ONE WEEK AT A TIME Starting Feb. 26, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

KrysiaD, I would love to get rid of my insulin injections and I always look to your example. But we are on different types of insulin, which is another thing people fail to realise. So the advice for one person will not always suit another. I will probably be stuck with mine and that is certainly the case after nearly 3 years on this plan. Just thought I would try a fast (excuse the pun) track method but it is obviously not right for me.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !!! Allie I am here !!!!!
    Oh my goodness so many posts on the new thread already. I need time to read them all properly .
    I am on a ferry returning from Capri to Naples ! Capri is beautiful but very posh for Wendleg πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰.
    Just saying hi and sending good wishes to all my friends . Our family is growing !!
    I will catch up soon I promise . Ps loving the fish and seafood here . O/h has had a monstrous pizza as thick as a door step 😱. Xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sorry SG – I just assumed that you were on Lantus also like me or Levitamir (not sure if I spelled that correctly) which are both basal insulins and fairly similar. I knew Lantus was quite dangerous very early on I had to split my injections and inject half in the morning before food and half at night because it took my BGs down too low if I injected all of it at night (which is more normal). So it was always a tricky insulin for me .
    The bulk of my insulin was Lantus and I could inject smaller doses of Novarapid after meals to stop levels going too high. When I started on insulin I was told to inject a fixed amount and then I was trained to adjust both insulins to match food and fasting blood sugars overnight. I must admit that I hated doing all the working out to stay safe – but it did help me when I started the BSD and then went onto fasting.

I forgot that you get your insulin in France which probably uses different insulins. Which insulin are you on?

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi sunshine-girl,
    I’m really glad to hear you’re OK – when I read your post my first thought was thank goodness you know your own body and hypo symptoms so well and know exactly how to respond to such low numbers.
    I agree with everyone that people with Type II diabetes have to be careful when considering TRE, fasting, etc, but I do think everyone is different. I have Type II and regularly do 16:8 TRE and I’ve fasted for 24 and 26 hours (and an odd 30 hours). I’ve always tested my bgls regularly each time, and the lowest I’ve gone is 3.8, that was only once and I felt fine. (I’ve also gone to 3.8 when I’ve been eating). JGwen mentioned Jason Fung and I followed his fasting protocol and my experience followed what he identified would happen. It seems to me that the big difference in our experience is what Verano mentioned – insulin dependence, and/or the impact of other meds. (I’m not on anything).
    I’m not saying this to be ‘contrary’ or contradict some of the valid concerns expressed by posters but just to highlight that there are different experiences of TRE and fasting amongst people with Type II.
    4.8 – nice number.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi Patricia, I’m type 2 on metformin twice per day (and officially canafliglozin too but I stopped that one myself when I started the BSD.) Doctors don’t recommend testing your own bg if you are not taking any meds that can cause a hypo. I suspect it may be related to costs as it means they don’t need to supply the equipment despite them receiving a certain amount of money for every diabetic in their practice! Anyway, I bought by own testing equipment years ago and check randomly. I used to check whenever I knew I had been really bad as it would kick me into touch when I could see the high readings for myself. I never felt ill when readings were high or had any symptoms so the only way to know for sure was to test. Waiting for Hba1c result and not knowing in the meantime would not work for me. I’m a head in the sand person and would just continue with the chocolate and worry about it when it was too late! Now I’m still testing randomly but for totally different reasons as I’m so chuffed with the results and like to remind myself how well I’m doing.
    Just a note to other diabetics- I am diabetic but I do a bit of fasting and am ok with it. I believe it’s alright to fast as long as you are not on any medication that can cause a hypo.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This may be just a bit of extraneous information, but I believe that jason Fung’s patients embarking on fasting are
    in a rigorous control group, aren’t they? Maybe someone with more knowledge of his work might comment? Thanks!

on

Hi all, yes KrysiaD, I am on Lantus but have never been told when to take it except evening, or how much. I did start on 28 and was told to adjust it up or down depending on my numbers and food but never done any real counting, just guess work. Eventually I was on 40 units and still not getting the numbers down, I was on a high carb diet set by a nutritionist. Then I found this diet and just do as I feel like. I was also on Glycazide but, because of the amount of exercise (mainly swimming in summer) I was having a lot of lows so cut it from 90mg to 60mg. Told the doctor and he was okay with that. If I go out for a meal I increase the insulin for a couple of nights. If I go on holiday I increase for the duration then spend weeks trying to bring it back down again. Over Xmas I was on 38 units and have now got it back down to 26 and hope to get it down further but it only takes one bad meal or treat to put my BG up again and having to increase the insulin. I seems like it wont ever end. I did accidentally forget my insulin one night and my BG was 170 (9.4) the next morning. Which was why I had to up it to 38 otherwise I might have managed the holiday with little or no increase as I was super good foodwise. Anyway, I seem to be stuck. I might try to muddle through with my French and ask doctor gorgeous to review my medication – actually my French is quite good and I can look up anything I am not sure of before I go. Maybe there are some oral meds that are new and we have not yet discussed. Anyone else know of any other treatments after insulin or am I really stuck with it.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Hi everyone

Just wondering if you workout
    Is thirty mins a day enough?

on

Tamara 1 the recommendation is for 30 mins 5 days per week so if you are doing 30 mins 7 days you are doing very well. I tend to do more per day as I have to miss out 2 or 3 days so today I did 50 mins aerobics and 35 mins walking. That helps keep me at the 30 mins per day.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Thanks sunshine girl

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Hi

Are coloured peppers ok?
    They seem to have a lot of sugar. I don’t like the green ones.
    Thanks

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi sunshine girl, have you tried the diabetes.co.uk forum. I find it very helpful in all things diabetic related. Well worth a look.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

My first week will end Friday.
    I’m only weighing once a week
    Was just wondering when weigh loss usually starts to slow.
    I have about 50 pounds to lose

Thanks

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi sunshine girl, have you tried the global diabetes community forum? I find it very helpful in all thing diabetes related. Well worth a look

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

PS I’ve tried about 5 times to post that and each time it didn’t work. I think it may have been because I included the website address. Sorry but you will have to Google it. Hopefully you’ll find the right one. Sorry I can’t be more help but I have no experience of insulin related issues. But I know there will be folk on the diabetes forum who will be able to help you. I have gained so much knowledge from that site. Good luck

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have just caught up with the thread and really feel for those who are struggling with diabetes and other medical issues. Sorry to hear of your experience sunshine girl. If you need any help with getting your message across in French to your doc give me a shout .
    I am sorry ..my earlier post sounded a bit frivolous in the midst of all the serious discussion but I had not had time to read the thread thoroughly .
    All the very best everyone. Also reading about some great results so please don’t get discouraged. ..

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Yes Jennie that’s the one

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hey Scottishgirl, thanks for your perspective.
    When the GP told me not to keep testing, I was so reassured.
    Testing reminds me like nothing else of the stakes. No one else can prevent me from using peanuts and ryvita as crutch, rather than occasional snacks. Those were my downfall this week.
    Bsl was fine today so my total weariness must be related to drinks taken 2 nights ago, or stress about how it affected me.
    Tomorrow I will drop the carbs to 20g, get back on the wagon!

on

Hi all, thank you for your concern. I am okay and wont be fasting again. I just need to re-think my diabetes treatment. I have been doing the same thing everyday for 13 years and it is time to have a chat with my doctor. Thank you for the offer of help with the French Wendleg but I am pretty fluent although I do stop mid sentence when i cant think of a word. The problem will be I will have it all thought through and he will ask me something out of the blue and put me off what I was going to say. Tout ira bien.

I am going to take a look on the Diabetes UK site and their community forum. Thank you Scottishgal and Jenny10. The last time i went on this site I wasn’t allowed to use it unless I paid Β£45. I think it is because I live in France. I think I can look around and maybe ask a question on the forum but not ask for help from the staff / experts.

Please bring back the frivolity Wendleg and lets hear more about your lovely trip. Keep on keeping on….. everyone

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Looking at the diabetes UK website, they advertise the low carb program app. Β£69 pa for an app that offers integrated connectivity to scales etc and could bring together all the data you obtain from blood sugar, ketones testing and other body changes (eg. waist measurement). It has diet advice and perhaps a meal planner though that wasn’t mentioned. No expert guidance though from what I read, but you can have support via their forum.
    They claim that their clients have had remission of T2 diabetes, and 60% have reduced or eliminated insulin intake.
    https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/nhs/
    I am amazed that they target diabetics on medication, given the hands off approach. I understand that it’s priced as a DIY project rather than the full coaching approach of IDM and equivalent.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Quote from an independent report on outcomes of participants in a study of the lcp
    https://diabetes.jmir.org/2018/3/e12/
    The program stresses the importance of regular contact with the participants’ health care providers for adjustments in medications in weeks 1, 2, and 10.
    Just imagine how that conversation will go with the typical NHS diabetes nurse.

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

Hi Patricia1066, my heart goes out to everyone dealing with diabetes but how great that you are all trying to do something about it. I’ve started this WOE because I want to lose weight but also as diabetes is in the family and I see the struggles. Plus I hate the idea of not being able to eat the treats I like and having to check my sugar levels. I am such a wuss. If I sort it now, I won’t have to and still have a treat without detrimental effects. I also want to show my dad how someone who loved sweet things and carbs can give them up/ drastically moderate them. He is a very thin diabetic but has so many misconceptions and his own ideas about what he can and can’t have despite the advice he Ian given. Plus, he says he is old enough (75 years old) so what’s the point of changing. I do point out the pain he is in and all the checks he has to have and the eye ops he’s had! I was shown this WOE by an NHS nurse so there some really good ones out there and hope you come across them.
    I am going get my dad to watch β€˜Fixing Dad’ – I’ll watch it with him. With that and showing him my weight loss, I hope he gets inspired to make the necessary changes xxx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Thinking thin, Remind your dad that his dad went to work on an egg, as the phrase goes. Low fat became the doctrine of your dad’s generation, and I remember chatting with my mum when very young, (in 1970s) how what was good for her parents was bad for us. Eggs, red meat were prized and depending on budget, were on the table for the breadwinner to keep up their strength.
    We couldn’t reconcile the warnings against these high saturated fat foods, with the good health of that generation.
    Of course, his issue may be that he likes high carb, high fat.

on

Had a look on the Diabetes UK site and yes, they still want me to pay Β£45. I looked at 2 of the forums – the Newcastle Experiment, which was people asking where they could buy brands of shakes and was Slim Fast any good and why cant they use skimmed milk on this plan. The second was the low carb plan which, as Patricia1066 says, costs Β£69. Why would I pay for that when I have all you guys and my own doctor to talk to. I reduced insulin to 25 last night and my BG was up slightly to 6.4 but will keep at 25 as it usually just needs a little time to adjust. I might just have to accept I am on insulin at some rate no matter what I do with the diet but the less I take the less I weigh but more important, the less chance I have of getting all the horrible complications if I can keep my BG down.

Yesterday I ached all around my middle. Then I remembered the yoga session I did was all about core strength. For example, one of the exercises was laying on my back, legs raised high, then lowering very slowly and holding a pose with feet not going down to the floor. Now I know why I ache.

Finally, a big shock. When I cleaned all my tile floors yesterday I gave the feet of the bathroom scales a bit of a clean and removed some fluff and hair. Got on to weigh this morning and was a kg heavier. I asked hubby to get weighed as his weight never changes and he said he was 1 kg heavier. Now, is that what I really weigh and have a bit of work to do or are they 1kg out. Wont know until I go to the doctors in 2 weeks and he weighs me. I have been sticking with the plan and also doing more exercise with my extra walk each day so a bit p—ed off. Hey ho.

on

Patricia1066, that is so true. Luckily they kept up with the good fats, even when I was bleating on about low fat diets as I was doing Slimming World. I need to get them to reduce their processed carbs, white breads and rice and sugar. They focus on the one or two good things they do but forget about the huge amounts of not so good things they have. My dad asked my brother to take him to his friend who is a dietician. I’m going to go with them so will be interesting to see what happens. It’s a start that my dad asked for it xxx

on

Thinking thin, at 75 your dad (never mind his dad) would have been going to work on an egg. Not quite as healthy as going by bike. πŸ™‚

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I’ve got a picture in my head of a man with cloth cap, tweed coat and bicycle clips, atop an egg! πŸ˜™πŸ˜

on

Patricia1066and Sunshine-girl, that’s given me the giggles 🀣

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Well that’s a revelation tried testing my BG before and after tea last night 5.2 before, 5.6 2 hrs after…..proper chuffed with that….fasting morning BG still in the high 6’s so I conclude I have the Dawn effect in all its glory. I feel so privileged that I have access to such a fabulous knowledge bank (AKA you lot πŸ€—) I also only have 1 kg to go to get under my first short term goal of under 90 kg eeek then only another 15kgs to go 🀣🀣🀣

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hahaa, very amusing Jennie! As an American, I would never have seen this πŸ™‚ When I was first
    married, we quickly discovered that we weren’t “morning people”, and dispensed with a sitdown
    breakfast! Coffee on the run maintained harmony…To this day, O/H prefers to put his breakfast
    on a tray, and ferry it into his study! Thank you for the video πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

on

Jennie10 I don’t remember this but I bet my dad would 😁

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello TT! My heart sang to hear you had someone in the medical arena accepting that THiS wOe is valid and valuable. As an octogenarian myself . . . I can appreciate dad maybe a little stubborn . . . – (and Im sure would have said something like “I need to lose weight!!!” . . . somewhere along the way) – though Im sure with careful handling, watching the movie and maybe leaving one of Dr MM’s books lying around somewhere . . . small changes may yet be in store. I so wish I had this info available when my dear (departed) dad was battling finger-pricking dramas every morning . . . while feeding himself recommended high-carb foods every morning! He wasnt a diabetic persay . . . great eyesight, all bodily functions top drawer, and healing qualities after major surgery proved that! however the fact his BSL’s were fluctuating for no “health” reason . . . the anguish he suffered all those years could have been avoided. And yes . . . in his younger working years he had a high protein some fat breakfast for years!!! Then came the 80’s and the so called revolution . . . now debunked as just fads and unhealthy altering of basics . . . and for what good reason . . .? All the best to you both in your endeavours . . . Quack Quack πŸ™‚ Go daddy!!!

on

Hi WoodDuckie, stubborn is definitely the trait that comes out when talking about my dad. I wish I could say he had been on a healthy regime but I fear years of drinking hasn’t helped his cause but now it’s the resistance to changing habits. Such a shame as we know that making changes can be so beneficial and we could have him around for many more years. I’m planning to go on Sunday so let’s see how we get on. Thanks for your support x

• posted by CockneyLady47
    on

It is the middle of the night here in the UK and going through another night of not sleeping.
    I suffer from severe diverticular disease and on Tuesday had a real bad bout of upset tummy. I’ve not really felt great since them. On Wednesday I managed to get my 800 calories but it was a struggle. Then on Thursday I found myself having to eat off plan. I am now in my 5th week of the 800 Plan and can I ask if anyone has had any adverse reaction around this time?
    I want to continue as it has been really successful but I don’t want to if I continue to feel unwell.
    Thank you.

• posted by Custardcrumble
    on

Hi All, had a brief hiatus from posting last week as took the youngest skiing (he’s crazy – 10 yrs old and doesn’t do turns, just plummets down the mountain like a lunatic!) I have been keeping an eye on all your posts and they’ve been keeping me motivated :o) Just as well as Slovakia is all about dumplings and bread! Managed to keep strong and keep the cals down (mostly) & stuck to the no major carbs rule (though did eat too much fruit). Managed to discard a couple of pounds despite being on holiday.

Sunshine Girl – so sorry to hear of your challenges. Hopefully your head is straight with it all now and you’re taking the positives you can from the experience. You’re still an inspiration to me, along with many of you others on here.

Today is the first day of week 4, so nearly half way and I’m managing to stick pretty rigidly to the 800kcal. Carbs occasionally creep up over 50 but I’ve been lucky to be on a constant discard so far (perhaps an advantage of being a bloke as wifey is trying to copy (I do the cooking so it’s easy for her) and hasn’t really discarded any weight – though she’s definitely slimmer in face and tummy).

End of week 3 results: Total discard: 7.5kg – only a pound away from dropping into the next stone bracket and half a stone from my 10% discard weight. Another stone and a half to my initial target before I decide where I really want to be long term. Appetite is great – happily living on 800kcal for now (nuts are a great pick me up to tide me over). And managed to rid myself of 5cm around the middle (still a way to go!) Got a real boost at work when I saw a couple of colleagues I hadn’t seen for 2.5 weeks both of whom were shocked at how different my face looks :o) Trying to pick up the walking and a little exercise when I can fit it in around work.

Anyway – thank you all for being so supportive, inspiring and generally awesome – you really do make a difference for me! Have a fab weekend!
    CC

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi CockneyLady47
    I’m really sorry to hear about your bad tummy upset and sleeplessness. I didn’t have any adverse reactions like that so I’m afraid I can’t help. I’ve just typed ‘diverticulitis’ into the search box and it’s been mentioned a few times but not sure how much the info would help (and you’ve probably done that anyway!).

I really hope someone else might have some suggestions – if not, it may be worth posting your question on it’s own thread where maybe more people would see it. Sorry I can’t be of any help.
    Take care
    Jennie

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Thinking Thin – I bet your Dad would remember them. Good luck with him on Sunday xx I remember seeing ‘Fixing Dad’ on the TV; it was a few years ago now, but it’s one of those TV programmes that stuck with me – I found it very moving.
    Allie – yes, coffee on the run was my ‘go to’ breakfast when I was younger. Now, if I had a study I’d be like your husband – nothing better.
    ShellBob – I’m absolutely thrilled for you!
    sunshine-girl – I didn’t realise that diabetes.co.uk charged some people (overseas?) to be members. I joined in 2016 so I’m a member but I was never asked to pay anything. I’ve never posted on the forums but I did find out a lot about Type II diabetes from regularly reading through the recent posts on the Forum or using the search box.
    Patricia1066 – that evaluation report on the Low Carb programme was interesting. I didn’t realise it cost Β£69. I did the low carb programme a couple of years ago when it was free to do. At that point it was a 10-week video series with downloadable resources. It was helpful but less so at that time for me than the diet doctor site and some of the you tube videos. They’ve developed it further (I still have free access) but I don’t think it’s worth paying Β£69 for. I guess the positive, though is it’s another flag to be waved to the NHS and others on the value of low carb approaches for people with Type II diabetes.

Custardcrumble – a pound away from dropping into the next stone bracket is fantastic, but what I really want to say is I’ve fallen in love with your youngest – he’s my kind of guy!

on

Hi Jennie10, on the subject of Diabetes UK I can access the forums but they are no more knowledgeable than we are here. I have to pay to access any personal advice from the site administrators or to join the low carb diet plan. Again, no better than what we have here and the Newcastle lot seemed more concerned with a liquid diet while I prefer real food although I do have the occasional homemade smoothie for breakfast. I can read al the information for free but having had T2 for nearly 14 years I think I am a bit past ‘what is diabetes’ ‘what are the symptoms’. It doesn’t go any deeper or offer ‘free’ advice say on which insulin is better. Obviously that needs personal knowledge and I have a doctor for that. I will speak to my doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks, just to check there is nothing new by way of meds on the market. I am on insulin because all the usual meds like Metformin gave we 30 visits a day to the toilet so I couldn’t get out of the house before mid afternoon when the effects had worn off, so my doctor suggested that insulin bypasses the digestive system and would be better for me. Maybe that was a mistake. Oh that I could have found this diet first and ‘cured’ myself in the first months.

Talking of insulin, kept the dose down to 25 units and my morning BG was a bit better at 6.1 so will leave it there for now. We were having a security system fitted in the house so I didn’t get any exercise done this morning and it was too cold and blustery to go for a walk – what happened, it was 26 degrees 2 days ago. I am feeling well and have even lost 1lb since going by my new scale readings. Hope everyone else is doing well. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Sunshine-girl, you are amazing to take control of your illness, right from the start. Who knows what medical advances will be there for you in the near future. You will be in the best health possible to take advantage of it.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi sunshine-girl – fair enough – I thought that you might be able to post a question to other people who use different types of insulin on there, which is what you were asking about. Point taken

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone. Just checking in although it is not so easy to read all the posts on my phone and I feel a bit out of touch . I will be back with you on my computer next week ! Lots of challenges being shared ..well done for managing all the health issues and stresses. We are enjoying Naples. Pompei yesterday was very moving .We also viewed some remarkable colletions in the Archaeological Museum here . A haven of peace after the crazy traffic πŸ˜‰. Taxi drivers are very skilful at dodging mopeds which sneak up unexpectedly ! I don’t think there is a highway code. Mopeds just drive on the pavements if they don’t have enough space to overtake ! Naples is worlds away from pristine Florence but it has heart and soul .

• posted by wendleg
    on

A message for Amz. .
    We know you will be back on track Amz and all is well . You won’t allow yourself to be derailed by a few ‘poor food choices ‘as you say.That’s a massive victory . Well done on buying some more lovely dresses . ..beautiful choices there ! Have a good weekend and I will be back on the thread next week xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m chiming in with Wendy, Amz! We want the absolute best for you, so please stay in contact with us…You
    are a beacon of bright light here, and a day or two is easily recovered. The BSD is very forgiving, and you
    have grown by leaps and bounds since early days here. Wendy is the absolute queen of brightly colored
    dresses, and it cheers me immensely that you are choosing the same for yourself! I need to lift a page
    from the 2 of you, and find something that reflects my happy mood, too!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

S-G! What a story and what an inspiration you are πŸ™‚ I took comfort from your reaction to Metformin . . . a dreadful experience we have shared . . . and with two more “unsavoury reactions” to two more offerings of oral meds my stubbornness to deny acceptance of the offered alternative of insulin injections coincided with discovering 8 week BSD and Dr.MM.. Fortuitous . . . given my mental state by that time πŸ™‚ One day . . . you may be able to discard the dosage completely but in the meantime I am in awe of your abilities to manage/juggle everything to get such a great result thus far – and remain so mentally positive . . . Seems to me (most of) the “Associations” worldwide need to pick up their game. If the likes of this happy band of travellers who are part of this forum can gather SO MUCH info and work (MOST OF) it out by simply asking questions, sharing experiences and discoveries and a keyboard . . . what’s their excuse?
    Take a bow! Quack! Quack!

• posted by CockneyLady47
    on

Good morning to all. I am following the 800 Plan. I’ve had really good weeks but this week has been a nightmare. I was unwell on Tuesday with a really bad upset tummy (due to diverticular disease) and since then I’ve had a grumbly tummy. Friday morning I had gain .6lb and this morning another gain of 1lb. yet I am following the plan and drinking plenty of water. I am in week 5. Can anyone offer any ideas as to why this might happen. All suggestions welcome.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello CockneyLady47 πŸ™‚ Duckie responding πŸ™‚ Oh DV is dreadful and I hope you are doing better now. Maybe the “forcing” of 800 wasnt needed . . . perhaps body may have managed with less to deal with until things settled down. (Just a thought.) Please dont stress about “The Weight”. Discarding is great fun but can be stressful when you expect it to continue at the same rate as at the beginning (for most). Depending on “how much we need to discard” – ( i.e. in the initial stages, (it would seem) a slim person isnt going to discard as much as an obese person – there isnt as much there to discard.) Unreasonable goals can be like a carrot on a stick in front of a donkey. Weights and measures can individually vary SO much – as can the discard and rate thereof. Your weight already discarded is spectacular! Be buoyed by that fact – proving this way of eating works for you . . . because . . .? the proof is right there πŸ™‚ The small variations you mention could be a little extra fluid on that day . . . (or not enough being “put in!”) Ive read here (non) elimination can be the cause of a small change in the scales . . . so my suggestion is: if you are on plan . . . forget the scales . . . (check once a week if you must πŸ™‚ ) – and in the meantime . . . keep measurement records. Specialists (and many folks here) – recommend measurements telling a truer story. Im 8 months into my new WoE πŸ™‚ I didnt have a goal weight . . . but was here to beat the BSL’s . . . which I have! However, while still aiming for 800/20, and with two meals a day satisfying any need, I discarded 2 stone . . . BUT my weight has remained steady for maybe 2-3 mnths . . .? and yet . . . . I have shrunk by 11cms around my girth. As we burn fat so we build muscle . . . stronger bones – and tissue . . . as one goes, others replace. Hope these perspectives helps shed some light . . . and offer reassurance πŸ™‚ Quack. Quack!

on

Hi all and thank you for all your good wishes and thoughts on my dilemma. I just wish that the BSD had existed 14 years ago when I was first diagnosed and encouraged to eat 6 carbs per day – one with each meal i.e. cereal for breakfast, pasta at lunch, potatoes or rice with dinner and 2 snack like a Belvita biscuit (so full of sugar) and another bowl of cereal a bedtime or some toast and marmalade. What planet were they on. I stumbled across a low carb diet before I found BSD just by cutting down on carbs but not cutting them out. Then I found the BSD and with a starting BG of 190 within a week I was down to 130 and after that 110 or 120 – which quite frankly, frightened me to death. Now I run at between 85 and 105 which translates to a HbA1c of around 5.8 which my doctor is so happy with. I just want to get rid of the insulin. Firstly, I have to stick a needle in my stomach every night and although it doesn’t hurt much, I am covered in bruises and a very lumpy tummy and midriff. Secondly, for every injection I take I theoretically increase my weight by quarter of a pound. Then, thirdly, that quarter of a pound adds up day after day and every extra pound takes extra insulin which creates extra weight. It is like fighting a losing battle although I do manage to lose some weight on the BSD which had never happened before. Talking about weight and the view that diabetics are usually overweight. Before the insulin I was around 8 and half stone. Six months of insulin and I was 10 stone and a year later 13 stone. I am now down to 11 and half stone but need to lose at least 1.5 more.
    Finding this diet was the best thing that has happened to me and other diabetics and I just wish the medical profession and Diabetes UK would get their heads together and come up with a strategy to include it in their treatments. The problem I see is that they are concentrating on the Newcastle diet which is liquid and drastic. 800 calories can be done with real food and we all know that.
    I will get off my diabetes soap box and back to the daily progress reporting. Insulin still at 25 units and BG down a smidge this morning at 6.1 (actually same as yesterday I think). Surprise that my weight has dropped as I kept to my promise of no alcohol at the weekend (or during the week either) so I have got my wonky scales down giving me a small loss but back on track. Maybe my scale weren’t wonky, maybe I had a blip. Falling down on the exercise as other things have interrupted. I have a routine that I do my exercise around 10.30 am. If I dont get it done then, the day is lost for me as far as exercise goes. Hey ho, I will just have to keep on keeping on…

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

SG – that is absolutely what happened to me. The insulin increased my weight by almost 3 stone.
    I also wish the BSD existed 14 years ago. If it had existed then I would have found it much easier to go into remission. I only stay in remission because I am on 20g carbs a a day and If I increased the carbs I would very quickly be out of remission.

But hopefully if we ‘keep on keeping on ‘ our bodies will fully heal eventually. At least we won’t have to face sight loss and amputations even if we don’t fully reverse the diabetes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.