My eight weeks….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne, That really made me chuckle :0 Some people round here have literally had their goldfish swimming on the law as the pond has over flowed!!

Somehow I have always ended up in a house with an overgrown/neglected garden! My last one was, as the local nursery man used to say, 125 years of neglect lol! He said it was impossible to sort it out. After I did he would always embarrass me by shouting out to other customers ‘ see this wee slip of a girl ( I was thin at the time) you wouldn’t believe what she has managed to do……’ My toes used to curl.

Well, at least we end up with a blank canvas ( and hopefully some mature plants) when we tackle the overgrowth. I couldn’t physically do it again so I had better stay put this time πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi, so I walked, after 5000 steps, I have a little 10 mins sit down, off I go.
    My Fitbit does the weirdest thing to my wrist when we get to 10,000, that means lunchtime and a 20 min to 30 mins sit down. The salad I had yesterday, I had again, with boiled eggs mmmmmmmmmm.So then I waddle back the same way I came.
    Making it 20,155 right now and it is only two o’clock. πŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌπŸšΆπŸ»πŸšΆπŸ»πŸƒπŸΌ

Had a good think whilst I was plodding. What a glorious sunny day.

Hope the world is kind to you.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lucia I’m in awe of you. That much walking by 2pm????!!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lucia, 20,155 steps by 2 o’clock! Next thing we know you will be logging in saying you have completed a half marathon!! Don’t though – think of your knees!
    xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

23,851 at half four.
    Marathons, oh NO , they are what made me fat, sorry, gravitationally challenged.
    Twirls and mars bars too.
    πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh, and my doctor once said I had footballers knees.
    I prefer the word cute.
    But I took it as a weird complement .

• posted by hashimoto
    on

What a weird thing for your doc to say ……….
    Wow, those steps keep mounting!!

I’ve been sat on my a… far too long – trying to sort out travel insurance bah humbug!! One site told me I was to old, knickers to them
    Another site refused me when I filled in medical details errggghh
    Another site wanted to charge me …what ?????? ‘You’ve got to be joking….’

Oh well, I’ll get there eventually if I don’t lose the will to live!!!!

I’d rather be walking than sat here pressing keys……. la la la la la

xxxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto,
    You know I told you I had been thinking as I walked.

Well, here’s one.

I am having difficulty with the carbs?
    This poor little fluffy creature, how never wanted to hurt anyone, just wanted to be loved, now, I have to hit it with a. Big stick.

Oh dear, I am so sorry, there poor little mites.

I am trying to imagine them as mosquitos, those buzzing , horrible things, who, as soon as I hear them, I roll a newspaper up ready to swat them.

Carb- squitos.

Told you I was pity.
    Love lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Potty not pity.
    Unless it’s a pity I have been thinking.

Love Lucia.
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Thinking of stuffing a chicken breast with spinach.
    Feeling a little onion may jazz it up.
    I am enjoying my onions these days, wait until I talk shallots.
    Love lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

So you naughty carbs,
    A 4inch raw spud = 284 calories and 64.5 carbs.
    Even if I do a dish with it and share it between hubby and me, it is still 142 calories and 32.3carbs.

How can you do this to me? I thought you loved me.

Cauliflower is a nice quiet friend, this quiet, unassuming, little thing will offer me for 9.3 ounces only 66 calories and 14 Grams of carbs.

I can use cauliflower for the old fashioned dish, mince and mash.

I am so sorry after so long, our relationship has dwindled and is no longer, goodbye potato, goodbye. Think kindly of me
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Carb-squitoes – I’m with you all the way on that description Lucia. In fact it actually made me laugh out loud for real!
    They’re terrible pesky things. Without them I have :
    no acid reflux
    improved asthma
    no flare up of diverticulitis
    no weight gain

I’m beginning to think those nasty little things cause a lot of damage to our bodies.

I laugh in the face of carb-squitoes.

Let’s have spinach yum yum yum I adore the stuff. I must be the only person who used to beg for spinach as a toddler. I think it was something to do with popeye?

xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto,
    I think we could all meet up.
    I would love us all to get together, but as we are so far apart. If we were going to do it say next year, 2017, we need to give plenty of notice to arrange holidays, travel, accommodation etc.
    Could we get Michael to give a lecture? And book signing.

The middle of the U.K., Manchester or Birmingham.
    Somewhere where the accommodation is inexpensive.
    We would need a hall, but how big, in the summer, so we could be outside mostly. Or a few big tents.
    Like a weekend barbecue.
    A few stalls, for Michaels books, recipe books, gadgets such as the spiralizer.
    Food tasting,
    Medical advice on how to test blood.
    Food stalls, herbal teas etc.
    A meditation area.

I merely flick this out there into the ether to see what the universe thinks of it and it it is a GO. Or no.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx
    Told you I had been thinking.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh, and I could wear my size twelve.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

And,

Told you I have been thinking.

You know these jazzy flours, I have heard about.

Which one is the best one, to substitute for corn flour, for thickening gravy etc?

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

You are not alone in thinking that, Lucia!!! perhaps not on as ambitious a scale as you though!

xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Errr, I don’t know. I haven’t been thickening mine!!! More of a jus ( just to pretend to be posh!!)
    xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    If it was jus, then hubby would insist on bread to mop it upπŸ˜•

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Lucia. Love the idea of carb-squitos!

Mosquitos always know I’m on the way and tell their friends, then they sit around waiting for me to arrive so they can bite me. Just like carbs, waiting to make me poorly, raise my blood sugar and gain weight😱

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I wonder if the mozzies will still like my blood now its not so sweet?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Mmmm. Mozzies have always liked my blood too. I read somewhere, years ago, they like type A blood. Wonder if it’s true?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

They certainly like mine – type O!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Old wives tale, then! Dad and I get plagued and we’re both type A so i wondered. πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucia
    on

Don’t you hate the noise they make, a rally nasally tone.
    So loud, you can’t sleep.
    They are so sneaky that even one mm of skin out of bed, they can find it and bite you.
    The itchy lumps that you get, and then the blisters oh, horrible little buggers, not to mention mosquitos,

Right, I am getting to hate carbs now.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto.
    Aim for the stars, so if you only get to the moon you still have a good place to tap dance on.
    Or did I dream that quote!

So the annual meeting of bs800 members and newbies, should be held in cheap season, not school season. How about half a year before and after Christmas Day?
    25 June or nearest weekend?

The following year, if it grows, we can have a circus, tap dancing classes, grow your own veggies, paint your own teeshirt with I hate carbs forever on it. Also a competition on how many carbs in a ?????? Then themes like hug a marrow day. A kissing booth with veggies in. A company that sell scales that don’t lie.
    Or am I now going over the top?

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Boring type O for me too. Hubby never suffers at all though. He’s type O too.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

It’s strange isn’t it? I can be outside with a group of people, as covered up as I can get and I still get eaten alive and have big red lumps which takes weeks to settle – while the people I’m with haven’t got a single bite. I wonder if it is some sort of hormone or chemical we excrete through our skin which attracts them?

It would make a fantastic PhD project for somebody πŸ™‚

Guess I ought to invest in a mozzie net to veil myself in!

• posted by Lucia
    on

The movie called fields of gold.

If you build it, they will come.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto,

The muzzies can smell FEAR?!!?,

Love luciaXxxx

• posted by lauren
    on

Scientists think that it’s to do with the unique bacteria we each have living on our skin (largely dictated by genetics) which produce different chemicals, and some of these smell delicious to the pesky mosquitos – so if you get eaten alive take it as a compliment that you smell great πŸ™‚

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Apparently if you take a vitamin b-something supplement before going on holiday to a mosquito area they don’t like that and leave you in peace. Was told so by a pharmacist when I went to get antihistamines for my bites.

Judith – if having issues with travel insurance it may well be worth getting one of the bank accounts which comes with free travel insurance just for that purpose? Often works out cheaper than buying it separately and you don’t always need to move all your DDs to it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Julia, I considered that but there are still problems with pre existing medical conditions which spike the price alarmingly. I checked moneysavingexpert first. When the travel agent told me I might find I couldn’t get travel insurance and if I could it would be very expensive I thought she must think my medical probs were a lot more serious than they are.
    Well, the good news is I can get insurance – but at a price! I will do a bit more searching and phone a few places tomorrow to see if I can get a better deal. My dad did got cheaper insurance than me when he went to Florida at the age of 88! !
    Thanks for the idea though – it would work for a lot of people. πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucia
    on

Where are you Bill 1954?

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by captainlynne
    on

My granddaughters are identical twins. One (C)gets eaten alive, the other (G) not affected at all. I did say I might take C on holiday with me to protect me from the peskie biting things. Don’t think she’d be happy with that deal though😳

• posted by lauren
    on

They’ve done lots of studies on twins (both identical and non-identical) and reckon it’s about 70% genetic so there will be cases where twins are different – I agree that the poor twin who suffers probably wouldn’t want to sacrifice herself for you though!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Judith – I sympathise. We took my Dad away with travel insurance but without cover for cancer (he had been clear of colon cancer for a while and we reckoned any recurrence would still have him able to get on a plane. It was only for a 2 week period but they were asking megabucks.)
    I had thought that not having cover for the pre existing condition meant no cover. But it just meant we could get cover for anything except things arising as a direct consequence of the previous cancer. So we paid for a standard policy and took him anyway. If he had broken a leg/choked in a restaurant we would have been covered fine.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks julia, that’s interesting, I’ll look into it further. My problem is my ‘ pre existing’ conditions are also current problems – my GPs tell me if I struggle for breath I must call for an ambulance. A heavy fall could lead to an amputation so my consultant said, which could prove impossibly expensive if the worst happened. A big part of me felt like not declaring after I got my first quote, but if I need antibiotics and oral steroids out there I will have scuppered myself.
    I’ll sleep on it xxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia, Some posts ago you mentioned stuffing chicken with spinach and onion…….maybe some pine nuts as well? Oh and when your dream of a get together/conference etc comes true maybe the lectures could be streamed live so those of us in ‘the colonies’ can join in! Best wishes.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,I wanted to plan so everyone in the universe or farther away could plan and come too.
    I would hope we could record the talk and put it on the website.
    Also a new blog title so that anyone that went could share their experience.

I have give the thought a little voice.
    Let’s see if Michael etc can run with it.
    Hope to see you there!

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Natalie
    on

hashimoto I’ve heard that mosquitos bite all people equally (and that rumors like them liking people who’ve eaten bananas, or different blood types, isn’t true) but that some people react a lot more. My son and I come up in huge itchy welts that last weeks, my husband and daughter don’t even notice them.

lucia I thought the quote was “aim for the stars but if you miss you’ll be floating in the vast airlessness of space, asphyxiating within minutes”

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    What about saga or age concern?
    They may have ideas on their websites for insurance cover, as their customers will have had some of these symptoms.

Is there such thing as the British diabetes society?
    Are they worth an email if phone call?

Just another angle for you,

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Natalie,
    Love the space quote.
    But, have you thought, whilst floating around, my weight will have reduced considerably?

If I was in space now I would be well under my eleven stone anything target.
    πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸŒŸβ­οΈπŸŒŸβ­οΈπŸŒŸβ­οΈπŸŒŸπŸŒ—πŸŒ˜πŸŒ‘πŸŒ’πŸŒ“πŸŒ–πŸŒ•πŸŒ”πŸŒšπŸŒπŸŒ›πŸŒœπŸŒ“πŸŒ’πŸŒ‘πŸŒ˜πŸŒ—πŸŒšπŸŒ’β­οΈπŸŒŸβ­οΈπŸŒŸβ­οΈπŸŒŸβ­οΈπŸŒŸβ­οΈπŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€
    Thinking positive.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lucia, saga Β£397 so it’s the cheapest so far! That’s just for a single trip – not a year! I’m not diabetic – it’s other problems I have. πŸ™
    Xxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Natalie – I have been wondering about reactions for a while. As a child I would have itchy lumps for a day or two. By 30s it was 2 or 3 weeks by 40 2 or 3 months – and the lumps are bigger and quite painful for a week or so. I’ve been with people who don’t even feel any bites so is that because they have no reactions?
    When I lived in Oman one poor women developed, over time, a severe reaction to ant bites – the rest of us couldn’t even feel them.
    My dad’s reaction could have been due to the fact he had malaria three times during the 2nd world war, his mozzie bites were horrendous and he often had a return of malarial fever during my early childhood.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Judith – Β£397? Gulp! But it seems you are ahead of the game if you have gone straight to money saving expert. And sorry to hear of other problems which are clearly making the premium sky high.

Lucia et al – lovely morning in Edinburgh today following the snow and hail etc of the weekend. Pity I am stuck in an office today! Had a foul night’s sleep after just a half glass of red last night with friends who were round. The only other thing it might be is the slice of wholemeal spelt flour bread I indulged in (first bread in I don’t know how long). I think Christine and Judith have both noticed ill effects after deviating from BSD – but it was the first time I have noticed this. Of course, it may just have been the stimulating company but I had racing dreams all night and was up for a couple of hours at 2, unable to sleep. Have had my egg and lots of chai tea to keep me awake this morning.

Have a good day, all.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Julia, I was refused by the first company, so relieved when I got a quote from the second. For a split second. I saw it was almost Β£700!!! Could have given me a heart attack then I would have had something else to add to my list lol. Gee that quote is about the same price as a ticket to Oz!!!! πŸ™

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Julia I was really stupid a few days ago. I was tidying my kitchen cupboards and was about to throw out a Christmas cake when I decided to have a sliver before binning (still in date). Thinking it can only have a tiny amount of flour as it’s so fruity. I am still paying for it with awful stomach cramps. I’ve been so well on this diet I thought I might get away with it. WRONG!!! πŸ™

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Hashimoto, mosquitos and midgies just love me, and I always get bitten and they take ages to go. In the summer I head indoors in the evening and I close doors etc at dusk keep them out of the house! Before I go to bed I do a mozzie patrol with a rolled up newspaper and if I see one, I won’t go to bed till it is eliminated. If I have missed one, or one found the open bedroom window (have to have one window open) and I hear it, I wake up. That’s it – I wont sleep again till I have got it!
    I can remember a holiday on the west coast of Scotland as a kid, my brother even got them in his hair (he is blood type AB), I was less badly effected, but still well nibbled and am blood type O.
    There was a report on who attracts mosquitos on Spring Watch last year and one presenter was a ‘high’ attracter, one medium and one they ignored. I can’t remember the logic, it was not blood type but there is a genetic component that can be inherited.
    My anti midgie cream is in my bag for my holiday to Orkney in 2 12 days, it should be too early for them, but if there is one awake there, it will find me :-).

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Hashimoto, I can’t find the beginning of your thread on holiday insurance :-(. Is this a one off trip and within Europe and for how long? There should be better deals than that, I am surprised Saga is so high, they have a reputation for being fair!
    Have you tried the Post Office? They were the only ones that would cover my brother who was in remission with cancer at a sensible price.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi orchid it’s a one off trip to australia, so chronic late onset asthma combined with bronchiectasis and multiple allergies is an issue esp on a long haul flight. Also got other medical problems, I was a bit shocked at how many when I had to list them. You just get on with life, I see myself as fit and healthy but obviously risk assessments don’t know me!!!
    I’ll just have to bite the bullet or not go! And I’m definitely going! πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.