ONE WEEK AT A TIME Starting Feb. 26, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

It’s that time again, my lovelies! Shall we continue on together, focusing on one week at a time? Our family
    here has grown magnificently, and I hope new members will join us as well. I look forward to reading about
    every success and challenge we share, so let’s close out this month with style!

Allie

• posted by Natunfat
    on

Hello friends. I’m new and starting the fast800 properly today after lurking and loitering my way around here since the start of the year. I love the support and encouragement being shared around. Wish me luck and hope others are travelling well on their journeys to the end of Feb!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, welcome, Natunfat! Very happy to see you here….Please share your goals, so that we can get to know
    you, and offer the best support that we can to help you achieve them! The very best to you…We do this by doing it
    together ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by ClaudiaBQ
    on

Hello BSD Family, also new here. Well actually it is my 2nd attempt in two years ;). But this time the science, the weight and especially the mindset is louder than my inner “comfy friends”. I have never ever written into online forums such as these, always just been playing silent Jane :), but I believe putting yourself out there & surrounding yourself with people on the same journey does the trick for me ;). I posted onto one of the other Newbee Forums here and the responses have been great. With that being said, I don’t just want to be supported but also offer support, because I know how hard it is to just get started ONE DAY AT A TIME and keep on going on throughout without beating yourself up even when you slide or slip and then think what the hell, I might as well let it go. So happy to join you all on this journey. With that said wishing you a wonderful day and for those sneaking in some morning workouts, happy workout ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by CockneyLady47
    on

Hello all.
    I only signed up to the Forum yesterday so working my way round the posts on 800 plan.
    I am 71 yrs of age so too much to explain everything that has got me here. I’ve always thought I was fat and overweight. but turned out I wasn’t. Still since around 1994 my weight has been unstable and gradually increasing. I have tackled it at various times and then it has got out of hand again. I suffered bereavement (more than one) and then my life got out of control. I booked into a health coach to assist with my mind and it ended up she helped with my weight at the same time. Basically I was doing a sugar free diet (not to extreme) I stopped counting calories and stopped weighing myself everyday. Then last year was really bad for me (mentally) and I gained around 2 stone. I decided it was time to get myself back onto the “sugar free” regime. One of my friends (same dieting pattern) had read about the 800 plan and that seemed almost the same I was was doing previously. I thought I would give it a go. I started 4 weeks ago and as of today (my weigh in day) I have lost 13lbs and 12 inches over 4 different measurements. If I can offer any support I am more than happy to do so. Good luck to everyone starting today.

on

I started on 29th January and I weighed 208.6lbs = 14st 12.6lbs
    Wk 1 = 7.2lbs loss
    Wk 2 = .8 lb loss
    Wk 3 = 3.6lb loss
    Wk 4 = 1.4lb loss
    Total to date 26.2.19 = 13lbs
    Weight today (my weigh in) = 195.6lbs = 13st 13.6lbs
    My next goal is another stone which will take me into the next lot of stones.
    I have already posted to this thread but copied this from another thread I posted in.

• posted by MamieP
    on

I’ve not had a good week. Only reached 95.2kg this week. I’ve got a really bad cold and sore throat and last night I had chicken soup and white bread (I’ve been making keto bread for previous forays into soup but I just didn’t have the energy or functionality to do that yesterday).
    I seem to be hitting a plateau even though I have plenty more still to lose. I have a pretty good handle on the foods to eat part. I’ve basically switched my diet to part med, part paleo, part keto and source recipes from all over the place (the bonus to most of these is that they actually list the nutritional info as part of the recipe info).
    I don’t feel deprived, I’m actually feeling pretty great (aside from the evil lurg) but the weight loss is slowing to a depressing trickle.

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Hi all, hope everyone has had a great week! Here are my Week 2 results:

Wk1 – 5lbs off
    Wk2 – 3lbs off

I am a bit disappointed, but it’s all moving the right way, I suppose. My main vice is wine, and I had a half bottle of red on Saturday night. Then on Sunday, I had lunch with a friend. I was relieved to see a Bacon, chicken and avocado salad on the menu, with salad leaves, edamame and seeds, and it was lovely. Skipped the honey and mustard dressing, which would have brought the total to 589 calories, but I didn’t know what to deduct for that, so my recording for Sunday ended up a bit sketchy!

I had a few hungry moments, and have felt quite bloated in the past couple of days, but have stuck with the right foods, so again for this week, calories, calories, calories!

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Hi Everyone, lovely to see so many new folks ๐Ÿ˜Š. My end of wk 3 is a bit mixed. I’ve lost 1.1 kg since last week but I’ve been up and down like a yoyo often up in 0.5 kgs at a time. That said I have lost 4″ from my bust 2″ in the last week and another 0.5″ from my belly. The weird thing is, although I haven’t gone down much I feel smaller ๐Ÿค” which is good I guess.
    My main worry is my BG it hasn’t really showed any sign of dropping. Was in the mid 6 most of week but up to 7.2 this morn. I am staying mostly under 40g carbs I’m well into ketosis (used one of daughters urinalysis sticks). Does it just take much longer for some people to respond or should I be worried?
    Have a good week everyone

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Sorry for multipost…just had some questions. I went to the diabetes nurse on Fri, she was v
    unhelpful! She doesn’t like the BSD but couldn’t give me a real reason. She told me my cholesterol was high (6.1 combined, forgot to ask for breakdown) and that doing the BSD is a bad idea. I argued that we need good fats to tackle bad fats but she shot me down. She told me type 2 cannot be reversed and that my beta cells had already started to die, when I challenged that and said I thought type 2 began with resistance to insulin so we produce more until we we max out…thats when we start getting symptoms….she said this wasn’t the case and IR only occurs in very large people (thought I was pretty big at 98 kgs). The scientist in me knows IR happens in everyone but I am also worried as my fasting BG haven’t really budged yet after 3 weeks.
    I’m interested to know if the more experienced among us feel stress has any impact on fasting BG? Its been a v stressful week, my sons mental health is v bad currently, we are struggling with ongoing staffing issues with my daughters care package, so I ended up doing a nightshift, with no option to catch up sleep. then my hubby and I were in an accident when a car pulled across our path so we ended up swerving into another vehicle.
    The nurse also told me that testing my BG was totally pointless as a measure of how I was getting on! Help…….reassurance needed

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi ShellBob! Chill chill chill . . . easier said than done I know because IVE BEEN THERE WITH A DIABETIC NURSE!!!! If you are in Australia . . . its a wee bit different to UK and US. It is my opinion the “advisory” side of things hasnt been taught nor caught up with the latest info. FOR WHATEVER REASON! Stress WILL play a HUGE role in how our bodies respond to (whatever) because . . . we need to be kept stable . . . and if that means release more glucose, more adrenalin, more endorphines or whatever we need to keep us “balanced” to deal with the crisis and stress . . , it will do so! Im sure it switches to “SURVIVAL” mode. And if that means pumping out some extra sugar it will. Im no medico, but I wouldnt be concerned about the 7’s. Mine were 18-20, 12-14 – 16 until I sorted what was causing it . . . and ALL were foods on the DA ACCEPTED and RECOMMENDED LIST!!! AT the odd 6 and 7’s my endo told me to stop finger pricking because it was causing me stress – wondering what it would be this morning . . . this afternoon etc.. Also I KNOW our (my body) bodies are capable of padding us up to PROTECT us from the punches life gives us ๐Ÿ™‚ With disappointment surrounding last weekend, I can feel I bloated around my diaphragm . . . cant see it but certainly feel it! AND you my dear friend have had SO many hurdles, brickbats and challenges hurled at you right now . . . just keeping an even keel must be a juggling act. I suggest you simply DO YOUR BEST with your food choices . . . attend to what needs attention . . . and ignore all else until things settle down a bit. In the meantime . . . we are ALL here to listen and support you in whatever way we can ๐Ÿ™‚ And regarding “large people” and diabetes . . . . . .? Dr. Michael for one was slim trim when he was diagnosed and we are ALL here because of HIM!!! . . . so . . . one CANNOT blanket everyone that way ๐Ÿ™‚ Quack Quack.

• posted by skittle
    on

“I donโ€™t feel deprived, Iโ€™m actually feeling pretty great (aside from the evil lurg) but the weight loss is slowing to a depressing trickle.”

Ha – this! I feel just the same.
    End of week 6, 1kg lost. So big losses in weeks 1-3, then big slowdown in 3-6 – losing 1kg a week or just 0.5kg a week. Yes a kg is still a kg but I might as well be on the old fashioned “slow and steady” approach.. I feel quite demotivated after 3 weeks of this as while I have got rid of all the baby weight, I’m just back where I started. But with a much bigger tummy! Some inch loss, yes. (And v good off the tummy for health reasons) Sure it’s nice to be back in some old jeans. But I was never happy with the size of them in the first place.

Sigh. it’s just how I’m wired, I can only focus on the end goal, I don’t find successes along the way motivating, I just think about what more I have to do. it means I achieve a lot but I don’t enjoy it as much as I should ๐Ÿ˜‰

I will take some responsibility as I had a glass of red wine on Sat night. And I’m pretty sure I’ve kept to the various limits but can’t guarantee it as exact measuring has not been top of the agenda.
    It has been a hellish week – a dear friend died, my Mum has been in hospital and now I’m nursing her at home as well as the baby, my father in law is terminally ill and my husband is likely to lose his job and super stressed. I’ve been in tears most days over one thing or another. I’m proud of keeping going and inspired by other people’s commitment in the face of greater challenges!

I started at 15st 3lb and am now 13st 8lb, so have lost 1st 9lb or 11kg in 6 weeks. I wanted to lose 2 stone in this first 8 weeks, so if I carry on at this 2.2lb/week loss I should just about hit it. I’d dearly love to get into the 12 stone bracket, that would be a big boost, but maybe that will have to be the next goal after the first 8 weeks. For now just keeping going and keeping a downward trend however small is my goal – going to keep it as achievable as possible.
    I’m also going to buy a pair of jeans in my target size 12 and just use those as a measure to try and get away from the scales obsession. Just wish I could get myself feeling cheerier about it all. Hey ho.

on

Hello Skittle
    From your post you have a lot going on which could easily see you going off track. You haven’t you have kept going. You deserve a pat on the back for that.
    Please consider that you may not be feeling cheerier because of all what is going on – the vicious circle problem.
    Good luck and keep going.

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Oh bless you WoodDuckie, I know 7’s aren’t that bad but hey! I a trying to focus on the positive, we have booked a 2.5 week trip to the Outer Hebrides in our wee camper (luckily we weren’t driving that on Sunday) so super excited about that. And also my daughter saw her Endo last week and her HB1aC i awesome so we have stopped her Metformin (Katy has a pituitary based tumour so no hormone production and was on mega doses of steroids in 2016/17 to treat post radiotherapy necrosis in her brain. She also has hyperphagia. Anyway she topped out at 142 kgs and is now back down to 122 despite all of her ongoing challenges)
    I think thats deserves a ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†
    Hugs WoodDuckie xx

• posted by Mister B
    on

Hi all,
    Week 2 down. 6.2kg in all. Day 16 just finished. Over the grog horrors and on top of carb-flu (thanks for the salt advice, miso soup and salt’n’pepper with my hard boiled eggs did the trick). At an odd plateau the last time 4 days, weight static at 125.2kg. Seems odd as I’m sticking to 800 cals and under every day. When I’m sub-125 I’ll crank up walking from 1-2km a day to 5+ km a day at least 3 days a week (if history teaches me anything, exercising at that rate above 127kg is a recipe for knee/ankle/heel dramas). Dinners have been good, but my social life is a little sad ; I’ll ramp it back up when my willpower is stronger. Looking forward to moving off this plateau though!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the lead for this week Allie – much appreciated, as I know you will be sharing your knowledge, wisdom and caring in your usual generous manner.
    Warm welcome to Natunfat, Claudia and CockneyLady – we will look forward to sharing in your BSD journeys and we’ll do our very best to support you to your end goals. That’s quite some result CockneyLady, so pleased it is all going so well for you and you are feeling positive and upbeat.
    MamieP – be kind to yourself and give yourself time to recover properly from you bad cold. I’m sure that you will soon be seeing discards again.
    avisamuelgrey – please don’t be disappointed, 3lb discarded is still a good result – you’ve despatched over half a stone in just two weeks. Wine – and indeed alcohol in general – is a stumbling block for many of us and it does definitely mess up the process, so give some thought to how to avoid it. You mention calories, but not carbs and it’s important to keep a whether eye on those too, as not all calories are equal. And recording will be sketchy on some days, as when eating out, we can only guestimate portion sizes, how the food was prepared/cooked etc. Don’t worry about it, we are in this for the long haul and it will all balance out, providing we follow the rules the rest of the time.
    Shellbob – I would say those are very impressive results for the week and the fluctuations you describe are completely normal. Whilst weighing daily can help with focus, but don’t get too hung up on the daily results, it’s important to keep focused on the bigger picture. As long as overall the results are positive in the long term, you are doing just fine. Take Duckie’s wisdom to heart. There are many here who have had great results in terms of their T2, try using the search box to find related threads and posts, I’m sure you will find them helpful and I expect there will be others with T2 experience, who will be along to share their experience and advise.
    skittle – sorry you are finding your results disappointing and demotivating. As someone who is naturally a slow loser, I’d have been delighted to have the results you are recording. It seems by focusing on what you feel is a huge peak to climb, you are not fully appreciating what you have achieved to date, which is a shame as you have made brilliant progress. You have had a rough week, in the face of which you have still discarded some unwanted weight, so don’t be so hard on yourself. There is every possibility of you hitting your end of eight week goal of 2st discarded, so I hope you will manage to stay on track. Stop being so hard on yourself though, you have a huge amount going on and a lot of stresses right now. Keep doing what you have been doing, because you are doing it really well.

I’m starting this week with 1.2lb discarded, which gives me wriggle room of the same amount. Will be eating out at least twice this week and there will be some alcohol, so I know I’m going to have to be careful and extra vigilant. My aim is to see this week out with an end of week weigh-in, at the same weight as I am today.

Wishing everyone a good BSD week and look forward to reading this weeks posts.

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

Hi All, its been great reading all the posts. Itโ€™s what has kept me aroun even if I havenโ€™t been back on plan. My sonโ€™s birthday celebrations were great but found it hard to focus again, plus stress at work and emotional turmoil with matters of the heart had me falling into old habits and food was definitely a comfort. The result is feeling even more disappointed with myself but I have snapped out of it and organised this week and have shopped accordingly. Really enjoyed my smashed avocado and poached egg on rye bread this morning, I cant remember who posted some things as read through them very quickly but I ordered the Gary Taubes book โ€œWhy We Get Fatโ€ which arrives today. I also plucked up the courage to go on the scales and was pleased to see that I was still 1lb down so all was not ruined. Itโ€™s great to see the results and the newbies and along with these weekly threads it gives me the feeling of starting again which is really refreshing. Thank you all who do these weekly threads xxx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi all,
    Starting weight 93.6 29th January
    Current weight 88.1kg (unchanged from last week)
    On 22 Feb it was 87.5kg, but it rose during the week, when I stopped having breakfast trying to get faster weight loss.
    Waist measurement 96cm.
    Ketosis breath 0 mmol/L

The waist seems to be larger, as last week I measured 94cm, but my husband measured me, and even I couldn’t get the tape to have a better result! ๐Ÿ˜ You know, stretching it, holding in my breath a little.
    I had a lovely night out last night, drank 4 units white wine, feeling foggy today can’t handle 2 glasses anymore.
    I am back on 3 meals per day, have put away the dried apricots that helped me cope with hunger last week.

Carbohydrates average 44g per day, with one day of 66g.
    I really need to reduce the carbs to reach ketosis, as I no longer have that full feeling.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all, not quite a newbie as Iโ€™ve been here a few times before before falling off the wagon spectacularly. This way of eating works for me but I just havenโ€™t managed to make it a forever habit (yet!)

This month has seen me on the scales for the first time in a long time, and realising that Iโ€™ve put on 20 of the 24lbs I lost last year. This month has also seen Facebook memories popping up of this time last year when I was kicking BSDโ€™s ass, which has helped me remember how good it felt to be in control of my body and my health.

The one change Iโ€™ve made and stuck to is to start walking again. Prior to this month I was walking around 5 miles a week. Now it is around 25-30 miles. Increasing my exercise was the other part of the puzzle I never quite managed to make into a habit, so just the diet to sort out now!

So, here I am, back again for more! Keen to commit again to this way of eating, and see where this first week can take me x

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi all
    Just popping in to confess that I havnt lost (or found) and any weight this week.
    I have been taking antibiotics for a nasty infected hair follicle in a very delicate place and have not felt great!
    So, again, itโ€™s back to keeping on keeping on and hopefully next week will show a better result.
    X B

• posted by Tamara l
    on

I have a question
    I know you lose water at first, but when do you start to lose fat, around how many pounds of water do you lose before fat burning starts

Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all. As reported at the end of the last challenge I have not lost any weight. As I also said, the purpose of this plan for me is to keep my blood glucose in check, not gain weight and reduce insulin injections. So I am sticking around but having a different set of goals to most of you. My goals are to keep my BG at 100 or under, I never eat starchy carbs and always stick around 50g and I think that is what helps me most. Try to reduce my insulin by 2 more units over the next week (reduced from 38 units to 26 since Christmas). Keep the exercise to an average of 35 mins per day 7 days per week. This is helped by going for a daily walk with hubby to help him get fitter. So today I did 20 mins yoga and then a 25 min walk, he doesn’t want to go very far these days so I march on a bit and catch him up on the way back. Normally I would do more but it is to encourage him. My final goal for the week ahead is not to mess it up by opening a bottle of wine at the weekend. I dont miss it when I dont have any so why do I do it. Feel the need for a little treat at the end of the week – well that one doesn’t wash as I am retired and every day is like the weekend.

Shellbob, Skittle and Patricia1066 – I hope you dont mind me singling you out but it is people like you who keep me here on this site. After nearly 3 years I sometimes think I should just walk away. Reading your posts and hearing that you are having the same struggles, same doubts, same hiccups as I did all those years ago makes me glad that there are people who have lots of experience and can guide and encourage you. Not just me of course, people like alliecat and SunnyB, Verano or Wendleg and so many more. You will always get a sensible answer and maybe even some straight talking on this site. No judgement, just kindness and advice.
    Shellbob you say your fasting BG is not dropping and is running around 7.0. I have said this many times but it could be the dawn phenomenon – do a search so I dont have to type it all out again. Also, good on you for standing up to your Diabetic nurse – they can try to use their ‘I know what I am talking about, you dont’ attitude. Fortunately, we have been the pioneers in this way of eating and others (professionals) are starting to wake up to what we have been saying.
    Anyway, I am getting a bit carried away so apologise for the long post. Have a good week everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Mister B – it’s quite normal for things to stall slightly or even stop completely in weeks 3/4 and this is just because the body is making adjustments. Providing you stick with keep the cals and carbs under control, things will begin to move in the right direction again soon. You’re doing great, so just keep right on going.
    Nicola – welcome back. I’m sure you will settle back into things just fine, but shout if you struggle. Certainly sounds like you have a good handle on the exercise – still something I struggle with due solely to lack of motivation.
    Busybee – static is not a gain, so in it’s way is a positive. Allow your body time to recover from the infection and antibiotics and I’m sure you will see the reading on the scales dropping again.
    Tamara – I’m not aware of there being an exact figure or ratio for water loss before fat loss begins and believe it’s unique to the individual. Real fat burning happens in ketosis, so keeping carb intake down is important, but again, how low you need to push this is unique to the individual. For now follow the Fast 800 and see how things go, adjustments can be made as and when necessary to see a good rate of discard.
    SG – I was hoping you might drop by to offer advice to Shellbob, as I know you have personal experience and good knowledge on the subject of BG levels.

on

Hi again, second post of the day but just wanted to give my experience of trying to change my diet. I have been reading the new book Fast 800 and tried to fast by reducing my calories even further than the 800. Breakfast was a homemade smoothie of spinach, fresh raspberries, sunflower seeds and almond milk. Lunch was a miso, chicken and spinach soup. Not sure of my total calories but not more than about 300. I would have had a normal 300 cal dinner but by 5pm I was seriously heading towards a hypo. I feel myself getting hot and just feeling strange, numb lips and so on so checked my BG. It was down to 2.9. Spend the next half hour trying to bring it back up so 1 chunk of left over pork, 1 chocolate, 2 werthers originals and I am just about back to normal – no, my tip of yoghurt and prunes only works if it is not so low. Next experiment was time restricted eating. Last evening meal at 8.30 pm with a snack at 10 pm. No breakfast and lunch at 1 pm. Once again I am going hypo and seriously need to eat something. Conclusion, I dont know how a diabetic can do these serious fast or restrictions without putting themselves in jeopardy. Anyone out there, must be diabetic, tried these methods. I guess by eating only 800 calories on a normal day is as much of a fast as my body can manage.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Thanks. Sunny b

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Thanks Sunshine girl, I’ve looked up the dawn effect, i will experiment with checking at other times to see!
    SunnyB unfortunately I used to be a research scientist so I neeeed data ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I am finding it interesting to see my body responding to different things in different ways. I guess I’m using myself as an experiment!
    Halfway through Gary Taubes book too …fascinating stuff.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Hello everyone
    I would like to know the ratio of fat,protein and carbs I’m suppose to be eating.
    I started on sat and have been winging it till now
    Usually under 800 calories and under 20 carbs a day
    Feel pretty good except for about the first hour after waking up, is this normal?

Thanks

on

Please can anyone advise? My daughter has started 800 and now has sugar withdrawals with a headache and feeling tired is there anything she can do to help her get over it?
    Thank you.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

I’m new here but have been reading ppl suggest salt.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

CockneyLady – good hydration and as Tamara said, add in some salt. If she needs to take painkillers, that’s fine – no sense suffering unnecessarily. The ‘carb flu’ will pass in a few days and she should start to feel well and energised.
    Tamara – macros is not an area I feel comfortable advising on, but I know someone will have answers for you, however broadly speaking it’s low carb, moderate protein and moderate good fats. I’ve never worked on exact macros, but I know many do and I’m sure someone will help.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshinegirl
    I agree – what you did was very dangerous. Thank goodness that you were able to reverse your low blood sugars quickly and that you were not asleep when you went low. When I read your post I felt that you were really lucky to be OK – and I actually felt almost sick with shock that you did it.

Because you are on a fixed amount of insulin there is absolutely no way you should do fasting or restricted time eating. I was lucky that I was on a bolus/basal regime and was taught by my DNs to match my insulin to my food. So when I started fasting and restricted time eating I was able to instantly cut my insulin from 36 units to about 2.units. If I hadn’t done so I wouldn’t be here now. I must admit though that I was too cautious and should have probably injected a little more – but I felt that it was better to be safe.

I haven’t been on insulin for a long time and was only able to come off it through the fasting and restricted time eating – which I still do now. But I absolutely would not have attempted it if I was on a fixed insulin dose and meds. Sorry if I sound like a nag – I was just so shocked to read your post.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Tamara,
    The usual formula is low carb, which may be 50g or may have to be down to 20g of carbs depending on what level you need to have to be in ketosis.
    Protein is between 0.6 to 0.8g per kilo of TARGET weight.
    The rest of the cals come from healthy fat.
    The key to success with maintenance is to keep the carb and protein levels the same and increase calories from healthy fat to the level of calories you need for daily activity. – What that is depends on if you have been dieting in the past, regular cal counting diet in the past could have caused a slowing down of your metabolism.
    ———–
    Hi Sunshinegirl,
    Its Dr Fungs clinic which has a lot of experience working with diabetics to use IF and Time Restricted eating to reverse diabetes. Apparently they have helped over 3000 people reverse T2. – They have a program where you can pay on a monthly basis to have one to one video / skype consultations with a member of staff. You can send an enquiry through their website to find out if they think this program would be appropriate for you and more details about it. https://idmprogram.com/

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Everyone posted so quickly so I’ll have to catch up later.
    I’m reporting a 3.4 pound increase, from 157.6 to 161… I know it was caused by a weekend of poor choices and I’ve already had a good talk with myself about it so I’m not going to let it get me down.
    Goal for the week is to fast on my regular days (Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday) while continuing with my eating and exercising regimes.
    NSV: I purchased 3 new dresses, all either small or medium. I’m very happy with the changes I’m seeing in the mirror. I want to continue to my goal keeping this bliss in mind.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi โ€“ just popping in to speak to Shellbob44

Hi Shellbob โ€“ my two pennorth
    Like you, I started BSD pretty much as soon as I was diagnosed (did 5:2 for 2 weeks) and I tested my fasting bgls first thing in the morning and then before and 2 hrs after each meal โ€“ even the odd time just before bed. My fasting bgls took by far the longest time to drop โ€“ they stayed higher while pre-and post-meal numbers were dropping. From what Iโ€™ve read on here and other forums this seems quite typical. As sunshine-girl says, if itโ€™s your fasting bgls that are higher itโ€™s likely to be because of the โ€˜dawn phenomenonโ€™ where glucose is dumped into our blood stream to help kick start it for the day.
    My blood sugar levels went down through different levels, a couple of weeks at 7s & 8s, a few at 6s and 7s, a few at 5s and 6s etc. But within that, I always had days or the odd reading which were higher. Iโ€™d have mostly 6s and then an 8 or even a 9. There was one point where my bgls suddenly jumped up and stayed up for a couple of weeks โ€“ again, I read on here of that happening to others โ€“ Jason Fung, or one of the other experts reckons itโ€™s a positive sign of your body getting rid of the glucose itโ€™s been storing. Donโ€™t think that applies to you right now, but donโ€™t worry if they jump up for a while at some point.

Stress does affect my bgls โ€“ Iโ€™m stressed about my family right now, and theyโ€™re running higher than normal for me โ€“ but I try to think at least this is offset as best it can be by adopting this way of eating.

None of my health care team have ever agreed with my testing my blood sugars either. It isnโ€™t for everyone, but I know what works best for me. Like you, I like data and I like to know whatโ€™s happening. It’s been useful before and after meals to fine tune what and how much I eat, and to see the trend of my bgls over time.

My cholesterol was high when I was diagnosed, similar to yours, went higher initially – up to 7, now has gone down again โ€“ itโ€™s currently 5.9. โ€“ lower than when I was diagnosed. I read this was another pattern that can happen so Iโ€™m waiting to see what happens next with this.

When I started doing BSD in 2016 I was also warned against the BSD. I was told it was a fad diet and all the rest.(I have had blood sugars back in the normal range since September/October 2016 on the BSD woe). I talked to a woman the other day (at a MM tour event) who had pre-diabetes and was in a quandary about following Michael Mosley’s or the NHS advice which was contradictory. Sadly, it’s just what you’ll come across – from all sorts of health care staff. Don’t be put off by the diabetes nurse – it seems to me if you’ve got to 6s with the odd 7s you’re doing really well
    Jennie
    xx

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g I was so sorry to read your post but was so pleased to see that Krysia had responded to you. There are so few insulin dependent people with diabetes on the forums that it’s easy to forget that not everyone can fast or time restrict eating willy nilly. As you say your main priority is to reduce your insulin safely rather than lose an extra stone. These forums help us all in different ways as we all have different agendas. Keep safe.

• posted by Zal
    on

Hi, My first first week. I’ve been keto/low carb for about 7 years with some excursions during high stress. I hadn’t felt losing weight was necessary but have come to the conclusion that it is necessary to improve my insulin sensitivity. 7kg would be about right, 10kg too much.
    I’ve added in Hiit exercise on bicycle (short bursts of 15 secs) and that has helped a little bit with insulin sensitivity.
    I do well with total carbs under 12g (just as well I love leafy greens). Protein about 1g/ideal body weight, if less than that I don’t feel good. I had not measured how much fat I eat but I will be now! (I forgot to measure this morning)
    I eat between 8-6pm, I feel better eating 8-4pm but it’s a bit to antisocial. I could eat 10-6pm but I don’t feel good. 4pm seems to be as late as I can eat and feel comfortable.
    Reactive hypoglycemia is a big problem. The slightest thing can set it off, stress is the biggie followed by exercise. I manage it with a few grams of glucose.
    Fbg 5.7, breath ketone 90ppm
    Zal

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi all, so many posts to catch up on in such a short space of time. I had a quick read through them all and want to answer those with type 2 diabetes and those with weight loss at a plateau.
    I haven’t lost any weight in over 3 weeks but this week I have amazingly discarded 5lbs (and that was between Wednesday and Monday!) I’m so chuffed and it proves that it’s worth plodding on with the new WOE even when it feels pointless as nothing is happening. I’m now in my 8th week and lost exactly a stone. I know others have lost much more in the 8 weeks but I’m happy with that result. Only 3 more pounds to lose and I’ll be at the top end of normal BMI range.
    As for the BG readings I’ve finally managed to achieve 5s for my fasting reading in the mornings. I know from diabetic forums that the fasting BG is the last one to get under control. So that’s another plus for me. Shellbob, don’t worry too much about the morning readings. If they are improving throughout the day then the morning one will eventually improve too. It’s all to do with the dawn phenomenon.
    Oh and another plus for me……..yesterday was the first Monday that I haven’t had a massive craving for chocolate!
    My goal for this week is just to keep on doing what I’m doing…….and continue to avoid the chocolate. When I started 8 weeks ago I vowed to have a huge blow out at the end of the 8 weeks. But I’ve totally changed my mind and no longer want to blow it and undo all the good that’s been done. I usually dread my hba1c test but this time I’m actually looking forward to it!

• posted by Mariet
    on

S-G I hope you’re ok, reading your post was scary, living it must have been awful. I’m afraid I have no wisdom to offer but very best wishes for whatever you decide.
    I’m heading into this week with the same old goals- sticking to the WOE, watching portion sizes (I am not calorie counting) and maintaining incidental activity all day. My fitbit reminds me if I’ve been sitting for an hour and I dutifully go for a brisk walk/up & down some stairs. The problem is that a 5 minute work break seems to equal a 15 minute lapse in concentration.
    Happy news on the scales with close on another pound discarded overnight. I daresay it will bounce back up again tomorrow, that’s my pattern, but it’s giving me a lift today ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Good morning all.
    I have severe diverticulitis disease and take Fybogel which works for me. However I had a bout yesterday but still managed 800 calories.
    Overnight I lost 2lbs (5th week into 800 plan) and this takes me to 1st 1lb total loss since 29th January. I know some of the loss might be due to yesterday but hopefully I will continue losing over the coming week.

JGwen you posted a reply to Tamara regarding the percentage levels of carbs, protein and fat. I have made a note and calculated what I should be having. Just out of interest where does this information come from?
    I have a lot to lose and felt if I put in my final goal weight I would really struggle with the protein. Therefore I have set my 2nd goal and roughly I am on track but more at the top of the protein level.
    My plan has always been to reassess when things stop going according to plan. Chopping and changing doesn’t help if you are looking for a pattern (not anyone else but for me). I want to continue on 800 for 12 weeks.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Cockneylady,
    I am a bit of a geek and have done lot of research on different topics since coming to this Way of Eating. I started back in October 2017, and am down over 90lbs so far. – I would really recommend watching some of the podcasts by Dr Bikman to understand more. There was a post I made on the Take a Look at this thread back in January /Feb 2018 with a link to a podcast by Dr Bikman that I would particularly recommend following.
    The formula comes from a mixture of places. – There are many sources of information that you need to be under 50g of carbs to be in ketosis, but that some people who are insulin resistant need to drop down to under 20g.
    There is again a lot of research on levels of protein required to maintain muscle. – If you are doing a lot of weight training you may need to have slightly more protein, the problem is that if you have more protein than your body needs the excess will cause an insulin spike and that is what we want to avoid.

on

Hi JGwen

Thank you so much for your reply. Well done on losing 90lbs that is amazing. I do know about eating too much protein and I always weigh mine and keep an eye on how much I am consuming.
    Keep researching because all information is welcome.

• posted by Alice2B
    on

Hello everyone.

I would like to join in if I may. I’ve started today; have got an appointment to have blood tests tomorrow/general health check. Looking forward to interacting with all on this path.

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jennie10 and S-G, I will experiment with testing my BG at different times. Apparently keto diets have just been on the BBC this morning and one of the main diabetes charities was dead against it! Will watch on catch-up later. All I know is that I feel 10 times better, more energised etc. than before so that has to count for something.
    Also I have spent the last 18 years ‘arguing’ against the medical norm regarding my daughters treatment…this has lead to many other people befitting from treatment protocols being changed etc. This is why evidence from scientific trials etc is key to changing minds. What we are all doing here is essentially our own medical trial….we are trying something proactive to try and improve our situation….if it makes us worse then, none of us are stupid, we would stop, or change something. However if the outcomes are generally positive then why not!
    I think large organisations often think the ‘general population’ are incapable of digesting proper research….let alone conducting research themselves and then drawing true and reflective answers from that research.
    There was a piece on the news this morning about patient driven research for Parkinsons, this protocol involved permenently surgically implanting equipment into patients brains via which drugs would be given. It has taken many years but this study is now seeing astounding results…..I bet not many people thought that was a great idea to start with either!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Alice – we’ll look forward to sharing in your BSD adventure and getting to know you. Hope things go well tomorrow.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Scottishgirl, congratulations. It gives me a boost to hear that a few weeks of no weight drop, and you keep on going.
    So will I.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Scottishgirl, my GP was pleased with my diet and bgl but asked me to stop taking daily blood sugar measurement. I did as he asked, and when I made changes to the meal times, I had to rely on my own experience of lows etc.
    I feel like I’m starting over again. I may start checking again
    How do you manage?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome cockneylady and Alice.I can see already that this is going to be a very dynamic week! JGwen is our
    appointed keeper of all scientific data, and there are many studies that she posts for us on a thread called “TAKE
    A LOOK AT THIS” for those who wish to dive in more deeply. Have a look!

Cockneylady, you can continue along the Fast800 for as many weeks/months as you like, to reach your goal.It took me 10 months to lose 10 stone, and I never felt better while I was doing it. I frequently repeat that everything is possible with this lifestlye.
    Tastes over time change dramatically, and those foods that are missed at first, fade from memory, and you will surprise
    yourself when they no longer hold any allure. Maintenance is the grand prize, and BSD has tips and tricks for that, too.
    Day 2 is off to positive thoughts and positive efforts, so Carry On, my Cuties ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

on

Hi everyone, sorry to shock some of you, I am perfectly well and the hypo’s both only lasted a couple of minutes as I know my own body and symptoms so well I could feel myself sliding away (if you get what I mean). I think my post should serve as a warning to those diabetics on here who think that everyone is doing fast and TRE. We are not. I guess those people who do 12, 16, 24 and even 36 hours are not diabetics. I used to fast all the time when I was younger and fit. Looking at it logically I never thought I could have done 800 cals and I would be constantly hypo but the nutrition is so good and within a couple of days your body gets used to it. If you read DrMM he actually calls his new book the Fast 800 – so I am fasting as much as I dare.

Don’t worry, I wont be experimenting again – I have a husband with a big stick who says I am not allowed.

BG this morning was 4.8. Already done 50 mins of aerobics and will be heading out for a 20 or 30 min walk, depending on how hubby is feeling. Keep going everyone and stay safe out there.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad that you are fine after those two scary hypos S-G, but you obviously have a really good handle on your condition and so are able to take prompt action when necessary.

You are right to point out though, that those with diabetes need to exercise more caution when considering fasting, etc. For those of us not having to cope diabetes, any decision to make drastic adjustments to our eating patterns, hardly need to consider at all what the immediate physical impact might be, but much more whether or not we think we can mentally cope. Sending out the message that this is not the case for all, is a good one and it’s important people do not feel pressured to include fasts and so on, just because many of us choose to operate that way.

Anyway S-G, very pleased you are okay and marching on.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I, too, am relieved, S-G. I think your post about your hypo incident was really important to share with the BSD
    family..Not only do we always have newly diagnosed T2’s joining us all the time, but it is a very IMPORTANT for
    those who read our forum but may not be posting yet. This is such a serious disease for those doing battle
    with it each day, and it’s important for me to know what others in our community are going through. Thank you
    sharing it!

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.