ONE WEEK AT A TIME – Beginning Jan. 22, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

It’s that time again, fellow Wallies! Tomorrow we have yet another weigh in, to punctuate our goals for the week. For
    those who have fallen silent this past week, please join us going forward. We miss you! I’ve completely lost track of how
    many months that we’ve been traveling together, but it always feels fresh and new to me…Newbies, those with so
    many accomplishments already sited, and fellow maintainers, this is our way of doing things, one week at a time!
    Lurkers and newbies, we are here to welcome you on board, so don’t hesitate to jump in and become part of the
    community. Congratulations to all for your victories this past week. Every one of them is fantastic 🙂

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks Allie ! Good to see weren’t ‘banned’ this Week 😉 ;–)
    Our very best wishes to everyone as we embrace short terms goals for this coming Week. Spring is coming folks , hang on in there !!!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Thanks for setting us up again, WAllie.
    Starting this week at 62.6kg. What have I been missing with my WOE? Suffice to say that I plan to plan this week. We will see what we shall see…….
    Go well, everyone.

• posted by Ollie34
    on

Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. I read the fast 800 book last week and have been reducing my calories since. Am now at 1000cals a day for the last 2 days. I weigh 113kg, which is a lot, though in 2014 I weighed 171kg, so I’m no stranger to dieting! But I’m so tired of being overweight and even though I was keto all last year I only lost 12kg. So I want to try this, I’d really like to lose 45kg. I am used to keeping my carbs low but not calories, 1000 is ok so far, hopefully 800 will be ok too.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Welcome Ollie and well done on a great loss over the last few years. You have certainly come to the right place to dispose of another 45k. WoodDuckie, I think, says you don’t want to ‘lose’ weight because that suggests you might want to ‘find’ it again! So she says ‘dispose of’’! Best of luck and enjoy the journey.
    My plan for this week is to start weighing and counting again because although I’m staying BSD friendly I’m not sure what my carbs/cals are. I’m so looking forward to getting back on the scales again soon!
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hello everyone Thank you Allie and Wendy for hosting again. And keep warm Allie! Sorry for being so quiet last week – I was lurking, and enjoying the posts and – in particular – Verano’s return home from hospital. Welcome Ollie and other newcomers.

I can report a 1.1kg loss last week, so now have 2 kilos to go to get back to my lowest weight, achieved with BSD last year. Ever since my BSD-starting-anniversary in late October I have been wrestling with a pesky couple of kilos that have taken the glitter off my BSD discard (thanks WoodDucky for the new vocab). So I shall press on this week with the goal of losing a bit more, drinking lots of water, and going to bed earlier! My aim is to be back in the 71 kilos by the end of February – back to my lowest weight in over 30 years….
    Wishing everyone lots of success in your goals this week.

• posted by Nee
    on

Hi Ollie,
    I started at 133kg two weeks ago-on a hangover mind. I’ve lost 9kg and a bit so far. So it can be done but your no stranger to that. You have already dropped so much weight and kept it off, that is soooo encouraging.
    Stick to it, and keep reading the forum -it is essential for me, keeps me on track!

Nee

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, ready for another week. Total loss of 3.75 lbs in 2 weeks. Will just have to keep on keeping on…

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI Everyone.Im at 86.5 kg today and Im really wanting to do 2 weeks strictly on plan as per MMs new book. The last two days I have been recording and measuring. Trying to keep my carbs under 50.I met an inspiring lady today when I joined some local people to start a walking group.This lady lost 18kg since last september using weight watchers online program. I was impressed with her positive attitude.So I will be walking with this group a few times a week.Also wanted to suggest to anyone feeling cabin fever from cold or in my case 40 degree heat.Go to your local shopping mall and stroll .Start on one side and walk to the end on all directions. use stairs if there is any just keep moving at any pace for a while you feel much better and comfortable in airconditioning/heating.Have a great week

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Started my Superfoods: Myths and Truth today. First quote ‘in scientific and medical terms there is no such thing as a superfood’. It is a marketing term used in the advertising industry. There are functional foods i.e. those that contain certain nutrients like berries contain antioxidants, foods containing iron etc. There is also a third category called nutraceuticals – manufactured food nutrients like vitamin C tablets, iron capsules. But, there is no such thing as a superfood.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good to hear of the losses this week. S-g you sound as though you are back in the zone again, great! Interesting start to your new course, will be interested to see how it pans our!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly, thanks to our powerhouse double act – Wendleg and Allie – for hosting this wonderful weekly thread again. Welcome to those new to the BSD and/or this thread and congrats to those who saw a loss last week and plan on building on that and to those not blessed with a loss last week, this is a new start and anything is possible.

Just wanted to say that I will be on board properly again from tomorrow, when I can weigh in and provide a starting point. Last week was a disrupted and iffy one for me and I’m not expecting to see a loss on the scales tomorrow. I am hoping I will be on or close to target weight though, so that last week wasn’t a complete write off.

As a plan going forward though, I plan to take it back to basics, weighing, measuring and recording all consumed. Have been coasting too long and I want to get serious about getting back that lost wriggle room again.

Here’s to a great BSD week for one and all ….

• posted by wendleg
    on

It’s great reading that everyone is in a positive frame of mind whether continuing or starting out.This way of eating requires commitment and determination and we’ve got that !
    Welcome Ollie34 ! Stay with us .Those kilos will soon be history. Shout out if you need any advice. Allie wll take you by the hand. She has a special affinity with anyone who is looking to discard a lot of weight. I am adopting ‘discard’ too, thank you WoodDuckie !

All the best Marsie .Are you looking for a target weight or maintaining ?

Well done caron ! I think I can just about remember being 70kg ( 11 stone) I will see how I feel at 12 stone to start with .That is a stone plus away. I sometimes wonder if I will recognise myself when I am substantially lighter. I like the way my dresses look, for sure but what I will look like in a couple of months ?? I am still very attached to my pesky “apron” !!

Keep going Nee. You have definitely got the right mind set ! Keep avoiding the pub 😉

Interesting what you said about superfoods sunshine -girl. I must admit I am a bit gullible and easily seduced by the term ‘superfoods’ ! I hope my antioxidant rich green tea is as good for me as I think !

You are determined too, Butterlover.I wish I coud motivate myself to get out walking but it’s too cold. I have re started aqua gym in a warm pool 😉

SunnyB…I am also interested to read how people who are at target or close to target still need to be very vigilant. I can’t imagine ever going back to high carb, processed foods but I can see how it is easy to over indulge even on ‘healthy’ foods.I used to make the most stupendous smoothies with frozen banana, oats, almond milk, nut butter, berries and seeds and any other fruits I had to hand ! I was not losing weight…funny that 😉 😉
    It’s really good to see you back with us V and I hope your mobility is improving so you won’t be tetering precariously on the scales !

I hope BSDers from last week’s thread come over to join us. We will be looking out for you !
    All the very best to one and all xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Happy Birthday JGwen !!!
    Just do whatever feels right for you today. Hibernation mode in front of the fire sounds perfect to me !
    I hope you manage to find your personal strategy for dealing with rude males ( I assume it was male condescending behaviour that upset you ?)

You are a true inspiration in your achievements and you are held in VERY HIGH REGARD on here .

• posted by alliecat
    on

Day 1, and one full of new beginnings for us all. Wiping the slate clean is always full of promise! 🙂
    Sunny, we are always walking about in each others shoes…I’m still looking for extra wriggle room, too! Knowing
    you will be with us always fills me with good cheer. And I’m glad that you and O/H are now feeling more like yourselves!

Butterlover, walking in the mall is something I used to do! We live in a new area now, but no reason why we can’t get
    more organized and return to this habit 3 x a week. Thank you for jogging my memory…I will do it!

Wendy, the apron is all but gone now! Have another look in the mirror, and see what I see…It’s always hard to be
    anything but subjective about ourselves..I see only my defects too…But there is a totally different reality looking
    back at you from the mirror. Look more closely! xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy Birthday JGwen!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Violinist you seem to have gone a little quiet lately. Hope all is well.

• posted by wendleg
    on

NEE !
    Step away from the champers ! Pour it into a plant pot , take it to the loo with you, give it to the cat/dog/hamster. No, don’t do that but…..don’t drink it !

You have had a magnificent start to BSD . It would be such a shame to hamper your progress . Maybe one drink won’t make a massive difference but it will stimulate your hunger for carbs.

It’s easy for me to say as I can’ t handle alcohol but yes, get O/H on board so you won’t be put into a situation where you offend by refusing to share.

Do you really want that glass of bubbly more than you want to be healthy ?

Sending positive teetotal thoughts 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, V. We have been wondering about Violinist . Hope you are well and can check in soon, Violinist.
    Julia/California girl is in New Zealand. Sigh …that sounds wonderful !! Hope you are having the time of your life, Julia !

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Today I weighed in at 165.8…. A little less than a pound loss.
    My goal for the weak is to stick strictly to BSD, avoid emotional eating, and complete the workout videos I found for myself.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Yikes! You guys are actually looking for me? I am here and currently preoccupied with climbing blood pressure issues. I get all these forums in my email so am keeping up with all of your great progress. I have stalled, but am still on it. Trying to get happy hour completely out of my sights, which makes me want to eat instead. I WIIL BE DONE BY FEB 1 with this struggle for wine!!!

I have had to go on bp meds and back and forth with doc and readings that won’t go down.

You guys rock!!!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Lovely to see so many here for another week!
    My plan this week is to continue on, be vigilant about inadvertent snacking, it seems to derail my progress even more than a glass of wine 🥺
    1.2 kg in 2 weeks, better than gaining but hardly setting the world on fire. This body is definitely guarding against the famine. Oh well, it has to let go sooner or later.
    Best wishes for a good week!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Thanks, Allie. Hello, All!
    Checking in stats:
    Began BSD on 1/17/19 at 198 lbs
    Less than a week later I’m at 194 lbs! I’m thrilled!
    Still going strong. Worked out at work and I’m about to do another easy 30 minutes on the stationary bike.
    I’m still firm on not eating any processed foods, candy, pastries but it still is odd to me to leave these things out. I know I’ll eventually learn to live without them.
    Hope everyone is doing well!
    Max.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Welcome, Ollie! I’m pretty new too and loving it.
    You’ll see results; that’s a promise.

Max.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi all, been lurking for a few days and decided to join in. I’ve been diabetic for over 7 years now and controlled by metformin and canafliglozin. Love reading all the success stories and looking for a bit of support and motivation.
    I started the blood sugar diet on 7th January 2019 so now in my third week. I’m finding it easier than expected although I’m not experiencing the rapid weight loss that the book suggests will happen. I lost 4lbs in the first week and 2lbs in the second week.
    My blood sugar readings are definitely much better and I’ve stopped taking the canafliglozin. It’s a relatively new drug and I was never happy taking it. I read on internet that it shouldn’t be taken when following a low calorie diet and could be dangerous (could cause ketoacidosis).That was enough info for me to stop it. I still have some left so can go back on it if necessary.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Scottishgirl, and welcome! It’s a great supportive group here.
    I’m fairly new as well.
    You might also want to look into intermittent fasting as part of your program. It may not be right for your situation but it’s got a lot of good benefits. I’m not diabetic so, it may be different for me but I eat my 800 in an 6 hour window then fast for 18 hours. It’s best to work your way slowly to the amount of fasting hours you do. Lots of good info on YouTube from Dr. Jason Fung, or The Diet Doctor.

Max.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Violinist sorry to hear about your BP problems but hopefully they will settle down quickly. Glad you are still with us.
    There has been lots of changing of conventional terms lately for instance WoodDuckie suggested we ‘discard’ weight rather than lose it which suggests we might try finding it again! I wonder about ‘happy hour’. What’s happy about it? Maybe we should rename it ‘wrecking’ hour because that’s what we do …. wreck our diet, wreck our liver, wreck our resolve! Nothing ‘happy’ about it really!
    Scottishgal welcome and just to let you know I became metformin free after I’d been diagnosed for 5 years and have now been ‘free’ for for 18 months. It is possible! Don’t worry too much about the rate you drop pounds we are all different so follow different paths but all get there in the end.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Wow Verano that’s brilliant…..and gives me hope. I read the book and it does have a lot of success stories but it’s even better to hear about them from “real” people.
    Thanks for the advice Maximin. I had thought about the fasting but decided to try and get used to the actual diet first. I am trying though not to eat between 9pm and 9am (altering the times as required but aiming for 12 hour fast)

• posted by alliecat
    on

I love Tuesdays! Reading stats and goals for everyone is always so inspiring 🙂 I’m delighted to see Nee and Max
    traveling with us again, too. A warm welcome to you, Ollie and Scottishgal. We’re glad that you found us!

I had a little snoozette this afternoon, and during that time the thread got busy 🙂 I’m so pleased to see many of the
    “usual suspects” here too. Those of you in the southern hemisphere, send us some warm weather, PLEASE! It’s
    -25C here in New England, and it’s cold! I’m wearing gloves in the house…Frigid air from Canada needs to blow in
    another direction for awhile! I always can find something positive in this, because my metabolism kicks into high
    gear and I burn more calories when it’s as cold as this 🙂 See you all in the morning.

Catherine (Violinist), sorry to hear that you’re having problems with your b.p. I hope they find the correct meds
    for you soon. xxx

Allie

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hahahah! Great to see the terminology thingy has caught on . . . lost, lose, drop , put aside, take off . . . all are/can be considered by our brain as negative in their meanings . . . why . . .? because there is a counter balancing act to them all. Lost . . ? We can be constantly – (even if subconsciously!) – be LOOKING FOR. Lose . . ? same. Put aside . . . one KNOWS its there and can always pick-it-up again. Drop – same – one can always pick up again. Put aside . . will be there waiting for later. Take-off . . .? One can always put on again. If we DISCARD it has the connotation of being gone for good. Discarded.
    and one more . . . I believe goal setting is fine in its place . . . having an idea of what we would like to do,where we would like to go, or be is great . . . BUT it can also set us up for disappointment and (seeming) failure . . . NO MATTER WHAT OUR OUTCOME!!! How many times do we read . . .” I achieved my goal . . . BUT!!!!!” and the “but” takes the edge off the gold medal we just attained . . . as per our GOAL setting. We ALL KNOW IF we have been true to ourselves . . . we all KNOW if we have cheated . . . thats why these forums work . . . its kinda like a community confession hall! The “goal” is to DO OUR BEST . . . be guided by the results . . . ACCEPT the surprises which result from what is clearly a positive path to health . . . and allow one day and one week at a time to be opened like a pass the parcel game . . . Maybe we can start a positive and negatives thread . . .? If any of this resonates with even a glimmer of interest, is anyone interested in what Ive discovered through simple Positive and Negative vocabulary over the years?

• posted by Violinist
    on

Verano, I love the new vocabulary!!! Wrecking hour it is!!!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello all, nice to see the good results coming through. Keep it going…
    Mariet, thank you for your kind thoughts on the other thread, appreciated. And good to see you’re slowly but steadily achieving your goals. Good, isn’t it, that your procedure wasn’t as horrible as imagined. But best of all….. Grandchild 💕 School hols here still, a 22°c & showery day, fairly unusual for summer here, so we took 10yo g/son to an indoor novelty mini-golf place. Such fun. He caned us😃
    Violinist, good luck with the bp, hope it settles very soon.
    wendleg, thanks for asking. I don’t usually do well with weight goals. I tend, like many others here, to self-sabotage. In my former fairly intense involvement with the forum I talked about fear of success so I won’t go into it now. Suffice to say I usually set behavioral statements which, if followed, should lead to weight being “discarded” (love the language!) .
    Sounds like a good walking group, Butterlover.
    Enjoy your week everyone x

• posted by Marsie
    on

For the couple of weeks I’ve been back on the forum I’ve not seen any sign of Busybee. I hope she is ok.
    Busybee, if you are hovering, maybe looking in every now and then, would you be in touch? Let us know how you are? Marilyn

• posted by Violinist
    on

Good morning from sunny Florida!

Wendleg, Allie, Verano, Marsie, Woodduckie, Sunnyb, everyone,, thank you for your concern about my bp. It is much better this morning after med adjustments! Also, weight is discarded this morning and wrecking hour was successful with water and a light snack at 5 pm. Feeling the love with this group!

Catherine

• posted by Littlesamson
    on

Started the fast800 sat 12th jan, after being concerned that BG level might be to high at 9. Worried that weight lose might be too much, but so far 11lbs in 12 days. Both me and my wife are following the 800 calories using the recipes, they are tasty and dont leave us hungry and strangely no cravings. Fasting BG level this morning was 5.5…. We are planning to keep on the 800 diet for as long as we can, upto 12 weeks. I have about 4 stone to loose to get even near a reasonable BMI, I cant think of getting to 11 stone as as an ex rugby player i am a big guy anyway

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow!! Can hardly believe the number of posts that have been made since I checked in here yesterday!
    Scottishgal – welcome aboard and well done on getting to week three. Don’t panic about the slower fall of the pounds – any loss is a loss and therefore a step in the right direction. Sadly some of us – me included – are by nature slow to lose (discard) the pounds. We just have to accept that this is how our bodies work and that if we stick with the BSD and keep those carbs low, that it WILL happen. It just might take longer for us to hit target weight. Stick with us and we’ll do all we can to get you to end goal.
    Welcome also to you Littlesamson – that’s a great result and hope you will be reporting in and sticking with us. It’s okay to stay on the Fast 800 until you hit target weight and I’d advise being open to adjusting what you envisage as your goal weight. You might find that once you get to what you thought of as your target, you are prepared to press on and discard a little more.
    Violinist – pleased to read that you BP is responding.
    Marsie – good to see you back with us. Hope you’ll be sticking with us and look forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Yes Allie, we seem to be treading the same path – hope you are able to grab back some wriggle room this week, as I know like me, you are getting back to basics. Really hope the weather will break there soon and you can get warm again.

Anyway, I’m checking in properly today now that there is a new battery in the bathroom scales and am happy to say that I was dead on target weight when I climbed on them this morning. This fills me with hope of clawing back some proper wriggle room again. As stated yesterday, I have my serious head on again and have been weighing, measuring and recording all consumed today. Going okay so far and have to say, it feels rather good to be more disciplined again.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Keep going Amz ! It’s all good. That’s a good plan to avoid the emotional eating. Try to think of food as nourishment and investment for your future health . It can’ t be any more than that. As I mentioned before, food is just food, it hasn’t got any super powers and you can be stronger and take control rather than feeling food is controlling you.
    You can do it Amz ! It’s a difficult time of year to maintain a positive mood but eating healthily and making the right choices will pay off long term and you will be looking FABULOUS in your vintage dress !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Lovely to see some new people posting . Welcome welcome to our friendly Community . We look out for each other on here and noone judges. Stick with us and as SunnyB, WoodDuckie and of course Allie have said, the programme works and the commitment is worth it. The cravngs will ease as you progress and you will find yourselves reaching for healthy low carb options without a second thought .
    All the very best. Everyone sounds very determined and that is brilliant !

• posted by Violinist
    on

Sunnyb makes me laugh!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad to be of service, Violinist!

Interesting outcome of really getting back to basics today, which has shown me that I have definitely been coasting and so it should not be surprising real weight loss has not been happening! Calories have come out a tad over 1000 and carbs a tad under 40g. VERY SOBERING!!!

So obviously from tomorrow I need to pull both those figures down, but especially the carbs as to be in full weight ‘discarding’ mode, I know I need to be around the 20g mark – 50% less than today. Serious work to be done it seems.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi littlesamson! I’d like to welcome you and your wife to the community, also. 🙂 This is a busy thread, and an
    excellent place to get to know those of us who travel here at all stages of the journey. The fact that the 2 of
    you are undertaking this together will give you one more experience to share. So many have gotten their
    BGL under control and have reversed their diabetic status! Others of us have been wildly successful at losing
    all number of stones..I left 10stone by the roadside..It took me 10 months of strict 800cal.20g. carbs to do it,
    but worth every minute of it. The miracle has been to keep it off for 21 months. You can take this anywhere
    you would like to go, so settle in, and shout if you h ave any questions or concerns, and someone will soon be
    along to help. Best to you!

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome Littlesamson and wife. Enjoy your journey!
    You made me smile Violinist! Hope tonight’s ‘wrecking hour’ is just as successful.
    WoodDuckie it’s always good to hear tips to help change our way of thinking or ways of thinking that are just sabotaging our efforts that could be altered. Pooling them all in one place is a good idea.

• posted by Violinist
    on

You bet, Verano!!! ETA Wrecking hour 2 hours, 15 minutes and I MEAN IT!!!!

• posted by alliecat
    on

HaHaa, Catherine! Hold your ground 🙂 You can do it! I know you can !!!

• posted by Cookiemonsta
    on

Hi,
    Another newbie here. I was following the diet a while back but fell off the wagon. I love my food and I was brought up on big hearty home-cooked carb-laden meals consisting of stews, shepherd’s pie, rich casseroles, etc., and I really struggle with salady stuff all the time. I’m not a big sweet eater and can take or leave puddings but I do like my snacks such as crisps, cheese, etc. I have also struggled with my alcohol intake over the years and that has weakened my resolved in terms of stuffing myself with crisps whilst chugging vodka and Diet Coke (note “diet” 🤣). It’s all wholly emotional, going back many years. I’ve also had two bariatric surgeries, losing 9 stone, regaining 5. Life is a lifelong diet.
    I’m back on it though. I started on LighterLife Total two and a half weeks ago, but struggled with the foodpacks. I hated the taste of the savoury packs and that made me really miserable so I’m now following an 800 cal plan using up the foodpacks I’d already bought for breakfast and lunch and then having a home-cooked LL recipe meal for dinner. It’s much better. So far I have lost 13lbs and been dry since 7th Jan. When the LL foodpacks run out I intend to fully follow the 800 plan. I’m not over the cravings yet. I still struggle, particularly in the evenings, and I don’t want carrot sticks or such-like.
    It’s a difficult journey, as usual, but one I need to follow.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Cookie !
    I really felt for you reading your post and sympathize with your struggles. It’s a lot to deal with : addressing the emotional issues around food and also committing to a way of eating which you can sustain long term. For me that means real food and hopefully when the Lighter Life packets are used up you can join us on BSD. You will find lots of support and very useful advice on here and people are always willing to share their experiences. If you stick with us and gently adjust your food choices to low cab/healthy fat and moderate protein you will find the cravings will ease and you can begin to win the battle. It doesn’t have to be just salads ! You can find low carb options of those hearty, home cooked meals .Check out the recipes on dietdoctor.com .How much weight do you want to discard ? (that’s what we say on here 😉 ) Keep reading the forum threads and stay with us . There are lovely people on here who find alcohol a challenge so you are not alone. You can take back control, believe me !
    All the very best to you

• posted by Verano
    on

Cookiemonsta Welcome! I agree with all Wendy’s advice. You have already pinpointed your weak points so that’s a start. There’s no reason why you have to give up stews and shepherd pie in exchange for salads. Shepherds pie tastes just as good with a mashed cauliflower topping. There’s a thread dedicated to cauliflower just search in the box top right hand side. Stews are fine with lots of vegetables that grow above the ground and chilli with cauliflower rice.
    Wendy has pointed you towards Dietdoctor which had some great graphics of low to high carb foods. Maybe if 800 calories is too low you could start at 1000 and work down. Also it really is the carbohydrates that are the key to this way of eating. It’s possible to be relatively low calorie but high carb. A medium apple for instance can contain as many as 19g of carbs. Take a look at myfitnesspal of Fatsecret, my favourite, either app or computer program, and that will help you with the calorie/carb content over foods and also allow you to log your intake.
    MM doesn’t recommend a daily carb level but less than 50g a day is the preferred amount unless you are very insulin resistant when you might need to drop that figure to less than 20g a day. Must admit I’ve never been able to go that low.
    Anyway you have found yourself in the best place with lots of people here who have had similar problems and overcome them. Just shout if you need help.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Good early Florida morning folks! I wish you all could be here. The weather is sunny and glorious this time of year!

Warning, long theraputic novel for myself below.

Cookkimonsta, sounds like you have been working on this all your life and have succeeded in the losing, but not the maintaining. I am beginning to see that is the hardest part. Also, the alcohol is an issue for me too.

Both my husband and I grew up in a household where at 5 pm my dad came home from work and us 10 kids and my mom sat in the living room and talked while they had cocktails. Then as we turned 18, my parents would include us on the holidays. Fast forward to me as a young mom, I rarely had wine or beer from age 20-40. I could not afford it, was too busy with 4 children by age 26, and was dealing with an alcoholic husband until 34, when I left him and took my 12,11,9, and 7 year old with me to attend college. At 40, when I graduated and started my career as an accountant, I met my current, wonderful hubby. He wined and dined me and we were married. Now I was coming home from my job and sitting down for cocktails before dinner with hubby hecause that is what our parents did. In fact, as a hobby, we made wine and beer for 20 years together and drank it like water after work. Or shall I say, we drank it instead of water!

I always weighed about 130 at 5’4”. Here we are today, retired from a wonderful career, fighting wrecking hour (happy hour) and weighing in this morning at 169 at age 62, almost 63. To be fair to myself, even at 26 yrs and 110 pounds, I had high cholesteral (300). But I did not have high blood pressure etc. The good news is that I know with Fast 800, I can lose the weight and probably lower the blood pressure and keep the a1c down. The challenge is fighting the habits and history of the past, and once I am successful, maintaining that balance.

Let’s do this together, shall we?
    Thanks for reading this, if you got thru it. I have never really wrote all this down before, but thought it would be theraputic for me to really look at what is going on.

Catherine

• posted by Kkdub
    on

Good morning all,

I bought the BSD book last year, read it and put it down. I think I’m probably on the way to being diabetic, I’m certainly overweight and need to shed around 3 stone so the book has come back out and I’ve registered on the site. I eat pretty healthy but at this time of the year its comfort food and stodge, fruit sits in the bowl! – My biggest downfall is beer, I love it and there’s so many craft bars where I live, I find it difficult to nurse a low cal tonic when chums are enjoying a pint, BUT, I plan on embracing the diet and making this work. I swim a couple of times a week and have a couple of dogs so I do get exercise but with spring on the way I plan on stepping that up.
    I look forward to joining in the conversation and sharing the journey with everyone . . . . . . .

Karen

• posted by Kkdub
    on

Hi Catherine

Very envious of you in the sunshine, its a chilly start to the day here in Blighty!! – like you I think alcohol is an area I have to crack, I can go days without it but if I get a taste and its good then I can easily get through 3/4 pints and that s a lot of calories, trouble is when we go out its mostly to pubs or bars, but as you say, we can do this!!

best wishes
    Karen

Please log in or register to post a reply.