Hello :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Yowzer Thanku

Feeling a tad deflated as diabetic dietician rang me today
    I told her am doing this diet and why
    She was like well that is way too low and concerned that about my diabetes etc and to up the calories to 1200

It feels uphill at times!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Carry on trucking 1960smp. πŸ™‚

We are with you, as are the really successful BSDers who have completed and triumphed.

We will make the difference in the end, one Type 2 ‘in remission’ at a time.

Think how great it will be when you can go back and she will have to concede that Dr MM and you (and all of us) were right πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by 1960smp
    on

True Igor but sadly it knocked me off slightly and I hit a carb comfort instead of remaining resilient BUT am not staying there ( thank goodness learning something )
    So, yes agree with you and it’s my body and my health we are talking about
    Guess the fact am on insulin due to the meds am taking for my condition gave her cause for concern and she said what she said due to not knowing any different….

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

1960 i’ m sorry you were knocked off track temporarily by the diabetic dietician xx i’ m sure she meant well,but when are they gonna catch up…i guess its gonna take time
    Maybe everyone on this site shd get in touch with MM and ask him to look at whats happening on these forums and publish our results/ make another tv programme. There seems to be a revolution going on and the medics havent caught onto it yet. The ordinary people are listening to MM but not the medical profession.

as for yr little relapse,it happens now and then, i can understand how she rained on yr parade a bit which is upsetting,and what do we automatically do when we feel discombobulated..we reach for our comfort of choice,whether that be wine,spirits,cigarettes,drugs or food!
    For us on here,its usually food and / or booze! It never happens to be a few berries tho does it or some cucumber slices! Its always the sugary choccy starchy things we’ve been conditioned thru life to see as appealing by the insidious advertising industry and the big junkfood companies ..they have so much to answer for!
    Like you said tho..youve learnt a lesson so now its onwards and downwards! X 😘😘😘😘

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi YowserπŸ™‹πŸŒ»πŸŽΆ

Yes still here, just been laid low by a virus, so not been posting, or doing much of anything really… How are you?

So today was first weigh in for a few days and I finally hit my mini goal by reaching 95kg…that last kg took a few weeks!!! Although I still need to drop another 20+kg have decided to take today to fully appreciate dropping into the 14 stone bracket at last… will reset next goal tomorrowπŸ˜‡

How’s the rest of the gang? Has gone quiet recently, though perhaps that is natural as we move into ‘veteran’ territory…??

Thanks for the reminder to post though – love to read everyone’s stories and want to keep in touch with all the fantastic BSD buddies – hi folks πŸ™Œ

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Stay strong 1960, it was a diabetic dietician that set me on a course of gaining 5kg and changing my excellent HBA1c (5.8) to a whopping 11.2. She told me to eat carbs with every meal plus 2 snacks, said it would stabilize my b/g when I only went to ask her what I should eat it when I got shaky after exercise. Her theory is that if I ate until I burst I would never get shaky. Agggggggggh.

Anyway, I took things into my own hands and cuts out most of the carbs and got my HBA1c down to 8.2 and there it stuck for 6 months (2 tests) and then I found this plan. Now my HBA1c is 6.7 after just 6 weeks when I had my test (now been on it for 12 weeks) and know who I would take advice from.

Do what you feel is right for you and keep on keeping on.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done IMOGEN on reaching mini goal ! Isnt it just marvellous when we go down into another stone bracket! I Love it!
    Sorry About yr fish pie SUNSHINE and thanks for reporting on it..the skinny cottage pie sounds good..
    Feeling i will soon need something more satisfying and warming than all the salad ive eaten since mid july
    GAVIn iwas thinking how after xmas I might do BSD 5:2…hows it going for you? I know youre losing..
    are you enjoying it? Do you find you can restrain yrself on the non fast days? X
    My 24 weeks actually finishes Dec 27 which means no crimbo eve/day / boxing day treats for Yowzer..but if our CAPTAINLYNNE managed it last Xmas,surely i can too, having such a good role model! X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yowzer – as I was crazy enough to start the BSD one week before last Christmas, you could say I was ‘striking while the iron was hot’! I didn’t just clear all non-BSD foods out of my house, I also decided to stay at home over the Christmas/New Year period somI could control what I was eating. That might seem strange, but it’s what I needed to do at that stage. You’re further into your BSD journey so know what you’re doing and have time to plan so you don’t sabotage your efforts. If you check my earlier posts you’ll see what I did over that season. or ask questions if you wish. Always happy to help πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Frog
    on

hi 1960
    It’s frustrating, but Diabetes nurses and dietitians haven’t caught up with BSD or the Newcastle research yet – the official line is low fat everything, brown bread & medication. Have a look at my Dodgy Diabetic Cooker Course thread if you want a good laugh!
    I’ve done 3 weeks of a 12 week course, but it isn’t BSD friendly, and the dietitian cook/course leader understands what my diet is, is a bit in awe that it’s working, happy for me to adapt recipes, but essentially it isn’t what she is being paid to teach.
    & she genuinely doesn’t believe anyone can survive on less than 130g of carb a day!!

Last time I saw the diabetes nurse, she was happy because I was her second patient that day whose blood results had improved.
    And very proud of the fact that her other patient was following a “proper” diet, rather than a silly one like mine, and was taking all her medication.
    When I followed that up by asking what the other patients results were – still in the diabetic range (unlike mine πŸ™‚ )
    At least my GP was very enthusiastic when I spoke with her a week or so later.

the diabetes UK funded Newcastle Research project runs until 2018 – personally I don’t think that there will be any changes to mainstream diabetes advice until after that is published.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thanks Frog, am up weighed and feel ready to go on and up as Yowzer says!
    Surprisingly, I have dropped 0.6kg since yesterday weigh in so that also inspired me , considering I indulged in too much of naughties…( def not niceys for bsd ) but I suspect the diabetes is the reason for the loss as its happened before to me.

Lots happening over the weekend for me, including a home made bake sale of cakes – however, because am gluten free too, I manage to not indulge, so yer a double whammy for me when it comes to food…grrr

That cookery course sounds interesting…wonder if my dietician will suggest similar lol…well am going on Weds next week but will be armed with my “sticking to the BSD” and will be back to show you why!!

• posted by josie53
    on

Have finally reached my 2 stone off mark, lost 4lbs this week. Tokyo and Lucky hope all is well with both of you

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thats great JOSIE! And 4 lb.down in one week is a lovely satisfying chunk isnt it! X
    Good to hear that youre moving downwards 1960! x
    LYNNE will check out yr earlier posts..x
    Happy weekend all !x

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thanking you all
    Great job Josie!

Am really motivated to keep on keeping on….proof being, ( for myself) managed a small food shop trip and did not get tempted by the lush smell of fresh bakes and reduced chocs. Lol
    Feel quite virtuous lol

Planning my weekend menu as we talk….

• posted by Avila
    on

Hello all – feeling virtuous today

Did my first ParkRun ( http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ ) this morning, I not only survived the 5k but got a time of 37 1/2 mins. Not too shabby, (even if halfway was lapped by a chap running pushing a child in a buggy!), I admit to walking part of the route but ran more than I expected, I am tall enough to have a long stride which helps, but so does being a whole 2 stone lighter than when I started the BSD on Aug 1st.

I started at just under 16st /100 kg now 89kg – 10% body loss; I am 5ft 10

That journey includes days and weeks way off plan, probably 3 straight weeks of not counting though avoiding carbs. So my 8 weeks were effective though far from perfect. So yes this is worth doing, I am also off my BP meds πŸ™‚

Another run is needed to get down to healthy BMI but Drs happy so far….. and so am I. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Ok Yowzer πŸ‘

Fantastic Avila πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

That’s brilliant Avila, on both the running and weight loss front! I think you’ve done yourself a disservice over the 8 weeks as I’ve only heard you speak of your ‘blips’. 2 stone is a phenomenal achievement though so you must’ve done sthg right!!! Keep going πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

AVILA! I agree with JANEY! .. 2 stone in 8 weeks and doing a 5k parkrun is excellent..things are very different from how they were on 31st July! X
    Well done 1960 on being motivated and resisting temptations!
    Its rainy here so ive stayed in today,and avoided eating by doing housework…i was quite tempted to have eaten up my days worth of cals n carbs by two o clock just thru boredom! 😊😊😊 happy now coz everywhere is shipshape!

• posted by Avila
    on

I am sure I am not the only one to focus on the downs instead of the ups? I wonder how much more if I had not wobbled – a common symptom I think.

On Wed I was part of a church gathering and preaching the BSD (several keen to know more) and today having the bacon butty without the butty got into more conversations to plug BSD .

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Good for you AVILA spreading the word! Its good that some folk are keen to know more. I think a lot of peeps are just a bit scared of it..i know i was,BSD sounded too harsh,even to a seasoned faster like myself! And yet the reality is delightful in many ways! X
    Mmm bacon butty…πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹ well done on swerving the bread! X

on

I’ve just returned from a week in Spain today, embracing the Med diet although with some additional bread and alcohol! Will be glad to cut carbs down again though as the stomach doesn’t like it!!!

BUT my holiday snaps are far more favourable this year than last.. and when you’re a naturist that makes a difference!! πŸ˜Žβ˜€οΈπŸ˜‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JANEYI admire you going au naturelle on yr hols! Good for you! Hope you had a fab time and welcome back,its nice to have you here again..
    it does seem like our tums really dont like those carbs nearly as much as at times our heads seem to want them.
    I can go ages then suddenly i will want something bready,toasty,biccie- ish or cakey,usually when i get a nice smell going past a bakery or something ..all that stops me from succumbing is thinking that these days i might just get a bad belly ache! 😝😝 x

• posted by Imogen
    on

Welcome back Janey πŸ™‹
    Not sure I would be brave enough to bare all these days…might blot out the Sun…πŸ˜‰πŸ˜„πŸ˜…
    Reminds me of a holiday in France (way back in my early twenties), when a friend from my college days invited me to join her, her husband, and their children on a weeks seaside camping holiday. I travelled across from the UK by train to meet them at the camp. Wasn’t till I arrived that they ‘shared’ the information that the campsite and beach were designated as a naturist site😱😱😱 First day kept my clothes well and truly on!!! Soon felt ridiculous and shed my inhibitions pretty quickly (for an uptight Brit!!) – really enjoyed the freedom. Still drew the line at supermarket shopping naked though😲

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Gahhhh! ..got weighed for first time since 21 September – 12 days ago – and have only lost half a pound…
    I have felt slimmer and have got into more clothes tho. But still a nasty surprise after almost 2 weeks and on day 82 to only be 1/2 lb down! X

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Yowzer – frustrating, but keep the long term in mind πŸ™‚ – and how much you’ve lost overall

Had a lovely brunch this morning – I’d booked an early afternoon train home, so we went to a branch of Cote near the station. Had a full English breakfast, and they happily swapped my toast for avocado.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Welcome to my world Yowser😲 sooo…frustrating!! Still, a loss is a loss 😊!

My own weight loss graph looks like a series of very very shallow, very wide steps these days, however the overall trend is still downwards (be it ever so slowly) so can empathise.

I find it helps to remind myself that it has taken a long time to put this weight on, so I guess it may take a while to shift…least in my more reasonable moments😱

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks FROG for yr wise words.xx
    Oh i love Cote! And i love having brunchy english brekkies….really good idea having some avo instead of toast!delish.
    Been to a lovely food fair today..so much fab grub,but was quite happy to just look and then buy some falafels,lebanese fritters,Spanish omelettes and peanut butter truffles ( from a Canadian company selling all manner of gorgeous goods)- all for DD and SIL to enjoy..(DD is doing 20:4 ..has done it for ages and pretty much eats whatever she fancies in her four hr window.)
    Coming home,the smell of the fresh crusty bread my Beau had bought was driving me wild! Waaaarghhhhh! X

on

Hi Yowser, keep your eye on the goal.. which is to look and feel healthier longterm! If your body shape is still getting slimmer then you are going the right way. And remember that muscle weighs more than fat so your increased exercise plays a part too. Ignore the scales and enjoy your new self!

• posted by Frog
    on

Not sure I;d trust myself to go to a food fair and not sample lots of stuff I shouldn’t – well done on that one Yowzer!
    Cote have this great deal where you can have any hot breakfast with a hot drink and a juice (should have tried to trade that for something too!) for just under Β£10 – and that runs until 1pm at the weekend.
    I was reading the Saturday Guardian food supplement this morning – lots of Ottolenghi recipes, & most of the ones I looked at seemed BSD friendly. One that I am going to look up and try this evening was essentially fried courgettes with anchovies.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks IMOGEN and JANEY for yr support!
    IMO,we have to be strong and patient don’t we and keep the faith!X
    I was thinking of you JANEYwhen i got weighed – coz i know you dont weigh which is a good idea as it can stop feelings of despondency as the scales are not always our friends!…plus if we look ok and are healthier,the numbers on a scale don’t matter really X
    FROG..i seem to be able to be happy to eat with my eyes now..nine times out of ten anyway..so i was ok with just looking at the samples today
    Deffo going for a Cote brekky soon! Youve given me an idea now,havent paid Cote a visit for a few months! X
    Ps Where are our boys TIMMY and GAVIN lately? ( Timmy I know youve been ultra busy lately! Howz it going as you head towards yr 40 th? Wd love to be forty again! )

• posted by Frog
    on

the Ottolhengi recipe was tons faffier than I remembered – I used the same ingredients & made a really nice stir fry that took 5 minutes. Have posted the recipe, but no photo, I’ve eaten it!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Morning everyone!!

Hope Lucky and Gavin are ok – missing their chats

I Was doing better, then hit the weekend….

Re booting myself today as seeing Dietician on Weds and need her to not only understand this way of eating is best for me but to show her I CAN actually sustain doing it , otherwise I may as well sack it…if she or any other medical professionals see me jumping in and out I know they will lol

weight increase of 1.7kg NOT GOOD
    Decided to give the actual meal plan at back of his book a try and see if that will spur me on….was struggling to plan ( believe it or not ) and will tweak where neccessary

Frog, had to laugh at myself as didn’t know what food a Ottolenghi was, and saw its a cook!!

Sorry you had a gain Yowzer but press on forward and downwards, it and more will come off!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

MOrning! FROG i left message re Otto Lenghi yesterday, but it just vanished..was just saying,i dont know much about chefs and recipes,but by coincidence,my DD was talking yesterday about OL and saying how he always uses a ton of ingredients…
    good thinking making a five min stir fry,they are always so simple and so delicious.(perhaps i posted elsewhere by mistake!)
    1960 yeh i agree,he sounds like a type of pasta to me! πŸ˜„
    weekends can be very tricky..saturdays and sundays just seem like they should always be treat days..i was in the park yesterday pm thinking how i wd love an oldfashioned high tea with sandwiches and cakes and jelly and cream! But i want to be slimmer and healthier even more! I didnt gain,but i only lost half a pound in the last two weeks,which is a bit measly seeing as havent veeered from 800 cals/ 50 carbs,but these things happen. The body does its own thing! Good luck with reboot,show the medical folk youre doing the right thing! X

• posted by 1960smp
    on

OOps yowzer, me reading too fast…ok so not lost as much as thought, but doesn’t that happen and then next weigh in it comes off with more and you are in shock? lol

Lunch just now was lush – carrot batons, cucumber strips, red pepper strips with a fillet of smoked mackerel whipped up with 3 tbsp. of cream cheese…flippin eck! loved it and all for 325 cals as brekky was low anyhow….

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

1960smp that is one of my fav lunches but I have it with tuna because I don’t like mackerel or sardines and save quite a few calories. Another fav is the roasted breast of chicken with roasted red pepper and asparagus. Never much like asparagus but when it is roasted it takes on a nutty flavour. Yum yum, we are so lucky.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Yes we are lucky
    I didn’t think abt saving calories but as it happens the mackerel was meaty and the dip creamy so yes will do again

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Just cleaning my office, so watched Dr Andreas – can I have him please!. Also if you watch a TED talk on U-tube with Dr Sarah Hallberg you will all be re-inforced. Fantastic lady. American too.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I had a nice realisation today! Tho at times i will hanker after a cake or even just a humble slice of bread when i spy them..i actually dont want it in reality..i seem to be really craving all the good nourishing things..i am becoming sickeningly smug and angelic heehee! πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„ x think its just coz leaving out the junk means we start to properly get in touch with what our bodies really need? x

• posted by shalimar
    on

I’ll help you polish your halo Yowzer 49 …. Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I kind of want some stuff too …. but i don’t crave it like i used to!! I don’t have any halo to shine vis a vis the 800 calorie a day plan …. but i pretty much have stopped eating junk!!

Haven’t even had alcohol lately πŸ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks SHALIMAR!:) no I havent had any alcohol either ..sob! Wd really like a glass of red wine.πŸ˜‹

Its a strange thing isnt it..my kneejerk reaction is, i want it!
    ( For example,saw a man walking into the bakery yesterday and some inner part of me separated off and followed him and the lovely smell in there..)…..πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„
    Then i think,actually no i don’t want it!
    I almost feel brainwashed..its as if those previously enjoyed foods n drinks really are out of bounds to me!
    Mind you some things baffle me! I was hoping to eat a pear today – a rare treat coz theyre carby..and this one was quite big i guess..7 oz..which came to – 30 carbs!!! Man alive!
    So i wont be eating it..in the ” old days” i’d have eaten a pear without giving it a second thought except,this is good for me! ….ditto apples and bananas, oranges and grapes 😳😳😳😳 X

• posted by shalimar
    on

Well …. i wanted a pear as well …. but they’re expensive and then sometimes you get a pithy one …. i just thought … nah!!! I spend money a lot without really thinking about it … and then i get cheap, cheap, cheap about something that isn’t even that expensive!! Don’t know what’s up with that!! Maybe i didn’t want to spend the carbs either?

I have a box of white wine in the fridge …. it’s a dry one …. but with boxes you have to finish it in 6 weeks …. i don’t want to spend the carbs!!

I did expand my variety of foods though …. bought various nuts, treated myself to some cashews, bought some Korean roasted seaweed snacks … they melt in your mouth and taste like sardines in oil …. but they are different and weird … but low cal and carb …. and well … they are just weird!!! Also bought a little low carb goat cheese and full fat cheddar …. can’t let BSD get too boring. Once i get off my duff and buy a stove …. i might actually try cooking and roasting!! … maybe …..

Christel/shalimar

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

SHALIMAR just read yr profile! I like yr last sentence very much!
    Oh iwd love to visit Canada..its a country that has always called to me.my good friend nursebean who’s a member here is in Canada right now..she said its fabulous..the fall colours are amazing she said!

Oh yeh..i think we are all the same..we all have a funny something we dont want to pay out for..often its something mad! Glad youre extending yr food choices..good way of avoiding getting bored.. I need to do more of that,coz i mainly stick to same old things that i know are safe. Some people on here say their taste buds are changing so its worth giving new things a try that we might previously have found unappealing

Ohhh dry white wine tho…i could kill for a glass of that! Might have to wait tho coz peeps have said that they felt particularly unwell after having some alcohol mid- plan. Xx

• posted by shalimar
    on

Yowzer just read YOUR profile!!

Sounds like a plan!! Love cats, love wine …. and love a bottomless tin of Peek Freens chocolate digestives with a big bag of crisps!!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by Poppetini
    on

Hi Avila – very impressed at your Parkrun.

I’ve recently started jogging again, and can manage a slightly slower 5k than you. I’m hoping to do it 3 times a week. According to my running app, I’m burning around 350 kcals … I’m wondering whether I should go over the 800 kcal limit on the days that I’m running though … any thoughts?

• posted by shalimar
    on

Ah Poppetini ….. i think you are supposed to exercise on the 800 kcal limit …. but i would bring some emergency nuts/seeds along just in case you feel dizzy or nauseous … i bring a small can of vegetable juice for emergency use.

And it may be advisable to work up to the 5 k gradually.

• posted by Avila
    on

I am not doing it 3 times a week – though getting the 10k steps a day with dog walks as a main chunk. We don’t get to add in the burnt calories as extra food, see it as extra fat loss. However everyone is different, I don’t count calories or try to be strict, I try to keep life simple. So if it feels you need a bit more on run days….that’s ok.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

OMG SHALIMAR!
    PF biccies AND crisps..I wd think i had died and gone to heaven!😊😊😊
    Well done on the runs POPPETINI and AVILA! πŸ‘πŸ»

• posted by Avila
    on

Psychological blocks….

I know this works, I have taken off 10% of my body weight and stopped BP meds – yeh!!

Then I relaxed but roughly stable, and refocussed to start being serious with it again – and finding it much harder than before. Okay so I didn’t have the enthusiastic running start of August, and nights drawing in can bring me down. Set myself strict rules for October – no booze, and have ended up drinking on 4 of the last 5 days. I craved it as soon as I said I can’t. And yes it is a depressant so I ended up feeling horrible about my failure and yesterday fell into a reduced to clear cheesecake before an evening meeting that had indian restaurant snacks….. Strangely this has had impact on my weight, and so will be a wasted week – where it goes up and down and the best target is to stay as you were before the wagon crash.

Thing is that all that adds up to feeling angry with myself and sorry for myself at the same time, provoking my desire to drink or to binge – spiral stuff. I am home alone – so no-one to lift my mood or to keep me on safe and narrow.

• posted by josie53
    on

Shalimar how can you not have stove

Please log in or register to post a reply.