Motivated March'ers

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Hey there! Sounds like people are doing really well!! CD – congrats – It’s so unbelievably awesome when you hit a milestone like that. I have 4 lbs to go before I hit 10 percent – I have three weeks (almost) to go – fingers crossed, but as you say, if I don’t, that’s fine. It’ll happen.
    I’m still stunned at how amazing this plan is – not just the weight loss, but as Buttermeup says – there are so many benefits, they’re hard to describe. Sleeping, attitude (my husband says I’m a different person), clear head, lack of pain (that’s been the biggest and most profound change in my opinion. This has never happened to me before on any plan. All these years, I’ve known, deep down, that sugar was the problem (my problem) and it’s taken until my late fifties for the penny to finally drop!! I was going to type “what a waste”, in fact I did type it, but erased back over it. It was a waste of sorts, but I can’t look back – I can only look forward to a happier, healthier, more active and thinner me. I’m looking forward to summer for the first time in YEARS. I’ve always dreaded warmer weather because it meant swimsuits, sleeveless tops, sun dresses, skirts, shorts or capris – all things I couldn’t/wouldn’t wear. This year will be different – I will still have plenty to lose, but will be so much better than past years and will have the knowledge that this time, my goal is attainable.
    Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I will keep coming here and hope you all do too. Happy Monday.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Now it’s my turn to wonder where people are!! Perhaps off for the week?? I’ll be off work tomorrow until next Monday – really looking forward to the break. Still on plan and no plans to deviate this weekend. I’ll be making deviled eggs, white cheddar, hummus and turkey roll-ups and possibly some sparkling water infused with fruit flavored tea to take with me to the Easter family gathering on Sunday. Shouldn’t be difficult to stay on plan, though I may be over on calories. Just two weeks to go ’til I reach eight weeks. Still cannot believe I’ve been on plan this entire time – not without temptations either. I noticed, in the past six weeks, only one of them was without some kind of gathering – I’ve had 3 dinner parties, 1 anniversary party, 2 birthday gatherings (both involving chocolate cake), two dinners out and a happy hour with co-workers to contend with. Somehow, miraculously, I’ve stayed on plan and only once did I eat close to 1,000 calories in a day (that was due to eating too much cheese at a party). Now, I’m preparing for the next phase: I think I’ve decided to do 5:2 BSD – I’ll eat 800 calories twice a week, then, the rest of the week, will follow the principles of the plan but not worry about calories. I don’t plan on introducing any of the five un-recommended foods until I reach my target weight and that’s quite a long way off. After a four-week break, I’ll be back for Round 2. I just purchased “The Obesity Code” and will spend the long weekend reading that. Has anyone here read it? What’s your opinion? Well, hopefully, I’m not talking to myself here, but if I am, I hope it’s because you’re all out having a wonderful time. Happy Easter everyone.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Sorry Phreckles, quiet because I am ashamed of falling off the wagon badly last weekend after difficult week on two family fronts. Shot up to 16st 10lb from 16st 5lb.

Renewed my resolve starting Monday and back down to 16st 6lbs this morning. So relieved that I can get on track again.

I’m really pleased for you and your achievements, and your plan sounds a good ‘un. My plan is to do one week of 6 days plan and one unregulated, the next week 5 days plan and 2 unregulated down to the 5:2 plan. I am worried about a rebound so will take it slowly.

Not sure about that book. I trust Michael and the Newcastle team rather than Fung, but that’s possibly my prejudice.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Oh Fletchrf!! don’t be ashamed!!! It could so easily have been me who had a rough period – I’m just lucky it wasn’t. You know it was just water weight and one or two days back on plan obviously took care of it. As everyone has told me, this is for life, so a few days detour is nothing but that…a detour. You’ve learned something from it and can now forge ahead on your journey.
    I like your post 8-week plan too – I’m just going to experiment for the first couple of weeks and see where it takes me. I’m actually quite nervous of stepping away from the 8 week BSD cocoon, so I’m planning like crazy. I’ve found some great meals (a little higher in calories but totally BSD friendly) that I can make on weekends and have through the week.
    As for Dr. Fung – his book was recommended reading in the Facebook page – Life after 8WBSD, Mediterranean style! So I thought I’d give it a look – I’m 11% in and learning a lot – it’s a little scary at the moment though as I’m reading the part that talks about the Minnesota Starvation experiment and what it did to the metabolisms of those men. I’m hoping for some good news in that regard when I get further into the book. I’m not reading it because I’m going to be following a new plan – I trust MM too. I just want to have as much knowledge (accurate knowledge) as possible.
    Anyway, happy you’re back on plan and posting here.
    Have a great weekend.

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Well done both of you, you are both an inspiration.

I am now just starting my 5th week and have lost a stone the first 4 weeks. Found it tough, for some reason, middle of last week. I haven’t the excuse of special occasions! Anyway, I ate a little more but still lost a pound so happy enough. Back on track now.
    I hope to lose between 12-14 pounds in the next four weeks then holiday in Scotland, can’t wait. My BMI is now 25.2. so just on the verge :-D.

How are other members of this group doing, well I hope.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Firecrest – you’re doing so well!! I’m totally jealous of your BMI – I’m months away from that. But, I’ve no doubt I’ll get there. At this point, my initial goal is to be in the “overweight” category rather than “obese.”
    I’m also jealous of your upcoming holiday in Scotland. I just adore that part of the world. My husband’s way back ancestors are Scottish – Crawford – but that was before the revolutionary war here in the US so him thinking he’s Scottish is a bit of a joke ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m actually more Scottish than he is – my great-grandfather was a Fullerton and born there before he moved to Ireland. But, hubby doesn’t care – he’s Scottish and that’s all there is to it ๐Ÿ™‚ His older brother is even worse.
    Anyway, best of luck to you in the next four weeks – I sincerely hope you make your goal.
    Take care.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Wow Firecest 25.2! Very nearly there – I should say.

But…… you’ve got me thinking.

I have moved from BMI 33 to 30.3. BMI 25 will be 13 st 7lb. That will be 61lb total loss, and I’ve lost 20lb so, only 2st 13lb to go. Have just worked it out that I’m a third of the way there! That is really encouraging after 5 weeks. Last time I took 2 years to lose 70lb.

Thank you Firecrest.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Phreckles,
    Keep going, you’re doing great!

If you get a chance, read Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz, it goes into the history of why the world thinks like they do about fat in our diet and proves that it is sugar, not fat that is evil.

It’s similar to Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, but an easier read.

Also, check out this article I found on Facebook:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/

I posted it on another thread, but you may not have seen it.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Thanks both. To be fair my BMI was only about 27/28 when I started this diet but a few years ago it was around 30. I managed to lose about 22 pounds and kept most of it off. I hope this diet will get me down to my original weight of between 8.5 stones to 9 stones. (I am only little!) I will then be in the middle of my healthy weight range.

Phreckles, I am so pleased this diet is working for you. You are right to think of it in “stages” I think, I know I did, it does make it easier to succeed. You are doing a brilliant job and sound so positive.
    I am really looking forward to Scotland, only for a week but I am very excited! We are going to the Isle of Seil near to the Bridge over the Atlantic. I certainly cannot claim to have any Scottish ancestors. ๐Ÿ™‚

fletchrf you are doing REALLY well. You have lost so much weight so quickly. As I said, my BMI was not too high when I started. It’s all relative ๐Ÿ˜€
    Best of luck to you both.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Just to feed back some positive news. Strictly has done it this week so, down to 16st 4lbs this morning, so that’s the 5lb backslip + 1 more pound off since Monday. Pride restored.

• posted by Buttermeup
    on

Good morning Marchers ๐Ÿ™‚ Just a quick update now that I’m moving into week six. My belly button measurement is now 34 inches so that’s an astonishing total loss of 6 inches. Three more weeks to go and I am planning on increasing my daily activity levels, hoping I can get this belly down closer to 30 inches.
    Keep on keeping on everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Hi, there folks. Hopefully we are all just getting on with it rather than posting. Have been plateauing again, but finally made it down to 16 stone. 10 cms off waist and people are noticing which is always rewarding.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi fletcherf

Well done, how long has that taken, 10 cms of your waist, that’s a lot of the very bad fat gone, that makes us so poorly. Bril
    ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™‹

• posted by fletchrf
    on

6 weeks and a couple of days. It’s 26lb, despite some family crises. I might even go in the the pool on holiday in three weeks!

• posted by poodlefrenzy
    on

Hi everyone first time posting. Previously had BMI 30 and after a year of slow dieting now BMI 27 as I start my first day of BSD. Feeling very motivated and buoyed to read the positive comments here. You are all amazing! And it is so inspiring to read about slips which are then recovered. Looking forward to being part of this group – even though I hadn’t quite started in March….

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Welcome poodlefrenzy. You’re almost there anyway. Mad dash for the finishing line? Good luck.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Hello Marchers!!! How is everyone today? Welcome Poodlefrenzy – you’ll love it here – we don’t post often (I think we’re all quite busy) but when we do it’s good stuff. FlethcherF 26 lbs. in six weeks is phenomenal. I’m at the end of my seventh and down 22 lbs. Not to shabby either I’d say ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m waiting until the last day of the eight weeks to take measurements. I know I’ve lost inches – the trousers I’m wearing today used to be tight across my thighs and hips and you could see some of my foot/ankle area. This morning, they’re totally loose all around the hip and thigh area and are covering the tops of my shoes – funny how clothes get longer as you lose inches ๐Ÿ˜€

Buttermeup – you’re doing amazingly well too! I’d say Motivated Marchers is an excellent name for our group.

LindaA – thanks for the kind words of support and the book recommendation. I finished The Obesity Code – (man that books make me angry – to think of all the people who followed their Dr’s advice and ended up getting sicker and sicker – so infuriating) I’ve now purchased and just begun the book you recommended – The Big Fat Surprise. Knowledge is power!! Right? I had seen the post about Sweden a couple of weeks ago – I printed it out to show my husband and keep on the fridge for future reinforcement.

A little anecdote: On Easter Sunday, we went, as planned to my in-laws – I made deviled eggs to bring as my contribution – and two bunches of tulips but I didn’t eat those ๐Ÿ˜€ Anyway, they were serving baked ham, roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, both of which I ate, and other not on plan foods which I avoided. I drank water and nothing else – even passed on the sparkling wine. On the drive home I was incredibly sleepy – I thought it was because I ate more than I normally do. I took a nap when I got home and woke up feeling less tired but a little on the queasy side. My adult kids wanted to have the evening meal with us so we put some lamb chops on the BBQ and roasted some asparagus as well as a lovely green salad. I was still feeling queasy but ate dinner and drank LOADS more water – it seemed to help. The next morning, my legs, for the first time since I started this plan, were sore and stiff when I got out of bed. I went to work, but the queasiness turned to nausea and a headache and I just had to go home. I went to bed, fully dressed, covered up with loads of blankets, even a down duvet, but it still took me ages to warm up. I eventually fell asleep and slept for hours. When I woke up later in the afternoon, I still felt a bit queasy but it wasn’t as bad. I had some leftover roast chicken and cabbage because I hadn’t eaten all day. I did feel better then and the following day I was back to normal – and down 2 lbs. In retrospect – I believe the ham I ate, must have been sugared in some way. I didn’t realize it at the time, but since nobody else had my symptoms, it must have been some kind of food reaction and it can only have been sugar. So now, I think I know what happens to my body when I eat sugar – talk about a pretty good incentive to avoid the nasty white stuff!!!

OKAY!! I’m in the last day of my seventh week. Just one week to go before I venture away from the 8WBSD – YIKES!!! Scary prospect. I so want to do this right! My concern is that I’ll be too scared of regaining to eat the appropriate number of calories. My current strategy is to eat to plan five days a week, but increasing my calories and then 500 calories twice a week as in MM’s 5:2 plan. If I start to gain, I may switch to five days a week on 800 calories and two days of eating to plan with out counting calories. Does anyone have any idea how many calories I should aim for? Last year, when I did 5:2 I counted calories on non-fast days but only ate between 1100 and 1200 – I’ve since learned that wasn’t the best way to do it as my calories, even on non-fast days were still too low. I don’t want to make that mistake this time, but I also don’t want to eat too much. This really is scary territory for me so any advice will be welcome.

Sorry this has been such a long post!! I’ll try to be more succinct in future posts.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Well done Phreckles. I’m sure the inches have disappeared too. Let us now how the rehabilitation goes, something we are all keen to not screw up.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

You need to work out what your approximate total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is and aim for that, If you are of a reasonably average physique there are plenty of sites on the Internet that help you do that.

When moving from a restricted calorie phase to a higher calorie phase the key seems to be take it slowly, add a few calories extra every day (I added 50 calories a day, because I am impatient), and in my experience you not only don’t gain weight, you can continue to lose a little. I am currently nearing the end of this phase as I only recently decided on my plan of attack, (although I also kept the discipline of 1 800 calorie fast day a week), and am averaging calories slightly higher than I believe my TDEE to be and currently at my lowest weight ever, having been remarkably stable in weight during the process. That is currently taking in around 2300 calories averaged over the week. It is quite honestly difficult to eat this much, I seem to be almost eating all the time, but next week when I go on holiday I won’t be counting or weighing anything and will probably actually be taking in less calories. I may even lose another pound or so like I did on my last holiday. Other successful maintainers seem to have followed a similar strategy without putting any weight on, and in fact like me continuing to lose slowly.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Wow Mixnmatch – excellent advice – THANK YOU! I will establish my TDEE – I had totally forgotten about that from when I was on 5:2 last year – I ignored it then, probably to my detriment. I think adding 50 extra calories a day should be doable. I’ll probably add a second cup of coffee with cream in the afternoon and things like raw almonds or an ounce of aged cheddar for “dessert” in the evenings, or an extra ounce of chicken with my salad – things like that until I reach my TDEE. OK, this is SO helpful – I feel like I have a real plan now. Again, Thank you.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

One thing I missed out, keep tracking your weight, but look at weekly average weight and track the trend. If it starts to go up after a couple of weeks then try putting in an extra fast day to make your metabolism react. Then just keep going from where you were up to. It has worked amazingly well for me, so clearly my metabolism has come out of the restrictive phase quite well, but everyone is different so you will possibly have to tweak it to suit yourself.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Thanks so much Mixnmatch – I was actually planning on doing at least one 500 cal fast day ala 5:2 – hopefully combine lunch and dinner and eventually, just dinner on fast days. And I’ll likely continue to weigh daily as I’ve been doing. I enter the daily weight into the MFP app and can monitor the loss over time that way. I like the daily weigh as the variability of weight loss really shows up in the graph on MFP. The past seven weeks for me looks like a bumpy ride but the overall direction was down and now it shows a loss of 23 lbs. a fraction of an ounce shy of my first 10%. I’m hoping I’ll hit that goal before the 8 weeks is up next week.

• posted by poodlefrenzy
    on

Thank you for the welcomes. Amazing and inspirational to read your story Phreckles. Would you mind explaining how having too few calories in the maintain stage was a problem? Was it that you kept losing weight or did it trigger something else? And thanks for the info about TDEE Mixnmatch – not something I have ever heard of. I am not sure if the next 8kg for me is going to be the last – according to the BMI figures I can lose another 30kg (currently at 85kg and I am quite tall) and that feels impossible to do as well as impossible to imagine. Not sure if it would result in a healthy me. So I’m going to set smaller goals and see how I go as I reach them. Am currently losing half a kg a day (only 4 days in) which is fantastic but also a little alarming. Does it seem normal? Feeling good and not hungry and it is extremely motivating to be doing so well but I don’t imagine it will continue at that rate.

• posted by Clootiedumpling
    on

Hi folks, nice to hear everyones stories ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope the Scottish holiday has been fun Firecrest – I am a Scot living in England and I miss it a lot! I’ve just had a bit of a week off plan – not feeling too guilty as I have very little time off in a year and have eaten way better than I usually would on a week off work, but starting again tomorrow for another 4 weeks. I only ever planned to do 4 weeks as didn’t think i’d have the willpower to do 8, but it’s been so easy to stick to that I’m actually looking forward to doing another 4! Not going to lie though – I did enjoy my wee Easter egg… But not as much as I’ll enjoy getting to 10%!
    poodlefrenzy – I lost really quickly in week one then nothing till week 3 – it seems to go in fits and starts and different for everyone, also seems to depend on how much you have to lose etc. Everyone’s body is different

• posted by Buttermeup
    on

Good morning to all you Marchers, hope you had a fantastic weekend and are ready to embrace the new week with optimism ๐Ÿ™‚
    It’s the beginning of week seven for me and I am chuffed to record a further one inch reduction in belly button measurement, so now 33 inches. Seven inches gone in six weeks and only two inches away from being half my height. This is despite a mid week slip up and head on collision with pasta and chocolate.
    Looking forward to reading all your updates and inspirational stories. Have a great week :):)

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Hi everyone, last week was a bitch. Scales resolutely staying at or just above 16st. This morning they have co-operated and show 15 st 12 lbs that’s 2 stones lost – so hopefully a moving week. Go well.

• posted by Buttermeup
    on

That’s a great start to your week fletchrf ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Hi Everyone! Back to Monday ๐Ÿ™ This time of year is so lovely and filled with hope and promise that I just hate being inside and missing it all.
    Fletchrf – I can so relate – last week I was stuck at the same weight for ten days but it finally moved down. I’m actually up a lb this morning but I know it’s temporary. Glad you’re the right side of 16 st today – congrats. That must feel pretty good.
    Buttermeup – you sound do motivated and optimistic. Good for you. I feel the same way – I have a sense of hope and anticipation that I can’t remember having for quite some time. I think it’s because I really know that this time, my efforts will be rewarded.
    Clootiedumpling – it is difficult when you live far away from where you were born and raised – especially when that means you’re separated from family. I’m in the same position – though I live substantially farther from my birthplace than you do, worse luck!! Glad you enjoyed your little break. I agree, this plan, apart from the first couple of weeks, has been remarkably easy to stick with. I’m now in the middle of week eight.
    Poodlefrenzy – hi there. I wouldn’t call in maintenance as I still have at least one more round of the eight week plan to do. I’d call it a recovery period – time to give my body a chance to recuperate from being on such a low calorie diet, but hopefully, not gain weight in the process. The four week break is when I should, gradually, increase my calories so I don’t damage my metabolism. It’s also the time I need to get my body used to eating at my TDEE. (At least that’s what I understand from the book and the advice I’ve received here) I was on the original 5:2 plan last year and misunderstood what my non-fast days were about – I ate too few calories and basically, was on a restricted calorie diet for months on end. That’s not a good thing to do – apart from everything else, my weight loss completely stopped. I do not want to make that mistake this year. I should add, I’m NO expert on this and there are probably others who could give you better info – Linda A for e.g. is a wealth of knowledge.
    There I go again – another LONG post. Ugh!! Sorry.

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Hello all

Hope this isn’t too much information ๐Ÿ™‚ but it illustrates how life and stuff can get in the way! Had breast cancer nearly 5 years ago and a few weeks ago had symptoms which indicated another cancer. After weeks of being a bit anxious, I was also a bit unsure as to whether to carry on with such a low calorie diet. Are there any doctors on here (Dr Mosely?) who could advise? This sort of thing may affect others during the course of their 8 weeks.

Anyway, horrible tests on Tuesday after being fast tracked through the system. (Thank you to my GP and nurse) Some good news, (hurray!) but awaiting more results. I am trying to get back on track now. Not that I started stuffing myself or anything but was definitely not as organised and ate too much toast (my go-to comfort food….it is low GI)! Also, I did not get as much exercise as normal. Hoping to lose another 4 to 6 pounds before my holiday Friday 12th May in Scotland. I am very lucky and can now proudly announce a new BMI of 24.5. I haven’t been this weight in years. Currently thoroughly enjoying myself throwing out hated baggy clothing that swamps me. Hope you are all doing well as usual. I have read all the posts, you are an inspiring lot.

May I just pay tribute to our wonderful NHS. The news/media is always full of negative stuff and of course, under-funding should be discussed; but I cannot express how efficient, caring, dedicated and amazing all the Drs and nurses, who have looked after me, have been. They were so reassuring, understanding and went way beyond my expectations in their attitude and sheer hard work. I salute them and thank them.

• posted by poodlefrenzy
    on

Firecrest – love and best wishes. Crossing all my toes and fingers for you. And 24.5 BMI! Looking forward to that point.

Phreckles – thanks for the info. I see I need to look into this a bit more. Have plateaued after gaining a little but that was after several days of losing good amounts consistently – for one week. Tricking the metabolism is yet another factor to consider!

Fletcherf – thanks for posting about your sticking point. Nice to hear that when staying with it brings results – even if it takes too long.

Clootiedumpling – thanks for the heads up about sticking after 1 week. Not too thrilled about waiting two weeks but that will help me stay with the ‘right’ thing. And now I know what a clootiedumpling is thanks Wikipedia. May I never eat one because I won’t want to stop.

Butterup – isn’t it amazing how the waist measurement comes down. I am now at half my height on the waist and looking forward to more coming off.

I love reading all your posts. So inspiring.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Hi Everyone – Firecrest – sending big hugs across the ocean to you. Please let us know how things are. I agree with you re: your National Health system – living in the US after having lived in Ireland, I know first hand how great they are – especially when compared with here.
    Hey Poodlefrenzy – how goes it?
    I have finished round one. My results are: 24 lbs. down and I’ve lost 13 inches between bust, waist and hips. I’ve lost SIX…count them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 inches from my waist. That’s a half a foot!! That’s astonishing to me.
    Have started what I’m calling the “recovery phase” today – will be having a second cup of coffee with cream with my lunch and an extra helping of rotisserie chicken with dinner tonight. I plan to count calories for at least the first week to see how more calories feel and, hopefully, after that will be able to eat to hunger.
    Ok, work is calling me. Best get to it if I’m going to get out of here at a decent hour.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Firecrest. Fingers crossed for you. The NHS staff are doing their best under very difficult circumstances thanks to this government.
    Phreckles: bigs cheers for you and your achievements.
    Keep posting progress Poodlefrenzy slip ups happen and success will be cheered by us all.
    Mix and Match have you tried the dress on yet? I’m thinking the weight may match but the shape may not (certainly true in my case!).
    Down to 15 st 11lb which is 29.2 BMI. 12 cms off the waist, 10cms of the hips, and interestingly 4cm off the neck. Final week but entertaining this weekend. Also going to France in a couple of weeks in the caravan. Going to use M&S Count on us meals to manage on the several days travelling down to Provence. Then the Mediterranean diet should be easy.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I certainly did try the dress on and have the photos to prove it. It actually fitted far better than I thought it would, which considering I am routinely wearing 8-10 size tops now and it was labelled size 14 suggests sizes have changed quite markedly in the 25 years since I last wore it. Am now enjoying a week off worrying and planning what I eat, in sunny (mostly) Cornwall, with rather too many pasties, cream teas, and tonight my deferred dark chocolate easter egg shared with my mother and sister. Damage to weight will be reported on Monday morning when I get back to my scales, but I am contenting myself with the observation that all my clothes still fit and everything else is only a recovery couple of weeks away if necessary.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Well done you! It’s great that this eating plan means recovery from slip ups is not a catastrophe. Enjoy your pastie.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Sorry about the Nutralite Ad. I went there for a BMI and it has logged me and my address book

• posted by Clootiedumpling
    on

Mmmm pasties…. I’m going to a food festival tomorrow, challenge is to eat on plan but probably go over 800. Not too worried though as I am trying to use these 4 weeks to gently retrain myself into having the odd off plan thing and not catastrophising and giving up. So far so good-had one chocolate digestive to celebrate getting 80% in my essay and I really enjoyed it but was genuinely fine with having just one which is a massive difference from 6 weeks ago. I don’t want to come off a strict 8 weeks and have to work hard to resist gorging on everything! Now lost a stone so half way to 10% at end of week 5 and feeling good ๐Ÿ˜Š.
    Mixnmatch that’s great on the dress-bloody women’s clothing sizes though, I swear I wear clothes sized 14-20 from my wardrobe which makes no sense!!
    Fletcherf good luck on the final hurdle-enjoy your holiday ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Can I also just say how lovely it is to hear you guys being so positive about the NHS, as a student nurse and spending 6 months of every year on placement and the rest studying we can get really bogged down by all the negativity towards the NHS and it honestly lifts my day to hear someone having good things to say. Especially in a BSD forum where the norm (especially on Facebook) seems to be to slag off doctors and nurses ! So sorry to hear you’ve been ill firecrest, and well done for sticking to this despite it. Xx

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Thank you so much for your supportive remarks. I haven’t even told my family about my latest scare/ investigations. I told no one but my partner when I had breast cancer, until 18 months later when hospital treatment over. Why I mentioned it on here is beyond me, I realise now it was a bit unnecessary and irrelevant to the forum, (embarrassed) sorry! Anyway, you were all lovely so thank you.

I have bought some new clothes for my holiday. Can’t believe some of them were too big and have been returned……..the joy!!!

Mixnmatch: Your advice on how to continue after the 8 weeks is brilliant. Thank you, I will try adding 50 cals a day and track my average weekly weight. I do agree that women’s sizes have changed over the years.
    fletchr: You are a constant source of inspiration on here, thank you. I absolutely agree with you about the NHS (I will refrain from saying more or it may turn into a political rant :-D.
    Clootiedumpling: Try not to listen to all the awful negativity, almost impossible I bet. People like you are the real backbone and heroes of our society. I cannot praise you enough. Well done with your diet success so far.
    Phreckles: Thank you, I appreciated the big hugs. I love reading your posts.

To everyone else who responded, thank you again. Your posts are brilliant and have really helped me succeed x.

Weigh in on Monday and it looks like I will have lost another 3 pounds so really chuffed. Hope to lose another 2/3 before 12th May.
    I found, even when I went ‘off the rails’ for a week or two, I was so used to eating just 800 calories that I never ate more than around 1100 maximum, which meant I continued to lose weight (although a bit more slowly).

I am fortunate that I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic. Just wanted to adjust my BMI for general health reasons. I thought this diet would help me to achieve that more quickly while eating a fantastically healthy diet, and it has definitely done that. I also feel happier and less worried since being on the diet, I have had periods of depression over the years but do feel this diet improves your mental outlook. Has anyone else experienced this?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Firecrest
    There’s a lot of articles around about this way of eating helping with depression. Have a read of these:

http://www.feelguide.com/2015/01/06/new-research-discovers-tha-depression-is-an-allergic-reaction-to-inflammation/

https://www.sott.net/article/276507-Can-a-ketogenic-diet-really-fight-depression-Low-carb-high-fat-foods-shown-to-drastically-improve-mental-health

https://www.ketovangelist.com/how-the-ketogenic-lifestyle-reversed-my-depression/

Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Hi Everyone – hope you all had a good weekend.
    I did, and I didn’t. It was the first weekend of my 4-week break/recovery period. Just to see what would happen, I upped my calories to 1000 a day – two meals at 500 per meal. It was good, I was full but not stuffed. I stuck to principles but did have one half glass of champagne and one half glass of red wine for my Saturday evening meal (my first alcohol in eight weeks). On Sunday we had yet another family gathering and they served smoked ham (no sugar this time). I was extremely active on Saturday – hubby and I took down a dead tree. It was a decent sized tree – about three stories tall. It took about four or more hours and I was the one who carried the logs to the wood pile – so a lot of exercise of various forms – I’m not used to that right now. Anyway, the scale was up two lbs this morning. Why?? I just don’t know!! Was it water from the ham or the sore muscles from my Saturday workout? Could it have been the wine on Saturday night? Is 1000 calories enough to cause a weight gain? If that’s the case, I’m in big trouble. Anyway, today, I’m having a 800 calorie day – sort of a “fast day” as in 5:2 and will see how things are tomorrow.

Firecrest – please don’t feel embarrassed for anything you post here – we’re all in this together, we all have non-BSD issues that impact our lives and how we follow the plan so, really, nothing of that nature can be considered “irrelevant.” Please, continue to let us know how you’re doing.

ClootieDumpling – hope you had fun at the food festival.
    Hope everyone else is doing well – work is calling – gotta go.
    Bye for now.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

1000 calories is not enough to cause a weight gain, of fat anyway. Never forget that if you are eating the right stuff and allowing your metabolism time to recover as you plan to, it takes an extra 3,500 calories over and above what you have burnt that day to store 1 pound of fat. It is very very hard to do this in any period less than about a week, even if you are a real glutton. Yes, wine can be the cause of water retention, drink more water to compensate. Yes, sore muscles will also hang onto water to be used in the repair and building of new muscle, again, drink more water, add a little extra salt, and make sure you are getting plenty of protein. Work out what your TDEE is, and as long as you stay below that any gain is likely to be water or digestive transit.

Above all, don’t stress yourself about it, as stress can also cause water retention, so just keep on keeping on. As an aside, I actually took my 50 calories more each day plan way past my TDEE still without putting any weight on, and lost almost a pound while having a very indulgent holiday.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Thanks Mixnmatch – you’re so right about the stress – I got into my car this morning to drive to work and realized I had been stressing out since I got on the scale this morning – wondering if I’m one of the very few who won’t be successful on this WOE – worrying that I’ll gain again the next time I eat more than 800 calories in a day – even contemplating the awful possibility that the past eight weeks were for nothing and, as in the past I’ll just regain all I lost. Then, I remembered all the people on here and the Facebook BSD pages who have followed this WOE for over a year in many cases, and have been successful. I calmed myself down and started thinking of the other reasons the scale was up. That’s when I came up with the possibility that water could be the culprit. Thank you for your heartening message and confirming my suspicions.

My TDEE is quite high – 1878. I simply cannot imagine 1) being able to eat that much over two meals, or 2) that I could actually stay the same weight (let alone lose) at that number of calories. But, I know I just need to trust and believe that everything I read is correct and forge ahead.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Definitely water and gastric transit (what a lovely phrase MM) I would have thought. The problem is, on this diet, the weight loss is generally so regular that weighing daily isn’t a problem. But with other diets you would say no more than weekly. So, if it’s still there next Monday you can’t be measuring accurately. MM is right no way can the calories have resulted in that gain. Up the water.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Thanks fletchrf – I will be adding a few more litres to the 3 I currently drink – at least for the next few days anyway, until I undo whatever happened. I’ll be reporting back here over the next few days to let you all know the outcome.
    Also, I need to understand that this 4-week period is a learning process – something that will help me path my course for the next four months, the next four years and inevitably, for the rest of my life. I need to focus on the BIG picture.
    Again, thanks for the support.

• posted by Buttermeup
    on

Good morning Marchers. Week eight has started and my belly measures 32 inches so eight inches down. I weigh 59k with a BMI of 24.4 so just inside normal range.
    I’ll be starting 5:2 next week, probably 16:8 too.
    Depression……..yes, clear improvement of all symptoms and drug free. Yay ๐Ÿ™‚

Congrats Phrekles. 2lbs will be transient ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Whoa Buttermeup!! Way to go. I’m happy for you – though a tad jealous ๐Ÿ˜‰ You must be feeling pretty amazing right now.
    I’m reporting back on progress (or lack of) for day five of my 4-week break. Still up by two lbs. and, to add insult to injury, I’m now “eye roll, dramatic sigh” constipated!!!! Or as MnM calls it “digestive transit” issues ๐Ÿ™‚ I was TOTALLY fine in that regard during the 8 weeks of BSD and, really cannot think what I’m doing differently. I drink as much water as I did – 3 litres every day and sometimes more, my basic food plan is unchanged except for adding a few extra fats, (cream in coffee, an extra 1/2 oz of raw almonds in my salad, an additional oz of chicken) to increase my calories. It’s not just that I’m not “going” often enough – that had slowed down when the volume of food I was eating decreased, it’s the fact that going is..well, to put it bluntly, going is hard, in both senses of the word. Really sorry to be so gross here. I know though that it’s a problem for some people on this WOE. I’m going to do a search to see what others have done to resolve the issue.
    On a positive note – there was a work birthday celebration just a few minutes ago and, of course, there were donuts. When I was asked why I wasn’t having any, I just said that I gave up sugar for Lent and now find I can’t eat it as it makes me ill. It was interesting how the discussion evolved from that – the word is getting out there that the nutritional guidelines we’ve been following over the past 40 and more years are being debunked. People are slowly figuring it out.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Hey folks – how goes it? People must be out and about enjoying the Spring weather. Though it’s Autumn down under – but still, a lovely time of year. I have, thankfully, recovered from my digestive transit problems and will leave it at that.

Now, some assistance/guidance needed. I’ve just finished my first week of the four-week break and the scale is exactly the same as it was last week at this time. It wasn’t that way all week though – I was down one lb then up two then down one all week, which I’m sure is perfectly normal. I’ve increased my calories by 200 one day, 100 another day and I did one 500 cal “fast day” in the middle of the week. However, I’m concerned and a little confused. I know I’m supposed to get my daily calorie level close to my TDEE but that’s close to 1800 calories a day – if I’m only supposed to increase my calories by 100 or so a week, how can I reach that level in only four weeks? At that rate, the most I could get up to would be 1400 by the final week. Do I need to stay on the break until I can safely get my calories to 1800 or can I just start back on Round two after the four weeks are up?
    I know I’m not alone in my concern about regaining the weight I lost in the first round of the BSD – the idea of all my good intentions and hard work being for naught is very worrying so ANY info, guidance etc. will be most helpful.
    Thank you all in advance.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I increased my calories by 50 calories a day, and didn’t put on any weight. My current plan which I will be using if I hit my trigger weight again, is to have an immediate extra fast day, followed by a 1500 day (my TDEE is around 2100) then 1550 etc. Climbing slowly then over three weeks to well above my TDEE (last time I hit about 2300 average without putting on any weight). It is perfectly normal for your weight to vary by up to a couple of kg just with water/glycogen and the whole digestive transit thing… Just don’t worry about it, and only if your weekly average starts to climb do you need to slow down the calorie increases.

From 1,000 calories (assuming that is where you are now) I would try 1050, 1100, 1150, 1200, 1250, 1300 then another fast day. Next week would be 1350, 1400, 1450, 1500, 1550, 1600 fast day. Then 1650, 1700, 1750, 1800, 1850, 1900 fast day. By that time your metabolism should have recovered, and you should be ready for another round. The average in that final week will still be below your TDEE if it is as you have calculated, but if you do this again you can take it up to 2,200 or so according to my experience and help your metabolism be ready for maintenance. In my experience this is at least as important as sticking to the 800 calories in the first place. I credit this approach, as well as the greater level of walking, for two slight losses on my last two holidays, despite many treats and alcohol every night.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Thank you M&M – you are the absolute BESTEST!!! Time to break out a notebook and PLAN!!! I think planning for the break will be much harder as it’ll change from day to day.
    Also, I’ve finally figured out that I’m slightly brainwashed – perhaps more than slightly. I’ve been equating “eating more” with how I’ve thought of that phrase for the past 30 plus years. You must NOT eat more: If you eat more you’ll get fat; if you eat more, it means you’re a glutton; if you eat more, it means you have no self-control etc. etc. For so many years, I’ve equated eating less with being GOOD and eating more with…..well, with being BAD!! It’s going to take me more than a few weeks to get rid of that mind-set I’m afraid. But, you’ve given me a template with which to work. Thank you again.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Well said, we all started out with this former diet ‘conditioning’ – fat is bad, eat less and deprive yourself of things you like is ‘being good’ This way of eating has been an absolute transformation for me, since all my favourite foods are staples, and I have realised that many of the carb rich foods I used to indulge in I didn’t even like, I just gave in to the cravings. Now I am out of the sugar trap I can indulge a little without giving in to the cravings when I recognise what they are.

• posted by poodlefrenzy
    on

Gosh it is so good to read these pages. I feel like I understand more each time. It is really clear that I am not being strict enough about how I am counting my calories so from tomorrow I will get more precise. Some questions please of anyone has answers?

1. I am finding it incredibly difficult to stop sugar completely so every now again (but most days) I will have some – 1/4 banana or 3 (small) pieces dried fruit (sultana, cranberry, banana) or two squares chocolate. Not much and nowhere satisfies what I want (I used to eat 250g chocolate in one hit) but it helps me to feel less deprived. I think, however, that I can see my weight derailing when I have sugar (either increase or stable) despite low calories. Twice I have had much more chocolate than that (usually stress related). Am I supposed to be aiming to cease all sugar at all times?

2. I have tried replacing these sweet things with a low calorie (70) stevia sweetened hot chocolate last things ta night to look forward to. IS this a satisfactory alternative or do I need to try to get off this too?

3. I have been really sick (in bed sick) with a cold for much of the last 10 days and have made myself eat even when I don’t particularly want to assuming that was the right thing and have put on weight (I have hardly moved though). Not a lot of weight but up which is demoralising. Should I just eat fewer calories on low activity days?

4. What is the role of water in losing weight? Is it about feeling full or does it facilitate moving food through (starting to have some trouble with this) or does it do something else?

I’m sure there is heaps more I don’t really understand but one thing at a time I guess. Looking forward to hear what you have worked out.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.