My eight weeks….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lucia
    Meatballs with courgetti for us – though I say it myself they were better than anything M&S can do… added a good dollop of horseradish to the beef mixture and they tasted yummy. Currently resisting the temptation to drink the Henry West on vintage cider in the fridge – not because of the diet, simply because I still have to pick up a daughter so need to drive the car. Might weed the patio instead…

• posted by Sandie
    on

My mood today is damp. Oh so damp. Thank you Lucia for asking.

• posted by AppleBelly
    on

Hi. Does anybody know if I can eat any quorn products? I’m vegetarian and enjoy quorn sausages. TIA

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi applebelly – if you type Quorn in the search box (right hand top corner of the page) it will bring up all previous threads about quorn.
    good luck

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,
    I’m feeling upbeat today (isn’t it great when the week starts on Tuesday?)
    Tea tonight is Atlantic salmon (thank you Aldi) and salad. Lunch was cauliflower soup.
    Plans this week? I’m going to be kind (to the world, to my friends, to myself).
    Have a great day.

• posted by BSD
    on

Applebelly – I use Quorn, once a week ( I replaced one of the lamb and pomegranate recipes in the book). 5 months on 2 stone lighter no longer a Diabetic – worked for me.

• posted by Lucia
    on

I know I keep mentioning how to start the diet, I think once you are on it it’s a lot easier.

What tips can you all share on how you started, especially if you could not convert to 800 calories straight away.

My suggestions are listed in previous blogs but here is another one.

5:2

2 days at 800 calories and 5 days at say, 1200
    Then do three days
    Then four days etc.

It is so easy to find a solution if you want it bad enough.

It’s stamp out diabetes, lets shrink blubber.

Come on gang, we can do this together.

Love lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Izzy
    on

You are so right Lucia.

I jumped right in to 800 but I can see why for some they need to ease in. Your ideas are great. Another idea would be to cut out one thing at a time. Ditch bread this week for example, potatoes the week after and so on.

I’m bounding about like a madwoman today because I am genuinely stunned to have completed 8 weeks. Where did the time go?

and bread? who needs it? it’s so last year.

Have a lovely day πŸ™‚

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,
    I spent a while ‘trialing’ that I could actually do the 800 cal and then jumped in. When I finished the 8 weeks I’ve gone to 5:2 and try to get 12 -14 hours of fasting overnight. On week-ends I can manage 16 hours fasting and eat ‘brunch’ and a night time meal.
    Some days are easier than others but I like how I feel having cut out all of the starchy carbs.
    Hi Izzy,
    Bread? Who needs it? It’s so pre-BSD.
    I’m smiling a lot today, can’t you tell?

• posted by AppleBelly
    on

Thank you for that! I’m now using that search bar for all of my questions!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi gang,
    Thanks for the suggestions on how to start.

I know what I did was read the blogs for many weeks, got the book, read it cover to cover. Fine so far
    But….
    To actually start to do it is a HUGE step.

It’s like going into the sea for the first time, you stay on the shore for oh so long.
    You may paddle.and call it quits.
    But
    When you get into the water, it’s fun, and there are loads of people there swimming with you, or just hanging around catching the Rays. Loads of activities to do, loads to see.
    If you to take that huge step and just go for it, the water is fine, com on in.
    Now look back at the shore, do you see someone else in the waters edge just wetting their toes. Give the, a shout, give them encouragement it’s great.

Now where are my water wings……..

Love luica
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oooooo!
    Quorn.
    Something else beginning with Q to try.
    First it was quinoa now it’s me heading for quorn.will try that soon.

Any more foods starting with Q that I can have a go of?

Love luicaXxxx

• posted by jillyB
    on

Lucia,
    I was reading another couple of posts talking about how good quorn is so decided to google it to find out if we had it in Australia. The good news was “yes”. However, the bad, bad news was another BIG write up which warned people about all the dangers { and there were lots and lots } that the main ingredient, have forgotten the name, which the quorn is derived from, is quite dangerous and listed many things it does to your body, including slowing metabolism…..which we all need like a hole in the head !! I read a bit more because I was thinking perhaps I might risk it, but the more I read, the worse it got. Guess nothing is worth that risk. I don’t want to frighten anyone off, but I would feel very guilty if I didn’t mention my findings.
    Goodnight to all, I’m off to the land of Nod,
    jillyB

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi jilly b,
    Nope, we don’t need me exploding. Thanks for the tip.
    We can all read it, do our research and make our own minds up.
    So all you quorn lovers, please note this is all friendly advice.

Anyway, I wondered through the blogs to see an old pal is back, called string breaker.

I suggested to him and that blog string the following…..

You know your age, well, give yourself the gift of it.
    Eh?

So if you are 50 give yourself 50 minutes of exercise.
    Eg
    Zumba ing, dancing, wii ing, hoping, skipping, jumping, walking, bending, yoga ing, stretching, stepping,
    Basically, moving.
    It’s ok to break to down into sections.
    But just give yourself a gift, you now know how long for each day.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Stil love the pickles comic by Brian crane
    It’s a good one today about not being ‘with it’ and forgetting your texts

They make me laugh.
    I read one a day, like medicine, it does me just fine

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,

That really is a great idea about exercising minute/age.
    But……I can’t help but ponder that this is part of your world domination plan….to sneakily find out the ages of your readers……
    So, I’m off for a 55 minute walk (oops, now you know).
    Very sneaky Lucia….very sneaky indeed.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

42 minutes of exercise for me, Lucia😊
    Mostly running as been too disorganised to get to the Pilates classes – but I have a multi ticket so I won’t have to pay when I do get back there.

Snails explode when fed oatmeal, apparently. They’very been gorging on my dianthus and peas. I sprinkled some oats around my decimated plants tonight and will watch to see what happens – cheaper than feeding them quorn😊

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    You are the same age as me.
    It’s my birthday though on 25 June.
    My birthday I exactly half a year before and after Christmas Day.
    So am making the most of being this age for a little while longer.

A few weeks ago I was cutting my age in half, do you remember, I must have had a mood on me that week.

Love e the idea of me and world domination.
    I would buy all of Michaels books and give them to everyone.

Then rearrange all the supermarket lay outs.
    Have ready sorted meals for 800 cals and 45 carbs a day.

Free classes in exercise with handsome tutors.

Reduce the price of fruit and veg with handsome shop assistants

Build more gyms and meeting places for people to exercise together that don’t have skinny things in reception.

Force kids to breath in fresh air and not spend so much time killing things on computers.
    Ban mobile phones until you are 25. Forcing people to revert back to talking to each other.

Make longer weekends.

Make easy clean ovens.

Develop non ironing clothes, bedding etc.

Self cutting lawns.

Volume control on birds

Timers on birds.

Stop garage mechanics taking a big breath in and shaking their heads, force them to give a clear simple breakdown of the price and a true estimate of when the work will be done.

Have exercise channels on the tv in case you don’t want to go to the gym

Bring back Jane Fonda Lycra and grapevine.

Have a happy onesie minions day..
    Shall I go on……
    Nope, you get the picture.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

42 years old
    You are still only a puppy.
    Love the exploding snails.
    Wonder if hubby will etc some for breakfast…..

Evil laugh whilst twirling moustach

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Wow Lucia,
    You are exactly two months older than me.
    I know what I’ll get you for your birthday…it will assist with ‘the look’ for world domination….mustache wax!
    You’ll be pleased that I approve of all of the things you want to implement when your plot for world domination is fulfilled.
    I especially love the fact that you’re going to buy up all of MM’s books and give them away – when you do this don’t forget ‘TOFI’s’.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Julia18togo,
    You are but a Spring chicken….and you only have to do 42 minutes exercise.(I say jealously trying to remember back to when I was 42).

Snails hate copper (downfall, it’s expensive). I have some copper gardening tape and they will not slide over it (pesky little things).

• posted by Lucia
    on

Morning,
    The sun is shining and all is ok in my world.
    Just had a nice walk now on bus to work, starting late today, but will still be there at 9pm

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

So that’s why we haven’t seen snail wear copper jewellery.
    The great mystery resolved.
    This website is so educational
    Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland

Do you remember the tinga and tucker club?
    With aunty Jean.
    I watched it over here in the 60’s.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Lucia, you’re an inspiration keep it up! To those who feel they can’t jump straight in yet still be a wonderful success.

• posted by Imogen
    on

54…or 55…or thereabouts for me. (I once deducted year or two and then believed it true) πŸ˜±πŸ˜•πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ better get going then!

Think I would like it in Lucialand.

Imogen.x

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    My granddaughters are 5, 8, and 10, they are usually very good at trying new foods, they love chicken goujons, so I was surprised they didn’t want them, also they are usually famished after their swimming lessons and eat everything that is put in front of them, I did wonder if it was the colour, walnuts and Brazil’s and almonds, the mix was very dark.
    Hi Lucia,
    I couldn’t do 68 seconds excercise at the moment never mind minutes, My knees are feeling better, however I am still aching all over and feel drained of energy, I am trying to do all the right things to get rid of this ‘virus’ not sure what to do to get well again, it’s a real downer not feeling great,
    I agree with all your points when you get to your goal of world domination!
    Christine

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Christie 1948.

So you can’t exercise for 68 seconds.

Right, I live a challenge.
    So you have an emotional knee that’s okay.

So while you aware sitting there, (everyone else can join in) can you wiggle your toes?
    Can you point your toes away, then point your heel away, bringing your toes near your shins.

Can you stretch your fingers, can you rotate your wrists both clockwise and anti-clockwise.
    Can you lift each arm above shoulder or head height, reaching for the sky.
    In a sitting position , can you lean forward, and lean backward.
    Can you lean to each side.
    Can you shrug your shoulders
    Can you roll your shoulders forwards and backwards.
    Can you slowly twist your waist trying to look behind your from each side.
    Can you blink, can you open your mouth wide, can you touch your nose with your tongue.

In a sitting position, can you lift your leg up off the chair, just lifting your thigh an inch, then back down on each leg.

Yup, I see you can’t do any exercises with a dodgy knee.

If each of us did these exercises whilst watching telly, nice and slowly, listening to your body, you will know how far or how less to move.

It’s a start.

Keep moving, keep singing, keep losing love
    Luica
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Just do things really slowly, gently, even if you feel like a rag doll, it it for 30 seconds.
    Pick one, pick them all.

The one I like doing is, the diving position.

You stand on the edge of a low stair, or step or strong sturdy book.
    Put your feet in the step and have your heels dangling over the edge.
    Lower your heels an inch, then back up, it’s wonderful for the calf muscles.

I do it on the bottom stair and hold both rails for support.

I pretend I am in the olympics, in the diving competition on the top diving board.
    I am giving Tom Daley a run for his money.

Just don’t jump of the step, do a pike, triple somersault and stuck and land on the floor. ( that’s for next week)

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lucia I am gutted – thought you were going to tell us you’d progressed to the triple somersault!
    And I love your world plan… can you please talk some of your good sense to the politicians and get us all a break from this referendum stuff?

Happy somersaulting in your dreams tonight – would love to see a video camera of what your imagination gets up to in dreams, it’s impressive enough just when you are awake!

Julia

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,
    I don’t think the tinga and tucka club was ever broadcast out here in the colonies. There was a cute program called ‘Romper Room’ that I liked to watch – it was on mid morning. I have very happy memories of it as the set was a pre-school setting and I’d just join in as if I was on set – very cute. Another program came along ‘Play School’, but I’d already started school then. So I got hooked on play school when my children were young. Oh, there was another show in the ’60’s, ‘The Magic Roundabout’, that was great.

Hi Imogen,
    Are you encouraging Lucia with Lucialand? Just quietly, it sounds like a great place to hang out.

Hi Christine,
    I’m probably preaching to the converted but if you have sunshine where you are try and ‘take some sun’ (wow that really does sound posh, doesn’t it?). Obviously don’t get sunburnt but it can lift the spirit.

Breakfast for me today is Plain Greek yoghurt, blueberries, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and cinnamon.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lucia
    A key factor in choosing my flat is that it has a huge feature arch window!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Julia 18 to go

I am not getting into politics here as it feels like a happy place to be.

But as you asked me

I would love to see a true spreadsheet on how much money we pay and get paid from the eu.
    And more importantly his much penalties for breaking the membership.
    It’s like any membership, the gym, Sky, buying a car. If you leave there is always costs.
    They just say an amount.

And what if we don’t have the gym or sky or car any more, what is the impact.

What worries me is, how much the referendum is actually costing. It could give us more nurses instead of hospital admin staff , more police on the beat, instead of police admin staff.

That the end of the politics, each person must vote, with their own opinion.

Now what else,,,,,,, oh I think I am pretty boring. It’s my dreams that are creative and fun.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx
    Ps I apologise for my political comment on a non political website. πŸ˜•

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi frog
    Oh yes, through the arch window. What fun.

Wasn’t it a magical time when we were kids, we had loads of imagination and energy. Now I have neither.

The Tinga. And tucker club were koalas . Aunty Jean had an Australian accent that’s the only reason I mentioned it.

I thought the magic roundabout a little too technical for me.
    I looked the wooden tops spotty dog,
    Andy pandys luby loo.
    Bill and bens little weed friend.

There is a pattern here. I liked the side kicks and not the main characters.
    Love luica
    Xxxx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Quite right to keep the politics off here – I was just thinking THEY could do with some of your advice to get things a little more humorous and grounded, which you seem to be so good at!

Still chucking it down here, so I doubt I will manage my 42 minutes today as I chickened out of my morning run. But there’s always lunch break and after work between ferrying girls to their activities. Pity that fiddle practice doesn’t count as exercise – but moving one arm is a bit feeble for my age and fitness!
    Have a good day all!

Julia

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,
    Bill and Ben the flowerpot men – I loved them – they were great.
    We’ve just had the nicest Winter’s day possible. Clear blue skies, sun shining (obviously) and …….wait for it……23 degrees C in my carport! The carport does have it’s own micro-climate but that didn’t detract from the joy of feeling warm.
    While I was grocery shopping today I realised just how much the contents of my trolley have changed since commencing on the BSD. It’s such a healthy looking trolley now.
    Has anyone else noticed?

• posted by Collie
    on

Yes Switzerland
    I find my shopping trip is shorter , feel like I have missed something , visit fruit and veg , dairy and meat/fish aisle household and coffees – done.
    The rest is rubbish . Oh so different from 6 weeks ago.
    Also I remember bill and Ben and weeeeeeeed!!!, white horses and folly foot farm. πŸΎπŸ™‹πŸ»πŸŒΆπŸ“πŸŽπŸ†πŸ‹πŸŠπŸ—β˜•οΈπŸ˜„

• posted by Gilliancrantock
    on

Well done! You are on your way now. I had to dump the junk and was horrified, looking back, how much sugar I ate in the evening, in front of the telly! I have an orange now!!!!!!!!
    You will find you have good weeks and bad weeks – suddenly on week 5 I felt hungry and very demotivated – but this forum kept me going! I had lots of support with great enthusiasm from the other members, so I struggled on through that week – and boom I was back on track the next week!!
    Today I was shopping and a cashier, who I see quite regularly, but have never spoken to before, suddenly said ” you’re looking great, have you lost weight?” WAHOOOOOOOOO
    Stay strong and positive xx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

OMG Collie, Folly foot – I’d forgotten about that show – I loved it.

• posted by Imogen
    on

🎡🎢🎡On white horses, snowy white horses, let me ride away….away…🎡🎢🎡

that’s me away with the faeries (can’t stop singing that song now), and tripping down memory lane.

Thanks Switzerland, Lucia.

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi BSDErs watching warm up act at Wembley am I the only one on fage yoghurt and berries !!! Come on Coldplay ha !!!

• posted by Lucia
    on

So is anyone else a football widow.
    I think it goes on until 7th July. May get more than a grunt out if him.
    Thinking if standing accidentally in front if the telly when the next girl goes in, I may get a whole sentance but I don’t think I will type it here.
    Glad you are all keeping me company.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

What’s everyone’s favourite colour?
    Has your choice changed over the years?

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

I love stained glass windows.
    The Jewel colours are so alive.

Royal purple moving into cerulean blue does it fir me.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Yogurt and berries still for breakfast.
    Ham salad
    Pork streak and dry fried egg.

Not in the mood to eat today

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,
    I love all things to do with colour – not always mainstream – have even read Goethe’s Colour Theory because the whole thing fascinates me.
    When I feel the need to knit I dye my own wool. That way I can create the exact colour that I want. It’s an art and I’m still evolving. My favorite is to dye a hank of wool in rainbow colours. It makes me feel earth motherish with a dash of mad scientist thrown in!
    Yes, I must say blue turning into purple is great. My head always has an argument with itself going ‘purple, blue, purple, blue or maybe purple.’ The other colour is magenta – you know when violet meets red (always captured in my rainbow wool).
    So…today it’s rainbow blessings for everyone – especially those who really need it.
    Breakfast today – zucchini and pumpkin seed muffin with a spoon of natural yoghurt.
    Lunch – salmon salad
    Dinner – cauliflower pizza.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    Don’t the sheep mind?
    Or do you just dye skeins of wool?
    🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🐏🐏🌈🐏🌈🐏🌈🌈🌈🐏
    Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Felt as if I ate too much meat yesterday’s.
    So starting my veggie weekend now
    Love lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,
    The sheep are safe. I call what I dye a ‘hank’. I don’t know if this is the right word but I get 4 large skeins out of one hank.
    Ooooo…..rainbow coloured sheep would look so pretty.
    We’re in for another wet week-end but I think this time the East Coast Low will form on the south east coast of New South Wales – so it will just be wet.
    Lucia, have you made every week-end a veggie week-end? It makes sense to ‘put aside’ a block of time. We often have meat free Monday.
    Have a good day.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    Yes it feels like a bit of a pattern now.
    I felt that 24 hours wasn’t enough for me.it needed to be longer.
    It may be a fad, but each time I do it I feel it’s better for me and the planet.

I am on holiday for a week, just at home, as the run up to my birthday.

I feel burnt out in work. Very long days. I will have jet lag for a few days, not knowing what to do with myself.

I will work it out by Wednesday, then be in the swing if it when I have to go back to work.

Expecting to rental rain and cliff Richard to sing a few songs during my holiday week.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.