My eight weeks….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Hi orchid,
    I’ve never been a big fan of mushrooms, however my tastes are changing and I am trying to be a bit more adventurous now that my taste buds aren’t soaked in sugar half the time 🙂 Thanks for the tip

• posted by orchid
    on

hi Merry Mary,
    with fats no longer off of the menu, a little butter on the mushroom makes it very tasty!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi merry Mary,
    You say you are saddened not to have wonderful ice cream on Hol in September. Why?

There is a weird fraction that has been flung about. Let me introduce you to it.
    80/20
    Be good 80 per cent of the time, ease up on yourself 20 per cent.
    So be good between now and September, then when on holiday, have an ice cream as you deserve that, if that is what you want, you know it will only be a few times on holiday, then you are back into the fold. Back with the team and getting back with the programme.

I cannot see in Michaels book that you have to be perfect. My goodness I tried it, and got my knickers in a right twist.nthats why I had a day of eating right but not weighing everything. It topped my batteries up no end.

In fact I would even suggest a flake or sprinkles too if you want them.
    You are saying now that you know it isn’t the best for you, so you have already learned the best lesson.

Enjoy yourself.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Agreed Lucia
    In these situations, you have to ask yourself what would Dr Mosley do? He believes in moderation so he’d say have the ice-cream – while on holiday!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi gang,

Just did a bit of meditating befor coming onto the site.
    Just lying on the bed, relaxing everything then focused on my breath, in, out, in ,out
    When I naughty problem popped into my mind, I gave it a hug and sent it away.
    Then back to the breath, in. Out. In. Out.

It isn’t easy, I tried to do my shopping list, made a mental note to dust the ceiling lampshades,

Then breathing. In. Out. In. Out

Then thought, if I move the suitcase from the top of the wardrobe , I could store some blankets in the case, and put it back.

Then breathing. In. Out. In. Out

Baby steps, but at least I have started.

I am hoping it helps me to stop getting so intense about everything.
    Love luci a

Xxxxx

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Lucia, that is exactly what happens to me lol 🙂
    I invent new recipes, notice a cobweb, remember I need to sew up the hem of middle girls school dress ( she picks at them while sitting on the mat listening to her teacher), write shopping lists, wonder about re painting the kitchen walls and how to talk an already busy hubby into it.
    Penny called it ‘ monkey mind’ very apt 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lucia, Penny also said it ‘is not possible to succeed, it is the trying that is your success’ . I sort of get that now – while you try to ‘be mindful’ you become very aware of how much your mind jumps around and you make an effort to refocus – that is a success in itself. My mind can jump about for ever but I am finding this mindfulness thing has been working for me. 🙂

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    I did a bit of yoga or should I call it Loga, as it is my own weird version, the I did mindfulness. Boy the title is right, mind full of mess .
    With yoga , I am trying now to stretch just an extra half inch.
    With mind full mess I am trying to focus on a blackboard, with nothing on it.
    Just a blackboard, , just a black board.
    I have tried to concentrate on a poem about not giving up.
    Reading each line and trying to understand the meaning, slowly, breathe, slowly, breathe.

Getting there.

Bill 1954, how’s your yoga coming along?
    🙅🙆🙅🙆🙅🙆🙅🙆🙆🙆🙅
    Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh, and I had a really professional moment…

I was asked about carbs and fats and protein as they couldn’t understand them.

I said protein was the energy you put in the engine.
    A little fat, is the lubricant to keep the engine going,

Carbs are the polystyrene chips or nuts, that are the packaging that you have when you open the box when you get the new engine, are no use, just throw them out, but they are sneaky little buggers, as no matter how you try, you will find one slipping into the engine. Ha, ha. Lol.

I am a genius.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by orchid
    on

great analogy Lucia 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

What a fantastic way of describing it Lucia – you are a born teacher!! 🙂

• posted by Lucia
    on

Do you know how long it has taken me to understand that my brain washed idea that
    I need carbs for breakfast eg cereal,
    I need carbs for lunch eg butties,
    I need carbs for dinner eg pasta or potatoes.
    Is not true

Do you know the sun actually rises if I don’t have carbs.
    WOW! That’s a biggie.

Have go, at reducing them, try and do without them, but they are little sneaky – weakys. They will get into your food no matter what.

Do your best, have a try.
    I feel better without them.
    It just take a long time for my brain to understand this.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Can you tell I have got info on carbs?

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Imagine the scene.

My name is Lucia, skinny Lucia. (In a James Bond tone)
    Well, doctor strange-scales, we meet again.
    You think you can play your mind games on me.
    You think you can throw me a plateau, just when I am feeling happy.
    Well, I have news for you, you and your plans are toast. (Carbs pun)
    I have a a bid on a new set of scales, so you will be a thing of the past.
    (The skinny secret agent 0012 , glides gracefully over to doctor strange-scales, in one stealth move, grabs him and tosses him out of the bathroom window, a crashing sound below)

I will take that hot water, shaken, not stirred.

Love Lucia
    Xxx
    What do you mean, I should get out more 😎

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I love it, Lucia! You really should be a writer, a novelist, you have a unique and witty way with words and ideas 🙂

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lucia I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing. I cannot tell you how big a support it is reading your posts. Even though I have been following this way of life for 4 months now I am no expert and still have days when I am just hanging in there or being downright NON BSD. But you keep me sane and never fail to give me perspective. All of which has helped me to keepisode on losing. I was told tonight that 12.5 kilos is a pound off 2 stone.
    Have a brilliant weekend😊

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi gang,
    I now love plateaus, they give me a wonderful kick in the pants. Then just when your bottom lip comes out, it happens.
    It’s just like being put into a brown paper and given a good shake.
    I love it.
    Do you remember the bags of crisps and the salt came in a blue paper twist? You had to undo it , empty it into the crisps and give it a good shake. Well that’s how I feel about plateaus.

This damn computer just said I liked platipus. I may like them, I don’t know any personally.
    Have I gone off on another tangent?

Glad you all think I am sane.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

So, set the scene, a dangerous mission is ahead. We may not come back alive.
    You have to get th correct combination.
    A bead of sweat appears on my brow.
    I reach for the lethal substance, I only need a small amount, too much and I could blow this whole building sky high.
    Easy does it, little by little, the needle points to the red , danger area, omg, another bead of sweat. Will I be able to complete this mission. So much depends on it.
    Carefully now, my hands start to shake, just a little more, the needle is among touching the red, just one more tiny amount. My mouth is dry, my hands shake a bit more, I wipe my forehead, with a tissue. I think I can make it.
    Yes, just a tiny bit more.
    Phew, all done , the danger is over.

Anyone else having problems weighing the right amount of cheese?

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

My goodness skinny secret agent 0012 – I wondered what you were doing – measuring cheese – none of us get to be skinny secret agents 00anything without measuring cheese. Isn’t it tricky, especially block cheese.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Falling off the wagon.
    What an expression, why do we fall off the wagon?
    Why don’t we shut the tailgate, or sit further into the middle of the wagon.

Is we feel as though we may eat too many calories or too many carbs or sugar. Why don’t we make sure those little critters are locked away or not even in the building?
    Why don’t we push ourselves further into the safety of our little blog community?

Or even better wear a safety belt, tellEVERYONE including the know it also, who can recite chapter and verse of how many calories are in your eyelash. Then if you go near the naughty stuff, you get bombarded with many sharp intakes of berth or a crazy figure yelled at you. DONT YOU KNOW THERE ARE SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY SIX CALORIES IN THAT SANDWICH..,.,.,….?????
    Works very time.

Keep the wagons curling, we may just get out by the skin of our teeth.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Can you tell I am bored as the telly is rubbish tonight?🤓😐😒🤗🙁😕😟😟
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Good morning team,
    Got up early, made the bed, cleaned the bathroom, done two loads of washing, hoovered right through, washed dishes, sorted breakfast, got meals out for weekend, washed the car, lawns cut, it’s only 9:30am.
    Where oh where am I getting the energy from?

I heart you Michael Moseley .

See I am even fashionable with my speech.

Now I am going for a walk the long way around to the shops.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh and whilst I was doing my chores I was singing the tune to … Mission impossible.🎶🎶🎶🎶🙂🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🙂

Keep happy, it’s sunny but very cold here.
    Love Lucia

Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lucia!! you will make us all hang our heads in shame!!! Well at least I feel OK about not mowing the lawn! It started off sunny but is pouring down. Trudged through a squelchy lawn to open the greenhouse doors. Washing will have to wait for dry weather again!! I’ll carry on sorting my photos into albums – that will keep me busy for a long time!!! 🙂

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto,
    Are you just sorting photos……or are you sorting photos with a twist? Shake, rattle and roll.
    Are you boogie-ing down,
    Play some funky music while you are sorting, it’s bound to get you twitching, then shimmy-ing.

Go girl it girl, strut you stuff.

Oh and it’s still sunny but very cold here.
    I have the washing still out ,the Windows are open but I have the thickest fluffiest billet on, oh and my nose is cold too.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh, I just came in for a drink, about to dig the borders now to get rid of those weeds.
    Will put grass seed down on the patches and feed everything. I can hear my flowering cherry tree straining….. Waiting for my first but if sugar pink blossom to open. I have been watching for two weeks. Mike next doors one starts a good week before mine every year unless……… This year I may just beat him. Come on blossom, move your blooming arse!!
    That was a quote from the movie my fair lady, when they are at the racecourse.
    I apologise if it is inappropriate.

Also

Where the devil did I get this energy from?

Michael I wish you could bottle your magic, you could be a millionaire by tea time.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lucia, what does hubby make of all this energy??? xxx

Lucia, it’s only raining here – it’s snowing where captainlynne lives lol it’s only mid april after all!!
    Well, my peach tree, greengage and plum are in full blossom but the cherry trees across the road are not. My patch in the lawn is seeded – great minds think alike. At least I won’t have to water it!! Every cloud and all that…. 🙂
    Yes, I’ll strut my stuff but daren’t have the music on too loud – apparently my book on ‘heal your own knees’ that pmshrink advised is due to be delivered today so I daren’t make too much noise in case I miss it! Haven’t dared go out for my paper either!!
    xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto,

He just thinks he’s living with a lunatic. 🤔

I feel as though this weather is leading us to Easter, not that we have passed it already.

I tell you one thing I have noticed, the mating sound of the lawn mower……

When you hear one, slowly you hear another one in the distance , then another, then another. All calling to one another. These are a rare breed , you never catch a glimpse of a few of them together……

No, I do not think it is the wife saying, well so and so is mowing his lawn, making ours look so untidy, go on husband , get out there and get our lawn cut. 🙃🙃🙃🙃

Oh, and I am going to do something strange with mince for lunch, haven’t the foggiest idea, but I am sure it will come to me.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lucia and Bill1954 I’ve been looking forward to an opportunity to say this; RFLMAO (hope that’s right)

I switched the TV on while I sat down with a cup of nice herbal tea, Saturday Kitchen was on, presenter to a caller “Hello Helen, what’s your name?”
    I’m still chuckling!!

Well you won’t hear many mowers like mine Lucia – it’s my dad’s old 1940s push along mower. Gives the lawn a fantastic cut – no petrol fumes to make me choke, no electrical cables to trip me up! Hard work but I love it. My dad used to use it to mow the half acre of lawn in my last house ( this house has just one small lawn) there is no way I could do more than my little lawn with it. At least it gives me a work out Lucia!!! I thought it might be lonely but it may be able to talk to the 1950s mower across the road that my friend’s hubby uses!

Mince – chilli? Mince and pea curry? Rissoles/burgers? Mince with cauli mash? Ragout with courgetti Bolognese? So many things one can do with mince!

Well back to the photos. Still waiting for the book – and the peak flow monitor I ordered for my dad. In five years he has only had one ‘annual’ asthma review. Over the phone. ‘Are you ok?’. What could he say? How can he know? But to me his breathing has got worse over the last three months.

Well, the sun has got his hat on at last, hip hip hip hooray!!
    xxx

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lucia
    It’s sunny here too! Not looking forward to the midnight homecoming on Sunday night, I believe it’s really cold?
    As usual we will be hitting the ground running, however I will look forward to getting on the scales on Monday morning, then sigh in dismay when I see how much weight I have put on!
    Christine

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Christie 1948.
    If those scales give you any problems throw them out the bathroom window, I did.
    Just waiting to see if I have a new set on the way.

Don’t worry about weight, just get into the flow of it all.
    I had a plateau yesterday. Am I worried? Nope. Just getting in with it all.

I am now able to walk 20,000 steps in a day on the weekend. A month ago, I got out of breath just going into the kitchen,

Please share descriptions of your meal plans. It helps us all.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh and my salad today has
    Silver skin pickles.
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Red onion
    Spring onion
    Carrot
    Celery
    Pineapple
    Peppers
    Beetroot
    Pickled cabbage
    Sun dried tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Beef tomatoes

Ha.
    Beat that!!!!😮😄😄😄😄😄😄😄☹️🙁😒😘😑🙂😏😘😑😗🙂😠🙄😗😗☹️🙃😡😛😠🙃😕😛🤔🙂☹️🙃😵😛☹️😠😍😰Love Lucia
    Xxxa

• posted by Lucia
    on

hi Hashimoto

I used one of those fan-dangled new gizmo thingies.
    It makes a carrot and zucchini into spaghetti.

Just steamed it and put the mince and tomatoes on the top.

I am so proud of myself , look at that meal , not a chip butty in sight.

Going giddy now.

I am the chef master. I have mastered the chef-ful-ness of it all.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ooh, Lucia, I bow to the masterchef!! I lurve my spiraliser! It’s so easy to make a quick meal – vegetable ‘spaghetti’ with cream cheese stirred in and a sprinkling of parmesan. Cheap and cheerful.

Hopefully you have some mince to put in your freezer to make it again!!

You can spiralise white(or red) cabbage, onion and carrot – stir in a mix of plain yoghurt and a bit of mustard – fabulous BSD cole slaw! Oh, but I add the yoghurt at the point of eating it and then the coleslaw veg stay fresh and crisp in an air tight bag in the fridge!

I’m onto the final batch of photo’s – but now the sun is showing his face again I’ll pop outside to do a few jobs there 🙂
    xxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

20,000 steps!!! Lucia you put me to shame!!! That is utterly fantastic xxx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lucia – is the spiralizer gizmo you have any good? I have a small handheld one like a pencil sharpener but it is slow and practically kills me every time I use it. I have looked at the ones which sit on suckered feet on the worktop but there seem to be conflicting reviews over their effectiveness. Good investment or do I stick with the cheapo handheld one?

Your meal sounded lovely.

I am a happy bunny today – had some cheesecake and a wee bit of ice cream last night as it was my daughter’s birthday. Oh the wickedness…. but I still lost another 600k since my previous loss just 3 days ago😊 Yet only a few weeks ago I was also at a looooong plateau. So hang in there!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Julia, hope you don’t mind me jumping in … I spent a lot of time researching spiralisers and as I have arthritis in my hands I wanted a gravity fed one as they are easier to operate. The one I got is called cuisique, I ordered it from amazon. It has a jug which catches all your spiralised veg instead of it going on the worktop/floor 🙁 I really like it 🙂

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Judith – not at all . I only noticed your post after posting mine (it takes me ages with the phone rather than the laptop). Very useful info, thanks. I’ll take the plunge and buy one. I am often cooking for 5 in a hurry after work and the one I have takes ages to do 1 courgette. I am finding that the family will eat low carb provided there is enough to fill their plates – in practice that means a huge mountain of courgetti!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

And I just realised I am having self correct problems when I type too… 600k in a previous post was supposed to be 600g ! But I daresay that was obvious. It took me just over the 2 stone total loss. Slower than many but I have not been as good as you guys. Most importantly, however, I am sticking to the low carb principles for life. I have 8 kg to get back to my wedding weight which I had previously thought totally unachievable – thanks St Michael Mosley for showing so many of us the light at the end of the tunnel!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi julia18togo
    I am going to get a spiraliser when I get home from hols, they sound like a good idea! I often have to cook for family too.
    Thank you Judith for the info! Any idea how much they are, I still have birthday money!! to spend?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Julia
    That’s a great weight loss, the plan is working when so many others have failed for us all. Do you still have your wedding dress to try on?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi julia and christine at the moment they are on offer at the moment – £30 instead of £70. 🙂

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi julia18togo
    Jealous! I only have to look at forbidden food and I put weight on! However I will be gracious and say – well done you! I hope it keeps coming off for you
    Christine

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Next stop Amazon for that spiralizer! That’s too good a deal to miss☺ thanks so much Judith!

Janet – wedding dress was tried on by my 16 year old daughter the other night. It almost fits her but she is not as tall as me yet. I must say I am rather more keen on fitting into a Monsoon teal silk dress I wore as my going away outfit. I kept it as I had never before (or since!) had anything so nice and although 19 years have passed it doesn’t look at all dated because of the classic fitted styling. I am determined to borrow Lucia’s (not to mention all the other equally focused souls on the forums) grit and get there, hopefully by the summer. However, not doing this for the dress, although it is a bonus. My biggest motivation is to avoid the diabetes which plagues so many in the family. I have been lucky to have got away with normal blood sugar levels up to now but knew with the weight I was carrying and the family genes it was only a matter of time.

Christine – hope the break has been excellent and the diet damage not too bad! You may just be pleasantly surprised when you step on those scales😆

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Christine I think it’s only ice cream I can get away with… it is only really the proper homemade Italian stuff which tempts me and I find if I just stick to (for example) chicken and non starchy veg I can get away with it as a dessert on the odd occasion and still lose weight. My dad worked out years ago through copious b s testing that he could have minestrone soup then meat and veg followed by ice cream without it spiking sugar levels. It is because the low GI of the beans and veg balances out the higher GI of the gelato. Might not work for all but certainly if you are going to be naughty I would say best balance is to do it at the end of a ‘good’ meal rather than as a separate snack? As Bill says though, onwards and upwards! (a pity shrinkwards isn’t a word!)

• posted by Lucia
    on

Good morning all,
    The sun is shining after a very frosty start.
    The sun set last night , dawn and the sun rise this morning there all just beautiful.
    Been out playing, sorting things now to go for a long walk, aiming for 20,000 again.

Speak tonight.
    Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Morning Lucia,
    the frost has melted from my lawn, the sun is shining the little wrens and sparrows are busily feeding their young in the hedge near my patio doors. So happy to see the sun!
    XXXXX

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning. After all four seasons in a day yesterday 😱 The sun is shining today😃

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good morning Lynne! A bright and sunny day here too. Thank goodness!!! Although I still can’t walk across my lawn without squelching! 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith😃 When I moved in last year the garden was so overgrown I thought I might find lions or tigers in it. After yesterday I think it might now be alligators LOL

Please log in or register to post a reply.