New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Morning all!
    Oh my it’s cold! So of course I have prepared salad for lunch…
    Slowly getting back on the wagon. Managed to lose 4lbs of my recent gain and sitting at 146.6lbs. First goal is to get back under 140. Hopefully by the end of March.
    I find it easier during the working week but weekends are a challenge, which tells me it’s very much head hunger rather than a physical need!
    Off to the gym tonight for a re-induction. Haven’t been in 6 months since my diagnosis and I’m not sure if it’s sensible given my muscle weakness but hoping at least to start toning. Maybe the rowing machine will be my new best friend!

Erin, I’m thinking about sourdough bread now. It is one of my kryptonite foods

Mary, glad you appear to be on the mend. I had a weekend of rugby myself but now I have a mental picture of you waving a salami around, you naughty mare!

Stomach chatting away to me now, so off to pacify it with a cup of coffee with cream. It really is my saviour these days!

Happy Monday everyone xx

• posted by FrancophileDee
    on

Started the 800 BSD this morn, read your cheery post and feel better about it already, thanks.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!

Erin, I would never order you to do anything! I don’t think you would obey anyway! It is lovely to hear from you though. I couldn’t live a more different life than you. I am city dweller and the nearest mountain is a few hours drive away. We do have a large hill called the “Wrekin” though, and a place called the “Lickey Hills” which aren’t far, but definitely not in view. Also…SNAKES! Wow, I would be so scared to venture into long grass. I am not frightened of snakes, but wouldn’t fancy being bitten! Funnily enough, the thing that scares me are TICKS! I am so worried that I won’t walk through long grass with my dogs. Yeuk, horrible things (the ticks not my dogs, they are lovely).

Leelee, have fun at the gym (if that is possible, I am not into formal exercise). I use my hula hoops a few times a day. First a hundred to the left…then repeat to the right. I have only just found out how to do it at the tender age of 61…I just couldn’t do it before. Thank goodness for YouTube. I didn’t find a hot salami to wink at me, but there were some fresh fish…lol

Welcome to Francophiledee. We are a very friendly bunch, keep popping in.

Just a word of warning. I can see snowflakes outside and it is very cold…some trains have been cancelled for later in the week. This can mean only one thing…THE UK WILL BE CLOSED FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK. It’s pathetic our response to winter. Lol.

Dumptynomore, we miss you!

Stay well everyone. Lots of love going out to everyone…

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Nonna Mary – it was a total whiteout just now, but it’s gone again! I’m parked 11 miles from home so I’m hoping I can get home okay tonight. I believe the rest of the week will be getting much worse… I loathe this, it’s 1st March on Thursday for pity’s sake!

Allie – how’s it going with the new laptop? Got your test email… Did you get my response?

Confession – after a good week BSD wise, I got to Friday and on the way home I bought fish and chips and a bottle of red wine. I ate half the food and all of the wine – Malbec. I thoroughly enjoyed it. BUT, I gained 4 lbs overnight! I’ve not weighed since and will leave it until the weekend after my fast which I am starting today. I’m going to try 5 days. I really need to find a better coping mechanism to stress at work – having said that, in the old days, it would have been a bottle every night of the week, regardless! But this is a response I need to stamp out.
    Erin, Lee – good to see you both and FrancophileDee – welcome, welcome! 🙂
    Right, month end calling…. back to the grindstone.

Have a good afternoon/evening my sisters! 🙂
    Kazzeexxxx

• posted by EC
    on

good (Aus) morning everyone!

Allie…thanks for your welcome back…I will look at that other thread today..thanks. I’m on day two of the FMD (fasting mimicking diet)…had a cracker of a headache last night (missing my coffee?) but all good this am….and my doctor has agreed to do bloods before and after, so will an interesting experiment. And, its also a good kick start back to BSD ways

Mary, you’re right, I probably wouldn’t obey (though I’d listen to you!)…my darling OH frequently tells me I have issues with authority!! 😉
    I’m a little like you re creatures. Although they’re venomous, the snakes are not aggressive…and luckily we don’t have paralysis ticks this far south….spiders are my nemesis (and cockroaches…again fortunately no prevalent down here!)…they can jump you without you noticing!!. Where we live is lovely…but not rural..we’re just on the outskirts of a v small city (but bush all around). Some idiots are proposing a cable car on our beautiful mountain…with a huge infrastructure at the base grrrr….hopefully we’ll fight it and win!! Kunanyi/Mount Wellington is still a beautiful barely touched wilderness, but so accessible.

Lee…I’m also going back for a gym induction tomorrow (last time, I fractured that rib the same day…also months ago)…I’ll be thinking of you in solidarity as I ache! (and think of sourdough!!)

Kazz..I fell by the wayside for longer than you…so well done for backonthehorse so promptly!!

Go well everyone …and yes welcome Frankophiledee….you’ve chanced on a lovely bunch
    xxxx
    Erin

• posted by alliecat
    on

LadySusan, I hop from thread to thread these days, rather
    than spending time here, but I’ve been thinking about you,
    and wondering how you are fairing. Are you okay?

Allie

• posted by EC
    on

Mary, taking your advice and checking in!! (despite saying I wouldn’t obey!!)

Kazz, hope your fast is OK (I think after 5 days on FMD, I’m not craving wine, but we’ll see on the weekend when I have both visitors and a music event….BAD combination!!…happy if I keep it moderate) more importantly, hope you made it home safely the other day!

Feeling for you UK posters with the snow and gales (though I love seeing snow on the mountain, too much and being snowed in is only briefly fun!)
    We have just moved into early Autumn and though the days are still warm, I’m noticing the lovely crisp morning air when I walk the b collie….it’s my favourite season…..sunny and golden (mostly) and perfect weather for getting back into long walks.

Not much to report otherwise..
    have a great weekend everyone

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi EC. Unfortunately, doing 24 hour back to back fasts and one 48 hour fast and my scales are firmly stuck on the same numbers. However, I am not a number! I will continue as I am as eventually something HAS to happen!
    Another unfortunate is that after feeling almost “normal” for this week I have now got another sore throat!
    Right back to bed now, very tired as a broken nights sleep.

Later peoples.
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh Mary. What s bummer. Another sore throat xx you poor thing. Bed is a good choice I think. Like little ones, sleep yourself better.

I weighed 10st 3 and a quarter this morning so hopefully it will keep on going down. I’m getting my money’s worth out of this lb. It keeps going but I keep bringing it back. I’m hoping that it will get fed up and dizzy and spin off for good! I’ve had a couple of wines and bubbles this week (wedding anniversary, 41 years) so can’t figure how I’ve lost it!
    This snow is making me fed up now. It’s so cold. I want it to go now. Looking forward to spring and a bit of warmth.

Hope you’re ok Liz x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello 😁
    Yes, I’m fed up with this weather now. Booked today off. Just as well as all trains from my home town cancelled. Am on the sofa watching classic Coronation St. Some of the one liners are so funny!
    Mary, sorry your cold is making a reappearance. I’m just focusing on Monday when temperatures start to increase and get back to normal!
    Well, my 5 day fast ended after 2 days. I was feeling light headed. Fung’s book said to choose a least stressful time, and I chose month end! Didn’t really think it through. I will have another go from Monday as I’m eager to do this.
    Erin, good luck with the weekend visitors. My friends are happy to try my BSD meals and all have given up the wine for awhile. I’m fortunate that I only have myself to cater for mostly and I’ve gone back to online grocery shopping!
    Kazzeexxx. 😁

• posted by alliecat
    on

“Morning, all!
    Kazz, ordering groceries online has worked out wonderfully for us. When we began this practice 20
    months ago I was totally amazed that thoughts of cheese, crusty bread and wine left my obsessive
    mind when there was no prospect of consuming any! What wonderful friends you have, forgoing the
    vino, too. I’m doing a lot of running in and out today, so I’ll catch up with you later via our usual channels.
    Keep warm, my friend!

I hope you all see a break in the UK/Siberian weather patterns that have been such a challenge of
    late. Just a few short weeks until Spring is on the way. Can’t come soon enough for many of us!

EC, direct some of the warm air from down under our way, won’t you? It’s so nice to have you back
    with us 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

on

That’s it. I’m officially a bear. It’s cold and my body is telling me to lay down fat. It seems to want it provided in the form of bread and salted caramel. Oh but the runaway wagon was much easier to grab when it was nice weather and salad and water was my friend!
    Sorry to hear you are unwell. You’re having a rough start to 2018 that’s for sure. Your persistence is admirable though. I’m in awe!

Well done on your results Tilly. I think that sometimes a lapse or two can lead to a re-boot and better results down the road…

Right, time for a coffee before my 100% carb and sugar free online shopping arrives. It’s the only way like you say, keep temptations out of the house!

Love to all

Lee x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Leelee! Salted caramel and bread…That’s an interesting combo! Resist, my friend. 🙂 This cold
    snap can actually be a fat burning asset if we fight the urge. I do find it harder to slug down all the
    necessary water when the glass is so cold to the touch. Theo recommends hot water and lemon, which
    helps a lot. I’ve just unloaded this week’s grocery delivery, too! Nothing in the least bit tempting, there…
    O/h has fallen, HARD for Esnecca’s kimchi deviled eggs, so I’ve become a slave to peeling a dozen hard
    boiled eggs every week. If that appeals to you, I’m fairly certain that it’s posted on the kimchi thread.
    Weather in the UK is suppose to let up by the beginning of next week, so brighter days ahead!

on

Ahh yes, I should say that I don’t want the bread and salted caramel together. They just seem to be my cravings of the moment. Funny though, I can be really disciplined at times. Last Friday I treated my team at work to Dominoes for lunch, while I ate my avocado and feta salad!

I’ve used kimchi in a pork “stir fry” type dish and loved it, so might consider the eggs. It’s important to get a bit of variety in. I do love my eggs too!

My delivery has arrived. Plenty of temptation I’m afraid. I have my father with me and he’s a carb and cake addict. I figure he’s 80, with diabetes and heart failure but really has no pleasures at all these days, except his food, so I let him have it! I’m a softie really. Just don’t tell anyone

L x

• posted by Tillybud
    on

OH KAZZEE, fish and chips. Couldn’t tell you the last time I had a chippy tea. I can smell them. Wrapped in newspaper. Wonderful. Malbec is one of my favourites too! Although I’m on a Paul Mas Languedoc from Waitrose at the mo’. It’s fab ( there are other wines and supermarkets available and I have no financial interest or gain from either, I just love it).
    LeeLeecheechee I think you’re right. I will be losing more this week hopefully. I will have a glass of bubbles on Wednesday if I’m discharged from the hospital …. Here’s hoping x my mum is 95 and she likes cakes, puddings and biscuits so I’ve plenty of temptation too! We’ll get there Hun. Don’t worry, in our own time and our own way.
    Tilly x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi guys
    I lost the 4 lbs I put on after my chippy tea (I like that saying, Tilly) and wine plus another half a pound. So back to square one and another try from Monday of a 5 day fast. My groceries were delivered last night amazingly. Bless that driver. He’d trudged from the main road with his trolley. Fortunately I’d only got a small shop.
    Hope everyone else is doing okay? Testing out skype on Allie’s new lappy later today so excited about that. Better go clean my house now so she cant see the dust over my shoulder! Haha. 😁
    Have a good weekend y’all.
    Kazzeexxxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi ladies
    Today is my 59 th birthday.
    This year I have spoiled myself and given myself two big presents. The first was a 10 day trip to Goa to see my cousin who I have not spent any length of time with for 45 years and the second was to go back to this WOE today.

I have been AWOL for far too long, my head has been in entirely the wrong place, I was saying the right things but my heart was not in it. But the time is right now

To remind myself what a wonderful bunch of women you are whilst at the airport on Friday night I started to look through some recent posts and almost immediately I see the lovely Mary talking to our founder the remarkable Liz!
    Wow I think the stars are aligned.
    Then I find The post from Liz
    Liz, God must think you are one hell of a strong woman from what he throws at you. You will beat this you will come out the other side.

You are yet again my inspiration

It’s great to see so many familiar names and new members
    I have missed you all
    Madmare

• posted by Jacshadow
    on

Happy birthday Madame 😁🍷🍰

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Madmare it is sooo good to hear from you! Welcome back. A HUGE HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Glad you had a lovely time in Goa.

Now…I think I ought to have a stern word with all of you. But I can’t. Let’s just get back onto the wagon and keep going together.

Lots of love everyone.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Madmare. Lovely to see you back. Happy birthday! What a fabulous holiday! Glad you are feeling buoyed and ready to get back in the groove! 👏
    Hi Mary . How are you feeling today? Did your sore throat develop or did you manage to nip it in the bud? Hope so! You’ve had a rubbish start to the year with illness. What a relief, the snow is melting and the temps rocketing to 8c by tomorrow! Such relief and now feeling buoyed myself now as Spring start s to kick in now!
    Hope everyone else is doing ok?
    Kazzeexxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome back, Madmare! I DO recognize your name, and remember other reboots 🙂 I sincerely hope
    that your 59th year will be the one where everything comes together for you!!! Please let us know what
    your particular challenges and goals are, so that we can offer the kind of support that will be of the
    most benefit to you. The 4 week challenges seem an outstanding way to refocus, because they’re
    very active threads populated by members at all stages of their own personal odyssey towards optimal
    health, and the maintenance of it! Please drop in, you’d be ever so welcome 🙂

Very best wishes, and happy birthday!

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi everyone. Well today I can describe myself as “COLD FREE”. I no longer have a sore throat, the cough is down to mostly a clearing of the throat. I am feeling back to normal. Thank you all for your good thoughts, they were greatly appreciated.

On the weight front. I haven’t lost a pigging pound! I am a brilliant maintainer….and I want to be a loser. However, I am not giving up. I go on holiday in 8 weeks and I would love to be under 15 stone by then. Fingers crossed everyone. I have stayed the same since 30th January…that is 5 weeks! I am going to up my movement and see if that helps.

I notice a few people are missing and I would love to hear from them again, so come on girls and any guys who wish to join, come on down. lol

Lots of love peoples, stay well.
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Searchingrockpools
    on

Hi Nonna Mary
    Soooo glad you are feeling better. I was beginning to get worried with the ongoing disease state…
    Phew.
    Well introverted a bit here.
    Carrying on with bsd way of eating.
    Scales move down… then I stick there… then i get frustrated. Eat that one small serve of rice or slice of bread or wrap. Then I bloat, I forget its bloat and the scales go up.
    Then hormonal bloat and cravings for salt, food, anything not nailed down bloat repeat.
    Had a small glass of wine with dinner at an Italian restaurant Sat night. Best option that wasn’t pasta pizza or cream or sauce loaded was crumbed calamari with salad and chips. I ate about 10 chips.
    No exercise to note.
    Have replaced alcohol by and large with commercial kombucha. Delicious.
    Tricks me into thinking I’m having a nice wine.
    I drink it from a wine glass too.
    Google Remedy Kombucha Hibiscus, and green apple my faves along with Watermwlon from another brand Lo Bros.
    Anyhoo as the Northern climes suffer cold from the Siberian ice fields or?? … the ice witch of Narnia?
    Here downunder on the West coast we have finally had some Summer heat… now it is autumn…
    Well all, must away. Feeding my insomnia by being online does not help.
    To all keep up the good fight as you get your health in hand. Some days we struggle, but here we don’t do it alone.
    I’m trying to remember this myself. Only practice creates habits. Healthful habits I’m aiming for.
    Happy Wednesday all.
    Searching Rockpools xxxooo

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Hi nonna Mary

I’m so glad to hear you are now cold free and only a little “clarty” and I certainly commiserate with you not losing any weight and being a great maintainer. I have been up and down with the same couple of pounds since Christmas! I am today 10st 2 and a half! So if I can lose 2lbs this week, in theory there should be no problem losing the same next week. Ha ha 🤣😂

Come on nonna we can do this! For our holidays and for our health too don’t forget.

Wish I had a pound for everytime I’ve said we can do this or keep on keeping on or I’m on it …. I wouldn’t need to do the lottery, that’s for sure!

Are you going somewhere warm and lovely for your hols? After all this snow I could do with some sun on my back. If we get the home helps set up for my mum were going to have a few days away in April at a caravan site in Peterborough! Not top of my destination high spots (sorry Peterborough, but you know what I mean) but not far away if we need to get back quickly. If that works ok then we might venture to France for a couple of weeks but I’m getting ahead of myself …..

I recognize a few of the names from when I was “lurking” and it’s good to see you all back and just proving that althugh life gets in the way and shit happens we all KOKO!! In varying degrees and in our own way and our own time. Although we are a happy little army we all march to our own beat.

Just to mention as well; dozy me was convinced yesterday that it was Monday all day, hence the weigh in today (Tuesday)! Don’t you just hate it when Tuesday falls on a Wednesday? Obviously a senior moment!

Happy Wednesday everyone (or is it Tuesday?) …. X love Tilly

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Tilly, I have far too many senior moments lately. Think I may need to see the Doctor. I was happy to tell Jovis this morning that we won the lottery last night. Unfortunately, it was only £2.90 so he can’t retire yet!

My holiday is to Majorca. A lovely hotel and resort that we have been to before. So looking forward to it. A few weeks before that, I will be in Burnham on Sea with my eldest and her children. My lovely boy can’t imagine holiday without his Nonna!

Even Peterborough is a break and the surrounding areas are ok. I was looking at 3 day weekend city breaks and the break is for break the bank…so expensive and London is the most expensive. I can get a week in Tenerife for the same money!

Oh well, onwards and (hopefully) downwards. Lizzie, where are you? Also LeeLee, Dumptynomore et al.

SRP good to hear from you. Well done on restricting your evening out. I believe the odd meal wont hurt as long as it isn’t all the time. It is “Mothers Day” on Sunday and I have no idea what my daughters are thinking of. I usually end up cooking lol. Still it gives them a rest.

Take care everyone.
    Lots of love

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello 🙂
    I’ve also “maintained” this year, and also go away in 6 weeks, but now I’m feeling a burst of motivation and so far this week have stuck to plan. Not the long fasts though, just 24 hour daily fasts. I am managing to drink 2 1/2 litres of warm water and lemon slice plus 2 mugs of black coffee morning and evening. I’ve never been able to drink all that cold water but warm is a doddle, so thanks, Allie for the tip, which you got from Theo! It works!
    Right, c’mon girls, let’s stop procrastinating and pull our fingers out – it’ll be Summer in a blink of an eye, and then we’ll be moaning that we wasted the first 2 months of the year… I’m good at the talk, let’s hope I can do the walk!! 🙂
    Kazzeee xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I know you can “walk the walk”, Kazzi, and at your own pace, too 🙂 And you know that this “old harpy” is
    always at your elbow….We all find the way that suits us best. Keep the lacey butterfly on your mantle
    shelf..Spring is about to put in an appearance! You may even attract some beautiful specimens to your own
    garden with the projects you have planned. I envy you that wonderful outdoor space. I’d like to roll up
    my sleeves and work the earth with you! My ground is filling up with snow as we speak…

xoxo

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh nonna that sounds lovely. Hopefully it should be warm and sunny and relaxing. Oh I’m drooling!.

Been to oncologist this afternoon and everything looks fine so will see me in 12 months. Yessss!! Although I knew deep down I was ok it’s good to hear it.
    Where are you Liz? How’re you doing, hun? Where are you up to? And how’s “our” Kev. We’re all thinking of you .

Kazz you will do your stuff ready for your hols as Allie says if anyone can, you can. Have you come to terms with your new scales yet? Mine are still playing me.! You have given me a talking to and we can all “walk the walk” so let’s do this! You’re right and we will kick ourselves by the summer if we don’t get “on it” so let’s link arms and get this collective army marching together.
    Love Tilly X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Tillybud I am thrilled that everything looks fine from an oncologist point of view. 12 months to next visit…I am punching the air with you.

We can all indeed walk the walk. I am strutting into the kitchen to get myself some Kimchi, then will eat my dinner. Take care everyone.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

on

Hello all
    Tilly, I too am punching the air for you. 12 monthly follow up is fab news. We need that here right now.
    Nonna, so pleased you seem to have turned a corner too. We all had a rough time of it lately what with one thing and another!
    I’m still struggling on with my friendly adenoma. Hopefully find out tomorrow if it’s functional (producing hormones) I kind of hope it is, coz then it can come out and hopefully I will get some relief from these poxy symptoms. Still waiting for the CT scan appointment though. Grrrr, time moves slowly when you are on the other side!

Slowly back on the wagon but it’s not shifting. I too keep saying hello and goodbye to the same 3lbs! Finally kicking my sugar cravings, which will help I’m sure. Got a bean chilli with cauliflower rice for lunch tomorrow which is great for keeping me full. BUT in all honesty, it’s really head hunger that’s been my downfall. I should really do a 800 cal re-boot but my symptoms make me feel so weak, I actually feel like I NEED more, even when I’m reality we all know I don’t! Still, let’s see what the week brings as I have been disciplined at 1200.

Now, I’d like some input into something. My fatigue is so debilitating at times that cooking just seems like a step too far. Feel silly saying that with what Liz is going through, but it is what it is I guess. Anyhow, I’m wondering about replacing dinner with a protein shake as that would be easy and quick and presumably better than my old go to of sandwiches. Has anyone used them? I haven’t checked out the rest of the forum yet, as you are all my go to girls. What do we think?

Oh, and this cougar has booked another trip back to Galway in April. Wonder what will happen this time 🤣🤣🤣

L xx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh thank you nonna and LeeLee. It is a relief as you will know. I hope Lee that your problems are soon sorted. It is a bugger having to wait all the time. Irrationally you think, don’t you know this is my health and possibly my life you’re messing with? I haven’t got time for delays, but then you have to take a deep breath and think the delay is because someone else needs the appointment more than you do. Not always easy I know.
    Lee I think your off to Galway with an expectation rather than a wonder! You sexy lady. Go for it girl!

Can’t help you on the replacement meal front I have never tried them. I’m sure some of our girls or even guys may be able to help you. If anyone can they will, be assured. Someone will come up trumps for you.

Wishing everyone well

Love Tilly x

on

Definitely no expectation Tilly, just thought it would make my girls giggle!!!
    I’m actually going to visit my two elderly aunts. One didn’t look well in Feb after her stroke last summer. Guess I want to spend as much time with them as I can while I can. Honestly, it’s like a verbal history education sitting with them. Such fascinating stories. I often think we don’t listen to our elders enough. They have such wisdom 💕

Funny, so exhausted by it all at the minute and yet I’m still wide awake! Come the 6am alarm call, I will happily stay in bed. Why is that?!!
    L xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Leelee, I’m sorry that you must wait again, before you can order your life around getting past your
    surgery. Admittedly, I’m not knowledgeable about how the NHS functions, and the waiting times assoc.
    with it, but I do have enormous empathy for chronic fatigue that is as debilitating as that which you are
    experiencing. I do know that meal replacement shakes can vary considerably in terms of how much
    sugar is in them. I’m wondering if you might be able to structure your day to include meal prep first
    thing in the day? During the worst years of CFS, this strategy was the only one that ensured that I
    could get a meal on the table every night. I used to be completely “out of gas by 2 or 3 in the afternoon.
    Thinking how I would manage those symptoms today, I think that I would depend on a pouch of
    wild salmon and the 3 minutes it might take to steam 8 oz of spinach to get me through, as well
    as early morning batch cooking on the weekends, or whatever days of the week you have off. I
    wish I could offer something more helpful, and if I think of anything else, I’ll check back in on your
    thread. Here’s hoping “your girls” have other constructive suggestions 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by EC
    on

hi everyone
    So much good news going around (even if not weight losses!!)

Well done Tilly with your prognosis and Mary, so glad you’re finally free from colds…..under par is where none of us want to be! Though we live in a beautiful place, I am a little envious of those of you not at the bottom end of the earth where you can acces other countries so easily!!!…despite my mild envy Mary, I wish you an outstanding holiday!!

Lee…I also agree that you want that blessed thing out and gone from your life!!

I finished my five day FMD almost a week ago….and, as it seems for nearly everyone here…while I lost weight, it was just the few kg I’d regained over Christmas and the (southern) summer holidays. Still feeling good in general and my last day I fasted for 24 hours except for a v small bowl of tomato (120cals) soup

Lee…in regard to the protein shake, most of the literature suggests that too much protein is not good for sleep (unless its proteins high in tryptophan)…..but I’m sure that it would be OK in the short term….OR what about freezing soups on the weekend for a quick go-to???….we have just committed to buying a stand alone freezer for just that (and to deal with the ridiculous amount of summer produce that I’m still processing!!!)….anyway…may better energy come your way

anyhoo….must get back to work….we have a long weekend coming up so maybe I’ll do another fast day

catcha all soon!!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

GOOD MORNING BSD’ERS!

Just a quickie as I am preparing to look after my lovely Noodle for the first time in weeks!

Leelee, I wish they would just remove the bloody thing, although I don’t wish major surgery on anyone if it stops you feeling shitty it is worth it. Galway again? Sure you are visiting your aunts…wink wink…I do agree about listening though. I remember listening avidly to any stories my parents told me and my 92 year old aunt is fond of reminiscing…although it does tend to be the same stories over and over again. As for protein shakes…some are high in sugar…some do well (I think lighter life is a good one), but on the whole I am against them. There is evidence that they can damage the Gall Bladder, but I suppose they are ok if only taken short term and used as you plan.

EC I saw on another thread about your houseguests. Wow you lead a busy life! I would be permanently exhausted…come to think of it, I usually am lol. Mostly because I am baby sitting my grandies so I don’t really mind. However, when I get to bed I have trouble sleeping! Back to LeeLee again. I really didn’t want to wake up this morning and the thought of 6 hours with an 8 month old leaves me with dread. But, as soon as I see her I will be melt and go gooey. Then I will have a lovely time playing with her.

Tilly, I am too tired to walk today so I am going to sit by the lake and wait for Lizzie. She has to get here soon.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by EC
    on

Mary….love the idea of sitting by the lake…may I join you? (and maybe miz Liz will pop by)
    …and happy International Women’s Day all (at least I think we’re all women??)
    Our national ABC (Radio National) has had all women presenters today….and they have been SO great!! (one of the benefits of working from home is that I catch great snippets of radio)
    ….yes, the visitors can be exhausting Mary, and I sometimes crave routine, but at the same time, its very life-affirming and inspiring having wonderful musos stay….I’m happy (apropos IWD) to report that we’ get some extraordinary women stay as well!!…also I know from experience that small people are relentlessly gorgeous but tiring!

OK day today….OH’s birthday tomorrow, so no promises to be good….life is for living after all!!!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

LeeLee – I hear you. There is a meal replacement called Complan… http://www.complan.com/nutritional-values/complan-original/ but not BSD friendly. Only other thing I can think of is a super green juice but that is probably more labour intensive than Allie’s suggestion of baking some salmon and steaming some spinach, or EC’s suggestion of pre frozen soups to defrost in the micro. Recipes for green juice here:
    http://www.greenjuiceaday.com/30-green-juice-recipes/ I didn’t do any with fruit, just the kale/spinach, celery, cucumber, ginger, 1/3 lemon, 1/2 green apple. I halved the ingredients and because I could only get shredded kale, it was too fiddly to get in the juicer funnel, so used 6 large leaves from spring greens instead. I also dissolved a teaspoon of tumeric golden paste (good for inflammation) in some hot water and added that to the jug first, then the juice went in. This was using a juicer not a nutribullet. Tumeric paste recipe: http://turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste/ I make a batch and freeze in jars. As long as not overfull, they won’t crack. I hope you get your “thing” sorted soon? Any news on a date? You’ll have to start charging it rent at this rate! Enjoy your trip, Galway Girl!

Tilly – That’s wonderful news! It’s always good to get confirmation from the “Experts”. Way to go! My old scales have developed a crack on the surface under my left heel and although I go by my new ones, I weigh on both! Still consistently 2 1/2 lbs difference. I prefer my old scales, like old slippers! 🙂

Allie – I love the idea of you working the land with me, but I’ve seen your beautifully varnished nails! Makes it hard to imagine! LOL I guess that’s what gloves are for!

EC – yes happy International Women’s Day. At work, a load of cards with slogans have been left in the central areaa and we’ve all been encouraged to take a selfie with a slogan and post on our Workplace thing (a bit like facebook for work). I’m a bit self conscious but I may sneak a go when no one is looking.

Mary – glad normal nonna duties have resumed since getting well! Enjoy Noodle day! 🙂

Have a good day all… 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh, how effing annoying! I’ve just replied to you all, a huge post, with recipe ideas for a green juice for LeeLee and Tumeric golden paste and it’s not shown up! I’m stomping off to the cloakroom with my vape! Suffering suckertash!
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good humour restored, here’s a short form:

LeeLee – meal replacement, Complan, but not BSD friendly: http://www.complan.com/nutritional-values/
    Simple Green juice – I use greens like spinach, spring greens, broccoli, celery, cucumber, inch of ginger, 1/3 lemon and half an apple:
    http://www.greenjuiceaday.com/30-green-juice-recipes/
    Tumeric golden paste – a teaspoon of which I dissolve with a bit of hot water in the jug before adding the juice: https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-recipes/how-to-make-turmeric-paste-or-golden-paste
    The juice is more labour intensive than Allie’s and EC’s suggestions though.
    Tilly – Fantastic news on your oncology result! Made up for you! 🙂 I go by my new scales, but weigh on old one’s too – I like them, like a pair of old slippers!
    Allie – love the idea of you helping me in the garden, but I’ve seen your immaculately varnished nails so it’s hard to imagine! That’s what gardening gloves are for I suppose! 🙂 How deep is the snow?
    Mary – glad that normal nonna duties have resumed, enjoy your Noodle day!
    That’s it, best get back to work!
    Have a good day!
    Kazzee xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh, I see my original post is now showing! All very odd! kxxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi LeeLee,

Here’ s my suggestion for a quick meal that takes minimum time to prepare, in a casserole dish put a range of veg of choice with a drop of milk. Stick in microwave long enough to be half cooked. Put a layer of cheese on top of the veg with any spices. – I like smearing some garlic paste on the cheese when using slices of cheese, but you could use grated cheese. Put back in the microwave for long enough to melt the cheese over the veg and finish the veg cooking. – If you had a range of prepared veg in the freezer it would probably be as quick to make as one of the shakes.

I bought a little while ago a soup maker, where you just shove all the ingredients for your soup into it and it does everything, mashes it up and cooks it. (OK, so how can you tell I am not into slaving over a hot stove doing a chef impersonation.) Haven’t tried it yet, but I thought if I combined it with one of those timer sockets so I could set what time it starts up I could load it up in the morning and have a pot of fresh soup waiting in an evening.

Maybe instead of bought in shakes you could use a blender to make up some of the shakes which use tofu as a source of protein in them so you don’t have the sugar levels in the shake of the commercial brands?- I could look out some recipes for you from the vegi low carb cook books I have for this type of shake if that would help?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy international Women’s Day, everyone 🙂

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it on my side of the pond, but do believe we go about
    celebrating it every day of the week on many threads on this forum. Are any special
    celebrations scheduled to take place?

Tilly, I don’t know what form of cancer you are in remission from, but how great to
    receive confirmation from your oncologist that you are doing so well, and free to
    pursue life to the fullest. The BSD awaits, with no restrictions…Hooray!

Kazzi, long fingernails and a manicure never deterred me from digging in the dirt
    at every opportunity. Gardening is one of the few exertions that I truly enjoy. I used
    to maintain 5 different gardens on our property, and loved every moment of it. I used
    to find some irony in the fact that while I was doing much more strenuous and dirty
    labor outdoors, my cleaning woman was inside the house running the vacuume cleaner
    (hoover?) and waxing the furniture for 6 hours each week 🙂 Pick your poison, I guess!

Wishing all a great BSD weekend, and no more snow,

Allie

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Hi girls. Thank you so much for your thoughts and wishes. Allie it was breast cancer. Diagnosed late 2016 and after surgery started radiotherapy 2 days before Christmas. Had 15 sessions and finished on Friday 13th 😮😬 January 2017.

So have had one mammogram in October and oncologist yesterday. Feeling good. I started the bad just before I started treatment only to be told “we don’t care what you weigh … as long as you don’t change!” So had to put bsd on hold until the end of January last year.

I lost 2st over about 3 or 4 months and have kept it off but getting new scales had me weighing half a stone more than I thought so instead of ending at 9st 12 I was actually 10st 5 and a bit and that’s where I seem to be falling down . I can’t get below 10st for this 2nd time! But I will x 😛

Love Tilly x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Tilly. I do have friends that have been through the same trauma, and I so
    admire the strength it takes to fight your way through it. I’m very happy that the future
    looks bright for you! Weight loss is a snap, after what you’ve experienced. I’m happy
    to know your story….I wish you every joy life holds in store 🙂

Allie

on

Gutted is not the word!
    So, finally got a copy of the clinic letter from my endocrinologist appointment. Apparently my adenoma is not functional (producing hormones) so no further action other than regular monitoring. While health wise it’s meant to be good news, I’m disappointed. It means there are no causes identified for my symptoms which leaves me very much in limbo and with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Still, must keep plugging on I guess. Worse things happen at sea (as someone once said)

Happy Friday everyone!
    Lx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Leelee, I am so gutted for you! However, on the bright side, you don’t have to have surgery and suffer the vile side effects of anaesthesia! I so wish I could help though.

Let’s look forward to Galway. Did you get the young man’s telephone number? Are you going to visit the watering holes? You know I live vicariously lol.

I am preparing to have my lovely Noodle again in a bit. She is lovely, but has a heavy cold so a bit grumpy, although I shouldn’t moan as all she wants is to sit on my lap and have cuddles. She is standing now and will walk whilst holding on. I got her age wrong as she is 10 months on 24th of this month. ON a down side, my lovely grandson was upset yesterday as his friend wouldn’t play with him. He is only 3 and a half, so not quite mature enough to deal with rejection by a peer. I wish I could take everyone’s pain away. What a super power that would be!

Love to all, back later.
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Thank you Allie. Everyone has been so kind and thoughtful over the last 18 months or so, it’s really heartwarming. Hope your friends are now on the right side too.

LeeLee I’m gutted for you too. How disappointing. You’ll fight your way through this and we’re all there with you. You can call on any one of us or all of us together for a good shout or swear. I’m married to an engineer (retired now) so have heard all the words before!

Like BSD it’s keep on keeping on!

Tilly x

on

Tilly, you have been through far worse and come out the other side, so I have no excuse!
    If nothing else, it’s led me here and changed my life. I kicked the booze, something I never thought I’d do, so even if I get no further forward or lose no more weight, I’m so much better than I was a year ago!

Funny Mary, Galway is not about the young man who took a shine to me. I enjoyed the recent experience more because it highlighted to me how much I have changed over the last year. It’s not about weight loss, but how much better I feel about myself. It’s obviously transparent, hence being pursued! That said, I’m very happy to take the confidence boost and walk away from that particular scenario! Hope you have a lovely day with Noodle. Poor wee grandson will recover, but so hard seeing them hurt and not understanding why it happened.

Tilly, I look forward to having my vocabulary updated 🤣🤣

L x

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    Lee…sorry to hear of your frustrating diagnosis….nothing worse than feeling so shabby with no obvious solution in sight!!

Mary….who wouldn’t want such a doting grandmother as you are!! Lucky kids!!

I am (I hope) completely back on the straight and narrow after all those visitors and then OHs birthday (actually the birthday meal was pretty BSD friendly…but the day prior to wasn’t!)
    The downside of all the digressions means I’ve regained much of the weight I lost both last year and during my 5 day FMD….but already a 1/2kg gone since yesterday, so hopefully it will shift fast! I’m also more committed to alcohol free than ever….so will be trusting you all to keep me on track!!

Glorious early autumn weather here,…..hope that you all also have a great weekend
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Erin, my heartfelt congratulations on your commitment to banish alcohol from your life, and
    this post will put your thread at an even 2000 posts. This maybe a record! I only post here when
    I see that friends have returned. 🙂 I’m so so happy to hear that you are back on track, and
    I know that you will continue to the finish line. I’ll be looking for you out on the forums!
    Time does pass at the speed of light, and it’s almost incomprehensible to me that I’m
    now 10 1/2 months into maintenance. Welcome home!

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.