New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi EC!
    Welcome aboard. We’re all on this journey together and I say the more the merrier. I was given such a warm welcome and it has made such a difference. The friends on this forum are fabu and full of great info. Now, down to brass tacks–I’m no vegetarian. I didn’t get to the top of the food chain to eat salad. That being said, I do adore my vegetables. We do, however, have love of a good red and arsing menopause in common. Honestly, I started the hot flashes at 48 and am still having the painters in but less frequently. As for weight, I really packed on the weight after 45. In 10 years I’ve gained 60lbs. ouch. Having Mum live with us wasn’t easy and with Mum being British I was cooking meat, veg, spuds and a trough of gravy each night plus ‘afters.’ Not my favourite fare but certainly easier than cooking two different meals.
    I have settled in nicely on the diet. I really stick to 800 cals and have lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks. And I feel fab! Breakfast is my favourite with a thick slice of tomato warmed in the pan slightly, a slice of cheese, a slice of ham, obviously not for you, and topped with a poached egg. Then maybe 4 half pieces of walnut and a vat of tea. That sets me up until lunch! I try and clock 250 cals for breakfast. Lunch is usually tuna, salmon salad in lettuce cups and a couple of pickles or a trough of salad with maybe 1/2 cup tinned beans, usually black, and loads of assorted raw veg and a little grated cheese with oil/vinegar, dinner is often 100g of meat/fish with cauliflower mash and another veg. I found this wonderful almond milk that has coconut cream in it @30 calories / cup and 1 g carbs. and no fake sh*t in it. Love love love it. Other than that I drink obscene amounts of tea. I really enjoy infused water and cucumber is my go-to but there are jillions of combinations you can come up with. When I fancy a treat I hit the low GI fruits sparingly like 7 cherries, or a few blackberries. I’ll also put a 1/2 tsp of miso paste in hot water and a few cubes of tofu with it and/or bean sprouts. That is a good tide me over lift.
    Tomorrow we are heading up north to put the dock in at the cottage which is damned hard work as I’ll be in waders in water that is just off ice so it will be interesting to see how I do. It is on an island so no shops etc. I am packing a sensible lunch meal (we are only going for the day as it is too cold to stay overnight) but am tucking in an emergency pear just in case. OOOOOh lucky me. The old Lizzie would have packed an emergency box of merlot (yup, classy but easier for dock/boat transport) and stopped in town for a fully loaded subway sandwich with all the fixings and a bag of chips (crisps if you’re in the UK). But new righteous Lizzie is all about improvement! Now, despite my determination to stick to my sensibly portioned low carb packed lunch, I did catch myself perusing the SURVIVE IN THE CANADIAN WILDERNESS handbook and apparently the root of bullrush is not bad–we have loads, and I know where I can dig up some wild leeks……I just hope to f*ck it doesn’t come to that. We always leave an emergency food pack in the cottage in case someone gets stranded—oh sure it’s been through the depths of a Canadian winter and probably a teensy bit past its best but meh, if needs must….
    Adventurously yours,
    Liz

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hi all
    Better day today, I think. Breakfast (boiled egg) and lunch (chicken breast and roasted vegetables) was too small for me and by home time I was reaching danger point!
    Quick dash to Sainsbury’s on the way home and got a ready made courgetti bolognese. Not ideal but today wasn’t the day for cooking from scratch! Topped with 20g of grated cheddar and crisis averted!! Surprisingly good and filled the gap. Definitely a staple I will add to the shopping list for just such occasions.

So, tomorrow I have my monthly epic meeting (4pm-8pm), so going to switch it up and go big for meals during the day and have prepped some garlic and parsley prawns with cherry tomatoes for when I get in. Got a fasting blood test Thursday morning, so will help eating that bit later I hope!

Liz, I look forward to my Liz “gate” stories each day! They make me laugh and start my day so well. So, let me tell you a story of my own.

I have no bottom. I think it relocated to my stomach. Obviously tired of being sat on constantly and preferred the comforting carbs that came it’s way. I can’t fill a pair of trousers because when I get a pair to fit my waist they look like coco the clown elsewhere with a mini tent of material where a bum should be. So, my ever thoughtful friends created “operation bottom ” They searched everywhere and have eventually purchased me one. Basically padded knickers with a bottom all of my own! Operation bottom goes live next week when I shall wear them to work. Waiting to see if anyone notices they have kim kardashian working in the hospital now….

Yours (no longer bottomless)
    Lee xxx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Lee, OH MY ARSING GOD!!!! How funny!!! I can picture it now, your co-workers looking but trying not to look while trying to figure your new ass out!!! I hope the cheeks are stitched in as a few years back Kev and I were driving to Florida and stopped at a rest station for a pee. So there I am in my cubicle when a woman enters the one next to me. She unzips and next thing I know a prosthetic ass cheek is on the floor. In her panic to retrieve it she kicked it sending it to my cubicle. Without saying a word I gently nudged it back with the side of my foot, wiped, flushed, washed and made a hasty exit. So double sided tape or needle and thread but secure your new caboose!!! My uncle has no bum and last trip I asked him if he was taking that new drug “noassatol’. Once the penny dropped he laughed and laughed.
    Love the sound of the courgette bog. I wish we had that sort of instant food here. I’m travelling tomorrow so have packed a tuna/black bean, onion and assorted veg salad. In the north of my province there is very little let alone roadside healthy fare. I’ll have my thermos of tea and a jug of infused water so I should make out alright. Just going for the day but hope I don’t fall into hangry mode.
    Well done on your commitment! I just love the fab feel I get after a great day of adhering to the Mosely protocol.
    The good thing about this forum is we all take each other ass we are. Good luck with the epic meeting. If you feel a headache coming take some asspirin. As for you butt debut I’m sure you’ll look just bootyful. Your coworkers might think you’re from another planet as I bet your new butt will be out of this world. I could do this all night but I better haul ass and get to sleep.
    Yours Cheeky Liz

• posted by EC
    on

ah…thankyou for the lovely welcome Canadaliz!….I work in events (music) and all the Canadians I’ve worked with have been sheer delight…I hope to get over there (from Aus) in the next couple of years….Celtic Colours on Cape Breton Is is the aim for 2018!!

Being vegetarian has never been an issue food wise…I’m pretty good at adapting….cooking is just basic chemistry after all…but as I said…its the wine…then the disinhibition that comes post wine…then the snacks!!!

But thanks all for the levity and support…Leeleecheechee…you’re the antithesis of my great aunt who sported a bustle with no fabric help at all!!…so loved the bottom tale….temporarily lost mine on a seven hour hike in NZ a few years ago….but it returned with a vengeance

anyhow day three ….again (just) within 800 but did include a glass of red as my tolerance levels with family was greatly reduced (maybe empty alcohol receptors?)….or maybe husband and youngest son (who regularly visits right on tea time) are just annoying!!!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Liz, Liz, Liz
    I was reading your sauerkraut incident over my scrambled egg at breakfast with tears running down my face. The hiccupping and snorting was so loud that OH in bed was shouting downstairs (he still in bed!) to find out what was wrong.
    Laughing till you cry what a great way to start a day!
    You should be writing comedy shows or at least collect these blogs and publish them you could make a fortune.
    OH is a world class farter but he can do it without the help of sauerkraut!
    My years ago when step son and niece were about 10 and 11 they were staying overnight with us.
    I awoke in the middle of the night wondering what woke me up. In the days pre excess boozing I could sleep through hail thunder, storms etc but the slightest ‘strange’ noise would wake me. I could hear nothing so assumed it was the dog who slept in our room on his bean bag. I was lying awake as OH turns over and in his sleep lets rip a fart that that was probably picked up by the local seismic detection system. The kids who unbeknown to us had crept into our bedroom thought they were under mortar attack and ran screaming from the room back to their own bedroom. The resulting hysterial laughing only ceased when OH threatened to separate them.
    We have never found out what they were planning to do, so saved by flatulence. Somehow I don’t see Marvel setting up a new superhero
    Fart Man Saviour of the Universe!
    – though if they do OH will be a strong contender.
    Lost 4ibs in the last 8 days so very happy
    Just got to keep the scales going downwards
    The OH went for a liver function test and was told to stop drinking and lose some weight. Selfishly I am really happy about that as seeing him slurping wine at night has sabotaged my good intentions in the past.
    Of course now I am Miss Teetotal it wont happen!
    Cant wait to read your next instalment Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

I SLAYED THE BOOZE BEAST TODAY!!!…..and deconstructed a sundae.
    First you have to understand that the opening of the cottage in Canada is a highly ritualized event…..and typically involves a bastard load of booze. Well, today my Kev and I headed north to open our beloved cottage, get the waterline in and put the dock out. There is a process: first you open all of the doors and windows and give the cabin a good airing followed by mugs of tea. Next the waterline, the installation of which is celebrated with a few drinks. Then comes the dock…..We are on an island so the dock is critical to our island existence. Ours is a behemoth of a thing and takes a good deal of effort to set it afloat. Keeping in mind too that my Kev and I are in chest waders battling against waves in water that is only a few degrees off ice and it’s only a short time before you can feel nothing from the tits down. Once the dock is anchored we have for decades set two chairs at the end and proceeded to toast (multiple times) our grand effort and success. The evening usually sees a bonfire on the beach to burn any debris that has fallen during the winter, burgers on the bbq and of course more booze; a lot more booze. Well, in the face of Type 2 I had to make a change and it was damned hard. I had packed us a serving each of home made cabbage roll soup (ultra low carb) and a pot of raw veg salad with a little cheese. Well done me. The opening of the cottage went well and the breeze soon replaced the stale air with a forest fresh scent. The waterline went in without a hitch followed by a mug of tea and our cabbage roll soup. But the dock was a different story. We had a west wind today so the waves were hitting the beach with determination. It took near three hours to get the dock out and anchored after which we were shattered. Determined to push on through the ritual without booze we gathered the debris from the beach and paths and made a mound, doused a little lighter fluid on and boof! The first bonfire of 2017 was alight. Kev and I sat on the log bench, the sun was setting and I wanted nothing more than a large drink. It was tradition!! The BSD be damned!! I was jonesing for just one sacred drink. Worst craving ever. Kev offered encouragement, reminding me of my goals, but nothing would get the thought of a ‘traditional’ drink out of my head. On top of that I was hungry so I retreated to the cottage for my emergency pear. Munching on my low GI snack, and randomly going through the pantry of dried goods, I scoured the labels on the cup-a-soup packets, desperate to find something that I could drink that might take my mind off the craving for booze. In my frantic search I happened upon an unusually heavy biscuit tin. Turns out Kev had stashed a bottle of vodka in it before closing up last season. I opened it and set it on the table. There was my temptation staring up at me. My inside alcoholic voice was justifying “just one Liz, you deserve it.” “what harm could one do” “Liz, it’s not a ‘drink’ drink–it’s tradition.”
    Well I didn’t give in.
    After summoning what little resolve I had left I actually pointed to the bottle and said aloud “F*ck you–I have plans for me that don’t include you.” What I didn’t realize was that Kev had come up from the beach and was standing behind me. I turned, somewhat embarrassed, and tried to explain. He just offered a very comforting “Whatever gets you through Liz, whatever gets you through.”
    We left soon after as it is still rather cold to stay the night but next week there is the promise of better weather.
    On the two hour drive home I reflected on my success and, though tired, felt pretty good. We had to stop in at the shop for milk on the way home and as I reached for the carton, my eyes caught sight of an aerosol can of “real whipped cream with a hint of Madagascar vanilla.” Since starting the BSD I have made a point of reading any and all labels to uncover hidden low carb/calorie gems. Picking up the can of spray cream I read “10 calories/tbsp and 1g carb……….F*CKING BONANZA!!!!!!
    Arriving home I dished up a measured portion of sensible low carb shite for dinner all the while contemplating how I would have my cream treat. I settled on the fresh cherries we had in the fridge. I calculated I had 90 calories left. I weighed out the cherries and the scales allowed six if I was going to have room for the cream. I then placed the six cherries on the plate and sprayed four bulbs of cream around them with the intention of dipping the cherries into my decadent low carb discovery. But something just wasn’t there. I needed the wow factor. I needed a lush moment. An ultimate reward for a successful and damned difficult day.
    And then it came to me.
    I retrieved my cherry pitter from the utensil drawer (doesn’t every household have one?) And after pitting my six cherries, I stuffed them all into my mouth……then grabbed the can o’cream, popped the lid off, tipped my head back, put the nozzle to my mouth and blasted four grand tablespoons (give or take) of pure ecstasy directly into my soul.
    …….not realizing Kev was back in the kitchen to put the kettle on.
    Me: I can explain.
    Kev: Whatever helps you get through Liz. Whatever helps you get through.

I learned today that I am capable of change. That I have resolve when I’ve all but given up. That failing only happens when I stop trying. And that treats come in unexpected forms including aerosol.

Best wishes for you all to have a successful tomorrow,
    Liz and the aerosol cream
    xo

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Liz
    Well done , more than that f*cking well done!

To stare the devil down is a magnificent achievement, and it is so easy to give in.
    As I can demonstrate
    Last night rang OH on way home to see what was need from supermarket
    Are you getting a bottle of wine? he askes (normally I get two – one each dont have to ask!!) No I replied
    I thought perhaps we could share one? he says
    Well I did give in – but I insisted that it was my wine rather than the vinegar he drinks ~(its not it’s crap just that most white wines taste like sh*t to me)
    I had two glasses in fairly quick succession and then something strange happened
    I didnt like how I felt
    I didnt like drinking
    So I stopped and told him it was all his and had tonic water

Been thinking a lot about this over the evening and this morning. I am really pleased that I stopped but what is OH doing? He knows how much I want to lose weight and to stop drinking.
    Anyway told him that I am not buying anymore vino. If he wants some he gets it himself.
    Lost another 0.75ib so all going well
    I feel better than I have for ages – I am sleeping so much better

I have two wardrobes – my winter and summer wardrobe. I like clothes (or I did when I was slimmer) and I have a lot

The weather has finally turned warmer (except the last two days has been like November) and it made me start to put away my winter clothes and get the summer ones out.
    Instead of just swapping things around I made the deliberate choice to put all the clothes that no longer fit me in different bags to normal and put them in the spare wardrobe where they are going to stay until I can get in them or six months- which ever is the sooner
    If I cannot get in them – they are going!!
    It is scary how many there are and how few clothes I have that fit!
    If anything will inspire me its that – there must be hundreds of pounds of clothes , I hate throwing things away and OH says I am a skinflint!

Some are lovely and I have just pretended they are not there moving clothes around filling my wardrobes with stuff I cant wear
    I am going to get into them all!

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Dearest Canadaliz, you have a wonderful writing talent. Stay sober and exploit it. Love your stories. And as Kev says, what ever gets you through.

• posted by pod
    on

What fantastic posts, and well done to you canadaliz and madmare, for blasting the demons!!

• posted by Shrinkingviolet
    on

Liz! You are a fabulous writer! Also an amazing inspiration!
    I admire your determination to give up the booze so much! No addiction is easy to beat and you are so doing it. Sincere thanks for sharing. Yours is the first post I look for to make me laugh out loud
    Your Kev sounds like a star! My hubby is a great support to me as well (after 36 years married, he drives me bonkers sometimes but he does have a lot to put up with – me!!) It’s lovely to have a rock to cling to
    Anyway Liz, please keep posting, with very best wishes for your endeavours
    SV x

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Madmare, I had a similar experience when I had my first glass of merlot this week after 3 months. I couldn’t finish it which is unheard of for me.

About your clothes, just don’t leave it too long to check if they fit! I did 😢and missed the window for several favourite pieces. By the time I was brave enough to try them they were too big and had to go to the charity shop. Nice problem to have but disappointing! Good luck and well done.

• posted by pod
    on

Madmare and Mariet, Yesterday I tried on clothes that I haven’t worn for maybe 3 years.. I was astounded that the smaller ones fitted me, and the others were too big!!.. I too had left it too long, and have put some more gorgeous clothes to the charity shops..
    I’m now wearing evening gowns to do the dusting before they get too big!! Only joking!!

on

So, 90 minute facial (minus sauerkraut) booked for the 23rd June. It’s my birthday the next day which is reason enough but I figure some of the money I shall save on a booze filled night out can go towards it!

Had my second fasting blood test today with a gp review next week. I’m hoping he will see how my levels have dropped since starting this 3 weeks ago will encourage him not to put me on medication. That would be the best birthday present! Well, that and 🎂 🤣

Tough day today. Hit the ground running when I arrived at work and couldn’t stop for any brekkie which meant I did a 16 hour fast 😱
    It made lunch bigger as I moved the yoghurt and berries to “pudding” and felt great for the rest of the day! Eventually got home and genuinely too exhausted to even think about preparing food, plus it’s two days before food delivery which meant I felt a bit like “there’s nothing to eat!!” (There is plenty)

Old habits die hard and I knew I was close to a sod it moment. So, executive decision taken quickly resulted in two gluten free sausages getting bunged in the oven. So, not ideal and a far cry from being a balanced meal but it was what I needed. I wil end up 34 calories over but I’ve been under by more several times, so I think it will all come out in the wash. Off tomorrow to take dad to a few medical appointments, so will be able to re-group and deal with my menu in my usual methodical way.

Oh and the sausages were worth every mouthful….whatever gets you through right?

on

Liz
    I read today’s story with baited breath. What will happen? Will she open that bottle and start drinking?
    Should have known. You have shown the most amazing strength already. Combine this with an outstanding gift for writing and you manage to verbalise so eloquently how we have all felt and continue to do so. Be it booze, carbs or sugars, we have all faced demons to a greater or lesser extent and your willingness to share helps us all ❤️

Yours (waiting for the next instalment)

Lee xx (toddles off to join the squirty cream support group….)

• posted by Pancita
    on

CanadaLiz – I do so love your funny, heartfelt, inspiring posts. You have a real talent. I’ll look forward to reading your book. In the meantime, keep striving, keep writing, keep strong.

• posted by EC
    on

I KNEW that this would be the right forum to join!

yes well done Liz and Madmare!! not only a great read, but an inspiration!!!…If laughter helps with weight loss, we’ll all doing just fine!

I unfortunately, must report that my paella night blew the diet….well, I had calculated for the paella (1 1/2 cups 465 calories!!! but had eaten v little during the day) HOWEVER..the one glass of wine tipped me over and our friend shouted a late birthday negroni…I thought that spirits were low calories…but the one cocktail came in at a whopping 189 cals…ouch!

Returned to the fold this am …back on the rower, walking uphill with the border collie (though the short jog reminded me that 5 kids have left my pelvic floor in less than ideal shape!) and roast pumpkin and chickpea soup for lunch (winter in Hobart is perfect soup time, fortunately). Work is pretty sedentary so I have to get moving!

Like Mariet and Pod I am sorting the wardrobe into “soon to fit” “later to fit” ….already after four days (one of them disastrous, diet wise) the shirt I put on this morning already looks less lumpy (perhaps I look less lumpy in the shirt!)

This weekend I shall find the scales from under the mountain of paperwork

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Where to start!
    So Madmare–Congratulations on your epiphany!! What an amazing feeling it must have been to be mid-drinking session and think “f*ck this.” And you’re perfectly right–if OH wants wine–let OH get his wine; end of. This journey is about us and our plans for us. We can’t let the inclinations of others undermine our goals. In his defence though, guys just often don’t get the struggle. We love them but they are often thick as sh*t without meaning to be. I love my Kev but about a month ago when Kev just didn’t ‘get’ a point I was trying to make and I screamed “IF THE BUDDHISTS ARE RIGHT AND THERE’S REINCARNATION I’M COMING BACK AS A LESBIAN!!!” and what does he say, all smiles like? “Well I hope we die together then I can come back as a lesbian too, we can have wild girl sex and I can love you for another lifetime.” Okay, so it was sweet……BUT HE HAD FAILED TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY FRUSTRATION and in typical fashion had defaulted right to sex; juvenile predictable Kev.

As for the clothing, I have the same challenge. I’ve hung on to some outfits that may have been fab…..in the 1990s…..but now may be a ‘bit’ dated. I crushed myself just last week when going through my wardrobe. I came across the skirt that I was wearing when I met Kev….the waist fit my thigh. Just to give you a picture of the now me, my weight tracking app has a spot to put in my measurements. I dutifully measured only to discover that my ass is 50″ and my waist is 48″. Seriously, my waist is the same measurement as the average height of a midget, sorry, little person. Yup, my waist is the linear equivalent of the height of the midget, sorry, little person, Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones. Let that sink in…..

Crabbycams, thanks for the thumbs up! I’m no writer–I sell home health care products to pharmacies, but your kind words will keep me motivated! Honestly, I write here as I just feel part of something bigger. With my cyber pals I feel I’m not alone and truthfully, even this evening as I wobbled my way about the neighbourhood with dog in tow, I thought of Lee, and wondered how Sylv was doing and madmare,–we’re all in this together!
    ShrinkingViolet– thank you for your kind words. 36 years!!!!….what’s the secret?

Right, that brings me to today….
    The discussion of clothing got me thinking about my evolution from slim to enormous. I wear mostly t-shirts and jersey tunics as I can’t get a button-up top to, well, …..button up. My playful and compliant wobblies used to fit nicely into any and all fashion…. about 90lbs ago, but the jugs that now reside atop my ribs refuse to be bound. The mountain like knockers that grace my frame stretch knitted fabric to the point of tearing and one wrong move can turn a pearl button on a blouse into a deadly projectile. My boobs are wide too and as such I now walk like a cowboy wearing a dual gun belt preparing to draw.
    A girlfriend dropped ’round this evening and asked how I stay motivated to follow the BSD. Truthfully, it changes daily, but today I was inspired by clothing chat in the group. It has been years since I’ve looked in the mirror and thought–‘lookin’ good!” A decade ago (70lbs lighter) I would treat myself to matching knickers and bras from the lingerie shop at the mall but now I’m reduced to the industrial strength tit gear in the Plus Woman dept. at Walmart. Growing up I can remember the TV adverts for the 18 hour Playtex bra with the underwires and thick straps and recall longing for the time that I could fill one. Now I just want to hunt down the bastard that thought any woman would want to strap her milkmaids down, all medieval like, for the better part of our Earth’s day and night revolution. So I told my friend that beyond fighting my way back to good health, I’d like to look in the mirror one day, dressed to impress nobody but me, and say “Looking good.”
    That day will come,
    Yours,
    Lizzie Mountain Tits

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi Lucy Jane,
    Listening to you is like hearing myself talk. I look back and wonder why I drank so much of the very thing that made me feel like total sh*t. Now I look at alcohol like a clingy friend that just drains you. You know that person that wants your time, goes on about all their problems and leave you feeling completely drained–well that’s booze for me and I’ve kicked the selfish bitch to the curb.
    As for being a moderate drinker after eight weeks, well, don’t set expectations just mind how you go. I know for me I can’t. Give me one drink and I’ll finish the bottle and look for more.
    How fantastic that you are feeling so great after such a short time on the BSD. I’m right with you in saying how amazing I feel and truthfully, I feel younger.
    Well, let’s soldier on! At times it’s a battle but with the support of the friends on the forum and our inner determination–we’ll reap the rewards of victory together!!!
    Yours, Liz

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    Liz like you I too am cursed with enormous boobs. I have had them all my life. Even when slim my top half was two sizes bigger than my bottom meaning that I could not find dresses to fit. For those ladies less amply endowed and think they would like a bit more up top, believe me, YOU DONT!!!
    They get in the way, you have to strap them down to play sport, dresses are a no-no,
    And of course the menopausal Fat God has decreed that the extra weight I have put on has gone to my stomach and boobs rather than evening things out.
    So now the only bras are over the shoulder boulder holders, with industrial strength cantilevering.
    But what gets me is even now at the age of 58 at work discussing something vital, men will start staring at my tits. And its not a sneaky peek but full on goggle.
    This makes me so mad, what is bloody wrong with them?
    I am going to get a T-shirt with the slogan ‘D*ckhead my face is 12 inches higher’
    Perhaps I should say 18 everything is on the long march south!!!

• posted by Lornamac
    on

Have you considered surgery? Friends have had this done here in Australia – very happy with results.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    That’s very kind but I don’t do surgery! I know that if I lose weight the bazoomas will reduce dramatically. At my age most is fat!!
    Madmare

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Hello all. I’m new here, registered today after reading the BSD book. Much older than most of you I think, at 68 (?) and a gay male from Brighton, UK. Like many of you have suggested I’m quite a heavy drinker at about 1/2 Litre of Gordons and sugar free tonic most days – I’ve estimated these ’empty calories’ at roughly 6000 per week. Perhaps, as I only scanned many much of this forum, I’ve missed people mentioning these ’empty calories’? I don’t drink anything other than G & T and haven’t had a glass of wine for at least 25 years, I just don’t like it as it causes me heartburn.

I was a fairly skinny guy until I started University as a mature student studying IT back in 1989. By 2005 I’d achieved 18 stone (252 lbs) and late that year received my Type 2 diagnosis. Nothing much happened, no medication required apparently, so I just carried on as usual. Then, by 2011, I’d reached 21 stone (294 lbs), BMI 41 i.e. Morbidly Obese! By this time the medications had started, Gliclazide, ‘cos I couldn’t tolerate Metformin.

2012 I took a cruise to Australia where I toured around for nearly 3 months and returned home 30 lbs lighter! I know that cruises are always associated with serious weight gain but it was so bl**dy hot and the salads available so wonderful that I seemed naturally to adopt ‘bunny mode’. My conclusion was that, as much as anything else, it was just the change of environment and doing other than my usual stuff. I didn’t drink much and ate only when hungry throughout my stay in Australia – from Darwin to Adelaide. Of course, it’s an ‘orrid fact, that men can lose weight considerably more easily than the majority of women.

After returning to UK, via Hong Kong, I resumed my sedentary life style, including Gin intake. Oddly, I didn’t put the weight back on really. During the late winter of 2015/16 I took myself to the Canary Islands for some winter sunshine and coming home during mid-February with a decent tan and feeling great. On the morning after my return flight I was scheduled for a diabetic blood screening. The previous evening I’d consumed 2 whole octopi forced on me rather by the delightful staff of a restaurant I’d been using prior to my departure. I guess octopus isn’t the food to eat before a blood screening, who knew 🙂

My blood screening results proved ominous and soon found myself in the nurses chair with my very own Nurse Ratchett, dear Fiona, telling me how awful I was. A 20-minute appointment turned in to an hour of laughter – but, for the first time I actually listened to the ranting Fiona. ‘F*ck me, I listened’.

The next 8 months became known, among friends, as ‘Iain’s Regime!’ Fiona weighed me in at 17 stone 10 lbs in February and by October I’d lost a further 3 stone, a little under 15 stone. I changed my eating habits, by choice, to one quite similar to the BSD but without any reference to calories whatsoever i.e. I ate as much as I wished. I re-joined the gym I’d abandoned in 2006 and took up serious walking – I mean serious walking, with every step being computer logged using my Microsoft Band. During both May and later August I reached 500,000 steps per month (170 miles roughly) with a probable average of 350,000 per month until October. I’ve always been a person who loves walking, while I live in a proper walkers city, next to the sea etc.

My bicycle came out of purdah too. I was getting slim, had some musculature returning, owned a tan to die for (or of, depending on your point of view). However, at just below 15 stone my weight plateaued for 2 months, I couldn’t shift an ounce however far I walked, trained or cycled.

Then the winter arrived and my winter blues set in. So far, now June 2017, I haven’t been able to recover despite the return of summer – I’ve gained back 12 lbs too. I have all the time in the world to spend upon myself as I’m fully retired and need to lose a further 27 Kgs. I did get my bicycle out again a few weeks ago, everything done for the season, only to have it immediately stolen!

So I’m now thinking about this BSD 800 diet.

One problem appertaining to men with Type 2 Diabetes is impotence. Certainly Type 2 women may suffer a lowering of their libido but that isn’t quite the same thing. You may be thinking, ‘My God, he’s nearly 70!’ Sex is still important to me and I get it. Of course, a gay man has sexual ‘options’ not readily available to heterosexual men and currently I have semi-impotence i.e. everything works but in rather a lacklustre manner.

So there, I’ve introduced myself and am saying ‘Hello’ to all contributors.

Iain

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Lain

Welcome aboard. Thanks for giving us a bit of history. I think it helps all of us to see others battling similar problems, the ups and downs and various successes and solutions. Good luck with the blood sugar diet, it certainly has helped a lot of people. This forum has lots of information proffered from nutrition tips to recipes to ways to outsmart the demons that send us running for a drink or chocolate or something else unhealthy..

I am finding it tough going at the moment. Weightloss has stalled. Calories have crept up……Sometimes it is hard to keep going when the results are not there. But what choice do I have hey? Diabetic with currently controlled blood sugar levels – I don’t want to have very high readings again.

We both have a great reason to stick to the diet and I am wishing you all the best on your journey.

Bigeater

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi Iain and welcome to our group!
    You’ll find the contributors on this forum very open and willing to share. So, first off, I love love love Brighton….well, I did. Growing up I spent summers with my family and one of my treasured memories is the train trips down to Brighton (we’re talking 50 years ago.) I was in Brighton last summer and by Christ it has changed. You are right when you say it is a walker’s town….because you haven’t a flipping choice!!. We had to park in a satellite lot and bus in. The “lanes” were lovely and the beach still pebbly but the crowds were a bit much for this Canadian used to wide open spaces.

I read your weight gain loss account and my response is: that was then and this is now. Don’t be bogged down or discouraged by your past experience–today it is your choice, your rules and Mosely’s guidance. From my experience and that of my gay friend Leo’s–you have nothing to lose and everything to gain…..and I’m talking dick inclination not weight. (more about Leo later.)

Now, on to your concerns about your love pole’s health. While I don’t have a dick I do respect the importance of a man’s relationship with his Magic Johnson. Frankly, having a husband that still hangs a towel off his morning wood en route to the shower and further having raised two sons, I think Freud got his evaluation of the human psyche all wrong. For women, sure, Ego, Superego, Id makes sense but for men it should have been Ego, Superego, Big Willy and the Twins. From the moment men find their todger as an infant they are besotted and you have every right to be concerned about the health of your beloved trouser treats.

Somewhere around mid-life the gallons of booze, take out food and hours/days/years clocked in the recliner, start to take their toll as the fragile blood vessels found within the much adored tube steak succumb to the cumulative effect of the excesses of life. The cause of a soft sausage isn’t always physical; it can be rooted in stress or anxiety. But no matter what the cause of the malfunction—it is the ultimate betrayal for the otherwise healthy and psychologically balanced male. Seriously, for decades, Sir Rod of Twinballshire (I threw that one in as you are English) has been a faithful servant and gone to great lengths….(get it…great lengths ) to please but now you can’t get the disinclined bastard to participate in a conquest to serve the needs of the kingdom.

Okay, enough with the analogies….

My dear (gay) friend of 40 years, Leo, was a generously proportioned man until he was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes; he is 63. His top weight was 262lbs. At the time of his diagnosis he too was suffering from trouser apathy. Apparently Scotty and the McBall twins were more than happy to socialize and actively sought out invitations to private parties but though his mind wanted the sex, his tackle could only muster a half hearted response. Then came the 800 cal/day Mosely BSD. When he told me about it I told him he was insane and it wasn’t enough food and he’d probably die. But he quietly soldiered on with his doctor’s blessing and lost 60lbs. He told me he had joined Weight Watchers so I wouldn’t nag. He has held the weight off as he transitioned to the 5:2 and his fasting blood sugars are normal. He still avoids carbs and he drinks but in moderation. I spoke with him today and read him your entry and asked him what has been the best result. He said “Liz, remember when I called you at 11 o’clock at night with my fabulous announcement.” I had to think back and after a moment the penny dropped….”Oh my God Leo, yes!!!! You called when I had just got to bed and when I answered you screamed into the phone LIZ!!!! I’M LYING ON MY BACK IN BED AND I CAN SEE MY DICK!!!” Apparently his girth had prevented a clear view of his man junk even when on his back. He says it was his new found confidence that he found most rewarding and enriching. With a diet strong on veg and low carb he has rolled the years back on his dangle and enjoys a healthy and satisfying sex life. Another benefit apparently was with the weight gain, his love stick had somehow retreated into his body so even when hard he was missing a little more than an inch. After the weight loss it magically reappeared.

I do know that dick health is reflective of general health so even if you don’t do it for your dick, do it for your general wellbeing. Sex is for sure important!

So Iain, why not join us on the journey. It won’t hurt and you’ve everything to gain! From inches to confidence–today is your day!

Yours, Liz

• posted by EC
    on

Hi Madmare…please do the T-shirt…and make sure you share a pic with us all!!

Also welcome to Iain….and yes, gin would be my other love but it’s so expensive here in Aus that we generally only get it if travelling, thus duty free (maybe a lifesaver?!)

One think that strikes me about your story is the possible link with mood and weight gain…a subject that interests me greatly. Some research suggests that Vit D (which of course in certain climates…yours and mine too, in the far south of a generally sunny country) is known to be hard to come by in winter….and studies suggest that its frequently low in people suffering with obesity related disorders (chicken or egg, who knows?)
    Anyhow…maybe worth a blood test? Its pretty routinely recommended to Tasmanians in winter now.

I’m also a big walker (the border collie decrees it) but it seems that the intermittent high intensity bouts increase metabolism much more reliably….speaking of, shit about your bike….insurance?

anyhoo..thanks all. I’m sure its this group that has seen me back on track after the other day….being accountable (and yes, still to find the scales from under the pile of paerwork!)

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi Friends,
    Had a fabulous Saturday night surrounded by drunk friends and tapas. I had initially declined the invitation to join my friends in celebration of a 55th birthday but after much urging agreed. I was super concerned about being tempted to drink and over eat but neither happened. I spent the night with club soda and lime and the tapas was lovely. I ordered a plate of grilled asparagus with parmesan for 60 calories, a fiery shrimp one (three shrimp @60 calories) a few olives and a marinated tomato tartare which was lovely. I could have racked up some serious damage but didn’t and only two people were totally irritating a**holes relating to me not drinking. One even poured a shot of vodka into my drink when I was in the toilet but the waitress whispered to me what had occurred and she happened to be type 1 diabetic so knows the importance of knowing what you consume. It’s funny, they were all okay with me dieting and restricting my food intake but not restricting my booze intake. Odd.

My weight loss has definitely slowed to abut 1/2 lb/day which is fine. I am still feeling crazy good with supercharged energy until about 3pm when I fall into my chair, or if at work, pull into a parking lot, set my alarm for 20 mins and nap then have a tea and soldier on. On Friday I had pulled into a coffee shop drive thru, bought a large tea, settled in for a nap only to have some f*cking do-gooder rap on the window “Are you alright Ma’am?”
    I eat my breakfast about 7am, then lunch about 1 and dinner at 7. I do get the odd pang but as we are encouraged not to snack I drink tea…..by the vat.
    How are you all doing?
    Teetotally yours, Liz

• posted by AngelaM
    on

Ladies
    Good morning….I think I’ve found the sisters I should have had. I too am a menopausal 52 year old, bottle of wine most days, 50lbs heavier than I should be Scottish woman. I start today….I’ve been reading these exchanges for the last week or so while I nurse my tea and hangover and this morning I’m ready to join you. I fear I am not as witty as many of you, but I’d like to be in your gang.
    My father was an alcoholic and died at 59 of pancreatic cancer, my mother has been in out of institutions all her life and and has recently been diagnosed with dementia.
    So from this stable upbringing there’s me and 4 siblings…..
    I’ve been married to Jim for 25 years and have 2 hangers on…sorry children…..and like many of you I’ve had a light bulb moment to sort me out before something serious sets in.
    I’ve had my vat of tea Liz and some eggs for brekkie…..3 hours in and raring to go…..
    I’m hoping with this group I’ll find the camaraderie and some much needed support….x

• posted by EC
    on

hello Angela and welcome (my evening…soon to be bedwards) gosh with Scots, Canadians, Brits and Aussies we have almost every English accent covered!!

I’m a few years ahead age wise (possibly a few wines ahead also) and love the idea of sisters…I had none also…only an intellectually disabled brother and my darling dad scarred from 3.5 years as a POW and also gone at 60 (heart attack) and my mum also dementia in her last two years (she died 3 years ago)…so another lame duck!!
    Amazingly, my five strapping lads are brilliant..as are their wives, partners and so far four children between them all…so I AM very fortunate

So…week one of BSD has seen most days close to the 800cals (except for the paella night…but I knew that!!) but unlike our amazing Liz (to whom I’m in total awe for not only her wit but will)….only three out of seven totally alcohol free nights…though I must admit its getting easier to have less.

Week two for me starts tomorrow…..and will be even better

here’s to tea by the vat!

• posted by EC
    on

but before bed…I meant to say…Canadaliz…you are AWESOME!!! to be at a night like that and stick to your resolve!! am inspired.;l…and woul

d write more n=but there is a mad tortoiseshell cat licking my typing hand!!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Canadaliz – you did absolutely brilliantly on Saturday night. Also – how nice it was that the waitress let you know what had happened to your drink.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

What a fab group. Please may I join you?
    It’s inspiring to read about you lovely lot facing and overcoming your daily demons. That’s exactly where I would love to be right now, so, my challenge is not to give in to carbs (which I constantly crave). Not tiny little carbs but big giant ones that I can stuff in my cheeks and store for later like a hamster (although, unlike a hamster, I don’t know when to stop eating and to start storing – except fat, which I am exceptional at storing.
    Wishing you all a good day/night/evening depending on where you are. Well done on your successes!
    Let the challenge begin.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Welcome McAngela!
    I love everything Scottish….especially shortbread. My father-in-law is from Glasgow and for the first 10 years I just smiled and nodded politely as I couldn’t understand a f*cking thing he said. He calls me hen which is cute and when we leave says something that sounds like ‘by the noo” again, cute…but no clue. I have dear friends in Blairgowrie and just love that part of Scotland.
    Right, on to business. DO IT! I give you my word you’ll have our support and we can do it together. We are, for the most part, big booze loving chicks going through menopause with an inclination to change. Now is the time! Never let it be said that we procrastinate, but yes, we should have done this sooner. But it’s not too late to be and look fabulous! Ultimately, I see this process as a gift to myself.

The first few days were a trial for me. I was hungover, newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic and feeling like total shit. So I thought, Liz, time for a change. I filled a pitcher with water and a 1/2 a cucumber and sipped away. Lunch was a few slices of thin ham and cheese rolled around salad or dill pickle spears. I felt lost, hadn’t a clue what to eat and was floundering but I made it. Coming off of a 26oz bottle of gin/day and 4 cans of tonic plus a carb laden diet wasn’t fun…..but I did it.
    I’m just waking up (Sunday) which was our traditional grand fry up and a pint treat; seriously, we’d have a pint or 3 with Sunday breakfast. This morning I’m having a thick slice of a big tomato warmed in the pan, topped with a wafer thin slice of ham, slice of cheese, poached egg, grilled mushrooms and 1 strip of streaky bacon and all for 240 cals!!! and negligible carbs. If I wanted to could stretch to a slice of Weight Watchers toast (9 carbs/50 calories) but for me that would say ‘marmalade’ so I forgo the excess.

I’m sorry that you had a sh*t ride growing up. Hey, you don’t get to our age without racking up pain but part of this diet process for me is clearing house. For me it was the creepy uncle that interfered and Mum didn’t believe me until she saw the blood and even then said “go have a bath and we’ll speak no more about it.” Thanks Mum. Anyway, onwards and upwards. We will soldier forward on OUR TERMS. F*ck all of our yesterdays, every single bastard one of them (except the good ones). It’s a clean slate for each and every one of us and our tomorrows will be created on how we want to live.

Angela, take a moment today to think about your relationship with booze. I now see it as a clingy manipulative bitch that I just want to get rid of. Maybe go for a walk or chat with a friend. I find solace in a cup of tea, staring out into the garden, confident in the knowledge that at that moment I made a choice–the right choice for me in that moment. And as my confidence grows so does the ease with which I make choices. You’ll especially feel stronger as you see the weight fall off.

So join us!! You’re not making this journey alone! You’ve got us!

Yours in teabags,
    Liz

• posted by AngelaM
    on

Hey Liz, how you doin’ hen?
    Small world indeed, I was brought up in Motherwell, near Glasgow and you’re right, it’s full of men with the wit and wisdom of Billy Connolly!
    I’m a medical rep, so my job takes me all over Scotland and I kid you not, I was in Blairgowrie on Friday visiting a local GP practice, whose opening welcome to me was ” You’ve put on the beef!” This from someone who is no stranger to the sweet trolley himself and a nose which gives away his own drinking habits….ignorant bastard!
    Drinking has been the monkey on my back for some time and I feel like shit and tired shit at that.
    No more excuses, onwards and upwards….just this evening to get through…
    I too had a pervy relation in the form of my grandfather….what a world.
    Anyway, feeling motivated…cup of tea anyone ? X

• posted by AngelaM
    on

EC….thanks for the welcome and 3 out of 7 is an achievement. If I’m in the same position this time next week, I will be delighted….
    We’ve got the colonies covered and seems the world over we’re all dealing with the same issues and family highs and lows…..
    Taking time out today some research and plan my week food wise….
    Keep in touch x

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Many, many years ago, whilst working as a social worker in Lewes, UK, I attended a ‘Sexual Health & Awareness’ course run by the Marie Stopes organisation in London. Of the many group exercises we undertook, one included groups writing down lists of sexual euphemisms for both the male and female genitalia. So glad that Canada Liz wasn’t attending! – for, I swear we’d still be doing it! 🙂 Hahaha.

Thanks for your welcome to this group, I do certainly appreciate it.

As yet however I’ve got no further than reading most of Mosley’s book. Though, in mitigation I must add that for the past 5/6 days I’ve had an upset stomach and largely been feeling pretty grotty with considerably more time spent shuffling to lavatory than would be usual. Consequently, even thinking about food isn’t highest on my agenda.

Rather surprising there wasn’t a great deal in the BSD book of which I was not already aware, at least in general terms. The photograph included of the ‘health food choices’ was almost an exact reproduction of my ‘regime’ diet of 2016 and my 40 (ish) lb loss in weight. Of course, I was also adding 50 ml of Gordons daily and using no calorific measurements, merely eating from a selection of foods very similar to that displayed in the BSD book. So, even ‘with the Gin’ and lots of daily exercise too, I WAS doing very well indeed. Like Canada Liz’s friend Leo, I too establish a nodding and visual relationship with my penis again.

Therefore, I have absolutely ‘no doubt whatsoever’ (derived from my 2016, sort of, practice run) that an abstinent adherence to 800 calories per day regime will pocket the required prize for me. I am reminded that a dietician I chatted with last summer, did warn me that such a consistent, long-term use of alcohol (and please bear in mind that I am 68 and my usage covers roughly 40-50 years) should be something totally abandoned only very carefully – that there could be quite severe physical and psychological issues to face. No-one, I hope, is pretending that alcohol consumption at this level isn’t an addiction, alcoholism. I also tend to believe that I possess a weird ‘drinkers’ characteristic in that I know when I’ve had enough! Of course a daily 50 ml of Gin is still dangerous however well policed it may be by some internal restraint. Again, I should mention the advantage of being male too as, unfortunately ladies, we ‘bastards’ can get away with more than you – I’m coming to believe that I’ve ‘got away’ with quite a lot 🙁

As an aside, I would wish to commiserate with the Australian member concerning the price of Gordon’s in Australia! Little wonder I lost weight in Australia where a litre of Gin is roughly twice the price of the UK 🙂

I also possess an even more dangerous addiction, I’m a smoker of 55 years duration!

I know, you’re probably all wondering how can this guy be alive? This is the biggest ‘no-no’ for Type 2 Diabetics as I’m sure you’re all aware.

The most ubiquitous opinion attests, ‘one thing at a time’ when attempting to approach any of these compounded health issues and addictions. One thing I do know for certain is that I can smoke without drinking but could never contemplate drinking (alcohol) without a cigarette. Consequently, the logic of this triumvirate of vices is to address the alcohol along with the BSD 800.

Without knowing the average age of the cohort subscribing to this particular thread – though I have the impression that I may be the oldest – it is quite difficult to compare and contrast experiences. I acknowledge that, nearing 70 is no great age today. However, when I was born, shortly after WW2, that the average UK male age of mortality was 71 and a man of my current age would ‘actually be old’ using the then prevailing population statistics. A further fact is that I have lost the vast majority of my many youthful friendships, they have died already. One feature of my life was my being both youthful and significantly promiscuous both approaching and during the AIDS era, late 1970s/80s/90s. Many, many died: including 50% of those friends that truly mattered to me. Since then, there has also been more natural wastage too i.e. cancer, accident, suicide (Oh Yes! this list is endless). Even today, at a mere 68, my black humour often phrases the idea, ‘if you want a large funeral, die young!’

Last year I found the strength to get up and go for it – and my efforts were partially very successful, while my few remaining close friends both took inspiration from my efforts – a particular woman friend of mine learned to swim and she’s terrified of water – and encouraged me greatly and laughed with me a lot over my silly gym stories.

I guess that the point I’m attempting, rather clumsily, to make here, is that ‘dark days’ do come. While I greatly applaud the ‘gung-ho (ness) and this interesting group forum I would suggest, earnestly, that none ‘paint themselves in to a corner’ and thereby perhaps fail to recognise or work with the coming ‘darker issues’ too – generally, I would suggest, they don’t just solve themselves. There is a certain paradox within the notion of a ‘determined alcoholic’ as, most usually, the determination is governed by the addiction and not the solution, in my opinion.

Please bear with me. Hugs to all, Iain Holland.

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Hi Angela. I was welcomed, an old gay geezer – and with a Glaswegian ex – partner of 6 years duration as it happens. Yes dear, Glaswegian men are gay too 🙂 Heterosexual women should count their blessings 🙂

Wish you every success and BIG hug. Iain

on

Hi everyone and welcome to the newbies! Nice to see we have a gent among us!

So, I’ve been keeping at it in my own quiet way. Enjoyed my Sunday morning with 3 hours of uninterrupted telebox watching. 2 hours of Obese: A year to save my life followed by the uber trashy Biggest Loser! All enjoyed with a bucket of tea and my lush Greek yoghurt with blueberries. Its a guilty pleasure but given it starts at 9am and I used to be wallowing in my hangover around that time while waiting for dominoes to open it’s a huge life change. I have so much more of it now. The house is clean, the fridge stuffed with great food and today load after load of washing completed, dried on the line and put away. (Love that air dried laundry smell) just got to change the bed now to take advantage of it. I’ve also collected a bag of fat clothes to go to charity. I was very sad to wave goodbye to old faithful black jeans but hiking them up every few steps is not an attractive look! However, I am delighted to advise that they have been replaced with a pair of next skinny jeans (who on earth do I think I am??!!) Still, I am discovering I want to wear more fitted clothes rather than hiding myself away. That might explain the new Boden wrap dress…..

Lunch was a chard, pea shoot, lambs lettuce and beetroot salad with some left over roasted veg and some chicken. Still don’t recognise my behaviour…

Progress has been slow but steady. I always knew it would be slower for me having less to lose (having lost 4 stone 5 or 61lbs over the last few years) but the blood sugar and avoiding medication is the true goal. That said, I’ve had a bit of a “wooosh” this week losing 4.2lbs which has been double what I’ve done previously. So now I’ve lost 10.5lbs since I started this woe and I’m actually 4.5lbs off reaching the top end of “normal” whoop whoop!! Long term, I’ve still got 18lbs to lose, so it doesn’t stop here.

Wake up blood sugar when I started was 14.3 and today it was 7.9 which is higher than some I have seen but shows significant improvement but loads more work to do yet!!

Wow, this has turned into Homers Odyssey, so for those still awake, well done!!

Cat has joined me on the bed, snuggled up to me while I write. Perhaps it’s time for tea rather than changing the bed….😁

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

I do have a few further observations.

As far as I can tell CanadaLiz opened and has promoted this forum thread. I liked her immediately upon reading her first post.

However, I am becoming less and less sure whether ‘alcoholism’, ‘Type 2 Diabetes’ and ‘weight loss’ should, in fact, share the same platform. Personally, I rather wish these forums were moderated by a proper health professional.

While I do not wish to be insulting to any contributor, the truth is, in my opinion, that ‘alcoholism’ doesn’t sit well with either of the other categories. The BSD concerns Type 2 Diabetes, I read the book – and knew this fact anyway.

It may be a bit of a balancing act. When you consult with your GP are you talking about your Diabetes, your weight gain or your alcoholism? There’s simply no health manifesto that I know of which includes these 3 candidates for simultaneous attention and therapy.

And now my further remarks have the potential to cause a storm of vitriol.

I have a 90 year old mother with dementia and Alzheimer’s. June, her name, has been overweight all of her life, topping out at roughly 19 stone, 50 years ago. June has been on some kind of diet for all of my adult life and is still, at 90, convinced that ‘Low Fat’ is the way forward. The most recent food science is a complete mystery for her and can’t be explained. She’s 90! Her recent endeavours for a ‘model’ role has been her adoption of ‘No Added Sugar’ Alpen – and she believes that this contains ‘No Sugar’. I know, Oh please! Consequently, I take to piss quite a lot.

June lost the 19 stone status many years ago, she has large hips and unattractive legs. So no Diabetes there for sure. I don’t imagine that she’s much more than 11 stone now – and for many years past – but still the obsession!

What this tells me is far more about women – and their weight – than anything else. And, yes, women most specifically.

You may not get my point. Iain XX

• posted by Iain Holland
    on

Don’t know what Horner’s Odyssey is? I could look it up, but would be nice to hear from you. Iain.

on

Hi Iain

It’s an epic Ancient Greek poem attributed to Homer. See, I did learn something at uni studying literature after all!

Course, I didn’t end up in that field, I’m in cancer research now running studies into blood cancer, so it goes to show you are not stuck on a path set by uni!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

“While I do not wish to be insulting to any contributor, the truth is, in my opinion, that ‘alcoholism’ doesn’t sit well with either of the other categories. The BSD concerns Type 2 Diabetes, I read the book – and knew this fact anyway.”

I’ve been doing the BSD for 10 months and have been on this forum nearly that long. The number of people who constantly, and I mean constantly, derail their diet with regular drinking — if I never see the deliberately obfuscatory phrase “the odd glass of wine” again it’ll be too soon — was and remains shocking to me. Perhaps it’s because I was never much of a drinker and I don’t have a social life that revolves around alcohol like so many people seem to, but I think a habit that is so ingrained that even people who have committed to restricting every calorie and carb throw away all their hard work practically every weekend, and often more frequently than that, are dealing with a genuine pathology whether they recognize it or not.

I doubt that carb and alchohol addiction are two completely seperate threads that can be dealt without reference to each other, especially in the context of weight loss and blood sugar issues. There’s little difference, from my perspective, between someone who cannot stop sabotaging their diet with sugar in the form of cake or in the form of alcohol.

That’s not to say that many of us wouldn’t benefit from addressing these issues with medical and/or psychological professionals, but it’s not a mutually exclusive thing There is great value in peer support and the sheer enjoyment to be derived from reading posts by someone like Canadaliz who is funnier and more honest than 99% of stand-up comedians and whose gift for comical metaphor verges on genius. I’m sure there isn’t a single one of those medical professionals who wouldn’t recommend seeking out support from a community of people who share the same goals and challenges. There’s a reason support groups are a keystone of treatment for addiction, weight loss and every illness under the sun, including T2D.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Thank you Esnecca. I thought about that post all day and felt utterly disturbed by it on several different levels. Keep posting everyone — none of this is anyone’s business but your own.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi Oi and Welcome!!
    Yup, we’ve all been there, “Oh I really shouldn’t” as we do in the cake table at a bridal shower or the “I’ll just have a sliver” then go back for the whole f*cking branch of Chocolate Yule log (you know the chocolate cake limb that looks like an actual log. But that was then–by joining us you’ve got an army of determined friends who have your back. We’ve been there, at times still are there but are determined to make changes and invest in happier healthier us-es. Not a word but you get my meaning. You know your trigger points so maybe start with little changes. Take inspiration from some of the fabulous chicks here who have made subtle but impressive changes in their habits and routines.
    Anyway, welcome!
    Yulelogly Yours,
    Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Angela,
    Was thinking about you today–how weird is that on the Blairgowrie! As for that prick and the comment–you point him out and I’ll give him what for next time I’m in town. Try not to worry about every single future day. Just get through the moments. They will add up to days and next thing you know, cleanish living will be second nature. Cool that we have so much in common–and I’m betting success will be added to the list soon! Keep up on the infused water–I really find it helps huge!

Yours Pissing for Canada,
    Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Okay…..now Lee’s just showing off….
    fuck, was that my outside voice?
    Lee!!!!! HOW ARSING AMAZING ARE YOU!!!!!!! (said convincingly but betraying jealous tones.)
    Seriously though, NOT HUNGOVER!! LAUNDRY DONE AND PEGGED OUT!! FRIDGE FULL OF GOOD FOR YOU SHITE!!! YOU, MY AMAZING WOMAN, ARE A THOROUGHLY STELLAR INSPIRATION!!!
    Just think, a couple of weeks back you, like me, and many of us here, would have been bagged out on the sofa, hungover as all f*ck, tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth, running to the bog to release the explosive DADS (day after drinking shits), bleeding to death from your eyes, popping Tylenol like Pez candies, ice pack strapped to your head, dying for your first crap carb hangover cure and feeling guilty over the list of stuff you need to do but couldn’t.
    AND NOW LOOK!!! Hell, I can smell that clean laundry all that way from here!
    God you’ve motivated me!

Inspiredly yours,
    Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hi Iain,
    I certainly welcome your concerns and maybe you do need to address your issues separately but for me alcohol, eating and diabetes are the trifecta of evils influencing my health and cannot realistically be treated independent of the other. I would drink, then be hungover, then eat grossly inappropriate food which influenced my bodies ability to metabolize the sugar. Addressing the booze changed the food and improved the sugar.
    I’m not sure I could have even come this far without the support of these amazing participants. I have shared more with these cyber friends that I have with friends I have known for years. I see the doctor every two weeks and she takes my blood as she too is interested in how effective this diet is. Mosely is near unheard of on this side of the pond.
    As for your preference that this forum be moderated by ‘proper health professional”, well, having been down to the bottom of too many bottles to count, I feel I know me best and only I can address the characteristics of my vice. You’ll notice some women here can have 1/2 a bottle wherein I admit, I can’t. Sharing just that with others has empowered me and my relationship with my understanding with alcohol. As for Type 2 diabetes and weight loss, the ‘proper health professional” is Dr. Mosely.
    Iain, I am the eternal optimist looking for the opportunity in every black cloud. You have experienced much sadness in your life and my heart breaks for the disproportionate loss of friends at the hands of the vile bastard that is AIDS but somewhere in your life you must allow for joy to shine through. In another post you cautioned about the optimism on this page and how you were concerned about participants painting themselves into a corner. I see us as redecorating our lives and cutting new doorways in walls that we have built up.
    Please know that every drink that I ever took wasn’t because I was raped at nine years old, or divorced and left raising two young sons as my then husband couldn’t keep his dick in his pants. As surprising as it seems, more often than not, I just liked to fucking drink. And, walking around my neighbourhood on recycling days, it would appear that the majority of my neighbours are saucepots too.
    Keep sharing Iain, you’ve a journey ahead of you and maybe we can help carry you through your dark days. I’m here. I’ll listen.
    Yours, Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Gang!
    Today here in Toronto it was as hot as Satan’s balls and humid too but I still accomplished lots…..Including not murdering my Kev.
    I got up grumpy due to the heat and was bemoaning the fact that it will be forever until I reach my target weight. So well meaning Kev offers:
    “Liz, why not make incremental goals like, um…hey, maybe work towards getting under the maximum weight load for the garden furniture.”
    Well, I’ll tell ya, I didn’t know whether to embrace him for at least trying to be helpful or punch him in the f*cking throat. Oh, and I’m 19lbs from the garden furniture. In the meantime, I perch on the stone garden wall. It’s a wonder I haven’t developed piles. I swear it can be 85 degrees out but those stones are as cold as a penguin’s arse.

Anyway, so today my neighbour comes over with a pair of those dorky Nordic training poles that she won at charity bingo and says I can have them. I give her stink eye but she convinces me that they really work your arms and Lord knows, when I get moving my arm flaps they damn near lift me off the ground. Well, I tried them. Yup, I got decked out in my XXL lady lycra stretchy pants, strapped on my running shoes, one of Kev’s shirts, strapped a 10lb velcro weight on each ankle and headed out. They say ‘Go big or go home” –I’ve obviously nailed the big but half way through my walk I wasn’t sure it I’d make it home. I knew I looked like a total douche canoe but I’ve got to admit, the poles really make your arms ache after a couple of blocks. I completed my 30 minute hike around the neighbourhood, poles a’swingin’. Sure I’m a massive ball of bounce but in my mind, for those 30 minutes, I was an Olympic Nordic skier ploughing through the snowy forest and closing in on the gold medal. Upon arriving home, and collapsing into my chair, Kev placed a cup of tea beside me. Once I deemed it cool enough to drink I reached for it….but my arms were so shattered I could barely lift the cup to my lips. Ahhh the trials of an athlete.

My walk took me past the local church wherein I could hear the choir belting out the usual Christian message so it got me to thinking about prayer. Now, I was raised Christian but I’m not exactly one to pray but if ever there was a time to ask for strength now seems like a good time and I found myself slip into prayer as I thundered through the streets and it went something like this:
    Dear Heavenly Father,
    Over the years I know you have stood by and watched me ride the cardinal sin of gluttony like a blue ribbon cowboy at a rodeo. Okay, and maybe I took a rather relaxed approach to the Heavenly virtue of temperance–but only really as it applied to gin, okay, and maybe wine. Look, I know that with the whole diabetes thing I have to make serious changes to my lifestyle. On that note–why did anything good you created have to be packed with carbs?? But look, getting back to business, I want to ask you– with the path ahead of me promising to be challenging enough why did you have to add the trial of temptation to my path?
    HF: Of what temptation do you speak my child? (Hey, God hears our prayer and answers them too right?)
    Me: Oh seriously Lord?! Like you don’t know! Okay, so yesterday at the grocery store I’m in line at the cash with a cart full of healthy stuff, half of which was arguably harvested from Satan’s garden, and right there on the end of aisle display is the new MCDONALDS MAC SAUCE AND TARTAR SAUCE NOW AVAILABLE IN CONVENIENT SQUEEZY BOTTLES!!! Like seriously Lord?? You know I adore that stuff. Ever try Mctartar sauce on a baked potato? You know, I bet the manna from Heaven you whipped up for the Israelites in the Exodus would have been even better with a squirt of Mac sauce. Really Lord, you are the Master of all paths–you couldn’t have maybe done one of your divine intervention things at McDonald’s headquarters a couple of years back?? Look, don’t get me wrong there HF, I’m not calling you Judas but I’m feeling mighty betrayed here–you know I love my McSauces.
    HF: My child, I am saving you from yourself. I’m giving you the opportunity to find your strength within. And for the record, the Israelites were more than happy with the feast I miraculously provided. In fact they still talk about it. Now go forth into the world in peace; be of good courage; hold fast that which is good; render to no one evil for evil; strengthen the fainthearted; support the weak; help the afflicted; honour everyone; love and serve the Lord, rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit. You’ll find those instructions in 1 Thessalonians 5:13-22 but of course you knew that.
    Me: Well obviously….. Look, I’ll give the “finding the strength blah blah” thing a little more time. Thanks for listening, in Jesus’ name, Amen………. Hang on Lord, one more thing. If I up the charity, faith, and courage virtues like you have suggested…. can get another kick at the gluttony can?
    HF: My child, the virtues are not to be traded like baseball cards. You have come to me in prayer and I have given you the guidance you seek. Now fuck off, it’s Sunday and I’m up to my arse in doling out forgiveness.

Okay, so maybe God didn’t exactly speak to me but it got me thinking….there will always be temptation but it’s how we deal with it that counts. Admitting that I am a glutton was a big step too. For me, I am learning to be mindful of portions. Sure 800 calories is a bitch to stick to but somehow, I’m magically learning that I can feel amazing on less. It’s a bit like clothing–I’d rather have a few nice pieces that a wardrobe of ill-fitting unflattering clothing. A huge slab of cake might look and feel good at the time but a reasonable portion from the pot of homemade fare geared to low carbs etc. will go the extra mile to make you feel even better. For me this journey is about tapping into the inner strength that I know I have and the resolve that I want to fuel through belief in myself.

And you know what? If you are really feeling weak and tempted–hey, maybe ask that invisible mystery out there for a moment of help. Can’t hurt-

Piously yours,
    Liz

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

I see alot of myself in you Liz – addiction is addiction whether it be food, drugs, drink, sex, etc etc… Most of us wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for one or more or many!! And even just one leads to a slippery path and the always going in circles. The first step in any is admitting we have a problem – the next is sharing that problem and hoping that by sharing we meet others along the way who understand perhaps not your exact addiction but the feeling of it from another perspective. And you are lucky Liz as I’m sure you have already found there a lots of peeps on here who are welcoming and happy to be a sounding board for when things go wrong (and they do) and to celebrate the small victories along the way. I love reading your posts and it is therapeutic to write it down and releasing it to the world at large. Hey world this is me – take me or leave me – I’m trying – and you know what – I admire you and all the others here who open up with their struggles as it does help others to know that they are not the only ones going through it. Good on ye Liz!

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Thank you for making me feel so welcome Canadaliz and everyone else.
    Wishing you all a really positive week ahead, whether you are taking tiny or huge steps on your way to success.
    BTW Canadaliz, you have a truly engaging writing style which, I am sure, has made us all laugh out loud on many occasion. Your ‘sign-offs’ are hilarious. X

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Omg Liz, you’re a tonic! Reading your latest post reminded me of a Christmas present from my skinny-for-life mother ‘Get Slim, Stay Slim – Through Prayer!’ Errrrrrrrrr……

I’m a six month BSD’er, lost 57lbs twixt October 16 and May, went off-forum a month ago to have a summer following low carb, no calorie counting – my previous regime before starting bsd. Diagnosed last July, T2 diabetes meds – which, coupled with the ‘eat starchy carbs or die’ diet advice from GP and diabetic nurse, caused me to gain 3.10 stones and feel worse than I ever have in my life. Now my sugars are stable, head unfuzzed, joints aren’t painful, and my meds intake is minimal – one Metformin a day. Still don’t sleep, but hey ho, feel great.

Am maintaining nicely on 30g carbs and lots of fresh air, water and exercise, and pop back occasionally to pick up tips and stiffen my resolve.

Your posts slapped me in the face like a wet cod fish. I love your attitude and your resolve. Douche canoe? *snorts coffee on keyboard* – and your Saurkraut story had me laughing all day. congratulations on your success so far, long may your canoe paddle in the right direction.

Maharini Kitten (Edinburgh)

Please log in or register to post a reply.