Hello :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Igor, I have just had the no carb ploughmans for my lunch (290 calories). It has taken me more than half an hour to get through it, who knew an apple, sliced thinly could be so much. Ended up hubby saying “you could always give me some of the apple” so I did.

I’m not ready to give up the 800 yet as my HBA1c has a way to go, but see me finally sticking with the Med diet.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Ah Igor, you are a kindred spirit (whatever they are!?). I’m also on maintenance and agree wholeheartedly with your lessons learned. The BSD totally changed my perception of food, appetite and cravings. Now I often can’t be bothered to eat 3 meals, and portion sizes are mini in comparison to my previous meals! I generally avoid all refined carbs BUT if I fancy a beer or a (small) dessert, I have it! The carb Devils can’t get a foothold if there’s just an occasional treat ๐Ÿ˜‰ However my days of drinking bubbly seem to be over.. The BSD hangover after only a couple of glasses is not worth it!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

So much wisdom back there on end of previous page from LUCKY AND IGOR ..and on various topics…please dont miss them coz we’re on a new page,coz theyre worth reading x
    Hi folks,sitting here in pjs i havent worn for a while coz they got too tight ! Now theyre not!
    they are clean on..i sleep in big tshirty nightys then if i’ m not going out,i just put on comfy pjs when i get up!
    Small non scale victories – arent they fun! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ x
    And today..da da! ..a banana!..tho they are frighteningly high in carbs! Only my second narna in seven weeks..i do love them and we need the potassium!

on

Hi Yowzer, don’t make the mistake my husband did. He heard bananas were good for you so ate one every day. Next blood test his potassium levels were through the roof. He told his doctor what he had done and of course, just because something is good for you doesnt mean more is better. I should have told him cleaning the bathroom and toilet are good for your heart. Doh….

A little bit of what you fancy etc and I have noticed that the odd carb does not send us back to square one.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks SUNSHINE..ive just had half of my banana,its so delicious ive saved some for later..and tbh it was so filling even tho its only medium size! I used to have a big banana on two thick slices of buttered toast…
    phew i cant believe i used to eat bread AND narna in one sitting!

My sister had a heart attack and fortunately was in an ambulance at the time,taking our elderly father to a hospital appt..talk about being in the right place at the right time!
    When the drama was over and she was settled in a hospital bed,she was craving bananas as she was so low on potassium
    Like you said,At little of what you fancy does you so much good..and its what i love about BSD and 5:2,you really start to hear what yr body is asking for,coz youre not clogging yrself up with carby stuff.

Hey It wd be great if yr OH took on board yr bathroom hint! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Life on maintenance BSD is fun ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s nice to recognise when I am full instead of eating for the thing of it….
    We had weekend visitors and to be honest, I was aghast at how much I ate. And wrong foods.
    I plucked up the courage to weigh this morning and I had stayed the same! Shock horror! I was sooo pleased. I think that because we are a lot more conscious, when we slip up, it is not as bad as we think or as it ever used to be.
    Just stay away from those carbs and we’re victorious.
    Want to lose a few more pounds to be at my ideal target but if that takes me a month I don’t mind….. I’m so happy with the new me!
    Keep it up everyone!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

How lovely to be at maintenance BARISTA! Well done on that big achievement! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป x

• posted by tokyo14
    on

well whilst buying oppo in budgens i have found bread low carbs !!!!! livlife 3 g a slice and 68 cals like a seeded loaf i had it toasted and it was good for those days when you just fancy a bit of bread janey and lucky ๐Ÿž๐Ÿž๐Ÿž

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Random question – who is everyone’s favourite comedian, and who do you just not ‘get’?

My favourite is Peter Kay, and I think Frankie Boyle is about as funny as an STD.

• posted by tokyo14
    on

i have to say i worship at the altar of greg davies oh yes i am his disciple!!!!!!!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

You are indeed Tokyo ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Btw from previously…

Igor, that pudding sounded delicious!

Yowzer, well done on the PJ’s! I haven’t wore PJ’s for years, but I know hubby bought me some a few years back, why I’ll never know, but they may fit me now…! Didn’t then, for sure!

Nice to see you again Barista, and glad you’re at maintenance now! Well done! Still a way to go for me yet, but I’m enjoying myself on the journey anyway!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Anyone got any tips for getting more fibre into me, the best types of foods? The pain relief I am on for my back leaves me with terrible constipation, I’m loathe to take laxatives, and I’m terrified I’ll end up with faecal impaction or something, after hubby had it once :-O

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

LUCKY and all..
    A great blog about Livlife bread ..well worth a read..wd have copied n pasted it but its a bit long.
    And its available in Morrisons as well as Waitrose! X and the bread sounds very promising.
    Whats interesting is the blogger started low carbing some time ago after reading a book by a Doctor Bernstein back in 2010! Of only we had known!
    http://missjengrieves.com/2014/02/27/livelife-bread/

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Best comedian? So hard to pin it down to one, LUCKY
    I love Peter Kay..he is spot on with his observations..and Phoenix Nights was hilarous!
    i also love Peter Serafinowicz..hard name to say or spell…very funny Liverpool comedian.
    And i love Eddy Izzard.
    Some comedians i like but their delivery is quite slow and i find that tiring! E.g.,Stewart Lee.its brilliant timing but i lose patience tho its actually worth waiting!
    I like sillybilly stuff too…has anyone listened to Count Arthur Strong on radio 4? He had a tv series recently.

I havent seen Frankie BOyle Lucky..he doesnt sound very good from what you say!

Anyone remember the programme The Comedians on tv years ago? Some very funny comedians on there.x

• posted by tokyo14
    on

dynamite lucky dynamite!!!!!๐Ÿ’ฃ๐Ÿ’ฃ

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

As an alternative to dynamite, I found Carbzone low carb bread (OH found on Ocado) to both taste quite reasonable (bit like German rye bread) and also to have unexpected and appreciated effects on what we call “digestive transit” in our house. (No we don’t, just joking – was thinking only the other day about the efforts of the advertising agencies to find the most acceptable phrase for this whilst they worked on the laxatives accounts) ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Oh Phoenix Nights is a classic Yowzer, my husband watches that over and over again, and I think each time you’ll notice something new. I’ll have to show you a pic of me in Fancy Dress as Young Kenny in May! Remember when he had his face spray painted as a tiger and it wouldn’t come off???
    Did you watch the spin off Max and Paddy’s Road to Nowhere?
    I like Jon Richardson too, he’s so funny. And sweet.
    Frankie Boyle takes it too far. I like a bit of a laugh and can wince at some things that are near the knuckle and not let them offend, but he’s too much even for me. And that’s saying something.

Ah now you’re talking old school comedians Yowzer, times (and comedy) have changed! Not always sure whether for the better either!

Tokyo – no help as per usual, love! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Maybe Janey will have some hints after her recent crappy holiday.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Peter Kay Car Share. Priceless ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

LOL Igor! Do you know what makes me laugh with the advertising of that stuff, in particular one well done laxative brand… little yellow pill. It shows a ‘troubled’ woman, then her waking up the next morning, stretching and smiling in bed! Have you EVER taken this? There IS no time to stretch and smile, for the love of GOD it’s all you can do to bolt to the bathroom and make it in time! And there she is leaving for work with a big satisfied smile on her face. Whereas I’m still wiping tears away three hours later… I must be doing something wrong…

Car Share was comedy gold. Absolutely brilliant. Wonderful rapport between the two of them.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

IGOR i wonder why it always seems to be women on the constipation ads on tv?
    I remember as a child getting sent to buy a laxative with my friend,for her Nan. I think they were called Bile Beans! Not sure if you can buy them now! Every time we tried to walk into the shop we both burst out laughing and had to wait outside trying to contain our mirth. Presumably we eventually managed to purchase them and poor Nan hopefully got some relief! X
    Ps yes good point LUCKY re the senokot ad!
    Phoenix nights and car share..brilliant! X ive seen that photo on yr blog LUcky! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป x

• posted by Avila
    on

Awful day, and my fault, with dog in the woods last night and decided to take a short cut, but didn’t put her back on lead in time, and the short cut was shorter than I thought and we were suddenly out in the bit of wood adjacent to fields with sheep. She leapt the wall in seconds and it took ages chasing to get her under control. She did get a bite in and the farmer is asking for her to be put down, I accept she can’t be trusted near temptation and there is a lot of that in the area. So sending her back to the rescue centre so they can rehome her in an urban area is the compromise position. I joked that the weight loss I need is like losing my dog – but next week when they have room for her that is exactly what I will be doing, losing my dog. But am saving her from a life on short lead and muzzle never free to run.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ohh AVILA so so sad to read this…so very very sorry you will have to lose yr dog..its so hard for you to have to do this xx losing a pet is really really difficult. Cant find words to express how much i feel for you..can only send big hugs and say i am thinking of you,and my hearts aching for you xxx

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

So sorry Avila x

• posted by gavinfabl
    on

Sorry to hear your news Avila:(

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lucky – Just got in, playing catch up!
    a) Susan Calman
    b) sorry to hear you’re on tablets for your back – is your foot any better? When you’re a svelte size ten, all the aches and pains will magically disapear
    c) try senna tablets – very gentle

Avila – so sorry to hear about your dog, that’s awful.
    Hugs from Froglet (even tho she’s not hugely keen on dogs)

Barista – life on maintenance – whew!
    Is that just you, or your mum as well? (or is it the other way round, I remember that you were both doing the diet and posting in unison at one stage)

I picked up smoked salmon pate yesterday, then realised at home that I usually eat it on toast. Pretty good with spinach leaves!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Avila, so sorry about your dog. Is there no alternative?

Lucky, psyllium husks .They look carby but you do not absorb them and they work a treat. I have a historic horror of constipation for several reasons, including opiates. So always keep psyllium in the house, even though I did not need it when I was eating whole grains and pasta, and lots of veggie skins and lots of fruit. You need to start off small, and you need to drink a lot, but we are doing that anyway.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

I have never heard of Susan Caiman, Frog, I am going to look her up though. I like discovering new people. Or rather new to me. Foot has been ok thank you, for two days now, I think, I lose count ๐Ÿ˜Š. I had wondered about senna tablets but are they enough to counter codeine? Maybe it’s me of little faith. Just got in??? Is this what it’s like to have a social life? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ruth, now. You saying that. One of my other harebrained ‘diets’ was taking Garcinia Cambogia tablets earlier in the year, in conjunction with colon cleansing tablets. Completely natural, they actually taste like cloves, and I think the primary ingredient in those is psyllium husk? They did work anyway, I will check when I go downstairs. Thanks both of you โ˜บ get up and weigh now…

• posted by Frog
    on

morning Lucky
    she’s very funny – on radio 4 quite a lot, but I think I’ve seen her on HIGNFY a few times
    added plus – she likes cats!
    Not very exciting; just a drink after work, ONE glass of wine & lots of water, and mostly ignored the shared plates on the table (two breaded prawns, some bacon, and about 100g of chips)

try the Senna – if they don’t work the first day, jut take them the second day too, Lots of branded ones, but Boots is about half the price.
    The other thing that can contribute to constipation on BSD is not getting enough salt. I know the general panic is about having too much salt, but easy to do if you’ve cut out lots of processed food.
    On the thread “Anyone else having problems with excessive bathroom visits” Sunshine girl made a brilliant post about the mechanics of where the fat goes to (on 28 Aug) that covers this – do look back for it if you missed it the other day.

I really dislike the texture of psyliumm husk – makes, me gag, I find it really hard to swallow it, Do you still have any of the colon cleansing tablets left? they might do the trick.

• posted by gavinfabl
    on

Morning all ๐Ÿ™‚

Lets see, Hi-Lo bread in toaster, egg in egg boiler, butter – all systems are go ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Gooooood Morning Frog! That sounds like a very reasonable night out both alcohol and food wise.

I’ve just googled Susan Calman, I see she has one picture with a stuffed cat at her shoulder ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t say I recognise her from her picture… although sometimes you have to see someone and hear them speak to recall… but I did see she posted this on Twitter

‘Thanks for all the lovely comments about @Go8BitComedy. It’s on UK Play now and on Dave on 5th September. Fab show, I lose my mind slightly.’

So I will set a reminder for that. I barely watch any television now. I maintain that I don’t like it, but I suspect the real reason is that I don’t get to control the handset in my own home, so I’ve probably fooled myself into thinking I don’t. If it’s not cartoons it’s Police interceptors, or coastguards, or fishing trawlers, or ice road truckers, or grown men eating bear poo in the wild, or customs officers, or people with shocking tattoos… And let’s not forget Rugby, Football and the Darts. Don’t mind so much about those but everything else… meh. You will always find me in my chair reading a book.

I do have a big tub of those tablets left, they just seemed to be full of spices and herbs and natural bits, so I will try seeing as I have them in, and failing that I will try the senna. I have to say I’m one of the awful ones who has never heeded the salt warning, I like my food salty, but in saying that, I am probably eating less salt now than I ever have. As you say, just by means of cutting out the processed foods alone, and the dusting of salt on the savoury food I actually eat now is quite possibly not cutting it. Good point. I will hunt that thread down now. Thank you Frog ๐Ÿ™‚

Morning Gavin! Enjoy your breakfast ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

Morning Gavin
    Think I’ll miss breakfast & go for brunch – although there’s a small piece of smoked salmon in the fridge, and the thought of it nestling next to a poached egg & some avocado is tempting!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Frog! The taxi driver! Oh my days, I bet you couldn’t wait to get out of there… but he is right. I read it in a book, Drop Dead Healthy by A.J Jacobs, he took a year to dramatically improve his health, and I’ll never forget that was a part that was covered. He even ordered a special platform…

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Come to think of it, now I’m not as overweight, sedentary and cynical as I was when I read it a few years back, I might give it another read! Might pick up a few pointers this time! Seeing as that is the only part of the whole book that I can recall…

• posted by Frog
    on

she’s Scottish, and not very tall, if that helps you place her, and very funny
    if you search for her on the BBC website, there are a couple of Edinburgh festival shows available on Iplayer that she’s been on.

If you have the colon cleansing tablets in the house, and you know that you’ve been OK with them in the past, worth giving them a try.

I’m sure Calman would be proud – being discussed alongside a discussion about constipation ๐Ÿ™‚
    – Although to be fair, the last time I went to one of her live appearances, she was greeting people as they came in – but because it was a smallish venue, it did give her the appearance of being the loo attendant!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

She sounds very much like me then, apart from the Scottish bit. And the very funny bit.

There is only one way to find out I suppose, tweet her a link. But then, we might end up being used in a comedy sketch… I do hope she’s not one of these who self-googles… ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Imagine…

Fair play to her for doing that though, a lot of these ‘celebs’ need to remember they’re just normal people after all.

And! It’s September! Which means our very own Janey’s marathon challenge for charity starts today! I’m sure we all wish her the best and will keep encouraging her daily with our words of wisdom ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck Janey!

• posted by Frog
    on

He was a teensy bit scary – I’d probably had a glass of wine too many if I was getting a cab home, and the feeling of being locked in a small space with a weirdo I’ve never met before discussing his and his families toilet habits in way too much detail than I cared to hear will be with me for a very long time.
    I’ve been on the receiving end of many odd and slightly unwelcome conversations/diatribes from cab drivers over the years, but that is certainly up there with the weirdest!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Frog, no my mum isn’t on maintenance yet as she has/had a long way to go but she’s still going onwards and downwards. Her brother in law didn’t recognise her the other day!
    Smoked salmon pate sounds goooorgeous

• posted by Frog
    on

I sponsored Janey for something, but missed what she was doing exactly

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

She’s walking a marathon in a month for BHF I think it is. Bless her, she’s a good girl.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Right, need to shower and tidy up before the inlaws descend. Although the tidy up bit is going to be a waste of time after the 4 year old whirlwind they’re bringing with them decimates my house between now and 10pm tonight!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Baristagirl – yes, the pate was great.
    I’m sure that your weight loss and achieving your goal is huge encouragement for your mum – as well as BiL not recognising her – do say Hello to her from me (or does she post on here with her own moniker now?)

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

No, she would use the same login as me ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Morning all, yes, today starts my marathon in a month, for the BHF. I have to walk/run 26.2 miles between now and the 30th. According to my fitness Jawbone this should be achievable!! Thanks to all those who sponsored me, including Frog, who didn’t even know WHAT she was sponsoring me for apparently!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Frog has more important things to do than pay attention to trivialities, don’t you Frog? Such as… stuffing mushrooms ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Morning folks! Yes first September! I love the autumn. White rabbits! If its one of those months you say white rabbits…yes it is coz theres an R in it! JANEY how is yr training going?
    FROG i was intrigued avout the taxi driver but cdnt find what you had said..just Luckys comments on him! Iwhich reminded me of a man i know slightly…chatting to him one day,he was telling me his routine when he gets in at teatime…he has a sh*t,a shower, and makes his evening meal. I tried to maintain a look of polite interest but was dying to laugh!
    LUCKY hope the visit goes well and so glad your heels nothurting any more! X

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

LOL Yowzer, that was very blunt and to the point, wasn’t it? And way tmi from him! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you, me too. Not here yet… I’ll need eyes in my backside today.

• posted by Frog
    on

Yowzer – it was a thread about excessive peeing which then drifted into constipation
    – worth looking at because Sunshine girl made a brilliant post about where/how the fat we loose actually goes.
    It reminded me however, of a weird taxi journey where the cab driver talked exclusively about squatting to poo rather than sitting on the toilet.

Janey – I knew it was a marathon and British heart foundation – I just hadn’t appreciated that is was quite as challenging as over a month – that’s almost a mile (2,000 steps) a day!
    I’ve just calculated it – assuming a stride length of 80cm, 1,758 steps a day ๐Ÿ™‚
    Great cause – have fun!

too busy doing pointless calculations Lucky!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hehe! I love how conversations on these threads swings from one topic to another and back again FROG!
    Hilarious about that taxi driver๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜! We are just captive audiences when it comes to cab drivers arent we!

I must try and find that and read Sunshines comment on how where fat goes..i just read this on the fast day forum,from a friend responding to me saying tho i had lost a lot of weight it was ” old fat” ive lost and regained so many times!…
    “I know what you mean about ‘old fat’- it feels as though I have been gaining and losing the same 6kg for the last 30 years!! Where does it hide I wonder! I just imagine it sat in the top of the wardrobe, sneaking in and out when I’m not looking!”

When people on here are talking about losing large amounts of weight – which hallelujah! We all seem to be doing..i always get mental image of family friends and neighbours slipping and sliding on the lost pounds of fat! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ X
    Ive GOT to find that post! I really want to know where DOES it go? X

on

Yowzer, fat comes out in your pee and poo, or my comments that it floats around in the air and usually lands on my rear end

Please log in or register to post a reply.