I have had results, it is easy to slip into excesses even of ‘healthy foods’
    So I plan to be accountable once more, continue doing my gentle exercise of aqugym and yoga and be as healthy as I can and stay friends with my body !
    I will continue to post on here and I will set up the weekly thread for anyone who wants to join us in a weekly challenge.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to know you are home safely, even if the journey was more arduous than it needed to be, Wendy. That kilo will be gone in a matter of days I’m sure – you are possibly the most dedicated of us all. Will be ‘walking’ with you on the weekly thread.

Positives for SW UK ………
    1 Though I wasn’t on the full on BSD today as promised, getting back to recording everything consumed has been both informative and liberating. For the first time in far too many months I have felt in control.
    2 Lovely long Skype chat with a friend this afternoon.
    3 Rediscovered cauli rice this evening – yum!

What positive/s can you identify from today?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Seems I’m the only one wanting to note positives at the moment …. or maybe the only one with the time to do so? Regardless, I will post again and hopefully a few people will join in soon. So, mine for today are …..
    1 Today has been a good BSD day and I’m loving the feeling of being in control once more.
    2 Planted up an amaryllis and tended to my orchids, several of which have developing flower spikes.
    3 Decided to try ‘ricing’ some celeriac to mix in with my cauli rice – yum! It’s higher in carbs than cauli, so only used a small amount but it added a little something extra. Also mixed in some ground coriander, mustard seeds, turmeric and a few crushed curry leaves – will definitely be doing that again!
    Anyway, those are mine, such as they are – hopefully if any of you can think of a positive or two, you’ll find a moment to share them.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Sunny ! Thanks for keeping this Positive thread going and making valuable contributions to the weekly thread too xx
    I am back home and love snuggling up with the cats who have forgiven us for our time away . They are both thriving and getting on well .
    Betty the kitten hasn’t damaged or broken anything lately which is a positive ! I bought a pretty scatter rug for under the stairs but it is just a crumpled heap as she skids and slides all over it !!

I am enjoying having access to our kitchen and foods, especially my legendary farm lettuces ! I did find romaine and lambs lettuce in the Uk but I missed the many splendid greens and bagless varieties I can get here. Hubby bought chard and kale seeds and also kalettes which I hadn’t heard of .

I will be back to aqua gym at the end of the Week and yoga tomorrow which is a one to one session and my special treat to myself every Wednesday. My teacher is an absolute gem and has really helped me get back my mobility after my hip and other ops.

Talking of which I have a final hernia op scheduled for mid February after seeing my surgeon today.I am glad that will be sorted so I will be fighting fit by retirement !

We have a week in Valencia coming up …at the beginning of February. The school holidays come round really quickly this year for our region . I am looking forward to discovering Valencia …it sounds lovely and we have found a lovely place to stay..

So those are my few positives. Just grateful for simple pleasures and not having any serious challenges right now. Lots of love to everyone xx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone 😁

We’ve been enjoying some milder weather and I’ve been able to go for some walks again, something I’ve sorely missed over the past few weeks.

My hand function has improved to the point that I can go sailing this afternoon, first time in months.

Most of the plants in my garden look like they are going to survive the recent heat, I had no confidence that they would so this is a lovely surprise!

I hope you all have some positives today.

on

Good to hear you are happily back at home Wendleg! And SunnyB, it sounds like you are also comfortably back on track and enjoying your orchids and garden! Verano has been busy posting on another thread, and I hope to hear from other “positive” posters soon.
    I LOVE the new year and the already stronger morning sunlight and the relief of being out of the holiday madness — so much easier to avoid that annoying sugar and associated breads, carbs etc. No matter how carefully I plan, sugar keeps “dropping by” during the holidays and it’s a pleasure not to have to struggle with all the offerings. We enjoyed being in Austria over the holiday, managed to ski enough to balance out the few cookies I succumbed to!
    My positives:
    1.) back home in green California (at the coast) with spring already sprung and new growth everywhere — I got some of the fruit trees pruned and planted a couple of native shrubs that I wanted for the hummingbirds (they love the Ribes Speciosum which bloom thousands of tiny red blossoms in January and are such a valuable source of food in winter)
    2.) spent a couple of days down in Palm Springs with my daughter — fun to catch up with long talks and do some hiking along the breathtaking Palm Canyon
    3.) sunshine and blue skies here!!
    4.) still staying low carb with only those post-hiking beers as my carb weakness
    Julia

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy – you sound nicely settled back in to your routine and enjoying being back on tgrack.
    Mariet – hope that you have not been directly affected by the dreadful fires and pleased your plants seem the be surviving the weather.
    CG – plenty of positives there and how I envy you the sinshine and blue skies! Sadly we have more grey and rain here.
    Anyway, thank you all for telling is about your positives. It’s lovely to share what is good in our lives, as it’s all too easy to get dragged down by the negatives. Even the little positives are worth noting and can prove amazingly uplifting, both for us and others.
    1 Today I put fresh sheets on the bed …. mmm looking forward to climbing in there tonight.
    2 OH has decided today, to blocked out a week in his diary at the beginning of Feb, to redecorate our bedroom – yippee!!
    3 Found a recipe for Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken, which sounds delicious, so going to give that a whirl this evening.
    Whatever you are doing today, hope you are blessed with lots of positives ….. and if you have a minute or two, please share a couple with us.

Please log in or register to post a reply.