What sort of excersise?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by lil_Sprocket
    on

In the fast excersise book, they recommend running or an excersise bike. I don’t want to buy a piece of equipment. And there are no good places to run fast around me without running into people, and definatly no hills.

The book seems to frown on using a skipping rope? Is it really not as good? I’ve seen allot of hiit apps using jumping jacks and such excersise? Can they be used?

Thank you for your thoughts 🙂

• posted by Rainey
    on

I haven’t read the book, so there’s that… But why does it have to be running? I’ve always heard that walking is just as effective. And wouldn’t a conventional bike provide the same exercise as a stationary one?

Do what you can do! it’s better than being sedentary.

BTW, I suspect the lack of endorsement for jumping rope is to reduce the stress on joints. But, of course, that’s just speculation. I know I’m older and it’s just not worth abusing mine at this point. So I burn 400 or so calories a day with a brisk uphill walk on the treadmill and a random pattern on the stationary bike. It wouldn’t impress anyone but it increases my breathing and raises something of a sweat so I congratulate myself for that.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi lil_Sprocket
    I haven’t read the book either but last week I watched MM’s Channel 4 programme Lose A Stone in 21 Days with Michael Mosley.
    I was particularly interested in the exercise bit which was in Episode 2 (There’s 3 episodes). He talked about the importance of exercise when on a diet to maintain muscle mass as well as general fitness and he talked about resistance training. He got his volunteers to do things like push ups, squats and jumping jacks (or at least I think that’s what they were). So, similar to the things you’re talking about.
    He also mentioned the importance of flexibility and did a bit on Yoga (can’t remember if that was in Episode 2 or 3) – and you saw people generally being more active e.g. walking etc.
    If you are in the UK here’s the link
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/lose-a-stone-in-21-days-with-michael-mosley/episode-guide – might be worth watching.

When I first started BSD 800 I had done zilch exercise so I started walking and eventually got up to 10,000 steps a day. I like walking because it encourages me to be more active. At the start of BSD800 I didn’t do anything else.

Then about 2 or 3 months later I was referred into an exercise programme by my GP. I did a couple of classes a week doing a mix of the things MM did in the Lose a Stone programme (didn’t know why I was doing them then) and did 1 or 2 days in the gym (again I was told what to do – bike, treadmill, weights, arm bike thing?). Rainey’s last sentence sums up my efforts, too “It wouldn’t impress anyone but it increases my breathing and raises something of a sweat”.
    I think the exercises I did in class were probably the most useful for me because I worked harder when I was with other people and the instructor. But they were all things I can do at home and from the before and after tests it did the job in that I didn’t lose any muscle – apparently I gained a little – good enough for me, and my strength, balance and flexibility were much better.

I don’t go to the gym now – it closed for refurbishment, then Covid-19, now refurbishment again. I’ve carried on walking (mostly) but am putting together my own home-based exercise routine for now – will see how it goes.

Don’t know if any of this helps but I’d also say the same as Rainey – do what you can as you can. Good luck with it.
    Jennie xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, there are lots of exercise programmes free on-line especially on YouTube. I do a home DVD from many years ago with Beverly Callard which suits me and also a DVD with Shaun T called HipHopAbs but also, on YouTube there is a girl called Adriene who does yoga. She has various version depending on whether you have done it before and I start with the 30 for beginners.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi sunshine-girl – Thanks, it’s turned from sunny-ish to cold here and your post has reminded me to dig out my walking and exercise CDs.
    Cheers
    Jennie xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

That should have been 30 days for beginners yoga – so she eases you in.

• posted by Laulauloula
    on

I think running far is better than running fast? I used to have a little trampette, that cost £15 and you could sort of jog on. It was loads of fun and you could watch tv while you were on it. Plus minimal joint impact.

I did hit a weight loss plateau but mixing up my exercise from running and cycling to a bit of tennis and long distance walking really helped to shift it.

• posted by eliobaresi
    on

Hmm!
    Sounds interesting. Could you share few more details on this?

Please log in or register to post a reply.