ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 7th OF MAY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

To help
    Old and new navigate this amazing WOE.

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Thanks Birdy. I am delighted at how much these forums have already helped me – with advice, recipe ideas, motivation and guidance.

Thanks to everyone and I hope you all have an excellent week x

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I am glad we were able to help and this is exactly what we hope to do. This forum is like nothing I have ever been involved with before and it really is an amazing and invaluable place for us all. I feel blessed to be part of it. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Thank you Birdy. I hope to be able to contribute regularly and in time be helping newbies myself.

Does anyone have advice on vitamin supplements? I take a basic daily multivitamin anyway, but should I be looking at anything more specific?

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

My family had Chinese takeout for dinner so I took the opportunity to avoid cooking and continue my fast into tomorrow ( I started yesterday at 11pm).
    Wendy, I hope your surgery goes well. I’m out of the loop but I hope it isn’t something serious. I can take my own food. I was actually thinking about that. I don’t want it to be obvious since I get tired of hearing other people’s opinions on my diet and fasting sometimes so I was thinking of bringing something for everyone and then just eating that alone.
    These kelp noodles have caught my interest…. Would they be good in a pasta salad? Maybe with chicken, sliced almonds, feta cheese, Italian dressing? Hmm… I welcome any ideas for picnic friendly food.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Kelp noodles work very well as a cold dish. Soften them as I described in the other thread, then toss them with a dressing of toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fresh minced ginger and garlic. If you like heat, add some sambal oelek or hot chili sauce (make sure to check the ingredients for sugar). Top with chopped scallions, pea shoots or alfalfa sprouts, and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. I takes minutes to prepare, is fine left out at room temperature indefinitely and we know your family likes Chinese food, so cold sesame noodles should appeal.

If you’d like to make something more elaborate with the kelp noodles, check out this post for my recipe for fake lo mein: https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/good-eats-the-low-carb-way/page/3/#post-78358

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Amz, My vote for the picnic would be mini frittatas. (Spanish omelette) – You can use the silicon muffin trays to cook them in and it makes it really easy to turn them out. – Grease the trays well, fill each one with your preference of veg or meat, top off with beaten egg and pop in the oven. You could make bite size ones with the little muffin tray or slightly larger ones.

They went down well at a wedding reception I went to where we all took dishes to share.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning guys new week is about to begin! To all the UK guys I hope the your extra day off was great and if anyone had any slips then today is the day to reset our minds and get back on this WOE! I am not focusing on the two glasses of red I drank as I know I am going to be drinking nothing but water, coffee and herbal tea! I AM going to get in my red shorts when the British weather picks up😜. To all our other friends from across the ponds I hope you had a good weekend too. We all here and ready to help each other on another week of this awesome WOE! I am now in my 5th week and a lot more clothes are looser on me. Might even jump on the scales today! Although I don’t really use them to measure my progress anymore as my wardrobe is making me smile now. Have a great week guys! Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Hi there, thought I’d drop by and introduce myself. Been reading the Forum for a few days now and have read the Fast 800 book, having previously done 5:2 for a wee while, some time ago. First day on the diet today and for my first week I’m going to try and concentrate on meeting the 800 cal targets, TRE of 12/12 and macros of 40\40\20, which will give me around 80g carbs – I will look to work towards TRE of 16:8 and macros along the line of 25\30\45 over the next few weeks as I settle in to it, to be closer to 50g carbs. I have a large amount of weight to lose (around 130lb), but have done it before (although not on this type of diet) so if I can get into the way of things I’m hopeful I can have some success – and maybe even not put it back on again this time! Hoping to introduce some exercise if I can get my cross-trainer fixed too. When I lost a lot of weight previously, I found the forums associated with that system crucial to my success, so hopefully I can get similar support here (and provide some for other folk) – unless I give up and disappear 😉 . My main challenge is being utterly lazy (husband does all the cooking at the moment as he enjoys it, while I don’t) so I need to get used to prepping my own food and being prepared to take stuff in to work (I struggle to find things I can take to work for breakfast and lunch usually, so tend to resort to instant porridge and microwave rice!). I’ve also bought in some of the Fast 800 shake mix – not something I’d usually go for, but if everything gets on top of me, it’s a quick solution that’ll give me space to get my head together. Hope to stop by regularly – see you later folks.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi to all. Thank you Birdy for starting the next thread. I managed to discard (Ducky where are you?!) 1kg last week, so 2.3 in the last two weeks. Pleased with this, since anything within my BMI healthy range is more difficult to zap. My resolution this week is to drink more water, and keep off the salted peanuts.

Good luck to everyone this week, welcome to all newcomers. Let’s do this!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Welcome Beegirl glad to see you on here. We are very friendly group that is not judgemental in any way. We are all trying to get to same place and live a healthier lifestyle. We have lots of newbies as well as lots of seasoned BSDer’s. who I am sure be along soon to welcome you and help you on your way. I started my first week by cutting out all my carbs and I have gone straight into 20g of carbs a day as like you I have a lot of weight to discard. This thread is a very helpful one as it gets to take each week at a time, as that is all can do. We don’t beat ourselves up if we go off track but we do realise it is easy to get back on track after. A few little tweaks and we are on our way again. You may have noticed the little search bar in the right top corner and all you have to do is write a few key words and it will open lots of threads where most questions have been answered. No question is a stupid one and there is always somebody who can guide you. Good luck on this incredible Way Of Eating (WOE) Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Hello Beegirl and welcome! I too have fair amount of weight to lose (around 115lbs) and I am new to the forums, but I have already received lots of helpful advice already.

Update on the low carb noodle search – I managed to find Barenaked Noodles at my local supermarket. Tried them in a chilli salmon stir fry and they were a hit with the OH. They do smell a little fishy when you open the packet, but a quick rinse helps plus it was a fish based meal so it didn’t matter. I found the texture a little odd to begin with but the OH said he would happily eat them in place of “real” noodles so it’s a win! Thanks everyone for your suggestions xx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The texture can be improved with a quick dry sautee, gokiniruth. After you’ve rinsed them, pat them as dry as you can, then throw them into the pan you’re going to use for the stir fry. Toss them at medium-high heat until all the water is gone. Remove them from the pan and set them aside on a plate where you can kind of spread them out. You don’t want them to clump together and steam themselves wet again. Add them back in to the dish as you would normally.

Beegirl, welcome to the forum. Like you, I had a lot of weight to lose, over 200 lbs. It took me 14 months. I reached my goal in September of 2017 and have kept it off since. Cut all the obvious carbs — bread, pasta, rice, grains of any kind, root/starchy vegetables, sugar — and check the carb contents of vegetables, fruit, dairy. The reason I recommend you take this approach is that I thought I was lazy too, but my lassitude was entirely caused by insulin resistance. I consider it a carb allergy and that’s how I live my life now. To keep the weight off, the carbs have to stay gone too. Good luck!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good afternoon, my lovelies! I’m happy to be back on board with all of you after 2 weeks being sidelined by
    pneumonia. Special thanks to Caron, Birdy, Stepping, 6T and others for your well wishes! I really appreciate it. 🙂

BeeGirl and gokinruth, a warm welcome to you both! By way of an introduction, I’m what’s known as an
    “old timer” around this neighborhood. I have a very special place in my heart for “ladies with lots to lose”,
    since 3 years ago I walked in your shoes. Those were the bad old days, and I’ve been successfully maintaining
    a loss of 140lbs for just over 2 years. The BSD is life changing, and I wish you all the best! Losing the weight
    isn’t the prize, but keeping it off is the real victory, for me. There is a vibrant community of others here who
    have accomplished the same. We’re always delighted to share knowledge and experience, and as Birdy says,
    no question or concern is too small. There is always someone out and about, so just shout out if you need
    anything. Someone will always respond 🙂 We cover many time zones!

Sweet Birdy has stepped up to take us through the next week…Thank you, my girl!

Have a great week, all! I’m fully back in “the fold” 🙂

Allie

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Wow Esnecca and alliecat your success is fantastic, I especially like that you both mention maintaining the weight loss. That for me is the key and what appeals to me most is changing the way that I eat so that once I have lost the weight I can keep it off for good!

Esnecca thanks for the tip, I’ll try that next time we have the noodles x

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Good to see you back on form Allie! We have not heard from Duckie recently;I think you have a direct line to her; are you able to check all is well? Kafin, how are you? And Wendleg, I hope you are comfy after your op (tho obviously unlikely to be checking in here quite so soon…). I have hit a (self-inflicted) plateau. I had hoped at least 1/2 a turkey would have gone in last cple of weeks, and so I wld be on track to announce in 2 or 3 weeks or so that I had got into the 10 stone bracket….Please bear with me whilst I make adjustments and give myself a good talking to. It seemed so close and achievable!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Essie my OH might be off to Tokyo in a couple of weeks need suggestions of what he can bring me back to help pep up my cooking. Obviously it will have to be dried stuff, but thought I would not lose the opportunity. Thank you Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Seaweed! He’ll be able to find just about every kind under the sun, I’m sure. Some can be eaten dried (think nori wraps on sushi), some can be reconstituted in a little warm water and turned into a delicious salad. Some (kombu) is a long, leathery rope that is used to create the base stock for traditional miso soup. Bonito flakes, also used to make dashi. Or, you could cut out the hard work and get dried dashi stock powder. I special ordered mine and had to search high and low for some without sugar.

If he can pack any liquid at all, traditional fermented soy sauce would be amazing. Nowadays it’s very rarely done the traditional way (cured in a wood barrel for years) even in Japan. Same goes for traditional miso.

The real trick is going to be him figuring out ingredients for stuff, unless he can read Japanese or will be accompanied on shopping trips by someone who can.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Essie I will get him to find the soy sauce, miso and dashi. Out of interest where did you find your dashi as I have looked high and low. 💞🦜

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Hello. 163 today.
    Welcome back Allie; I’m glad you are feeling better.
    Wendy, please get better soon.
    Birdy, I heart Japanese food. I was just dining with a Japanese friend of mine who was complaining about missing certain spices like dried Bonita flakes and such. She isn’t pleased with our local international market. Hopefully you will get some delicious things. I love using sushi nori wraps for replacing tortillas for a breakfast burritos. It’s yummy!
    Newcomers, a very warm welcome to you all. I know it can be nerve-wracking to hope that despite past difficulties, you will find success with bsd. You can! It has helped me to remember this is not a diet that I can drop and pick up on a whim; it is a whole new healthier lifestyle. I went from 200 to 157 from November to February… I stopped for a while but I realized I was much happier when I cherished and properly nourished my body so I’m back on the band wagon. Lean on this wonderful people here and you’ll find great strength to keep moving forward. That said, I’ll try to be more active on this forum. 😊🧡
    I just realized that I forgot the hidden carbs of coconut water. *sigh* I’ll be more careful tomorrow.
    Still haven’t decided what to bring for the picnic…. Mini crustless quiches sound delicious…. But my daughter wants to do a dessert… Still looking at my options.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Want my recipe for mini cinammon pecan cheesecakes, Amz? I used monkfruit and inulin as a sweetener. 81 cals and 0 net carbs each.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Birdy, my one and only precious treasure of a dashi stock powder source is a brand called Kayanoya. I ordered online from their US website ( https://usa.kayanoya.com/kayanoya-original-dashi-stock-powder.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlIL3mYOK4gIV0MDICh37pwhiEAAYASAAEgJcpPD_BwE ), but they have a beautiful retail store in Midtown Tokyo. http://www.kubarahonke.com/en/restaurant/ Make your man pick up some of their amazing sea salt seasonings while he’s there. Tell him money is no object!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Amazing thank you and I will say exactly that to him! I only wish I was going with him! Then he could work I could get a translator and fill my boots🤣. I will see if I can get some off of a website. I wish I could come stay with you too for an intensive cooking course! ❤️💞🦜

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Amz- strawberries and cream? I have just had my first strawberries 🍓 of the season and they were absolutely delicious – from Aldi. Had them with some Greek Yoghurt and double cream and cacao nibs. They would have been as nice with just the cream. Just a thought for your dessert dilemma.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just reading the thread from my hospital bed !!! Not touting for sympathy..I am fine after my “lifting”op. Menopausal women will understand me ..sorry if too much info while you are enjoying your BSD dinner 😉. I am on a drip as have become reacquainted with period pains !! Ouch ..that is something I don’t miss about being menopausal 😂. I am staying in the clinic overnight and should be out tomorrow. Have to take it easy for a few weeks but my lovely hubby is well trained and looks after me 🤗. Looks like I am fasting today as it is 9.30pm and I haven’t been allowed any food yet. Fortunately I can cope with that. I have emergency almonds if needed and green tea when I can get hot water . I have been following the culinary advice with great interest. Thanks as always Essie. Welcome to all new members. I am watching out for you Amz ! Love to the regulars ! I will be posting more soon ..hopefully from the comfort of my garden when the weather picks up.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Oh Wendleg! I hope no mesh was involved and that the drip gets rid of those pains of yesteryear. Take care and a report from the garden when you feel up to it would be great!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I know she will be doing exactly that, 6T. I received a jaunty photo of Wendy this morning, in her surgery frock! She’s
    a trooper! Hugs and love to you, Wendy xxx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Dear god, I don’t want to know what this lifting and mesh is all about. I suspect I could google it but will leave that for a something to look forward to when I reach menopause?? I’m glad your husband is well trained, Wendy – I laid the vacuum in front of Albert the other day and nothing. I still have some work to do on the training. Wishing you a speedy recovery and much love xx
    Amz – that seaweed breakfast burrito sounds like a great idea! Any tips I need to know?
    Sixturkeys – I’m ok. I’ve now done 3 days successfully so I’m proud of that. I discarded 5.8lbs in two days but was up 0.8 today but I’m not worrying about it since I know I ate right. It may be the extra salt I had, the sudden removal of carbs and sugar always hits me hard with a migraine and lethargy (which was already sucky from my meds) and I read somewhere that salt can help. It didn’t but feeling a little better today and I know it’s only temporary as this happens to me every time. Maybe that’s the incentive to keep going! 10st is amazing and I bet you can get there. I got there a couple of years ago and it was almost too low for me but I’m going to try along with you (although I’m currently in the 12st bracket)! If you give yourself a talking to, maybe use that lawyer voice, you promised me! 😉
    Have a good week everyone

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Kafin, I said 10 st bracket, not 10 st…Well done you, one day at a time has become three! I think you might have had over-expectations of Albert hoovering. My cat was feeling evil today, not catching any mice or birds, but pouncing on miniature dachshunds. Which is actually quite funny to watch…Sending you a hug! x

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

So good to hear from you Wendleg and so soon after your op. I’m glad it all went well and you’re sounding very upbeat and positive, even joking about it lol. I’m sure you’ll soon be lazing in your garden and being spoiled by your lovely, caring husband. Looking forward to your regular posts.
    CC, I’m hooked on the strawberries at the moment. Asda have lovely ones too. I’ve tried but struggled to like the Greek yoghurt so I enjoy the strawberries on their own. Delicious!
    I’ve not had a good day today. Back at work, bored and depressed. Ate to cheer myself up. Really need to find another way of coping. I’m absolutely fine at home, just work that’s the problem. Although tonight I just want to keep eating. I think that’s the effect of eating all the carbs today. Anyway, fingers crossed back on track from tomorrow.
    Welcome to all the new comers. This really is a great WOE and a brilliant forum.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

10 st bracket is still incredible! I wish we could post photos – Albert has a new soft cave like pod to crawl into and my family are the sick of all the photos! And I would love to see your cat pouncing on sausage dogs!
    Scottishgal – boredom is a hard one. If I’m busy, I don’t think (as much) about food but when I have nothing to do (and tv on its own doesn’t cut it for me), I feel like I’ve read and looked at everything on the internet and cleaned as much as I can and no amount of baths and candles will distract me. Is your work boring or do you just not have much to do? Wish I could help xx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Kafin, I’m laughing hard at poor Albert. What does he think.

Wendy, don’t laugh when it hurts! Glad all went well, and you will be home soon.

I’m looking forward to the Kent strawberries, so tasty.

Scottishgal, you are still Koko well done you!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I was offered bread ..jam ..croissants and bread this morning in the hospital ! How very dare they !!! Do they know who I am ? 🤣🤣🤣.. I didnt sleep that well with wadding and tubes hindering any attempt to rest.. I will stop.right there..it would disturb your day 🤣
    All tubes etc have been removed and I should be going home as soon as I get the all clear (it needed forward planning as today is bank.holiday in France )
    I need vegetables .
    Have a great day everyone and thank you for your good wishes lovely people xx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

How is hospital food so consistently unhealthy? It’s like they want to trigger an inflammatory response in their patients! Have a speedy recovery, Wendy, and may you be served all the veggies on a silver platter. 😀

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Afternoon everyone. How are we doing today?

Wendy I hope you are well on your way home to allow your hubby to take care of you? Get well soon honey❤️❤️

I am back to nights tonight but I am hoping they are getting easier now! We shall see. I have made a mushroom curry to eat before work and I will have chicken lettuce 🥬 cups for my snack at work plus a portion of pistachios. I am going to wear my clown trousers again tonight as I love the looseness of them🤣. My water intake has improved and I hoping to see the results of this over the next couple of days! I do however have one confession! As I worked overtime last night I got rather peckish so I bought a pack of lunchbox mature cheddar! They weigh 20g each and are not too bad as a snack but I had two!! I have counted it in on MFP and that has obviously effected what I can eat for the rest of the day seems I consumed them this morning at around 1am! Hence the low carb low protein curry for supper🤣. I hope you are all having a good day and I will see you all on the flip side🤣 💞🦜 p.s awfully quiet in the forum today😢

• posted by wendleg
    on

I got the all clear to come home and avoid the horrendous lunch time food at the clinic. Even the nurse said home food would be better ! For sure…
    I have spent the last few hours snoozing. I did not have a good night so needed to catch up a bit. All is well and I will make the most of the recovery time…posting more frequently and also going through my numerous low carb recipe books . I am tempted to have a go at fermentation too. You are our inspiration to branch out and try new adventurous flavours Essie !
    Good luck with the night shifts Birdy. You are doing so well responding so enthusiastically to all the tips and advice. You are like me…although not “old timers ” ..we will never go back to former unhealthy habits . Keep going everyone …never give up and think long term xx

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Good afternoon Birdy, it sounds like you are well organised for your night shift tonight. I hope it goes well and you don’t get too many cravings. I know myself the pain of night shifts and the havoc it plays with eating habits.

Glad you are back home wendleg, looking forward to hearing about your fermentation experiments, I’d quite like to give it a go myself.

I’ve had a good day so far, I went swimming before work and did 46 lengths (25 meters) which I was quite happy with as I’m not a natural swimmer but I do find it incredibly relaxing to let my thoughts wander as I drift about.

Tonight I’m at a friends house for dinner, not quite sure what’s on the menu yet but I’ll make the best choices I can. I’ve been on water only since 6pm last night and felt really happy and healthy and not struggled with hungry pangs.

Yesterday I made the coconut cream chia pudding Esnecca mentioned in a post I read and it was amaaazing, and a hit with the OH too, so creamy tasty and delicious. Thanks

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Hi Everyone,
    Sorry its been so long since I’ve been in touch…I’ve had a quick whizz through and see you’ve had an ouchy op Wendleg, take it easy my lovely, hopefully you’ll be feeling better soon.
    Allie I’m so sorry you’ve been poorly too, look after yourself.
    Hope everyone else is doing OK, Birdy you’re doing a great job 💖
    I’ve had a bit of a turbulent couple of weeks. I developed hives about a month ago and they’ve just got worse and worse. The Gp thinks its probable I have Lupus but waiting on blood tests. I am so itchy I could cry 😪.
    We managed to take Katy away for a couple of night to make up for her birthday disaster which was nice.
    My big news is that I had my 3 month bloods back today….drum roll….in 3 months I have discarded 18kg, 6″ from my bust 8″ from my tum 8″ from my waist. My Hba1c has gone from 6.7% to 5.5% (50 to 37) so now well back in the normal range, my triglycerides have gone from 2.11 to 0.88 and my cholesterol has dropped from 6.02 to 5.34 (still a wee bit high but a good drop!) I am over the moon, I just wish I could stop bl#$dy itching!!!
    Thankyou everyone of you who has helped me over the last 3 months…don’t worry I’m going to be hanging around, I’m not ‘there’ yet and if I have to go on steroids I’m going to be heading in the wrong direction 😔
    Love to you all xxx
    P.s the cinnamon pecan cheesecake sounds delish Esnecca, where can I find the recipe?

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Well done, Shellbob – what amazing results especially since you’ve had such a rough time. You kept going and I’m so glad you got your reward. Sorry about the potential lupus and the itchiness, hopefully it can be sorted out for you quickly xx
    Glad you’re home, Wendy – keep snoozing and heal xx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Shellbob, glad to see you again. That itch sounds very distressing, I hope you get a solution to this.

Well done on the blood test results! You have improved your long term health, and you will go further!

I looked up cinnamon pecan cheesecake on the diet doctor site, and there is one there. Did you see this?

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Shellbob that is amazing! I remember your earlier posts – the dreaded 93kg or whatever it was block. Look at you now! More shopping no doubt on the horizon. Glad you managed to get away again with Katy – and how is your son? I hope the hives will be sorted; it does sound unpleasant. Wendleg, good that you are back home and catching up on sleep in your own bed. Cinnamon pecan cheesecake…. now that is something I will look up. Kafin, how are you? More yoga booked? And Allie, did you see my post yesterday, we are missing Duckie and I thought you might have direct access so you could check she is well. She may have jumped last-minute on another cruise having enjoyed the experience so much! I am still somewhat mired but the size 14 jeans I bought a few weeks ago do seem a bit roomier in the bottom area. I wish the tum would respond, I must do some more vigorous pummelling… All best to everyone!

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Oh its lovely to be back, thanks for the recipe hint Patricia, I’ll head there now.
    Kafin, what’s this about yoga? I must have missed this! I really want to get into it but don’t seem to have the time at the mo, I think it would be good for both body and mind!
    Sixturkeys, I know, 93kgs, I can scarcely believe it still, I’m plateaued at 80.3 kgs at the mo but I’m sure I’ll pick up again soon. I want to discard about another 5 kgs I think, which will give me some room for manoeuvre, so will be sticking with the 800 for a while yet xxx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Shellbob – we’re at the same weight and interestingly I feel like my body made this my new set point. When I first started, I lost over 7kgs in the first two weeks and then nothing (no inches either) for the next four weeks and then I fell off the wagon (I mean really badly) for about a month, then I got back on for a week and in that time got back to where I was when I first left off. Then fell off again for several weeks. I’ve been back on track now for four days and am almost back to my lowest point at my first go. So, I’m thinking that all that time I sat there and nothing happened despite sticking to the WOE, my body was just resettling itself at a lower set point. So I’m holding on to that thought if I get stuck again!
    Re yoga, I used to go very regularly (4 or 5 times a week) but when this latest bout of depression hit, after the first month or so when I got fanatical about it, I got to the point where I couldn’t leave the house and wasn’t getting up or dressed etc. I’m now getting up and showering and leaving the house more often and I occasionally go to special pop up practices but I’m still not back in the swing of things. My therapist said even if I can go and just sit there, that would be a start at regaining my routine and my teacher is totally onboard with that since I have told him what I’m dealing with and he’s just happy to see me. I’m really struggling with fatigue from the meds but I’m going to try and go once a week and then build back up. I used to work at Nike Corp. and we had access whenever we wanted to state of the art gyms, I had a personal trainer, worked out a lot but nothing has changed my body the way yoga has. I’ve had a dodgy back since I was 18 but regular yoga keeps that at bay and the muscles that have developed and been defined are amazing for me to see. That said, we don’t do hot yoga, which I find boring because it’s the same 19 positions, ours is a mix of many things including a lot of handstands which really gets the heart rate going! I like the variety, the community and the way my teacher talks about the physiology of the body and what we’re impacting with yoga more than the wiffly waffly stuff. So, yes, you should try, even if you do it from home!! Tons of free apps out there.

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Thanks Kafin I think I’ll have a look tomorrow 😊

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi guys,
    I came across a video about how iron deficiency can make it hard for women to loose weight. – I posted a link to the video on the take a look at this thread.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for the post and the reminder about iron levels, JGwen. I started back on my supplement last week due to my sleep issues as I have noticed that being iron deficient also affects my sleep as well as gives me intense sugar cravings. That could be part of what has been driving my binging, although I think this time I may also be struggling with impulse control as a result of my head injury.
    I’m late posting this week as I’m speaking at a conference tomorrow and the preparation has been horrendous and very last minute. I was at the same conference last year and the food was really dismal, but different location and conference centre so here’s hoping that there are some decent salads and things for lunch. Will be taking some nuts and berries with me just in case though.

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Morning all. Well, first two days have gone fine. I’ve woken up with a rotten headache today, but suspect it’s sinus and eye strain related rather than from the diet. I’m drinking plenty, so don’t think it’s dehydration – might sprinkle a bit of salt on food today just to cover off electrolyte levels too. Thanks to whoever suggested the Bare Naked noodles / rice – they’ve made things much easier on a psychological level as it looks like I’ve still got my usual pile of carbs! And thanks to artcticfox; your post has reminded me that I want to start taking a multivit, so I’ll go look those out today. So far, in my quest to learn to cook, my husband has tutored me in hoisin stir fry with noodles and chicken korma with rice – adding those to the chilli I can already make, I have three whole meals at my fingertips 😂 I also made homemade coleslaw for the fist time, which is gorgeous, and I actually enjoyed a salad for lunch yesterday – I am not known for my love of salads, so this is very odd! Have a good day everyone!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi caronl 🙂 Im here! Just not as often . . . few matters on my mind and “things” needing sorting out . . . BUT . . . havent been doing my usual emotional eating when such things emerge for attention 🙂 So lovely to see the positive/permanent “discard” being used . . . and (in that light) – Im unsure if I have shared . . . 3 more centimetres have been discarded from my girth . . . since Feb . . . (when the Endo set me the challenge of (another) 10cms – this time in 6 months! Seems I might be on track to meet the challenge!!!) . . . in spite of the amazing food on the recent NZ cruise which I was SO PROUD of myself for successfully navigating . . .(pardon the pun!!!). Autumn has arrived with vengeance this week – seeing the need for getting out the jumpers/sweaters/warmer “stuff” too bundle up in! This proved to find MORE clothing too large for current or future requirements . . . and as I LOVE cooler weather clothes . . . sadly many items will be soon re-homed. Swept up BUCKETS of leaves and hosed courtyard and garden this afternoon . . . exercise did me good . . . mentally and physically . . . and a thankless task really . . . knowing full well it will need doing again in a couple of days – the Chinese Elm is like a strip tease artist right now . . . and her “feathers” are getting blown everywhere/sticking to everything and into EVERYTHING with the winds we have been having!!! Definitely one day at a time for Duckie right now . . . Take care all 🙂

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Good morning to BSD angels, Allie, JGwen and Wendleg.

Kafin, that yoga class sounds amazing. I’m impressed by your knowledge and respect for your body. Doing reclining poses when the class is full on handstands takes self control.
    I will soon start a course in pilates, very gentle exercises to strengthen my core and balance.
    This WOE often lifts the mood, but getting back onto low carb is the hardest part. Well done for your achievement.

Articfox, great to hear that you are doing well. You sound very busy, pity that conference food tends to be carb fests.

Beegirl, you are doing well, getting tasty food is essential to keeping to low carb. Your treats will be good food. I’m not saying that this will happen in a few months, it takes 8 weeks to establish a habit, but our relationship with wine and chocolate and bread have been in place for decades. I’m really talking to myself, I realize.

Woodduckie, congratulations on your discard, and choosing your WOE onboard the cruise. I am not shifting the weight permanently, but it’s the inches that are reducing. That 10cm challenge is tremendous.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Feeling much better today after a luxurious sleep in my own bed ( it really did feel like luxury free of tubes and appendages !) I woke up with thoughts of a golden latte so I made a hot drink with almond milk, fresh turmeric and ginger and a bit of pepper. I am also a kilo down today so I am chasing the 11 stone bracket !! Whoopee !!
    Well done on your discard too caronl ! Yes, nuts can be a danger. It’s too easy to dip into the jar and because they are small we trick ourselves into believing they are innocuous !! I think the trick for me would be to measure out a few into a little bag and not allow myself any more than this daily portion. My hubby loves salted peanuts but has moved on to the unsalted monkey nuts. Snacking is still problematic for him but he has made significant changes and is 7 kg lighter than he was in January. So I don’t nag !!

I am a bit uncomfortable sitting down so reclining with our two cats sitting on top of me is my position of preference right now ! I think Bob and George would get on famously with Albert, Kirsten your honour ! Not sure about your sausage dogs, Turkeys !! Envious of your size 14 jeans by the way. One day ….

I have no other pain and all is well. My lovely hubby is on looking after me duty .He is a gem.
    I have loved reading all your posts.
    Amz I am going to try those nori sheets.I have seen them in the health food shops here.We have Chineese food shops but I have never seen a Japanese stockist in France.Their foods sound incredible ! Damn..a friend was recently in Japan.If I had known I would have given her a shopping list ! You are a lucky lady Birdy !
    Stay positive Amz . Rooting for you always xx
    I love the sound of your red shorts ! I don’t possess any shorts but now my knees are a bit bonier, who knows ??
    Scottishgal you need a new job ! It’s not right to be fed up and bored at work.
    Welcome gokiniruth ! I don’t take vitamin supplements so can’t advise.I understand the quality can vary enormously.
    Welcome Beegirl. As Birdy says, you will find lost of support and help on here. I would say try to wean yourself off the shakes, instant porridge and rice ..All those refined carbs will keep your insulin levels and blood glucose high and will hinder your progress.
    Shellbob ..fantastic results !! I just love hearing about your victories !! I was wondering if the hives/itching has anything to do with the low carb eating as I remember reading that keto can have that effect ?? You are ridding your body of stored toxins as you discard the fat ….maybe worth investigating ?? I wonder if JGwen has seen any research about this ?
    Articfox, go easy there…lots of stress.Hoping your presentation goes well . Being prepared with emergency food is a good plan. We will be thinking of you.
    Great to see you back Duckie . A few things that need sorting out …hmm. ..Concentrate on YOU …your well being, your health.You have done magnificently. Hope you feel more settled soon xx
    Have a great day everyone xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.