New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Nonna Mary, it wasn’t until I saw another post of yours on one of the many threads that
    I frequent that I realized that you’ve been here for a good 16 months, and have lost 70lbs
    in that time, and are aiming for 70 more! Don’t hide your light “under a bushel”, Mary, that’s
    an amazing accomplishment 🙂 🙂 🙂 I’m sure that you will dispatch the next 5 stone in
    your own time and at your own pace. I hope that your health will also improve when we
    get this winter weather behind us.
    Wishing everyone a good week ahead, and let the scales know who’s “the boss” 🙂

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you Allie. I am very frustrated as I have plateaued for the last 6 weeks! I am so determined though. Stay well.
    Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nonna,
    Sorry to hear that your scales have plateaued for 6 weeks. If my memory serves me right muscle weighs more than fat, so as we get more “get up and go” having broken free from the highs and lows in how we feel caused by fluctuating blood sugar levels, our increases in daily activity will cause increase in muscle and mask the scales showing fat loss. Do you think thats what is happening at present? If so that’s good isn’t it as it will increase your resting metabolic rate.
    Maybe as well as thinking about inch loss, we need to look for NSV on body composition to help us KOKO. I just don’t know how easy that is to do. I know that the domestic scales that supposedly measure fat percentage are not considered to be accurate.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you for your comments JGwen. I wish I was more active lol. This is a habit with me. I go ages without losing then lose every week for a few weeks. I have tried upping the calories, lowering the calories, eating more (good) carbs, eating less carbs, more protein, less protein. More movement etc. I also only eat once a day, so I have tried eating twice etc. Nothing seems to work. I am an anomaly!
    This has been going on for 16 months so I am a bit used to it. Just gets a little frustrated from time to time. Having lost 70 pounds already I feel I know my own body quite well, so I will continue with this way of life.
    I measured my visceral fat today (divide waist measurement by hip measurement…under 8.5 for women and under 1. for men) and I am 8.2 so really, really pleased with that!
    Take care.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Help, Mary! I used used your formula (waist 29, hips 37) and I get .78! Am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Allie .78 is good…it is supposed to be below .85…lol….I put the decimal point in the wrong place. Oh Dear you have made me laugh. I can just imagine you thinking there is something wrong. I bet I did it in another thread too. I had better check…although I can’t change it now!

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Mary!! I thought I may have changed genders without realizing it 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I am such a muppet Allie. Lol
    Nonna Mary

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Mary, Allie
    I’ve just done mine – Waist 33 ins
    Hips 39 ins
    Hip to Waist ratio – .84 – woohoo – getting there!

Edited: Just realised it’s not below .8, it’s below .85 – I am there – woohoo, woohoo, woohoo!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

It’s a good feeling isn’t it Marie? I am chuffed!
    Nonna Mary
    xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Yes, me too Mary
    xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, Can I ask about this waist to hip measurement. Because my spare tyre is down around my hips rather than around my waist wouldn’t that give a false good result? – Or is that body shape an indication of low visceral fat?

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

JGwen, I don’t think it matters where the fat is outside and this is only an indicator of how much visceral fat you have around your organs. The man measured on TV had a huge belly (and his waist was less than mine!) and it overhung his hips. The programme was “Holding Back the Years” on BBC1 this morning 12/03/18. I think it is dependent on whether you have a waist or not…however, I googled the comment below…

Another method you can use to measure your own fat is to take a circumference measurement of the waist and hip which will give you your waist to hip measurements. This is an easy but not entirely accurate way to measure your visceral fat. Simply measure the circumference of each with a tape measure (around the largest point) and then divide the waist measurement by the hip measurement. If the number is worse than 1.0 for men, or 0.85 for women then they are considered excessive. For instance for a man a ratio of 36/40 is good.

This won’t all be visceral fat though – some of that will be subcutaneous fat that is underneath the skin (though you likely want to be rid of this too). To see how much of that fat is visceral, now measure your stomach once when standing up and once when lying down. The subcutaneous fat will fall to the sides of your body and disappear, but the visceral fat will remain where it is – this then tells you how much of that fat is visceral.

To be honest you don’t need to spend lots on a CT scan or bioelectrical impedance machine because you don’t need to know the exact amount of visceral fat there. Use the technique above to ascertain whether you have a problem or not, and then go about reducing that fat.

Hope this helps.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I think I know what you’re saying, JGwen. When I was morbidly obese, my biggest “problem area” was below my
    waist! I used to search far and wide for tunic style “fat clothes” and now they are everywhere 🙂 I’ve always been
    told to measure hips 8″ below the natural waist, i.e., where the body flexes when you bend to the side. Does this
    help?
    Allie

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi JGwen
    I’m not sure. I don’t really know much about it. I’ve also used a body scanning machine (never quite remember the right name) at the leisure centre which gives me a report on body fat % and visceral fat (although don’t really understand the visceral fat measure) so this will include my spare tyre.

It’s a good question so I’ll be interested in any answers you get. Hopefully someone else will be able to help out.

• posted by marie123
    on

The body scanning thing at my gym costs £5, but I’ve no idea how accurate it is. I just use all these things as an indicator of how I’m progressing. Right, I’m off to lie down and see where my belly ends up!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Marie I’m LOL! In the States this is “National Napping Day”, as we’ve just turned the clocks one hour ahead for
    EST. I will be be having an old lady nap, in honor of the occasion 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Like all the other areas I have lost weight from, my body seems to be loosing it in specific stages from around my waist. I seem to be loosing inches from my belly developing hollows at the side at waist height before loosing from the belly from the middle or lower down. So I look much slimmer than I used to when I look in the mirror face on, but I think there is not so much of a change when I look from the side.
    On the plus side if newbies are reading this, each time there has been a bit of loose skin even on my arms it has resolved itself.

The description re fat disappearing when you lay down is helpful. I can feel my rib cage in detail when laying down, just not when standing up…. So guys, are we all heading towards becoming artist models in the style of those paintings of ladies lounging on chaise longues?

• posted by marie123
    on

I’m up for it JGwen ….. I’ll just let you go first. x

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Ooh nonna Mary and everyone. My waist is 32 and my hips are 38.
    Hip to waist ratio .842. that’s what you call cutting it fine. I too look much slimmer facing the mirror. I actually have a waist now! Still a way to go standing sideways, but if I hold in and just as I turn a delicate shade of peuce (?)
    I look slim that way too 😲

Wondering what weigh day will bring tomorrow!

Hoping to lose 5lbs by tomorrow, ha-ha 😖😨

• posted by JGwen
    on

I thought I would model any new clothes I buy lying down for now 🙂 – Did you think I meant something different :-0

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Tilly …it’s interesting that you can look slimmer when peuce….for me it’s when my lips turn blue and I go into cyanosis for lack of oxygen. I don’t think it’s a good look on anyone lol.

I have a huge tyre of fat which has slipped down and hangs over my pubis (TMI). I do look much slimmer though and especially in my face and across my shoulders. I still wear the same rings and bras, although I have had to alter my watch strap, and smaller shoes. I obviously had a lot of visceral fat to begin with. I know I won’t have lost weight tomorrow because I have had over 800 calories, although low carb. Hey Ho…I didn’t get fat in a day and I won’t lose it in a day!

Take care everyone.
    Nonnay Mary
    xxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

I totally agree nonna, peuce isn’t a good look on anyone!

I’m still hoola hooping 10 minutes a day and try to make 10,000 steps a day but usually manage somewhere between 6 – 8000 and whatever I manage walking round the house (house not that big). Don’t think knitting counts as exercise but keeps me out of mischief. Also starting to get back into sudoku but lost my knack and still on medium strength instead of full fat but hopefully it won’t be long before we get back to it. (She added somewhat optimistically). It’s been 2 wks up to now 😬😕. Keep on keeping on one and all x

Tilly x

• posted by EC
    on

goodness!!…everyone has been very chatty while I’ve been sleeping here in the southern hemisphere!
    back-on track is going well…the scales down, down and then up a little…no idea why, but we’ll see what tomorrow brings.
    Re the ketosis discussion…I measure ketones with a finger prick just like BSL. I rarely go into full ketosis without actually fasting, but the level does go up sometimes.
    Visceral fat readings must also be different here….here healthy range is 1-12…mine is 10 so just OK but I want to see it lower still

Mary, 70lbs is epic!!…you have been far more committed than me as I think we started about the same time. Good on you!

While we’re talking results, I forgot to post the blood test results after my five day FMD (fasting mimicking diet)
    my IGF went down two points which is good
    CRP was already low so no change
    No real change in lipid profile. BP went down but still needs improvement

Tilly you’ve reminded me to get the hula hoop down from the loft! (I’m pretty good at it going R to L but hopeless in the opposite direction!)
    So I’m going to do it again later this month and again in late April and get all the bloods done again then to see how it all goes

have a great week everyone
    xx
    Erin

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning my lovelies!
    Interesting discussion! I too (being a barrel shape) am developing hollows in the waist area, beneath my ribs whilst my tummy droops lower and so also look slimmer face on. I’ve re-introduced the pulling in of the tummy muscles whenever I walk around, hoping to tone those up a bit!
    1 1/2 lbs off today – 15.8. Would have been more but I did have some wine on Sunday what with having the family over = was mum’s 81st bday on Saturday and also mother’s day Sunday. I have 4 1/2 weeks before Jersey so I WILL get just below 15 which is my mini goal.
    Mary – 70 lbs off – that is nothing short of stupendous! You will get there, I have no doubt.
    Hope everyone else is doing ok?
    Kazzeeexxxxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hey JGwen, – I thought you meant what you just said. I meant absolutely the same, of course……..just being courteous !!*!!

• posted by marie123
    on

Mary – you’re one persistent woman and I admire you no end.
    Tillybud – good waist to hip ratio
    Well done Kazz on the 1 and 1/2 lbs
    EC (Erin) – those sound like good results after your fast mimicking diet – I can’t scroll back so forgive me if you’ve already answered this. Are you using Valter Longo’s diet or just doing something similar of your own? What do you make of it ?
    Allie – hope you enjoyed the nap.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well thank you all for your kind comments, it has taken me 16 months. I still have a long way to go! My daughter told me today, that she was showing my lovely boy her wedding photos and I am half the woman I was then (2012). I wasn’t weighing myself at that time, so probably weighed over 20 stone (280 pounds, 127 kg). So I have probably lost a little more than that.

I have again weighed in 15st 2lb. Making this the 7th week. I am going to step up the movements and see if that makes a difference. It has to start dropping soon.

Kazzee well done. Onward and downward. Birthday wishes to your mum, how lovely it coincided with Mothers Day. I didn’t celebrate it this year. I told my girls, they are both mothers so they should enjoy their own days. Both had a lovely time and I got an unhurried day doing what I wanted. I see them so much it seemed silly to make them visit Sunday. They were here Saturday instead! Sometimes it is good for me to have a day off lol.

Marie123, your support is encouraging to me. I don’t know if I am persistent or bloody minded. Either way I am not going to be fat again (maybe that should say fatter?). Plus, I actually enjoy my food and everything else to do with this WOL.

EC was are IGF and CRP? Lovely to see you here.

Lizzie, where are you? Don’t make me come over to Toronto to find you! I will you know!

Lots of love ladies, keep well.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

JGwen, so odd…..I am losing in the same pattern as you. Looks pretty good straight on….not so much from the side. I have never had such an odd weight loss distribution in the past, but I chock it up to hormones/post menopause I guess. For the first time seem to also be losing in my butt. Just wish the pot belly would shrink a bit.

Mary…..hugh shout out to you! Well done.

For many slow and steady wins the race. I would love to have the rapid non-stop streak that Esnecca and Allie have had, but for me it seems a bit more spurts here and there with plateaus in between. I have to admit I am on sort of cruise control right now entertaining/caring for brother after a total shoulder replacement. So have moderated my diet to accomodate him (doing 3 meals a day rather than my normal 2) and a bit more dried beans as he is a vegetarian. But do not expect to gain anything as still pretty low overall, but carbs are a bit higher per the beans. In truth, am enjoying the change a pace for 2 weeks….will do some fast days when I am back on my own to restart a more austere phase. That is an aspect of BSD I really like. It does accomodate some bumps in the road…pretty easy to get back on track when you are ready. A 3 day fast (or near fast with 200-300 calories ….will play it by ear) generally does it for me.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Luv – that’s just reminded me. How did you get on with your catering dilemma and the bathroom/shewee thing regarding the long trip to your brother’s? Just wondering…. (or is that nosey?!) 🙂

• posted by Esnecca
    on

LTC, Allie’s weight loss was steady the whole time once she switched to 800/20, but mine was not. Even when I still had hundreds to lose, I would still go through weeks when the scale didn’t move at all, or when I gained and lost pounds at random every day. Once I crossed over from the obese into the overweight BMI category, monthly losses slowed to a crawl, like 1 or 2 lbs at most, which is why I introduced extended fasts to my repertoire.

Even on the BSD, having a lot of weight to lose is usually a labyrinthine journey with lots of curves and dead ends and retracing of steps. Allie’s steadiness is the exception. I experienced a combination of steady at times, all over the map at other times and drag-ass slowness at still other times.

You’ll get there just like I did, dealing with the frustrations and ups and downs as they come. Meanwhile, I can’t tell you how impressive I find your commitment to caring for your brother during his time of need while figuring out a system of eating that keeps the both of you healthy and the carbs at bay. That is no mean feat and you should be proud of yourself.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Luvtcook,
    I wonder if the weight loss pattern is linked to the difference in this WoE on focusing on fat burning against other weight loss diets. It seems strange to me that I am close to having lost 5 stone and yet have only dropped one dress size so far. In the past when I have lost weight by counting cals one stone has equalled one dress size.

I feel like my weight loss is occurring like the body is targeting one pocket of fat at a time, but as it happens on both left and right hand sides at the same time, its a pattern that the body follows for a reason.

I was worrying about ending up with lots of loose skin, and that isn’t happening either, so am not complaining. – If this pattern keeps up it could be quite cost effective because I will loose the weight elsewhere, then the body will start on the lower spare tyre so I will go quickly down the dress sizes, not having to buy enough clothes for months at different stages.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

E, thanks for your kind words and encouragement. They mean a lot. Truely.

Re my brother…..family is very important to me, so I am pleased to be able to help. Its a treat having him.

Kazz…..all went well food wise. Packed a lunch for first leg of the trip, and cut back on water drinking, with still stopping frequently for rest room breaks per mapping out where each would be. Bought the SheWee but did not find I needed to use it (seems like a great thing to have in car for the rare emergency though). Took tuna and mayo and mixed that up for lunch one day while waiting at hospital for pre op/surgery/post op. It got me through. Hotel breakfast was crap but low carb (overcooked scrambled eggs and crummy sausage….made keeping low cal no challenge !) Meals at my other brother’s home were great as they generously accomodated my low carb needs with lots of veg options with baked chicken. Got lots of compliments on the 50 some lbs I have lost to date….so had to be diet compliant at that point! Am still hoping to interest brother #2 and his wife to join me on IF as both would benefit from dropping some excess weight (e-mailed them link to MM’s 5:2 Horizon program…..will see if either ever watches it).

All in all trip went well diet wise except for some overindulged in shell on pistachios one evening ….have had to quit buying them, as found them them too “more-is” to quote other BSDers. On trip back, just did fast food burger, swapping out bread for low carb pitas. So all in all quite manageable, to my relief. Taking low carb pitas very helpful on numerous occassions. A real life saver if you can find them.

Packing low carb pita and toting cauli rice to restaurants has become pretty routine for me….really makes almost anyplace workable if you can do those small swap outs.

• posted by marie123
    on

Oh I do like to think it’s sheer bloody-mindedness Mary!

About the weight loss thing, my weight loss from the body has gone the same as yours, JGwen and Luvtcook. It’s very unlike how and where I’ve lost from on other diets. Like you say JGwen, it feels like there is some sort of system or pattern that the body follows; I’ve no idea what it is, but would love to know.

• posted by EC
    on

morning all….another busy thread while I slept!!

LTC…I agree your brother is very fortunate!! Like almost everyone here it seems, my losses are slow or stagnant but I’m feeling a very firm resolve with all your support right now!!

Mary…don’t you hate that those all photos will always be around?…even if they are a good reminder of how far you’ve come! I also have a couple from a son’s wedding that I just hate looking at!! (but I do as they both look so stunning….and there’s a great one of all my five!)
    IGF is insulin-like growth factor and it’s a potential marker for cancer risk. CRP is C-reactive protein which is a marker of inflammation in the body….so both good to have low levels

Marie, I did do Prof Longo’s actual diet…disclaimer here…my partner is working with his team to bring the plan to Australia…so I get to be his guinea pig. As I mentioned, I’ll do another round next week and then one end April before retesting bloods. The actual diet is easy as food wise its only 100 calories less than BSD….(though it’s all pre-packaged and soups are dehydrated so a bit like bushwalking food!)..but I certainly did miss my morning cups of tea and coffee with soy milk!! (and I did get caffeine withdrawal headaches….maybe not next time as have cut down a little since)

JGwen very encouraged to hear that there’s no baggy skin…I do fear that also, so am trying to up the exercise….but there are too little hours in the day!!
    Hope that all you northern hemisphere mob have a glorious day when you awake!

• posted by EC
    on

forgot to mention that I bought the BSD cookbook the other day and made the fishcakes from it last night….they’re a real winner!!….OH ate more than his share!! I didn’t have any eggs as I made made a batch of mini-frittatas the other day…..just added a tiny amt of coconut milk instead and that worked fine.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Erin! I’ve had a lot of time to consider the answer to the “loose skin” question over the course of the past 21 months.
    I think that it is largely driven by genetics and chronological age, as well as overall percentage of body weight lost.
    The latter seems to have the biggest impact on outcomes, rather than the type of exercise done to mitigate against it.
    The improvements in my overall health and well being have been so extraordinary that a bit of loose, baggy skin
    seems a small price to pay for vanity issues. Collagen production decreases with age, and I’ve had to accept the fact
    that after losing 20″ off my waist, I will never have a 24″ waist again, and some loose skin can be tolerated 🙂 I have
    heard that skin can take up to 2 years to achieve maximum tightening, so I’m still a work in progress (I hope!) Planks
    seem to be the standard for achieving maximum benefits, as well as Pilates. I’m actually shocked that I can even
    execute these movements, so I’ll report back if they yield positive results 🙂 If your research yields new solutions,
    I’m sure that we’d be “all ears”. I’m overwhelmingly grateful that I have the energy of a 40 yr. old today, instead of my
    calendar age of (ahem!) 69. Everything else is safely hidden beneath my clothing, and never sees the light of day
    unless I’m in my dr’s office or subjected to my husband’s scrutiny. Fortunately, he’s as nearsighted as I am 🙂
    Have a wonderful day, everyone…

Allie

• posted by EC
    on

thanks for that Allie…I don’t expect a huge impact on my trunk as I “only” have app 15kg (maybe 35lb?)to lose to get to my ideal and like you I beleive…if its under my clothes, it’s nobody’s business 😉 I’m mostly thinking old-lady arms as they do occ see the light of day in summer!!…so I guess it’s weights for me! and back to yoga as that does also involve planks and holding body weight through the arms…..it’s all good for me anyway, just need longer days!! (and here I am procrastinating here when I should be working!)

On the upside I’m already generally sleeping better…and energy pretty good (have to keep up with the border collie!)
    ….just had a v tasty lunch of my mini-frittata with my great harissa/anchovie aubergine dish and a green salad-YUM…and 277cal

speaking of sleep….it must be getting late in the US?!
    go well
    xxx
    Erin

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Wow!
    I get caught up in work and come back to an absolute flurry of activity!! Spring must be coming.
    So, shakes definitely not for me. I did not feel at all satisfied and ended up eating more! I’m definitely an old fashioned girl and require real food! I’ve started the batch cooking and found a couple of ready meals in the freezer for an emergency. They are a brand called good life and do a bean chilli with cauliflower rice which is ideal. I’ve also got some frozen veg in steam bags, so no excuse really. I may well invest in a slow cooker next pay day too. Not quite back to 800 cals but I am now stabilised and will push down in April. So much easier in the spring when the salads hit!

Will catch up with you all later xx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Aaarggh I’ve just lost s long post! Will try and rewrite it later just saying Leeleecheechee you are better with your batch cooking than shakes. I prefer food to “drinks”.
    Go well everyone. Happy Wednesday 😉

• posted by marie123
    on

EC – thanks for the info – I was watching an interview with Prof Longo just before I read your post, and also remember Michael Mosley interviewing him on the Horizon programme he did which ended up with MM producing the 5:2 diet. Lucky you being a guinea pig. I’ll be really interested to hear all about your follow-up blood test results. xx

on

OMG!
    I actually went back to the gym today. Lovely trainer helped me design a manageable programme with my gammy leg which has dramatically deteriorated, to the extent that I drag it behind me.
    Booked in for Aqua aerobics too on Sunday. Damn you adenoma. You now have a fight on your hands. I’m on my way back!

L xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

You ARE on your way back, Leelee! Never doubt it…I’ve looked for a post on what problems you have with your
    leg, but I’m sorry, I can’t find it 🙂 Water aerobics are a great low impact form of exercise. Have you seen any
    improvement with the chronic fatigue?? I hope that you can manage the demands of professional life, and
    find a way to pre-plan meals to make it easier on you! Let us know if we can help. How’s Dad?

Allie

on

Ah thanks Allie!
    I think my leg is all associated. It’s weak and practically dead now. I can’t actually feel it anymore, particularly when I’m tired. I figured some strength building exercises might be worth a try, but I’m definitely not a natural gym bunny. Acute fatigue or not, I’m an inherently lazy person 🤣🤣

Dad is doing really well, thanks for thinking of him. He’s stable now and only needs to be seen every two months. Would never have thought it this time last year!

St Patrick’s day tomorrow, so if course I’m wearing green to work today. Just to tease my colleagues, especially in view of the 6 nations (that’s a European rugby tournament that’s run every year between England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy and of course Ireland) Ireland currently top of the table and playing England tomorrow!

Happy Friday everyone

L x

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh LeeLeecheechee. I hope your leg problem gets sorted soon. I think you’re very brave becoming a gym bunny. I haven’t got the inclination at all and will stick to the hula hoop!

Can I ask you about your dad? You can tell me to bugger off and I’m sorry if I’m being nosy but do you have home helps when you go to Galway? Were in the process of trying to get help so we can go away. Our daughter did half term for a few days but I can’t ask her again to move in with her oh and two little ones. (Mum
    95) can’t be on her own too long. She lives with us but has her own spaces. She needs someone to be there when she gets up and give tablets, meals, drinks etc. although she washes and dresses herself (slowly) but that’s ok. Have you got good friends/neighbours or do you have outside help? Sorry, I hope you don’t mind me asking. Were new to all this and don’t know anyone who’s already been through it.
    Love Tilly x

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

LeeLee. I hope you get sorted soon. How awful not to feel your leg! I think I may have to talk to a “high power” to get things moving for you. I hope Ireland wins tomorrow too!

Take care and have a good weekend.

Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by EC
    on

Agreed Leelee…hope you get some relief soon….you’d think that be enough reason to remove the tumour even though its benign!…lots of good thoughts your way

Marie…I will post the next bloods…be late April early May though before I do bloods again

bedtime here…and I must get off the computer so that I sleep!!…been a little disturbed (my sleep, not me!) of late
    love to all the team
    xx

on

Tilly, course I don’t mind you asking!
    I’m very fortunate in that Dad is still fiercely independent (and annoyingly stubborn!)
    I set up his tablets for him while I’m away and he is very good at taking them, probably as I have a well established routine which he sticks to.
    He can make his own basic food while I’m away and I also have an aunt and cousin who call in daily on a rota, usually bringing goodies. I also have District nurses in once a week to dress his legs. The GP did offer help last year but Dad refused it, saying we were fine. He is so proud but has no recognition of the pressure he puts on me as a result!

He’s a good bit younger than you mum (just 80 🤣) and I’m not sure how much longer I would be able to do these trips without professionals in place. Dad gets the higher level DLA which is supposed to pay for caring help just under £400 a month) I wanted to use it to get a cleaner but he won’t. He just squirrels it away! Have you had mum assessed for the same? My neighbours get it and use it for Avis homecare to come in while they are away. I’ve only heard good things about them, so I suspect that will be the route I take in the future. I definitely need the breaks or I would go mad and it’s tough when working full time to.

Are any of those options open to you?

I went to work for 7 am today as on call and it’s bloody freezing! Home now. Have parked dad in front of the rugby for the afternoon (6 nations is a life saver for me!) Valuable me time coming up!

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone ☘️☘️☘️

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Thank you so much LeeLee. Mum was quite capable to until 2 years ago and we used to toddle off to France in our motorhome for 5 or 6 weeks at a time .
    She was assessed for dementia just over 12 months ago and it’s just age related memory loss. Whatever you call it she has no idea anymore about her tablets which I sort and give her and she wastes no time in telling everyone she’s not under the doctor (?!)and takes no medication and that she’s marvellous for her age! And yes that is pressure on me.
    We have approached “home instead” and are waiting for a call on Monday.
    You’re right though about the breaks. Absolutely vital. I have polymyialgia rheumatica and have had breast cancer recently so “helping” her in and out of the bath is awful for me too. We have a bath seat now and it’s better for me to sit her on it and shower her down (she won’t have a proper shower as she doesn’t feel clean after a shower, only likes a bath!) Bless her.
    She gets the lower rate of attendance allowance of £55/56 a week I think but she’s not happy with the thought of home helps. Flatly refuses to consider respite (if we could get it) so there’s no alternative.
    Not ideal but getting more necessary as time goes on.
    Thank you so much for your reply and your help x
    Tilly x 😘

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you too, Leelee! My sister had one of those DNA tests evaluated last year,
    just for fun. We had accepted the family lore that we were 50% english/french (even have a family
    LeCount coat of arms to validate it 🙂 ) and 50% russian/ukrainian. Results were surprising…No french
    at all, but lots of Irish thrown in, along with ancient tribal connections to Mongolian marauders!
    Everyone seized upon this connection to explain where my eyes come from. It was all just for fun,
    and involved nothing more than expectorating into a tube.
    I’m glad that Dad is in a stable place. My husband has heart failure too, so I can definitely relate.
    Are the wounds that need to be dressed related to diabetes or CAD?
    I’ll be finding something green to wear today 🙂

Have a wonderful weekend, All,

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.