New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey everyone. I am hoping you have all had a good weekend.

Today I made a huge aubergine lasagne, so a lot of freezing to do later. I also made my first Kimchi. I haven’t had my Kefir for a while, so I made some of that too. I am going to take both on an empty stomach, just not at the same time!

Allie, I know it is sad to lose a sister, and Christmas is a time about families. We can still share a moment on Christmas together!

My daughter doesn’t usually take advice too well (she is 33 by the way), but is improving. I think it was because she could see Jovis has lost weight.

Do you have many visitors at Christmas? Thanksgiving soon too. I wish we had a thanksgiving holiday. It would do us good to remember to give thanks! Unfortunately, I don’t have many good memories of my mother, but the dancing is one of them, and I try very hard to only recall the good ones.

I must have another ‘go’ at caviar. It was a long time ago that I had some and I wasn’t very adventurous then. I am now and as the price has fallen I will try some. Any advice as to how to serve it?

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Mary, it is a dark dismal afternoon here, looks like it is about to
    rain or time for the sun to set, then I click on your post and the sun
    comes out! What a lovely thought, being able to check in with you
    on Christmas..I look forward to it ๐Ÿ™‚
    Here’s a thought. Maybe your youngest daughter is trying this WOE
    because Jovis lost some weight, but would that even have happened if
    you hadn’t led the way forward???
    Only about 2 weeks til thanksgiving. As of yet, we have no plans.
    I certainly agree that we would all benefit from a pause to give
    thanks. I feel gratitude each and every day that jim survived his
    colon cancer surgery and subsequent 2nd heart attack. Much
    to give thanks for. Probably he will spend the day watching American
    football. All I know is that the day will not be about indulging
    in carby food! I don’t have much interest in the sport per se apart
    from those long ago days when he was on the field. He used to
    have this weird ritual: If his team won the game I was suppose
    to get down to the field and be on the sidelines to congratulate
    his heaving, snorting person (also smelly!) after the last play.
    If there was a loss, I was suppose to go back to the fraternity
    house and wait there! Only had do the latter once, though.
    You’re right, caviar is much more available and less costly than
    it used to be. There are even some fairly decent domestic versions
    on offer. We used to be able to afford a pig sized tin of beluga,
    but since jim left corporate america, I now enjoy a tiny little
    jar. People serve this in all different ways from putting it on top
    of a hard boiled egg as a topping to serving it on toast with
    chopped egg and onion. I’m pretty much of a purist though,
    and load my little jar on top of of 4/ 1″ melba toasts. I think
    the most decadent way is on top of tiny red potatoes with
    a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche. I think my hands down
    best experience was in New York City at the Russian Tea Room
    where I had some excellent beluga on top of those miniature
    pancakes, blinis. Heavenly!!!!
    My, you’ve really been productive in the kitchen today. Wonderful!
    I have yet to try any of the alternative noodle lasagna recipes.
    Let me know how it turns out if this is your first maiden voyage.
    Does it get at all watery?
    Time to roast a chicken – See you tomorrow!

Love, my sweet.

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hiya Allie and Mary

Looks like it’s just us 3 at the moment. Hope everyone else is okay.

Allie – in answer to your question about fasting – absolutely, it’s the best thing I’ve come across for me. I would find it difficult to stick to 800 cals if I was eating 3 times a day. It’s so much easier to manage only eating twice or once per day. The thing that used to sabotage me before was having to cook myself a healthy dinner. After my 11 hour day (including the commute), chopping and prepping veg was the last thing I wanted to do and having beans on toast, egg on toast, cheese on toast, was so much quicker and easier. If I was super organised at the weekend, I’d prep and cook a load of veg on a Sunday which would keep in the fridge for the week, but once mum got ill, all my weekend organisation went out of the window. Now, when I get home, it is so nice to know that if I don’t particularly want to have any dinner, then I don’t have to and just have a portion of walnuts or something. It is easier for me working full time though. I’m on holiday next week – another life laundry week at home, so it will be interesting to see how I get on with the fasting that week.

Christmas will be just me and my mum this year. We always used to go to my brother’s but things have changed this year as my sis in law’s mum is now on her own so she will be going to stay with them for a few days plus my niece has a partner now so they will also both be going, plus 3 small dogs! I love my sis in law to bits however, Xmas lunch always makes us smile…. she is so highly organised and practical – and always conscious of weight gain at all times – over the years, some of the starters have been weight watchers soup, low fat pate and 1 slice of WW toast! Portions of main dinner could fit on a tea plate and she always counts the sprouts! We get 4 each! I kid you not! One year, she mis-counted and so she only had 3! We would never hurt her by saying anything but mum and I have found it very amusing over the years, guessing the sprouts. Well, once we got over the initial dumfoundedness! ๐Ÿ™‚ So, mum and I are pushing the boat out this year and we can’t BLOODY wait! Watch what we want on the tv too, nice and warm. Astonishing, right?!! Bless her but you can understand why mum and I are so excited! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll catch you later, best check my emails…

Love Kazeeeeeeee xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Mary – meant to say, I’m impressed at you making your own Kimchi. I plan to have a go doing that next week. Your aubegine lasagne sounded delish too!

I’m having 2 hard boiled eggs and spinach for lunch today – I love that meal! Thing is, I can’t eat any kind of salad without a bit of salad cream! I’m trying to ween myself off and tried it with oil, lemon and pepper dressing but I didn’t enjoy it. I’m not a fan of oily dressings…. but I must persevere with that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kxx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Allie, Mary and Kazz — there are so many super active threads right now that I’m having trouble keeping up — sorry for slow posting, so many things going on right now with issues with my 94 year old dad, my niece having twins (and a very difficult delivery — 3 days so far and no babies yet — I’m mad they won’t just give her a C-section but I’m not the doctor) — roof repair (yay, rain on the way!) and about a hundred other things —
    Mary, my daughter is just 35 next week and she is pretty independent too, like yours — does not take advice well so I’ve stopped trying to offer any. She is a lot of fun though, I love her self-determination and she is an amazing cook. In fact, I’m going to press her into service for Thanksgiving because we will be at my younger sisters house and she (sister) CANNOT cook and even burns the turkey.
    One year she cooked the turkey at about 450 degrees and we only figured it out when the baster melted — hmmm, not so good! I was like, why is the plastic baster melting? Then saw the temp that the oven was set to… Ha ha.
    Kazz, fasting is my current salvation — anytime I get over-eager in the food department I follow up with fasting for 24 hours and that seems to set me back on track. I haven’t been able to go longer than 24 hours but I would like to try like Theodora and Esnecca — I just need a good “window” to give it a try. It took me a long time to work up to 24 hours so I think I can go longer if I practice. The problem I have is that my OH would like to have dinner with me every evening — good problem to have!
    Allie, love reading your posts — are you getting ready for Thanksgiving on east coast (you are back on the “right” coast, am I correct?)
    I don’t even think all that dressing and potatoes and pie even sounds that good anymore — although, I am looking forward to my daughter’s pumpkin pie — I do love the pumpkin pie!
    I am going to be BSD-strict for the next two weeks so I am ready for the pumpkin pie.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Californiagirl, hello sister woman! I know exactly what you mean
    about being overwhelmed by the multiple active threads we are
    reading at the moment! I keep starting at the top of the page,
    and have only made it down to my “homepage” here at 4:30pm.
    You’ve really made me laugh about a turkey roasted at 450F degrees!
    You are of course correct, I’m on the east coast, CT to be precise.
    I have a great weakness for pumpkin pie, too. Unless I can find
    a single serving at Whole Foods to be shared by the 2 of us,
    I’m steering clear of it this holiday. It might spell disaster for
    me. I really could relate to your comments on treats residing in
    the freezer, on another thread. I so remember frozen homemade
    cupcakes sending telepathic messages to me at @11:00pm
    that couldn’t be ignored! I couldn’t even wait to defrost them,
    that’s how obsessed I was. I actually had to wait until O/H
    went to sleep so he wouldn’t catch me at it. Shame, shame ๐Ÿ™‚
    Now my Kitchenaid mixer sits forlornly on the countertop, unused!
    I’m so happy you had time to drop by today. Does your Dad have
    any urgent health problems? I lost my Mother following a massive
    stroke at the age of 94. We all know they are on borrowed time
    at that age but it certainly doesn’t make it any easier, does it?
    I hope you will be back SOON. It’s so quiet here that I feel like
    I’m surrounded by ghosts, with exception of Mary and Kazzi.,
    of course! Of course!

Kazz, I’ll be back later. Your posts are so full of fun that I want
    to allow enough time to respond. ๐Ÿ™‚

Love to all who may be reading but not posting! Hello66, I
    think about you every day. Put me out of my misery and let
    me know how you are, whatever the news.

Allie
    xoxoxo

on

Hi guys — my struggling/laboring niece just gave birth to her twin daughters, Kathryn (my daughters name) and Ava! She finally did have a c-section, so all ended well with the littles ones and mom and dad in Washington DC! That was exhausting….
    Allie, you are in Connecticut! Lovely to think of you there — our daughter went to Williams in Mass so we drove around New England a lot on visits but didn’t get to see much of Connecticut so I would love to go back some day soon.
    My dad is a 94 year old walking disaster — my mom passed away 10 years ago (we all say she had had enough of my dad — ha ha) he has always been a tough customer — successful? Yes. Nice guy? Uh, how about them Yankees? My dad is HIV positive and has multiple issues related thereto — Not a blood transfusion — he is gay but forgot to tell my mom over fifty years of marriage.
    Glad to know that I am not the only person who hears sugar treats calling from the freezer and… I usually tried to cover my tracks too!! So funny! These days I am the tough one, and my OH is a little more piggy.
    I am happy I’ve got some new sisters! Take care all.
    Julia

• posted by KazzUK
    on

A happy Tuesday to you all my friends

Julia – congratulations to your niece on the birth of her twins. I guess the profs do know what they are doing but it must be agonising to witness when a loved one is in agony! Wonderful news and just in time for Thanksgiving. It must be a whirlwind for you guys across the pond with Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years! Found the story of the melted turkey baster very funny, bless her, at least she tried! I’ve heard of pumpkin pie of course but never had it. Is it a savoury or sweet dish? I shall have to google as can’t imagine it!

Mary – good luck on your weigh in today – I’m going to try a 48 hour fast so will let you know how I get on. I was going to try yesterday but ended up having lunch and a light dinner, so starting from last night at 7.30pm. Must remember to drink lots of water. I’m quite interested in autophagy. Just started reading up on it – particularly interested in how it can help reduce loose skin which I am concerned with. I carry the majority of weight around my torso and last time I lost weight, although I didn’t get to target, I was aware of beginning to resemble an old crumpled duvet! But that’s not the end of the world – as Allie said on another thread, no one sees you when you’re dressed!

Allie – I have many culinary stories up my sleeve! The good thing about it just being me and mum this year is that we’ll have leftovers! And we all know, those are the best bits!

Another quiet day at work today with my guys over in Berlin at a conference so I will be back later!

Loves
    Kazzzzeeeee xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello everyone. Sorry I didn’t post yesterday, but I had a day, where I did lots and achieved nothing! You know? When you seem busy but nothing gets done? I did pick up my new specs though. The lady who served me was very large. At least as big as me although about 40 years younger. I confided in her that I had lost weight and she took the bait and asked how. Then I told her. I am evangelical about this way of eating! She said she would try as she is getting married in the next 2 years and wants to feel better about herself. I hope I helped.

Kazz, I am sure you will have a wonderful Christmas, just you and mum enjoying what you want to do. I love that your sister in law made sure you all had a regimented amount of sprouts. Perhaps it was to avoid windy botty burps later lol. Where the eff do you work? An 11 hour day including commute. You are marvellous! The most I have ever travelled was 45 minutes, I have put in 12 hour days though. Do you drive or go by train?

Allie. The Aubergine Lasagne was ok, but a bit of a faff to make. Jovis was keener than me. The aubergine (eggplant) replaces the pasta. I have made it with mushrooms as a replacement and I prefer that recipe. The kimchi, is not like the ones bought in the shop. It is spicy but I suspect not fermenting as there is no gas! I used the recipe in the book, but will use one from the internet next time.

Californiagirl. So pleased your niece is ok after what is an ordeal. My lovely youngest had a horrific 3 days before the birth and then a very traumatic week afterwards where she kept bleeding. Thank goodness all are safe. I have a horror story to do with turkey. Last year, I cooked the turkey the way I have always done (over 39 years). I carved the breast meat which was obviously cooked…then red juices poured from other parts of the bird. We were all astonished! We put the bird back in the oven and ate what we had, but 2 hours later the juices were still red. We gave up and ate the other stuff we had. I checked that my oven thermometer was working properly, so it wasn’t that. I had used a meat thermometer to check it was cooked…it is a mystery. This year I intend to cook only a crown!

It must have been a shock to your family to find out about your dad. He must have loved your mother to stay with her for so long. It would have been very easy for him to leave. Did she ever know he was gay? I have a personal reason for asking, I am not just being nosy.

My daughter has asked me today how to treat Noodle who is a little chesty and coughing. She is getting much better at asking for advice and seems to be taking it too! She is also leaving her with me on Wednesday for a few hours. Love my grandies so much!

I weighed myself and there is no change this week. I am not surprised at this. My stomach is all over the place, but mostly backed up. Immodium takes ages to pass through my system. Which is why I try to avoid it.

I read all the posts from the other threads. So many interesting people give such good advice. Kazz good luck with your 48 hour fast. I may try a 36 hour first. Let me know what you know about autophagy. I am fully prepared to have excess skin. Even young “big losers” have some slack skin. Look at a balloon after it has been blown up! I already have more lines on my face where the weight loss has been.

Hello66, LeeLee, Heather44, Solange, Searchingrockpools, crabbycams, fattyfattyboombomms…where are you?

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Haha, Mary – one of my favourites… “well there are no wrinkles on a balloon”! But I do have what my grandma used to call a wattle from my reducing double chins – slack skin and going all crepey! I can see my mother’s neck appearing! If only I could tighten my neck skin at the back! But hey, I’m a non celebrity 55…..! Thankfully no one sees my body that looks like a roadmap of stretchmarks! What with that and psoriasis, I stopped caring about that sort of thing years ago!

Aubergine lasagne – the Hairy Bikers, when they were doing their hairy dieters programme, did a lasagne but they unpeeled some large leeks and used those uncooked strips instead of pasta sheets. I never got around to trying that but I always thought it was a good idea. Thinner “sheets” with a bit more give, rather than aubergine that goes a bit sloppy. We should try that and compare notes!

Mary, I drive to Whitlocks End and get the train from there, into Bham. In the school hols I can do the trip door to door in an hour but in term time, I can add at least another 20 mins to the journey each way. Last night I left the office at 5.20 and got home at 6:50! And this time of year, you get late running trains due to “slippery rails” and “leaves on the line”!! There was an announcement once from the conductor – “please take care when alighting from this service. We apologise for the gap between the train and the timetable!” I’m used to it, even though I moan! ๐Ÿ™‚

I shall indeed let you know what I learn regarding autophagy however, I can’t remember who, but there are one or two people quite knowledgeable about it on this forum.

Kxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good afternoon/evening, dear sisters of my heart, another day
    has run amok. I’m talking too much elsewhere and getting behind
    with all of you! I used to save this thread for my “treat”, much
    like dessert, but now I’m going to make it my first indulgence of the
    day, no exceptions ๐Ÿ™‚

Julia, how thrilling to have a new set of twins in the family, and
    one named after your daughter as well. I know Williams College
    well, their art museum is one of my favorites. Their collection
    of impressionist artists is extensive. I know my way around the
    Metropolitan in NYC and the National Gallery in D.C., but that
    little gem in the Berkshire hills is a jewel unto itself. Not to
    mention all the sculpture on the campus. You must be very
    proud of your daughter, I think Williams is currently ranked #1
    nationally in liberal arts programs. My nephew has been accepted
    to Harvard, and will be taking a year off to teach English in Russia
    (fluent in the language due to attending Andover). My youngest
    sister received a full scholarship to Harvard so I guess it’s becoming
    a family tradition for them. That reminds me, I have to call my
    sister today (the normal one) as it’s her birthday. 59!
    That’s quite a story about your Dad. I can’t begin to imagine how
    difficult things had to be for your Mom. I lost my Father when
    he was only 47 so I don’t know who he might have become as
    a senior citizen, but he certainly didn’t make my Mother’s life
    easy. (shall I say a bit of a womanizer??) My Mother was a true
    beauty and could certainly have married again if she had wished
    to, but she never really trusted men after her own experiences.
    My husband excluded, of course ๐Ÿ™‚ Do you find that those in their
    90’s lose their inhibitions in their advancing years? My Mother
    used to come out with some stunning remarks in the last decade
    of her life. I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Kazz, thanks so much for the Daily Mail link. What fun to see
    those before and after stories, as well as to get a better idea
    of the Mosleys. They seem like very “regular” people. Maybe
    next year you will be a subject there yourself! All things are
    possible with this WOE, so we shall see!
    Your portrait of the meager serving on the yearly Christmas plate
    made me smile. I can just see you and Mum speculating on what
    might be on offer from year to year. I’m sure your SIL means
    well. Just think, you can stuff yourself with 6 brussel sprouts
    this year if you feel like it! The day you have planned this year
    sounds very cozy. I live in fear of losing long posts, so I’ll continue
    my ramblings on another ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazz, pt 2 from “talks too much” allie: I think your Mum must be so
    proud of you, working so diligently to change your life. You have
    learned so much in a few short months, and are now out there sharing
    your enthusiasm with others. I’m very proud of you!

Hi Mary, my love – Isn’t it curious how we like to “spread the word”
    at every opportunity? Good for you, potentially planting a seed in
    the mind of the clerk in the optician’s office! Neither Jim or I can
    look at one of his overweight colleagues without thinking that
    they have potential health problems around the bend. Most people
    just find the way we eat “weird” though, so I’ve learned to not talk
    about it unless I sense someone is genuinely interested. I’m a
    walking billboard, so the evidence is there. All anyone needs to do
    is ask, and I cannot be restrained.

Every other word I’m typing is misspelled. Time to cut my nails,
    I think! I even gave myself a manicure last week in honor of meeting
    Esnecca, but she hasn’t returned my calls thus far. Confusing, but
    everything is fine – No worries ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll take up with all of you tomorrow. Nighty night!

Much love,

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning my lovelies

35 hours into my fast. I was fine yesterday but by last night, when I would normally break my 24 hour fast, I couldn’t settle properly even though I wasn’t ravenous or anything, so I went to bed and watched Masterchef the professionals on my ipad. Probably not the best choice of programmes, thinking about it but actually, watching the butchery of a duck, was quite off putting! Then the sweet stuff just didn’t do it for me, so no temptation there. I fell asleep at 9.30, woke twice, woke again at 3am, awake until 4.30am, dozed back off for another hour then got up! So, a rubbish night sleep, but I feel quite awake! My mind was buzzing, dreams – some bad – but just thoughts mainly, so I did the deep yoga breathing thing which worked.

I feel the same, Mary/Allie, and if anyone asks I just say I’ve cut out refined carbs as much as possible and am following BSD then direct them to the website if they are genuinely interesting. If I told anyone about intermittent fasting they’d say I was starving myself! So i keep that quiet! I think if they are genuinely interested, they’ll read about that themselves so if they were to then bring it up, I would elaborate further with the 18/6 fast. Up to them after that.

Well – the bookings have begun for Xmas meals with work – 2 so far, one of which involves an overnight stay in London which is all paid for by the company so I’m looking forward to that. I’ve selected the 3 courses carefully and told the organiser for the no gluten options.

I best get ready for work, “I’ll be back”… ๐Ÿ™‚

Kazzeee xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – I think, reading between the lines, my mum is quietly relieved that I’m finally getting to grips with this WOE and doing something at last. When I have to sit down because of backache, whilst she’s paying at the till, is not a good thing! Plus, I do very much take after my father’s side of the family and he died age 59 – 21 years ago. I’m only 4 years off that. It’s like the unspoken thing! “Oooh, you’re just like your father” are the words that echo frequently! She cuts out articles about any health thing relating to IBS, Psoriasis for me, in fact, she’s saving the BSD series this week in the newspaper for me (even though I can read it all online) but I don’t tell her that…. ๐Ÿ™‚ We all get snippets of articles whenever we meet up! ๐Ÿ™‚ She posts them to my sister and my uncle who live further afield. We’d be disappointed NOT to receive them! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Mary – I’m at 41 hours into the fast and could gnaw my arm off….! I’m going to make a black coffee and fill my water bottle…. I did sleep badly last night and I’m sure feeling tired makes you hungry! I shall persevere until tonight where I have steamed greens and beef stew to look forward to! I only have to chuck it in the microwave!

Kxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Kazz is it worth it if you feel so hungry? I can only do 24 hours because I don’t feel hungry but I can’t go shopping without wanting to buy everything in sight!

You are amazing. I hope you get good results!

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning all!
    Mothers will always be mothers, regardless of their ages or
    ours, I believe. Kazzi, one of the things that saddens me the most
    is that my Mother died before I had found the way out of obesity and
    disability. I’m sure that it caused her much stress and anxiety. I
    wish that I had been able to give her that gift.

Last evening I had 2 glasses of Chardonnay, and I’m starving at
    9:00am! I can hear my stomach growling…loudly.

Kazz, I’d be really interested to know your profession, if that isn’t
    too personal of a question. Do you have to do any traveling? You
    seem to keep long hours when the commuting time is figured in.
    It makes me feel quite lazy, by comparison! At least I can take
    a brisk walk or lift some weights today ๐Ÿ™‚

Wishing you all a joyful day,

Allie
    xoxo

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hey Mary, do you have Noodle, today??

• posted by KazzUK
    on

It was just a hunger wave, Mary, I’m fine now ๐Ÿ™‚ Like you, I’ve only done 24 hrs before! I’m not sure I’d do it on a regular basis but I just want to see if it makes any significant difference. If it does, I guess I’d do it again!

Allie – I feel sad for you too, that your mum didn’t get to see your amazing achievement. But you know how very very proud of you she would be! If there’s such a thing as an afterlife, you bet she knows! ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t mind at all you asking what I do – I’m a personal assistant at a law firm. Been at this particular firm 20 years. I go down to our London office occasionally because I organise events as part of the role but generally I don’t do much travelling nowadays. I organise a lot of it though with 2 partners whizzing all over the place! I support 5 people in total so it does get busy!

And on that note, I’d best crack on! ๐Ÿ™‚
    See you tomorrow xxxxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Alliecat,

I’ve just read your post about your Mother and wanted to mention something that’s happened with me recently.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been thinking about giving up my cups of tea (with milk). I’m only having 20g carbs and the tea uses too many of these, especially as I’m slipping back into having more each day. But each time I think about it, I feel this emotion welling up. I know it’s to do with my Mum who died a couple of years ago. For all my adult life when we got together the first thing we’d do is have a cup of tea and chat about anything and everything, then have another cup of tea and chat some more. I’m just really struggling to give up that bloody tea. I know I will give it up but think I’m going to also have to feel sad for a time as well.

It’s funny the emotions this process throws up and you find yourself having to deal with.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Allie, My lovely grandie, Noodle has just left with her mother and the news is…I get to have her every other Wednesday from now on as my DD with be going into work. Yay. I get to play with my lovely baby and give her back later.

Kazz, as long as you are sure. I very, very rarely get hungry and quite often used to forget to eat. I have to say today I could see such a difference in my daughter. She has really lost weight, in just 2 weeks. I am such a proud Mother! You job sounds very high powered and stressful. I hope you have a good unwind programme! Your mom sounds great. My mother once asked me what my friends thought of me being fat! I told her they are my friends because of who I am, not what I am!

We have a financial advisor coming in a bit. Hopefully, he can tell us the best way to handle the house etc. We are thinking about equity release, but something in the back of my mind is telling me just to sell up! Will let you know later.

Lots of love,
    Mary
    xxx

on

I can feel the holidays coming because everything just keeps speeding up! Sorry to take so long to reply — before I know it the day is gone — also the time change for daylight-savings time has left me disorganized mentally — so funny, I don’t understand why California can’t do what Arizona does and just stick to one time!
    Allie, I love that you know Williams art museum — actually my daughter ended up doing their Masters in Art History there and so she lived and breathed the art museum for two years — it was an amazing program and she is SO much fun to go to a museum with now (she gets a crowd when she starts to talk about a painting) but she decided not to teach (or work in a museum) and is working on developing a women’s bicycle clothing company in the mountains — not exactly what she trained for but she is happy so we are happy.
    I loved the Berkshires and my OH loved them too and he is often rabble-rousing about buying a house there, however, they have long cold winters and I really don’t know if he truly understands how that would be (he grew up in Los Angeles).
    I might like to spend some summers there — east coast summers are insanely beautiful.
    And wow, Harvard legacies in your family! I would love my granddaughters to try for Harvard (or Williams) –I told their parents that they should move internationally for their school years and that would help them get in. It must be incredibly hard to get accepted — kudos on all the hard work in your family.
    Mary, it’s not rude to ask about my dad, I am the one who brought it up! I like your thought that he must have loved my mom very much to stay married for fifty plus years, despite the fact that he is gay.
    They were married about 47 years before she found out and it was only when he was diagnosed with full-blown AIDS that the doctors insisted he tell her.
    It was a very damaging bombshell to my whole family, and especially my mom, but they stayed together until she died (ten years ago).
    We have all come to grips with the history of it now — each child has their own “take” on it — he is still my Dad and he is still here, he had a very successful response to the anti-viral drugs — he is not well now but honestly, he is a strong person.
    Kazz — did you make it to the end of the fast? I might have just eaten something at the 35 hour mark and there is NO way I could have watched a cooking show — ha ha — self-induced torture — I can’t even watch TV sometimes because all the pizza ads make me hungry! I am a See-food, eat-food person — have you ever heard that joke? “I’m on a sea-food diet — I see food and I eat food” — I know it’s an old one!
    I love the articles being cut out by moms everywhere! My mother was famous for cutting articles from the newspaper and mailing them with just a scribble on top “thought you’d like this” — we called them mailbox-spider food!
    Electrician coming today to install a new thermostat! Yay, I am always too hot in this house — the BSD has revved up my metabolism and the inaccurate thermostat is killing me! I think my metabolism has gone on overdrive and I really do attribute it to eating BSD friendly foods and low-carb.
    Take care all — have a great day (wherever you are!!)

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Marie123…it is lovely that you have that memory. Can you not drink tea without milk? I didn’t think I could until I found out I am lactose intolerant. I couldn’t drink it with milk now. You do get used to stuff quickly on this WOL.

Advice from the Financial Advisor was …sell the house and downsize, then come back to me and I can invest your money….I am sitting there thinking…I don’t think so!

Today I finished my 3rd 24 hour fast. If I don’t lose weight this week I will have to chop my leg off to do it!

Take care all.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Nonna Mary,

It is a lovely memory and yes, I’ve just got to bite the bullet, separate out the emotion and get on with it. It’s just funny how these things catch you unawares – well, it did me that’s for sure. Thanks. Marie x

n.b. I’ve never posted on this thread before but I always visit to read what’s happening. It always feels like all of life is here. It’s lovely!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello sisters!

First 48 hour fast completed last night at 7.30pm and boy did I enjoy my supper! I also slept better last night even though I woke the usual 3 times, but not for long. I did have a peak on the scales this morning, and it was worth it but I shan’t divulge until my Saturday weigh in! Sorry to keep you in suspenders, girls! hahaha.

Marie – I switched to unsweetened soya milk in tea, would that be an option? I totally understand your association with tea and your mum. I can’t drink tea black either. Soya milk is only 1g carb for 150ml whereas semi skimmed and whole cow’s milk is 7kg. It’s the only milk substitute that I can enjoy. Makes coffee curdle though! So I have black coffee when fastiing.

Juliet – yes, see food and eat it – that (was) me all over! The old ones are the best! I love that description of mailbox spider mail!

Mary – I guess your mum was trying to jolt you perhaps and meant well, but we don’t need telling these things as we already know! We are our biggest critics! So pleased for you that having Noodle will be a regular Wednesday thing. Your patience has paid off. I’m really pleased for your daughter and her weight loss, she’s obviously feeling much happier in herself and that has a knock on effect with everyone she is around. As far as downsizing goes, I guess the pressure is off slightly now with Jovis working, so you can take your time and think about it. Research best ways to invest should you decide to sell. I need to see a FA myself and a colleague at work has given me his number. Says he’s good. I’ve yet to ring him because I have a distrust of FAs!

My guys are all back in the office today so it will be full speed ahead now until Friday but I will try and pop in at lunchtime if I get chance.

See you all later.

Loves
    Kazeeexxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Kazzi, 48 hours? I’m speechless! Not nice to tease us with the
    results on the scale, however ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m very impatient for Sat. to arrive
    when you reveal all. If you forget, I’ll be out looking for you!
    Thank you for your thoughtful words about Mother. I’d like to
    believe that she knows, too. I certainly felt her presence when
    OH was in the hospital in March. The hospital and Drs we choose
    to use are 1 1/2 hrs from home, so I made the very poor decision
    to stay at crazy sister’s house, just 10 min. away. I brought my
    favorite picture of Mother with me to give me strength, and set it
    on my night table. Day 13 into the hospitalization my sister threw
    me out of the house, and locked me out of my room. All my clothing
    was thrown in a wrinkled heap outside my door, and when I was
    able to get back in (thanks to her husband) I found that she had
    stripped my bed and confiscated my photograph. What was my
    crime, you may ask? “Disrupted her life by waking the dog at
    3:30am” when I got up to get some fresh air to try and manage a
    panic attack. Have you ever seen anyone in the midst of a full
    out narcissistic rage? Imagine someone with arms akimbo, face
    contorted, screeching what a selfish bitch you are. My definition
    of toxic and bat shit crazy ๐Ÿ™‚ Probably a good case study for the
    psychiatric journals under “Narcissistic Personality Disorder”
    as well. Well, I wasn’t planning on divulging this episode of what
    happened while O/H was literally fighting for his life on 2 separate
    occasions during a 3 wk hospitalization, but it’s what we do here,
    isn’t it? ๐Ÿ™‚ I spent the next 9 days sleeping in a chair in the Cardiac
    Care Unit, no shower, no clean clothes, no sleep, no wine, etc.
    Thank you lots for telling us all about your profession. In terms
    of responsibilities, it doesn’t sound too much different than my
    being a PA for a group of surgeons, wearing 10 hats at one time,
    feet never touching the ground all day long. However, that was
    30 years ago and I was much younger then! My hat is off to you
    for being able to keep up the pace. Doing this for 48 hours without
    any food is a marvel.
    Next week when you’re off I hope you will share all that you’ve
    been learning about autophagy and cell replacement. I’m so glad
    that I reminded you to get your books out of the Amazon cart!

See you later, my sweet ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie
    xoxoxo

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Jeez Allie – I’ve just read your post with my mouth hanging open in total disbelief. It’s upsetting just for me to read that your sister did that to you, even worse when you were beside yourself with worry, so you must have been in total shock to be on the receiving end. I should imagine you would be on auto pilot at that time and only think about getting back to the hospital and stay there, close to hubby. I’m so grateful he pulled through. Did you ever get the photo back? Have you got others? The closest I’ve come to that sort of irrational bonkers behaviour was from my ex friend who became an alcoholic.

Well, fancy that, I didn’t realise you had a “PA” string to your very creative bow! I’m not sure how I cope to be honest sometimes – Autumn and Spring are the busiest times, and when it goes crazy and I’m being bombarded, it can be overwhelming. Fortunately, we all have peaks and troughs so there is always someone able to help me out and likewise, I do the same. We look after each other as in our team, the 4 of us have worked together for years! I actually wanted to be a hairdresser! ๐Ÿ™‚

We had book club today – the next book is George Orwell’s 1984… theme was “cult classics”. I suggested Valley of the Dolls by Jaqueline Susanne – read it 35 years ago (superb read), alas, it was not picked! I’ve never read 1984 although it always was on my list ….

Ok, best get back to it, bye for now and see you tomorrow.

Kazzeeexxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazz, of course I remember your post about your alcoholic friend!
    You went far beyond what any friend could be expected to do. I
    felt so sorry for her son(s). It told me lots about you, though ๐Ÿ™‚
    I can’t wait to hear what you think of 1984. My husband teaches
    a course on “Principles of Mgt” and he assigned this book as part
    of his syllabus. When I asked him why, he told me about how mgrs.
    can manipulate their employees by similar methods to those outlined
    in the book. More of a large BEWARE, on his part.
    Such techniques are currently being employed by the
    mainstream media on a relentless, day to day to basis in the U.S.
    to further the progressive agenda. There is much in there that
    applies to every day life. I’m looking forward to hearing what
    you think re “the memory hole”, etc!

I’ll be back…………………

Allie

on

Go Kazz on your 48 hours fasting! You have joined the big leagues — I would like to try to soldier through 36 hours but I will probably have to practice a bit. It will be interesting to see how much you lost and I remember Theodora said her longer fasts continued to have effects for a week or more. Let us know soon! And really good job!!!
    Allie, your sister is as awful (and worse) than mine — what a cruel thing to do to toss you out of the house and during such a vulnerable time. I might have been sceptical that sisters could be that mean but I had my own “event” with my older sister when she rented a condo on Maui for a week and invited me to share with her two boys (ages 6 and 8) and my son (age 11).
    When we showed up, they had arrived earlier and took all the beds (turned out there were 2 rooms only and three beds) so my son and I had to sleep on the living room couch (not a pullout — just cushions) and the cushions from the couch pulled out and put on the floor for me. We could have put the two little boys in the queen bed and she and I have a twin bed each and my son could have made-do on the couch (he was only 11) but she insisted her boys have “their own room”.
    That sort of set the stage for the rest of our time together which lasted only two days — during which she almost ran the car off the road when her son opened the car door at 50 miles an hour and the other son threw a little creamer pot at her during dinner which hit her in the face and spattered all over everyone at the table.
    Both of those would have been grounds for discipline in our family but she just roared on until she finally lost it with contorted rage and screaming over something else that she found to be mad at and ordered me out of the condo so I just packed up and left.
    My son and I flew to Honolulu to visit the Pearl Harbor memorial, then we just flew home. At that time I didn’t have enough money to rebook my own condo so it was really cruel to my son as well.
    Many many years later we have patched it up but there are always new “events” every time we get together so we never make any real progress and my other siblings are done with her.
    You know, I am thinking that some of our weight issues could very well be connected to all this family chaos. Part of embracing the BSD is letting go some of those worst memories that just don’t serve us any more.
    Kazz you are going to enjoy 1984 but it is a chilling read and much of what he writes about is well underway.
    Mary — I’m with you — anyone who says “downsize” and give me your money to invest isn’t trustworthy.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Julia, bless you for your candid reply. I read your story and internalized
    all of it, my pulse rate elevated thinking about what you and your son
    had experienced. In a way, it’s like living in the “Twilight Zone”, isn’t
    it? For brief moments we even think we’re the crazy ones…accept
    anything to keep the peace! I had to take a walk to clear my head ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m so sorry you know the road that I have traveled! My thoughts are
    rushing now, so I hope this doesn’t spew forth as gibberish. I com-
    pletely agree that family trauma is at the core of our weight issues.
    Several years ago I had the tv on early evening while I was out in
    the kitchen rattling the pots and pans. It was one of those talk shows,
    Oprah or something (I’m not a fan) and there were 2 experts on, a
    psychiatrist and a psychologist, and a panel of 5 women who were
    all obese. I wasn’t paying any attention, until a discussion of trauma
    came up with respect to how it impacted on obesity. These statistics
    were brought to light, i.e., not every woman who has had trauma
    in their lives becomes obese, BUT 95% of obese women have trauma
    as the core issue. I turned off the cooktop and sat down to absorb
    this. I’ve never forgotten it. Your observations just reminded me of
    it. Not only have we become healthy physically, but by bringing
    our experiences forward into the light with our sisters here, we are
    healing ourselves in emotional ways as well. Not to mention
    saving $$$ in therapy bills ๐Ÿ™‚
    Our shared Williams experience is amazing. My favorite time
    of the year to be there is in the Fall. I like the idea of getting your
    husband to buy a retreat there! I can be there in under 2 hrs……
    Other selling points are the skiing, and Tanglewood Musical Festival
    and Jacob’s Ladder for dance in the summer. All we have to do is
    figure out a way to acclimatize him to the winter cold! My favorite
    climate is the S.F. bay area. I hate heat and humidity!!!!! I’m so happy
    we are on the same path to wellness. I see bright lights and sunny
    days ahead for us all.

Much love,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Marie123, I didn’t mean to neglect your post, but it’s been a little
    intense here today. Thank you so much for commenting with respect
    to my Mother and yours. I think you may well be on to something
    about the reason you’ve been resisting giving up the comforts of
    your tea. Would it be utter blasphemy to take it with unsweetened
    almond milk instead of cow’s milk? I’ve been resisting getting rid
    of tops that my Mother gave me as gifts, even though they’re 6 sizes
    too big. My attachment is sentimental, I know.
    I’ve read other of your posts on different threads and I always
    read you as a gracious, caring and supportive lady. I’m glad you
    enjoy following our fiercely honest stories. Please join us! I
    think that the name of this thread is very unfortunate, particularly
    because we are about so much more than alcohol related war
    stories. Sugar, carbs, alcohol, etc. all impact on regaining our
    health and well being. It’s all about moving forward ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope to see you again!

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi guys!

Well what can I say. Kazz I hope you enjoyed your food after 48 hours. I almost had a go last night, but gave in and had surf and turf with veg.

I am not going to go into details…but you are not alone with having sisters who are a little odd. I used to say that my sisters first words were “I hate you Mary”. My brothers used to belittle everything I did and my parents told me I was too stupid to learn another language, understand Shakespeare…I would never Ice Skate because I was too clumsy and couldn’t enjoy ballet because I had thunder thighs! (I am the first person in my family to go to University and get a degree!) On top of that I was told I would never keep a man because I talked too much. (Just to remind you Jovis and I have been together for 42 years and neither of us have strayed). My father died when I was 18 and I didn’t grieve much, I thought it meant I wouldn’t be beaten any more, how wrong can you be? Mom was just as abusive and hit me until I was 21 and married. When I told her if she hit me again I would hit her back. I reminded her I was fitter, bigger and angrier than she could believe. She never hit me again. My brothers stopped hitting me as they left home. The last time was when I was 18. My last fight with my sister was when I was 22. I won! Even the dog bit her lol. I hadn’t talked to her for 12 months because she told a load of b*ll*cks about me having loads of affairs before Jovis. Evil spawn of satan that she was!

I guess what I am trying to say is, blood relatives we cannot choose, but families are what we make of them. One of my brothers actually apologised for how he treated me and admitted he didn’t know I was such a lovely person (his words). I am so sorry that my story echoes how traumatic your sisters have treated you. You don’t deserve to have that happen to you. I had 4 siblings growing up. I now only have 2. One Brother and One Sister are no longer on my radar. Guess what….I DON’T miss them!

We have to rise up and know we are the better people. I would never treat any of you that way. Allie…my heart sank reading your story. Take comfort in the knowledge you have what she will never have. She is to be pitied.

Julia, words fail me. To cause such unhappiness to you is unforgivable, but to cause pain to your son as well is pure evil. You also have far more than your sister will ever have. One day she will realise how awful it was of her. It is her loss that she doesn’t have your lovely self in her life.

Wow. It has been an emotional day for all of us. I have only skimmed the surface of the abuse I received, but I can just give you a happy ending. When I met Jovis, I knew instantly that I would love him forever. He is the most attentive, understanding, wonderful, remarkable man I have ever met. My siblings (apart from the eldest who has had his own troubles) are all divorced and have had some really awful times in their lives. I HAVE BEEN BLESSED. My lovely girls, beautiful grandies and my lovely Jovis. I have the best life ever. I think it might be time to watch ‘It’s A Wonderful Life.’ Is that a bell I hear ringing?

Love you guys
    Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Verano
    on

I donโ€™t often read this thread but today my heart bleeds for you all. Mary Iโ€™m so pleased that you now feel blessed. After reading all your posts today, for one of the very few times, Iโ€™m overjoyed to be an โ€˜only childโ€™. I lost my mother 24 years ago and miss her everyday but have never had to contend with abusive, maybe evil, siblings. Well done to you all for coming through the pain and emerging, hopefully, to a much brighter future. My love and thoughts are with you.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, V! You’re a lovely, compassionate woman. So
    happy to know you ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie
    xoxoxo

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Seconded Allie. Thank you Verano. Didn’t mean to open up so much lol.

Mary
    xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Itโ€™s good to open up sometimes Mary and I hope you feel better for it.

Same here Allie … itโ€™s great to have such support from a group of like minded people.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy Friday everyone!

I’m running a bit late so I will be back later today. I just wanted to say that I think you are all awesome and so grateful that I found you – I couldn’t do this WOE without you.

I got home last night to find an Avon (cosmetics) catalogue pushed through my letterbox. I think I may have to treat myself to a non foodie item! Ladies – what would you like? A nice nail polish perhaps? The Avon lady is collecting the book/orders tomorrow.

See you later, my dear friends
    Kazzzeeee xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Allie,
    Just wanted to quickly say I posted a reply to you but I’ve just looked and it isn’t there. I pressed submit so don’t know what’s happened ?!?. I’ve got to go out now (late as always) so will try again later.
    Marie x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Dear dear Mary, I was literally speechless after reading your post.
    (how often does THAT happen?) I needed some time to think about
    it. I’m not shocked to know family members abuse each other
    physically, psychologically, and emotionally in the privacy of their
    own homes, but what does amaze me is that you or anyone else
    for that matter, possessed the inner resources to know how to break the
    cycle when marrying and having children of your own. I find what
    you and Jovis have created is quite extraordinary in light of the
    kind of difficult childhood you both endured. Much respect
    for you, dear sister woman! And that comes from my heart (insert
    heart icon here).
    I was right about wednesday being “Noodle Day”! (that sounds
    odd, doesn’t it ? ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m quite happy that you will have this to look
    forward to each week. It seems your daughter is making progress
    on many different fronts at the moment. Wonderful!
    As usual, your instincts re the financial planner are spot on. I
    would be suspicious too…I wonder if his advice would have been
    different if he knew that your visit with him wasn’t to include
    further use of his services???

Have a great weekend, my sweet ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

nb – We love you too! xoxo

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Mary – I hope my rushed, early morning post this morning didn’t appear trite in any way as I didn’t respond to your post from yesterday.

I felt quite angry on your behalf when I read about your childhood/early adulthood. Meeting Jovis saved you, quite literally and thank heavens for him. And now after all the years together building the most solid of foundations, raising your family, it must be a very rewarding place to be in. Both of you are SO RICH to have each other. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Well, I am on leave next week and feeling far different to how I felt at the end of August when I had a week off. I was still bedding in with this WOE then. I’d only been doing it 2 weeks, and hadn’t even scratched the surface! I look back to my first post, around 15 August, and I really have come such a long way in 3 months! Not least, thanks to every single person on these forums… the marvelous support, tips and cheering on, willing me to succeed. I would say I am about a quarter of the way into my journey and am looking forward, forward, forward!

Now – the team and I are all going up to The Loft (that’s our restaurant name because it is on the top floor of our building – the 14th), which is quite high for this small city! – great views! It is, fish and chip Friday! I plan on having 2 boiled eggs and spinach – my usual. They are getting to know me now, the chefs and staff, although I think they are missing my visits and spending up there, sometimes twice per day! I’m saving around ยฃ30 per week! Think of me as I am surrounded by crispy twice cooked chips (fries) beer battered cod (all home made), peas, lemon wedge, tartar sauce… ๐Ÿ™‚

See you later!
    Kxxxxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazz, 30 lbs in savings per wk? Now, that’s what I call a NSV!
    Put me down for some nail enamel, by the way ๐Ÿ™‚

See you tomorrow!

Lots of love,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Julia, are you gearing up for some long hikes this weekend? I know
    that you’re very athletic, compared to me. Will that be with or without
    that refreshing glass of beer at the end??? One of the things that
    I loved about living out there in the early 70’s was that the weather
    was always the same (except for the rainy winters, when they
    existed). Every weekend we were either walking in the redwoods
    (I’ll never forget that smell!), out at Half Moon Bay, or packing a
    picnic of sourdough, cheese and a cracked dungenese crab to
    take to Napa. A few stops at the wineries, and we were ready to
    spread a blanket with friends on a quiet roadside and open a
    bottle of Cabernet. Feast fit for a king! Napa has become a
    foodie destination since then, however, and I probably wouldn’t
    recognize it today. When husband’s Army deployment ended,
    we drove back across the country with a case of Mondavi in the
    trunk, thinking we were going to save it for several years. I think
    it was gone in 6 months! I blame Cali for our lifetime habit ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a splendid weekend…

Love,

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello everyone and a very Happy Friday!

Thank you all so much for your love and support. I wasn’t aware that my life was so awful until I grew up. I thought everyone went through it. I was 16 when I went to school with blood pouring from my leg, after my father had thrown a bottle at me and it smashed against a wall. A teacher asked me if he ever hit me and I laughed and said “of course”. That was my first inkling that things were not right. You are all correct my Jovis saved me. I met him a month after my dad had died. I was confused and he straightened me out. However, I have always been blessed with good friends and had a particular boyfriend who helped me a lot, before I met Joe.

Anyway…everyone has a past, its best to leave it there. My bestest friend came to visit me today. We have know each other for 49 years. She is my sister in every sense of the word except blood. Like I say. I am a very lucky person.

Allie, I love your description of Napa etc. What a lovely memory. Yes Noodle Day does sound a little funny! Unfortunately, she is quite poorly with a cough and cold at the moment. She is on antibiotics and steam inhalations. My poor DD is looking after her and her husband (bit of a hypochondriac) who also had a cold.

Kazz, I don’t expect a reply to all my posts! Wow what a saving and what willpower to be so good. Make sure you enjoy your time off next week. You deserve it!

Apologies if I have forgotten you. By the way EC…Erin where are you?

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

on

Thanks Allie — good memory! Yes, I will probably be hiking this weekend because I had to come up to Tahoe to solve a thermostat problem in the house — it is really cold but the snow is high enough so I can hike (snow is currently above 8000 feet).
    Sadly though, my OH is in Ireland and my daughter who lives here and is a wonderful hiking companion is in Paris so it’s just me and the dudes (two enthusiastic but not so verbal dogs) so I’m not sure about the beer — i like beer drinking to be social!
    Mary, why do people behave like your family members? I cannot understand it but I think it is incredibly cool that your brother apologized so many years later.
    I think it is a testament to how mentally healthy you were (and are) that you chose wisely for your husband and created your own strong friendships.
    We can’t undo where we get born, but we can go on to create our own positive lives and that is a testament to the good work you did in life.
    Oh, and Allie, Dungeness crab season opens here in about one week!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!! I am the queen of crab and I can hardly wait. It is probably the best food on earth AND it is BSD-friendly!! How perfect is that scenario? We make home made mayonnaise to go with it and if I can just resist the sourdough bread, I will be fine. A little Chardonnay though…
    I hope the little one (Noodle) is feeling well soon.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Allie

Well, I’ve no idea what happened to my post this morning. I definitely pressed submit?!?

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for your kind and thoughtful response to my post. I’m glad you didn’t mind me jumping in. I did it because I found your post moving.
    I’m often moved by what people write on this thread. Of course, there’s also been times when I’ve read something and it’s just made me laugh out loud (but always in a good way!) As you say, it’s always fiercely honest which I think is something to be proud of.

Thanks for the tip, and yours Kazz, about the unsweetened Almond and Soy milk. I’m definitely going to try them. I happened to walk past Holland and Barrett yesterday (UK health food shop) and, bearing in mind what Mary had said about black tea, I bought myself some nettle tea. I remembered years ago a colleague at work having some which I’d quite liked. So, I’m going to try that and use the milk versions as an alternative. Moving forward…….

I’d love to pop on and say hi now and again to you all, thanks. Hope you all have a great weekend.
    Marie x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy weekend my sisters!

Thank you for your patience after my teaser on Thursday! This morning I weighed in at 16.12 lbs! I’m in the 16s!!!! Woohoo!! That is 3 lb off this week. 22 lbs lost in total. I will certainly continue with the 24 hour fasts, they are easy in comparison. However, any longer than that was quite hard but I will have another go, probably next week.

I’ve got a phone call with the doc booked in at 9.30 to discuss my recent test results – coeliac and liver function and then I’m off out to get my hair cut, so I will be back later.

Bye for now my lovelies.

Kazzeee xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazzi, if you hear a dull roar in your ears, those are my cheers from
    across the ocean! You are just going from strength to strength,
    dear heart, and I couldn’t be more proud of you if I tried. It’s 4:00am
    here, so imagine a crazy lady doing cartwheels and backflips in
    in her nightgown. How do you expect me to get back to sleep NOW?
    If I didn’t think O/H would wake up, I’d be yelling “YES!!!” at the moon.
    More later ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie
    xoxoxo

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello my lovelies..

Kazz you are amazing. So effing well done! Welcome to the 16 club. I am looking forward to reaching the 15 club too. Hopefully, before Christmas…fingers crossed. Join me? I hope the news from the Doctor was good?

Allie, the image you paint is startling. Please remember to put your drawers on before doing those cartwheels lol.

I have had a wonderful day. My DD brought my lovely grandies around. One went to bed and my lovely boy and I made Gingerbread People. While his mother went shopping. When they were cooking we watched “Polar Express.” He loved it. Then when they were cool, we painted faces and buttons etc. Considering he is only 3 he did amazingly well. He also enjoyed eating two smaller members of the gingerbread family, plus hundreds and thousands (sprinkles) and silver balls which we used as eyes. As we were watching the rest of the film. He sat on my lap….ON MY LAP…not on top of the huge belly that used to be there! He was able to lean back and rest his head on my shoulder! I whispered in his ear “I hope you will remember this when you are older.” It was a magical moment for me. When his mother was his age, I didn’t think I could ever love anyone the way I loved her. Now I love all my grandies and my daughters. I am so, so, lucky! I wish I could bottle my happiness and send it to everyone in the world.

Today, being Saturday, I get to watch my dancing programme and have a drink. First I am going to have a lovely hot shower. Thank you all for being here and supporting me and everyone. We are such a family!

All my love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Thank you so much Allie. Your post about doing cartwheels at 4am in your nightgown really made me laugh. The picture of scrooge in a christmas carol came to mind – the bit where he’s jumping for glee around his bedchamber! ๐Ÿ™‚

The doc confirmed coeliac negative – good news! But there could possibly be a borderline sensitivity perhaps. Liver function test normal, but the inflammatory marker still slightly raised. When I mentioned Mary’s comment about psoriasis perhaps, she said, oh yes, that could well be why. She asked about my bathroom habits and I confirmed no more bloat, wind, gurgling and only one visit per day and non dia but quite soft (sorry)! Anyway she said even a sore throat or a cold could show up an inflammatory result so … nothing to worry about although she wants me to have another test in a couple of weeks to see if it has come down now my psoriasis has stopped flaring so much. She also mentioned that I should keep an eye on stuff and if I should see blood, then to go back straight away! Scare me why don’t you! I guess with these IBS type symptoms, the dreaded C is always lurking at the back of your mind! Overall she was delighted to hear of my weight loss and this BSD lifestyle change and told me to keep up the good work!

I then went and got my hair cut into a cute short bob style. My hairdresser, Sue, said with your much slimmer face Kaz, it really suits you! Yey, NSV!! If only I could achieve the same volume that they do at the hairdressers but I shall try using one of those combination hair dryer, round brush contraptions!

It’s all good and tonight I am going to treat myself to a couple of vodkas, lime and soda whilst watching Strictly come dancing. Mary – can you believe that Aston went out last week?! I’m also having a lean pork chop, smothered in mustard and baked with cauliflower and steamed green beans and a bit of gravy! Yum yum

Wishing you all a relaxing weekend where ever you are my wonderful friends, and thank you all for your support and delight and routing me on. Who needs a slimming club?!

Lots of love
    Kazzzeeeegettingslimmer! xxxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.