ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning April 2nd 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we are again folks, continuing this friendly, supportive, weekly thread set up originally by Verano and maintained by Allie and SunnyB.
    Feel free to join us…whether you are starting out and looking for advice or if you are in need of ongoing support and motivation as you proceed.There are some very experienced maintainers on here who will offer invaluable advice and answer any queries you may have.We are a friendly bunch !

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Morning! Jumping onto the thread, thank you so much for doing this! Looking forward to picking up lots of advice and tips in my first week. 💚

• posted by Custardcrumble
    on

Morning all! Some good news, it looks like my plateau may have ended after what felt like a very long 3 1/2 weeks! Steady, small, daily drops since Friday, so I’m very happy. Not going to hit my initial target but have mentally adjusted to a new one which i may get to by the end of 8 weeks (this Friday).
    Also found a great veggie burger recipe yesterday (mainly mushrooms & cauli rice with a little ground almond to bind it). Spiced it up nicely and added some beans and made Mrs CC very happy! Looks like the ideal mixture to form a crumble topping for some veg tonight too!
    Sunny morning, daily discard and something yummy for tea… should be a good day!
    CC

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Good Morning,
    end of week four for me. Lost 800g since my Friday weigh in which I’m really happy with rice I’ve not been to the loo again since Saturday. Uff.

so here are my 4 week stats:
    weight lost 8kg ! or 17 1/5 lb or 32 packs of butter.
    waist reduced by 6.5 cm
    hips by 5cm
    and spare tyre / michelin / muffin by 5cm.
    lots of front side and back boob lost too, although i would have preferred this to be redistributed to my actual breasts, I’m not complaining.

Pleased with the results. I’m feeling healthier, sleeping better( mainly) and have started running ( and walking ) again. I hope to get up to 5km running by the weekend. legs are looking pretty hot especially if you don’t look at the fat old lady knees.

What now.
    my initial goal was to lose another 2 to 3 kg. I’m sticking with that but really want to tone up too.
    My core is very weak and i often suffer back pain. so time to focus on that. Any advice about what’s worked for you ? It has to be something i can do at home.

For the last couple of weekends I’ve had a little wine and been eating a couple of hundred calories more. No beige carbs but a bit of fruit etc. I’m very active at the weekend and easily burn these off. For me it just works better, fits in better with family life and I feel i can enjoy lunch out. I’m drinking less wine.
    I want to try a 24 hour fast.

I need to drink more water at the weekend as I’m sure this is the cause of my constipation but maybe its the extra carbs I’m consuming?

We are going to our house in Spain in a couple of weeks and this is going to be a real challenge

• posted by Squidge
    on

Morning!

I’ve had quite a few social events lately, as well as a couple of long weends working away and have consumed far more carbs than usual. As a result I’ve put on some weight. Nothing too drastic as long as I get back on track right now and don’t go back to my pre BSD habits.

I’ve done a big shop of healthy foods and will go back to meal planning. I find that helpful as I look forward to the low carb meal, rather than thinking about grabbing a sandwich or something else easy but carry.

Skipping through the Tulips – not drinking enough water could well be the cause of your problem. I experience the same thing if I don’t drink enough.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I too have had social events and cross with myself for a small gain but I got back on it yesterday and already lost 1lb so should be back to 2 weeks ago weight within a few days. I still have just over 2 weeks before my holiday starts so hoping for 2 / 3 kgs loss. Today I am going out looking for new casual clothing, some trousers and tops for walking around during the day time visits to many countries. No point waiting, so I will buy for the body I have not for the body I want, did that last year and still got brand new jeans that I cant fasten up. Will look for more evening wear when I get over to the UK and have the likes of Mango, H&M, Debenhams etc. If this is your first or 2nd week then good luck and a big hello to everyone else (yet to join in).

• posted by Squidge
    on

I think you’re right to get clothes for the body you have – but just what you absolutely need and promise yourself more once you’ve lost weight.

Once I got to my initial target I gave all my bigger clothes to charity shops, so now everything fits, but if I put on more than a few pounds I’ll have nothing to wear. I’m not buying anything in a bigger size ever again!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi all, I have had a great week for discarding weight.

At the end of the last 8 week round I weighed 86.6kg. I decided to carry on as I’m comfortable with 800 calories, as long as I don’t weigh myself every day. The ups and ups are dispiriting, more than the downs are rewarding.

7 days later I am 85kg, and 3cm less around my waist. That happened 3 days ago, and coincided with taking up running for 30 minutes every 2nd day.

Well it’s walking for 90 seconds, running for 60, repeat for half an hour. Then stretching and cool down.

It’s raining today so I’m waiting for a break to go out again today.

CC your burger sounds delicious, how would that work with a hefty portion of ground walnut?

I have been trying on some clothes that still don’t fit me (thighs still could lose inches), and haven’t for years. I haven’t had a thorough clear out; otherwise they would have been gone!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi all I am finding the forums on here very helpful indeed. I am on day 2 and rather than the lack of number two’s I have have been the opposite which is good as it must mean all the crap I had put in is going and I am drinking enough water. I have found that today should not have been the day I had my full English as it is high in calories and I am already on over 600 hundred after breakfast and lunch! I will only have this at weekends when we are supposed to only have two meals. I also jumped on the scales and even though I don’t believe it it said I had dropped 7lbs already🤣. I am loving the food on here and I have consumed less calories in two days than I would have in just one day before I started. I have not had any alcohol and I intend not to have any for at least two weeks! My partner loves nothing more than a few pints on a Friday night and I have always joined him! Liquid bread has caused me to put on 2stone in a year and a half, so it is now gone for good I hope! I do love a pint though. Crisps is another of my nemesis so I will look forward to trying one or two of the Parmesan crisps from here next week. You guys are amazing and I thank you for being here. This is the first diet I have ever seen as a lifestyle change rather than a chore! I have two dogs and I am now walking them regularly again. They haven’t been massive walks but I do have a busted knee at the mo. I was also wondering if anyone on this plan works nights? I only work two a week but it would be a great help if anyone could give me hints with the upside down waking hours. Thanks again Birdy x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Some good results being posted here – well done everyone. C/Crumble, great that you are ff that plateau and don’t worry about readjusting your goal – you can always revise again at a later date.
    I’m counting it as a plus that I have neither gained nor lost over the last week. We have several social events this week, so if I can keep my weight static between now and our leaving for Turkey on 12th April, I’ll be very content.
    Wish a brilliant BSD week to one and all

• posted by alliecat
    on

Birdy, what kitchen appliances are available at night? Frig. or microwave?

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Fridge and microwave thankfully. I did think that some of the sweet treats would help during my shift (only one of course) as my body craves it as it should be asleep! What say you? Luckily my work is very psychical so it helps with boredom eating. Birdy x

• posted by Ria-tor
    on

Hi
    Been awhile since I checked in. Week 4 I didn’t discard and day 1 of week 5 I had alcohol for the first time since starting this WOE and what was intended to be 1 glass of wine turned into full on party mode with cocktails and shots. I also had alcohol a couple of other nights. I stuck with the food plan until this weekend when I did have a few processed carbs and excessive amounts of chocolate. So I started week 6 yesterday 3.5lbs up though I’ve already discarded a couple of those when I weighed this morning.
    What was interesting was noting the way I felt after consuming those things. My constant hunger and cravings were back this weekend and some orange juice made me feel really quite bad on Saturday. Apart from bathroom issues I feel so much better with this WOE. No more social events for me for the foreseeable!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Skipping, for an easy and unexpectedly challenging ab exercise you can do at home, try stomach vacuuming. Stand up straight, feet shoulder-width apart, inhale. As you exhale slowly, let your shoulders drop forward a little and your pull in your stomach. Hold it in, like you’re pulling your navel to your spine. Raise your pelvic floor (the muscle you use to cut off the flow of urine), tighten your gluteal muscles, keep sucking in your stomach. Do all of these together for as long as you can before you have to take another breath. I count to ten.

Release your muscles when you inhale. You might be panting because holding contracted muscles is actually really hard work even though you’re not even moving an inch. When you’re ready, do it again. I do them in sets of six three times a day, but I find myself doing random ones here and there when I’m washing my hands in the bathroom or while waiting for something to heat up in the kitchen, etc. It’s kind of fun. 🙂

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Hello… I’m checking in this week.
    I’ve been gone several weeks, off WOE pretty much the whole time, intaking alcohol, sweets,and carbs with discrimination.
    The results? Today I weighed in at 166. I’ve been sick for the past couple weeks. I’ve run into stomach troubles. My migraines and insomnia are worse. I haven’t exercised for almost a month because I have no energy. All my new lovely dresses are tight. I feel horrible.
    I’d like to get back physically, mentally, and emotionally to where I was at the beginning of last month. I have allowed certain stressors to get the best of me and I greatly regret it. I am not sure I will be able to start back into my workout right away with how I’m currently feeling, but my goal is to cut out all carbs and sugars. Even if I can’t get back down to my usual 800 calories/20 carbs this week, but I’m certainly aiming for BSD choices.
    A quick search for my name revealed all your worries and well wishes so I want to apologize for disappearing so suddenly. I’ll try harder to keep in mind all the support and love I get from this forum in the future.

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hey all long timers and newbies! So I have had 2 x good days so far… planning another early night as I have already finished my cals/carbs (797/20).
    I have decided to carry the electronic scales with me to work so I can check the weights of some foods as for example, I have estimated the chicken drumsticks I had at lunch were medium and then looked up cals/carbs on MFP. They could have been small or even large.. either way it could make a big difference.. so I might try to do that and narrow the margin for error.. and I know every little bit counts. I brought a spoons measuring set with me to measure my milk so why not go the whole hog and bring the kitchen scales too!
    I seem to be over 500kcal by end of lunchtime so need to do something to bring this down to 400 or at least 450 so I can have a reasonable meal in the evening. A little more planning is needed I think.. also any ideas on VLC breakfast ideas/lunch ideas would be great!
    I did have 10 peanuts as a snack to keep me going, but then I thought that maybe this was a mistake and I shouldn’t snack, is that right? When you are on the Fast 800 does it matter when you eat? I seem not to be able to last the 12 hours recommended, but if you feel that it is important I will try harder.
    I don’t think I have been drinking enough and I certainly haven’t been peeing that much compared to other starters.. I am drinking around 2ltrs but I am exercising too so I probably need more, I may try if possible to up it to 2.5ltrs as it seems the more the better.
    So they are my 2nd day thoughts/questions – I am looking forward to the 3rd day and looking forward to my bed! A huge well done to everyone on here, as someone who is just starting out on this WoE your success stories are really inspiring. Thank you one and all!

• posted by wendleg
    on

AMZ !!!!!!!!!!!! There you are !!
    We are so relieved to see you back with us . So sorry you are feeling unwell.Was that a consequence of the alcohol/sugar and carbs or were your migraines and insomnia already present ?? It’s a vicious circle, : you feel rubbish so you eat rubbish and on it goes.
    You can break the cycle Amz and you have shown great strength and detemination in the past .You you can be there again. I do believe that to be consistent in your progress you need to address the emotional issues .Your mindset is sabotaging your efforts right now. We have all been there and it’s a very real struggle.

Would it help you to read a few books I found interesting ?
    « The Beck Diet Solution »
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0848732758?pf_rd_p=1581d9f4-062f-453c-b69e-0f3e00ba2652&pf_rd_r=VKBFHM4FV11KWTQEPS5B
    Anything by Zoe Harcombe.. Both address the problems of emotional eating .

I feel you are constantly battling wth the stress demons and until you can find some inner calm and coping strategies it will be difficult. Kafin13 has been struggling too and maybe it would help to share your experiences ?

You know we care about your well being Amz and we have celebrated with you and been there in your down times. Plan some healthy BSD meals, banish the carbs and sugars and you will hopefully feel better and energized and ready to resume your exercise.
    Try not to wait too long until you post ,Amz however you are feeling .We will always be ready to offer any support you may need. Take care xx

on

Esnecca, for a moment I thought you were suggesting I get the Hoover out! Never heard of stomach vacuuming but going to start right now.
    Thank you

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

So glad you are back with us Amz but sorry to hear you’re not keeping too good. Been thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. I know from previous posts that you have a lot of stress in your life at the moment so don’t be hard on yourself. You come across as a strong person so I’m sure you’ll soon get back to where you were and fitting into those lovely dresses again. Maybe you just need a short break from WOE to deal with other things. Either way keep posting whenever you can and know that you have a lot of good friends on here who care. First and foremost look after yourself x

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

That’s great news Patricia. Well done. Sounds like you’ve mastered it!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Skipping, I would not advise rudimentary lipo via household appliance. 😉 Really all you’re doing with stomach vacuuming is pushing out air by clenching your abdominals. So you’re creating a “vacuum” and holding it for a ten count, then letting air back in, then pushing it back out, etc. It’s a great way to strengthen your core when you have a dodgy back because there is no potentially injurious movement involved. You can also do it seated. Once you’ve done it a few times, you’ll quickly start finding that you can clench more muscles harder for longer. I pull in my upper abdominals and obliques as well, for example. Bend your arms 90 degrees and clench your fists tightly to add a little bicep and forearm toning.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi – I feel for you, Amz and know that awful feeling that you’re having right now. I too am struggling and every day, I vow to do better the next day but there are forces against me right now that are stringer than just having some willpower. I’m on anti-depressants and thought that I would be at least starting to feel the effects by now but they started me on a lower dose and having had a huge amount of experience in this (many different meds, many different times in order to find something that doesn’t give me horrible side effects), I’m realizing I’m under-medicated. I need to sleep right now about 15 hours a day which is not normal for me, so I know that’s the depression and I haven’t left the house in four days. I make myself shower every day but that’s about it. And I am overeating – because I can’t/won’t/whatever leave the house, I’m using what I have which is good food since when I started this, I cleared everything out and it’s just me living here. But, I’m overeating because I’m very isolated, lonely and full of pain and food has always been my soother.
    So today, after struggling with my mood and trying desperately to have some control, I’ve increased my dosage. I’ve had this medication before so rest assured everyone, I’m doing it safely! This is what I would normally start at but the goal was to see if a lower dose reduced the side effects. It did, but it’s at the cost of my mental health. So, I’m hoping to see a change over the next few days. I have a massive challenge ahead next week as I have to go to Vegas for a conference and interact all day long with people as well as evening client dinners. An introvert’s worst nightmare!! I’m taking my yoga online classes, my Spanish homework and getting ready to tell people “no” when they want me to go hang out after I’ve spent all day with them!
    I don’t know what you’re specifically struggling with, Amz, but maybe we can do this together and check in on each other?

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Skipping, your discards are remarkable, well done!

Scottishgal, lovely to hear from you as always. Hope your week is going well and the nuts are still in the cupboard!

Kafin, sounds like Las Vegas will be very involving; you may be running on adrenaline for a while but need to rest even if there are demanding people around. But you have planned for success. You know we are all rooting for you.

• posted by Skinnytish
    on

Hello everyone!
    My goodness this is a busy post with great discard’s, well done Patricia 1066 and skipping. Custardcrumble I sympathize and empathize on the plateau as I had been at a standstill for 3 week!! Sunshinegal I also had a social weekend and found that the wine has clearly decided to sit on my hips. This is the first time I have actually cheated in the 7 weeks I have been on this WOE . Although the discard has been slow only 4.5kg down I am feeling fantastic. The girls and I have started our countdown as my O/H will be home in June. He works in the middle east and we will not have seen him for a year. I am hoping to have discarded more and be leaning more to skinny Tish . Have a super rest of the week.

• posted by Cherrysoup
    on

Morning all, I’m a newbie to this forum but glad I’ve found you brilliant lot!! I’ve been doing the fast 800 for 2 weeks with 8lb discarded so far. First week was great but the second week was much slower. I have Hashimoto’s and was worried that my metabolism had crashed and burned as my resting heart rate dropped significantly after a few days and I got freezing cold but I seem to be ok and have decided to continue but will be wearing a jumper 🙂 Would love to hear from anyone else who is Hypothyroid and successful!
    I’ve decided breakfast isn’t necessary for me so don’t start eating until lunchtime, and try not to eat after about 8pm, and finding the changes in eating quite ok so far! I suppose the thing that scares me is that one day I’ll have an urge to eat something off plan and that will send me into a spiral of total “off plan-ness” but I have a holiday to look forward to in July and really want this to be the year where I let people take photos of me as I think I’ve realised at the great age of 47 how selfish it is not to join in with everything the family is doing.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Kafin, thank you for connecting with Amz. I feel totally unqualified and fairly helpless to help you both apart from offering as much support as possible on the forum. You are both very brave women and I hope you can find a stategy to get you through these tough times xx

on

Hi there, good to see so many newbies joining in with us along with returners and us old timers (what, me old, never). I had my shopping spree yesterday but not much of a spree. I managed to get one pair of dark blue jeans, 2 pairs of chinos, one coral one cream, 2 t-shirts in colours that will match the chinos and a soft light-weight jumper. Total cost €52 – so I wont mind if I have to discard them when (not if) I lose more weight. Next purchase is via Amazon – a flapper dress for a party night on the cruise. I have enough evening dresses but will only need 2 with me as the other dinner nights are smart/casual. I refuse to take too much with me this time as there are washing machines and dryers on board but I dont like to wear the same dress or top twice. All a bit frivolous when some of you are struggling but I hope you are all coping fine. My worry that I have not aired yet, is that my husband is back with the cardiologist on the 13th and he might tell us to cancel our holiday. Fingers crossed that wont happen. Hey ho, lets just keep on keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

I hope all goes well with your hubby’s cardiologist appointment Sunshine and it doesn’t affect your travel plans.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Your O/h returning in June is a fantastic incentive Skinnytish ! Stay focused …he will be amazed !

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Seven weeks ago, I was a UK size 20 and weighed 16st 3lbs.
    Today I weigh 14st 13lbs and have been able to get into size 16 clothes, though they are still just a bit too small. Colleagues at work have noticed my weight loss, we had lovely spring sunshine over the weekend and it is much easier to walk than it used to be as I don’t get breathless or pains in my calves like I used to.

The past two weeks have been a struggle though. I’ve been eating the bulk of my daily calories by lunch time, and have still felt hungry in the afternoons. The biscuit tin at work was raided one day. By the time I get home from work, I can’t be bothered cooking or eating so have wasted a lot of food. Except for the biscuit blip, I am not eating anything that isn’t part of the WoE, and I am still in ketosis according to my keto stick test this morning.

Breakfasts are typically yoghurt, frozen berries and 20g porridge (to keep me fuller for longer, I am even worse if I don’t have it and I don’t have diabetes), lunch is cold chicken, cheese, eggs with salad (not all at once!) and I have 10 almonds for emergencies that are always eaten just after breakfast 🙁 My appetite is definitely suppressed in the evenings, but not so in the afternoons when I could eat everything in sight. I was doing okay until the tummy bug two weeks ago, and I think my body has been trying to recover the calories I lost from then. I hate feeling hungry, it’s the main reason my previous diets have failed. I don’t have time to cook eggs before work on weekdays, but can’t think of anything else filling enough to sustain me until I get home.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Cherrysoup !
    I am sorry I don’t know anything about Hashimoto’s and thyroid issues but I am sure that someone will be along to share their experience as there are lots of knowledgeable people on here.
    You have made a great start so stay focused and you will get where you want to be.
    I have to react to your comment :
    I suppose the thing that scares me is that one day I’ll have an urge to eat something off plan and that will send me into a spiral of total “off plan-ness”
    You will find that as you continue on the programme your cravings for sugar, carbs etc will ease and you will be able to pass them over without any feelings of deprivation.There is no need to be fearful.You can be in control , food doesn’t have to control you.You will feel empowered being able to happily refuse and resist any ‘off plan’ foods. Think positively ..you are making the decision to improve your health so don’t allow anything to trip you up .

• posted by Cherrysoup
    on

Thanks Wendleg! I really don’t want to fail this time, I’ve spent so many years in a yo yo situation, but never managed to get rid of more than about 3 stones (could do with another 3 after them!). This time I am determined to get past that barrier and keep it that way!!

on

avisamuelgrey, first of all a great big week done on what you’ve achieved so far.

Maybe that´s just the way your body works and you could eat the bulk of your calories at lunch time and breakfast, leaving just a small snack for the evening. I wouldn’t worry about whether something is traditionally eaten at breakfast or not. who says you can’t have bolognaise or whatever for breakfast. It matters that you enjoy it and feel satisfied. Maybe you need to fill up a little more at each meal? Have you tried soup in a flask for lunch? it really fills me up and I have a huge portion. You could cook a batch at the weekend and freeze some. I sometimes get hungry about 6pm which is when i would usually start piggyout. I have a heaped teaspoon of brasilnut butter which I eat really really slowly ( god that sounds so sad .)

I’m sure your body has been affected by the bug. You’ve done really well and this is not always easy ( not for me anyway). Try a few tweaks with your meals and just keep on keeping on. You’ve dropped two dress sizes and are doing great.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Cherrysoup,
    One thing that has helped a lot of us is to have a strong WHY for following this Way of Eating. – Its all very well having a target on the scales, but that is something we only see once a day and in private. – Having something you really want to do and the weight is a limiting factor, or having somewhere you want to go looking the best you can is a much stronger inspiration. When the days happen (and they always do) that you fall off the waggon there will be people here to help you dust yourself down and climb back on.

• posted by Cherrysoup
    on

Thanks so much JGwen, you really are a lovely lot! I have one big goal in mind – when we go on holiday this summer there is an amazing zip wire that goes down mountains and through forests in Vietnam. The truth is I will NEVER have the guts to get on this zip wire but for once in my life I want to be able to consider it and turn it down (or who knows?) because I’m too scared, not because I have no option because of my size!!! I want to show my 3 lovely girls that they can do anything and be who they want to be and not be limited. I have 15 weeks before we go, so if I can do another 10 weeks of fast 800 and then move to intermittent fasting then it is totally possible. I’ll keep coming here and get support and hopefully support others as I go too!

• posted by alliecat
    on

A very warm welcome to you, Cherrysoup. I think that setting up your daughters to do whatever interests
    them in life without fear is a lofty ideal. Please don’t be restrained by the fact that the Fast800 is predicated
    upon 8 weeks. You can take it anywhere you wish to go. I followed it strictly for 10 months, and there is another
    great friend of this community that has done it for 14 months. The options are all yours. Enjoy the journey,
    and it’s an adventure that we all come here to share. Best,

Allie

• posted by Cherrysoup
    on

Thanks Allie, I shall take it as it comes and see where it takes me, hopefully a long way!!

on

Cherrysoup, your goal really made me smile- i can see you flying above the treetops.
    Esnecca, i was tempted to give the dyson a try until i read your reply. I am vacuuming as i type and have even tried it whilst driving but that seemed a little risky. My kids also noticed the strange face i was pulling too, sort of surprised. Anyway freezing your fat seems to be all the rage now but i still haven’t figured out the logistics.

on

I did the tree climbing thing – in France it is accrozarbre – which loosely translated to acrobatics in the trees. Lots of climbing and hazards and then to get down you have do the zip wire. I am terrified of heights but felt safe in my harness so I did it screaming all the way down. At 66 I am not too old for anything.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Cherrysoup, I don’t have Hashimoto’s but I have only half a thyroid after surgery many years ago and am on replacement thyroxine. I haven’t had any problems at all, lost 50lb fairly smoothly (never fast enough) and have been maintaining for more than a year. I know my hypothyroidism is different from yours but I’ve seen many with hypothyroid on the forums who have successful weight loss.
    My scales have a flat battery and I am finding the inability to weigh quite liberating, to the point that I’ll wait until I do grocery shopping to replace them. Clothes continue to feel very slightly looser so I’m happy. Although yesterday I was assaulted by an unexpected glimpse of my naked back and was horrified to see the horizontal fold that had disappeared seems to be wanting to come back. So some rigid planning for the next 6 weeks, I want to be quite ready for my 60th birthday cruise around the Dalmatian coast and western Mediterranean.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks Patricia1066 – I do it every year so I know I can and having everyone’s support is wonderful!

• posted by Cherrysoup
    on

Thanks Skipping!
    sunshine-girl I totally salute your tree hopping! I hope I can muster as much courage as you!
    Mariet that’s really good to know thanks – I still maintain that getting rid of my extra 6 stone would be more beneficial than messing with my metabolism/thyroid, I’m sure it will lower the strain on everything else significantly.
    Added bonus another 1.6lbs disappeared this morning so I’m happy with that 🙂

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi everyone
    This certainly is an inspiring set of posts.
    I have been AWOL for a while, life has been in the way. Both sets of parents have been in and out of hospital. My father has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and has had to stop driving. Mother finally decided that it would be good to move nearer but the proposed change was making things worse.
    My parents should have moved 5 years ago, I have been trying to persuade them for years, I think my mother knows now but its pointless going over this.
    So a couple of weeks ago I decided to stop worrying about things I cannot change and decided to start looking after myself. The amusing part is that my mother said the same – and it is them that cause m the most stress.
    This coincided with a routine blood test. I got the results last Fridat and its a wake up call.
    My HBAc1 level is 41 – 42 is pre-diabetic.
    I got on the scales for the first time in ages – somehow I have broken the compulsive habit of weighing myself every morning. I thought I had put on weight, my clothes felt tight and I had glimpsed myself in the mirror the other day and was not a pretty sight.
    I was 12 stone 5 pounds on Sunday. This is the heaviest I have ever been and it really freaked me out. I also discovered that I have shrunk an inch so the BMI is even worse!
    I thought that I was maintaining my weight.

I have had mixed success with this – 3 years ago I lost 12lbs in 3 weeks and kept it off for about 10 months before going back to my old habits.
    I need to do something and I need to stop self destructing.
    Rereading this I sound really whiny – I dont mean to be I am just trying to be realistic and be aware of what derailed me before.
    I like the idea of focussing on something other than weight loss to motivate you. I have a party in May that I want to wear a specific dress for so I dont look old ladyish.
    As of today I have lost 2lbs – its probably water but here goes its a great incentive.
    Madmare

on

Hi all, Cherry I am not that brave with my tree climb, the park has 12 level of height and difficulty. 1-3 is for under 5’s so I did levels 4 5 and 6. I wasn’t put off by going higher but when you walk across a wire holding onto an upper wire and your little arms will barely reach I decided it was too much for me to go further. Daughter and the boys went on to level 8. This year they went to level 10 and daughters new boyfriend went to level 12 but he is very fit (athletic fit not phwoarrrr fit). I will do it again when they come out this year.

Good result with my weight as I have whooshed 1kg in 2 days. Down side is my BG shot up to 7.3 – I think it is due to the fast change in weight which upsets the equilibrium. Should settle over the next couple of days.

Good to see you back MadMare, sorry about your diagnosis but you know you are on the right track here. You will soon be back into the ‘normal’ range of HbA1c. And, no, you are not whiney – we are here to let you vent, you will be cheering yourself in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the rest of your week everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Madmare, it sounds like you have had a tough time and some how lost sight of yourself in everything that’s been going on.
    Great that you have made a start and you’re in the right place to get support and encouragement. It’s also the right place to vent – it’s do not whining or whining!
    Hopefully you still hold the tools to get yourself back where you want to be and if not, you’ll soon find them again.
    I have always weighed daily (except for times when it not possible to use my own scales) and this has allowed me to make immediate adjustments, when unwanted pounds start to appear. Right now though, focus on growing that 2lb to 4lb and more, you’ll soon be reporting great results I’m sure. Keep posting

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome home, Madmare! Seeing our parents decline physically or mentally is something we all have to face
    eventually, and it’s never easy. Extremely stressful! And Sunny is right, it’s very easy to lose sight of ourselves
    when trying to protect them…I think it will help you to get back on the forums, so try to pop in more often. It’s
    good to see you again!

Allie

• posted by Cherrysoup
    on

Crying with laughter Sunshine…
    “he is very fit (athletic fit not phwoarrrr fit)”
    😂
    Everyone has their ups and down don’t they? Nobody should be worried about saying how they’re feeling, sometimes it really helps to know somebody is listening, even if they’re at the other end of a keyboard!! Keep going forwards everyone, we are stronger together 😘

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi guys I seem to be having trouble posting? I keep getting error occurred, is anyone else getting this problem?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Cherrysoup! We span many time zones here, so there is always someone “listening” 🙂 We probably seem
    like just a blur of usernames on the page for you now, but you will soon learn to view us as individuals who
    have a great deal of knowledge to share. Along the way, you will meet so many generous hearted, non judgemental
    friends, and we look forward to getting to know you, too! You’ve chosen a great thread to begin with 🙂 I’m looking
    forward to hearing your story, and sharing the adventure with you!

Allie

on

Hi Birdy, I just answered your night shift post and got an error code, then looked and the whole post (your question and my reply) had gone.

Please log in or register to post a reply.