How Are My Fellow New Starters Doing?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I’m just coming to the end of my first week, changed everything about the way I eat and I’m seeing the benefits already. I have a lot to lose but I’m very motivated, I need to change. I’m not diabetic or prediabetic but with my weight and family history it’s only a matter of time.

How is everyone else doing?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello JCH187! I will have finished my first week end of Sunday. Mum has lost 7lb 1oz already and I have lost 5 and a half pounds. We’re both motivated although I am finding it more difficult than mum. We’re not diabetic either but we both need to lose some weight and have past problems with carb and sugar cravings.

• posted by Sandie
    on

I am much in the same boat as you. Not diabetic but overweight with family history. I am now able to eat free of the ‘big’ carbs. I plan to eat at 800 for eight weeks from the 1st June and feel a bit scared of the weighting food and calorie counting bit. At the moment I am losing weight at a pound a day. I don’t miss the bread, cakes, rice, pasta, sweets, sugar nor the alcohol.

• posted by Sandie
    on

Great beginnings

• posted by glevesque
    on

First four days and feel great. Had one small ciabatta roll last night and one the night before, but still have lost 1.5 kg. Can I really lose more? Haven’t been able to get below 71 kg. in close to 20 years. Will check in every few days as I need to tell someone about what I am doing!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi glevesque. You’ve made a great start in losing 1.5kg in a few days. Like you, I assumed I wouldn’t go below, in my case, 12 stone. But that’s because I assumed I would have given up by then! I’ve been on the diet for 4 weeks now and literally have had no bread, rice, pasta etc. Occasionally more than 800 cals. And I’ve lost 16lbs and am 11 stone 13lbs! The main thing is I feel so much better, no cravings, clear headed, full of energy. I’m not trying to show off (well, only a bit) but what I am saying is that eating 800 cals a day means eventually you will lose weight. I’m better at abstinence or full on, rather than moderation, so for me no bread etc. is better than a bit.
    Keep it up and amaze yourself! You can do it.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI Everyone,
    I have had a mixed start.I had a party on the first weekend and gained 2kg.One week later and I am back on track, lost the 2kg and feeling better. I’m pre diebetic and my fasting BSL is still above 6. I’m feeling very hungry in the afternoons when my BGL is 4.9and Im feeling tired. currently managing this with afew almonds and a cup of milky coffee .Monitoring my BSL is helping me stay on track as I’m setting daily goals, exercise is not happening yet but doing around 7000 steps a day at work.Im not having any carbs but my portions are probably too large in the evenings. following this forum definitely helps ,cheers to all

• posted by Izzy
    on

stick at it you guys, the time soon passes and you will be several weeks in and several lb’s lighter πŸ™‚

• posted by JCH187
    on

You’re all doing really well, please come and check back in, I for one, need support from people going through the same experience as me! As of Thursday I had lost 6lbs, Saturday is my one week and I’m hoping maybe to hit half a stone.

I hasn’t been easy but for the first time in my life I’ve cooked from scratch every night for a week!

• posted by Trinity1814
    on

Hi JCH187, i’ve just started my second week and so far i’ve lost 4lbs may be a bit more; my scales are a bit temperamental. I’m finding it reasonably easy to stick to but cravings from my former lifestyle creep back from time to time but i manage that by using the Mindfulness attitude.

I’m not diabetic but when i had my last blood sugar test (admittedly 2 years ago) i was in the pre-diabetic range, however the reading was lower than the previous test. I certainly sit in the at risk category and my Maternal Grandmother was a diabetic.

My focus is to make sure that i do not develop this hideous illness so i can be as fit and active as i can be for the sake of my family and not just my health. Keep pressing on with the healthy lifestyle and you will see changes in your life beyond what you thought possible.

i’m new to this forum but I feel more inspired for reading the posts.

My best wishes to you and to all who have made this conscious decision to change their lifestyle habits.

Trinity1814

• posted by deetia52
    on

Hi just on day 2, was feeling good but now I feel bloated. If I count my calories is it ok to have wholegrain rice, think that’s why I feel bloated maybe. I am waiting for my book from Amazon cos they sold out and I just have it on my kindle – finding it difficult to flick backwards and forwards. I think i’ll be better when the book comes on Wednesday. I read somewhere it’s ok to have bulgar wheat, what about cous cous?
    I’ve made an appointment to see my GP next week. Hope she will be supportive.
    I’m loving reading the posts, they make me feel I’m not struggling on my own
    Dee x

• posted by smith
    on

Hi Deetia52,
    i am on day 2 as well – i am feeling quite lightheaded today.
    I got the fast diet recipe book by mimi spencer as well as the main bsd book – that has some of her recipes in – has been a godsend actually – there are more meals & calorie options to choose from.
    I too would be interested i an answer to your bulgar wheat & cows cpus query.
    Reading other posts really does help – i am just trying to find as many recipes as possible at the moment.
    One question i have is can you spread your calories out through the day – rather than just three meals a day?
    Good luck Dee

• posted by Trinity1814
    on

Hi Smith, i’ve just asked the same question because i have been taking healthy snacks recording them as part of my 800 cals per day. I have received one response so far which suggested that snacking is not a good idea and i have to change the way i think about food.

I do understand the importance of detaching yourself from food when counting the calories over the next 8 weeks; because if you snack, food is always on your mind so i do see the value of being disciplined about when you eat.

It’s a difficult one to answer but i guess it’s one to monitor when you weigh yourself regularly.

Trinity1814

• posted by smith
    on

Hi butterlover,
    You sound very similar to me – I am pre diabetic also, I am going to start doing my bel but have never done them before so any advice on when to do them would be great.
    Have emailed my GP to ask for his support – he is usually pretty forward thinking so I think I should be ok.
    I know I am only on the second day but I have to say I do feel lighter !!
    Will enjoy being on this journey with you all.
    Sal

• posted by smith
    on

Hi Trinity,
    Thanks for that – i kind of assumed that so long as you didn’t go over the 800 it would be ok – well i will bow to the experts & see how i go hopefully the body will adjust soon to the new way of doing things.
    If you get any more useful advice i would appreciate it if you would let me know.
    Thanks
    Sal

• posted by Steve.R
    on

Hi all half way through my second week going great lost 6kg i am type2 my sugars were around 12 now a steady 3.8 to 4.3. I now have a fitbit charger hr and got fitbit aria scales totally recomend both great way to track everything the scales track bmi and body fat % all recorded to an app on your phone,hang in there everyone this works.

Cheers
    Steve

• posted by JCH187
    on

So weigh day today, 7lbs lost and 4 inches off my waist – I’m more stunned by my waist to be honest!! Tried the smoked salmon breakfast muffins yesterday which were lovely and I’m generally getting better trying some of the recipes. I think tonight I’m going to make a tuna stuffed pepper concoction.

I feel much better today, no headaches, no hunger, no cravings now which is a relief after feeling a bit rubbish earlier in the week. My legs still ache (not sure why?) and I’m not sleeping very well (again not sure why.?!!). But very pleased with how it’s going.

• posted by Trinity1814
    on

Well done JCH187 that’s great news! 4 inches off your waist is a great achievement and i bet a real encouragement to you.

Keep up the good work and i like the idea of the tuna stuffed pepper.

Trinity1814

• posted by glevesque
    on

Had a very busy week and ate some Turkish bread yesterday. Didn’t lose any weight at all for the past couple of days even though I am certain that I have kept below 800 calories and have had a lot of exercise. Feeling very low and exhausted today. Have decided to write down everything I eat to keep careful track of it all. Going to stop guestimating and start looking up number of calories taken in. Not a happy post, but I need to be honest.

• posted by glevesque
    on

OK…just went on a calorie counter site on-line and it says one hard boiled egg has 80 calories and one soft boiled egg has 220 calories. How is that possible? Why the enormous difference? Help!

• posted by glevesque
    on

OK…just went on a calorie counter site on-line and it says one hard boiled egg has 80 calories and one soft boiled egg has 220 calories. How is that possible? Why the enormous difference? Help! Oops, just rechecked…It says one soft boiled egg has 290 calories!

• posted by susieb
    on

Hi, the 80 calories is correct. For the other one, could you be reading the KJoules count instead of Kcalories?

• posted by Bissell
    on

Dear glevesque. Oh dear that is confusing! Most eggs are about 70 calories, boiled, soft , poached, raw, however you have them, so long as you don’t add fat. Sometimes they are quoted per 100g, when the raw egg is about 155 calories. I think you are spot one, guestimations always tend to be on the generous side when I do them and those extras soon add up. Would it help to follow the weekly diet plan from the book? I know some of the counts are a bit out, but I followed it for the first 10 days or so and it took the guesswork out. Hope you have a good day. You can do this!

• posted by glevesque
    on

Thanks Susieb and Bissell for the suggestions and encouragement. Started weighing and measuring my food intake today. I guess I should go and see the suggestions for Week One. One problem I have is the suggestions to eat yoghurt. I’m lactose intolerant, and although I have found lactose free yoghurt, I hate yoghurt!

Feeling better about my intake today.

• posted by JCH187
    on

Kitchen scales and a calorie counter app are a must in my view, as Bissell has said so easy to guesstimate. Were you thinking not liking yogurt limits your breakfast options? If so the recipe sections has some egg recipes, plus in the Fast 800 section there’s a thread called what have you eaten today, I looked there for some ideas. I’m having brunch today and will make up some coconut floor pancakes.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Sal,
    I am able to use my husband’s equipment as he is a diabetic and has a glucometer and finger prick device.Im in australia so diabetic equipment is government funded.I weigh myself every morning and do a BGL before I have coffee. Yesterday I was shocked with a 7.1 reading so I skipped breakfast and waited till 1230 to eat lunch. Enjoyed an egg and avacado with smoked salmon at a local cafe ordered it with no toast.Then I usually do another reading in the late afternoon around 5pm depending what it is I will decide whats for dinner.If I feel very hungry or weak and tired I will check it, but Ive discovered that these feelings are usually just my body adjusting and extra water will help till its really time to eat.I lost another 1/2 kilo yesterday. feeling ok.Also I keep the book in site at all times to remind me to stay strong,cheers To all

• posted by Matrika
    on

Hi Butterlover, That is interesting. I am Australian and diabetic (type 2) and have never had a BGL meter paid for by the government. I do get subsidised testing strips but that is all. How did your hubby manage a meter? πŸ™‚ I may be eligable and my chemist didn’t now about it.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI Matrika, I checked with hubby , the glucometer was given to him by the hospital,his diabetes is caused by his medication for other conditions.So It could be they provide routinely or it could be because he is on the pension and has a healthcare card.He pays something for the lancets and strips but its subsidized,you could try your GP or diabetes Australia for advice.Hows your BSD going ?

• posted by sandals
    on

Hi all
    Just starting week 2. Almost had a heart attack reading the posts above about eggs while happily chomping my way through two hard boiled eggs for breakfast! Glad to hear it is less than 100 cals per egg.

Weigh day today and lost 6.5lbs extremely pleased with overall position. A bit disappointed that my weight didnt move at all over the weekend, although that might have something to do with the large amount of gin I consumed on Friday night. Other than my gin binge I have stuck to the diet, not exactly 800 calories, but a recommended breakfast, lunch and dinner from the book. I was out for lunch on Thursday but managed to be good and had salmon and vegetables. Was pleasantly surprised that there was a few choices (was in an italian – all that pizza and pasta!!!) provided you asked for no potatoes, only veg, which they happily did for me.

• posted by glevesque
    on

6.5 pounds in one week! Wow! I’m impressed. Have been taking in less than 800 calories per day and been doing this for six days and have lost only 1.4 kilogram so far. I’m expecting the weight to suddenly just fall off. Must admit that I’ve only been able to have no carbs at all for the past two days. Maybe that has been the problem? Anyway, not giving up yet.

• posted by sandals
    on

hi Glevesque

1.4kg is pretty good I think, if you lost that every week for 8 weeks you will have lost over a stone (I still work in old money). I dont imagine for a minute that I can sustain a 6 lb loss each week – just keeping it off this week will be the challenge enough.

I had no carbs at all – except for those allowed such as lentils, chickpeas, etc. I did recipes I though would be filling – Chicken and green lentils, steak ,stir fry, and if they didn’t look like there was enough to stop me being hungry I just increased the amount of veggies – eaten more courgette last week then I have in the rest of my life.

• posted by glevesque
    on

I’ve never counted calories before in my life, and I’m amazed at how few calories there are in veggies. Tonight I ate courgettes, mushrooms, tomato, butternut squash and carrots…Sooo much, and so few calories!

I can understand that it would be difficult or impossible to lose 6 lbs. a week, but a great start like that has to be encouraging. Keep it up!

• posted by JCH187
    on

It does make you think about what you put in your mouth, last night I had some calories left and had strawberries and cream which came in at under 100 calories, very satisfying and tasty 😊

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Has anyone wondered about increasing their calories to 1000 if they plateau? I have had a great first week but not looking forward to these weight loss plateaus that everyone talks about. Would it kick the body into fat burning mode (still eating low carbs of course) and then reducing back to 800 kcal after a day or two.

• posted by JCH187
    on

Interesting point, a few years ago I lost a considerable amount of weight calorie counting and doing low fat, I always found that if I was plateauing a meal out where I would eat more than usual would kick start my metabolism and the weight would come off again. I haven’t lost anything in my second week but am off to a friends for lunch today and I wonder what the scales will say tomorrow?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Let me know how you get on, my mum doesn’t want to plateau as she needs to keep motivated and is thinking of doing alternate 800/1000 days. On the other hand we don’t want to spoil it. So hopefully you’ll lose another pound or two πŸ™‚

• posted by Matrika
    on

Thanks for the info butterlover, My blood sugar is perfect…non diabetic levels for a few years cause I have been really disciplined and diet controlled for a long time now….just I am still overweight and find it incredibly hard to lose weight, because i am massively insulin resistant.

• posted by JCH187
    on

Hi Baristagirl

My friend made a warm chicken salad! I ended up at about 950 calories yesterday and lost 3lbs this morning, I’m not sure an extra 150 calories would make that much difference?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello JCH187, I don’t think it would make that much difference but you never know, it may have helped. Good on the 3lbs! I weigh tomorrow and hope to have lost some more.
    Sounds like your friend knows the kind of food you are eating now πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Matrika
    following on from recent conversations re your insulin resistance, have you tried messaging the team about it?
    They’re normally very good at replying.

• posted by Thischarmingwoman
    on

Hi, I’m on day 3 πŸ˜€ and whilst I don’t feel hungry at all I do have a brutal headache and feel pretty sick. I’ve no plan to give up or anything like that. I purposely started this week whilst I’m off work because I thought this may happen (I’m one of those hypersensitive A topical people) any advice would be gratefully received!!
    Thanks for all the positive updates…really helps to keep me focussed

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Thischarmingwoman, yes don’t give up. Keep yourself afloat with water. I had a bad headache every day last week (started Monday 23rd May) and felt so nauseous. Fortunately the headaches have now subsided but I still feel sick sometimes, not so much. It’s carb withdrawal symptoms (or ketosis flu) and your body is adjusting as well as getting healthier!
    I still feel a bit empty now and then but definitely find this diet good and plan to stick to it. Lost 9lb – a 1lb a day keeps the doctor away πŸ™‚

on

Thanks for the reply Baristagirls, gosh it’s tough isn’t it? But it helps to know that it will pass. 9lb is a great loss, well done. Hoping to get there soon

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

You’ll definitely get there, it is tough (maybe not for everyone) but it gets easier when you start feeling thinner much easier than other feasible diets!

on

‘Start feeling thinner,’ I like the sound of that! 😊

• posted by JCH187
    on

Definitely up your fluids, I found it really helped. I found the first quite rough but I’m on day 10 now and 10lbs lighter so keep at it!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Baristagirls – mum

HELP help, I’m not hungry, I just want to eat. VERY DANGEROUS TIME I have lost 13lbs since last Monday and would like to keep it up. but I feel as if I am about to blow it all. My 9yr son, just opened at packet of Deli cheddar crisps that he had been given………..I had 2 small ones and managed to stop as he said ‘mum don’t eat that, you’re on a diet. I sent him upstairs to enjoy the rest!! But I WANT to EAT! Please help me as I don’t want to fall off the band wagon. This seems to happen with me when I go on diets, I do really well to start with and then just can’t seem to keep it up. Really want to stick with this one to kick my awful carb addiction. Although I have this addiction and am very very over weight, I had fasting bloods done by the doctor and am not even near prediabetic, much to her astonishment. At least writing this is stopping me going to the cupboards for food. Ideas please

• posted by JCH187
    on

You have a choice… Diabetes or no diabetes. You’ve made the first step, done amazingly well, don’t go back to your bad habits x

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Barristagirls – mum,

You know you aren’t hungry, that this is the carb addiction kicking in…
    Can you get outside for a walk? Take a long bath/shower? Give yourself a manicure or face pack? Telephone a friend for a good chat? Crazy dance to some of your favourite music? …. this will pass!

Imogen🌻

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Drink something – not alcohol – cup of tea, herbal or ordinary, fizzy water, plain water.

As Imogen says, treat yourself another way – warm bath with candles, little walk round the block to blow cobwebs away. Early night with a book and the radio.

It’s your carb addiction trying to control you – you can kick it into touch.

That’s an idea – beat a cushion to death!

Good luck!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.