New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

I didn’t even lose one ounce of one arsing pound yesterday despite my Nordic adventure so I busted ass over to the morning Stretch and Strength class at the community centre…..which didn’t start well. Now, about six months ago I had a vague inclination that I should ‘get fit’ and joined a Slim and Be Trim class with a girlfriend at the local centre. She was trying to slim down before her son’s wedding and managed to knock off a good few pounds, but I didn’t have any particular motive to lose weight. In truth, I would typically hit the pub en route home from class for a pint (4) and a pie….and fries. In fairness, the staff at the community centre were wonderful and so helpful in every way but my heart wasn’t in it.

Returning today, after my first class last week, didn’t really refresh my determination to continue. I swear I’m a skinny bitch magnet. You know how when you’re pregnant the personal space barrier disappears and people you don’t even know touch your belly. Well, being the old fat broad at the gym has the same effect. I wasn’t at the gym more than two minutes when this tiny toned stick person ran up, threw her arms around me, dropped her head on my left knocker and hugged me for all she was worth while squealing “LIIIIIIIIIZZIIIIIIIIIEEEEE, WE’VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH.” She could have stopped there but went on…..”YOU ARE LIKE THE PERFECT VERTICAL BED—ALL I NEED IS A BLANKIE,” she shrieked with delight as she plastered her 5’1” frame against my generous 6’ wall of flesh. The assault continued as she poked my belly and right tit like she was plumping a f*cking down pillow before turning in for the night. Inside voice was screaming ‘UNHAND ME YOU IRRITATING STICK CREATURE” but managed a less than enthusiastic pat on the head, like the kind you give your friend’s ugly baby with a shitty diaper, and managed a weak ‘missed you too.’ I suppose my statuesque frame is a comforting mass for a stick creature with the body fat of a locust so I can’t really hate her….yet; but the bed comment and the use of the term ‘blankie’ deserved a punch in the throat. She’s at least 25 for @%#&sake, why is she using the vocabulary of a six year old; irritating.

Doubling my determination to exercise self-restraint (if nothing else), I soldiered on down the corridor and completed another Stretch and Strength class. What really gets me though is that, for the most part, the class is made up of midget titted yummy mummies who have just dropped the kids at school and then there’s me. We’re all decked out in the requisite black lycra leggings and sports tanks (mine with the integrated knocker armour) but they all look like athletic wear models and then there’s me thundering along to the music at the back of the class looking like a turbo dyke. It’s not fair. On the plus side, Miss Sizzle Tits wasn’t there trying to pass off her fake frame as real. That would have put me over the edge.

Okay, maybe I’m in a bit of a mood but it will pass as will the fat. It can’t not on 800 calories a day!! I had a sensible breakfast and am making low carb/calorie bacon/artichoke soup. Kev is working 9am-9pm which screws up normal dinner hours so soup and salads will be our go to for the next four days.

Success to you all today! If you catch yourself thinking “I can’t do this” stop and realize YOU ARE DOING THIS!!! You only fail when you quit trying.

Futonly yours,
    Lizzie the Mattress

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Liz, everyone needs a duvet day once a while tee hee!!!

Not a good day for me either. I’ve been iinterviewing all day, while the doctor was frantically trying to get hold of me to send me to a&e! Apparently I have an acute electrolyte imbalance. Very low potassium and sodium. They want me to wait for the results and then see what the hospital plan is after that. I’m hoping that it’s a simple case of fluid overload but I’m not so sure….😱

As sole carer for my father I’ve made the decision to present myself tomorrow after I’ve had time to sort his medication for a few days, pack a bag and charge the kindle!!

I have made the executive decision to take myself off BSD tonight and endeavour to have potassium and sodium high foods as well as oral hydration salts. I won’t tell you what, so I can’t be accused of inducing cravings for you all 😜

Shame as my fasting bs was the best ever this morning at 6.7! Plus I’ve never felt so well or slept better. Go figure….

Wish me luck 🤢🤕☹️

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Oh Lee, What a basket of road apples but I’m sure they’ll get it sorted quickly. On the plus side the house is clean and the laundry is done!
    Keep us posted and know that you are in my thoughts.
    Yours,,
    Liz

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi Cadaliz, I feel your pain re the skinny bitches. It’s been my fate to work with a series of them. They eat like horses then fold themselves up on their office chairs with crossed legs etc to work on the computer because there is nothing in the way (tummy/tits).

So, I have a theory. We are there to redress the balance. The more skinny bitches there are the bigger we need to be. As you lose, someone else will turn up to help with the balance, or better still those SBs will bloat uncontrollably!

Another theory is that there is X amount of weight in the world. As we delete the weight from our bodies it has to go somewhere else, again redressing the balance.

So know that as a larger lady you are an essential part of the world and doing a necessary job. I do love the stories.

Stay well, hang loose and hang in there!

Hugs, Crabbycams

• posted by EC
    on

Goodness….miss a day and I have a novel to catch up on!!!
    what a marvellous mob!!

Iain while I think I know what you’re getting at re the issues with drinking and the demons it may be suppressing, I agree with both Liz and Enesca that its all part and parcel of the whole picture and that the support of this group is a pretty good form of therapy (as long as we accept its limitations if we do need more!)…that said on day three of BSD I was fuming all day and night for no obvious reason…this too has passed…

I’m currently interstate at one of my sons’ house helping with 1yo and mum returning to work and for the first time I’ve just said to them all….”I’m on a very low calorie diet and I want to stick to it” so said no thanks to snacks, homemade bread and wine!!!! (my mother would have said “your halo will slip and choke you!”)

I’ve had three pretty good days…getting faster with working out calories and options and have come up with a few alternatives to my twelve ways with vegetable soups!! The other night we had 2 grilled slices smoked tofu with baked beetroot (with garlic and walnuts) suateed beetroot tops with cinnamon and lemon and steamed broccoli!!…and I’ve discovered that if you add a tablespoon of tahini to miso and vegetable soup (when you soften the miso paste) it makes for a satisfying nutty flavour and still comes in under 200 cals

AND, Liz…daughter in law has your coconut and almond milk…I was worries as I usually have soy…but its delicious and very low cals….the test will be to try in my coffee in the morning

….and to the Scots and Canadians….I spent some time working with a lovely young Cape Breton Island fiddler (Scots descent of course) who charmingly, yet somehow disconcertingly (as he’s half my age) kept addressing me “m’dear”!

…night all

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Lee
    Hope all goes well – keep us posted
    My thoughts are with you too

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Liz
    I too am having a slow down or more accurately a stop in weight loss.
    In the past I have used this as as an excuse to go off and eat my own weight in fish and chips strangely today I dont! I LOVE fish and chips but perhaps I should say I USED to love fish and chips. (These are British chips so probably more like home fries – not crisps!)
    In the past when I walked past the local chippie I would slaver like a rabid dog, now I can walk past with out the embarrasing pools of slobber. Dont get me wrong I still like the idea of them but its not as alluring as it once was.
    Obviously this WOE is working.!
    I feel thinner and my clothes feel looser so I will wait for the whoosh effect .

A very close friend had the great news last Friday that the lump she found in her breast is not cancerous. Went round to celebrate with her on Saturday and the one glass of Prosecco turned into four.
    That was three more than I meant to but at least half of what I would have had in the past!
    Baby steps baby steps
    As I dont have the fantastic will power of Liz I have decided to drink weak gin and tonic
    60 mls of gin in a litre of diet tonic this week (thats just over a pub measure)
    Next week 40 mls then it should be so weak I wont notice whether its there or not!

• posted by Vix26
    on

Well…what can I say other than I don’t think I’ve laughed this hard in a long time…Canadaliz you are brutally funny and brutally honest and I love it!! You are all a real inspiration.
    Anyway, to introduce myself just very briefly at this point, my name is Vicki, I’m from the UK, have been fat most of my life and currently the fastest I’ve ever been. I also have T2 along with high BP and raised cholesterol…and have far too much of a reliance on alcohol. I need to find me and my life again…regain control…I’ve tried so many diets etc but to no long lasting avail but the BSD actually makes sense but even more importantly, the support and understanding even in just this little group seems like the lifeline I need.
    I really hope that you are willing to accept another into your fold…I’m no great wit, and can be quiet at times but I will always be supportive x

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Despite not feeling very well and having my bicycle stolen 3 weeks ago I wasn’t going to miss Brighton’s ‘11th Naked Bike Ride’ last Sunday afternoon. I borrowed my neighbour’s bicycle and this, when you consider it, isn’t the easiest conversation to have 😊 Actually, he was fine about it; though I have add that he keeps a pet pig! Yeah really, a pet pig named Louie living in a small 2nd floor flat and possessing something of an aversion to stair climbing – and no light weight any longer either.
    Fortunately the weather was a somewhat better improved over last year’s Brighton ride which was somewhat chilly and very overcast. Consequently the attendance was up from the, as I recall, 700-ish of 2016 and nearer 1000 riders this year, maybe more. Basically, a fun 3 hours and generally huge encouragment from the locals and visitors with just the occasional scowling matrons holding their palms over their, presumably, grandchildren’s eyes.
    I do appreciate that the world ‘naked’ alone will send shivers through many of your unreconstructed prejudices. There are simply too many prejudicial comments regarding other women, by women, for this not to be so. It is therefore not unreasonable of you. I get it! Last year I invited a close woman friend, in fact several, to join me. One, a self-styled artist, and perfectly willing to hang totally naked self-portraits in local public exhibitions, proved utterly appalled by the notion. I have now informed her that she’s been labelled, by me, a Photoshop Feminist – she laughed and promptly left her husband – I have no idea what one had to do with the other, if any?
    ‘Nakedness’, let’s include public nakedness rather, is simply one of the most liberating, insightful and freeing experiences I’ve ever discovered. I, of course, have no hang-ups in this area ‘any longer’ – I got over these, many years ago now.
    The percentage breakdown for all the naked rides I’ve done is roughly 65%/35% male/female. The age average overall age, at a guess, 16/75 years (there are usually slightly older children too, with parents). On Sunday, I was probably one of the more senior males, at 68. Fewer of the women opt for total nakedness generally. My observations tend to demonstrate (to me) that, most often, the larger, older women tend to be naked, naked. Of the male cohort I would guessimate that 85+% are naked, naked. Nakedness is by no means mandatory.
    Largely, I mention this weekend excursion because some personal responses to my earlier posts have (perhaps) seemed to imply that I’m a person beset, perhaps rather dour? I suppose that, were it true, would understandable. I commented upon some unpleasant aspects of my life and therefore it would be easy for the reader to concatinate these and see them as a single view rather than life perspective. Certainly I have a perspective telling me that ‘life is not a God damn laugh riot!’ – and anyone suggesting otherwise is off their trolley. Mostly, I actually find life extremely amusing and well worth the effort.
    However, I am going to add a few observations – YES again 😊
    I perceived a general disagreement with ‘aspects’ of my earlier forum posts and perhaps these were occasioned by a semantic misunderstanding i.e. the meaning of the word ‘alcoholic’ and my presumption that this refers to an active appreciation of participants acknowledging their ‘alcoholism’. Let’s not go there; whatever gets people talking about such an issue in their lives is 100% valid – and I will never equivocate about that.
    I am also very aware that I’m a part of a cohort of ‘mostly, if not all, successful (?) women’. So ‘girls’ what dangerous waters am I in? You’ve probably had a lifetime of listening to men pontificating; even your male, gay friends – while the gay women..?
    So, my point? I retreat now. I’ve made my argument which essentially are, ‘that dieting offers no salvation to an alcoholic’. ‘That being 30/40/50 Kgs above your own Photoshoped idea of yourself has nothing whatsoever to do with your urgent desire to consume a litre of Gin per day, for, if alcoholism is about anything it most cetainly isn’t about diets and/or blood sugar levels’.
    By the way. Michael Mosley did a recent BBC programme concerning ‘Blood’, mostly his own. For non-UK residents I guess that this isn’t available. Yes, science is offering us new ideas and Michael presents quite well – though I do wish he’d clean his fingernails before offering blood samples. See, we’re all prejudiced by the strangest things.
    Hugs, and fulsome wishes for every success to everyone here. Iain.

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

[post removed]

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

At the risk of being rude: get lost Iain Holland — your ugly posts are disgusting. They do not fit in with the spirit or the letter of these posts. They are game-playing and that is not what we do here. You are baiting one of our posting “family”. Stop it.

• posted by Inka13
    on

I second you Californiagirl, there is so much love and support on our forums that this attitude is disturbing and distasteful.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    I second that Californiagirl.
    Iain just because we don’t agree with you does not give you the right to behave like this.
    There are other forums available though you need to rethink your attitude
    Grow up

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Canadaliz
    I just wanted to tell you how much I love your posts. I only discovered it last night and didn’t go to bed till the wee small hours reading them from scratch, laughing out loud and,it has to be said (possiblyTMI -I’ll take the risk!), I did have a little accident-hahaha!

Losing weight can be hard, feel impossible at times and you putting a lighthearted spin on it is more than welcome. Many of us have spent a lifetime finding life difficult due to our battles in trying to be more healthy with a lack of understanding from those who have no idea how hard it can be.

I just wanted to show my support for you and I know that it won’t be long before we are celebrating your successes when you reach your goals – and obviously celebrating your successes on the road getting there!

Keep us laughing, girl! My journey seems so much easier reading your posts – keep ’em coming!

on

Hey Liz! I hope you are well! I know many “posters” are missing you! Your funny ways are a tonic to many! Take care.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Hi Canadaliz, Missing your posts and hoping you are well. I and probably others had an extremely offensive post removed. Hopefully non of us will be derailed by an offensive post from a troll.

• posted by Pancita
    on

Sending love and support to all the wonderful posters on this thread. Missing you already!
    P xx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Family, I’m here. It’s been a shitball couple of days. Long and the short of it is my Kev was working 9am-9pm, came home looking like shit, he didn’t feel like eating, we went straight to bed, I felt something was wrong, checked on him,, he was sweaty, non-responsive, called the ambulance, got to the hospital, they put the paddles on him, shocked him and apparently his heart was performing like a bowl of jelly–Afib. They have kept him overnight and I’ll head back tomorrow.
    Most important….I DIDN’T DRINK. I DIDN’T F*CKING DRINK.
    Did I want a drink or think about it?–yes. But what has drink ever done for me? I am on a passage of success. Stressed as fuck I can still manage without booze.
    Mary Tyler Moore was an out of control alcoholic during the shows we love, but after losing her Mum (alcoholic), her father (alcoholic/pancreatic cancer), her sister (OD drugs/alcohol) and her only son (alcoholic/drug abuse) she finally said “I can do better.” And she stayed sober for near 40 years.
    I can’t imagine what she would have said to a sad creature like Iain but my thought is “TOMORROW IS MY DAY ON MY TERMS.”
    Mary Tyler Moore was a lady–me….not so much.
    Iain, I’ll listen when the dark days strike but please do not shade my friends with your notions of failure; but mostly don’t be a dick.

One last thing. Apparently when you get paddled (shocked) there is a potential to pee/shit yourself. So this young nurse comes in with like maybe 7″ of tubing and asks Kev if he wants a catheter. He says “you’ll need more tubing.” That’s my Kev.

He actually meant it,
    Yours,
    Lizzie how big??!!

• posted by Pancita
    on

Love 8″-Kev’s humour, even from the hospital bed, wishing him a speedy recovery xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Liz, you really are an inspiration to everyone on here. I know what it is like to have your OH be poorly in that way. Keep the faith and carry on the way you are. Hope Kev has a speedy recovery. xxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Sorry to hear about Kev and hope he gets well soon

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Dear Canadaliz, so sorry to hear of Kev’s illness. However, while that sense of humour lives so will he. Such a giggle, although from my very brief time nursing it was very much ‘seen one seen ’em all’! And the old blokes would fiddle with them!

So well done you for winning through the stress. A major accomplishment. I hope you allowed yourself a little reward such as as a no carb, no sugar something. Don’t know what would float your boat right now reward-wise.

Stay well, plan your food for the hospital visits so that the canteen or vending machines lure you into their orbit, and perhaps get Kev onto the diet as well!

All the best.

Crabbycams

on

One of my favorite jokes: hold your hand up with your thumb and index finger about five inches apart (like you are measuring something) — now, why are women so bad at estimating sizes? Because they’ve always been told this is 8 inches.
    😜😜(get better fast Kev — my Roo had A-fib ablation surgery which worked after second go-round)

• posted by Newleafat56
    on

Hi
    I haven’t posted much with you before, but have been following the thread. Just wanted to say that after a morning when Canadaliz didn’t post I realised I was missing my fix! You guys are all very funny and supportive – lovely to see a real community growing.
    I’m still struggling with the booze (and type 2), but starting the BS formal 12 week diet on Monday. Anyone else trying that?
    Sending get well wishes to Kev and kind thoughts to anyone who needs them. I guess that would be all of us…

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Mary Tyler Moore had diabetes (T1, in her case) too, and she was a fierce advocate for research back when nobody else was talking about it. She was a great woman and a great role model in many ways.

Huge slaps on the back for you, Canadaliz, for not letting the stress drive you to the bottle. You are confronting everything face-to-face, on your own terms, as you say, and Kev can only benefit from your clearheadedness and unwavering support.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Oh haha Canadaliz – only you can talk about serious goings on and still make me laugh – ‘bowl of jelly’ – describes AFib perfectly. Hopefully ‘my Kev’ will make a speedy recovery. Love the way you call him that. Pat on the back ,my girl, for not letting stress get the better of you!

Your popularity is exploding – too right! As you say at the start of your post – family – yes we are! Can’t wait for book to be published! I’ll be pre-ordering!

All love and best wishes
    From
    Stilldumpty (I’m afraid – sigh!)

• posted by alexisastral
    on

Hello. I’m new to the diet and this forum. Also a tall, overweight alcoholic so can I be in your gang, please? I’ve loved reading this thread and found it so inspiring. Thank you all so much for these posts, you’ve all been really helpful and Candaliz you are a superstar!!! Thank you!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

CanadaLiz sending huge hugs from Edinburgh to you and Kev. Truly inspirational and truly entertaining – my hat is off to you both. What amazing folk we ‘meet’ on here.

• posted by EC
    on

back online after a few days in babyland…..and again missed a veritable novel amongst you all

Missed whatever the trolling was (good thing I’m sure!)

Liz, Kev is so lucky that you were clear of mind and on the ball!! ….another plus for sans alcohol thinking. Wishing him a speedy recovery and you not too much carer stress

goodnight (in Aus) to all and look forward to seeing what the morning brings!!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Today is my first time of reading this thread and found it hard to put down. Had to leave a couple of times for good reason but rushed back asap. I’ve been in awe of the way you are each facing your struggles.

Canadaliz, your inner strength is impressive, especially well demonstrated when you refused to submit to your familiar and longstanding demon at a time of intense stress. I’m sorry if that sounds too dramatic but I feel you won a great battle when you didn’t have a drink after leaving Kev in hospital. More power to your arm Liz, and I wish you both the very best of good health xx Marilyn

• posted by KatrenaJ
    on

Joining ur group. Went on BSD twice and lost then sabotaged self,. 71 years old, need to lose for health and vanity. U R all inspiring
    Katrena

• posted by EC
    on

welcome Katrena
    What I’m finding with the support of the forum family is that two weeks in, even if I slip up, I just get straight back on board. Wine is still my go-to vice, but I’m having more alcohol free days than in years, and when I do give in I’m likely to want less!
    AS I type, I’m about to brave the Tasmanian winter and walk the bored collie!

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Friends–I’m back and stronger than ever!
    I apologize for my absence but my Kev, ever one for attention, has a heart that has refused to stay in normal rhythm so they’ve kept him in the hospital over the weekend to be safe. So here I am, empty house, with a blind, deaf, idiot but loveable dog plastered up beside me and the house besieged with ghosts and serial killers–obviously.
    Anyway, when Kev was in the cardiac lab having fuck knows what done to him, I got to thinking how pedestrian our sex life has become. I know–how superficial. But I really thought how much better it could be and mostly how the decline has been rooted in how I feel about me. I’ll be 54 in July and can’t remember the last time I put on something saucy. When we met I used to wear all manner of skimps but now it’s all about the Big Mommas. Wherein I used to purchase my delicates at foo foo shops, I now defer the care and wrapping of my 50″ lady caboose to Costco…..size 8 (they don’t do bigger). Fuck me….I can’t believe I just admitted that. Truthfully, you could string a pair of my lady “briefs” up the mast of a felucca on the Nile and rally Moses’ parting of the Red Sea!!

Back in the day I actually found thongs rather comfortable—even practical. Rather than bunching up between my southern hills like regular Fruit of the Looms, thongs lay a track up my back road and stay the course for the duration of the trip with no excessive lane changing. Truthfully, the thongs of my yesteryear collection complemented a tushie of which I was rather proud.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a place for plain white waist huggers; or as my beloved calls them: Nun uglies. I bust mine out to signal the onset of my monthly–yes, I’m approaching 54 and I still get my lady bleed—oh how fab…… Donning my big whites is like waving a warning flag that cries “One step closer and you fucking die.” I suppose really they should be in a more menacing colour, black or maybe black and yellow stripped like a venomous insect but I’ve always gone for hospital/clinical white and my Kev knows to stay away. Okay, truth be told, sometimes I wrap my entertainment section in a yard and a half of white cotton jersey because I just can’t be bothered to accommodate his inclination….as impressive as it might be, and want to sleep without the three minutes of, okay, five minutes of effort; okay, six minutes if you include foreplay.

But surrendering your junk trunk to big bum covers doesn’t have to be all bad. Oh sure, 25 years ago I could wrap my small package in even smaller lace and elastic combos and look fab but hey!…big gifts take more wrapping paper but are still fun to open.
    No matter how worn and tired your structure might seem, it’s never too late for it to benefit from a little renovation– bit of makeup, a spray of perfume. It doesn’t matter what your age—hit the local sexy shop and unleash your flirty floosie! As for me, still being beyond the scope of the local sex parlour’s range of lady crack decoration, I hit the plus women dept at Walmart en route home from the hospital and picked up a garish turquoise, pink and white number that should get my Kev’s inclination peaked.

On a diet note, I’m down 16.2 lbs in 3 weeks and feeling frigging fab!!–except for Kev and his “OMG look at me having a near death experience” thing….that knocked the stuffing out of me.

I’m still mulling Iain’s statement about how he doubted the possibility of my success. His sad notion didn’t for one minute set me back save for thinking what a sad pathetic nasty piece of work he must be. What rang loud and clear when I read his bullshit was “FUCK YOU YOU SAD ASS, WHAT’S IMPORTANT IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK MY POTENTIAL IS BUT WHAT I BELIEVE IT IS.” Friends, I’ve been through hell and back the last few days what with watching them take the paddles to Kev to restart his heart etc. and sure, it might seem trivial thinking about my sex life. But he’s the only one I share my pink lady palace with. I realized while waiting for news in that shitty ugly corridor with the speckled floor and snot green walls that, if I could have him back for just a bit longer, I could reawaken the sexpot perv that still lives within my aging frame and that would be a good thing. Most important though, I rode out the scare, I rode out the uncertain and the stress……sober. I can’t say there weren’t times I thought “fuck this I need a drink” but I stayed connected to life. I rode out the experience stone—cold—sober. As for food, the hospital cafe wasn’t very accommodating, and the Head of Catering, (bless his little Filipino soul and less than adequate English skills), has assured me he will be making modifications after I brought to his attention the lack of options for a diet controlled diabetic.

Friends, take time to cuddle.

Nakedly yours and proud,

Liz xo

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

I am truly and deeply, deeply sorry that I offended Canadaliz and many other contributors so much – and unreservedly apologise.

Iain Holland

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Canada Liz, you are a complete breath of fresh air. You discuss so-called delicate areas with such abandon and flourish that you have us all laughing out loud whilst nodding sagaciously about shared experiences.
    Good to hear that ‘Our Kev’ is on the mend. What a great result for you too – blooming marvellous. You are truly inspiring.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Iain, That’s very big of you. I hope it is all put to rest.
    So tell me, how is the blood sugar diet going?
    Bigeater

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

I have a waist!!!!!
    My neighbour’s lovely Polish cleaning lady is in and we always have a chat in the garden. I was out the back sweeping all of those frigging bead things that come down from the trees in the spring and she wandered over and propped her enormous lady cans on the fence and announced–“LEEZ (she always shouts), YOU NO LOOK LIKE EGGPLANT ANYMORE!! YOU HAVE ALMOST WAIST!! (then sizing me up) YOU HAVE NICE UP HERE (patting her ample jugglies) AND YOU HAVE SOME MUCH NICE HERE (slapping her own ass with vigour) BUT NOW YOU NO LOOK LIKE EGGPLANT! (well thank fuck for that.) I HAVE OTHER CLIENT WHO LOSE MUCH FAT AND NOW IS SMALLER BUT WITH BIG BUM LIKE EGGPLANT (aubergine for my UK/Auzzie pals). YOU IS BEFORE MORE LIKE STRAIGHT…HOW YOU SAY…ENGLEESH ONION? (I offer “leek’?) YES, IS LEEK. YOU IS LIKE TALL THICK ENGLEESH LEEK ONION BUT NOW MAYBE LEETTLE BIT WAIST. ONE DAY LOSE MORE BIG FAT AND LOOK LIKE SPAGHETTI…..HMMM….MAYBE NO SPAGHETTI…MAYBE RIGATONI.
    She truly is lovely and, upon hearing of Kev’s trial, crossed herself, kissed her medallion then announced: “I MAKE SOUP! I HAVE OTHER CLIENT TWO AWAY STREET TUESDAY. I BRING THEN. WILL FIX HIM GOOD. CHICKEN, POTATO, ONION, CABBAGE, CARROT, SPICE. I MAKE. HE BEEZ OKAY.”
    Must remember to tell the cardiologist on Monday that we have it all in hand as Kev is going to fart his way back to a normal heart rhythm and will be needing no further intervention. I went back to sweeping and concluded that the wonderful Irina learned her somewhat limited English somewhere between the fruit and veg aisle and the dried pasta section in the grocery store. Curiously, aspiring to the shape of a piece of pasta and secure in the knowledge that I no longer look like an eggplant has proved inspiring.

The nurse called and says I can pick Kev up about 3pm. I’ve planned a fabulous low carb dinner for two and will set out candles etc. in my new determination to take a more “saddle up cowboy” approach to sex over my recent “if you must” attitude. Though I may keep the Walmart sexy number until we get the all clear.
    Yours,
    Lizzie the Leek

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Thanks Bigeater.

I visited my GP last Monday and mentioned the BSD. ‘Of course’, he commented, ‘let me know how it goes?’ I always do my BIG shop on Monday. So started BSD on Tuesday as a ‘no time like the present’ step. Somewhat to my surprise, and fingers crossed, so far I’ve found it incredibly easy and lost 3Kgs. I guess the biggest change is that I now eat breakfast, something I almost never do unless flying long haul somewhere – and then, who knows what meal it is? I used CanadaLiz’s sliced beef tomatoes with 2 small poached eggs, a bit of ham and slice of cheese for two breakfasts, Tuesday & Wednesday – just up my street and happily filled for the day.

The only real fly in the ointment, and therefore the ‘no time like the present’ thing, is that every year since my mother’s partner died I always take her for a weeks holiday for her birthday – 25th June! This year we were heading for friends of mine, near Florence. However, I’d had to rethink that as June, my mother, turns 90 this year and as much as she enjoys our jaunts, I came to the conclusion that perhaps flying wasn’t a good idea. June was diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer’s almost 2 years ago and watching this slow progress… enough said. Fact is, she’s still independent without much intervention. Anyway, I’m now taking her for a week on the Shanklin, on the Isle of Wight – geographically, only a spit away really and no problem whatsoever should health things arise – they never have, but? Word of warning for anyone else facing this problem i.e. demented parent: never take a parents driving licence away without an armed guard and deep pockets 🙂

I’ve just, today, been informed by my partner that he can’t join us either. Chuck works mostly in Sweden and can’t get that week off.

I would appreciate some further breakfast ideas. This morning my ‘hollandaise’, largely comprising Greek yoghurt, was a tad lacklustre! Thank you again for asking. Can I conclude from the tone of your message Bigeater that you’re ‘pussy-footing’ around the idea of BSD? All I can add to your thoughts is ‘it feels fine (today) for me’.

Iain.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Iain,

3 kgs is good going!

No Iain I have been on the BSD since end of January. Have lost about 20kg, 12 of which was in the first 8 weeks. I have had a lot of trouble doing a second round of 800 calories despite several attempts.

Here’s a breakfast idea – make some besan flour pancakes = scroll down the recipe section – not too far down. Makes several, they keep for several days or may be frozen. If the batch makes 8, they are about 100 cals 8 carbs each. Spread with avocado or peanut butter.!

You don’t have to eat breakfast – only if you want to!

Bigeater

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Oh WOW, your very mention of the ingredient ‘Peanut Butter’ for breakfast makes my heart melt. My home is most certainly a PB free zone. I don’t have a particular ‘sweet tooth’, mine is that 5th taste sensation. Pate! I have a friend living in ‘the Lot’ area of France, the foie gras region. 2 Kms away from his home is a restaurant named after some Pharaoh; ‘foie gras’ was a divine food of the ancient Egyptians. OK, PB is very poor replacement (and cheaper too :-)), but that subtle feeling on the tongue. Dribbling’s from a Rat’s bottom would probably be better for me.

• posted by bigeater
    on

I buy peanut butter that is crushed, crunchy, no added sugar, from the health food store. Nothing wrong with pate – apart from the animal cruelty

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

The problem, for me, isn’t peanut butter, I love it. However, I can eat it by the jar with a spoon – and usually do 🙂 It’s just not something I can have in my kitchen 🙁 Similarly, Pate isn’t reserved for an occasional smear on a piece of toast (yum), I can consume it by the Kg. Oh, if only I could discover the ‘Peanut butter and Pate Diet’, the PPD, what heaven.

Meanwhile, using the BSD, lost a further 0.8 Kg. Really, I can’t quite believe? Iain

• posted by EC
    on

Congratulations Canadaliz on your re-emerging waist and your change of vegetable status!!
    In my house its not flora but fauna as OH said to me yesterday…”you’ve lost your chipmunk cheeks!!”…we don’t even have chipmunks in Aus…but happy for the backhanded compliment….wonder what I’m morphing into?…

Bigeater and Iain, I have a great recipe for a mushroom and almond pate, which as mushrooms are much lower in calories and carbs is a good substitute (esp as a vegetarian, I don’t eat foie gras!)…and it’s delicious I promise, but does require a pretty robust food processor or blender
    Almond Pate
    Ingredients:
    1 Tbsp olive oil (or cooking fat of your choice)
    1 medium-small onion (~0.4lb)
    3/4lb brown mushrooms
    4 cloves garlic
    1 C roasted almonds
    pinch of salt (to taste)
    ground black pepper (to taste)
    optional:
    balsamic vinegar
    herbs (thyme is good)
    Saute the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in the oil until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are soft and have given off some water (medium high, ~5-10 min; start with the onions, then add garlic, then mushrooms ). Pour sauteed mix into power blender along with the rest of the ingredients and start low then blend on high until it’s smooth. It keeps for about a week in the fridge.

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Oh, thank you, thank you for pate recipe – I do have all ingredients in stock too. I believe there’s a lot I can learn from vegetarians. We have a long established vegetarian restaurant in Brighton, Food For Friends. I have eaten there many times and the food is excellent, but I’ve always felt surprised! My internal prejudices working 🙂 Iain

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Vix26–Hello! I am so sorry for my delay in welcoming you to the fold but my drama queen husband had a bit of a cardiac thing and we’ve been form appointment to appointment. But Welcome!!!! We are all on a journey of investment in ourselves and how fabulous is that!! Cheers, Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey DNM, Rock on! It sure ain’t easy but we’re doing it together. Booze is my nemesis…..and cheese,….and all things savoury. But hey, it boils down to choice. I’ve had a few scary days with my Kev but it’s onwards and upwards now. Life can be a bastard with the obstacles
    it puts our way but for not you are on the
    Cheers >iz

• posted by AngelaM
    on

Morning All
    Just catching up on all the posts…..it’s been quite a week. Liz…you sound like you’re bearing up, despite Kev’s hospital admission. Life events/shocks make us all re-evaluate what we’re doing…well done you for not having a drink.
    One week in, 3lbs down and 3 non drinking nights. I’ve been playing at…but today is another day. Welcome to all the newbies….I can identify with all the posts and the contributors…truly inspirational stuff.
    This is the week….I will beat the booze…
    Determinedly yours….Scottish Angela x

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi All,
    I began again yesterday, and fell last night. A bottle and a half of wine, which went down so well…..I know I have a problem, and I really, really want to succeed. So, if any of you have any advice please relay it to me. I don’t have a problem with food and can easily live on 800 calories. My lovely hubby has often bemoaned the fact I don’t eat a lot, and I reply I get my calories from booze.

I have prepared meals from the Recipe Book, and am living on salads as I can’t face anything else in this heat. Also, the heat makes me not want to move. I really hate being hot and sweaty….another reason why I don’t get enough exercise.

Anyway, enough moaning… I am back on track now, and determined not to drink tonight. Fingers crossed for me? Cheers

Boozy Nonna

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

BWAHAHAHAHA I usually post here in bed….fell asleep last night, literally at the keyboard, and my Kev took my computer from my belly. He posted submit. I like the sign off–didn’t even know I had that pointy triangle sign! Anyway, more importantly, yesterday, I took my morning fasting sugar and I was 3.1. I felt shaky, heart was racing, felt like my head was full of pudding. Kev is a paramedic and said eat some grapes or honey. Had 8 grapes and within 15 mins was fine but why didn’t my body adjust to keep me in a normal range? Anyone else having lows? My dinner the night before was 100g of beef, 8 spears of asparagus, tomato/onion/cucumber with vinegar, tea with milk. Then 13 hours no food just because we had a little sleep in.
    Near Dead Lizzie

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi Alexis!
    Welcome! Hey, if you are my height–5’11” we represent just 1/16th of 1% of all women in North America! But despite our rarity we have one other thing in common…..booze. I am finding that the BSD is helping my relationship with booze in that it makes me feel like I am investing in myself by addressing my blood sugar level and truthfully, I”m never hungry and already feel 10 years younger. My tea consumption has doubled but no booze. You can see I’ve had a rough time with Kev but haven’t once turned to the bottle. I love love love waking up clear headed and full of energy. I’m almost addicted to feeling fab! I”m down 16 lbs and after only 3 weeks tomorrow! What’s not to love!
    Btw, as you’re tall, I’m sure you already shop at LTS but Victoria Secret does great yoga pants (even in XXL) with a 36″ inseam. 🙂
    Yours, Liz

Please log in or register to post a reply.