Fizzy water / drinks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

I know that lots of people on BSD drink fizzy water for hydration, and I wonder if anyone else picked up on the article in the papers today about new research which indicates that carbonated drinks, including water, can lead to weight gain, due to increasing levels of ghrelin (the hunger hormone)……

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/fizzy-water-could-cause-obesity-encouraging-eat/

I just KNEW there was a reason for me not liking fizzy water 😉
    Mind you, that means I can’t use it as my excuse either 🙁

No idea if it’s true but, just in case, I will definitely carry on sticking to still water / drinks in future.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I always choose sparkling water over still water when eating out! I love drinking it as it feels like a nice treat! Oh no, not another thing to eliminate from my diet! Would be interested to read what other people think- it’s hard to know what to believe these days! I can’t say I’ve noticed that it makes me feel hungry. I think I might still drink it when eating out. I drink tap water at home and we have a lovely filtered water machine at work and the water tastes delicious.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I drink soda water when out and have never noticed feeling hungrier afterwards, it is usually when my planned food has all been eaten but I don’t find myself hovering looking for snacks. I will bear it in mind though if I do suddenly start getting the munchies, and cut back.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

“Corporation pop” for me at home, as well. I do drink some fizzy water but have not noticed an appreciable impact on hunger, but that may be because I tend only to drink it when I’m already eating.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Perhaps it is personal — I absolutely love Gerolstein fizzy mineral water and I drink it for thirst on warm days and for dinner (as my alternative to wine). I probably drink 2 big bottles per day or even 3 if I have been out gardening in the (not yet) hot California sun (where is our summer? Not here yet).
    Not only does it get me all the water i need to drink, it is chock full of minerals and 28% of my days requirement of calcium per bottle, which helps me hold down the cheese intake (I only eat cheese to protect my bones, of course…LOL).

• posted by Jande9
    on

Thanks for the tip on Gerolsteiner mineral water. My wife doesn’t eat dairy so that would help her with her calcium intake.

We drink a lot of sparkling water. It was a habit picked up a couple of years ago when we started having dry January’s, and we have stuck with it. We usually just use the SodaStream but this Gerolsteiner sounds good.

Jan

• posted by Patsy
    on

According to the trials, rats put on weight. That isn’t reported as happening with the human volunteers

• posted by Jande9
    on

There are no calories in fizzy water. Whether it affects your biochemistry causing you to eat more I can’t say, but I have been drinking it daily for 3 years to help reduce the calorie intake from alcoholic drinks, and I have not found it to increase appetite at all. In fact, it seems to satisfy my hunger.
    I have lost almost 20% of my body weight during that time putting my BMI well into the average.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have reported this post also

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Jande9 – just to confirm that it wasn’t your post I reported but an advertising post – which the tech department have now removed.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi KrysiaD, I guess it was the same one I have been reporting, quoting a web site etc which he/she put on several threads. All seem to have been removed.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Yes it was the same one. It’s great that we are ‘on the ball’ because it is really wrong for people/companies to advertise on this forum.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yes, especially when it is something counter productive to this diet, it sounded like a weight gain supplement. We are on this diet because it is the one we want to be on, not to be told to do something different.

Please log in or register to post a reply.