New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Well you’ve probably all forgotten about me now , Allie , Nonna Mary & Co ., won’t try and remember more names , brain addled I think !
    Thought I’d have a quick browse after months of absence and a tough tough time , and give you an update of what’s been happening with me , or to me should I say ?
    Started with a Colonscopy late Nov . , Endocrinologist came in with offsider looking grim …… Announced I had bowel cancer , showed me horrid photos he’d taken , told me I’d need a hemi colectomy and he would organise an urgent referral to Colorectal surgeon !!!
    Hit me like a ton of bricks , as it did my dear Hubby and Kids .
    Saw Surgeon the next day , and the next day on the operating table , significant part of large bowel removed plus a heap of lymph nodes , not a fun time post op ., pain , tubes from every orifice , etc etc ., tests came back and unfortunately the cancer cells had been shared with some of the lymph nodes which meant Chemo to face as well !!!
    Referred on to Oncologist , 1st of 8 rounds of chemo started , then all the toxic side effects hit …… Hospital as an emergency , side effects included total loss of bowel control , can’t explain what that does to ones dignity , let alone all the other toxic side effects known to the Oncologist who had not seen this for years & years !
    Along with peripheral neuropathy hands and feet , mouth full of ulcers , peeling of skin hands and feet , all the complications possible including severe dehydration , cardiac arrhythmias , pulmonary oedema , damage to kidneys and bowel , blood picture well and truly screwed up , another trip back to theatre where my wound was reopened for a laparotomy , as suspected bowel perforation , a few weeks of nightmare as I had 3 teams trying to help me survive a medical team , a surgical team and an oncology team .
    Umpteen blood tests , X-rays , scans , constant discomfort as Dr’s trying to insert new cannulas as veins inflamed by high potassium doses , it seemed like daily there was more bad news when test results came back .
    As for bloods being taken , the policy was that after 2 attempts to get blood , another person arrived to have a try !
    This resulted in about the 7 attempt day after day , the bruising and collapse of veins was unbelievable , in the end I didn’t even flinch !
    This post is getting way too long isn’t it ?
    Finally after almost a month in Hospital , I came home with lots of home help to shower and assist with my rehab .
    I couldn’t even sit up alone or get out of bed alone , extremely weak lethargic , had lost 10 kilos in weight , not a good way to lose it I can assure you .
    My Oncologist latest visit has said it is way too risky for me to have further Chemo , despite previous visit another regime was on offer at my risk , I was torn thinking about it , but this visit he took the decision and said no more !
    I’m glad he took the decision , seconded and ‘ 3rd ed ‘ by 2 other Doctors !
    I’m now improving generally physically , lots of physio etc, High protein / carb drinks twice a day to gain some weight , muscle wasting was shocking ,a little more muscle visible now , and my strength has improved very slowly .
    I have walked now for a couple of months with the aid of a wheely walker , and can now get around indoors without it , which is a positive .
    I’m in the hands of the Gods as I only had 1 Round of chemo , the Cancer I’m told will return , and will be in the liver or lungs , so that’s about it from me for now folks .
    i just haven’t been up to social media of any sort during these very trying few months , but am slowly regaining interest in life in general as I improve , and intend to enjoy what life I have , and will not succumb to being a victim to this rotten Cancer by curling up in a foetal position and feeling sorry for myself , and waiting for IT to show up !
    I have a wonderful Hubby , kids and Grandies , so I have a lot to live for and live I will !
    Will be back , & will spend more time going through posts as time goes by .
    Wishing everyone well , and hope your journeys haven’t been and aren’t too difficult .
    Bye for now ,
    Hello 66 xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello66, I’m having a hard time breathing after reading about what you’ve been through. Many
    people have come and gone since we’ve heard from you, but you are the one that has stayed with
    me and that I have missed. Your quick wit and compassion for others is hard to forget. Life can
    get deadly serious and turn on a dime, and you’ve really been through it. But every day is precious,
    and I hope you have many more to look forward to as you recover from this assault on your body.
    My husband was diagnosed with a colorectal mass last year, surgery followed and then a protracted
    recovery and the loss of 38 lbs. Too many indignities to even mention, but I’m sure you know of
    them, too. My heart goes with you, and you have true friends here, so please check in when you
    can.
    Much love,

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello66….really HELLO! As I read your post my heart sank. I am so angry that you have had to endure such a vile time. We have missed you and on occasion called out to you. Oh I so wish I could use my super power and heal you with my thoughts and love. You have not lost your grit and this will help you in your recovery and enable you to enjoy your wonderful family, who must feel awful watching you go through such hell. I am finding it difficult to think what to say.

Just one thing…there was a woman on TV the other day who was using cannabis oil and had reversed her cancer. It’s always worth a look, if not use? I want to jump on a jet and fly to you, just to give you the biggest hug possible. Please pop on and let us know how you are, even if it is just to have a moan (although that isn’t like you at all). We are here for you. We miss you.

All my love
    Mary

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Oh Hello66, you have been through serious trials, I am so sorry for how hard you have struggled — your lovely and strong spirit shines through all your post — I hope you are regaining your energy and feeling better every day as we move forward into spring.
    Please stay in touch.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Chick, I’m Canadaliz and I started this thread thinking that over drinking and over eating and being diabetic was my greatest cross in life to bear. Last Tuesday I had surgery for breast cancer and learned Friday that it is in my lymph nodes and has spread. Fuck. What I will say is where there is life there is hope. We can soldier on through this. I have been a turtle and have retreated into my shell. I have not been able to cope very well and have not posted at all and I feel like a total asshole. I am slowly coming back to this thread as I desperately need the support of this group and the fighting troops that I know they are and have proven that they are. We can do this.
    Much love and support. I know the fear. I have felt the terror. But we can do this. We are not alone. Liz

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hiya Lizzie. So good to see you here. What the eff is going on…how can my lovely peoples get such a shitty roll of the dice? Right now I am sending lots of love and happy thoughts your way. Give Our Kev a big cuddle from me and let me know if you fancy a walk to the lake. You can lean on me if you are feeling weak.

Love Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Hi Lizzie. How shitty can life get at times?
    You may not think it right now but you have the courage, determination, fortitude and strength to face and cope with this. You have the love and support of everyone here and we’ve got your back.
    If love and hugs we’re all it took you’d never have been there in the first place.
    Hello 66: I think I was just a “lurker ” when you were posting but I remember the name. The same message goes to you too.
    Be positive. There’s love and hugs here for all who need them. It’s a family thing.
    As I’ve said before. Take a friend, some courage and one step at a time. This journey will be a bumpy ride but we’re all there with you and we’ll try and make it as smooth as we can.
    We can laugh and cry together as we’ve always done.
    It seems so trivial now to report that I have actually lost a quarter of a pound and I am 10 st 2 and a quarter. I have lost half an inch off my waist so that is 31 and a half inches.
    Thinking of you all and going everyone else is keeping well x

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Liz,
    I am sorry to hear your news. I have a friend who had a similar health problem, her breast cancer was only discovered as a result of multiple under arm lumps. It may help you to know she had a rough time of it with chemo for the first year after the operation, but is back to enjoying the same active lifestyle, including caring for and training her racehorses as she had before her diagnosis.

One piece of advice she shared with me and I would like to pass on to others is to never use any moisturiser containing Parabens – these are a class of preservative and you will find them in the ingredient list with different words ending in paraben.

My friend was one of the people who’s samples were included in part of research on the topic and she was told that every individual within the study with breast cancer also had parabens within the tissues. – the researchers told her that they consider parabens and breast cancer to be equivalent to the links between smoking and lung cancer.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Dear Liz and hello66,
    Thinking of you both with hand on heart. Horrible news in your lives and ours but there’s an army, or at least a monstrous regiment, here for you, it’s your journeys, but we’re around when you need that vent you cant do with loved ones, family or local friends. Drop in whenever, we’ll get the kettle on, wherever you are in your travels, T57x

• posted by EC
    on

Oh dear H66 and dear Liz….sending you both love and thoughts from the Antipodes. We seem to be “of an age” where these stories are becoming all too common….and reiterating the message from everyone else that this is a place for venting, gaining strength and support
    If you have the headspace for it, read Valter Longo’s “The Longevity Diet” He has some great research on using fasting or a fasting mimicking diet to improve the efficacy of chemo and reduce side effects…I’ve known about the research for a long time, but he makes more sense of WHY it helps than I’ve ever come across
    Otherwise…there is strength and support amongst this great mob of wonderful women..

• posted by KazzUK
    on

H66 – my heart goes out to you. This wretched disease. A friend of mine is also battling this, and has taken part in trials, having exhausted chemo etc. She keeps going, determined to fight this beast. We’re here for you and CanadaLiz, and with our friends down under and across the pond, there will always be someone around no matter what time of day and night for you both.
    Kazzee xxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    I lost a post it happens from time to time. Heres as near as I can remember
    Lizzie and Hello66 I am so sorry to hear of your news. I have not been around for about 10 days and thought I would catch up,
    First post I read was congrats to Mary on losing 70lbs (way to go Mary!) and then I see these bombshells.

I so agree with with Tillybud, why does life have to be so shitty????
    Lizzie you have been such an inspiration to me, it was you who made me take a long hard look at myself and what I was doing and hiding from myself. I am still looking.
    Hello66 I remember your posts – both of you are stron and if my thoughts and heartfelt wishes for your return to health are any help at all you can have them in bucket fulls.

Eat the best food you can, chuck out the processed crap and believe. Easy for me to say but we are here as part of your army, shoulders to cry on, shoulders to lean on, hands to help, hearts to provide love

Yours
    Madmare

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi
    I was just wondering how everyone was on here. It’s very quiet. xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Marie. I am lurking at the moment. I got fed up of saying I have stalled over and over and over again. I have been the same since January and nothing I do can alter it. I have upped and downed…drank more and less…more cals, less cals…more exercise etc. On top of all that my IBS has been rampant and I should have lost weight by sheer evacuation of waste. Then reading the posts by Hello66 and Lizzie I decided that my problems are too small to complain about.

Apart from the above I am in the middle of having decorators in (not a euphemism) and have found out today that they will be working Good Friday and Monday! Not a good thing when your tummy is screaming “get to the loo quick”. Lol.

I don’t know where Kazzee is, I have been waiting for someone to post. Thank you Marie for keeping in touch.

Lots of love
    Mary
    xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Mary
    I wish there was some advice I could offer that would help you get unstuck but I haven’t got any that you won’t have already tried. Sorry to hear about the IBS (and the workmen – you’re right, not a great mix!).

I didn’t post here when Lizzie and Hello66 were posting on here although I used to come over to this thread often to read all your wonderful conversations – Lizzie and Hello66, if you read this, my very best wishes go to both of you.

Go well over Easter Mary, and one and all.
    Love
    Marie xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Along with Marie, I wish you all, those that aren’t regularly posting and those that are, a blessed Easter weekend, free
    from the ubiquitous chocolate 🙂 Mary, it pains me to hear about the discomforts of IBS, as well as the extended
    plateau that you’ve been perched upon. The only thoughts I have of a helpful nature that might make a difference
    in altering the situation would be to schedule an appointment with an Endocrinologist. I guess I have Leelee’s
    situation in the back of my mind….At this point, I’d want to explore all avenues that might lead to a diagnosis or
    explain your situation. I hope you are feeling well enough to celebrate the weekend with your 3 precious grandies.
    Sending you hugs, Mary.

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi lovelies
    I’m here.Truth is I’ve felt a bit awkward posting when some of our friends are going through such terrible health times. Plus my own family stuff has been going on together with approaching year end madness at work. Truth is, I don’t feel like getting on my iPad or laptop after a day at work using a computer for 7 hours. And this year I’ve been maintaining whilst seeing winter out, so little weight loss to report. I’ve felt so low with what seems like a prolonged winter. Pathetic I know! Good news is, the next 4 weeks will be short working weeks.

So how is everyone?

My thoughts and sincerest best wishes to Leelee, H66 and Lizzie. Keep fighting, girls. 😘😘

Kazeeee xxxx and Happy Easter

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy Easter to you, too, Kazzi! I know that it will include “Mum”, and will be an extra special time with Annie in town.
    Hello66, my heart is with you, and all others who have health battles to fight. Life is a crapshoot, and we never know
    what reserves of strength we have until we’re tested. Just know that we’re a fierce bunch, and what seems insurmountable
    individually, is made easier together.
    Much love to all,
    Allie

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hello ladies

Just back from swimming and aqua and finally taking the time to sit down for a catch up. Have been getting nowhere with my diagnosis so far. Got the neurologist at the end of May. So until then, I’m going to take control myself. Aqua is quite funny. Some of the moves are beyond my left leg which flops around like a dead thing at times but I do believe I’m getting better and stronger with each session. I’m even considering some personal training sessions. Get me 🤣🤣.

Food wise, I’m back in the swing of low carb. I have 13lbs to go to get back to my lowest but have been rewarded with a 2lb loss this week and I know that’s due to increasing my physical activity. I’m happy if I can do it over the next 3 months and a really hard exercise class certainly puts me off cheating!

Now, H66. I was truly devastated to hear your story. I can only add to the words of support and comfort offered by the girls here. It’s not my area of expertise but have a look at biological therapy. Drugs like cetuximab, bevacuzumab and panitumumab have had great results and are generally better tolerated than chemo. I’m sure your oncologist is all over it, but doesn’t hurt to explore options. Happy to speak to my colleagues in GI at RMH if you would like.

Happy Easter to you all. A new beginning for those of us that need it I hope.

L xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

What a lovely post, Leelee! You are an honorary “Phoenix”, too, working so hard to maintain your strength. I know
    your weight will be quickly back to where you want it to be, with your beautiful fighting spirit. It’s a shame that
    you have to wait a month to see the neurologist, but please stay in touch with us. All of you with medical problems
    have a special place in my heart. This holiday is one of hope and rebirth, and I hope next year will have delivered
    you all to a better place. Happy Easter!

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

HEY…where has everyone gone? Lizzie, Hello66, please if you can, pop on and let us know how you are getting on. I really care and worry about you.

Kazzee, you are missed. EC as you are approaching winter will you be more active on the forum?

Everyone else who hasn’t returned…is it because you are drinking again? Are you just not following this wol?

Whatever the reason. It would be good to hear from you. Lots of love to everyone.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Hiya Joe’s nanna. How’re you doing? I’ve been on the “No April Fool” thread. I’m still at it, so to speak. Am 10 st and three quarters of a pound! so not far to go til I’m just under 10! Would like a bit of wiggle room. Still having a wine or two but diluted with fizzy water. Hopefully by Tuesday fingers crossed I’ll be there . Hope all is well with everyone …. and the sun is shining!
    PS:. I’ve bought a pair of size 12 jeans!! They fit too. Have a good weekend all x

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Tillybud I can’t tell you how pleased I am for you. I dream about being 10 stone…just another 5 to go…oooerrr! I know I will do it, even if it takes another 19 months lol. You are an inspiration! I will be looking on Tuesday to see your good news. It is a really lovely day and I am painting woodwork! Only because a) it needs it and b) I can open the windows and lessen the smell of paint. Take care.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi Mary, still here, still lurking..to be honest I’ve been a bit scunnered (good Scottish/northern Irish dialect) by some of the activity on one or two of the fora. Between the huge variation in how forumites are tackling BSD as promoted by MM in the book and the many successful individual approaches..eg <20 or 30gm carb and the depth of focus/knowledge/ personal experience of posters it is most likely surprising there aren’t more unintended fracas. Then between zealots and those of us trying but more dilettante…sigh, it just doesn’t always feel as supportive as I’d hoped for, completely unintentional. Cultural norms, personal idiosyncracies, age and all the rest, it’s amazing we communicate at all..tomayto/tomato, potayto/potato! Anyway, I continue to try but struggle..not giving up and def upping exercise, weights 3/week but less good on alcohol and overall carbs. still weighing logging and reviewing but need to “improve my grip”. I too think of Lizzie, hello66 and the rest of the army. I suspect we’re all still here but some. battling on other fronts whilst others are “girding loins”! I do love to read your posts and pleased to see some oldtimers..verano, mixnmatch, Lucia..love to see some others..bloke41, JulesMaigret, maharanikitten..too many to mention arfarf. Anyway let us kokoodat etc. Bless you for posting, you never know I may follow your lead on positive thoughts one of these days, A Bientot T57
    ps good luck with painting!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Good to see you again T57. Glad you haven’t given up. I know Leelee is away at the moment but I have no idea where others are. Tillybud posts on another thread and I think Mixnmatch used to come on here too. There are as many opinions as there are forumites. I just go with which ever suits me best. Have a go at the positives it does lighten the mood.

Take care and keep trying.
    Lots of love
    Nonna Mary

• posted by Anonymous
    on

you diplomat you…will write anon on a happy theme!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi there, Mary! I loved your post today on the “No time like the present” thread, and I’m heading over there
    next with a long post to friends. Just wanted to add to the “community bulletin” of the missing 🙂 Kazz is
    on holiday in Jersey, Theo is in Africa, and SunnyB is in Turkey. I don’t know about Essie. I’m sure you know
    that Verano has returned from exploring the Far East I find painting trim strangely relaxing, too! Don’t you
    have a trip coming up?
    Tilybud, you’ve been holding out on me!! Size 12 jeans??? That’s exciting 🙂 Very pleased for you! See you
    in our usual places…A new 4 week challenge will be up and running in a few days. Hope to see you there!
    Hello66, sending you my love. SRP? Erin? Heather?

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

T57, I have been accused of that before. Maybe I should have worked for the Home Office lol.

Take care.
    Mary xxx

• posted by Anonymous
    on

arfarf you are very funny! Can I Pm you and if so how? I am leads internet savvy than I should be!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

T57 if I knew how I would say yes. Perhaps on facebook?
    Mary
    xxx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Nonna Mary!
    I’m still here too but have slipped a little! I don’t feel like I can post about my struggles on here so much anymore, But i will keep reading, keep trying keep cheering you all on!
    All the best,
    Inka

• posted by marie123
    on

Inka
    I might have missed you, but just wanted to let you know I’m still using the asmr! xx

Mary
    I know you’re on the 7 day reboot at the moment. I’ve been keeping an eye on how things are going for you. Go well and enjoy the sunshine. xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Would you Adam and Eve it – I have walked my little legs off the last few days helping my OH – 22,000 steps Thursday, 19,000 Friday, and over 23,000 yesterday and not a single sausage (or half pound) off when I got on the scales this morning!!!

Allie – no joint victory here – but definitely a celebration jig, song etc for your anniversary. Let me know where and when and I’ll be there if I can. Bloody well done THAT woman!

Oops, better go – almost deleted this while nodding off. Going to get some sleep ready for the PARTY.

Marie xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Inka13 so good to hear from you! You don’t have to list your struggles if you don’t want to. Just come on and say hello. I miss my buddies! I know as well as anyone how difficult it is to live this life and not lose any weight. I am also very aware of temptation (mine is alcohol not food). I have recently read a book about alcohol addiction and it is helping me stay on the straight and narrow. My losses are still slow though…something to do with my body methinks.

Marie123, I also keep an eye on your posts. Are we secret stalkers lol. What a bugga to do so many steps and not have a result! I am gutted for you. I find that if I walk too much my hip gives me hell…so I try and move about in other ways. Whilst painting yesterday I had my ipod on and I was belting out some songs and jigging about like a 5 year old. I am paying for it today though, and I have to put the top coat on…groan. Can I ask what asmr is. It’s ok if it’s a secret.

Allie, reminded me yesterday of Searchingrockpools and a few others. I miss them.

Well time to get painting.

Stay well everyone and enjoy your Sunday. See you later?

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello friends, I’m here from sunny Jersey!
    Nonna Mary, I’m also going to be digging out the paint brush when I get back tomorrow as I need to paint my window surrounds prior to having blinds fitted on Weds. I’m off all next week and it would seem I’ve picked a really good week weather wise to be on holiday. Last Thursday, it was really foggy and 6c when we took off from Bham and we were due to land at Guernsey on the way over. The landing got aborted at the last minute due to fog! So we circled for about 30 mins and the pilot had another go successfully this time. Got to jersey 2 hours later than scheduled but that was fine. Lovely hotel! Yesterday the temps were 16c and gloriously sunny! What a contrast!
    So to recap and fess up if you like, I’d lost my mojo somewhat so far this year and was ‘maintaining’ around the 15.9 mark. Then last Thurs morn I jumped on the scales and I had gone up to 15.12. Yikes! So I’ve used this mini break to get back on track and cut out that pesky bread that had been creeping back in to my diet at weekends! So far so good!
    Tillybud, that is fantastic news to hear you are nearly at target! I have much admiration for you! Superb!
    Time to go and get ready. Having Sunday lunch at The Old Smugglers Inn…..
    Wishing you all a relaxing Sunday! 👍😁😁
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Yay Kazzee! Glad you had a good relax in Jersey. Horrible journey though (I am not a good flyer). So you have gained….you know how to lose it, you can do it…I think everyone …even skinny minnies…lose and gain regularly. It is called being human (in my humble opinion). I have put the painting on hold as other things are taking preference today. As you say the weather is to pick up this week, so no rush for me, as I don’t work (well I don’t get paid…I am a constant childminder!).

Again, lovely to hear from you. Take care.
    Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Marie!
    Glad to hear you’re still using asmr, it’s still a lifesaver for me most nights! Do you have a favourite?

• posted by Inka13
    on

Nonna Mary, I’ll definitely do that, thank you! I miss everyone too and it’s nice to see familiar names from before drop in, T57 hello!!
    Your kind reply actually gave me a spring in my step and I decided I’m embarking on a 36 hr fast to reboot me!
    Having PCOS I’ve realised really slows my weight loss, and I’ve struggled massively, I’m certainly one of the un-success stories on here!
    That changes today!! Thanks agin my friend and wishing you a lovely week ahead! Xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Mary – ASMR is a top secret code – so top secret I don’t know what it stands for.

I’ve actually just looked it up – ASMR = Autonomous sensory meridian response – but the definition doesn’t help – or at least doesn’t apply as far as I go.

There are videos on YouTube that are of day to day background noises, or people talking very low etc and Inka introduced me to them when there was a chat about not being able to sleep. (My usual fall back is Radio 4 on iPlayer).You can have them on in the background; they look very freaky, but if you just listen and pick ones that suit you they are strangely soothing. Like my radio programmes, once you’ve heard them a couple of times you stop trying to actively listen and they’re just a gentle background noise.

Inka – have you ever had the tingling sensation the definition talks about? My favourites are generally the longer ones without the talking but I do like the Tingle Fix woman you mentioned. Hers are the only talking ones I’ve liked so far, she has the most soothing tones of the ones I’ve tried – and I do like her make-up ones – although I keep peeping to remind myself of the colours she’s bought – which kind of defeats the object.

Take care both xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Mary, Marie has described it beautifully. It’s a bit like when you’re drifting off as a child and you hear those comforting, soothing domestic sounds as you lie there. I suppose it’s a form of relaxation, a bit meditative without the difficulty!
    Marie, I do the same with the makeup! I love her page turning ones, and unboxings, I too find her voice the most soothing.
    It’s such a strange concept to try and explain but it makes sense when you realise there’s much of it already in everyday like, just here it’s in a concentrated form.
    I have definitely gotten the tingles and a funny feeling like someone is stroking my brain!! Super relaxing!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Marie and Inka, thank you for your explanations. Would you believe…just as I was falling asleep last night I remembered what it was lol. I thought “ah that’s the listening thing before you go to sleep.” I have heard of it and actually seen it too! I have used a form of it, when I was racked with insomnia. I wore headphones and listened to a friends voice and incidental music in the background. Similar.

Anyway…HAPPY MONDAY everyone.

Inka…It has taken me 19 months to lose 5 stone, so you are not the only slow loser here! But then, I didn’t gain 5 stone in a month either…so it sort of makes sense to lose slowly. I think this 7 day reboot has done me a lot of good. All will be revealed on Wednesday!.

Have a good day everyone.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

I wish someone would stroke my brain at the moment. Our hot water has gone off and you could say my OH isn’t taking it well. I’m off out in a minute. I’m delighted you do that too with the make-up, Inka.

Mary, are you trying to tell me that you just had to think of asmr and you fell asleep; and what a great description, next time someone asks me what it is my reply will be “ah that’s the listening thing before you go to sleep.” Perfect. Why didn’t I just say that.

I have also lost just over 5 stone but while I’ve only been doing the BSD since August it was the continuation of a diet I’d started ages before – I genuinely can’t even remember when, I was that lackadaisical about it. So, I’m also a slow loser.

I’ll be looking out on Wednesday, Mary.

Right, having employed avoidance tactic No 1 – leave the room, I’m now going to employ avoidance tactic No 2 – leave the building!

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hello girls
    Back from sunny (not!) Galway. So very glad I went. My lovely aunt who was 90 at my last visit really has failed a lot. She’s obviously pining for her twin but it is sad to see nonetheless. Booked to go again in June. She has such great stories. I have to treasure them while she’s still with us.
    Now, I do drink when I’m in Ireland. It’s a mix that works for me now. The pub is where everyone meets and I figured that alcohol 4 or 5 times a year is fine. I genuinely don’t miss it at all at home. Just call me out on it if I’m heading back every month!

I went to see another aunt wearing my skinny size 12 jeans. She told me to stop losing weight and to eat more! Quite the turnaround 🤣 Funny thing is, I’m at the top end of a healthy weight and determined to lose another 10lbs to allow for wriggle room. Oh but it’s hard to get back in the routine after a break. Have to motivate myself to get back to my aqua aerobics tonight. Determined to keep moving more. Tough for an inherently lazy person like me!

How’s everyone else? Not many of us still around now 😢

L xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hiya Leelee. I have a 93 year old aunt and I love to hear her reminisce. I didn’t meet her until I was 18 (family problems, my dad died and suddenly I had aunts and an uncle I had never met). She was the wife of my mom’s brother so not really blood relative. We hit it off right away and I love her to bits. I must phone her today. She often jokes that I phone more often than her son and his family. Our elders are to be treasured. I hope my grandchildren learn that!

Marie123…I lost 5 pounds. I am now 14:9…I haven’t been this weight for over 20 years! To say I am pleased is an understatement. The sun is shining here. I went to a yoga class yesterday and surprised myself by enjoying it. I will be going back next week and practising at home. The only problem was taking the weight on my knees. It really hurt, so I am going to invent something to ease the pain. (like a cushion lol) By the way, is your heating fixed? I am going to have to try your “listening thing before you get to sleep” as my insomnia seems to be returning. It must be all the energy I have!

Take care everyone.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Mary – I’ve come on the forum today especially to see how you did and I’m so glad I did. 14 stone 9lbs – that is absolutely fantastic. 5lb lost and well down into the 14’s. I bet you feel great – and deservedly so – WELL DONE THAT WOMAN. 14, 14, 14 – yeah!!!

You’ve got my sympathy with the insomnia – I’m also having problems sleeping again at the moment – just the sheer hectic-ness ? of life. Yes, a guy came out and fixed it later that day, so we’re all good again. Good luck with the Yoga – I did it once years ago but I’ve got such short legs I just found some of the positions impossible (now Mary, don’t even go there!)

Leelee – I’m also inherently lazy. I used to work harder and longer than most people I know, but if left to my own natural inclination, I could sit, or preferably recline, doing absolutely nothing for hours and hours on end. Ahh, bliss!

Take care everyone
    Marie xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Explosions of laughter here, Marie, from reading your comments to Mary about yoga positions! She IS more
    than capable of putting a unique spin on positional changes 🙂 🙂 🙂 Can you resist, Mare??? I hope not!
    (I left a post for you today on the positives thread re your grand achievement. Only 6 lbs to get into a figure
    on the scale that starts with 1 instead of 2! GRREAATE )

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

First let me thank everyone for your kind words and good wishes.

Allie….WOW…I hadn’t realised that. Oh em effing gee! I could be below 200 pounds in a few weeks (or next week God willing, but knowing the way I lose…). I am blown away by that!

I enjoyed the Yoga yesterday, BUT, I do ache today, and the stretching of the hips hurts! My daughter and I stifled more than one giggle when the lady in front of me released several green clouds of wind during the downward dog, with accompanying noises! I have to say I was surprised to find I could manage that position! I demonstrated it to Jovis when I got home and he was more than impressed too! Nuff said !!

On that note, I am going back to my sewing. I need the rest!

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Nonna Mary, that is fantastic news! I am so pleased for you! Woohoo! That feeling of getting under the 15 mark must be the most wonderful feeling! I vaguely remember it from when I lost weight with WW about 13 years ago.
    I too laughed when I read about the yoga experience. I started a class a couple of years ago but it was so full the room just wasn’t big enough. I then found some great YouTube videos so you can fit a session in at any time. Some good 20 min relaxation ones for beginners before bed also which are very useful as I too don’t sleep that well, waking every hour or two throughout the night.
    Hello to you too Marie, glad you got the heating fixed, and LeeLee, no cougar moments this time? Wink wink!
    Allie, how’s the spring cleaning going? I’m all fired up for tomorrow to do a run to the tip/dump and tackle the garden. I even managed to reverse my car into the garage ready to load! I’m rubbish at reversing!
    Went to see my aunt today, the one with the slurring speech and neuro problems. After many tests, she finally has a diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis. She was frightened it was motor neurone, so is quite relieved it’s this instead!
    It’s a wonderful sunny evening so I’m off out to remove the weeds from between the labs!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Fantastic news Nonna Mary, the reboot clearly did something good. Try tracking more mini-goals like the pounds that Allie mentioned, I used to track in pounds and kilos lost, going past milestones in pounds, stones and kilos, and of course the size related non scale victories, so the celebrations could keep coming (and more importantly the motivation to continue).

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you Mixnmatch. The strange thing is…I measure myself and my numbers haven’t moved since February! I must have a load of internal fat. I am happy to use NSVs whenever possible. I keep expecting my rings to become loose, after all I was 20 stone when they were bought, but they still fit really well. Not as snug, but nowhere needing resizing. I have had to adjust my watch 3 times…so I tend to lose in weird place. I am confident it will all work itself out.

Leelee, how is your leg now? Any improvement?

Nonna Mary
    xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.