Jive to July

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by florob85
    on

Linda might be worth checking your carbs in the coleslaw (carrot and onion surprisingly high), beetroot, onion, avocado and feta – will depend how much you are having but I’d add that up to more than 10g I think – balsamic vinegar is also horrendously high in carbs, apple cider vinegar is a lower carb choice
    There’s a huge body of evidence now that artificial sweeteners spike insulin as much as sugar and therefore you can’t access fat stores, so maybe try nixing the Diet Coke/lemonade – it could also just be a plateau!

L x

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Looks like several of us are stumblin and shufflin..hope we’re all doing the Harlem Shuffle! 🥰
    I feel hungry all the time at the moment. Im just keeping it very simple and counting calories,tho I ‘ll prob get drummed out of the forum for not counting carbs!
    Have managed five days of 1000 cals,may do 1200,1300 for weekend. Have deffo dropped a little weight since Monday,so havent quite hung up my dancing shoes yet!
    Still, not carb counting feels …strange!. And my Carb Monster is jubilant,thinks she has won! She has won the battle maybe,but not the war.
    Have a great weekend folks and Rock Around The Clock! XX 💃🏼💃🏼🎶💃🏼🎶💃🏼🎶

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

OMG Lauren- thank you SO much. I’d counted my total carbs at just 8-10ish & calories around 300-320 BUT that was when we weren’t eating coleslaw with the salad. OOPS! Hellmans adds 4.6carbs & a whopping 258 cals per 100gm. Thankfully they are nearly always out of stock & have many times given us Eastman – which is under a third of the cost & only 116 calories/100g & 4.7carbs. Well, we can do without it & eat more Romaine. I usually use either the mango & chilli sauce from Tesco or a balsamic from Asda which we like BUT we don’t let it swim in it so I think allowing 2carbs for each is about right. I’m now using silverskin pickled onions which unbelievably is around 4 per 100gms of carbs compared to ordinary onions – which at 8 carbs per 100gm we’re no longer buying. If we run out of spring onions 3gm carbs in 100gm. then I’ll use pickled ones. Beetroot – very small amount 20gm or so, avocado are VERY small & just 1/2 each. Feta 30-50gms. Maybe I should try some Sauerkraut or pickled cabbage etc. instead of coleslaw. Still highish on carbs but a LOT less calories than coleslaw.
    Thank goodness we’d not been having coleslaw initially & I often added up in my head that some days we’d only had around 600 calories. It’s my fault for thinking we were only having 10/300ish & forgetting we added coleslaw. We tend not to have a salad when we have a cooked meal, just today when we fasted for 40hrs. Coleslaw now is ONLY when we have a plain omelette with mushrooms or spinach & no cheese. Smaller amount for hubby & no chocolate to keep under 800cals.

I’ve been reading up & it seems that some people can plateau for 12 weeks!!!! I’ve been finding both sodas make me feel like I’ve had something sweet for hours so I’ll get some sparkling water instead or drink our lovely cold Welsh Water – which is purer than bottled water.

Hoping the weight will whoosh away quickly now I’ve realised the error of my ways. Thanks once again.
    Lindaxxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Linda and hubby I had another thought re your carbs – cod in cheese sauce – I find it hard to imagine that’s only 2g carbs, there will be carbs in the cheese (from the milk) and whatever they use to thicken the sauce which is likely either flour or cornflour?? Are you looking at the right “carbs” number? Sorry I’m not trying to be patronising but it’s easy to get wrong – you need to look at carbs in total not just “of which sugars”. I forget if you’re in the UK or elsewhere but if you are don’t deduct the fibre from total carbs, they are listed separately in the uk.

I’ve just put what you said you’d eat (guesstimating the weights and knowing things like beetroot are heavy, so 50g is probably a couple slices) into my planner and come up with the following – obviously might not be completely accurate but it might just be worth double checking all your numbers if you’re worried you aren’t losing, but it could just be a blip and the scales might be moving again, don’t forget to measure yourself too in case you’re losing inches not weight

Romaine lettuce 100g = 1.7g
    Cherry tomatoes 1g for 3
    1/4 average avocado 1g
    50g beetroot 4g
    25g onion 2g (that’s about a quarter of an onion)
    100g non luxury average coleslaw 4.8g
    50g feta 1g
    15ml balsamic vinegar 3.5g

Total for lunch 19g

Leeks 100g 3g
    100g standard cheese sauce ready made 6.8
    Broccoli 100g 2.4g
    Cauliflower 100g 4g

Total for dinner 16.2 (assuming nothing added to the cauli/broccoli mash)

Total for day ~45g

Keep going you can do it!

😃
    Lauren x

• posted by florob85
    on

Our messages crossed Linda! So pleased you’ve figured some stuff out, I have the Eastmans coleslaw sometimes, it’s not at all bad – not as creamy as the others but nowhere near as many calories either! I was in Wales last weekend near Welshpool, the water was lovely, back to Suffolk now where the water is basically liquid limescale 😂

Keep shuffling and stumbling everyone, sorry I’ll stop monopolising the thread now!

Lauren xx

on

Just sent a LONG reply that got lost when I tried to edit it – mango & chilli sauce or Ranch are my preferences. I worked out my carbs & calories before we started adding Coleslaw to our salads. Forgot to add it in & thankfully we haven’t been using coleslaw for too long on our salads. The beetroot is just for a different flavour a small jar lasts us a week so probs only about 20gms apiece. The avocados are VERY small 1-2tablespoons each (hubby gets the 2 as he’s 6ft 3in so he could probably do with a few extra calories) I always give him the lion’s share so probably under for me.
    Old age can be a bug*er especially when you forget to add a high carb & high calorie item to your carefully worked out salad.
    Why are salad onions 3carbs/100gms, picked silverskin 4gm & ordinary onions 8gm? – CRAZY!
    Thank-you Lauren for putting me straight.
    Linda XXX

on

It’s probably 2gms of carbs per 100grams & that’s the sauce with it too. Supposed to be for 2 people. I think 160gms of fish in it. Tesco Finest cod in cheese sauce. I know it was low calorie & low carbs. It’s the 1st dish that we’ve had prepared in a long, long time as I was gobsmacked with calories & carbs, Got a feeling 1/2 a pack was just 161cals. NOT on website now. DUH! I’d swap it any day for the Aldi 3 fish pie with smoked haddock, cod & salmon – OMG that’s a gourmet delight even if it does have a potato topping. Some of the Aldi fish dishes look delightful but I want to read the packages. I can’t shop for another month until hubby is 3 weeks after his 2nd jab. Well, I could BUT I really don’t want to bring anything back to him as he’s had a rough old year+.
    I’m normally pretty good with working things out – ex auditor amongst many other things. I can’t believe i forgot to add in coleslaw! DUH!
    Thanks again Laurel XX

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, looks like I have really got my dancing shoes on. Already lost 1.5 kgs since Monday so already reached both my goals and my check in day in Tuesday. Mustnt jinx it as I still have the weekend to get through. It does help to prove that this diet doesnt necessarily mess with metabolism. I know I can quickly gain if I have a big cheat it is soon turned around as long as I get straight back on with it. Also, being on this diet almost permanently it is still possible to have reasonable loss when I really set my mind to it and not allow anything to creep in that shouldnt. I think the TRE is helping as I dont have any temptation in the evening because I know I cant have anything.

Linda, I think Lauren has answered most of the important points you might need to watch out for although your diet is pretty good. I wasnt going to join in as she is doing all the hard graft. However, I noticed your beetroot comes from a jar. You may not be aware but this is nothing like real beetroot in terms of calories and carbs. A plain cooked beetroot of around 50g (which Lauren thinks you would have in a couple of slices) is just about 24 cals and 1.5g carbs. The pickled kind from a jar is preserved in vinegar, sugar and salt. In comparison it has – again for 50g around 34 cals and 14g carbs. Also, beetroots are very good for you but pickled beets lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing. Just thought it is another tweak you might want to look at. Ignore if it is not something you are bothered about.

Have a good weekend everyone.

on

The fish & sauce was Haddock (not Cod) in cheesy Mornay sauce & from Asda 320gm with 48% fish. Didn’t say the haddock was smoked but it sure tasted like it. It was absolutely delicious with cauliflower & broccoli & did the 2 of us. Just 133 calories & 2 grams of carbs, With about 100gms of broccoli & 100gms of cauliflower the whole meal should be around 200cals each & a total of 5-9 carbs (depending on where you get your carb readings from = pity they don’t all match, (I know some are from US where they also count the fibre)).

I’d thoroughly recommend this meal for 2 £3.50 each or 2 for £6.- CHEESY HADDOCK MORNAY 320gm from Asda – I know some of us don’t like cooking & would give anything for a keto friendly ready meal.

Sunshine girl – nah, give me a jar, with as little as we use they’d go off before we finished them & I’m messy & clumsy at the best of times. Had plenty of home grown & cooked throughout the years, they are just SO messy though. Mine are 27cals per 100gm & 5 carb. I weighed them today (making a red mess that looked like I’d beaten up hubby really badly) & mine were 15gm, hubby 18gm. Hubby can’t eat beetroot in the US, maybe because he’d always had home cooked, he loves this as a very small side.

on

Congrats Sunshine girl for a good weight loss & making your goals. I will be a bit more mindful in the future. I’d done up all the calories & carbs when we first started the diet. Totally forgot we added in Coleslaw later. I will possibly drop in Aubergine (in jars) instead of coleslaw. Far less carbs & calories & we both thoroughly enjoy it. We both remember picking up some HUGE jars of aubergine pesto & also roasted pepper pesto – had to be about 1.5kg for the crazy stupid price of 20p or so. We wiped the shelf clean of them & were eating them for about a year & enjoying every spoonful. One of these days we may see them again – fingers crossed.We bought 1 of each& sat in the car eating some, just to see if we enjoyed before we wiped the shelf. 🙂

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

It’s incredible how little things can make the difference in our daily input. My first meal yesterday was lunch, and I thought I was being healthy by mixing up a hard boiled egg, an avocado and a splash of French dressing. But when I entered it into my Fitbit was shocked to find a total of 424 calories! The avocado alone was 322. Also 19g carbs!! (plus 37g fats and 9g protein. One thing I’m really not good at is keeping track of what I’m consuming. I’d assumed that was a really good lunch choice but apparently not!

Good luck this weekend everyone.

on

Yep, It’s far too easy to go offtrack badly with this diet. That’s why I religiously weighed up every meal we were likely to have in the beginning of the diet. I tend to put approx the same amount of veggies in every time (There is no way I’m gonna weigh up every single meal I cook.) If I’m a few cals or carbs out then so be it, I won’t normally be out by much. (Unless I repeat my horrendous mistake of forgetting I added in Coleslaw to an already counted meal of course – being mindful of this now though) Avocados are a bitch though – that’s why I always order the small ones 4 in a pack. Leave them out for a few days & then put them in the fridge where they’ll be fine for a week or 2. The number of times they have subbed them with kiwi fruit though has gotten beyond a joke. Obviously the picker has never tried either. They do occasionally sub the tiny ones with sometimes the same amount of large ones charging the same amount – Thank-you Tesco or Asda.

Came downstairs one day to find Hubby was in the process of eating his 2nd large one with a BIG tub of luxury coleslaw. – That was his full amount of carbs & calories eaten for a week. I need to be here 24/7 to stop such gluttony. :0 I keep buying pork scratchings from Tesco BUT Mr Greedy quietly sneaks them into a pocket & eats the whole lot, leaving me the crumbs of about 1-2gms in the bottom. That’s all I wanted anyways – I suppose it keeps him in ketosis 🙂 He says ‘you shouldn’t have bought them for me’ My reply is ‘you asked me to buy them specifically, you said you’d share them with me & cut down on eating the whole packets yourself this time’ I suppose there are worse things he could eat. lol

No weight loss again today, been here SO many times with diets before BUT although I’m pissed off about it I’m not despondent yet as I feel things like my fatty stores are starting to shift – I’m seeing definite indentations when I go to do my injection & also less places to hold a small amount of skin/fat to inject into. Now if my old brain will let me remember when I add things into already planned meals then we’ll be OK.

We have that very tasty Cheesy Haddock Mornay again tonight – we’re both very much looking forward to it as it was really good – easy day for me & a very low calorie & low carb day too. Down to make a mushroom & spinach omelette for lunch in an hour. Take care all

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,hope you all ok.I didn’t weigh myself this morning as haven’t had the best week.My enthusiasm seemed to peak and plummet on various days so best not to know the consequences of that.I have put my dancing shoes back on and will strive to get jiving today.Dawn X

• posted by Busybee
    on

It’s rather quiet here lately!
    I’ve slipped off the dance floor and have been jiggly to avoid the carb monster who is firmly in charge here at the moment.
    I’m eating too much of the wrong thing, not enjoying it but not doing anything about it.
    Self sabotage yet again but waiting for the switch to turn on in my brain so I can get back on track.
    X B

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m still here, shuffling along rather than jiving, balancing between a desire to feed my demons and a desire to lose weight, and trying to manage the stress in ways other than eating.
    One meal at a time!

• posted by florob85
    on

I’m still here too, I stopped posting for a few days as I felt like I was taking over a bit (a lot!) – crippling insecurity much?!

I’m like Ruby, stumbling a bit, I was super motivated after my break but work has been rubbish (and is set to get worse – I have 210 pieces of work to mark in two weeks as well as starting trimester 3 teaching module leading two modules on Cambridge and Chelmsford campuses!) so I’ve fallen halfway off the wagon again and struggling to get back on, just couldn’t cope with full blown carb flu or whatever bug I had as well as trying to deal with work. I’ll keep stumbling though!

L x

on

Hello all, I’m still here, plodding along with varying degrees of discipline!

Good news is that I had a bit of a whoosh over the last couple of weeks. Was 137 for a few days and even down to 136.2 one day.

Bad news is that I then took my eye off the ball and let the carb monster in the back door (his name is Chocolate!). I’m currently in the 138s, which I’m still pleased with but know that I need to up my game for the rest of the week. My main excuse (yup, I always have them!) is that I’m very busy at the mo – doing some supply teaching at my old school and this is the heaviest week. As if that somehow prevents me from also being careful about my food intake . . . . .

Then it’s my birthday on Friday. Which I’m looking forward to, though no particular plans. But a friend came round at the weekend and brought a huge Waitrose chocolate cake. I honestly don’t know what to do with it. I will definitely have a slice – be rude not to – but there’s no way that even I would want to plough through it after that. But don’t want to waste it either. I would take it into school but not sure if that’s allowed under Covid? Anyway, my dilemma!!

Hope everyone else ok and that we get our mojo back. Maybe we should aim for a synchronised dance one day?!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Morning Jivers, shufflers and those of us just standing on the side of the dance floor waiting to jump in!

Well done DCT on your whoosh and getting to almost where you want to be. You really have done so well and I think you should set out a weekly meal planner for those of us who are struggling so that we can enjoy some success with you!!! 🏆 It seems that a few of us are struggling to get into the groove this week. I wonder why that is? I think I know why I am struggling; I have been trying to be or stay slim all my adult life- I’m struggling to lose any weight at the moment and it seems that no matter how hard I try I just don’t lose. I am totally fed up with trying hard and losing nothing! I hoped that the Huel shakes would spur me on to lose a few pounds but they made no different weight wise. I am sure that nutritionally they were good for my ageing and somewhat weary body. This week after my disappointing recent results I decided to give up with the scales (again)! I have had enough of their insults. I feel that this journey is beginning to weigh me down and take over my life and l am constantly thinking about it and worrying about what I eat, how much I weigh and I wonder if I am aiming for something that I now fear is probably impossible. So this week I have eaten well but well within reason, had an ice cream when we went to the seaside on Saturday and decided to TRY and be more relaxed about the whole weight loss issue, I weighed myself today and was exactly the same weight as I was last Tuesday. I don’t want to be obsessed (which I think I am) anymore with food or lack of food but feel I need to enjoy my life and nourish my body so I am going to try a more relaxed approach. I started my Alendronic Acid osteoporosis treatment yesterday- the unexpected diagnosis was a massive shock and I wonder if the stress of that has caused me to worry more and hence my struggle losing weight. I wonder how much a lifetime of dieting has contributed to it!!
    I am not giving up, I can’t, or else I will go back to being obese but I am going to try to relax about life and food and not be so strict. I will still be jiving to July with you all and following your journeys but my journey has changed course slightly and is going to be about feeling healthy and accepting myself rather than about struggling to try to achieve what I really do believe now is impossible. Sorry if this sounds negative, I want it to be a positive step.

Have a great week everyone.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi CCATHY and all.
    CC you don’t sound negative at all,just realistic. I resonate with all that you say.
    Your diagnosis being a shock I can totally empathise with. Getting lymphoedema and lipodema diagnosis right after I had lost a ton of weight was disheartening and scary. So much to deal with in terms of shock to the system and the difficult self care regime to follow really has given me a kick in the teeth. Subconsciously maybe,at least partly,I look at my mis shapen painful legs and at the back of my mind feel so discouraged because there is v little help and support out there,as in the UK the medics by their own admission have little knowledge of the lymphatic system..plus there’s never any good news stories on the lymph forum.
    The efforts I have to make by myself just to read up on it all, try to separate the wheat from the chaff,in order to try to halt the progress of this disease can be overwhelming.
    And when I’m overwhelmed,I want to eat!
    Last week I decided to go very simple,just do a 1000 cal a day and it’s working! Ive lost a little and I too have decided I’m not agonising over my weight any more.
    Like you,DCT,I’m very hopeful of future jives for the sake of my health,but for now I’m just doing a very sedate little two step!
    It will take longer than July but I’m still here,in the corner twirling in my dancing slippers!
    To all who are similarly struggling,just take your partners for the next dance! And remember,its never the last waltz! XX

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ps Sorry meant to type CC not DCT! X
    DCT whooshes are so lovely and rewarding! XX

on

Hello all, just to wish you a happy weekend. A Bank Holiday in the UK but the weather is not looking good ….

It’s my birthday today and I’d mentioned earlier in the week that a friend had brought a cake and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. Well, my step daughter came round yesterday to bring a gift, so we had a slice in the garden and my game plan had been to give the rest of it to her to take home for her family. But I thought it was dreadful! I was expecting a moist yummy chocolate cake but it was dry and more coffee flavoured, yet gave me an immediate and unpleasant sugar rush. I assumed everyone else felt the same so didn’t offer it to her. But afterwards when I said to my OH how awful was that cake, he’d though it was ok.

A bit rambling but I hope makes the point that when we’ve been on this WOE for so long, our bodies gradually get used to limited sugar and when we do have something out of the ordinary then boy do we know it! Sadly I think the rest of the cake will end up in the bin.

But I’m not saying my diet is perfect and completely sugar free. Far from it. Wine is my weakness, and the odd chocolate binge here and there. Cathy you mentioned my meal plans but they’re pretty sporadic! I’ve had a busy week but will certainly have a think and post anything relevant.

Must dash now but wishing you all well and will post again soon X

on

Happy Birthday Dreamscometrue- I love your birthday cake story. I know what you mean about sweetness coming as a shock to our refined palettes. I hope you have a lovely day and enjoy a glass or two of wine this evening, I remember reading something in the Jason Fung intermittent fasting book about feasting at celebrations which I think is a healthy approach. I also read something recently in an Ayurvedic book about the 80/20 rule – Eating well for 80% of the time which ensures we stay healthy without ever feeling deprived allowing 20% to indulge in whatever we want. Something like that anyway.

Have a lovely birthday and thank you for being a supportive friend on the forum to us all.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Sorry to hear of your osteoporosis diagnosis Clarinet Cathy. I don’t know what your numbers are, how you were diagnosed or if you have any support but there are a couple of very good sites to gain help and information. The first one is the HealthUnlocked site and the Bone Health forum. This is a UK site and the ROS nurses are available there for questions (there’s also a free phone number for the UK). The second is a US site Inspire.com but is very useful and there are people from the UK there. Like many conditions osteopaenia/osteoporosis is another that benefits from doing our own research and decision making. I’m sorry if you are aware of this just wanted to,let you know there is some help out there if you need it. Have you been advised to take vitamin D3? There are other fairly standard supplements that many take vitamin K2 (not K or K1), boron, magnesium (there are several types ) being the main ones. It is best to get calcium from diet if at all possible. Best wishes

on

Hi AnnieW

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of some osteoporosis information. I am taking Calcium and D3 tablets and Alendronic Acid once a week. Because my GP was unhelpful I spoke to a friend who is a GP and then contacted one of the Specialist Nurses at the Royal Osteoporosis Society for some advice re medication and she was really lovely. I was so touched and moved by her kindness that I immediately donated so that they can keep offering their wonderful service to other people like me who need help and advice. I could have cried when I finished the call with her because she was so nice. I didn’t know about the US Inspire site so thank you and I will check it out. The reason I asked for a DEXA scan was because two dentists commented on significant bone loss in my jaw when I required a dental extraction last autumn. I thought it was strange and I know that the dexa scan criteria is pretty strict here in UK so I was surprised that I got one, The scan showed osteoporosis in my left neck of femur -2.9 and L1-L4 spine -2.1 and I didn’t expect that- I am 59 years old. Thank you for your kind and helpful advice. I’m off to check out the Inspire.com website. I think there are a few of us on here with osteoporosis- I am glad I know about it so I can treat it but it was a shock.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Do check out HealthUnlocked.com and find the bone health forum. Also ask to be checked for any underlying conditions such as hyperparathyroidism (different to thyroid) because if you haven’t fractured there may be a cause for your osteoporosis before going on medication.

on

I have just been on their their website and found it really helpful.Thank you so much. I have been checked out for hyperparathyroidism and any underlying causes and my blood tests were all normal apart from a raised cholesterol probably due to my consumption of fat doing this diet since 2017!! I am now having to eat low fat against my better judgement to reduce my cholesterol! I am having olive spread rather than butter, have cut out cream in my coffee and am eating low fat Greek Yoghurt and no hard cheese. I will repeat the cholesterol test in July to see if it is coming down. My cholesterol was 6.3 and my LDL was 4.1 and the nurse said I have to get that to below 3. My Q risk is low at 5%.

on

Hi, still here, down to 13stone 8lbs which is a massive 1.4lb down in just under 4weeks :(. I REALLY have been trying hard. If I can get down to 13stone I’ll be in the overweight category rather than the Obese one. I must confess to buying a loaf of bread – Braces Vortigern Wholemeal & Seeds Bloomer 800G which has 13.1gms of carbs in 1 44gm slice. Have been SO craving bread so thought if I just had egg dishes then I could afford a treat & maybe have an egg mayo sandwich or a ham sandwich. I was good & had a ham one. It was delightful & the bread was scrumptious.However, once I make some room in the freezer it’ll be going in there as hubby thinks he has to have it, just because it’s there. I must admit to being tempted too. Today (after the bread yesterday) I was still in ketosis BUT at 1.3 instead of a more normal 2.7-2.9 however my BP had risen dramatically to levels I haven’t seen since before I started – my BP is normally now almost normal or sometimes below, B.Sugars 5.5 instead of in 4’s, my eyes too went blurry – I think it made a pretty big difference, which I wasn’t expecting. I decided to be a LOT more mindful of what I stuff my face with.

Cathy, sorry about your oesteo – Myself & hubby have it too. 🙁 We use an oil D3 & K2 as oils help your body to uptake it better. I know that they should be taken together as 1 helps the other 1 to work. Can’t remember which one though (old timers). We use this one, pretty inexpensive as it’s a 60ml bottle. Bought last one about 3 months ago & with both taking we’ve used under 20ml so it should last us about 9 months at just £12.99 it’s a steal. I must admit since being on keto my shoulders, elbows, hands & neck have improved but my back still bothers me. 30yrs ago I was told my back was like someone of 80 after I had a very bad backwards fall down a long flight of concrete steps shattering my elbow & landing on my head, which did nothing for my C1-C2 vertebrae. I wonder if my back is now like someone of 110yrs? See if your doc will give you Fenbid Forte 10% gel. It’s the only thing that works for me. I had to go to 1%, 2%, 5% over a long period until they let me have the 10%. I can’t take ibuprofen as I take Zapain full strength – codeine phosphate/Paracetamol 30mg/500mg up to 4x a day. Hubby has 4 nerve impingement’s in his & it’s only morphine that helps him OR steroid injections which ha was due to have a repeat of last April, now they want to laser the nerves but when??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Strength-Gluten-Free-Vegetarian-Supplement/dp/B08JCR1XF6/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-lq2a1_0?crid=2MDX58OQI0MNG&cv_ct_cx=d3+and+k2+vitamin&dchild=1&keywords=d3+and+k2+vitamin&pd_rd_i=B08JCR1XF6&pd_rd_r=04d68540-5201-40f5-9cb8-9ca3e3c3f6bc&pd_rd_w=FWX3i&pd_rd_wg=nUfDN&pf_rd_p=9729b33d-847e-45d9-aed3-3ca2b55e896f&pf_rd_r=DTQXTJVKCRH39YM71HX8&psc=1&qid=1619824222&sprefix=D3%2Caps%2C182&sr=1-1-22a6e085-98be-41d5-a416-4c8c5c75905e

Brain fog still, when i said we’d substitute coleslaw for Aubergine – i meant Artichoke, All refs to aubergine I meant artichoke. You must have all thought we were a bit strange sitting in a car going mental over huge jars of aubergine for 20p. NOT that there is anything wrong with aubergine but artichokes are in a different class IMHO. 🙂 🙂 Yum, Yum.

Lauren – come back & post. It’s not you who has verbal or typing Diarrhea – it’s me! Which is why I stopped myself coming on here, 🙂 🙂 🙂 I’m still sticking to the BSD for at least the next 2 weeks & then we’ll decide as hopefully we can get away in the motor-home for a few weeks, depending on hubby’s future hospital/docs appts. I must admit I haven’t been to docs for over a year as I then wanted to go on the shakes or a very low carb diet (Newcastle diet) & my doc was VERY disdainful so I’ve cut her out of the picture totally. I intend on going back when I have lost at least another 1.5stone to see what she says then. Cutting my own meds. down. I used to work for a major pharmaceutical so will be very careful. Stepdaughter is a doc in US & she says ‘Go for it!’

I hope all of you are well & losing weight more rapidly than me. Enjoy the Bank Holiday if you can with the dreadful weather, gales along the West coast along with torrential rain – typical bank hols weather for us!

• posted by Busybee
    on

I feel a bit guilty as I haven’t been around lately and a few of my virtual friends are struggling with health issues – Yowzer, DCT, CC and others.
    However it’s great to see how we all pull together to give information, advice and a big hug to support us when we’re feeling down.
    I’ve been feeling a bit down lately for various reasons but I’ve given myself a good talking to, have polished my dancing shoes and am ready to get back onto the dance floor.
    Back again to O.D.A.A.T. and love to you all.
    X B

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’m still here as well, have been sulking because I’ve been sitting on the same weight with no change in measurement for several weeks. But on the other hand, no gain for several weeks either so yay!

Still staying between 8-900 cal, 20-30 carbs, 45-60 min walking each day, 2l water. If anyone can pick holes in what I’m doing I’d be so glad to hear it!

It’s been superb weather here, temps in low 20s with light breezes. Perfect weather for walking and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my exercise each day. Still waiting on my new grandchild 😁

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone .. it’s all happening here in Bank Hol Lpool as there are several ‘no mask no social distancing’ events going on as a research experiment. Hope the outcome is good! Fingers crossed ..
    ANNIEW I think I know you from the fasting forum? X
    BUSYBEE youre making me jealous!the Red Fox! I LOVE IT !! Specially indoors sitting by the big crackling fire! X
    Sending hugs as you said you’ve been feeling a bit down (((((( xx))))))
    MARIET keep us posted on new baby news!x

I’m fed up dragging this big backside around behind me,and it doesn’t look very elegant on the dance floor!
    So I’m determined not to fall into the trap of..”oh it’s bank holiday,so I deserve a few drinks and some nibbles…
    chocolate? Yes please!..a bit of cake..why not!”
    High time to pull my socks up,try much harder,and do much much better!

Happy weekend everyone…Dance yourselves dizzy!xx First May today…does anyone remember May processions as a kid?
    🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌻🌼🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼🌸🌻🌼

on

Yowzer, maypole dancing.

on

Oh I wish I could do maypole dancing . . . or any kind of dancing come to that. But I’ve done something to my back and have been hobbling around the last 3 days. Have had occasional lower back problems before but this is in a slightly different place, so something new to manage. Am doing lots of home therapy so am sure it’ll pass. But am annoyed as I had various plans for the weekend but they are all active: wanted to do a couple of runs, take the dog out for some very long walks, and generally get on with house clearing, decluttering etc. And whilst in a way it’s nice to have an excuse not to do any of those things and just rest, I can’t really get comfortable for long so that doesn’t help! And to top it all the scales are just loving this period of inactivity to take the opportunity to add to my woes and creep up again. Grrrrr!!!!

But keep on keeping on. I’m sure I’ll be fine in a few days and can hopefully get back on the whoosh wagon again. And it does also illustrate to me the important role that regular exercise is playing in my Jive to July journey.

Hope everyone else is ok? Reading posts from the last few days it seems like we’re all struggling with something or other. Sending love and strength to you all, and here’s hoping that the merry month of May turns out to be exactly that for all of us 🙂

Good luck everyone, and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Wish we had your weather Mariet! Go well everyone, and do check in here when you get the chance X

on

PS – for those of us in the UK – at least we have the finale of Line of Duty to look forward to tonight 🙂 (Or is that just me?!)

on

Dct, I was in the school maypole dancing group when I was about 8 years old. It was a regional thing held at a place called Roundhay Park in Leeds, all the schools had an entry. All I remember is my knickers falling down and I had to step out of them and leave them. You know what they say, the show must go on. I was mortified at the time.

Shame we cant post pictures here as I have a visual with instructions of back exercises I got when I went to a one week rehab centre. It is specifically for lower back and they work a treat. You could try a couple. Lie on your back and slowly raise your right arm above your head while stretching out the opposite leg. Return and do on other side. 20 times. Lie on back and lift your bum off the floor, 20 times. Finally – although there are more – lie on back, knees up and let your knees/legs fall to the floor on each side like you are rocking from side to side. If they help I can give you some more. I have to be very careful with my lower back which is why I am gardening a bit at a time but then get down on the floor and do the exercises while watching TV.

on

Ooh thanks Sunshine-girl, will try those. I did some yoga style stretches earlier on and think they helped.

Love the knickers story! I seem prone to things like that. Years ago had just started wearing a bra and went to a friend’s outdoor birthday party. The bra was uncomfortable so I managed to slip it off and shove it in my pocket, only to lose it and have to explain to my friends dad – in front of all the others – what I’d lost.

Then there’s the time I had an important client meeting at work and one of my hold up stockings (remember them?!) fell down.

I could go on, but you get the drift🙀

• posted by Busybee
    on

Yes, I have fond memories of May Day celebrations- we would dress up in pretty dresses and local businesses would decorate their lorries to roam around the area with us throwing flowers and singing. As for the Maypole, I wasn’t brr very good at it and often got tangled up in the ribbons!
    I’m waiting eagerly to see LOD and to find out who H is! I’ve changed my mind so often over the years and wonder whether we actually will find out!!
    Feeling better and more positive today and back on track.
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hello all, Happy Star Wars Day!
    I’m checking in as it’s been a while. I’ve had a few things going on (work, family, health.. or life in other words!) but still continuing with my slow waltz. We had a few days away over the weekend and it was lovely, driving to different country towns and eating pub meals , I didn’t stay on plan totally but was sensible and avoided desserts and cakes. I just don’t have the appetite I had a few years ago and find it hard to overeat even if I wanted to.

Although I haven’t been posting I’ve been reading everyone’s comments. I too was a maypole dancer, our Brownie troop used to dance around the maypole in our village square. My dad still has the newspaper clipping from when I was an attendant to the May Queen, I was about 9 or 10 I think.

DCT – a belated happy birthday 🙂 Your cake story made me chuckle and I definitely find my tastes have changed too, it’s so much easier to avoid cake nowadays as I’m just not tempted, and when I am I’m often disappointed.

Cathy your plan sounds sensible – I think with all you’ve been through recently it makes sense to focus on your health. Also the BSD and Fast 800 both have 3 approaches – 800 calories for 8-12 weeks, or 5:2, or just eating to Med principles and not calorie counting, so you will still be on plan – I know you have to adjust it to suit cholesterol lowering foods.

Anyway I’m back home now, and back on plan. I’ll be weighing in on Friday so hopefully will still be around the same I was last week. I’ve been keeping up with my waking and am averaging 10-13,000 steps a day most days.
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,I’m afraid I still haven’t got my dancing shoes on properly yet,my mind hasn’t really been on the job in hand,too many distractions at the moment but I will get there!This is 2nd week of DD’s GCSE assessment tests,2 more weeks of revision after this then final week of tests is 24th May,will be pleased when it’s all done.So have been slightly preoccupied with that and also yesterday was the first time in a year that my Mum has been able to see my Dad properly,as she went with my sister to the care home for a face to face visit.Amazingly,even though his dementia has deteriorated massively over theyear,he recognised her (she was wearing a see through mask which hopefully helped) and we really couldn’t have hoped for more.My sister sent me a photo of them together which made me burst into tears.My sister and I had been concerned about the visit as didn’t know how my Dad would react so it’s a massive relief that the visit went well.He’s losing quite a bit of weight at the moment which is a worry but we know he is being well cared for.I’m just keeping everything crossed that the rules will allow for a third regular visitor soon so that I can get to see him.
    My birthday is coming up soon and I really hoped to weigh a LOT less by then and I totally WON’T but I’m not worrying about it,the fact I’m still reading the forum posts daily at the moment is proof to me that I will do this🤞 Dawn X

on

Dawn that is such lovely news about your mum seeing your dad. And I do hope that you can see him soon as well. Just be kind to yourself for now: with that and the DD you have enough on your plate (pardon the pun!) to focus 100% on weight etc. But I’m sure you will start losing again when things calm down, and your sparkly chart will be proud of you! X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks DCT🙂 I must admit my sparkly chart is looking a bit bare on the fridge door at the moment but I’m hoping that by the time we reach July it will be full of weight and inch losses! Dawn X

• posted by Mariet
    on

I must say, my jiving is more like a slow waltz- a very slow waltz. I’m still bouncing around the same couple of kilos but have been asked by a few people if I have lost weight (NOOOOO!) and although measurements are unchanged I know there is a difference- when I stated a month ago I was obliged to undo the button on the waist band of my work trousers if I wanted to sit with any comfort and now they can comfortably stay done up all the time 🙂
    It was International day of the Midwife yesterday and my hospital celebrated by loading us up with sugar heavy cupcakes and biscuits- nothing like trying to undermine the health of your hard working workforce! I did cave for a cupcake but wiped off the icing. Honestly, it was like a tiny wisp of sponge that was there to support a towering mound of soft piped frosting. Even if I wasn’t avoiding sugar it would have made me sick.
    Still no baby, my daughter is a week over now so if nothing happens earlier we should get to meet the little man next Monday which is exciting!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just calling by quickly..I’m staying offline a bit more these days,trying to be more active,but won’t lose touch,this thread and it’s members mean such a lot to me!X
    Today I’m doing a sedate little polka round my living room. Finding life ok on 1000 cals right now..scales need new battery so can only guess,but feel lighter. At the moment cals are working for me,as I m not as limited as when counting carbs. Have enjoyed a bit extra fruit and veg. Keep twirling everyone! XX

on

Hi Yowser

I thought you had gone a little quiet of late and I was thinking of you wondering if you were OK. Lovely to hear that you’re finding 1000 calories are working for you and you sound in a good, positive place. The thread wouldn’t be the same without your wonderful wit, kindness and positivity so keep popping by and keep us updated on your progress. I have had a relaxed week. I actually had a Huel lunch one day because I was craving protein and really fancied a coffee one. I have found it very liberating being more relaxed this week and have felt a lot happier. My clothes fit OK and I am happy with myself for the time being. I am eating sensibly, a little more than I would do normally and enjoying not thinking about food 24/7. I weighed myself on Tuesday and I was exactly the same weight as I had been the previous week which I was pleased about. I will keep track of my weight but I won’t be obsessing about it. I am going out for a good walk every day and have seen a Zumba gold class is opening up a the end of May nearby which looks ideal for me and my bones! My niece who is a nail technician did my nails for me a couple of weeks ago and they have looked really lovely so I am going again next week and will choose another colour! I am hoping to go to stay with my son in London at he end of May so things are definitely looking up.
    Dreamscometrue- how are you doing? Has your back eased up?
    Mariet- good news re the looser trousers- a lovely feeling when clothes fit comfortably.
    Hope everyone has had a good week.

Have a lovely weekend everyone. Keep jiving!

• posted by Busybee
    on

We definitely are virtual twins Zowzer as I too am taking a break for a time. I’m trying a different approach which seems to be working but will see how it goes.
    I will be lurking behind the curtains watching to see how you are all doing.
    Keep on dancing and love to you.
    X B

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

MARIET! A new grandson on Monday at the latest! How exciting!❤️
    BUSYBEE My twin! hope you’re feeling good and that yr different approach works!❤️
    CCATHY thanks for your kind words! ❤️
    I feel like you re food at the moment,I’m doing ok sort of doing my own thing! Maybe when we get right back to normal I’ll be able to do low carb again!
    So happy for you CC that you’ll see your son soon,fingers X’d. My DD and SIL lived in London for a few years and I loved visiting them there.
    Hope everyone is dancing their socks off..
    Here’s a song called Waltzing Along by one of my favourite bands,for all those waltzing today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0QXRlsbwg

on

Sounds like we are all on a slow waltz at the moment!

Yowzer I hear what you say about not being online as much. It can be a huge gobbler of time. I’ve been back at work these last couple of weeks and am conscious I’ve not been around my virtual world that much at all. But even though that’s been circumstantial, it’s a good discipline.

I’ll be interested to see how you get on with a different plan Busybee, it can be good to ring the changes. And you too Yowzer with a change of focus to calories not carbs. Sue I hope that things settle down for you in every area of your life, and Cathy it’s great to hear that your more relaxed approach is working.

Mariet do let us know your forthcoming good news!! And Dawn, really hope you get to see you Dad soon X

Hello to everyone else on here too. Keep posting!

I’ve had a frustrating week. Been really busy at (temp) work whilst at the same time struggling with back problems. Thankfully the back is now improving, but the net result is that my exercise programme has ground to a complete halt over the last ten days, and I’ve also been consuming more calories and carbs than I should. I’d been doing great and lost a few pounds but they’ve mostly crept back on again. So I’ve been feeling pretty disheartened tbh, but starting to feel better physically so will climb back on that wagon and try to get my mojo back!

I’ve been feeling much more positive today – though have way overeaten (including major liquorice allsort incident on way home from supermarket!). There are still 8 weeks to go on this journey and I’m determined to get back to where I was a couple of weeks ago, then try to push ahead to my goal.

Good luck everyone X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,DCT sorry I meant to reply to your kind comment last week but have good news after hearing at press conference last night that care homes are allowing 5 regular visitors instead of 2,I’m booked in to see my Dad next Wednesday night!Last weekend marked a year since his last day at home when we realised his dementia had got to the stage when my Mum could no longer care for him and,because of various hospital visits for him,subsequent self isolation,covid cases in homes etc,I’ve only seen him a couple of times and I think they were confusing visits for him through a window so we didn’t make them a regular thing.So it’s lovely to have a proper visit booked.

I’m afraid my dance shoes have been thrown in the cupboard with the heels snapped off recently😩I weighed myself this morning and,seeing the big gain since Christmas,it’s given me the incentive to get jiving again but I’m starting properly on Friday as it’s my birthday on Thursday and I really think I need to give this woe 100% for it to work for me and if I do that I can realistically still get pretty close to my goal by July.My clothes are feeling REALLY tight again and I’m hoping the discomfort of that at least can be rectified within 2 weeks🤞😀
    Lots of you seem to be doing well with various personal tweaks so well done all and KOKO! Dawn X

on

Hi Dawn

Great news that you can visit your Dad at last. So exciting! I’m really pleased for you.

Have a lovely birthday on Thursday. Enjoy your day, and all the best for your restart on Friday. Will see you there 🙂 X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks DCT 🙂.Dawn X

on

Morning Jivers
    I’m still here and sticking to low carb but eating more and not gaining weight! Am staying at 148 which is 10 lb from my ideal weight but I feel I am enjoying life more than when I am obsessing and worrying about everything I eat and getting fed up that I can’t lose weight. My diary is getting quite full as lockdown here in the UK eases and I am very aware that I can’t afford to put on any more weight in order to fit in my massive wardrobe of lovely summer clothes so I am going to weigh myself every few days to ensure that there is no weight creeping back on. I think I will have to accept that 148 is my weight now and therefore I intend to accept and maintain. It has taken me a long time to accept my body. I am still aiming to get my cholesterol down to the healthy range and I am walking as much as I can and making healthy choices. I am looking more at nourishing my body. After a recent conversation with a nurse specialist at the osteoporosis society I did a calcium calculation and my intake of natural calcium is and has been very low due to not eating bread, milk, cereals, fish etc. I am taking a calcium and vitamin D3 Supplement now but because I have cut out so many food groups being a strict vegetarian and doing low carb and low calorie for so long, I do really need to look again at my diet and aim to improve it.

We have so much to look forward to as we come out of a very strict lockdown and it will be lovely to be able to see family and friends after such a long time. I am pleased that we have all kept going and have done our best during this very difficult time and we could all have been about 30 lb heavier had we not had the help of each other here on the thread. Keep doing your best everyone. Still time to make a difference whatever your personal goal is. Don’t be hard on yourselves. Being kind to ourselves and each other is really important.

Please log in or register to post a reply.