ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 7th OF MAY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Just popped back in – Wendleg wild garlic spreads like wildfire!! You can have too much of a good thing and as it propagates by little bulblets it is also a question of picking up what are pearl size things to stop it all coming back! Birdy – how much you have been through…And Amz, death star I assume is Star Wars but don’t know about At-Ats!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m lost too, Amz! I am in no way a geek, but a right brained, creative and artistic soul, but I am also an American,
    and my head is in the clouds completely 🙂 Help!

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

wendleg – thanks so much for the Golden Latte recipe, I’ll give that try when I’ve got the ingredients.

Busy day for me – tried to get some digging done at the allotment to get some more veggies planted, but that was cut short by my five year old getting stung by a bee (it got under his t-shirt somehow!) and my six year old then getting a bee trapped in his hair! He did well to stay still while his Dad and I got it out as the increasingly panicked buzzing you get when they’re stuck in your hair is enough to make anyone go daft! After all that it was an afternoon in the workshop to put together another 34 frames in case the bees need more space when I inspect tomorrow.

So, my Fitbit stopped syncing the other day and I’ve just spent about three hours trying to sort it. Not sure it’s worked and I’m deeply frustrated with it. However, while I’ve been doing that, my lovely husband took over cooking my planned dinner and I can honestly say, it was the nicest thing I’ve eaten in months! Grilled tuna steak, drizzled in balsamic vinegar, with chilli halloumi caponata (minus the capers and olives as I don’t like those!). Oh, so tasty – I will be very happy to have that regularly!

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Today has been another good day, I think. I haven’t been able to weight myself the past few days, what with the residential night shifts and other commitments during the day, I’ve not been home since Thursday – but tomorrow I’m back in my own bed for one night and so I’ll be able to see if the scales reflect the way I feel. I’m definitely feeling the benefit of more water and I’m not struggling with hunger pains.

Wendleg, thank you for the dietdoctor suggestion, I’ve Just had a quick look and there are tons of recipes so that will be perfect. I noticed some are a little high on calories for my 800 a day but with a little adaptation I’lll be able to use them.
    Haha I’m in no way a star, nights shifts can be a pain, but I weirdly enjoy them at the same time, it’s like a bizarre feeling of satisfaction being awake when others are asleep. I’ve also never been a great sleeper so I can’t complain as I don’t find them too difficult since I would probably be awake anyway so I might as well get paid for it.

Beegirl – my Fitbit also does ridiculous things like that and no amount of playing with it helps and then it will randomly start working again, it’s very odd. Your allotment sounds lovely although I must admit I am one of those people who runs away from any sort of buzzing thing. Bugs and spiders etc I don’t have any problems with but I have an inexplicable and irrational fear of bees/wasps, I run away screaming at the sight of them.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I’ve been reading everyone’s posts, but I’m stressing out about trying to get back to everyone has been thinking of me and is so kind as well as making sure I’m participating and giving to others and not just taking. So if I miss someone out, please don’t take it personally!
    Patricia – keep me posted on your pilates class. I’ve done that in the past and it’s amazing for core strength.
    Scottishgal – I saw you mention that you feel guilty for falling off the wagon with no excuse. You don’t need to feel like that, we all feel how we feel and we’re all doing the best we can with whatever challenges we’re dealing with. I know your job isn’t that satisfying and that’s a good enough excuse to fall off the wagon. I wouldn’t have been able to sit in a meeting with goodies on the table!
    Duckie – I love your advice and related to many of the things you said in the last couple of posts. How did the Chia pudding work out?
    Welcome MissMissy – amazing start!
    Articfox – you managed that conference so well. I had one in Vegas in April and despite best of intentions and options, I came crashing off the wagon so next time, I’ll reread your posts and take some inspiration!
    Hi Californiagirl – I ended up in LA after being in Portland, Or for 8.5 years and getting laid off. Got offered a job out here and having never bonded with Portland, I leapt at the chance. I’m actually half Kiwi/half American. My Dad was American and my brother and I were born in Hawaii but we moved back to NZ when I was almost 3 because Mum was homesick. I ended up in the US after 3 years in London/Leeds and two years in Sydney and now I’ve been in the States for 16 years. Albert is an American through and through! You know he’s a cat, right??? Learning Spanish because I think it’s beautiful and given where I live, respectful to all those here that speak it. Also to help with the depression – good to have something to focus on. I love LA too but Bath is lovely! Will be watching to hear how things are going.
    The lovely Wendy – I like real people names for animals too! I did get new shoes and Albert could care less. However he thoroughly approves of the box they came in. Glad to hear you’re recovering and I hope you’re still taking it easy. And no, no unwelcome noise from you! I think both you and Birdy gave great advice. I don’t think I’m in a position to give advice at the moment so it’s lovely that Amz has others to help out. I used to get a lot of opinions and fixer options for my depression issues from people who just didn’t understand so now I stick to my therapist and my two aunts and no one else to avoid my head getting too crowded and overwhelmed. My aunts have been through a lot of therapy and are absolutely wonderful – sort of how you’ve been :). I’m going to try sending an email to the address you said as I would love to connect more with photos etc.
    SixTurkeys, so kind of you to help your neighbor with her garden. Hope you’re having a great weekend x
    Thanks Birdy – will try sending an email so you can admire Albert!
    Welcome Puddy – I always feel matyrish about passing up cakes and cookies, I don’t know if that will ever go away! Great start
    Take care everyone xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Kafin!!! PLEASE!!!! Dont stress about replying 🙂 Im grateful to hear from you . . . glad I have something which “speaks to you” from there but please take a deep breath, make your arms encircle and give you a hug. (A pillow in your arms is VERY therapeutic!!! . . . and I dont know what Id do without my MANY years old bedraggled bear, Ralph. He is a polar bear by “Russ” Toys, looks like Alf in a funny sort of a way – hence “Ralph”. He wears a rubber band bracelet made for me by my elder grandson when he was a LOT younger . . . and the old bowtie I used to wear when club waitressing . . . He looks quite swish actually!!! When ribs were damaged, he was just enough to prop my torso onto softness, has a warmth and strange kind of support/solidness against my body when tummy upsets are on the horizon, has been used between my knees to “level” my legs when hips were acting up . . . and sits proudly among the pillow and cushion decorations when the bed is “dressed” 🙂 Now there’s a very personal revelation from the nanna Duckie!) –
    Re the chia pudding . . .? Hmmm . . . well I kinda liked it but it was a little bland . . . in spite of favourite flavours which were added. Ill definitely give it another go . . . just trial and error for flavouring . . . not unlike the Golden Latte combo of ingredients. Not so with the mini quiche I have just baked 🙂 YUMMMMM . . . todays variation have the seasoned mince casings, finely diced bacon, cauli, asparagus, bell pepper, peas, shallots, leek, then filled in with whipped egg, containing small amount of cream, milk and crushed garlic. Topped with smoky triple cheese mix and chilli flakes . . they smell and look – delicious 🙂 (Oven has just been emptied!!) –
    Glorious downunder Autumn day here to celebrate Mothers Day . . . to be grateful and rejoice in the now – this minute – today. I have a fresh coffee . . . and am heading for my sheltered courtyard corner . . . with a new (for me) book – (Angela’s Ashes) – to enjoy the newly mowed yard with freshly trimmed and more tailored buxus hedge (looking amazing), the Iceberg rose in full bloom with bees delirious with the pollen and nectar feast, and to soak up some vitamin D before the afternoon chill begins to descend 🙂 Enjoy your day 🙂 Quack! Quack!

• posted by FinFrance
    on

Hello :),
    First time posting here 🙂
    Have been reading the forums for a few weeks now and always find them a great inspiration. Thank you to all those people who take the time from their day to help and advise others.
    Today I need a little help / advice and I wonder if anyone has some to offer.
    I started the 800 diet 6 weeks ago after being told by my surgeon to loose 30 kg (Lots I know , but I started at 123kg. Years of bodily abuse had caught up with me)
    I managed to adapt to the diet and enjoyed it, I also lost 13kg along the way 🙂
    However for the last two weeks I have been “stuck” at 110kg.
    Does anyone have any experience or advice to help me “get going” again please ? Should I stop? Have a couple of “fasting” days? Increase my exercise?
    Thanks for any/all responses

• posted by Niknak87
    on

I’m a bit late to this post but I am now 1 week in on this diet and thought I would pop in and say “hi” to the group.
    I finished the last of my bananas and apples yesterday so I’m officially counting the carbs from today. Going to see if I can get them under 20g.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi finfrance, welcome to the forum. There are many very experienced posters here to answer any questions you might have now and in future. We are all going on the same journey, and we look out for each other. My best wishes for your operation, and getting into good health for it.

About being stuck at your current weight, have you been measuring yourself? Or trying on your clothes with an eye to changes. You may be swopping fat for muscle, which is heavier and more compact. Hence you don’t appear to lose weight, and yet you are fitting into a smaller size.

A stall is where you have had 3 weeks or more without retaining the weight loss.

Fat cells hold onto water until the whole area of fat is ready to release. You look the same, weigh the same, but it’s deceptive.
    Look into the Whoosh effect on the search bar.

If you want to fast that can be good especially to start the whoosh!

Lots of advice on how to do this. We all discover our own limits, so listen to your body.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning everyone !
    I thought I would change things up a little this morning. I am out of unsweetened almond milk so I decided to try Essie’s coconut chia pudding as I had a tin of coconut cream in the cupboard. It definitely is VERY fillling.I didn’t scoff the whole lot by the way ! I added a few cheeky blueberries too. Thanks once more Essie !
    I have to be careful with transit issues at the mo so also had a glass of hot water with a couple of spoons of psyllium husk powder. It swells like chia and it does have an « oaty » flavour so if you can manage the gloopy consistency you could kid yourselves into thinking it is porridge ! Very low carb.
    Oh dear, chia seeds and psyllium husk.I hope I haven’t overdone it.You will understand my absence if so .eeek !!
    Turkeys, O/H is the gardner here and on your recommendations he won’ t be planting any wild garlic ! We can get huge bouquets of locally produced garlic to satisfy the French palate here .I think he prefers foraging anyway ! I do love having fresh herbs a few steps away though. I eat fresh parsley like lettuce 😉
    Your dinner sounds delish BeeGirl ! Tell us more about your bees ?
    Duckie ! Good to hear you sounding more upbeat.Bottle that feeling ! Your mini quiches sound stupendous. I think JGwen does something similar.I must try. Enjoy your glorious Mother’s day, Duckie. I haven’t heard from my boys but it must get confusing with 3 Mother’s day dates to navigate !!
    Welcome FinFrance ( are you in France ???) You have made a great start . A 10% discard of body weight after the initial 8 weeks is tremendous. As Patricia says, 2 weeks is not long to be ‘stuck’. What is your normal eating window ? Can you try extending the time between getting up and your first meal ? Fasting is a great tool and nothing to fear.
    Hi Niknak87 ! You are in the right place. I keep banging on about the dietdoctor website but it is very useful for checking the carb values of food along with lots of other very useful advice.
    Kirsten your honour ! Don’t put unnecessary pressure on yourself worrying about acknowledging everyone. We all love and appreciate your contributions ! I am looking forward to showing you Bob and George cuddling each other ( when they are being nice 😉 They are presently sprawled out next to me after a heavy night partying !! !! I am glad Albert enjoyed the shoe box 😉
    Have a great day everyone, wherever you are xx

• posted by FinFrance
    on

Hello everyone and thank you for your positive responses. I think it is easy to loose sight of your “wins” in the day to day process 🙂
    I do live in France 🙂 , retiring here after a bad motor bike accident. I enjoy the warm weather and the shorter winters 🙂
    I am pushing my first meal of the day back towards lunch time (it just fits my life style) and I average about 700 cals and 40g of carbs per day.
    You are right about cloths 🙂 All my clothes now feel different, fit less well (trousers falling down) or better (fitting into older cloths that I put into deep storage)
    Lets hope I have a whoosh and get back on the trail of loosing another 20Kg
    Thank you again

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hello,
    I’ve not posted for a couple of weeks. I be had German exchange students staying and a weekend in Paris. I’ve still not quite made my target (it was 200g away at one point) mainly because Of inconsistency. I’ve had a few days of fasting interspersed by jumping off the wagon.
    I have more kids coming to stay tomorrow and really should be making beds and tidying but have been trying to catch up on here instead.
    Hi FinFrance, there’s a few of us in France. I live near Avignon in Provence, where are you? I’m
    Sure your whoosh is just around the corner.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, checking in after my first stair workout today. It was very short, but it feels good getting out in the morning and getting some exercise in first thing. I’m going to try to get in a few more sessions during the week. I managed for the first time in ages to get around 9.5 hours of sleep. I’m still exhausted, or maybe even feeling a bit more so, but I’m hoping it is because I’m finally not running on adrenaline and realizing what my actual energy level is. Hopefully I’ll be able to repeat tonight and going forward it should help with weight loss.
    Kafin, as the others have said, please don’t worry about not responding to everyone. This is a very busy thread. I haven’t even had time to read all the posts this week, so I’m sure I’ve missed responding to people as well. With regard to the conference, I too have previously fallen off the wagon in spectactular fashion at them. I think this one was easier because even though it was a lot of travel back and forth, I was able to come home each evening and restock my breakfast and emergency food supplies. It was helpful too that the conference venue was much more responsive to my dietary needs this time as compared to last year. I have a week at home and then I’m back on the road again for another presentation at a workshop, so we’ll see how that one goes!

• posted by FinFrance
    on

Hello Skipping,

Thanks for the support. I am further North, between Angouleme and Limoges. Lets hope the increased activity will help with a whoosh 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning guys glad to see the post busy and we have some more newbies which is great!

I had a few trip ups this weekend but I am not going to get angry with myself as I needed it! But now it is done and as they say life goes on. This is not me being flippant it is me coping with life and the ups and downs of it. As you know my family had a loss last week so I travelled with my boy to my mums and as a family we are getting through it. I had to put it all to one side for a while yesterday as it was my sons award ceremony for his Rugby club and it was a day of celebration, so that is what I did. I did my bit to help set it all up and enjoyed the sun and fun atmosphere, while my boy had fun with his team mates. Yes I did have a drink and I did have bbq, but I ate no bread with my burger or my sausage! I did however eat lettuce, a small amount of tomatoes and some feta cheese. If this had been before the BSD I would have had chips, bread, cakes and about 6pints of beer!! So I am happy that I had a semblance of control. I did have a Mr Whippy ice cream but I shared that with my OH, bad I know but I only had half. Back to my boy he started with the team back in September only having ever played a couple of times when he was much younger. The coaches said he had the one thing they could not teach and that was speed and if he listens and takes on board their training he will do well. He has gone from strength to strength and picked up the award for best improved ❤️🤗🤗❤️ I was one proud mum who cried a little and made the most noise clapping and whooping🤣. The coach also said that they want him on the wing in the A team next season. Go my boy! So so proud. I am now getting back on the wagon although I am still 2 stone down and clothes are not tight l, I don’t think I have done much damage and for that I am grateful. I fasted yesterday for 19 hours, I know it is not long but I know it helps. Hope you all have a great week. Love and hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Quick question guys, would cutting dairy out help with weight lose?? I have one coffee with cream in the morning and then 2or 3 more throughout the day with full fat milk. I haven’t lost any weight for two weeks, but I haven’t put any on either and all my clothes are fitting me better everyday! I have been sticking to a few favourites when it comes to meals and I am feeling good and never bloated! So what is the general consensus on dairy please? I am sure this has been answered before so I don’t mind being pointed in the write direction of older posts. Thank you Birdy💞🦜

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Birdy, the one thing that can be difficult to get our heads around is the importance of not measuring progress by the scales. – I know its difficult and we all start off doing it, but its inch loss not the scales that is important.
    You have taken to this Way of Eating like a duck to water – (I have wondered what breed of bird you associate with) – and have incorporated Time Restricted Eating into your days.

One of the benefits of that will be an increase in the amount of time each day your body is benefiting from growth hormone. Insulin blocks growth hormone, so it is normally released when insulin levels drop while you are asleep, and switched off by your first meal of the day. If you are eating in a 16:8 window or 20:4 then your body will have a longer time each day to repair itself. That means stronger bones, your muscles will be rebuilding to be stronger after exercise. All of which mean that the reading on the scales will increase. – But if you are loosing fat the tape measure and the mirror will show it.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

JGwen, you are right – I suppose I do look at the scales tho because since I started, movement on the scales has correlated with inches gone as well, so the expectation is that will continue to be the case. Many habits of a lifetime to adjust! Hope all well by the way with your “new” pup.

• posted by LollyT
    on

Hi all, am I too late to join the group? I started BSD back in July 2018 and I had great success for the first few months and lost nearly 40lbs but really struggling this year to get going and stay going! I just keep falling off plan and even though I know I’ll feel so much better if I eat right, the carbs keep finding me. But I already feel motivated reading your posts and seeing how much you support each other! What a great group!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you for your reply JGwen I measured my waist, under bust, thighs and hips this morning, I have been getting my OH to do it but I don’t think he has been doing it correctly as I see the difference in my clothes and my mirror! When I stated this six weeks ago I had a 49 inch waist, today it is 42imches! My thighs were were 28 and a half and now they are 26, my under bust was 43 and now 41 my hips were 49 and a half and now they are 45 and a half! So just over those I have lost 15 inches! I am very pleased with the results so far and I am going to continue with 800/20g until I go on holiday in August. I am hoping by then I will be nearer to my goal weight and body shape. Today and tomorrow I will be doing 24 hours without food then one meal this evening. I haven’t decided what yet but it will be low carb! I do enjoy the control I have over my eating now. If i was any bird when I started it would probably be a seagull as I would eat any crap going!🤣. Now I am more selective and I love meat so maybe a kestrel. Not quite an eagle but I am still able to fly free and fast! Thank you again for your help. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Niknak87
    on

Birdy- the dairy, it doesn’t hurt to try, but it’s probably not a big issue. Apparently (I heard this a long time ago mind you, so I’m not sure if it’s still right) calcium helps you lose weight so it might actually be beneficial to keep it?
    Don’t forget that the weight on the scales is an indication of multiple different things (fat, muscle, water being a big fluctuation, and don’t forget your stools can vary from 1-6lbs) and you are probably still losing the fat.

• posted by Niknak87
    on

When I woke up this morning my stomach was proper rumbling at me, I was a little concerned but then I had a drink and it went away. Am I getting thirst pangs now instead of hunger pangs?!

I was aiming to get under 20g carbs, but I have discovered that a few food items I have, actually have more carbs than I realised so it’s <30g for the week until I go shopping and change up those items. Still the <30g is working well so far.

Loving my energy levels and happiness today. My coworkers commentated on my cheerfulness this morning. 😀

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi LollyT and welcome! Never too late to jump on. I have found this thread and forum in valuable in keeping me on the straight and narrow. We are a friendly bunch and love nothing more than welcoming new people into the fold. You will get lots and lots of help and encouragement here so don’t be shy and all the best on journey. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Niknak87 so many people have so many opinions on diets. Calcium is good for my bones and teeth if nothing else!🤣. I am getting used to black coffee now as I don’t eat sweet things anymore it doesn’t taste bitter like it used to. My palate has changed a lot already and I am loving it that I don’t need sweet treats and in fact things like milk chocolate taste nasty. Don’t worry about your tummy growling I know it is something we are not used to because we were always over filling it before! Instead enjoy it as you can now hear it. I always go for water before food and it is true what that say that noises and feelings aren’t always hunger, just thirst. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone ! I am on my phone posting a quick message …sunning my milky white legs but without my usual word processing tools so I can’t reply individually .
    I have been listing my too big clothes on.ebay but it’s time consuming and I prefer to be outdoors enjoying the sun and reading my Fermenting book !
    Well done Birdy ! That was a mammoth occasion for your son and you are rightfully proud !
    Birdy I will.set up the new weekly thread later today as I am off work but please continue to support everyone with your trademark enthusiasm and empathy ! Allie will be watcing over us all too .Thank.you.both.xx
    Welcome to new members joining the thread. Do you know,we have a Medical Professional on the forum …Dr Inspiration ? Trying to.lure him into our weekly thread so we can get on.our soapboxes 🤣🤣
    More later xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I just saw Allie’s post in reply to the dried fruit salesman… Allie, what have you spilled on your keyboard this time to have to use a 1 for an i? Sad about Doris Day but a fine age!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi LollyT and welcome ! Switch over to the new thread
    One Week at a time beginning 14th May. It’s NEVER too late to join our merry band . Have you regained since your 40lbs discard ? It worked the first time round and you can succeed again. We are here to help !

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Esnecca
    I know this is an old post, but I’d love to read your recipe for mini cinnamon pecan cheesecakes. Thanks!
    Merry

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you! I will definitely try this. I have a sweetener made in Australia that is monk fruit / stevia mix which I’ll try as I don’t have any inulin fibre. Thanks for bumping this thread. 🙏

Please log in or register to post a reply.