ONE WEEK AT A TIME – Beginning Jan. 22, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

MAriet can so relate to every word in your post. I had the puffy legs – (more like kegs!!!) – for a couple of days last week and then they disappeared . . . but the heat didnt!!!! Water water and then more water hasnt provided me with any whoosh either . . . just copious quantities of perspiration!!! 🙂 Ah well Autumn is but a few weeks away but not before the usual teasing of a few cooler days . . . before the blast of Indian summer is unleashed . . . reminding us we are not quite done with yet . . . just like cooking something . . . we need a few more days of this . . . which then and only then, we can (maybe) look forward to cooler temps. But till then we must soldier on 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Busybee – your reasons for stress and distress are as valid as anyone else’s, but I’m pleased to see that you have found the strength to formulate a path forward. You should indeed take care of yourself right now, so that you are the healthiest and strongest version of you you can be, to support your OH. Hope that the results of his tests are good, meanwhile, know we are here to offer support.

Mariet – sorry you result this week wasn’t what you were hoping to see, but it does sound like there is fluid retention at play, so don’t be disheartened, I’m sure it will come right and show on the scales soon.

To close out my first week of being back with the 800/20, I can report a small discard of 1.5lb. Not huge, but this is my usual pattern of discard, so content to accept it. Brings me under target and contributes to the sought after wriggle room, so happy enough at this point.

Hopefully will see you all on the new weekly thread …..

• posted by Marsie
    on

: Amz, you have had many replies to your heartfelt post with much good advice. I empathise particularly with Verano’s measured and kind reply. Like everyone else I wish you the best in reaching your choice of goals and for your own sake. Everything else will follow from there.
    : Busybee, doesn’t sound like much of a breakout given that your thoughts must be in turmoil. Re-gather, without being hard on yourself. I’m so sorry that you have this worry for your beloved husband. Silly thing to say, I know, but don’t borrow trouble. Keep busy until the tests, then you’ll know what you need to plan. Meantime, maybe the BSD can be thought of as something in your control (and if you want to include a couple of wines a week, that’s your business).
    I wish I could do more, my virtual friend, than send you a virtual shoulder to lean on ❤
    : Heavens, is it Tuesday again? Having a Monday public holiday plays with my mind 😯
    Weighed in this morning at 62.7kg, the same as last Tuesday but given I was up to 63.4kg a couple of days ago, I’m not too unhappy. We’ll see what next week brings. Is there a new thread set up? I’ll go looking for it now.
    Thinking of you all x

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you both Marsie and SunnyB – it’s lovely to think that virtual friends can be so supportive.
    I am feeling much more positive today and drowning my sorrows in pints of water!!
    X B

• posted by Cookiemonsta
    on

Hi All,
    I’m sorry that I’ve not been here for a while. I’ve had a lot of horrible real-life stress to deal with recently regarding my autistic son, the utterly vile call-handlers at the DWP, my husband having more radiotherapy….all of it and I’ve not really wanted to talk to anyone to be honest.
    However, I’ve managed to keep up with my diet, which is amazing considering how utterly appalling I’ve felt, and to date have lost 24lbs. That’s in 6 weeks of sticking to 600-800 calories per day. Nearer to 800 most of the time. I’m really worried as to how I can maintain this lifestyle though as, unlike many, I feel totally crap all the time. I’m tired, I’m not sleeping well, have headaches, I feel dizzy and shaky…everything you associate with a crash diet to be honest and I don’t remember ever feeling this bad when I was restricted after my surgeries, in fact I was working and running around after a reception class…and I was severely restricted with my gastric band. Something, physiologically, is different and if I’m going to continue losing weight and ultimately maintain then I’m going to have to rethink. I went out for a walk yesterday, and I’d had my breakfast of 150 cals but I felt absolutely rotten and had to stop and sit down. I obviously hadn’t had enough to eat. I made the courgette fritters today which are on the Clever guts app. I calculated the calorie intake nearly 300 for just 3 of them. They were lovely but I’m starving now and have to try to calculate the rest of my intake to fall within 500 cals. I am just not finding any of the recipes very filling or satisfying regardless of the amount to vegetables or salad I add.
    My weight loss is great so far, but as I said, unlike the many who love the diet and feel great, I don’t and I think I’m going to have to increase my calorie intake slightly to allow for a low carb snack when my blood sugars are obviously dropping.
    Is anyone else struggling with 800 cals and if not have you any tips? At the moment I’m drinking plenty of water and black coffee, having no milk, very few carbs (only those in vegetables, other than potatoes, and salad), no bread, no pasta, no rice, no processed foods, no biscuits, crisps or anything else. Nothing. It’s just taking me a rather long time to feel great on this diet.
    Thank you,
    Helen.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi C/M/Helen – so sorry you are having such a tough time at the moment, it sounds like life is really conspiring to throw a lot of cr+p at you right now, but a huge well done for not turning to food to deal with it and I’m sure that has not been an easy path to tread. I hope you are through the worst of your real-life stresses and can find sometime for focusing on yourself.

The problem you have outlined on how you are feeling at week six on the BSD, is not one that I have experienced and I’m not sure I have read of anyone else going through the same either – though that is not to say they haven’t of course. I wonder if all you have been experiencing stress-wise, might be contributing to the physiological symptoms you have mentioned? You seem to be implying that you have before coped on a much more restricted diet quite successfully, however, it might be you do need a few more calories than the 800 at the moment and you don’t say what your daily carb intake is, so I wonder if you might have pushed this a bit too low for your body to cope with? Do you know what your daily carb intake is currently?

Remember that in maintenance you will be having more calories and a few more carbs too, so although this way of eating is a life style, the drastic restrictions of the Fast 800 you are struggling with right now will ease off. I sure others will be along with useful suggestions and you will be able to find a way forward, to allow you to continue to discard the pounds to target weight. Meanwhile, be gentle with yourself – it sounds like you need it.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Helen, what you are describing is apparently common if you are not getting enough salt. – Our bodies handle electrolytes differently on a high carb to low carb diet. – When carbs are high our bodies want to store water, when they are low they need to get rid of water and in the process get rid of electrolytes.
    Simply taking a pinch of salt a few times a day (a lot of people talk about using expensive salts but to be honest a pinch of table salt worked for me). The other option is to have some sips of pickle juice. Seriously. It strangely doesn’t taste bad.
    You have posted on one of the old threads, a new thread with one week at a time in its title and the date is set up each tuesday, so keep an eye out for the new one which will be created by one of the other regular posters in the next few hours if you need to ask for help from a wide audience. There is a mixture of newcomers and old hands on the thread each week.

• posted by Cookiemonsta
    on

Thank you both. To be honest I’m not sure what my exact carb intake is at the moment. It’s low as I’ve been in ketosis. I had read about electrolytes a few weeks actually and forgotten about the salt intake. I will try and up that.
    Many thanks x

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Good evening Helen! Just read your post and thought Id invite you to sit for a while with a coffee or tea and have a chat 🙂 Sounds like a really rough road youre on right now – and Im not sure there are too many of us would trade places . . . but we can hold your hand and lend an ear and shoulder when needed so please stay in touch when you can 🙂 Weight discard for 6 weeks is wonderful and congratulations on that result 🙂 Well done!!! Back to the questions and requests 🙂 May I suggest you GIVE YOURSELF something 🙂 I suggest you check the list of foods and select only those you like or would consider eating 🙂 Then sort some spices, flavours additives you like . . . and create some recipes of your own . . . not what is recommended for someone elses taste or simply ideas for those who arent creative or sure where to start 🙂 Maybe add some more protein to start your day . . . mushrooms, mini quiches, omelettes – breakfast doesnt have to be traditional 🙂 Quick and easy changes from anything time consuming to give you more time to de-stress and breathe 🙂 (I buy frozen atlantic salmon portions in a pouch and blitz them in microwave . . . add to hot vege or salads. Cauliflower chunks with chilli flakes and cheese . . . add a grilled pork chop or steak portion . . . and if the cals go a little over or under sobeit . . . its the carbs which seem to be the hidden culprit for many things. Be guided by those better n formed than myself . . . but Im sharing what got/gets me through my rough days which are just a breeze compared to what you are dealing with. Every strength to you as you inspire us to dig deeper and harder. Hugs and hope this has helped 🙂 Another cuppa . . .? Quack Quack . . .

Please log in or register to post a reply.