GOOD EATS….. THE LOW CARB WAY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Per the discussion of asparagus and eggs on Avocado’s thread, just saw this yummy item an thought I would add here so it is easier to find in the future. It was on Smitten Kitchen and was being served as on open faced sandwich on whatever you are using for toast these days. Looks lovely and high in fiber from the asparagus, with Omega 3s from the walnuts as well. The recipe is to serve 4 but would certainly be easy to cut to a serving of one….and easy to modify with whatever floats your boat. LTC

ASPARAGUS AND EGG SALAD WITH WALNUTS AND MINT

SERVINGS: 4

Smitten Kitchen

I started with asparagus salad and added the eggs. I call these medium-cooked eggs; feel free to use fully hard-boiled ones if that’s what you’ve gotten idling in your fridge, but I find these more interesting. They’re not runny, but they’re not fully set or opaque in the center either. They amount tender oases in a crunchy salad; all of the flavorful bits stick to them (vs. fully hard-boiled eggs, whose insides crumble and stick to everything else).

I was suspicious of the lemon zest and mint and they’re my two favorite parts. Don’t skip them at all.

4 large eggs, cold from fridge
    1/2 cup (1 ounce or 30 grams) grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces or 55 grams) finely chopped lightly well-toasted walnuts
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Dried chile flakes
    1 pound asparagus, any thickness, tough ends trimmed
    About 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil, preferably extra-virgin

Bring a small/medium pot of water to boil. Gently lower in eggs and reduce heat to a simmer. Boil for 8 1/2 minutes, then quickly transfer eggs to an ice-cold water bath. Leave them there while you prepare the other ingredients, but ideally at least 10 minutes.
    Place parmesan, walnuts, and lemon zest in the bottom of a large bowl, along with 1 teaspoon salt, many grind of black pepper, and about 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes (or more or less to taste; I used half because: kids). Stir to combine.

Cut the asparagus on a sharp angle into very thin slices and add to the parmesan mixture. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and toss some more. Taste and adjust the flavors to your preference by adding more salt, black pepper, chile flakes, or lemon juice, and go a little bit heavy, so the flavors don’t disappear once you add the eggs. Add mint and olive oil toss, adjusting seasoning again.

Peel your cooled eggs. Cut in half, then each half into 6 to 8 chunks. Add to bowl with asparagus and give it one or two gentle stirs (I don’t want to get them too mashed up here).

Eat as is, or scoop onto 6 to 8 toasts or 3 large matzo sheets, halved into 6 more manageable “toasts” (obviously this would negate the gluten-free categorization).

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Luvtcook Another tempting recipe thank you! Just one question – is it the idea to eat the asparagus uncooked? Or did you parboil/roast them first? Maybe I missed something.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have copied that recipe and printed it out to take with me to Turkey, Luvtocook – it sounds delicious! I often include raw asparagus in salads, but this way of making a side dish with the asparagus as the major feature is great. There is a great local goats cheese we buy out there, which is matured in a goats skin and tastes very like parmesan, so will be ideal for making this dish while we’re away.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Sorry I had not seen these posts and failed to reply. For salads, I like my asparagus flash steamed so no totally raw but still nice an crunchy.

Of late I am enjoying a quick lunch of a huge serving of sauteed asparagus with two fried eggs on top…..topped with 1 Tbs of browned butter and some grated lemon peel on top. Really yummy.

SunnyB….hope your Tureky trip was lovely. Are you back yet or is it an extended visit? LTC

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Luv, your asparagus suggestions are wonderful, as always 🙂 I like to eat seasonally and locally too, and this is a
    ridiculously easy way to embellish lightly steamed asparagus. I’ll just include the ingredients, because I know that
    you’ll know how to apportion them: Helman’s reduced cal. mayo, white wine vinegar, freshly ground black pepper,
    dijon mustard and lemon zest. Sometimes I toss in fresh herbs if I happen to have them. Works with broccoli too,
    and vegetables can be either warm, room temp, or chilled!

Best,

Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

Thanks Luvtcook. Really helpful ideas. I confess I am getting tired of my “go to” omelette breakfast. Asparagus will make a nice change.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I know you know only too well how unpleasant the heat and HUMIDITY can be on the East coast in the warmer months. I’d
    actually prefer not to eat hot food then. This simple mixture, with fresh herbs, does double duty on poached,
    room temp fish, too. Dill or tarragon does the job, and I’m sure you would have other ideas as well. Chervil?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Luvtcook! Thank you delicious asparagus “salad” recipe — I modified it a bit without the egg, used a whole lemon zest and juice, just barely steamed the asparagus — it was lovely and the mint really came through. I would make it for a party — we served it as our side veg/salad for dinner with turkey burgers.

• posted by Verano
    on

So pleased this thread is back to the top again. I will have a good look through later. I adore asparagus and used it sliced and lightly steamed as a base for Thai curry instead of rice.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Ok, I have found a new love. Kholrabi. Have never had kholrabi until a week ago and now have had 3 meals of this recipe. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

For any of you who have never had kholrabi…..rush out to your green grocer and find some. It is a weird little vegetable that looks like sputnik, and is a member of the brassica family (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc). Low in calories and carbs and high in nutrition. But it is the taste and texture that makes it a star. For one 100g / 3.5 oz kholrabi it is only 27 calories and 2.6 net carbs (6.2 carbs less 3.6 fiber). And the flavor tastes like a cross between a white potato and the sweet inner core of a broccoli stem after you remove the tough outer peel (my favorite part of the broccoli). Kholrabi can be eaten raw in salads (delish raw…have been nibbling on it with just salt), or cooked. Looks like it would be a great stand in for potatoes in soups or gratins….and also can be made into a mash according to recipes on the web.

As a pasta lover in my previous life I have been spiralizing a variety of veg to try to sub for pasta in recipes, all without much success. Spiralized zucchini just doesnt do it for me. Rutabega the best of the lot up to now (but it is a tough sucker to spiralize).

Enter kohlrabi…..BINGO. Spiralizes beautifully. Just make into “noodle” thickness of your preference and salt with about 1 tsp of salt in a large bowl and let sit 15 – 20 min to soften, then rinse well. Now can use as a noodle in hot or cold recipes. Is not mushy like “noodles”, hold its shape yet is pliable. Can also use softened kelp noodles (see Esnecca’s posts for how to do these) or Zero Noodles.

Below is my current obsession: similar to Dan Dan Noodles. Great for hot summer lunches. Will be trying in some hot recipes in the coming weeks and will let you know how that goes as well.

This sauce is to die for…..would make cardboard taste great. Had to stop myself from eating what was left in the bowl with a spoon. Great stuff.

Please try this…soooooooooo good. Would make 2 medium servings or 1 large…..no surprise, I ate the whole thing for dinner by myself topped with a small seared chicken breast sliced up. YUM.

PEANUT SESAME “NOODLES” WITH SCALLIONS adapted from MilkStreet

Natural peanut butter approximates the dark color and rich flavor of Chinese sesame paste, which can be difficult to find. The sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to a week; bring it to room temperature before using. To round out the dish, add cooked shredded chicken, poached shrimp, cubes of sauteed tofu or edamame.

Servings 2

FOR THE SAUCE:
    2 Tbs natural unsweetend peanut butter
    1 1/4 Tbs unseasoned rice vinegar
    1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
    2 teaspoons white miso
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1/2 tablespoon white sugar….use liquid stevia drops or other no cal sugar substitute
    1 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (I love the new tubes of ginger paste found in the refrigerated produce section)
    1/4 teaspoon finely grated garlic
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 3.5 oz / 100g kohlrabi spiralized and/or kelp noodles
    1 -2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (about ¼ cup)
    toasted sesame seeds to top

DIRECTIONS

Prepare the spiralized kohlrabi (and/or softened kelp noodles).
    To make the sauce, in a large bowl whisk together all ingredients; set aside. May need to add 1 Tbs of hot water if sauce too thick.
    Drain “noodles” well, toss with peanut sauce.
    Top with seared chicken breast, sliced, or poached/ sautéed shrimp or tofu if desired
    Sprinkle with the scallions and sesame seeds.

For 2 servings (or 1 HUGE one)

Cal 367
    Net carbs 10.0

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Note: calories and carbs are for the whole batch. So half that number if splitting to 2 servings. To soften the spiralized kohlrabi, salt and let soften, then rinse and drain well. OR….can blanch in boiling water until softened a bit (30 – 60 seconds depending on thickness of your “noodle”).

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thanks for this and the blueberry muffin recipe on the other thread, Luvtcook, going to go out first thing and try and hunt some kohlrabi down.
    Your recipes are the best!!
    Inka

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, you had asked about asparagus soup recipes. Tripped over this one….looks yummy. I bet it would be killer served chilled as well.

Asparagus Soup with Lemon Crème Fraîche

5 STAR rating

6 first-course

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    1 cup sliced shallots (about 6 large)
    2 pounds asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
    1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel

RECIPE PREPARATION

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus and coriander; stir 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Strain into same pan, pressing on solids to release liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.

Stir crème fraîche, lemon juice, and lemon peel in small bowl. Divide soup among bowls. Top with dollop of lemon crème fraîche and serve.

Have no nutrition stats but every thing should be low carb except the shallots and found this so 1 cup shallots would be 14 net carbs for entire recipe of 6 servings.

Shallot Nutrition Facts

What is a shallots (which have the scientific name Allium cepa, or previously aggregatum) a good source of? Turns out many more common nutrients aside from having multiple forms of antioxidants. Their pungent flavor is believed to an indication of their blood vessel-dialing properties and ability to improve circulation and lower disease-causing inflammation. This is the reason why shallots are known as a heart-healthy food, just like garlic is.

One-half cup serving of diced shallots has about:

56 calories
    0 fat
    5 gram fiber
    6 grams sugar
    12 grams carbs
    832 milligrams vitamin A (17.5 percent DV)
    25 milligrams vitamin B6 (12.5 percent DV)
    5 milligrams vitamin C (10 percent DV)
    25 milligrams manganese (10 percent DV)
    234 milligrams potassium (7.5 percent DV)
    In addition to the sulfoxides found in shallots and other alliums, there are also peptides and proteins present that are capable of various immune-boosting activities — making shallots an important source of therapeutic agents.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Inka, thanks for the kind words. I know you will love the peanut sauced kholrabi. I practically lick the bowl when done. I find I do so much better on BSD when I find ways to make my limited food portions into something interesting that I actually look forward to. Boredom is a killer.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This looks lovely, LTC, warm or chilled! The nutrition facts re shallots are something I
    didn’t know, either. I’m always on the lookout for additional heart healthy ingredients.
    Potassium levels are great, too.
    Thanks for your generosity in posting this for me. You ARE the BEST!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Mother’s Day Brunch Ideas: The low carb website done by Melissa Sevigny, I BREATH I’M HUNGRY, has a great “round up” of brunch worth low carb dishes on her website today, both sweet (coffee cakes, etc) and savory (eggs topped with bacon baked in an avocado half….looks really good).

Anyway, here a link for anyone wanting to so something a little special for the mom in your life.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/125-best-keto-brunch-recipes-low-carb/

LTC

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Luv, great to see you out today! I’ve been hoping that you would see my post on another thread
    about starting a “Summer Salads” thread. Excellent thoughts from Marie, about whether or not it
    would be better placed on your marvelous thread. Any ideas? Since we both have to endure the
    high temps and high humidity on the east coast of the U.S., I feel certain that you have quite a
    repertoire up your sleeve, also 🙂 How are you doing?

xoxo
    Allie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Hi back to you Allie. My lorrrrd is it hot and humid in DC today. Much too warm for May. Salad was my lunch today so yes, thinking along the same lines.

Am doing better….had another 10 day kick in the gut re. my intermittant “chronic fatigue”. Did a blood test for lyme….but negative, which was disappointing as I hoped they would find something that could be fixed. So once again I just wait it out. Yesterday I began emerging from the fog and feel like me with some energy today.

Your Thai salad looks yummy. Esnecca would have encouraged you to throw in some kelp / glass “noodles” as a base. They really are great…lots of fiber and zero carbs and add that Asian vibe to salads. I found them in an Asian market as SeaTangle Noodles. They are made from the colorless fiber in kelp, and are very firm in the bag but soaking in water with 1 – 2 tsps of baking soda for 3- 4 min softens them up nicely. Still have an “al dente” crunch but feels just perfect for salads and Asian soups.

Hope you all have a great weekend….a 3 day holiday for us in the US (Memorial Day….a rememberance of the sacrifices of our service men and women). My dad and 3 uncles all served in WW2 so am duty bound to fly the flag for them, which is my honor.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh NO, LTC! Not another episode! These bouts are so debilitating! I understand why they keep testing you for Lyme,
    though. It’s a very different kind of fatigue than just a skipped night of sleep, isn’t it? All the Lyme test can really do
    is test for titers, which confirms that you have been exposed to it. I tested negative for it twice, and it was only because
    my neurologist had it herself, that she persisted in re-testing me. Do you have any cognitive symptoms, or neurological
    ones such as tremors in your hands? How about fevers or sweats wen you shed the bacteria? The very worst part of
    Lyme is when it is a late stage, disseminated, diagnosis. About 25% of us fail to get the “bullseye” rash, and then it’s
    so much harder to treat. Unfortunately, Lyme mimics so many other conditions, MS is just one of them. One blessing
    is that your symptoms have a clearly defined beginning and an end…though. I’m glad that you’re beginning to feel
    more like yourself 🙂 Looking forward to seeing what you have in your talented arsenal regarding full course salads!
    Take care of yourself, my friend 🙂

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Thanks for the good wishes Allie. The fatigue is more annoying than anything else….at least I am not working now so no pressure to be up and at it if not feeling the love on any given day.

Will poke thru my collection and see what I can find in the way of main course salads that might temp you all…and be BSD compliant of course.

XOXO LTC

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

MAIN DISH SALADS FOR SUMMER

For vegetarians, spiced and grilled tofu could be substituted for any of the protiens below

Hope there is something for everyone

Fennel and Spinach Salad with Shrimp and Balsamic Vinaigrette

Cooking Light Magazine
    Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: about 3 1/2 cups)

Ingredients
    3 slices center-cut bacon
    1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
    2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 medium bulb)
    1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
    1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion…..cut this in half for low carb yummy but carby
    1 (9-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
    2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots….ditto here…..cut in half (can add some onion powder to dressing if you wish)
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
    1. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings, and crumble. Add the shrimp to pan, and cook 2 minutes, turning once.
    2. Combine bacon, 2 cups fennel, grape tomatoes, red onion, and baby spinach in a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add the shrimp and balsamic mixture to spinach mixture; toss well.

The following salad is a personal favorite….great flavor with very little effort but the fish sauce, cilantro/coriander and mint are the keys…so not skip these.

Vietnamese Style Chicken Salad
    Fine Cooking

Servings: 4

Dress up grilled chicken breasts with bright Vietnamese flavors. The salad is built off packaged coleslaw mix, enhanced with fresh mint and cilantro, crunchy peanuts, and a sweet-and-salty dressing of fish sauce and rice vinegar.

Ingredients
    3 small shallots, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup),,,cut in half for lower carbs unless you can (1 shallot has about 6 net carbs)
    1 jalapeno, chopped (seed first if you want less heat)
    1 Tbs. granulated sugar…use sugar substitute like stevia or erythritol to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    3 Tbs. fish sauce
    1 lb. boneless, skinless, thin-sliced (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) chicken breast cutlets
    Kosher salt
    6 oz. pkg coleslaw mix (or sliced cabbage…combo red and green nice)
    1 cup fresh mint leaves, torn if large
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    1/4 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Prepare a medium grill fire.
With a mortar and pestle, pound the shallots, jalapeno, sugar, and 1/8 tsp. pepper until the shallots are very soft (but not pureed) and liquid is released. Transfer to a large serving bowl and stir in the vinegar and fish sauce.

Season the chicken with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper and grill, turning once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Let cool and then shred the chicken with your fingers into long thin strips, pulling the meat along its natural grain.

Toss the coleslaw mix into the vinegar mixture. Add the chicken, mint, and cilantro and combine well. Top with the peanuts and serve at room temperature.

Buffalo Chicken Salad
    Ellie Krieger

Yield: 4 servings
    User Rating: 5 Stars

2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper hot sauce (or other hot sauce), plus more to taste
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 hearts Romaine, cut into 1-inch strips (about 8 cups)
    4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
    2 carrots, coarsely grated…skip for low carb, fine if on maintenance
    2 scallions, green part only, sliced
    1/2 cup Blue Cheese Dressing, recipe follows

Preheat the broiler. Put the chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a mallet or hammer so the chicken is an even thickness of about 3/4-inch, then cut the chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. In a large bowl, combine the hot sauce and the oil, add chicken and toss until the chicken is well coated. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and broil* until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.

* LTC: I prefer using a grill pan on the stove top.

In a large bowl combine the Romaine, celery, shredded carrots and scallions. Toss with the dressing. Divide the greens between 4 plates, top with the chicken. Serve with extra hot sauce.

Blue Cheese Dressing:
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup plain full fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon sugar substitute (or skip)
    1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
    Salt and freshly ground pepper

Fold a full sheet of paper towel into quarters and put it into a small bowl. Spoon the yogurt onto the paper towel and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to drain and thicken. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and thickened yogurt into the mayonnaise until smooth. Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to whisk until all the ingredients are well combined. Stir in the blue cheese and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

This recipe calls for grilled tuna but you could use salmon as well or even swordfish

Grilled Tuna and Watercress Salad with Asian Flavors

Makes 4 (main course) servings
    Searing the tuna well on the outside but leaving it rare on the inside gives you a lovely contrast between the two textures.
    Ingredients
    • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
    • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
    • 6 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
    • 2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger
    • 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
    • 2 tablespoons white peppercorns, coarsely crushed
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 (1-pound) sushi-grade tuna steak (about 2 inches thick)
    • 1 pound jicama, peeled.. or can use daikon radish or other low carb fresh crunchy vegetable
    • 2 bunches watercress (10 ounces), tough stems discarded..or use arugula / rocket, or even spinach or baby kale
    • 2 scallions, very thinly sliced

Preparation
    Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (high heat for gas), or use grill pan.
    Whisk together olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger.
    Combine coriander seeds, white peppercorns, and kosher salt in a small bowl.
    Rub vegetable oil all over tuna, then coat with spice mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere.
    Oil grill rack, then grill tuna, covered only if using a gas grill, turning onto all sides, until seared on all sides but still very rare inside, 6 to 8 minutes total. For less rare tuna, cook an additional 2 minutes.
    Transfer tuna to a cutting board and cut across the grain into 8 slices.
    Julienne jicama using an adjustable-blade slicer fitted with 1/8-inch julienne attachment or using a knife.
    Toss watercress and jicama with enough dressing to coat, then season with salt and pepper.
    Serve tuna over salad, sprinkled with scallions. Serve remaining dressing on the side.
    Cooks’ notes:
    •The tuna in this recipe will not be fully cooked.
    •Tuna can be cooked in a lightly oiled hot grill pan over medium-high heat.
    •Tuna can be grilled 1 day ahead and chilled (covered once cool).

CHICKEN BLT SALAD WITH SPICY AVOCADO RANCH DRESSING
    Serves 4
    INGREDIENTS

DRESSING
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 large ripe avocados
    2 jalapeno peppers, seeded if desired
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

SALAD
    12 strips thin bacon, cut into 4 smaller strips
    Romaine or red leaf lettuce
    Grilled chicken
    Thinly sliced red onion
    Roma tomatoes
    1 large avocado, pitted and cut into wedges

INSTRUCTIONS
    DRESSING
    Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.

SALAD
    Cut the bacon strips in half widthwise, then cut in half lengthwise to create four “mini” strips of bacon. Place in a skillet or saute pan. Cook over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
    Place lettuce in salad bowls or on a plate. Top with chicken, red onion, tomatoes, avocado and bacon. Drizzle wtih dressing. Serve immediately.

CHICKEN GREEN BEAN AND WALNUT PARSLEY SALAD

4 cups cut green beans , par boiled for 2 minutes and cooled
    2 cups diced cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped…or any combo of fresh herbs (basil would be nice)
    1 (4 ounce / 120 g) package of chopped walnuts, lightly toasted (be very careful not to burn them)
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or more to taste)
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    salt and pepper…dash of cayenne pepper if so inclined

4 servings

1. Tip cooked and cooled green beans, chicken, parsley, and nuts in a large bowl.
    2. Whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
    3. Pour the dressing over the beans and chicken mixture and toss well.
    4. Let sit on counter for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend, or stash in frig for 1-2 hours. Bring back to room temp to serve.

Grilled Skirt Steak and Arugula Salad with Roquefort and Catalina Dressing
    by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby in Gourmet Magazine

user rating 100% would make it again rating of 4 out of 4

yield: Makes 4 (main course) servings
    Incredibly rich and flavorful, skirt steak is ideal for this particular salad, but you can also use any other type of steak you might happen to have. Flank steak would be great.

Ingredients
    • 1 tablespoon sugar free ketchup
    • 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
    • 2 teaspoons sugar substitute
    • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 pound skirt or flank steak, trimmed of excess fat and halved crosswise
    • 2 bunches arugula/ rocket (3/4 pound), tough stems discarded…or could use spinach or combo
    • 1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort or other blue cheese (1/4 pound)

Preparation
    Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (high heat for gas);
    Whisk together ketchup, mustard, sugar, garlic, lime juice, vinegar, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
    Pat steak dry and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Oil grill rack, then grill steak, covered only if using a gas grill, turning once, 4 to 6 minutes total for medium-rare.
    Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest, loosely covered with foil, 5 minutes.
    Toss arugula with enough dressing to coat.
    Thinly slice steak diagonally across the grain. Serve steak over salad, sprinkled with Roquefort.

Cooks’ notes: •Steak can be grilled in a lightly oiled hot grill pan over medium-high heat (it may need to be cut into 4 pieces to fit in pan).
    •Steak can be grilled 1 day ahead and chilled (covered once cool). Bring to room temperature before serving.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Your thread just SINGS to me, Luv 🙂 These will keep me busy all summer! I love Asian flavors, too. Have you used
    smashed lemon grass much? I’m going after kelp noodles next, now that you’ve reposted Essie technique for
    softening them. You’ve awakened the sleeping giant in me…But then you already know that!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, I love lemongrass. Matter of fact, I like it so much that I have been buying the herb pastes in a tube available in the vegetable /herb section of most grocers. My favorites are lemongrass, cilantro, basil and ginger….that way you can add a quick squirt/ tsp here and there to add flavor to lots of things. Makes a humdrum vinaigrette into basil vinaigrette or lemongrass vinaigrette….also great for marinades, etc.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

If you don’t have a stove top grill pan I highy recommend you try one. I do a lot of “one pan meals” on my grill pan. Had a lamb blade steak for lunch today seasoned with salt/pepper/olive oil and herbs de provence cooked 2 min per side on my grill pan. On the same pan cooked a bundle of asparagus that I rolled around in a Tbs of olive oil….plopped down on grill pan and turned once. Finished with salt & pepper and a tiny drizzle of sherry vinegar and more EV olive oil. Only one pan to clean up and was lovely. Not quite the same as a charcoal grill, but next best thing.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Two more salads….one new one that sounds lovely with smoked salmon or lox, the other an old favorite that many of you probably have had at your favorite French bistros, Salad Lyonnaise) with frisbee, bacon and a poached egg. I just love it.

Spinach and Smoked Salmon Salad with Lemon Dill Dressing

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/march-2008-spinach-and-smoked-salmon-salad-with-lemon-dill-dressing

This refreshingly crunchy salad makes for an excellent spring lunch or super quick dinner.

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoon chopped dill
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    8 cups baby spinach (7 ounces)
    6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch ribbons
    1 medium English cucumber—peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
    4 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
    2 scallions, thinly sliced

In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and dill and season with salt and pepper. Add the spinach, smoked salmon, cucumber, radishes and scallions to the bowl and toss well. Transfer the salad to plates and serve.

SALADE LYONNAISE (FRISÉE, POACHED EGG, AND BACON SALAD)
    Hailing from Lyon, this French bistro standard gathers a delectable trio of bitter frisée, runny poached egg, and crisp lardons.
    Andre Baranowski
    Hailing from Lyon, this French bistro standard gathers a delectable trio of bitter frisée, runny poached egg, and crisp lardons. The salad gets an extra hit of pork flavor from emulsifying the vinaigrette with bacon fat; breaking the yolks into the greens adds even more richness.
    https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Frisee-Salad-with-Poached-Eggs-and-Bacon

SERVES 4
    Ingredients
    5 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1⁄2″-strips
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp. Dijon mustard
    1 small shallot, minced
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    8 oz. frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
    1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
    4 eggs
    Instructions
    Boil bacon and 1 cup water in a 12″ skillet. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook until water is evaporated and bacon is crisp, 35–40 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Transfer 3 tbsp. bacon fat to a large bowl. Add lemon juice, mustard, shallot, salt, and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until vinaigrette is emulsified. Add reserved bacon and the frisée; toss and divide between 4 plates.
    Boil a 4-quart saucepan of water; add vinegar, reduce heat to medium, and, using a slotted spoon, swirl water. Crack eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin, and slide into water; cook until whites are set, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, divide eggs between plates; garnish with more black pepper.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Here is a really different way to do a quick lunch ….makes eggs seem interesting again. Done in 2 minutes on the stove top and 5 min in the oven. Easy Peasy.

CAMBODIAN MUSHROOM PORK FRITTATA

from Milk Street

4 SERVINGS

This rich, frittata-like omelet is delicious hot, but it’s also wonderful at room temperature.

Don’t use a conventional skillet. A nonstick coating is key, allowing the omelet to easily slide out of the pan. Also, make sure the skillet, including its handle, is oven-safe, as the omelet finishes cooking in the oven at 400°F.

INGREDIENTS

8 ounces ground pork
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce, divided
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    2 teaspoons white sugar…do sugar replacement for low carb
    2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    Ground white pepper
    8 large eggs
    1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
    3 tablespoons peanut oil
    6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps finely chopped
    8 scallions, finely chopped
    Cilantro leaves, to serve
    Lime wedges, to serve

DIRECTIONS

Heat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the upper-middle position.

In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix together the pork, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, the fish sauce, sugar, ginger and ½ teaspoon white pepper. In a separate medium bowl, beat the eggs, chili-garlic sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon soy sauce.

In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat the oil until just smoking. Add the pork mixture and the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up meat, until the pork is no longer pink and the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the scallions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the egg mixture over the pork mixture and cook, pushing and stirring from the edges to center, until the eggs just begin to set, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is set, about 5 minutes.

Set the skillet on a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Run a rubber spatula around the edge and under the omelet to loosen, then slide the omelet on to a cutting board. Cut into 8 wedges and transfer to a serving platter.

Serve with cilantro leaves and lime wedges.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Luvtcook
    I’ve been away for a few days so I’ve just read this thread. Just wanted to add my thanks to you for posting these salads etc. I’ve arrived at the point where I’ve reached my initial goals but know in order to maintain (and continue to enjoy!) this way of life I really need to be more adventurous/start experimenting with my cooking etc. I also know how completely debilitating chronic fatigue can be so I hope you are beginning to regain some of your energy levels and the medics can identify what’s going on. xx

Allie – my thanks to you, too xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

You should see my growing spices and dried herb collection with various vinegars, oils, seeds etc! I feel like a proper cook now…:) I’m getting so much more adventurous and just like you, Luv, prefer one pan/skillet cooking with just a bowl for salad making. Keeping it simple is the key! Those salads look amazing so thanks to you and Allie for her salad also. Plenty to have a go at! Sorry to hear about the recurring fatigue… it does sound a bit like Allie’s Lyme disease symptoms… but clearly not that. I hope you feel back to normal soon.
    Kx

• posted by marie123
    on

Kazz, goodness, I’ve got such a long way to go… but I’m determined to get there!.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Everybody seems to be embracing trying new things, new herbs, new spices. I get inspiration back from all of you all as well.

Just recieved a new low carb cookbook from a low carb blogger that I really like. She is making low carb Jalepeno and Cilantro hummus using cauliflower puree to stand in for the chickpeas (still uses tahini for richness). Swears you cannot tell it from the real thing. Plan to give that a try and will report back if it is as good as she promises. Also has a Roasted Pepper Hummus as well. Sounds tempting.

Allie your cantelope and prosciutto salad sounds lovely. Cantelope is a bit high in carbs to enjoy on its own, so putting in a salad where you get to enjoy it in smaller quanitites with other things sounds like the perfect solution. I look forward to seeing / trying it.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi
    I’ve just been tracking back to the beginning of this thread which suggests some lovely festive but low-carb meals e.g. Spinach Cheese and Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Breasts, salmon dishes etc. If anybody is wondering what meals to prepare over the festive season it’s worth looking on here.

But also, I have just been re-directed from another forum to a diet doctor ‘happy holidays’ page which has some lovely recipes https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/happy-holidays – also worth a look.

Jennie

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It’s high time this excellent thread came back into circulation for all the new BSDers and veterans looking for new ideas. I’ll kick off the festivities with a little experiment I did that turned out more than satisfactory. Even carb-eaters wolfed these down when I brought them to a family event. They didn’t even notice they were sugar-free.

In the bad old days I was something of a cheesecake expert, and I used to make lots of different kinds. One of them had almond crumb crust. I used that as a starting point and made a low carb version using a mini muffin pan instead of the classic 10″ springform pan so portion control would be easy. I chose pecans because they’re so low in carbs and cinnamon because it goes so well with pecans and because it makes everything taste sweet even without sugar.

Cinnamon Pecan Mini Cheesecakes
    Crust:
    2 oz pecans, ground to a fine crumb
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp pure monkfruit extract*
    1 tblsp inulin fiber*
    1 tblsp melted butter
    Filling:
    6 oz cream cheese
    1 tsp pure monkfruit extract*
    2 tblsp inulin fiber*
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I use vanilla powder, which is the entire pod ground to dust, but it’s a bit tricky to find and extract does the trick too. Flavorings also work great.)
    1 egg

* A note on the monkfruit and inulin: Over the years I’ve stripped away the sweeteners I was still using when I started the BSD (aspartame, saccharine, sucralose, malitol, erythritol, stevia) and have settled on these two guys as the best ones in terms of calories, insulin response and taste. If you can’t find them, you can sub in a non-sugar sweetener that works for you, but be very, very light-handed about it. Pecans and cinnamon always taste like desert entirely on their own, and once you add vanilla to cream cheese, it does too.

Make the crust:
    Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a mini-muffin pan with 16 paper or silicone liners.
    Mix the pecan flour, monkfruit, inulin and cinnamon together in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter until the mixture begins to clump together.
    Put about a teaspoon into each cup and press firmly with your fingertips into the bottom. Try to get as even and as firmly packed a layer as you can. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool.

Turn the oven down to 300F.

Make the filling:
    In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sweetener at the lowest speed of your hand mixer. Add the sour cream, vanilla and beat, again on the lowest speed, until fully combined.
    Put about a tablespoon of filling into each of the cups, then distributing any remaining filling evenly. Top with a light sprinkle of cinnamon.
    Bake 15-20 minutes, until the filling is set but it still jiggles slightly in the middle. Turn off the oven but the keep the pan inside for 5. Remove and place on a cooling rack for an hour. Put in the fridge for at least two hours before eating.

Each mini cheesecake is 80 calories and zero net carbs (2 grams fiber).

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thanks so much. At what point did you add the egg? With the sour cream? Do you beat the egg white separately until stiff and fold in? 🧀

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Oops, yes! Egg goes in with the sour cream and vanilla. It’s the whole egg. I do not separate and whip the whites because I like all my cheesecakes to have the satiny, dense texture of the New York style. (The first cheesecake I ever had was at Gaiety Delicatessen in New York and it remains the gold standard for me.) You could totally try it, though, if you wanted to experiment with an airier filling.

Your monkfruit and stevia combination sweetener should work very nicely. Pure monkfruit extract can be hard to locate and it’s very expensive. It’s worth it to have on hand, though, if you can find any, because the tiniest pinch will do the trick and it has a really lovely taste to it. Sweeter than sucrose but really fresh tasting, not cloying or sticky sweet at all. It’s quite miraculous, really.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you SO MUCH Esnecca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive had some more practice runs with the recommended Chia Pudding – and have finally got a “quantities and additives” mix which makes me drool! Im most grateful because a little sweet is like a necessary, final course/page to a meal sometimes – and with fresh or frozen berries, a little cream . . . fresh and thick – with nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled over the top in a ladylike crystal “sweets dish” from another era . . . it makes me feel specially spoiled 🙂 Quack! Quack!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Just to say Esnecca that the mini pecan cheesecakes (not so mini as I made 8, but some left!), minus the sweeteners but with fresh raspberries went down a treat! The pecan crumb is inspired; I wonder about some kind of variation on Florentines; mix the ground nuts with melted butter and melted dark choc; freeze dried raspberries? Or ginger? I may experiment and report back!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

After a major spleen vent on the FASTING thread, I wanted to re-post two recipes I have found that have been HUGE help to me : one for a very soft, and to me, delicious and easy flax bread, and a flax seed cracker. The crackers have essentially zero carbs, the flax bread 1.9 net carbs for a thick 3/4 inch slab of a slice. They round out my very very low low carb diet and help my GI move’n and groov’n.

The bread is very “pumpernickel” like….add caraway seeds to mimic rye bread.
    Brown Flaxseed Bread from elanaspantry
    Full of healthy fiber and ultra delicious, we are absolutely in love with this bread!
    Baked loaf weighed 1.3 lb (21oz) 1964 cal for the loaf
    This comes to 94 cal and 1.1 net carbs per oz
    Servings: 12 3/4-in (1.75 oz) slices 164 cal per slice net carbs 1.99
    2 cups brown flaxmeal (6.2 oz)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
    ½ teaspoon Celtic finely ground sea salt (or 1 tsp coarse)
    In blender:
    5 large eggs
    ½ cup water
    ⅓ cup olive oil
    Instructions:
    In a med bowl combine flax meal, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Mix well
    Put eggs, water, and olive oil in bullet blender and mix well (or beat well with a whisk).
    Stir wet ingredients into remaining dry, mixing well
    Allow batter to stand 3 minutes or so to thicken (try letting stand in bowl vs in loaf pan and see if it makes any difference).
    Gently spoon batter into a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (or line with parchment paper).
    Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean
    Cool for 30 minutes
    Cal for entire loaf: 1964 carbs: 77.5 fiber: 53.6 net carbs 23.9
    Servings: 12 thick slices cal 164 per slice net carbs 1.99
    Rosemary & Sea Salt Flax Crackers Mellissa Sevigny IBIH
    ★★★★★
    4.6 from 28 reviews
    Calories: 998 plus 80 cal more for whole flax and chia seeds now 1078
    Net Carbs: 2.6g* FOR THE WHOLD $#@% BATCH !!!
    Batch weighed 4.8 oz. …roughly 5 servings of .9 oz each
    INGREDIENTS
    1 cup ground (or milled) golden flax seeds (3.1 oz)
    LTC: add 2 Tbs (.6oz) of unground flax seed and1 Tbs( .3 oz) chia seed for nice crunch
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup grated parm – (good old dry Kraft parm in the green shaker can works great here)
    1/4 tsp minced/crushed dried rosemary
    For top: Sea salt, black pepper & chia seed sprinkled over
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) . Set out one sheet pan and prep 2 sheets if parchment paper (drizzle oil on one, place second on top and move around against the first to oil both well.
    Add all of the ingredients (except salt) to a medium bowl. Stir until fully combined.
    Form your dough into a ball and place between two sheets of parchment paper (no bigger than your baking sheet). Roll out the size of the baking sheet for crackers, or divide ball in two and roll out extra thin in two batches for “chips”.
    Leave top sheet of parchment on and place the lot on the baking sheet. Bake 3 miutes.
    Remove from oven. Take off top sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and chia seed.
    Return to oven and bake 15 minutes.
    Remove from oven. Insert cooling rack into baking sheet still in overn.
    Cut the warm cracker into squares (it score a grid) with a knife, bench scraper, or pizza cutter.
    Spread crackers over the cooling grid in oven to all the bottoms to crisp.
    Bake 5 additional minutes.
    Turn oven off and let crackers dry in oven as it cools down.
    NUTRITION
    Serving Size: 1 batch
    Calories: 998 Net Carbs: 2g
    Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 32g
    Protein: 55g
    Fat: 70g

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m posting this on your thread, rather than “June July starters” LTC, with high hopes that this is where you are most likely
    to see it. I flipped out with joy to see your update!! Hope springs eternal, and I never lost hope for your return. I have
    missed you dreadfully! It’s so good to hear from you. 🙂 I’m filled with curiousity about the 5 day egg protocol. In the
    6 month period when you haven’t been posting, many of us not only use the forums daily, but some of us have
    taken to using skype and email also. Unless you have been following along, you probably don’t know Birdy, who generously
    has put up an address/clearing center which allows us to get in touch with each other without leaving our email addresses
    on an open forum. She is an angel! I’d love to catch up further, so let me know here what you think of this idea, and I’ll
    repost this address. Again, it’s fabulous to see you!

Folks, those who may not know luvtcook…She is a master cook, and all of her recipes are fantastic!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, would love to have your e-mail and share mine…..tell me how this works going thru Birdy.

I will post a link to the Egg Fast for anyone interested….but I am also going to give a modified version a try ….again, zero (or maybe up to 5-7 a day) carbs but a wider variety of foods. Another fast “cheat” that I do to stave off the empty stomach feelind is do Esnecca’s oat fiber shirataki “faux pho”….great belly filler.

I’ll go find the Egg Fast link and post it. Melissa Sevigny has develped several meals that help keep boredom at a tolerable level on the crazy thing. But the bottom line is that it broke me out of a plateau. God bless it.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

The 5 day Egg Fast ….link provided.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/egg-fast-diet-menu-plan-low-carb-keto/

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about the Keto Egg Fast

Where can I go for support and help while on the keto egg fast diet menu plan?

In addition to posting questions and your progress here in the comments, you can join our IBIH Egg Fast Group on Facebook to get support and encouragement from others doing the egg fast!

I like the menu for Day 4 of the Keto Egg Fast Meal Plan, can I just eat that all five days?

Sure, go nuts.

Can I have heavy whipping cream (HWC) on the keto egg fast diet?

No. This plan doesn’t use heavy whipping cream. If you want to risk it and can’t stand to drink your coffee any other way, then go ahead and try it – if you’re not losing weight, the first thing to go should be the HWC and see if that makes a difference. If you do it with HWC and lose a bunch of weight, please let us know in the comments so others will know it’s possible.

Can I drink alcohol on this low carb egg fast plan?

No. Alcohol impedes liver function and you need your liver focused on metabolizing your fat – otherwise what’s the point of putting yourself through this?

Why Bulletproof Coffee (BPC) and what is it?

Bulletproof coffee is coffee made with MCT oil (or coconut oil), and grassfed unsalted butter. It has thermogenic (fat burning) properties, and gives you ridiculous amounts of energy. Plus it tastes amazing.

To make it: Combine 6-8 ounces of coffee with 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (I use Kerrygold), and 1 Tbsp of MCT oil (coconut oil works if you can’t get MCT oil). You can also add sugar free sweetener – I make Mr. Hungry’s with Splenda (he prefers it) and cinnamon – it’s yummy.

The key to good BPC is that you emulsify it. I use this battery-powered, hand-held frother thingy and it works great. Others make it in a magic bullet or blender and blend for 20 seconds or so. You can’t just stir it in with a spoon or you’ll have a gross oil slick on top. Ewww.

Try bulletproof – you’ll never want to go back to heavy cream again – or at least we didn’t!

Do I need to be in ketosis already to do the keto egg fast diet?

No, but it will be easier if you are – the detox symptoms of getting into ketosis can be rough already on first timers – doing something as extremely low carb as the egg fast right off the bat will be much harder. I recommend easing into it with my 3 Day Keto Kickstart Plan if you’re a complete newbie to any low carb plan. If you’re really desperate to get started on the egg fast though – go ahead and give it a shot, you’ve been warned.

What should I drink while on the keto egg fast diet menu plan?

Water – and lots of it! Aim for 100 ounces per day.

Can I drink diet soda or other calorie free drinks on the low carb egg fast diet?

Diet soda is inherently unhealthy for you. However, I did have a few Diet Cokes while on the plan. It helped clear my palate and made me not want to kill myself when we were at people’s homes and everyone else was eating and drinking things I wished I was having. Limit it to special occasions though if possible. If it makes the difference between staying on the plan or giving up – a diet soda won’t kill you. I also had some sweetener free sparkling water while on the plan, which helped break the monotony. Make sure you’re getting most of your liquid from regular water though and avoid the diet sodas if you can.

Should I take vitamins or supplements on the keto egg fast diet plan?

If you’re already taking vitamins or supplements, continue as long as they are mostly sugar free. Don’t stop taking any medications! If you aren’t already supplementing with magnesium and potassium (lite salt added to your food works best), then you should start. Be sure to get plenty of sodium as well. These three things will help you avoid getting cramps, headaches, and help regulate your fluids to avoid lightheadedness, heart palpitations, etc. as you release any retained water (which you should be drinking A LOT of) during the fast.

But what about fiber? How will I stay “regular?”

Magnesium is a mild laxative and will help with this if you’re supplementing (as you should be.) In addition, because you are eating so much fat, it should keep things running smoothly. Bulletproof coffee is your friend.

Is any cheese ok on this egg fast diet plan?

Any full fat, less than 1g net carb per ounce type of cheese should be ok. (cream cheese, mascarpone, cheddar, mozzarella, brie, monterrey jack, etc.)

I’m dairy free, can I still do the egg fast diet plan?

Yes – but most of my egg fast recipes will not work for you. You’ll have to stick to eggs and another pure fat like olive oil or coconut oil. It will be monotonous but you can still get results. Cheese substitutes made with nuts or soy are not recommended – but you can always try it and see what happens.

I don’t like or am allergic to eggs, do you have any suggestions on how I can modify this keto egg fast menu plan to be egg free?

No.

Can I have toast with my eggs if I put butter on it? (True story)

No.

Why didn’t you post the nutrition info and calories on this egg fast menu plan?

Each person will eat a different amount, making it hard to calculate for this keto menu plan. Also, egg fasting is hard enough without trying to calculate everything that goes into your mouth. Focus on eating until you’re full and no more. That may even mean eating more than this plan calls for – especially in the first couple of days.

You’ll find that you’ll eat a lot less as the week continues – you won’t need to worry about the calories. Also I lost the most on the days that I ate the most calories – when you start to restrict calories in order to maximize the results, I think it can actually have the opposite effect. All the nutrition info is available for the recipes in those posts, if you really must know you can easily figure it out on your own based on the quantities you are actually eating.

Can I develop an intolerance to eggs from eating too many of them?

Allergies can come on at any time and any age – but they are not caused by overeating a certain food. You may notice an intolerance that wasn’t obvious previously if you start eating more of something you already have an issue with. If eggs make you feel funny, stop eating them for sure and see an allergist to get tested.

I’m scared to do the keto egg fast because it will make me hate eggs forever…

I can’t say for sure that it won’t happen, but it’s unlikely. I couldn’t stand the thought of another egg by Day five. Had two fried eggs with butter this morning – still delicious. The plan is designed to keep you from getting sick of eggs by varying the form that you eat them in and mixing up sweet and savory. I think you’ll be ok. If you already love eggs, then you might be looking forward to some variety by the end of the fast, but you’ll be back to enjoying them again soon after. That being said, if you hate eggs forever after doing this plan, I take no responsibility – you knew the risks.

Can I eat fruits and vegetables on the keto egg fast diet?

This is a late addition to the FAQ’s based on the comments. The answer is NO. That being said, if you want to experiment with a handful of spinach here, a few romaine leaves there, some chopped onions and peppers thrown into your eggs, etc. then that is completely up to you, and you might still have great results.

I’m not the boss of you and neither is the egg fast.

Here’s the problem – looking for loopholes and making eggceptions (sorry, couldn’t help myself and I should get credit for holding out this long with no egg puns by the way – it wasn’t easy, ya know!) with a little of this and a little of that is a slippery slope. If you want to do the egg fast the way it was intended by the originators – you don’t eat any fruits or vegetables. The end.

5 Day Keto Egg Fast Diet Menu Plan plus 2 Transition Days

Day One

Breakfast

Coffee or Tea – Black or Bulletproof (1 Tbsp MCT oil or coconut oil + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter)(sugar free sweetener if desired)
    2 – 3 eggs fried or scrambled with 2 Tbsp butter

Snack

1 String Cheese or 1 ounce of other cheese

Lunch

1/2 cup Simple Egg Salad (and no, you can’t have the bacon shown in the photo on that egg salad recipe during this egg fast plan)
    1 deli slice cheddar cheese, quartered and microwaved until crisp (approx 30 seconds)

Snack

Dinner

1 serving Buffalo Omelette (if really hungry you can eat the entire omelette, even though the serving size in the recipe is shown as only 1/2)

Day 2

Breakfast

Coffee or Tea – Black or Bulletproof (1 Tbsp MCT oil or coconut oil + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter)(sugar free sweetener if desired)

Snack

Lunch

1/2 cup Simple Egg Salad
    1 deli slice cheddar cheese, quartered and microwaved until crisp (approx 30 seconds)

Snack

Dinner

2 (or more) Snickerdoodle Crepes

Day 3

Breakfast

Snack

Lunch

1 Cream Cheese Pancake, 1 Tbsp sugar free mayonnaise, 1 deli slice cheddar cheese

(spread the mayo on the pancake, top with cheese, roll up and eat like a wrap)

Snack

2 Easy Deviled Eggs (4 halves)

Dinner

1 serving Buffalo Omelette

Day 4

Breakfast

Snack

Lunch

2 Snickerdoodle Crepes

Snack

Dinner

1 – 2 servings of Salted Caramel Custard

Day 5

Breakfast

Coffee or Tea – Black or Bulletproof (1 Tbsp MCT or coconut oil + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter), (sugar free sweetener if desired)

Snack

Lunch

1 serving Salted Caramel Custard

Snack

Dinner

1 serving Fettuccini Alfredo

Day 6 (transition day)

Breakfast

Snack

1/2 avocado w/ lite salt and pepper

Lunch

1/2 cup Simple Egg Salad

Snack

Dinner

6 – 8 classic buffalo wings, celery sticks, 2 Tbsp blue cheese dressing

Day 7 (transition day)

Breakfast

Snack

Lunch

1 serving Fettuccini Alfredo

Snack

Dinner

1 serving No Chop Chili
    2 Tbsp sour cream
    1 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

And for anyone who has not tried Bullet Proof Coffee (weird name), and is appalled at the idea of so much fat in a coffee (for God sake!)….well, I once shared your skepticism. I tried it once and became an instant convert. Putting the mess in a blender whips it into a texture like cocoa….so you end up with a latte flavored (non chocolate) cocoa. Sprinkle cinammon on top…..absolutely delicious and very filling. Keeps me sated 6 hrs+ easily.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I will read your subsequent posts with great interest, LTC! I have heard of bulletproof coffee, too. For the moment though,
    I’m focused on giving you Birdy’s email address so we might get on with catching up 🙂 I’ve already notified her that
    she will be hearing from you. Just use this, leaving out all the ampersands that I’ve included (to confuse evil hackers!)

BSD&angels800@&gmail,com

This will be great fun…I can’t wait! xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sorry for the typo! It a period between gmail.com, not a comma! I’m such a dunce!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

I found that when I cut and pasted….and IT CAME BACK UNDELIVERABLE! I’m going to blame it on 68 yr old eyes on my end. Need to read more carefully. Resent….so hope it goes thru. No bounce back yet. Fingers crossed.

• posted by alliecat
    on

No worries, LTC. I’ll just take the risk and put up my own email address for you, with a few extra characters thrown in, which
    you will have to throw out. I won’t be thwarted in making this connection! As far as I’m concerned, it’s long overdue 🙂 🙂 🙂
    I’m sure you remember KazzUK, and she also has an address separate from her everyday email, and we can try that too.
    Technology cannot defeat us!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Ok….do not see it yet….assume coming in a seperate post on this thread?

• posted by alliecat
    on

There are a number of technoglitches happening on this site today, LTC. When you type my address, just omit the $ and
    % symbols, and you will arrive in my inbox 🙂

ollieart$50@%comcast.net Fingers crossed!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi LTC! It’s good to see you! Hope you are keeping well? You have been missed! You can try this BSD address….. kazzlchf@yahoo.com and I can connect you that way. Xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, Kazz! LTC and I are connected at last! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.