I'm a lifelong binge-eater and today is day 1 of the BSD. I'm terrified.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi PeggyCarterRogers
    You are doing it! Well done ๐Ÿ‘Œ

• posted by Natalie
    on

Peggy I get sick of eggs very quickly ( especially when I can’t have toast with) so I tend to rotate between: full fat Greek yoghurt with berries, leftover meat from the previous night’s dinner with a cucumber and a tomato (“breakfast food” is a very recent invention), or bacon once or twice a week with some kind of vegetable. I’m not scared of the fat in bacon but processed meat isn’t very healthy and Michael says to keep it to a couple of times a week. So delicious though!

• posted by Chrisnor
    on

Hi,

I have been a binge eater for most of my life too, it is not an easy and I have been dieting on and off for years. This is the first time that I have followed an eating plan like this. The first time I read the recipes and the meal plan, I put the book down and did not pick it up again for a while. However, just over a week ago I decided to go for it and am now one week into the plan and about 6lbs lighter, so don’t give up. It was daunting at first but I am getting used to it and I do actually enjoy the meals. Knowing what I am like for craving things I have tried the crayfish salad a few times, it is vinegary and stops me craving carbs or anything sweet, so is really good when I feel my resolve might wobble. Perhaps you could look at some of the recipes and see what would work in stopping some of your triggers.
    What others have said about not feeling hungry is true, I haven’t either but I am feeling tired though.
    Best wishes

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi Peggy, as Natalie says, it’s all about a different way of thinking, I quite like leftovers for breakfast/lunch. BLT wrapped in the L part is lovely with yogurt instead of mayo. I’ve binged for years usually to make myself feel worse and as a punishment type thing. Congrats on the weight loss and inches gone ๐Ÿ˜€

jabbygirl, sainsbury’s do miso soup sachets which are quick and very portable for lunch. Or homemade would be easy in a flask ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck with it as there is more variety than it seems at first

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

My favorite breakfast is 2 tablespoons heavy cream (not half and half) in coffee (100 calories) and if I am really hungry or am going to the gym, an ounce of cheese (100 calories). It sounds crazy but it keeps my hunger at bay, gives me lots of energy and provides that good “fat full” feeling. I got the idea from the Duke University Lifestyle Diet which is low carb (20 grams carbs per day — very low).

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Well done Peggy! And just think your happy dance will lose you calories too ha ha! I’m now into my 14th week and am 2 lbs off losing 3 stone 3 STONE – cannot believe it! I was on holiday with girlfriends over the bank holiday and totally stuck to the regime although I now drink wine/bacardi and diet coke on occasion and it’s fine btw. Always have a normal cupp with semi skimmed milk too. My eyes were out on stalks seeing how much my very overweight friend ate – could not believe the quantities……..and I realised, to my amazement and horror that that was exactly what I used to eat – revelation was I have utterly changed my way of thinking about food as well as what I actually eat. Never believed it was possible but it really is.

For the first 4 weeks I followed the diet to the letter and the recipes too – some I knew I wouldn’t like so swapped them but it meant I had everything planned – massively helped me.

Finally – yesterday I went in to try on a new pair of jeans to Next – yes, a normal shop – as one of my girlfriends said my jeans were ridiculously baggy round the bum, so my husband waited outside and I came out in a pair of tight and shapely (but comfortable) jeans – ‘oh they look great, what size – 14?’ he asked ‘no, 12’ I replied and promptly cried! The feeling of walking on air and euphoria was greater than any high and I want everyone to experience it………..and it just started with a loss of 4 lbs my first week – so carry on Peggy you are on your way!!

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Tallyhoo

Absolutely relate what you have to say here. Many congratulations on your weight loss. I am on my 14th week as well and heading for a 2 stone loss of weight so I am really chuffed.
    Can’t believe what other people think is a normal amount of food to eat and drink.
    Clothes shopping is a bit of a nightmare. Great to be getting into smaller sizes but how long will they fit if I continue to lose weight.
    The best thing my husband has said to me when I showed him something I liked on a hanger was ‘that’s a bit baggy shouldn’t you be buying something a bit more fitting?’ Of course he was exactly right…old habits!!!!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Ay Caramba…………….I know what you mean about the clothes buying. My now baggy bum jeans are a size 14 which I have only washed once – don’t mean I’m dirty btw I just mean I was in them for just such a short space of time. I measure myself every month and am also amazed that suddenly, in the last month, my top half measurements have all lost 2 inches each – ie chest, waist and hips however my legs – knee and thigh haven’t – that may be due to loads of walking and muscle tone as they look much better but how I love going into a normal shop and not thinking people are looking at me and thinking ‘is she mad coming in here – clearly nothing in her size – get out!’ – my interpretation of course!

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi tallyhoo and aye caramba, why not make charity shops your new best friends until your weight has settled down, you can often get some lovely things for cheap and give to charity in the process ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi thepolly, Have already had the delightful chore of taking loads of clothes to the charity shop………….I personally would rather have the equally delightful chore of buying new clothes – not many admittedly – but this gives me so much pleasure it is part of the reward of having achieved the weight loss

• posted by thepolly
    on

๐Ÿ™‚ I only meant as a stop gap until your inner svelteness shows itself and you don’t need yet more downsizing in clothes. But taking outgrown clothes in is lovely, I bet.

on

Hi Peggy Carter Rogers! I remember your thread and I wonder how you are doing? Are things going well with you?

• posted by organicallyhealthy
    on

Hi Peggy,
    Eating a breakfast with protein and fats does wonders. I supplement with 100mcg chromoprecise organic chromium yeast to curb sugar cravings and and blood sugar crashes, which I find helpful in the afternoons to eliminate cravings.

• posted by PeggyCarterRogers
    on

Hello! It’s been 2 weeks today and I’ve lost 11.25 lb and 4 inches off my stomach! I haven’t lost anything in the last couple of days but I guess that’s ok after losing so much so quickly. I’m wearing a pair of trousers that I haven’t been able to get into since last summer, so that’s good.

I’m gradually increasing my activity – I’m now walking an average of 5000 steps a day instead of 2000 and yesterday I swam half a mile.

• posted by GonnaBeDazzling
    on

Well done Peggy! I’ve done well on the food front, but I’m still not as active as I need to be. That’s my next area to focus on. I’ve got a step counter somewhere……

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

And another well done Peggy from me! So exciting – amazing weight loss – and it can just keep going and well done with the swimming half a mile – how encouraging when you can start to wear the old clothes you love and still have lurking.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow peggy that’s fantastic. I wish I could swim half a mile! Perhaps building the muscle isn’t showing on your scales but on a more sculpted you! : )

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Peggy
    well done you!!!
    Do you remember the girl who said “Iโ€™ve tried the GI diet (which seems very similar) a number of times and always failed โ€“ Iโ€™m terrified that I will fail this time too.” ?
    Well you sure aren’t failing, you must be feeling heeps better about it.
    Keep it up, you’ll get where you want to be

• posted by Steve T
    on

Hi Peggy

What great results! You should be very proud of what you’ve achieved do far. Stick with it! We all I think struggle with this diet at times. It isn’t easy at first but seems to become easier as you go along and feeling and looking so much better is the pay-off. The downside? Having to buy new clothes in smaller sizes – but then some problems are good ones to have!

Keep up the good work!

• posted by jabbygirl
    on

Oh well done Peggy.
    I am on day 10 and I have lost 10.5 lbs (a lot of that will be fluid) Really pleased though with such a good start. I know my weight loss will slow down now but I am in a very good and strong frame of mind to continue. The help on here has been brilliant. Thanks everyone

Good luck everyone for this week

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Jabbygirl – you are right of course to be cautious saying that a lot of that is fluid and that your weight loss will slow down……the great thing is that when you see a massive change on the scales it does give you so much positivity I think and an element of excitement – so much more motivating than ooh 1/2 a lb in 2 weeks – yaay! Don’t get me wrong, any loss is great but………………..

Having said that – I weighed in yesterday at the start of week 15 for me and I lost 3 lbs last week, 3.4 the week before and 3.8 the week before that – I know that is staggering compared to any ‘normal’ diet. Yes I have had a couple of plateaus – my worst week was losing just .8lb and that happened on 3 separate occasions – not motivating when you’re doing the right thing (oh I’m forgetting Easter and putting on 6.6lbs through sheer stupidity and mini creme eggs) but then to see it kind of pick up momentum again is so rewarding now that I’m totally back on track.

So keep that strong frame of mind and 1 1b a day (plus a bit) is absolutely amazing – well done!!

on

GonnaBeDazzling – I just downloaded a pedometer app onto my phone, as it’s almost always in my pocket!

JabbyGirl – well done, that’s fantastic!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, it really does help.

• posted by GonnaBeDazzling
    on

Neat idea Peggy! Which app did you choose?

on

It’s called Pacer, and you can also connect it to the My Fitness Pal app if you have it.

on

It is good to see your name back on the thread PeggyCarterRogers! You sound like a new person — your “voice” is empowered — what an amazing example you are setting for your children. They will benefit from this their whole lives (and their children and their children). Well begun!!

on

After bingeing on sugar regularly for most of my life, I lasted almost 4 weeks without it. That’s a huge change for me. Today I slipped up, though it was a very minor binge (a 100g chocolate bar) compared to my usual form. Thankfully. Still, tomorrow’s another day and all that…

• posted by keeptrying
    on

that felt like a binge to you perhaps
    but as you say, nothing compared perhaps to your past – and certainly mine

you have done so incredibly well to go 4 weeks
    and you WILL do more weeks I have no doubt at all

I hope I can last as long as you, although I have already begun on the chocolate (small amounts so far)
    x

• posted by ClairyB
    on

Hi Peggy,
    I know exactly where you are coming from, I am also a secret eater, especially when I’m feeling unwell or having a down day or just feeling rubbish about myself I can easily scoff my own body weight in rubbish and then wonder why I get upset when I get on the scales!! Let’s hope we can get motivated by all these lovely bloggers who are proof it can be done. X

• posted by ClairyB
    on

Oops, not got the hang of this yet, just replied to Peggy’s first post!!!! Nice to know we are not alone, my sweet tooth is my biggest worry and I haven’t even started yet, wish me luck for day 1!! How are you finding it Peggy???

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi ClairyB, Don’t be nervous about day 1 – just look at it as being the first day of the rest of your life (er corny or what) but in truth that’s how I look back on day 1 – little did I know what was achieveable, as when I started I didn’t have this forum – came upon it after several weeks and so had no idea what other people were doing. 16 weeks in and 3 stone lost – more to lose but this way of living is totally sustainable although it seems like an impossibility when you’re just starting out. 800 calories a day – starvation diet – not a bit of it!

Good luck tomorrow!!

PS Try the stuffed aubergine recipe in week 1 – still my favourite

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Peggy
    4 weeks on plan and only 1 slip up is fantastic, do you realise what an inspiration you are to the newbies?
    How much weight and how many inches have you lost now?
    I’m on week 4 day 5 today and am down 8.2kg (18lb)! Never did I think this was possible before starting ๐Ÿ˜€
    Please let us know how you’re going!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by barby
    on

I too was a secret binge eater I’d get 6 packs of Marmite crisps and scoff the lot on way back from shops, likewise with certain chocolate and biscuits, never anything healthy, and hide the packets. So ashamed even to admit it. It is like a disease, which I couldn’t resist.

For the first time ever – This way of eating seems to have almost ruled out those impulses so far. I did have a couple of incidents, where I pigged a little, but NOTHING compared to old days. And the next day I got back on it. It would be such a relief to be cured of that desire to binge.

Just keep going with BSD, really eat lots of fat and have enough water (absolutely key thing) , and chat here. Good luck to you all xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.