I'm a lifelong binge-eater and today is day 1 of the BSD. I'm terrified.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by PeggyCarterRogers
    on

I’m 35 and I’ve binged since I was a child. My mother is a type 2 diabetic and although I’m not, at 286lb I’m very high risk. I’ve tried every diet going over the last 15 years and still the weight piles on because I can’t stop bingeing (not exclusively on sweet/carby foods – any food will do). I’ve tried the GI diet (which seems very similar) a number of times and always failed – I’m terrified that I will fail this time too.

I have 2 children and I want to see them grow up, I want to model a healthy lifestyle for them instead of secretly stuffing myself with everything I can. But I’m scared because after failing so many times it feels like this is my last chance .

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hello Peggy
    you’re not alone in feeling nervous, many people do at the beginning. Remember that the initial diet is only 8 weeks out of your life, and if you wish, you can take it a week at a time.
    With your starting weight you should initially lose a lot in a short time. Don’t be scared of the figures either. 800 calories sounds almost starvation level, but I and many others can testify that, when you eat the right foods, it’s enough not just to get by but to keep you feeling full with no cravings for carbs and sugar – honestly, it may take week 1 – 2 to happen but happen it will.
    We are all here to offer support, call in any time, even if it’s just for a chat. Many people have been through what you are going through now and there are answers to most questions within this site.
    Best of luck on your journey, we’re all here to help you get where you want to be.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hello PeggyCarterRogers, your issue is sounding emotional in that you recognize your situation but have so far failed to deal with it. Lose the majority of carbs and you will soon be inspired to do more generally. We cannot all be wrong. It took me over 10 weeks to get from Obese to Normal range. Yes you have a long way to go but you have at last found the answer – only you can implement it. We are all here in support so just keep in touch, read other posts and search for whichever topic interests you most. You will succeed and this is a great support group. Your Mum will be so proud when she sees you changing in a very short time. All the best, it really works!

on

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it. I think you’re right Bill, it’s the idea of 800 calories that’s the most daunting – it sounds so little! I like the sound of some of the recipes on here though, and I’ll be trying them. Hopefully I’ll start losing weight quite quickly and that will help me keep going.

SkyWalker you’re right too, eating is an emotional crutch for me and has been for as long as I remember. Losing that crutch is scary.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Don’t rush at it even a small reduction in carbs will have a positive effect, Bill is one of the “experts” here having achieved so much.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

He hee
    they call me an expert Peggy but like you I’m just an ordinary person following a new lifestyle. I’ve went from 16 stones 9 to 14 stones 5 and a half pounds in 12 weeks and my blood sugar readings are just about normal now.
    You can do the same, if not better. Yes you will have the odd slip up, if you do, don’t beat yourself up about it, just climb back on board the wagon and continue your journey.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I think it’s possible that eating refined carbs was one of the triggers for your binge eating. After reading the book, it does seem that these foods leave us wanting more, rather than satisfying our hunger. The reports of people not being hungry after the first few days seem to back that up.

Good luck.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi PeggyCarterRogers
    Welcome to the BSD (blood sugar diet) your new best friend!
    You / we all have a hunger hormone (Monster) in us. It’s called GHRELIN (pronounced GREL – in). Some people can’t switch the monster off when it’s been fed!! But you are going to learn how to do it with this diet.

Simple Carbohydrates – Bread, Potatoes, Rice & Pasta keep it hungry. Take them away & eat good, Complex carbs & you tame the monster! Read the book a lot. Read the recipes a lot. Try & get more knowledge about what is good for you to eat. Use the web sites people have posted on the forum. This time you are thinking about learning about food, not just eating anything. This is for you & your children.

Although it says 8 weeks for this diet to work, there is no rush. You keep going & just aim to lose your weight. Professor Roy Taylor , whose work Reversing Type 2 Diabetes, Dr Michael Mosley based this book & diet on, said the important thing is to lose a substantial amount of weight. You say you are not diabetic yet ( although mum is) so let’s keep it that way. Let’s see if we can help you & your mum.

Bill & lots more folk have done wondrous things on this diet & really help & support you. They have woven the T – shirt, never mind worn it.
    No need to be terrified, you will be in control ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜€
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Peggy, welcome to the forums!
    We have all found that eating any starchy carbs increases hunger so once you are not eating them your body will adjust.
    You will find this fairly easy once the first few days are over.
    Have a look at captainlynne’s results – the thread is called something like over the 16 week line. That tells you some of us are doing this for far longer than 8 weeks to get massive changes to our health and wellbeing. Lynne has already lost 48 lbs – Lynne correct me if that is now more than 48lbs – others have lost massive amounts of weight too.
    So don’t be frightened you are safe with our friendly BSD family! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Hawks
    on

Hi Peggy,
    I binge eat too. I think about food every few minutes. Part of it is seeking comfort, part for distraction from things I don’t want to deal with, part carb driven hunger, part the lovely sensory experience of those textures and tastes, and part is a side effect of my medication, and some is probably just a deeply ingrained habit! Plus I enjoy the creative part of baking and the satisfaction of doing it well, and only have two people to feed with it all.
    With all that pushing me to eat, I found the restriction of the 5:2 “starve” days made me very aware of the many, many times each day I felt driven to eat, and this awareness helps, because, the drive isn’t from hunger. It is a very strong “I want” that having strict restrictions means you learn to deal with.
    I can’t ignore it, but I have learned I do not need to satisfy it. I learned I can get through a day of it, and feel fine.

You will learn this too. Find distractions. Find things to do that don’t involve food. Eat slowly and savour what you can eat. Tell yourself that was the food you needed, and find something else that fulfils the other hunger. Find lots of other things to do, so you don’t get bored with one. Do you have anything you wished you could do? Sign up for a course in it. Read a book, go for a walk, pull out weeds, dust the top shelves. Anything but eating.

You can do it.
    For me awareness was the key.

One minute at a time. One hour at a time. One day at a time.
    I have lost 24.5 kg.It has taken me a long time, and has had quite a few long plateaus, but it is still happening. 18.5 kg more to go.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hi Peggy,
    What I did in the first week was make a massive pot of minestrone soup which was only 250 cal for a big bowl – there is a recipe on this website. That way whenever I was hungry I had something filling and healthy at hand!. You can do this. Think how proud you will be when that first 5 kilos has gone – I am on week 4 day 3 and have lost 4 -5 kilos so I am pretty happy with that. Take care. Lucyjane

on

Thank you all for being so lovely!

Day 1 was surprisingly ok, although I don’t think I’ve ever drunk 4 litres of water in a single day before! Today has been a little harder but that’s because the children still have Easter eggs lying about and I’ve been tempted (I did actually unwrap one and sniff it at one point, but I haven’t eaten anything I shouldn’t have). I think one day at a time is probably the key for me – once I start seeing weight loss that will help too.

Lucyjane – I’ve actually done something similar but I made a pan of tomato, lentil and bacon soup.

Hawks – you sound exactly like me! The way you describe your eating (comfort, habit, texture, taste, wanting not needing etc) is just how I would describe mine and your post is very encouraging, thank you. I’ve also noticed just *how* often I think about food and it’s really shocked me. 24.5kg is amazing, well done!

hashimoto – I’ll have a look, thanks. Is it safe to restrict yourself to 800 calories for so long?

• posted by tiptoes
    on

take heart, I have been a binge eater all my life and had several diets. I,m on my 7th week and have lost 22lbs. 4stone left to go. Take each day as a fresh start and don,t get discouraged- you can do it

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Tiptoes! Well done to you on weight loss and great advice ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Peggy the team told Lynne it would be ok to stay on a bit longer. I think you will be fine for a few weeks longer than 8 weeks, you could always ask your GP after,say, 12 weeks ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Day 3 today and so far I haven’t lost any weight. I’m feeling slightly discouraged but I’ll keep going – I guess I need to give it at least a week to see any effect?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Peggy, don’t despair, it may come off in a rush one morning.

Check that you are drinking enough fluids – 2 to 3 litres of water a day.
    Are you keeping your carbs low?
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Odette C
    on

Hello Peggy,
    I have lost 19lbs in 4 weeks, and experienced one frustrating plateau, but starting to see a pattern of losing on 2 or three days a week and staying the same most days. So I am less worried about no weight loss days.
    My Mum often jokes and says she hates being old, but the alternative is worse! I feel the same about the diet, the 8 weeks is challenging but the altenative is to revert to my ‘normal’ eating habits and be lfat and sick. So keep going – it can’t not work, and the timescale is not important as long as you keep going.
    Two suggestions: buy some ketostiks – Sainsburys pharmacy and Boots sell them and check in the morning that you are in ‘ketosis’ – burning fat. (If not cut down the carb element of your food and increase the fat) and secondly, don’t ignore the mindfulness part, it is easy to just focus on the eating, and for some of us mindfulness and meditation is challenging as we resist being quietly in our own company… You could try the website headspace.com where you can do a free 10 day course of short meditations – it is a lovely gift to yourself to take just 10 minutes out the day to care for your emotional well being. Keep posting – we all want to help and know how you are doing!

on

I’m drinking loads of water and I *think* I’m keeping my carbs low – the most carby thing I’ve had is probably carrot, lentils and a small glass of whole milk (not together!).

on

Day 4: I’ve lost 2.5lb and 2 inches off my waist! I’m so pleased! Thanks for all the kind words and support.

I’m off to the cinema tonight though, so I really need to have iron willpower! I may get myself some minty chewing gum just so I’m not tempted by sweets.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Peggy if you think you may be tempted take a BSD snack with you – a few nuts or seeds, small piece of cheese and plenty of bottled water ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Peggy
    Very well done. As well as healthy nibbles, shake some nice perfume on a hanky & sniff that. Your mind will move from your mouth to your nose. Sensory redirection. Try it. Enjoy the film

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

That’s great Peggy – enjoy the film – you’re doing really well. We’re all here to support you.

• posted by Odette C
    on

I love the idea of sensory redirection – and so much better than the horrid smell hotdogs and popcorn – yeuch!

• posted by MooLoc
    on

Peggy, I’m really encouraged by your post. I’m on day 1 and would love to have lost 2.5lb like you have, well done!!
    Food is my hobby, I love to cook, eat, plan, shop. We have dinner guests a lot too – I haven’t faced that yet! Will need to think ahead.
    Keep posting your story, it’s great to read!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

MooLoc, I just make a three course BSD style menu for guests ๐Ÿ™‚
    I save all my calories and now make sure I eat less than my guests! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by MooLoc
    on

Thanks Hashimoto – yes will try that! I’m thinking a traditional style roast dinner might be easiest to start. Looking forward to the challenge!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi MooLoc that sounds like a good idea.
    I sometimes do a variety of curries with rice for guests and chickpea flour flatbreads instead of naan ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi Peggy
    Binge eater here too. I’m starting today. Doing the 800 . I am undecided wether to weigh daily so will think about this. Almost frightened by food if that makes sense. However 50g or less of carbs is a clear marker. Good luck , one step.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good luck Collie!
    I have found weighing daily helped me to keep on track: if my weight loss was good I didn’t want to derail it by eating too much. If it weight loss was static I made sure I stuck to the guide lines to keep it on track! But that’s just me!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ though I think Dr Mosley says it’s best to weigh several times a week

• posted by Patsy
    on

How’s it going now, Peggy?

• posted by GonnaBeDazzling
    on

Hello Peggy

I too have been a binge eater most of my life, now I count myself as an ex-binge eater. Like you, food filled in all the gaps in the day, as well as being a source of distraction to avoid doing jobs I didnโ€™t fancy โ€“ and I can procrastinate for England!

Carbs were such a part of life, I never thought about them separately from food in total, but they clearly had a far more profound effect than just being another source of food. On most days now, I just donโ€™t think about food between meals, a fact I continue to be astonished about, given my decadesโ€™ long history of doing the opposite!

As Patsy and Eureka have said, carbs seem to make us hungry. Cut them out, and enjoy other foods in the right proportion, as in the BSD, and the body is satisfied.

I am just starting week 12, and plan to carry on until I have lost another 2 stone โ€“ I have lost 3 stone to date โ€“ and it feels perfectly doable. I donโ€™t long for rice, bread, biscuits etc. and there is ยพ of a bar of dark chocolate in my cupboard which hasnโ€™t been touched since I started the BSD. I donโ€™t even go and look at it!

So good luck with your journey โ€“ think how you will enjoy your clothes becoming too big, and finding you have more energy as you get lighter.

Keep posting!

• posted by Tracy2267
    on

Hi Peggy,

I’m just about to start the BSD plan and am in the process of clearing out my cupboards of all the temptations stored there. I have the BSD book and reading through it all and I am terrified as well. The biggest fear being failure(!) due to my desperation to lose weight – coming from a family riddled with diabetes. So, just thought I would pass on my wishes and hope you achieve what you are aiming for!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Tracey, welcome to the forums and the BSD way of life – because it does become a way of life!!!

Don’t be terrified, you are doing all the right things to prepare yourself and although 800 calories sounds very little once you cut out the starchy carbs you don’t feel as hungry. You can get three decent meals out of that 800 – or a very decent 2 meals as some people do!

You will have read that Michael Mosley says the first two weeks are the hardest, that was true for me because I didn’t eat dairy fat for the first two weeks. Decades of ‘eat low fat’ scared me into avoiding it but once I started eating full fat yoghurt (what a revelation) for breakfast with some berries I was fine.

This is the best thing you could do for yourself as you come from a family of diabetics. You will avoid diabetes by following this diet. When your diabetic family members see the impact on you they may well decide to try it for themselves – and who knows what that could lead to in terms of their health. So I see you as the pioneer for your family ๐Ÿ™‚

Just remember to eat full fat dairy, olive oil, nuts etc for healthy fats
    Drink 2 to 3 litres of water each day (as plain, sparkling or herbal teas for variety)
    Keep away from all starchy carbs ( potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, parsnips)

Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Tracey.

I think most of us felt some moments of panic at the thought of 800 calories a day before we began. The reality is that it’s surprising how much good food you can eat within that 800 calories when you remove the carbs.

Another thing we’ve realised is how adversely the carbs were affecting us. Not only were they addictive, but making us poorly. When we’ve eaten carbs we want to eat more and more and more. Removing the carbs, eating full fat and drinking lots of water keeps us feeling full much longer.

This is a new way of life for many of us. Welcome to the family.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Hi Peggy,

I am an emotional binge eater and have been all my life. It isn’t a good place to be (especially when I eat for every emotion, when I’m happy its cake and chocolate, when I’m sad its ice cream….you get the idea). My Dad died in 2009 from complications, due to type 2, I’m not ready to share the details plus it may scare some of you and I’m not an alarmist BUT what helped me was when I was diagnosed with type 2. I was so frightened of going through what my Dad went through it completely stopped me in my tracks. All of a sudden and it really was overnight, I just couldn’t eat anything without really weighing up the cost first. I haven’t even had an alcoholic beverage and being a weekend binge drinker that was shocking to me. I have lost a stone in weight in 2 months from fear. But what I have proven to myself and you will find this too, is that thinking you can’t live without something is a lie you tell yourself. I have mourned for my chocolate bar but to me now I’m type 2 (hopefully in 8 weeks I won’t be) the binge just isn’t worth my life. We will stick to this peggy and we will both come out the other end of it saying, I don’t know why I made such a fuss…LOL! We can do it girl!!!

• posted by jabbygirl
    on

Hi Peggy
    Day one today for me. Feeling anxious and trying to get my head around planning my meals etc. Have breakfast and lunch at work due to time that I start. That might be the most difficult thing for me. Trying to find some meals I can get ready quickly and easily to take with me. Love all types of bread so will find it hard cutting it out for 8 weeks as used to having sandwiches at lunchtime. I really need to stick with this as I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic . Have been overweight all of my adult life and also as a child. Tried so many diets in the past .Need all the help I can get!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Izzypeach, I am well aware of what can happen with T2 complications. So a big well done to you for not burying your head in the sand but doing something which will probably reverse your diabetes.

You are absolutely right when you say we tell a lie to ourselves with ‘I can’t live without….’ Of course we can!! And really and truly eating the old way is not worth your life.

Jabbygirl, there are lOTS of things you can easily have instead of sandwiches for work:

1. Frittata – it can be made the evening before and kept in the fridge. There is a recipe in the book but you can ring your own changes, add bacon instead of chickpeas or some cheese sprinkled on top before placing the pan under the grill.
    2. Dips and crudite – there are five dip recipes in the book and make a lovely packed lunch. Or ring the changes and add some chopped spring onion and a teaspoon of curry powder to a mix of cream cheese and yoghurt.
    3. Salad – a few leaves and salad veg of your choice with any of the following: tinned tuna or salmon, smoked salmon or other smoked fish, chicken, egg, ham, bean, cheese or any combination!
    4. Homemade coleslaw – prepare your carrot, onion and cabbage. Keep it in a sealed bag or container then each day mix some plain full fat yoghurt ( I add mustard too) into the amount of slaw you are having for lunch, then mix in the ingredients of your choice – walnuts, cheese, apple, celery, chicken etc.
    5. Soups – make up home made soups during your weekend and heat and place in flask to take to work – or in a container if you have access to a microwave.
    6. No carb ploughmans the recipe is in the book.
    7. Full fat yoghurt with a twist of seeds and berries to add at work.
    8. Half an avocado and a boiled egg just sprinkle some lemon juice or vinegar on the avocado to prevent it turning brown.
    9. Medi platter – the recipe is in the book
    10. Lettuce cups – there are three recipes in the book, they can easily be put into a container for work.
    11. Cottage cheese – add your own favourites from the typical BSD foods – a bit of diced smoked salmon and cucumber is tasty. There are more ideas in the book.
    12. Ham rolls – not that kind of roll! Spread some cream cheese on some ham and roll it up in a large lettuce leaf!
    13. Nuts and apple – if you are in a hurry grab a handful of nuts ( watch the calories) and an apple. Or a small piece of cheese and an apple.
    14. Courgette bhaji – just as nice cold. The recipe is on the website.
    15. Chickpea flour flat breads – the recipe is on the website, eat with your choice of food – treat it as a wrap.
    16. Red pepper rolls – Posted by Alibaba – (1 red pepper halved and filled with hummus, fresh coriander, cucumber, feta, a sprinkle of mixed seeds, black pepper & a squeeze of lemon juice)
    17. Coconut flatbreads – nice with some yoghurt and berries ( see website for recipe)

Hope this helps! ๐Ÿ™‚ This diet works and you really don’t need bread for a nice lunch.

If you make the chickpea flour flatbreads for wraps make plenty and freeze them in layers (greaseproof paper between each bread)
    As Izzypeach says that bread is not worth your life – and that is what we are talking about here. 8 weeks is nothing; you won’t believe how quickly it goes or how much better you will feel in yourself on this diet.

All the best to Peggy, Izzypeach, jabbygirl and scroll up to read what our wise captainlynne says about carbs. She is absolutely correct. Janet, Bill and I all had a nasty carb experience last week. A crumpet for Janet , small chapatti for Bill and a GF brownie for me and I am still suffering the after effects. Once you cut them out of your diet you will not believe how much better you feel. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Hashimoto,

WOW! I’m sure that isn’t even the extensive version but that is a long list of yummy lunch ideas. I found Coconut flour at ASDA but I looked for chickpea and almond flour but I couldn’t find them, do I have to get a small loan out and go to Holland & Barret? ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Izzy

Chickpea flour also known as gram flour. My local Tesco has it, but currently out of stock. Local H&B don’t stock it. Bill’s advice on here is to try local Asian shops.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Thank you that’s a great help.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Izzy, try an Asian supermarket, sometimes Sainsburys have it in. I get mine from a corner shop owned by Asians. The independent health food shop also sell it. I find H and B prices bordering on the ridiculous!

I typically spend ยฃ1.69 for a kilo bag but that will make an awful lot of flatbreads – round about 40 breads as a rough estimate. You can add your own herbs and spices to the batter. For curries I add cumin seeds, chilli powder and cardamon seeds. For wraps I add caraway and rosemary. Basically add the flavours you like!

Oh and sometimes it is called Besan flour!

So you are looking for Gram, chickpea, garbanzo or besan flour! Different names but they are the same!

That is just a list I made to give people a rough idea for packed lunches – not definitive by any means!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jabbygirl
    on

Thank you so much. All of the suggestions sound good. I am looking forward to trying new foods

on

Hello! It’s great to hear all the positivity about this way of eating, and see the warmth in the posts. It’s really encouraging.

It’s been a tricky weekend but I think I’ve done well: I managed two cinema trips (including one with the children) without any snacks at all, had lunch out with my parents yesterday (it was a carvery thankfully, so I stuck to meat and veg), and even survived my mum turning up this afternoon with slabs of rocky road!

As of this morning (day 6) I’ve lost 5.5lb. On the odd occasion I’ve felt hungry a large drink or a couple of cashew nuts has been enough to let it pass. I’m absolutely loving this! I currently have hunters chicken in the oven (the recipe from this website, it’s incredible!) and am happy.

I do have a couple of questions though, for the more experienced among you! Are fruit teas ok? I don’t really like herbal teas but I have a lovely lemon tea that I tend to drink in the mornings. Also, are ground almonds the same thing as almond flour? And I’m getting a bit bored of having eggs for breakfast but don’t like avocado or smoked salmon – any suggestions? Most options I’ve found have either one or the other!

on

Jabbygirl, Tracy, Collie – how are you doing?

Izzypeach – well done on cutting out alcohol, that’s really hard to do! I’m fortunate in a way, I haven’t had alcohol in 8 years so at least I’m not missing that.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Today was my first breakfast on my first day of this diet. It was a 100g pot of Full Fat Greek Yogurt with a handful of blueberries. It was great. They were frozen blueberries to, so I microwaved them for 10 sec and the juice that came out of them, it was very nice.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Peggy, try full fat yoghurt with berries for breakfast, it’s quick, easy and tasty ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by GonnaBeDazzling
    on

Hello Peggy

I drink fruit teas. I buy Twinings as the own brands are, for the most part, fairly awful! ‘Winter Spice’ or ‘Strawberry & Mango’ are OK, but my current favourite is ‘Cranberry and Blood Orange’ which has a brighter flavour. They all have 2 calories per bag and zero carbs.

I believe almond flour is a little finer than ground almonds and has had some of the oils removed, but for practical purposes, ground almonds is fine to use instead.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Strawberry and mango and blood orange and cranberry are my two favourites of the moment. Just stocked upagain yesterday! ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Today’s the start of week 2. I’ve lost (drumroll please) 6.25 lb and 3 inches off my stomach. I think I’m a convert! <does happy dance>

Please log in or register to post a reply.