ONE WEEK AT A TIME – Beginning Jan. 22, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

๐Ÿ™‚ Awww shucks Thanks Marsie! Happy Aussie Day! It really is a day for celebration . . . and those who frown upon it need to be disregarded, ignored and pitied. Hindsight is a wonderful thing . . . every country has its history which can never be erased . . . so lets get on with making this a better place and . . . . Im adding my congratulations to those two WONDERFUL men who have been (jointly) awarded the Australian of the Year award! Hip hip? Hooray! x 3! ๐Ÿ™‚ (For those who dont know of this award or the results this year . .. two humble but highly talented gents who spearheaded, championed and pulled off the rescue of those soccer-playing Thai lads from the cave have received the coveted award.)

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning from Florida, folks!
    I donโ€™t comment much but woodducki has drawn me out of the woodwork, sort of speaking. Ducki, love the admission/decision concept. Like, I admit that wrecking hour is wrecking all my important numbers (weight, a1c, cholesteral, blood pressure). Which brings me to the decision to cut it out while on the Fast 800.

Catherine

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

OH Im so pleased someone understood and maybe it can help. Well done! Love yourself enough and anything is possible. Every power to you ๐Ÿ™‚ xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope all our Aussie friends had a wonderful BSD friendly Australia Day. It can get tough when we see others ploughing into all the things we used to eat and drink, but it’s worth remembering that it was because of that, that we all came to the BSD for help. It’s hard to change mind set though, so that we no longer think of those things as ‘treats’ and something to be desired, but over time, our palates change and our bodies no longer cry out for the rubbish we used to put into it. But getting to that point can be tough and somewhat depressing, as we continue to feel we are depriving ourselves in some way.

At week 3, 8weeksof800, you haven’t had long enough on the BSD for that shift to take hold and for your palate to have changed enough that there isn’t that yearning for the carby foods – and drinks. The formal dinner, will most likely be easier to handle than the w/e time with friends, in that at a formal dinner no-one will be paying much attention to what you are eating or drinking, whereas friends might take a little more notice. I would say try to stick to the BSD principles as far as you can, so avoid the usual things like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc. Ask if you might have a little more veg/salad and have that with whatever protein source is available. If you can, it’s best not to have alcohol as this does screw with weight ‘discard’ due to it’s affect on liver function. Don’t worry too much about the calories, it’s the carbs that need watching more carefully. If things do get away from you, don’t waste time and energy beating yourself up about it, just get right back to the BSD the following day and to be honest, that way you will probably find any potential damage is minimal.

Final piece of advice on mind set, is to try not to see what you are doing on the BSD as a chore, but as something positive you are doing for yourself, your health and wellbeing. Take it a week at a time and don’t stress about the fact you have x-number of weeks ahead of you, just stick with us on the weekly thread and take it one week at a time.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

After a small gain on 0.3kg (about half a pound) I am now back down to my Tuesday weight. Hope to lose a bit more by Tuesday so I wont be ‘stuck’. Still alcohol free but that is getting harder and I would have been tempted if it were not for my husband saying NO last night – that’s NO to a drink!!!! Not only that, I am sleeping well and not really missing it, just a little twinge now and then.

Hope you all have a successful weekend and keep on keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

So much good sense ! I echo everything you wrote, SunnyB. Tastes change, cravings lessen but we can’t fool ourselves into believing that it will be easy. Something to “get through” .It’s useful as Sunny said to think in terms of making healthy CHOICES rather than feel deprived.I don’t feel deprived that I ‘can’t ‘ eat bread, pasta, rice and other processed sugary foods. It’s a choice I make to eat nourishing , low carb foods. I am further down the line though, almost 5 months for me. SunnyB , Allie and others have had spectacular results. I am almost 3 stone/18 kilos down.
    8weeksof800 and anyone else who is faltering โ€ฆ.
    It IS worth the effort. You can take it at your own pace but trust yourself that the commitment will bring about life-changing benefits

If excesses happen as 8weeksof800 fears, what about slotting in an occasional fasting day ? Very useful for recognising true hunger and how much we can appreciate good food. Also it could serve as damage limitation as long as you get back on the BSD track asap.

WoodDuckie you are rapidly becoming the BSD Sage ! I love reading your thoughtful, insightful, artculate posts ! Thank you xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you sincerely wendleg for your humbling comments. I do hope they deliver the intention of encouragement and enlightenmemt . . . it isnt an easy task building a new way of living . . . and we are all apprentices and amateurs to begin. Only with sharing can we become more knowledgeable about the choices we have made ๐Ÿ™‚ Im most grateful to those who have gone before me . . . clearing the path of many of the pitfalls. Thank you to so many for making the choices and changes so much easier to unerstand.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks wendleg, I try to offer little insights when I can!

Working on you fasting days idea, if a whole day of fasting seems too much of a stretch for people in early BSD, the other option is to stretch the overnight fast. So skipping breakfast and maybe delaying lunch a little, to achieve an ‘overnight’ fast of say 17,18, 19 or even 20 hours. I found this a useful way to ease into full 24 hour fasts and in fact, am more likely to use this device than full day fasts even now. Many eat in a 16:8 or 18:6 pattern – 16 or 18 hours overnight fast and an 8 or 4 hour eating window and this can be very effective as well.

As an aside, you have done fantastically well in your 5 months wendleg and you’re still going, so be proud! It’s wonderful how you have become an integral part of the forum, offering advice and support to fellow travellers. Should point out that in actual weight discarded I think Allie has the crown, by comparison my three stone and a few pounds is nothing, but I’m very happy to share the spotlight on the maintenance front.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

And rightly so SunnyB. They are amazing figures of which to be to be justly proud!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Maintenance is no easy feat Sunny and you and Allie continue to support and inspire so thank you.Not forgetting JGwen ! I remember my first days on the forum and I felt so much warmth and encouragement.

I agree that it is a good idea to ease into fasting rather than trying for 24 hours too soon. It was essential for me as in the past I would eat and eat with no sensation of hunger. A sensation of carb cravings though no doubt. I never knew when to stop. When I had had too much sugar I would reach for savoury and after too many crisps would have a yearning for more sugar. Don’t get me started on fruit.I would happily have several tropical and other fruits daily and my fruit smoothies were legendary.

I find it fascinating that hunger is no longer fearful. I enjoy the sensation now, happy in the anticipation of nourishing food . I am now able to manage quite long periods of fasting ( up to 48 hours) with no ill effects and hopefully some great benefits to my health.
    I haven’t got a target weight as such.I am just going to see how I go but this way of eating is now part of my being and having discovered fasting I fully expect it will be part of my maintenance strategy.

How is everyone doing ?
    Catherine your life story is one of massive achievement when faced with difficult choices and adversity . I know you will master the wrecking hour challenge too .

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi everyone – checking in!
    I am easing myself into the regime once more by eating low carb foods in reduced quantities and in two meals a day. I have started my daily recordings and have upped my water intake.
    The next step will be to start counting the calories again.
    Have a good weekend
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Maintenance does feel very daunting to begin with and then one always has to be vigilant for complacency, in case it trips you up, but really I think for most people, once they get to the point of maintaining, they are so well equipped by the BSD way of eating to take on the new challenge, that it’s easier than they feared.

As with discarding the weight, there might be the occasional blip, but you know you have the tools to get you back to where you want to be, so almost automatically make the necessary adjustments to correct things. This forum has been so valuable to me over the years, both in supporting me to target weight and during maintenance, that it is important to me to remain a part of it and to give back as much as I can, in supporting others so that they too can achieve their goals.

I think Essneca had dropped off the forum before you joined us wendleg, but she had discarded a similar amount to Allie and was a great advocated for fasting, doing a whole week on one occasion. The benefits of fasting have been well researched and proven, so continue with yours in the knowledge they are doing no harm. Well done on extending to 48hrs, my personal record is only 24, although I am partly hampered by an overly concerned OH, so I have to manage fasting in a way that he won’t notice. This means I have to fast on a day he is out of the house for the day, so won’t know I haven’t eaten until our evening meal together. This way of eating does essentially become a way of life and an integral part of who we are, so it becomes automatic to carry it forward in maintenance and your fasting in maintenance will a very useful tool too. I’m sure you will know when you are ready to move to maintenance, even without setting a target weight at this point.

Busybee, I have this week moved back into the full 800 myself and it has been an eye opener! Approached it gradually as you have and have been working on pulling the cals and carbs down since Tuesday. Actually weighing, measuring and recording everything consumed again, has shown me what I’ve settled into in maintenance. Has been quite challenging making that shift into full Fast 800 again, but perversely it is quite liberating! Hope it goes well for you as you get back into your stride – please keep us posted.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Hello… Checking in. I’m alive and well, sticking to BSD this week. I’ve been exercising regularly as well, just fitness blender videos, but I think that has helped me out of my slump. Looking forward to the next week’s weigh in. Read everyone’s posts. Hugs for support and thanks for encouragement.
    I struggle sometimes simply because I found myself in such an emotionally difficult situation, but I find it easier when I simply focus on myself and the things I can do to make myself happier. I’m almost forty pounds down from the 200 lb mark I ate myself to last year so hurray! I can’t wait to see that scale display a number in the 150s. I’m also very happy with the changes I feel in the way my clothes fit. Looking forward to continue this journey and my spa day next month.
    I agree that fasting is pretty awesome. I think 48 hours is my max so far, but usually I just have an early dinner, fast the whole next day, and then eat lunch the third day. I also do omad but have it around 2pm so I can prolong my fasting time.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to see you Amz ! I am glad your mood is lifting. At least you recognise your difficulties and are addressing them and working through them. You are absolutely right to focus on yourself. Remember to be kind to yourself. Accept that you will have difficult days but trust that the feelings will change.
    We are always here to lift you if you need a hug.
    Discarding FORTY POUNDS is a massive achievement and you will get where you want to be .
    We are proud of you Amz . xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, Sunny I think I would have enjoyed getting to know Esnecca.
    I have to say fasting is made more manageable for me because I am out of the house most of the day and I don’t even think about eating when I am busy focusing at work. I don’t ever fast at the weekend but yes, I have wholeheartedly adopted this way of life and I won’t ever go back to my previous habits.
    This forum has helped me tremendously.
    Retirement and (hopefully) grandchildren on the horizon ( there I go again !!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Busybee, that’s a great start ! I have no doubt you will be posting news of discarded weight very soon.

I will be following your path with interest Sunny .

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi 8weeks,
    For your time with your friends why not take with you some things that you can add to the meals which are BSD friendly. – My favourite is to knock up some mini frittatas. If you use the silicone muffin trays they are very easy to get a neat finish. – I tend to use slices of radishes at the bottom, top with veg and then pour the egg mix in.

For the more formal meal, its quite common for people to be able to give any diet preferences for a meal. – So why not say a preference of ketogenic (which is the just another phrase for low carb). – I have been out for formal meals occasionally and said ketogenic with mixed results. Its easy enough for any chief to turn to the internet to find ketogenic recipes if they want to. The positives of doing this are, you either get food that you can eat, or you get the sympathy of the other people on the table and a willingness to split dishes with you because the caterers haven’t complied with your food preference. Also you get the chance to talk to people about the benefits of eating low carb.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I have just posted message for Nee on the 15 Jan thread and hope she will answer there or on here. All who agree we want to hear from her please say Aye.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Aye, yaye!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Aye Yay and we did!!!! Hello again!!! Good to hear from you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks duckie!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good evening, good people.
    Checking in. Second day on keto/800 calories. This morning, I had a blood sugar reading 74! I couldn’t believe it. Now, if it will just stay like that. My normal fasting blood sugar is around 97.
    I hope everyone is doing well.
    Max

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Woohoo! Congratulate yourself on unlocking the BSL’s secret! That is a great change . . . and encouraging for the future . . .!! Keep in touch with us please ๐Ÿ™‚ because reading results can encourage and give hope, helps keep us motivated and believing. Keep in touch and dont anticipate anything just aim and accept ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad that Nee was found on the old thread and is doing well – hopefully we’ll see Nee on this thread, or the new one on Tuesday. Maximin – excellent blood results there and hopefully it will continue to be at that level.

I have a lunch to go to tomorrow, but not too worried about that, as I know I can make good BSD choices and I’ll stick with soda water, no alcohol. Happy to be back to full on weighing, measuring and recording and enjoying taking control again. Admit I haven’t yet had a day at 800cals, but have been averaging 900cals, however the carbs have been pulled right back down to 20g max, so very happy with that.

We are in the final phase of the week for this thread, so hope everyone is having a good BSD w/e and will be posting good things on Tuesday morning. Keep on keeping on everyone!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone
    I saw Nee was back ( great !!) and sixturkeys was exchanging with her on the Jan 15th thread ! Well done both ! Great result Max !
    I have read a few posts on the forum where people are getting discouraged because they are not discarding at the “expected” rate. Please don’t get discouraged. It all takes time and an element of trial and error. We have to give our body time to adjust to a new way of eating which remember, is to be long term , not just for a certain period. Think long term health.

If it’s helpful I started the BS way of life at the beginning of September. I lost 10 kg in the first 8 weeks but I have since had weeks with no or very slight weight discard. I am now 18 kgs down at 5 months. I am convinced the health benefits will be tremendous.

Just keep going.and try not to compare with anyone. You will get where you want to be . Stay committed and determined

• posted by wendleg
    on

greenjanet is stuggling on the
    2.1.2019 Weekly weigh in and motivation to self thread.
    She is in danger of giving up.
    If you have a minute could you please post a message to persuade her to stay with us ?

Many thanks lovely people

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, Woodduckie and SunnyB.
    Thanks! I was shocked! But I’m looking forward to the same numbers weekly!
    By the way, weighed this morning and I have dropped another 3 lbs. I’m still so excited. I am well on my way to my next mini goal of 189.
    I hope everyone is doing well.
    For those losing heart, please don’t give up on the process. There are ups and downs but stay in for the long haul to see a great net result!

Enjoy your Sunday, good people.
    Max.

• posted by Verano
    on

Just one day left of this โ€˜weekโ€™ and so far Iโ€™ve managed half of my goal. Iโ€™ve logged everything this week but weighing hasnโ€™t really been practical, but I have tried to err on the heavy side when guesstimating. Hope everyone else is managing to stick with this weekโ€™s goals. Time to start thinking of a new goal for next week!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, Verano. Next week will probably bring you more than your goal.
    Good luck!
    Max

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey wendleg, I have left a message for greenjanet and suggested she join the weekly thread for support. Whatever she decides to do going forward, hopefully she will stick with the BSD principles, even if it is in an adjusted format.
    Way to go Maximin, you’re doing brilliantly! You are right, trusting in the process is important, even when things appear to be fruitless. Keep doing what you’re doing and will look forward to your end of week result.
    V – half way is better than no way, so well done on your achievement, especially whilst still being in recovery. As you say, now is the time think about our next step and what we hope to achieve in the next week. Will look forward to reading about everyone’s plans in a couple of days.

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

SunnyB – such good advice – thank you .
    The weekend went ok.
    I avoided all carbs and sugar. No alcohol. No point having it as it will just take away from the calories I do want. I probably ate a little more than I would by myself but it was really just more vegetables and salads. We went out for Brunch this morning and there was a vegan option without carbs – probs more calories than I would normally have – but I missed lunch and then made a nice BSD meal at home this evening. I doubt I will have lost any weight but I would also hope I wouldnt gain any.
    \I have discovered Konjac noodles – look and taste a lot like rice noodles but are carb free and incredibly low in calories – they are great – has anyone else tried them?

C

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

JGwen – thank you for those ideas which I will use next week X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi 8weeks, good to know that you have had a good w/e and have manage to navigate time with friends, whilst sticking with the BSD principles. It’s sounds like it was easier than you feared and I’m sure it will give confidence for your upcoming formal dinner.

I have used konjac noodles on occasion, on the rare occasion I have wanted a carb/pasta substitute. They are filling and as you say zero carbs and only a few calories, so fine to include them as often as you wish.

Don’t worry if the scales stay static this week, you’ve been busy learning how to make the BSD work within the parameters of you lifestyle, which is very valuable. Look forward to reading about you results for the week on Tuesday.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Since I share my successes so willingly, I thought I would honestly discuss my low points as well. Some of you know I started BSD because my husband’s ultimatum on me losing weight… The past month, however, I have focused on my reasons to become more healthy and tried to build a positive outlook… Well, despite doing so well at resisting emotional eating, I caved under the hurt and anger that followed a martial disagreement this evening… I’m feeling very upset at myself and foolish. My stomach hurts too. I’ve only harmed myself by giving into this moment of weakness. Tomorrow I plan to fast and brainstorm other activities to do next time I’m feeling terrible. I won’t let this destroy the good month I had. I hate that I sabotaged myself, but I’m going to continue working towards my goals.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

GG Hello and hugs to you ๐Ÿ™‚ I read your post with a HUGE amount of admiration for you ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for sharing so much about yourself . . . that is so trusting and healthy. An ultimatum is serious stuff and HEAVY!!! Why? Because it is someone elses wants being projected on to another being. We cant always be what someone else wants us to be. We cant always DO better – (theory? because if we could we would . . . because we would always like to feel better about either it or ourselves!!!) – Simple explanation. Huge steps in recognising how you reacted. That is so empowering . .. and shows us a signpost to success . . . “we did this it wasnt in our best interests . . .(as opposed to right or wrong!) – and so Ill deal with that differently if Im faced with it again”. Sounds like you may have been a little subservient or obliging – (just like me) – and therefore others who like to control things mould, push us or pull us – (sometimes ever so subtly and gently BUT definitely) – to their way and wants. Building your self esteem to counter such demands is on your radar now . . . I have read your words and you are emerging as your beautiful, loving worthy self. Love yourself first . . . put YOUR needs first . . . and hang on to your identity ๐Ÿ™‚ We are ALL individuals. Demanded obedience and slavery are long ago constraining and restraining conditions. We are all here for you in a safe pace to nurture yourself and grow. Hugs xxx from WoodDuckie ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Me Too.A simple disagreement with my hubby gets me prowling the cupboards I raid my sons treats .A fist full of chips (I dont even like salt and vinegar ). Couple of Favourites chocolates .I take some control and have a slice of cheese.I go out to the shops I order .a latte. I SERIOUSLY look at the cakes.I order haloumi salad , dresing on the side .yes feeling in control I walk for a couple of hours and spend my christmas vouchers.Im ok .I eat a normal dinner.Late in the night I rethink the argument and Im back in the cupboard and the fridge.Luckily Ive been missing breakfast so the end result is up and down for the week no progress on the scales.I have stopped beating myself up.Today is a new day and I start again.next week will be better eventually I will discard a few kilos.It took a few years to get to my size so it could take a while to get smaller..We just need to stick at it. Best wishes to all

• posted by Verano
    on

GGH I read your post with great sadness. You have done amazingly well discarding 40lbs, that really is some achievement. You have every right to be proud of yourself. I think that we only do well improving our health, body weight etc. when we are doing it for ourselves and not in response to an ultimatum, which is somebody elseโ€™s ideal.
    Why is your other half undermining you when you are doing so well?
    You sound as though you have got yourself back into a good frame of mind but rather throw yourself headlong into fasting and brainstorming to readdress one blip draw a line underneath it. Make a decision not to allow anybody else to sabotage your efforts, which is what really happened. You did not sabotage yourself.
    Have a good day today but its Tuesday tomorrow and the start of a new week so take heart in the fact that one bad day does not define the whole month and we can all restart with a clean sheet tomorrow. We are so close to the start of a new month which is another new beginning just keep taking one step forward at a time and keep focusing on your goal. This is your journey and nobody elseโ€™s!!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Amz I am so sorry . Again you showed great courage in voicing that awful experience with your O/H. I am afraid I don’t have a lot of respect for him..there said it ! I feel angry on your behalf. Ultimatums indeed !!!!!
    I echo everything WoodDuckie, Butterlover and Verano have said. You need a strategy to help you in these very stressful times so that YOU can remain in control, focused on YOUR goals and YOURS only.
    I sense control is the danger here .

When you feel yourself turning to food to mask the hurt and anger you are feeling ,think of all the wonderful people on here who respect and admire your detemination and efforts. I will put together a list of positive thoughs to give you strength when you need it .

I will be back later when I have stopped seething !

Let’s send positive vibes and support to Amz (Gheart) everyone !!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I’m with Wendleg – “ultimatum” indeed! Unless your husband is a complete paragon of human perfection (ie you’re married to a mythical creature) then who is he to treat you like that?? And I hope your fast is something you want to do for yourself and not because you feel you should for someone else, almost like some kind of penance. It makes me very cross and I am so sorry that you feel so crushed.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Amz – totally identify with you – I’ve been in relationships where the subtle manipulation goes on and on, making you feel a bit bad about yourself. You’re not alone and we are all here for you championing you on because you are lovely and you can do this just for you! ๐Ÿ™‚ And I know you want to be able to run around with your children so keep a happy idea in your head like running along a long stretch of golden beach with them or something. xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

GH/Amz – like others, I admire your bravery in sharing all that you have and hope you did so knowing that we would be standing shoulder to shoulder with you. Life is not easy for you right now, that much is evident, but you have made such amazing progress so far, I hope you know that continued success is waiting for you.

The overindulgence yesterday is best consigned to the archives. Don’t beat yourself up about it, life happens and you have already learnt from the event, in that you have recognised a negative behaviour pattern. Don’t waste time and energy beating yourself, for something you can now no longer change, but move forward with the power this new knowledge gives you. The power to adjust behaviour, to plan diversion tactics should a similar event arise.

You have proven already, that you CAN do this and what is important now, is that you get right back to doing what you know you need to, for YOURSELF, for YOUR health and YOUR well being. Returning immediately to the BSD life style, will minimise any negative impact of your digression from the path which yesterday took you on.

Really hope that you are able to dust yourself off, re-evaluate and move forward with us on the BSD. Big Hugs …

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have been thinking about Amz on my drive home and I think I was out of order saying I did not have much respect for Amz’s O/H.I don’t know him, I don’t know what the disagreement was about and I shouldn’t judge. I have calmed down a bit now.
    My initial spontaneous instinct was to support Amz . Like Kazz and I’m sure many of us, I have also been in manipulative relationships where I was constantly ‘put down’ and belittled. It took me a long time to understand what was happening and to regain my sense of self. At age 60 I am a lot wiser now ,having found my Prince in my late forties. ( You have to kiss a few frogs along the way but it’s worth it ๐Ÿ˜‰
    What helped me was the realisation that whatever someone is saying ,criticising, reproaching you with SAYS A LOT MORE ABOUT THEM THAN IT DOES ABOUT YOU .
    There is nothing in the cupboards or fridge that will give you more power then you already have within yourself . Food is just food. No superpowers , remember ! Just food. It’s to nourish you if chosen wisely, or to make you feel c**p if you turn to unhealthy sugary carbage.
    You will be empowered if you can find the strength to avoid emotional eating. You are the only person responsible for you and you should be treated with kindness and consideration in all things at all times.
    I would love you to regain some calm and serenity in your life Amz. Just breathe. As Verano said, don’t panic and rush into a fast just to undo any ‘damage.’ You definitely did not sabotage yourself. You are definitely not ‘weak’ I think as you so rightly mentioned, it would be more useful to address why you were taken over by the emotional eating so you can be prepared but take it slowly.

You have done magnificently discarding so much weight despite the many challenges you have had to face. Don’t let anyone undermine that.

• posted by Busybee
    on

My heart goes out to you amz/gg and how much I admire you for digging in deep and not caving into your emotions.
    I have the opposite problem with my hubby who is the kindest, loving, and supportive person and we have been married for 47 years.
    Recently he has been showing signs of short term memory loss and today our GP told us he would like to refer him to the memory clinic. Although that is what we want, it still upsets me to think of what the future may bring for this highly intelligent and humorous man.
    I however was not as strong as you and caved into my emotions and worries over the weekend and fell off the wagon with a bump – I gave in to the lure of a G and T and comfort of a glass of red wine.
    I suspect I will have undone all my first weekโ€™s efforts, but will try to reset my efforts again with the next weekโ€™s challenge.
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi wendleg, it’s easy when we perceive or recognise, that others are experiencing similar negative situations to those we have ourselves experienced, to allow our own ‘stuff’ to colour our reaction and have us jumping to judgement – it’s completely understandable. It seems many of us here have at sometime in our pasts, been in negative / detrimental relationships and one can’t help feeling that maybe those are contributing factors, to us all finding our way here, to help resolve the damaging relationships we have built with food to assuage our emotional pain. It’s hard when we see someone walking a similar path, not to speak out.

GH/Amz – I’m sure you know that we are all here to provide support and that our comments come from a good place with good intention. You have already shown such strength and determination and hopefully you will continue to move ahead in the right direction, using us as support as needed.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Amz, I’m late arriving today (computer glitches) but I see that all of your friends have already arrived to share their
    thoughts with you! Today I’m going to call you “Brave heart”, for the courage you displayed in bringing your stressful
    day to us. You are truly in recovery now, seeing yourself as a worthy and valuable woman, with much to offer us all.
    I’m immensely proud of you! Miracles and life changes are what happen on this forum ๐Ÿ™‚ Marriage is one of life’s
    most complicated endeavors, and no one in possession of an intellect doubts it. Forty lbs discarded is a huge
    accomplishment ๐Ÿ™‚ We all recognize it as such, and I believe that you do too! Don’t ever forget that you don’t have
    to do this alone..EVER..so continue to call out when life gets complicated. We have your back, always. I’m happy
    that you’re feeling on track today…No need to punish yourself! You are only human, as we all are. Believe in
    yourself, as we believe in you. With each day you will continue to get stronger, and the day WILL come when
    approval from others won’t hold a candle to your belief in yourself. This journey is for you and about you, no
    one else. “Allie’s truth”! Hugs xxx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I’m sorry too if I spoke out of turn and knowing nothing about any individual. It was the word “ultimatum” and connotations of that, and someone (and yes particularly a woman) being sad. I have been divorced for some years, but my reaction did not come from anything to do with my marriage; rather from seeing what my mother went through.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sorry if I have lost the plot, I read all the posts on my email but who or what is amz.
    I was sorry to hear of GG’s problems over the weekend. I too have had problems with OH but have now resolved. After a visit in August my daughter realised I was not happy with OH and encouraged me to leave him and go live with her. I decided it was make or break. I sat him down and told him I was not happy, he was not happy, so what were we doing together. We managed to thrash it out without having a blazing row and came to the conclusion that splitting up would do neither of us any good. We decided we had to stop bickering and treat each other with respect – and it worked. Although there is no great passion between us we get along just fine and have consideration for the other person. A divorce at our age would have been a massive loss for us both, financially and in our lifestyles. Hope you manage to come to some peace of mind.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi sunshine-girl
    Gangrene Heart is also known as Good Heart , Gheart, GG and as Allie suggested, Brave Heart. She once confided her true name is Amz so that is what we tend to use rather than the grim-sounding ‘Gangrene Heart ‘

SunnyB, you are so right .I think that it is impossible to be on a forum like this and to never address the emotional issues which have led us to endless dieting and an unhealthy relationship with food.. I am sure we have all got stories to tell . How fantastic is it that we all find ourselves part of this caring , accepting Community !

I reacted very indignantly to Amz’s distress and yes, the experience resonated with me ( and with sixturkeys) hence my need to speak up. I am glad I did as I felt uplifted by the wave of support and solidarity that enveloped Amz on the thread.

I am not afraid of peeling away a few layers to reveal wendleg “warts and all” ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you sunshine-girl for sharing your experience with us. Try not to worry too much about the future Busybee. xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m sorry, Busybee, I didn’t read back far enough! How stressed and worried you must be about the future…I hope
    that the cognitive functioning tests can be performed rapidly, and that you won’t have to wait long for the results.
    Such uncertainty would send me running towards a glass (or 3) of wine, also. Please let us know how your
    husband it doing. Hugs from my house to your door ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you to those who wrote to support me.
    Having looked back on both this and other topics I realise that many other folk have had, or are having such a bad time with physical, stress and emotional issues. I have given myself a good talking to and now must stop feeling sorry for myself and get down to the business of discarding ( new word) this weight. I need to get healthy and active in order to deal with what the future holds!
    X B

• posted by Mariet
    on

I read your post as well GG and was both shocked and indignant on your behalf. You’ve lost 40lb- what an achievement! Well done you and very best wishes for the future. After nearly two years eating this way I know how it has improved my quality of life in so many ways I never even knew were food related, I wish for the same for you.
    A disappointing week for me, have kept strictly to plan even on Australia day at the pub but the scales have bounced up, wiping out 2/3 of my hard won progress of the past three weeks. I keep expecting it to fall away but sadly it isn’t. Well under 20g carbs and 8-900cal a day so all I can put it down to is the fierce heat which I know is making me retain fluid, my lower legs are all puffy. Oh well, maybe a whoosh will come with some cooler weather- if we ever have any!

Please log in or register to post a reply.