ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 7th OF MAY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Patricia ! When do you leave for Sardinia ? I am relying on you for restaurant recommendations you realise 😉

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Esnecca
    I’d love to see your recipe for the pecan cheesecakes. I was planning to experiment with cheese cake using ricotta, but your idea sounds yummy.

Thanks, Merry

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank Wendleg . . . Didnt know you were unwell and trust your recovery will be speedy my friend.
    Doing my best with SEVERAL individual issues – not all in the one arena! nor two on the same levels, so cant even cover two birds with one stone anywhere. Am trying to go out, be busy, but feel VERY disjointed and distracted. As do so many speedhumps . . Im sure these multiple hiccups will pass. Its just when!!! I do however appreciate and thank you for your advice 🙂 Im doing my best with what is available – so looking for tasks which relieve my mind of the constant “what ifs?” “whens” and is there anything AT ALL this always wants to help Duck can do 🙂 Patience seems in short supply and very much needed.
    I notice Golden Latte was mentioned! OH WOW how I enjoyed the one I had in New Zealand recently. Though Ive tried to make it since returning home, the right quantities of each ingredient to achieve the right flavour – (as per the cafe’s noticeboard recipe) – are eluding me 🙂 It doesnt quite taste nor satisfy as the first. Can anyone help please?
    Re someone having “itching” issues . . .? Im back to my abdomen (again) needing witchlike fingernails to ease the irritation at the most odd times – usually . . . when Id like to be sleeping!!! Sometimes a shower is all that will give longlasting relief. Seem to remember someone advising it could be/was related to – the body releasing “acetate”???

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Wendleg, I’ll be there for a week from 15th May.

I’m looking forward to eating here – check out La Salotta in Alghero.

Anticipating your holiday? You have plenty of time to recover and have a great time.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good morning/afternoon guys, great to see the thread busy.

Wendy I am so glad you are home, comfortable and the healing has begun! I am sure your hubby is doing a fine job and the cats are snuggling up and giving you lots of hugs. There is nothing quite like being in your own home when you need to heal. Well done on your discard my love, you will soon be where you want to be.❤️❤️

Well done wooduckie you have done amazingly and before you know you will have discarded that 10cm and then some. Even faced with upset and challenges you are coping and not head down the road of sugar and bad carbs. My hat is off to you🤗🥰.

Well done to our newbies and I am glad you are doing well. We are all routing for you. Lovely to see old faces back navigating this WOE and enjoying the benefits.

So I myself have a confession or two😢. My mum rung me yesterday to inform me that my Aunt was very ill in hospital. This is the Aunt that spurred me into starting this WOE. She has T2 and had already had to have her leg amputated because of this awful disease! Then they diagnosed her with breast cancer. My Aunty was never one for eating right beyond the first few months of being diagnosed. Poor food choices and a lack of exercise lead to the horrible reality of losing part of her leg. I had diabetes when pregnant and was told that I shouldn’t be surprised if I developed it later in life. I was on a self destruct course when it came to food and alcohol! Then my sister mentioned this diet and my mum and dad said they were going to try it too! So I ordered the book, read it over a weekend and started my amazing journey on April the 1st. I made a few rookie mistakes but I got there and I have been loving this WOE so far. I have discarded just over 2 stone in the 5 weeks I have been on it and my clothes all fit better, in fact some are too big already. It is amazing! Until last night! I was all prepared for me night shift and I ate well yesterday and my macros were on point! But I hate nights and with the added news of my Aunty I gave into temptation! I can’t even believe that I am using an excuse but my mind could not be sated! So I caved and bought mini Oreos., I knew even though my palate has changed they wouldn’t be that sweet and I HAD to have them! You get 6 little 42g bags in this box and I thought I will have one! I also gave one away to a colleague and the rest I thought would be good for the occasional treat for my boy. That didn’t happen! I ate the five remaining mini packets and then went up for my break and ate two packets of crisps!😞😢. The reality hit when I got home this morning and put it all in MFP! I consumed enough carbs last night that would take me nearly two weeks to consume! I have been on 20g per day since I started! I can’t quite believe it! I haven’t touched crisps in five weeks! My Aunty had the most devastating reaction to diabetes yet I still went for the sugar and carbs! So so stupid! We were going to Devon tomorrow morning but sadly she passed away last night. I am so sorry but this has made it so so real to me just how bad this disease is. I don’t want to bring anyone down and I apologise if I have upset anyone in anyway. I am so so grateful for this WOE, you guys and this forum. I am going to be sad and I have to break the news to my boy when he gets home, but I will take him to my mums for the weekend so we can spend time with her🥰❤️. I am hoping that I never slip like this again but the mind is a fickle thing and I have had these habits for comfort eating a lot longer than I have been on this WOE. The bad stuff is so so easy to get hold of and consume!

So today is a new day! I have my new books on order and I am looking forward to fermenting my own veg and helping the carb monsters in my gut to bugger off and not come back. I hope everyone is having a good day. I am not beating myself up anymore and getting my head back in the game. Thanks for putting up with my waffling guys. Much luck, love and happy discarding to you all. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

I’m so sorry to hear about your Aunt, Birdy. While it’s a tough time for you, I’m glad you’ve got some new books to look forward to and are doing the best thing – looking to the future and not back. Hope telling your boy goes as well as possible and some time with your Mum helps you all. My mother in law died just before Easter and I swear I ate anything that wasn’t nailed down – some habits I doubt I’ll ever break, but it’s learning the fast rebound back on track that’ll be the trick; easier to weather the storms when you know the route to port.

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Oh Birdy I’m so sorry for your loss 💜. Don’t give the Oreo’s another thought, life has a way of dealing us blows at the worst moments. Tomorrow is another day, you are doing fabulously. Sending much love xxxxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Birdy,
    I am sorry to hear about your aunt. – You are not alone in turning for food for comfort. – There is some research which suggests that the area of the brain stimulated by eating carbs is next to the area which picks up on your mood, to explain why we do turn to carbs for comfort. ———— I have been feeling stressed out this week, and have combined hitting carbs with physical activity. I should have just fed all the bread, scones, breakfast cereals, sweets and crisps left behind by the previous guests straight to the chickens on Monday. It happens.

I hope you enjoy your time with your mother, and successfully climb back on your perch on the waggon, –

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Saturday’s picnic has been rescheduled due to rain, which really is a load of my shoulders.
    I was considering an extended fast… Or starting back with strength training. I feel like my fickle heart really holds back my success. It’s difficult really…. I’m constantly surrounded by events that frustrate me, individuals who let me down. I want to try to refocus my brain on myself and the things I can achieve. Today I was 168.6
    A lack of consistency prevents me from seeing results this time around. I want to work on that. In a month, I have my nephews graduation party. I would like to be closer to 150 by then. My battle plan includes, omad 4x a week with the other three days (Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday) for fasting. I’m going to restart my fitness blender program today and aim for at least 10,000 steps daily even if it means strolling in my living room. And I’ll hop on here and reveal all my terribly unhealthy cravings instead of caving in. By June 9th, it would be nice to have slimmed down a bit, but more important to me is getting back on the positive and determined track I was walking at the tail end of last year.

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Oh Birdy, I’m so sorry to hear your sad news. Words can’t take that kind of pain away. I know I don’t know you well but I truly feel for you and please know you are in all our thoughts at this difficult time. Have a lovely weekend with your Mum and comfort each other, love each other and grieve together.
    You have been an inspiration to me joining this forum, so welcoming and friendly and ready to answer any questions. So I know you are fully committed to this WOE. Don’t beat yourself up but keep looking forward, you will be fermenting before long and I’ll be asking you for tips xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Birdy that is devastating news and I am sending you a massive hug. It’s ok to be sad, don’t apologize, look after your lovely son and I hope being with your Mum can help as you share memories of your Aunty together.
    You know, the biggest tribute you can pay her is that it was thanks to her that you decided to turn your health around and avoid the devastating consequences of diabètes and poor eating habits.She spurred you into starting this WOE …she will also be the reason you succed where she was unable to.

I don’t care about the Oreos. Look after yourself dear Birdy xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Birdy, sending you all sympathy and condolences. i am guessing that your Aunty might have been your Mum’s only sibling, and so she will be feeling completely bereft too; and having to break the news to your son….As Wendleg says, you are doing so brilliantly and that is the real gift your Aunty gave you. I am sorry that she had such a horribly tough time. You are not alone in lapses; and mine have no rhyme or reason – unlike your short blip. But do look after yourself, and your Mum and son. Duckie, it is good to hear your “voice” – but also sorry to hear you are having to face upsets and discombobulations. Amz – do you still have those party photos that you mentioned? Where you realised how lovely you are? Look at them! And look back at that beautiful post Esnecca wrote in reply to one of yours! You do not have a fickle heart Amz. Kafin, sending you a warm hello! And all best to all!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Birdy, have a seat, because you’re about to get one of my trademark pep talks. You might recall that I have a motto that has kept me company since I first embarked on the BSD. Not one step backwards. It’s my shield, my crutch and my weapon against all the assaults, internal and external, that try to weaken my determination to live the full life I worked so hard to build. I use it actively; say it out loud; form the words to counter old negative patterns of thought when they seek to assert themselves again; even look down at my feet and tell them to walk on by something that pretends to be comforting when I know it’s only a source of sickness for me.

You have a beautifully ebullient spirit. Your very nature is positive and forward-looking. The horrible loss you experienced dampened it and, with your shields down, you were drawn into the tractor beam of old fake comforts. That’s not the part I take away from your “confession,” though. What stands out to me is that even in the face of something so devastating as the loss of your beloved aunt, you immediately turned around to face your future. Instead of avoiding reality, you logged everything you ate and stared down the truth in stark numbers. Instead of disappearing, you posted about it right away. Instead of dwelling on the fall off the wagon, you scrambled right back on. What an exceptional feat of strength you’ve accomplished.

You have my deepest condolences for your sudden and tragic loss. You have my deepest admiration for your fearless resolve.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

So sorry to hear about your Aunt, Birdy – be kind to yourself.
    Duckie, it’s good to hear from you. Hang in there and I hope things resolve themselves.
    Morning everyone xx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Bob and George! Love the names, Wendy!

• posted by wendleg
    on

What a beautiul post Essie. Birdy….keep it close xx

• posted by On a mission
    on

Esnecca
    What beautiful and sincere words which a also a reflection of your wonderful character and resolve. Birdy, my sincerest condolences, cherish the memories and remember the last think your Aunt would want would be for you to be sad, respectful yes, but sad no. Sending you loads of love xx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Ladies I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words❤️❤️ They mean the world to me thank you all so so much.

Essie once again you hit the nail on the head! You are an amazing person with so much strength that I admire. I will take your motto and I will use it and say it out loud. I am in such awe of this incredible lifestyle that I would not want to give up on it and I won’t. I am only five weeks in and the changes are massive, not just in my weight but my whole life! I am more in control than I have ever been and I have found you amazing people to help me and others on our way. You truly are remarkable Essie! Thank you🥰

You all have been so very supportive and I promise to continue being the glass half full girl who knows we will all succeed in our quest.

My Aunty was a lovely lady, who was funny, stubborn and a bit sarcastic at times, but she had a heart of gold and a bright soul. She will be missed but remembered with love and laughs.

Wendy thank you, 6T, thank you for your kind words too, JGwen as always you are full of the information and sage advice that is invaluable to me and everyone on here, thank you so much. Kafin, beegirl, shellibob and gokiniruth you are all amazing and thank you too for all your kind words it really means a lot.❤️❤️❤️

Now the only problem I have is that I am hungry and with already having consumed 2000 calories since midnight(not that I have eaten anything since 4am!) whatever can I have for my supper?!?!😳😭🤣 love and hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

So sorry for your loss Birdy. My thoughts are with you and I echo all that has been said previously. Don’t be hard on yourself at this difficult time. Do whatever you need to do to get by and to cope. You’re a very positive person and I know you’ll get right back on track whenever you can…..probably sooner than most of us could!
    Another really great post from Esnecca. You have such a good way with words and expressing things. Very sincere.
    Glad you’re home Wendleg and you managed to get some proper sleep and rest.
    Sorry to hear about your problems too Duckie. You strike me as as strong and determined person so I’m sure you’ll manage to somehow resolve things.
    Amz and Kafin, thinking of you both too and glad you’re still posting.
    To be honest my thoughts are with everyone on here who seems to be struggling with personal issues at the moment. It’s great that you can still be determined with the WOE and still take time to post on here despite personal problems. I do admire you all.
    And now I feel really guilty at falling off the wagon today with absolutely no excuse! Was at a work meeting and loads of goodies were just lying there on the table asking to be eaten……..I really need to have more willpower!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Birdy, I wish you and your family time to heal and celebrate your beloved aunt’s life.

I was talking to OH today, about how I feel about the food I’m eating, and how I’m going to adapt once I have reached my target weight. He said you are not going back to the way you used to eat, are you?

I realized that he likes me the way I am now, and he has adapted to some aspects of the WOE by reducing the potatoes and not eating jam. He never used food as a crutch, he couldn’t understand why I was out of control.

Not one step back

Esnecca, that resonates with me. I like the food I’m eating now, and I’m committed to staying low carb. Your words are beautiful and true, thank you.

Birdy, let’s celebrate your determination.

Scottishgal, you know what to do!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi everyone! I’m really “bringing up the rear” today. I seem to be running around frantically trying to catch up with
    everything I’ve let slide for the past several weeks!

Patricia, your Sardinian holiday is looming large on the horizon. I hope you have a marvelous time, and your foot
    can go the distance! Be careful of how you set it down on any rocky terrain, PLEASE 🙂 Your O/H sounds sweet!
    We really do learn to love this food, don’t we? Recognizing this makes maintenance a breeze. There are so many keto
    friendly recipes out there, that there’s really never any reason to get bored with our choices. Plenty on this site, too!

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss, Birdy. Love and loss are our 2 strongest emotions, and we all handle them
    differently. Oreos? They mean nothing! You made it through your night, when I’m sure that you would much rather be home
    with your family. I hope your Mom is doing alright, and your son was able to handle this shock. Your Aunt will know
    when you reach your goal, and she will be so very proud of your success. I believe this, and repeat the same thoughts
    about my own Mother, who wasn’t with us to see my recovery, either. Be with your family, now, Birdy…Know that you are in
    our hearts, for you have won them all! xxx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi everyone! Thank you Wendleg 🙂 One’s mind is so complex and mostly never obedient!!! . . . wandering off to all the possible scenarios . . . one must remember patience and acceptance . . . whatever is destined cannot be halted – stalled and diverted maybe . . . but all will eventually work its way out – and not necessarily what we want . . . rather (on reflection) what we need/ed and didnt know why 🙂 Glad you are well into recovery and trust the trend continues.
    Mind is in a “flitting” mood today and need to settle . . . its overcast, strangely still, and maybe some old bills/papers shredding and clearing of “dead energies” – will work in both a practical and metaphoric sense 🙂
    Havent received confirmation of much anticipated lunch appointment and catch-up, so have made another arrangement with someone else for afternoon tea. Maybe Ill take the comp and show them the NZ holiday pics. Also have made a decision to visit with my dear friend in full-time care some 9-10 continuous hours roadtrip travel away. My journey is going partly by car, then train, three nights B&B accommodation then reverse coming home. Arrangements to dovetail travel connections and accommodation in all places have just been completed. Thats a positive and something to look forward to. avagoodweegend all 🙂 Quack! Quack!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Birdy 🙂 From one feathered friend to another . . . loss is so depleting . . . and making sense/reason/etc of it can be mental and emotional minefield/mindfield. I hear your pain and distress . . . and agree with other sentiments here . . . make it count . . . make your Aunt’s legacy be fruitful, useful and enlightening to as many as you can reach 🙂 Be joyful in the lessons she has brought to the world . . . and thank her for her sacrifice to show the way for others. Yes, so sad she was unable to do it for herself for whatever reasons . . . those we may never know . . . and surmising is unjust 🙂 Thoughts are with you all as you adjust to the seeming injustice and slightly unbalanced ground you all walk right now. xxx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you foe the compliment Scottishgal . . . Im sure I will . . it just seems everytime there is a mountain to climb, there is a little less fight to attack it 🙂 Maybe its because it is a self-made mountain made from what is just a molehill . . . 🙂 As for the temptation of food spread before you . . . well one on recognising you are on a WOE journey . . . seeing that food or what it is . . . I see THAt as a positive step 🙂 I believe when we LOVE ourselves enough, thats when we reach out for what is best for that person 🙂 I see you as making massive progress . . . and just because those creating the luscious spreads dont know or consider those better versed in whats healthier options . . . we dont have to play their game 🙂 Well done for recognition! Hang in there 🙂 This evening, Im having a shot at making the Chia Pudding Es shared elsewhere 🙂 Quack Quack! Allowable desserts HERE I COME!!!!!

• posted by MissMissy
    on

Hi all,
    Thought I’d introduce myself too. I’ve been reading the forum for a few weeks but I’ve finally gotten off my arse & started the fast 800. I’m on day 10 & have lost 4kgs so far. I’ve been on a million diets (at least) lost big & small amounts of weight but have never reached my goal. I’m turning 49 this year & want to be fit, healthy & at a healthy weight for the first time since I was about 11. Fingers crossed!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi all,
    I’m on a bit of a high coming off my presentation at the conference. It went so much better than expected and was very well received. It is the first of 3 very public presentations that I have to do this month, so it is nice to have things off to a good start and to have 1 of the 3 out of the way.
    I did not too badly with food during the day. I skipped breakfast because I was in a hurry in the morning and then by the time I got to the conference centre, nerves made it impossible to eat anyway. I drank lots of water. My session was right before lunch and I had to clean up the materials after and by the time I got down to the lunch area, all the vegetarian options were gone. I did talk to a very nice staff person though about my dietary restrictions and allergies and she brought me some roasted veggies and salad. I am often very shy about making a fuss, but this just goes to show that sometimes it is worth asking for what you need. I succumbed a little to temptation in the afternoon when I received a prize of a chocolate at a quiz at one of the booths, but otherwise not too bad at all. I went a bit easy on myself this week by buying a huge bag of prepared salad mix, so I came home and had that for dinner with some strawberries and yogurt after. I’m back at the conference tomorrow, but this time I just get to listen, so not as stressful. I have some hard boiled eggs prepared to take along with my nuts and berries as I feel that I will likely be hungrier tomorrow and will want a bit more protein. I’m getting lots of exercise too as I’m commuting in by bus and train with lots of stair climbing and more stair climbing at the conference centre as there are two floors between the break area and the session rooms.
    Birdy – so sorry to hear about your loss. Good for you picking yourself back up again and getting back on track. I also seem to still feel the need to nuture myself with things that are not good for me, and often now I don’t even really want them, but there is such a strong association there that it can be such a hard habit to break.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you again guys for all your kind comments. Wooduckie and Allie you are both so lovely thank you. Sorry I have not been around today but with travel and spending time with mum and my boy I have been a little preoccupied.

Hello and welcome Missmissy you have made a fantastic start!❤️ You have also made the right choice in joining us. We are a friendly bunch who are here to support each other through this WOE. Between us we have a world of knowledge and we are here for whatever you need. No question is a stupid one and no one is judgemental. Good luck on your journey and welcome again! Birdy💞🦜

• posted by alliecat
    on

How many hours of fasting, Amz? When you have your first meal, it will taste amazingly good 🙂

A warm welcome from me, too, MssMissy! Congratulations to you for making the decision to restore your health
    and change your life permanently. The BSD isn’t a diet, but a way out of a cycle of yo yoing forever. Rather it is a
    lifestyle, and once you commit to it, managing your life in future will be effortless. There is an entire community here
    of very experienced BSDers with many years of maintenance behind them, and others who are at all stages of the
    journey. Together we have a lifetime of success, and we like nothing better than answering questions and celebrating
    victories. No questions or concerns are insignificant, and there is always one of us out and about because we span
    many different time zones. You sound as though you’ve made a very good start. Looking forward to getting to know
    you, and sharing your challenges and triumphs 🙂

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello dear Birdy. I hope you are coping there . Thinking of you and sending lots of love and strength.
    Welcome Miss Missy. Stick with us and this will be the last ‘diet’ you will ever try. It works but as Allie said it is not a quick fix .The commitment is so worth it. Shout out if you need any advice.You have made a great start !
    Arcticfox ! Well done on your presentation. That is so encouraging and uplifting ! Go girl ! And don’t worry about ‘making a fuss’ You have every right to assert yourself and ask for alternative foods.Another victory !
    Well done on your extended fast Amz. That must feel very liberating. Maybe try not to focus too much on the numbers on the scales ? If you enjoy the fasting and continue to make good food choices and you can keep the emotional bingeing demons at bay that is also a tremendous victory.
    I hope you have had a more settled day, Duckie ? How was the chia pudding ?
    How are you doing Kirstyn your honour ? Glad you like Bob and George 😉 I have always chosen ‘male’ names as the cats are members of the family in their own right like my sons 😉 I love Albert too ! Did you find new shoes ? Did Albert approve ?
    How has London been today , Turkeys ? I have to admit I had to check on « discombobulations » !!
    I also checked on my cellulite…and yes, it’s gone from the top of my thighs too 😉
    How are you doing Shellbob ? I have been thinking about your itchy problem.Have you investigated any more ?
    BeeGirl and Merrymelba …how are you progressing ?
    Gokiniruth ? Are you ok ?
    OOH Patricia..5 days until you go to Sardinia : Fab ! I did not expect to have another op this year and booked our trip for early July which is why this latest op had to happen earlier so I can be fully recovered to walk everywhere without discomfort.Looking forward to it.We are becoming very fond of Italy. I watched the ‘Big Fat Fix ‘ with gorgeous Aseem Malhotra on Dietdoctor last night and all the views of Pioppi and the wonders of the Mediterranen diet were compelling.
    Caronl ..enjoy your family time in the Uk . Sorry you have had an unsettling week. Enjoy your Chamber Choir and I hope it relieves any upset.
    I am recovering well . Another Golden Latte this morning.It is still a bit uncomfortable sitting upright but definitely getting better. No lifting or strenuous exercise for me I am afraid.

Have a great weekend everyone xx

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Evening all!

Welcome MissMissy – sounds like you’re off to a great start – hope I can do as well by day 10!

arcticfox – glad the presentation went well, hope the others go as well for you.

Wendleg – glad to hear you’re feeling a little better. I must ask – what’s this Golden Latte I hear mention of? It sounds delicious and I’d like to give it a try if you don’t mind sharing the details.

I’m still plodding on. Went out for breakfast with a friend yesterday; not too many options to fit the 800 cals, but opted for two poached eggs on a slice of brown toast. They served it with two slices, but I just ate the one and sat looking longingly at the other! Very tasty with a cuppa though. No problems with the diet so far; carbs are naturally coming in a lot lower than I planned, so it’s working out well on that front. No issues with hunger, feeling very full after my meals and making sure I’m drinking plenty of water (and tea, can’t do without my tea!). Might hop on the scales tomorrow morning as I’ll be half way through the first week, just to see how things are looking. Need to sit and plan my food for the next couple of days too – might do that in the morning though as I don’t think I have brain power this evening.

Have a good weekend all.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi BeeGirl
    My body was calling out for a soothing anti-inflammatory drink , that’s how it felt anyway.

My Golden Latte is warmed almond milk to which I add fresh turmeric root and ginger root , finely grated ( a good chunk of each) . I add a sprinkle of cinnamon and black pepper. I don’t blend it but you probably could to make it less ‘rustic’ . In fact maybe I will do that tomorrow morning ! Turmeric turns everything it touches yellow, beware ! My fingers look like I have been on the Gauloises !
    I don’t add any sweetner xx

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Hi everyone, just catching up on the thread, been a busy couple of days with a couple of unexpected night shifts but proud of myself for making sure my meal prep was sufficient to keep the cravings at bay and drinking plenty of water – I’m hoping at some point my body will adapt to the extra fluid and not have me running to the bathroom quite so often.

Wendleg, thanks for the shoutout, I’m glad your recovery is going well. Your golden latte sounds amazing! I will have to give that a go once I work out where to buy fresh tumeric root.

Birdy don’t apologise for not being around to post, your priority is correct to be your family, especially at this time. The fact that you are still taking the time to welcome newcomers just shows how what a beautiful spirit you have.

MissMissy, welcome, I’m new mysellf, having only started the Fast800 this week. It sounds like you are doing amazing and you have fantastic goals to keep you motivated. This WoE and the support of these forums will enable you to reach those goals.

Arctic fox, well done with your presentation. How did you get on today at the conference? Hard boiled eggs are a great idea to take as a snack.

Beegirl fantastic self control to resist the second slice of toast, not an easy feat. I will also be planning my food ready for next week so please share any tasty recipes you come across.

Have a lovely weekend everyone

• posted by MissMissy
    on

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome! ❤️
    Wendleg, I really hope this is the last “diet” I’ll be on! I’m over being on diets only to regain more weight than I’ve lost. I have a lot of weight to lose, 55kg…as opposed to 59kg 11 days ago, woohoo!….and some days that number can seem overwhelming. I saw a quote a while ago which has been stuck in my head & which I remind myself when I feel like cracking, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” .
    I’m off for a little walk. Have a great day/afternoon/evening all, wherever you are!
    Miss xx

• posted by MissMissy
    on

*wherever you are!

on

Ending my ~48 hour fast with a egg scramble with turkey bacon, cheddar cheese, broccoli and chicken… It was okay. 😒

I’m feeling frustrated and lonely right now. I hate how my home seems so unwelcoming sometimes… But I’m not going to let my emotions get the best of me. If I go to the fridge, it will be for some refreshing cold water… I’m distracting my self right now with a craft project – revamping an old pair of heels by covering them with fabric… Still, it’s hard to think about being married but starved of affection… I’ll focus instead on planning my wardrobe for my goal weight… Saw a dress on amazon that made me think of Wendy – vintage swing dress with art Deco styled cats… It might fit in nicely with the cutlery dress. 😊

• posted by Kafin13
    on

That’s a hard feeling, Amz – I’m sitting here too, sick of TV and spending another Friday night (or any night for that matter) alone. My antidepressants seem to have stopped working and I’ve gone rapidly downhill this week but the thought of starting with new ones is soul destroying. I want to eat a whole cheesecake. I have nothing in my house that would soothe and satisfy me right now and that’s frustrating me. I have no energy to start any kind of project so I admire you for keeping yourself busy and staying distracted from food. Once again, I wish we could share photos because I’d love to see the finished shoes! I don’t have any way to help or words of wisdom because often that isn’t what you want to hear and having people try and fix it to make themselves feel better and less hopeless can just create too much noise in your head. All I can say is, you’re not alone, I’m always happy to listen if you want to talk. Kia Kaha as we say in NZ or “Stand Strong”. Sending you love XX

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Finally feel like I might be getting back on track. Had another good day at the conference. Lots of inspiring talks and caught up with people that I haven’t seen in a while and met some new people as well. The field I work in is really where the rubber hits the road in trying to solve the climate emergency, and it can be frustrating and stressful dealing with all the resistance, inaction and inertia on a daily basis. So good to meet with others facing the same challenges and to get inspired by people who have different approaches and who are having an impact.
    I did even better with food today than yesterday I think. I took berries and yogurt with hemp seeds with me in a jar and ate them while everyone else was tucking into the croissants, pastries and juice that made up the continental breakfast. Lunch was grilled portobello mushrooms and salad. I became a ‘gluten free vegan’ today to get a lunch that met my requirements. I ate my hard boiled eggs for a snack on the way home. I had nuts with me as well, but didn’t end up having to eat them. I did my habitual stop at the supermarket on my way home, looking for a quick dinner, but bypassed all the ready meals as they were really not appealing. I picked up some avocados and kefir instead and came home and made riceless sushi for dinner as I had all the ingredients at home already except for the avocados.
    I also had lots of exercise again with running up stairs to catch trains, etc. My old foot injury has flared up as a result so I am ice massaging it tonight. It has helped me remember my ‘why’ though, along with experiencing pain from my injured pelvis this week when trying to balance when standing on the bus and train. I cannot continue to carry the extra 20kg on my frame as it is leaving me in pain along with any other potential health implications that could result. I feel like my fitness has had a boost just from the last 3 days though and I don’t want to lose that, and want to continue building it up. I will take Saturday off to rest my foot a bit, but will try to get out Sunday morning. I live in a very flat neighbourhood, but there is a series of stairs over at the events centre a short walk from my place where I can do a stair workout. I think that may have to become my new morning routine.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning everyone
    First of all BeeGirl I have just whizzed up my Golden Latte in the blender and I also added a half teaspoon of cardamom powder to make it a bit spicier.It was lovely and frothy. I am sure you could use ground turmeric instead of th fresh root .Remember to clean your teeth straight after consuming the golden potion !

• posted by wendleg
    on

You are doing very well gokiniruth ! Weeing is good..you need to keep drinking and it shows your body is adapting. Keep going and you really will conquer any cravings. Forward planning is the key

Have you checked out the dietdoctor website for their videos and articles ? It’s very informative on low carb. There are lots of recipes on there too. I keep things fairly simple with eggs , frittata, baked or grilled fish and green veg, roasted asparagus, aubergine with parmesan, a piece of chicken. I am waiting for my lovely hubby to get me some nori sheets so we can make rice less ‘ sushi ‘ wraps with avocado and crudités.
    Have a great weekend. Glad you managed the night shifts. You and Birdy are absolute stars.

• posted by wendleg
    on

MissMissy
    You really are in the right place. Allie(alliecat) always says she has a special place in her heart for women who have what seems like an insurmountable number of pounds/kilos to discard but she is testament to the success of this WOE. She has lost 10 stone and Essie ( Esnecca even more) Check out their posts. They are long term maintainers and our inspiration.
    It is a steep learning curve and it means a total rejection of established nutritional ‘ advice’ The key is controlling carb addiction and achieving the mindset which allows you to enjoy nutritious, health giving foods while rejecting the toxic, sugary,low fat, low cal junk we were told was the way to achieve a healthy life !!!!
    Come and check in with us when you feel like cracking. We are here for you !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Amz , well done for completing your fast ! I wish I lived near you. I would love to just go out for a chat and a coffee, me in my cutlery dress and you in your beautiful vintage creations !
    I have to resist the urge to give advice but it’s hard for me to hear your struggles. Have you considered YOUR options, Amz ? I am sure there are lots of women on here who have struggled with unhappy relationships, I certainly did. Losing my sister to a brain tumour in 2000 gave me the impetus to make choices to remove myself from a toxic relationship. I know it’s not easy and there are many inevitable barriers and constraints but life really is too short and too precious to waste. You deserve more Amz.
    Kirsten your honour I really hope I haven’t created too much unwelcome ‘noise’ . You have very generously reached out to Amz. You know there is a neutral email address available which has connected several forum members ? Birdy has other things on her mind right now but maybe Patricia or On a Mission could say if the email below is the one to use if and when the time is right ??
    posted by Birdy76
    on 25 Apr 2019 at 18:51
    Allie no need to search BSD&angels*&800£gmail&£com obvs take out the symbols

It doesn’t mean leaving the forum, no way !! But maybe it could be a useful back up for getting through some rough times ?? I would be happy to share photos of cats, dresses and wacky earrings if it would help to distract you and Amz from the frustations and loneliness ??
    We are all in this together . Much love to you both xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hello all. Sun is just peeking out in London, so off to help an elderly neighbour (93 and really lovely) with her garden. It was completely overgrown (and can’t remember who on here mentioned some time ago thinking about planting some wild garlic. JUST.DON’T.DO.IT…) but (with help of another neighbour) we are transforming it. It was heart-warming last weekend to see her come out and admire it, enjoy some fresh air – and a very bold little robin also helped by hopping around literally at our feet, picking out the little grubs we had just unearthed. Amz and Kafin, I am sorry to read your posts. I wish there were some magic words. But thinking of you both. Wendleg, I hope that recovery is going well, but more lying down with cats, being tended to by O/H is am I sure just what the doctor would order.
    And best wishes to all – Duckie, Allie, Esnecca, Birdy, CG, SunnyB, CC, Patricia, Caronl, to name but a few and to all new joiners! Have a good weekend.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Great food choices, arcticfox ! So pleased the presentations have been going well and you have made good contacts. Take care with those injuries though…you still need to recover. You will soon have those 20kilos discarded . I think I was in denial for so long about the consequences of carrying excess weight. Just being able to get up from the sofa without a struggle is great ! How shocking is that ! Good on you for taking control after such a devastating accident xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning Turkeys ! Sunny here too. I shall be reclining in the garden if it stays fine. My discomfort is easing and I am nourishing my ravaged innards (!!) with soothing anti inflammatory drinks. I am out of my fasting pattern away from work but staying vigilant as to nutty tempatations lurking in the kitchen jars. I have just received my Fermented Vegetables book in the post( thanks to Essie’s recommendations ! ) and I am intrigued to venture into that world.It will distract me wonderfully.
    That is so kind of you to help your neighbour with her garden. What’s wrong with wild garlic ?? We often bring back wild garlic, asparagus, chives, dandelion leaves etc from our wanderings here. O/H has a magnificent crop of parsley , sage, and a bay tree in his veggie patch. The kale is going over but tomatoes have been planted. Love those on a hot summer day ! Aah …the scent of basil too..the essence of summer.

Have a great weekend everyone !

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good morning all and happy Saturday.

Amz I am like Wendy and don’t want to shove advice on you, but I have been where you are now. My sons father was a nightmare and the best thing I ever did was get rid of him. Harsh sounding yes! But I I went up to a size 24 as I was so unhappy! I felt unloved and unappreciated, he lied about everything and he caused me to have to go bankrupt with his non payment of bills and the like. I already had my work cut out for me as my son was being diagnosed with his ADHD. I knew I had to look after him and myself, so I got rid of the toxic person in our lives. 7 years on and I am so glad I did it! I lost three and a half stone and learnt that I was indeed an independent woman who didn’t need anyone to make her whole. Don’t get me wrong I am happy in my relationship now but I don’t NEED him I want him. In the beginning I used to say this over and over again in my head, but now it just is. Humans are very social and we love and thrive on a good connection, but we also need to enjoy ourselves. You come across as a very creative person and I am sure what you enjoy doing, you would enjoy more if you didn’t have to put up with the toxic part. The first step is the hardest but once that is done and you realise that your life matters! But mostly you will feel a weight lifted off of your shoulders and a sense of calm will soon follow.

Wendleg suggested our email address and I am happy to pass on yours privately and safely to Kafin if you wish to do so. We are all here for you but sometimes you need a private place not only to vent and work through things but somewhere you can share your interests with like minded people. I have found this just as invaluable as this forum. It doesn’t mean leaving here as this is home to me and I love the support, both giving and receiving. We will all be here always but sometimes you don’t want to air things in such a public place. It is there if you need hun. Kafin you would be able to see all Amz creations and maybe you can give each other the much needed confidence to really look at yourselves and love what you both see. My love and thoughts go out to you both. Also Kafin I want to see Albert🤣❤️

To all of you that have been sending such kind words to me at this time I want to thank you all again, I cannot express in words just how much it means to me. You are all stars and amazing people that even though you have your own journeys to contend with, you have been here for me. Thank you thank you, thank you. Much love and hugs to each and everyone and the best of luck on all your journeys. 🥰🥰🥰 Birdy💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Birdy you bring tears to my eyes, you lovely , lovely person. That was brave of you and I recognise myself in everything you said. I love that you have emerged into a gorgeous, independent woman and you avoided being crushed. Your new O/H is lucky to have you . xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, my lovelies! There have been some very beautiful posts today, spoken from the heart.

Wendy, golden latte might become our official drink! Remember to add some freshly ground black pepper, to activate
    the health benefits of the turmeric, and be sure to look for unsweetened almond milk, or you will be in for a shock,
    carb wise 🙂 I’m sure that you already know this, but I include it for the benefit of new members. Fingers crossed
    that the sun is shining in France today!

Amz, I can only imagine how spirit crushing your home environment must be, so I’m only going to remind you of
    some of the spiritual breakthroughs that you’ve had already…1. Your important username change. 2. Your realization
    that you are making these changes in your life FOR YOU, and not in answer to ultimatums issuing from your O/H.
    These are important steps to seeing yourself differently, so please stay with us and continue to share them. 🙂
    Hold onto tight the affection that we all have for you! It’s here, and it’s very genuine. I’m sending a huge hug down
    to the Carolinas. xxx

Allie

on

Successfully avoided the refrigerator last night.
    Daily weigh-in is helpful to me even during increases because I reflect on my day before and say good job on that or let’s work on this.
    Today, i had plan to fast, but my daughter has a play date so if we go out to eat afterwards, I’ll look it for smart options.
    There is a disconnect between wanting to workout and actually working out. Lol… Laziness? Exhaustion? Not sure the cause, but I’m really got to try to motivate myself to start the eight week program tomorrow.
    My heels aren’t finished, but I’ll post a picture when they are. I like crafting so I’ll add some of my creations on my website so you guys can see – it’s mainly jewelry or things for my daughter. Next week I’m messing a death star piñata and a couple At-Ats for a party in going too at the end of the month. Any geeks know what I’m talking about?

Please log in or register to post a reply.