“KEEPING CARBS AT BAY OVER VALENTINE'S DAY” 4wk challenge ends 20th Feb

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Welcome, treelady! Here’s the thread Allie mentioned in which some of us 20 grammers posted about how we go about it: https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/20-g-carb-anyone/

Weighing and measuring is a must, I’m afraid. There’s no other way to determine how many carbs and calories you’ve eaten, especially since there are many unexpected carb sources in the vegetable world, as well as in fruits that are generally assumed to be “healthy,” and in legumes and pulses. Don’t let the thought of it drag you down. It only takes a second and within a week you’ll be so used to it you won’t even notice. Use an app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret to menu plan and log all the ingredients and quantities thereof. That way their software will do all the math for you and all you’ll have to do is plug in the data. You may even find as I did that you thrive on the organization of it. It feels good to get out of a chaotic mindspace into a clean, step 1-step 2 structure. It also keeps you from dwelling on crap foods you can’t eat anymore.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on coming out of the shadows into the light with your first post!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thank you for the kind words. Overall things have not improved.

Friday night was amazing – hosted a Murder Mystery in aid of Macmillan and made over £400. Was good with food choices, calories were very high – there was a lot of wine.

Then something happened which led to me spending the night at A&E at the side of my OH. He’ll be fine and we’re home now but it was not good at all and I’m now home, exhausted and very down.

On the plus side I’m too depressed to eat much. Things will get better but at the moment I’m feeling crushed.

Sorry this is a miserable post. I’m going to KOKO on but won’t be posting for a few days as my attention is somewhat diverted.

So I wish you all the best over the next few days and I hope to catch up with all your posts next week.

• posted by treelady
    on

Thank you all for the friendly welcome – Iucky you Marie123 having sunshine and I hope you enjoyed your walk. It’s been a very grey, drizzling day here in South Wales, but I did get an hour weeding in the garden last thing today.

Alliecat and Esnecca, thank you for the hints and tips on weighing etc – I shall read that 20g carbs thread with interest.

It’s just that when you have eaten any old food without thought, let alone worried how many grammes of this or that are in it, then the whole weighing and logging thing does come as a shock.

I think I will spend the next two weeks cutting out all blindingly obvious high and medium carb foods, and getting used to a different way of eating. And I will start adding something everyday to Fat Secret to slowly build up my list. I am a creature of habit and was already having the same thing for breakfast everyday, so that will be the place to start.

Dear Shanshu – a very tough time for you, and my thoughts, prayers and positive vibes will be going out to you over the next few days.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi tree-lady. Just to say that I also started more gently: I went for a Mediterranean diet without rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and alcohol in the beginning, then added 5:2 to make two days 800 calories, and then all days 800 calories and under 50 carbs after two months. Thanks to this forum, I was also alerted to less obvious dangers like apples and oats. As is often said here, there are a number of options and you will find the one that best suits you, and adapt as necessary. Very best wishes!

• posted by Flick
    on

Morning all,

Still 64.3 here – Day 12. Mokovex, please don’t hold back celebrating your fabulous achievements on my account. My current plateau is just that, a plateau. It will eventually pass and even though it is frustrating, and just a tad worrying, it does not dimish, in any way, how much fun it is to read and celebrate other’s results.. Well done you, your results are fabulous! Just turns I would be very very good in a famine!

Shanshu, that’s a terrific fund raising effort. Hope it all settles down for you soon.

Marie, thanks for your good wishes, they all help ease the load of how totally, unbelievably, tedious proper full,on plateaus are!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Flick, holding my thumbs for luck for you that this passes soon. Well done for keeping going, it’s sooo frustrating 😞

Yesterday I made a huge departure from normal and ate rolled oats, oat bran, mixed seeds and home made labneh for brunch. I knew it was a big carb hit but thought I’d have it for a change, first oats I have eaten since February last year. I stayed at 800 cal for the day but carbs were up to 35. Today my weight is 62.9, under 63 for the first time since Christmas. What gives???

I have been under 63 on three occasions since November but each time it sprang back immediately so not getting excited yet

I’ve found the discussions on the Fermenters thread absorbing and introduces more sourkraut, kimchi and kefir into my diet a week or two ago. Not initially to my taste but I’m glad I persevered, I really enjoy them now and I’m all set up to start my own sourkraut and trying to locate kefir grains in Australia, unexpectedly easier said than done. If any aussies here know where they can be sourced, I’d love a heads up.

Hot, sunny days in Sydney this weekend which is lovely though can’t really do much walking outside. I hope it’s a good day for all, especially those under the pump.

Welcome, Treelady, cutting out the bad stuff and getting over any withdrawal first is a great strategy, I hope it goes well for you.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Shanshu, our dear fellow challenger, I do empathise with what you are going through with your OH. I wish him, and you, well. Look after yourself, sending hugs xx. Marilyn.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Well, I have had a night of realising the meaning of retribution. Perhaps that’s sounding a little melodramatic but I inflicted harm on my body and it retaliated strongly. I had some milk chocolate. I don’t know how much (it was there in a bowl, it was shared) but obviously it was too much. And while I’d had a reasonable amount of fluid during the day not so much after dinner. When home again and going to bed, had barely lifted my feet off the floor before sharp, very painful cramps began. Both legs, front and back. Both feet, top, toes and sole. Quite agonising and the bar of soap that lives in the bed (sunshine-girl!) was of no value. Staggered downstairs for an hour or so, pouring water into myself. The worst of it had gone when I lay down again but had a very fitful night’s sleep. Oddly, too, my hands were screaming. Recent X-rays confirmed just bone on bone in all my finger joints, wrist, and every one of these was sharply evident. Had never before had the two extremities working together like that.

You know, I don’t remember even enjoying that chocolate, do remember thinking I really shouldn’t, but was careless in company. But I won’t again, ever, have more than 1 or 2 squares of 90% Lindt.

I’ve been doing very well on this challenge so I’ll have regard for the good advice I’ve given others… this was just a pothole in the road not a stopping point, I’m on track today.

Mariet, sounds a though you “primed the pump” so to speak. Hoping for you that the 62s continue, and Flick, I hope you climb down off the plateau very soon.

Go well, everyone. MFODAAT xx

• posted by Flick
    on

Mariet, Excellent news! And gives me hope.

I read somewhere else on here that oats had at least cooincided with a plateau break, but then again I also read a chicken sandwhich did also! I’ll have to try something creative if I’m still in the 64s next week. Meanwhile enjoy!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Good morning from sunny Italy. We are on a ski trip (I may or may not ski last year I was too achy but this year feel fine, but nervous!) the kids are out right now though and the sun is shining on the snow.

15hr drive to get here (my husband is a hero and also mad). I’m having a vile TOM this week and just having a shower felt challenging so am sitting in bed relaxing.

It’s a half board hotel, so my plan is to miss breakfast and lunch and have salad and main for dinner. I think there’s sauerkraut here (it’s on the Austrian border) so have been having some when I see it and hoping it’s not covered in something I don’t want each time (so far ok I think). I dong think there’ll be much scope for me eating chocolate or cream this week, fingers crossed I might actually lose a few 100g for a change as a result. Also at altitude so will have t drink litres of water so hoping that will encourage my body to drop a little more.

• posted by treelady
    on

Hi Caronl,
    thank you for your support. I did contemplate the 5:2, but I know I would just use the 5 days to eat as much as possible because I would be ‘restricting’ my diet on the other two days. The 16/8 sounds doable, as OH and I have usually finished supper by 19.30, and I can then look forward to a BSD lunch the next day.

Esnecca – thank you for the link to the 20g carbs thread – some of the links posted in that are fascinating – I am now reading my way through the Keto forum as well. It’s rather like Alice down the rabbit hole – one click leads to another, and there you are, off in a whole new world of nutrition and body science. Love it.

I have dug out my digital kitchen scales, measuring spoons / cups / jugs and registered with Fat Secret, so my head is in the right place now to start weighing, measuring and logging everything. Hopefully, where my head goes, my body will follow!

Light snow here across the edge of the Black Mountains at the moment, but I can see blue sky in the distance, so will be able to get out into the garden again later
    : )

• posted by JackieM
    on

HiMokovex looked for yourscan where I live but cannot find a provider. Sounds really good will persevere looking. As Marie123 says definitely let us know what it says.

You have inspired me to think I can and perhaps should lose some more fat, I hadn’t reLly dared think of a number beginning with 8st before,though could healthily (per bmi) do it

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you for your support and encouragement Gattina and Marie123 and a big hug for my virtual friend Marsie who is always there for me – and yes, I will take note of your advice and “put on my oxygen mask before helping others”. I do tend to take on too much at times and I will try to have a bit more me time.
    X B

• posted by Mariet
    on

Back over 63 today *sigh* but I did go to see live music at the pub and there was red wine so what can I expect? At least I avoided the (fried) seafood platter.

Feeling resolute.

Milalin, how are you going?

• posted by Flick
    on

Morning all, another day at 64.3 – that’s Day 13. What can I say, the view here is …. nope the view here is not great. So my plan today is to tackle a 36 hour fast. Each of the two I’ve completed previously resulted in a .7 loss. Even though this plateau has meant I’ve rebounded some of the last one, maybe a bit if a kick start might help, at least protect my metabolism. Other than that it’s just MFODAAT – I guess.

Marsie, that cramp sounds like hell. Don’t forget to keep your salt intake up. I had one bad front and back of leg cramp at about week 7 and have never experienced such excruciating agony. Soap in the bed ever since and plenty of salt. I hope I never experience that again, nor anyone else. Cheers all, best wishes for weigh ins.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Marsie,

One trick for preventing cramps that I have heard (and worked for me) is drinking Indian Tonic Water. Apparently there is some trace element in it which prevents cramps.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Morning to all from here even though I know it’s evening for some. Ive just caught up on reading this morning and following everyone’s progress and challenges. Always onwards and I’m excited seeing people persisting and holding on and breaking through eventually. I’m sorry I haven’t been up to much here. But it’s such a joy to see everyone’s progress and encouraging comments.
    Mariet the last few days have continued to be rocky, though I I think it’s just a very slow recovery . I was back to full on nausea and vomiting again yesterday, so today I’m having an abdo X-ray. I still haven’t seen the photo of the monster kidney that was removed. And the biopsy report will give me a weight. The fantastic news was NO CANCER which I’m not sure if I’ve already shared here. I have hardly stood up and not been weighed for at least a week so that’s a mystery at this point . But I’ve had very little interest in food still. So hoping that I might have lost a bit or at least held. Will be interesting. Meanwhile thanks for thinking of me and sorry again I’ve just been in my own headspace but I look forward to my notifications and seeing you all doing well supporting each other and gfantastic tips and suggestions. Btw my dad is back in hospital too so much going on at once as always happens. Best wishes to you Mariet and to everyone else for the upcoming weigh in xxx

• posted by Milalin
    on

Marsie tonic water and also pickle juice is popular cramp relief amongst renal patients . Such as poured off gerkins etc You could try Lo cal tonic 1st to save on calories.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Milalin, it’s wonderful to hear from you! That’s great news about your pathology report. The post-op nausea
    must be miserable, and not a symptom that is easy to ignore. I hope that your rehab is going well. I’m
    thinking of you 🙂

Hugs,

Allie

• posted by Flick
    on

Milalin, it’s just wonderful to hear from you and with such excellent path news. Fingers crossed they can sort out the nausea for you quickly. Warm wishes from me,

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Allie almost 3 weeks n I’ve just been sick again . I’m over it! I was thinking it was the painkillers but I haven’t had them today so idk. Anyway they’ll do the X-ray n bloods today . So maybe some answers. My nurse just photographed the main wound and it is looking good so I’m pleased about that. Might be the upside will be weight loss! Thanks again x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Flick too. I knew it would be a long road and I’m hoping I’m past the worst of it xx

• posted by Flick
    on

Mariet, at least there was red wine involved – I hope enough for both of us!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Shanshu, Marsie, JackieM, and Milalin, I hope you’re all feeling better. Milalin I hope they find out what is going on and fix it soon.

I’ve been down with flu for two weeks and this second week my whole family is sick so no one to look after me or cook properly, getting no sleep with my husband coughing and sneezing (and snoring) whenever I’m not so we keep each other awake, eating bland carby foods and takeaway so I’m not surprised at a gain this week – but a bit surprised at how much! Up 0.8 kg which is particularly horrible considering the previous weeks’ tiny losses of 0.1 and 0.2 kg. I don’t really have the energy to worry about it much.

I hope the rest of you have better weigh-ins tomorrow!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Natalie – sorry to hear you’re still not well. You may find the gain is temporary – this happens to me when I eat “off plan” foods – especially carbs. It may just be water weight as carbs hold on to water. Everytime I go away for a weekend this happens to me, but a few days on plan and it goes again.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Natalie – you don’t sound well at all. I know it’s frustrating and nobody wants to gain anything but it’s such a small amount in the great scheme of things. As SueBlue says, it’ll come off again soon enough. Try to keep it at that small gain and focus on getting well and it’ll come good. Take care.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Allie – just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome back. I’ve said it before and no doubt I’ll say it again, you’re such a lovely, supportive woman. Glad to read that you and Kazz managed to Skype. Yes, it was just a computer breakdown. I haven’t got a smartphone (or iPhone?) or anything else so once the old laptop goes I’m internet-less. I daresn’t ask how your phone purchase is going but am looking forward to the photos!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Milalin – don’t worry about responding – just wanted to say Hi, like everyone else I’ve been thinking about you. Sorry to hear about the nausea. Great news about the non-cancer result. Wishing you and your lovely Dad all the best.xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Ok, so now I’ve posted the things I’ve wanted to post, I’ll now post the thing I don’t particularly want to post.

I’d read about a few people finding some good BSD things at Waitrose (other supermarkets are available) so I placed my first ever online shopping order on Saturday. It arrived yesterday. As you probably all already know there is a minimum spend to get things delivered to your home (but got £20 off first order so not too bad).

To make my order up to the required £ amount instead of ordering an extra piece of fish, meat, more seeds, etc, I ordered 2 x Lindt chocolate bars and 4 bags of pork crackling – basically, pork scratchings – which had been recommended on another forum.

Yesterday afternoon I ate all 4 bags of pork crackling (I don’t even particularly like pork scratchings/crackling!) and 1 and a half of the Lindt bars. I then proceeded to dive into a tub of Fage yoghurt which I’d committed on another thread to not doing.

Last night I had the worst attack of arthritis in my fingers and wrists I’ve had in a long time and this morning I got on the scales and instead of being 9st 10lb, I weigh 10 stone. Bloody hell!

It’s so ridiculous. I can’t quite say I’m laughing about it, but there is a wry smile on my face. KOKO

nb
    On a more positive note – the sun is shining here again this morning

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Milalin, while wonderful news about the biopsy, sorry that you have had a recent setback. Hope they find a fix for your issues and soon get you on the road to a long term recovery. What a lot you have been through, and with such a positive attitude under such trying circumstances.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Milalin I’m so sorry you’re still feeling off, seems unfair for it to linger so long. I hope they are able to sort it soon. Nausea is so debilitating, I almost think I’d prefer pain- though when I’m in pain I always think I’d prefer nausea. I do feel for you, having both. But marvellous news about your biopsy 🎉💐

Flick, any news? My drop to the 62s was sadly short lived, back to 63.4 today. 300g gone this week but 400 up on my lowest. It’s tough that one little transgression can do that when the rest of the week was on plan but oh well.

Hoping others have good results to report today and heartfelt commiserations to those who don’t.

Kokoodaat.

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi Mariet, Yes down to 63.7kg this morning. That means a loss of .7kg for the week, .6kg of which was overnight following a just about complete 41 hour fast. Mariet, 300g, with red wine, and when you are close to your goal, is not so bad!

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about mine. Thrilled to see the number 63 of course, but also insecure of course as it is highly likely to bounce back up, but also, while I’m OK with fasting as a method for protecting or stimulating metabolism, this feels more like fasting for weight loss, and fasting combined with calorie restriction. Too extreme? Maybe it is just going to take intermittent fasting to get to my goal. Let’s see what the next few days bring.

I’m also starting to ponder life at the end of this (a bit hilarious when my target seems so elusive). Quite happy to settle into this healthy way of eating/living for life and I’m starting to understand that successful maintenance means either, no transgressions, or quickly moderating them. I’ll definitely be in this later group of maintainers so maybe fasting is going to be a component of that. Anyway, that’s all seems a fair way off and it is giving me a headache. Time for a walk. Oh no change to measurements.

Here’s the Week 3 weigh-in results

Challenge Starting weight 65.8kg
    Week 2 64.4
    Week 3 63.7 = -0.7kg

Marie123, I swear I could smell my neighbour eating chocolate yesterday evening!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Flick,

There was an article in thetimes a few days ago about our bodies having a weight that they are genetically predetermined to be.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-real-reason-you-cant-lose-weight-hwkvqsfg0

Most of the article is about the mental issues of cal counting but this quote stuck in my mind. When thinking about the future and maintenance.

—————————-

“If you’ve noticed that your body keeps coming back to a certain weight, that’s generally around the middle of it,” she says. “It’s around what you weigh when you are eating sensibly without dieting or binge eating and when you aren’t engaging in tons of exercise.”

Mann concedes that for many of us this may still be heavier than our dream weight. But “embrace it”, she says. “It’s where your body wants you to be, it’s easy to maintain and you can be healthy there. The only reason you would need to diet is if you’re currently well above that range. Otherwise, using sensible strategies to encourage you to eat healthily should get and keep you there.”

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hey Flick, enjoy the moment 🙂 Even if it’s transient- *especially* if it’s transient!

JGwen, I’ve read about that as well and it was suggested to me that it was the reason for a fairly prolonged plateau earlier in my weight loss. It’s definitely taken longer since then but I am down more than 5kg from that time so maybe I just have to accept that it’s going to take as long as I care to keep at it, and if I don’t keep at it I can expect to sit around where I am now. That’s not a prospect I want to face 🙂

• posted by Flick
    on

Hey Gwen, thanks for the link. That is really interesting. No doubt my set weight would be 64.4kg 🤪. Jason Fung is also really interesting on this topic, I’ll try to find a link

https://idmprogram.com/all-diets-fail-how-to-lose-weight-xi/

I can’t find the complete set – but there are some good Youtube videos The Aetiology of Obesity. Essentially he agrees but stops short of concluding that the ‘set point’ is final and inevitable. His broad approach is that you can re-set by using intermitment fasting.

Someone in another forum has proposed that somewhere Fung says that it takes mixing things up quite a bit to break through a ‘set point’ (some eat to satiety days, some 800 cal days) and that once you reach your new goal weight it can take quite a complicated formula to reset the body at the new weight. Something like 66 days of a complicated sequence of various lengths of fast – 18, 24 separately and consecutively – along with days of either one, two, three meals, satiety and calorie restriction etc.Far more complicated than the reverse dieting approach I’ve read about here. I haven’t been able to locate any papers or presentations backing it up. Mind you I also haven’t read his book!

Has anyone else investigated this?

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Wow, lots to catch up on and sorry so many people have been feeling grim!

start weight = 128.1lb
    Week 1 = 127.8lb
    Week 2 = 126.2lb
    Today = 124.8 lb

Total – 3.3lb
    To goal – 5.8lb

This is an average of 1.1lb a week and so I guess that I might get there in the next challenge (or the one after). It is amazing how my response to that has shifted. A few months ago, I would have been tearing my hair out at how little this was but various plateau, months of bouncing around the same couple of pounds has given me a happy acceptance of any loss. Also, as I get close to goal, each pound does make a significant difference to the fit of my clothes.

MIlalin – so thrilled to hear that cancer was ruled out, less thrilled that you are struggling so much with nausea.

Marie123 – 👏 for posting the blow out here. Has the last day been any better?
    Flick – Just wanted to join your cheering team, to encourage you through this plateau. 👍👏

Go well all, x

• posted by Busybee
    on

Morning all.
    I managed to lose a couple of the regained, lost and regained pounds over the weekend in spite of the more gentle approach of not counting calories or carbs.
    Another busy week with two lunches out and a weekend away to see our daughter – however the fork ( and glass!) will be in my hand!!
    MOODAAT
    X B

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks Mokovex, and well done to you, you’re so close, it’s brilliant!

I did better yesterday but I still have to report a 3lb (1.3 kg) gain this week. So I’m now 9st 13lb (63 kgs). So, back to the drawing board for me. The positive is I had a review yesterday on the exercise programme I’ve been on since the end of October and all the results were good. (Can’t tell you any right now – can’t find the bit of paper). So back on track today.

Busybee – I always think weekend’s are trickiest so it’s good you’ve lost a couple of pounds.
    Flick – hope the loss sticks!

I’m going to Pilates now – I enjoy it but never seem to get the breathing right – hope everyone else has positive report-ins. Will look forward to reading them all later.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi all – I’m sorry for not keeping up with the posts. At the moment, my life is a bit stressful with one thing or another and I’m struggling to do anything other than keep on BSD foods and guess weights etc and hoping I’m keeping on track. I’m sorry because I’m normally quite a supportive person but I’m being a little selfish this last week or so because I know that I need to look after myself otherwise I’m going to snap! Hopefully things will quieten down soon.

Anyway… I’ve reached Week 3:

Challenge Starting weight = 222.4lb
    Start of Week 2 = 217.4lb (-5.0lb)
    Start of Week 3 = 216.2lb (-1.2lb)
    Start of Week 4 = 213.4lb (-2.8lb)
    Total to date = 9lbs
    Challenge target = 12lbs

So another 3lbs to lose in this challenge. Bar Valentine’s Day I have no plans to go out and hopefully I will be able to keep track of my eating and drinking and will either lose some more or at the very least not gain (last week seemed to be a total yo-yo of 2lbs on 2lbs off every 2 days).

I should be so happy about the above but I’m so down at the moment, it’s barely registering. Sorry to be such a killjoy.

Everyone – for those who lost well done, for those who didn’t lose or gained, I hope for good things next week.

Good luck on your last week everyone. If I’m not around over the next few days it’s because I’m struggling with everything else but I will be back for weigh-in next week and signing on to the next challenge.

• posted by marie123
    on

Shanshu – I’m glad I just caught this. You are a lovely, supportive person. I remember reading you’re posts and thinking how supportive you are to others, truly. I’m sorry to hear you’re so low at the moment but you’re not being selfish at all. You’re right to take care of yourself. I wish you all the best this week. Take care. Marie xx

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thank you Marie. I’m just going through some major life upheaval, both good and bad, and I can’t work out which way is up at the moment!! It will all work out eventually and I’m determined that this won’t derail my new WOE.

• posted by Flick
    on

Shanshu, just a quick warm wishes to you. Take care.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all
    I’ve been awol for a few days and so many posts to catch up on. So hear goes:
    JGwen – work events are tricky to manage – lunches are always carb based and particularly the veggie options. Pasta seems to be he go to ingredient. I think we should all stand up and demand low carb veggie options.
    Thank you to everyone encouraging me to go and join my colleagues in the canteen – there are very boring and complicated reasons why I prefer not to.
    Crazyquilter – good luck on your nights out. Eating out should be fun and in time we should find a way of making them fun again. I have avoided any food-centred social events this year for the same reasons.
    Mokovex – well done on your weight loss – 5.8lbs is so achievable.
    Treelady – welcome back
    Marie123 – Welcome back and stay clear of those pork scratchings 🙂
    Shansu – I’m so sorry you’re having such a difficult time. Your positivity is inspiring and I’m sure will help you through your life changes. I’m sending you a big hug. Well done you for sticking to this woe and still losing so much weight.
    Flick – you’re doing really well. Hang in there and you will lose those final kgs
    Mariet – sounds like the oats had a good affect on you and well done for getting under 63 even if for a short time. Enjoy the sunshine – it’s freezing in London.
    Marsie – the cramps aren’t worth it – stay clear of the chocolate 🙂
    JackieM – enjoy Italy
    Milalin – great news about the biopsy – all the best on your recovery
    Natalie – sorry you’re not feeling well – get well soon.

I’m sorry if I’ve missed anyone out – well done everyone for KOKO – ing.

• posted by Flick
    on

Thanks for the support everyone. This next week promises to be interesting. I’ve started whispering 62 to my body. It may very well take weeks but I am nothing if not hopeful.

Great results Busybee and Mokovex and you too Marie123. Sticking to an exercise program is no small achievement.

• posted by Gattina
    on

For me – I’m feeling pleased with myself – I’ve lost 3.5 lbs this week making my overall weight loss 2 stones! I’ve been smiling ever since I stepped on the scales. Reaching the 2 stones loss was my target for this challenge so I’ve reached it sooner than I anticipated.
    So far in this challenge I’ve lost 13.5lbs. I will set myself a new challenge to lose 5lbs this week.

Keep going everyone and I look forward to your updates.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Just been watching the Jason Fung YouTube clips Flick posted elesewhere. Big Thankyou! Has refreshed my understanding and made it clear I need to not just have an eating ‘window’ but have just three meals in that period, no snacking! I knew this and had forgotten, so have nighttime fast of 15 hours or so but then eat what and when I like in the other 9 hrs. Am going to keep up the ‘what I like’ (BSD style – not fast800 though as am healthy weight so can do it slower) but leave gaps, see if that moves me off the plateau down to below 9stone.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi everyone, doing a bit of catch-up here after missing a day. Doesn’t take long to build up does it?

:: Milalin, I’m thrilled that the biopsy results came back NO CANCER. That means so much. As to the nausea, now you are off the heavy duty pain killers, I hope your path eases. I can’t take them, very debillitating, so as soon as I come around post surgery, I stamp my foot until I am on a panadol only regime. I tell them that I will take the pain for the short term, just can’t deal with morphine etc etc. There have been some hectic discussions…….. Wishing you well 🙂
    :: Natalie, rotten flu, hope you’re over it soon. You will probably feel a bit lethargic for a while, so do what you need to do to get your strength back. Thinking of you
    :: Oh, Marie, I can just feel your pain. After my choc indulgence a few days ago, the arthritic pain in my hands came along with the leg cramps. Will we learn? We should ….. we will! Sad about your gain, get rid of it this week …
    :: Mariet, It will happen, great that there was some downward movement this week.
    :: Flick, that was a solid fast with something worthwhile to show for it. 700g is good, and as that makes it 2.1kg down since the start of the challenge, you’re doing something right 🙂 I can see that you are pondering the “fasting” process and the best way for you to go with it. It’s so individual isn’t it? I’ve never managed anything more than missing one meal and if that is breakfast then I’m very likely to “make up for it” later in the day. Missed dinner last night without that “need something” feeling, so that may be a way forward for me. I wish you success with your choices.
    :: Mokovex, doing so well, with your end goal in sight. Congratulations on your steady progress.
    :: Busybee, well done for this weigh-in. Keep it going.
    :: Shanshu, sometimes we’re leaners, sometimes we are the leaning post. On this forum I think we’ve all taken our turns at both. Do what you need to do in your circumstances and if you are eating to the principles then you are doing very well, I think. Wishing you and yours all the very best. Just come back in when you can. Marilyn xx
    :: Gattina, yes, you are so right, I’m staying clear of the chocolate. Well done on your own losses. That’s terrific:)

:: My weigh-in this morning reflected my dilly-dallying around with PB over the week-end (as reported on another thread). So happy about my new low at last week’s weigh-in, too soon, too soon….I am 61kg exactly, up 500g and if yesterday had been weigh-in day then it would have been up by 1kg. I intend to be at or below 60.5kg for our next weigh-in.

Speaking of which, we could do with suggestions for the next challenge theme, due to finish Tues 27th Feb – any ideas?

MFODAAT

• posted by Mariet
    on

We had to say goodbye to our little dog yesterday, so sad and sooner than we expected. He went blind a couple of months ago but last week his back legs became paralysed, three areas of spinal cord occluded. The vet was giving all kinds of treatment options but all were nasty with little chance of success and she couldn’t say his pain would ease. When we said we’d rather pull the plug she was so relieved. Made me cross actually, she had never suggested that it might be time and it was so hard to say it when she kept pushing steroids, confinement or operations. It was a peaceful end and I don’t regret it but still teary.

In the past I would have reached for the bikkies but happily this time it didn’t cross my mind. Rewarded by being back to 62.9 this morning, now to try to stay there.

Best wishes to those who are struggling with life at the moment and happy thoughts for everyone.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Mariet – I couldn’t not reply to this. I’m so very sorry for your loss. It’s devastating saying goodbye to a family member and I’m sending lots of love to you. Well done for not even considering binging – there’s strength for you.

I hope you’re able to curl up tonight and remember the happiness he gave you. XxxX

• posted by Flick
    on

Quick check in – scales still reading 63.7 so that’s a good start to the week.

Great results Gattina! From what I’ve read here, a redo is often much more difficult. What a champion effort!

JackieM – glad they were helpful. I really benefitted from properly understanding the importance of keeping insulin low while trying to lose weight. Now, as I near my target and everything seems to be slowing down, I’m begining to understand that fasting might be an excellent skill to develop for both this last stretch and longer term health.

Natalie, glad to read you are on the mend and well enough to get back into your studies. Don’t sweat your gain too much. It will move now that you are up and about.

It was positively cold here this morning, though the days are still hot. It’s such a nice start to the day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.