First day on the diet ,here I gooooo

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Just made a really weird breakfast probably not correct but low calorie
    Kippers ,rocket,uncooked spinach,tomatoes olive oil.
    Ate at 12-30 which will make the day go by easier food wise ,out last night saying goodbye to whisky and beer !
    Got a great deal on fresh salmon so froze for another day
    I’ve also chomped some sunflower seeds but high calorie so just a few.
    Maybe an apple later but not hungry yet !!!
    I prefer to use the word plan instead of diet as I think diets are temporary ,it’s a life change for me.
    Alan 19 stone 8 pounds

• posted by orchid
    on

Alan, all that matters about breakfast is that you enjoyed it! If you did, you will be happy and full for longer. Almonds are also quite good to chomp on (with skins) as you cant chew them without being conscious of what you are doing! They are around 1 gram each so 3 nuts are about 20cals and just under 1g carbs.
    I agree with the psychology – this is a life-style change for us all, not a diet as that is temporary, and a plan to get to where you need to be.
    good luck

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Like nuts but are high in calories soooo I got bowl peanuts in their shells they’re a pain to eat but makes you eat em slower and as they’re dry I’ve got a pint of water
    Nutritious snack and the fluids too wow and only my first day,this is so easy
    Ha yeh not really .

• posted by Kingdoone
    on

I started on Wednesday .so far so good .
    I shall be interested in your results .

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi alanhypno
    You were asking about Greek yogurt, I don’t know if anyone has answered your question, but here goes, I asked the very same question, look for TOTAL FARGE Greek yogurt, full fat it’s apparently the best as it hasn’t got many carbs in it. So next time you are at the supermarket look for that, then you can add blueberries, strawberries, pear and walnuts, although pear is very high in carbs! So only have that as a treat. Hope this helps
    Christine

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks so much for that tip on yoghurt ,I’ve had this huge pot of Tesco yoghurt which I’ve been having odd spoonful as snack and small bowl with blueberries after lunch
    Day one was way too easy,had to force my evening meal of scrambled eggs down me after my chicken salatd lunch
    What’s the catch ?
    Be interesting to see if my 19 st 8 lb has dropped end of week.
    Thank you Alan

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Alan

Glad day 1 went well ๐Ÿ˜ƒ There’s no catch, eating more fat helps us feel full longer. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Keep up the good work and keep us informed how you are doing.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks for the tip on yoghurt I’ve just had it with blueberries absolutely gorgeous !
    Lot dearer than low fat yogurt but won’t be eating it by the barrel full
    It went down well after my chicken breast salad.
    Zero hunger pangs no head ache,hope my portions are ok that’s my biggest worry,I’ve put the chicken into my fitness app and results vary so much so called one breast 87 calories prolly wrong .
    This morning I had egg bacon mushroom tomatoes please tell me off if this is way over.
    Cheers Alan day 2

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

We’ll end of two days,got on scales,no loss
    I think finding simple meals can be difficult ,like an easy breakfast ,I got the oats but is this ok for every day ?
    If so I’ll do this ,maybe fruits to liven it up.
    I’m going for subway salad bowls with various meats chicken etc for lunch just throw some olive oil on it.
    Got quite bit salmon but need an easy food to add with it,all I think of are veges.
    Then apples n nuts n seeds to snack
    Cheers Alan (confused bloke )

• posted by Patsy
    on

Scrambled eggs or omelettes are an easy and quite filling meal and one you can have at any time of day.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Alan

Your comment about Subway salad bowls made me think.

When I was on holiday for a few days recently I ate those salad bowls twice, for convenience, and that is the only time I’ve gained a few pounds.

I’ve recently discovered that many cooked meats include sugar on the list of ingredients and just checked the Subway UK nutritional values. The sugar values listed as part of the carbohydrates is higher than I would expect so suspect that their cooked meats do include sugar in one form or another. Perhaps you could try cooking your own meat/chicken and making up a salad? Or eggs or cheese with salad?

Can’t advise about oats – can’t eat them, they spike my blood sugar๐Ÿ˜ณ

To go with your salmon, how about cauliflower rice? Veggies or salad would be ok. But I’m sure someone else will be along with other ideas. Or check out the ‘what did you eat today’ thread for ideas.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi alanhypno
    Glad you ‘found’ the yogurt, I use it all the time now, I particularly like it for breakfast with blueberries, I can’t wait for our raspberries to fruit I will have those then too, try crushing almonds or walnuts in too, it ads to the variety.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi alanhypno
    Try doing bacon and avocado wrapped in gem lettuce for lunch they are easy to cook and they store in a container to take to work, also try lucias mushroom, bacon and egg thingy, get a bun tray put a mushroom in the bottom , wrap a rasher or two round the edge, then crack in egg in and bake in the oven, I did them on 180 fan for fifteen mins, and they were great I took them on the plane and had them for my lunch, we are in Tenerife at the moment.
    Hope that helps
    Christine

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Third day over,ate correct all weekend but think over ate on correct food as pound up in two days !
    Staying away from scales now and only use once week.
    Strange but kept to it strict today and feeling ever so alert,even great sleep last night but can’t all be cos of three days on this .
    Lovely salmon n veg tonight ,no bread !
    Two litres water went in couple hours too.
    Cheers folks Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Day four
    Porridge an apple, palm full nuts snacks. App telling me half calories used up !
    Looks like lettuce for lunch !
    Not hungry which is weird ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Alan
    You’re finding the added benefits of this lifestyle mate.
    Yes you will feel more alert and you will sleep better
    Yes you won’t feel the hunger, and YES it can all happen in just a few days
    Enjoy !

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Alanhypno,
    To reinforce some of the above [from a day 9 expert!]
    If you are anything like me [started at 18st 6lbs] much of BSD is an education in matters you’ve ignored like calories, carb substitution, achieving some sort of balance in your eating. For that reason I found after a couple of days that referring the suggested menus was easier. They also help change your outlook and taste – encouraging experimentation beyond your normal food.
    You’ll have a doubt or two but persist, and for me by Day 8 I was feeling energised and fully enjoying proper exercise as well.
    From the documentary two things keep repeating in my head:
    ‘Quorn is your friend’ – low cal and filling burgers in lettuce for example.
    80% of weight loss is diet & 20% exercise, so keep moving too.
    And 100% mindfulness [the latter was me, but pleased that Dr M. includes it] .

Good luck with the plan.

• posted by LisaClifford
    on

Hi, I’m on day 3 and so far so good. Ive mixed up a few recipes to make breakfast into something I actually like….and I have discovered I hate bluberries, so this mornni had plain yoghurt with some diced gala melon and have had handful pumpkin seeds mid morning. Lunch was 2 large lettuce leaves with a steamed portabello mushroom topped with grated beetroot, mixed seeds and feta cheese. So far I am not hungry inbetween meals so heres hoping that continues.

• posted by LisaClifford
    on

Hi, what did you make porridge with? I didnt see it in any of the books weekly plans or recipes so didnt know we could have it?

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Afternoon folks!

From my reading of the book, porridge i.e. jumbo proper oats is something to include in the long-term M Plan as opposed to be included in the 800 calories a day 8 week BSD.

that said, husband & self do treat ourselves to one SMALL bowl once a week, made with almond milk & topped with a small number of berries & a sprinkle of what we call ‘seed-dust’ – it is helpful along with psyllium husk for ‘getting things going’ …….. We then cut back on carbs for the rest of that day, it is about finding out what works best for each person, we are all individuals!

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Day four lunch salad bit of chicken olive oil
    BUT have to cut those nuts out and find in between snack alternative as think I’ve overdone em !
    But not hungry which makes me think I’m fat as ever !
    Drinking stacks of water n green tea and yes have included small bowl of oats in morning
    We’ll see Friday night ๐ŸŽญ

• posted by Juliet
    on

Hi Everybody

My second day in and I’m feeling resolved and focussed. (Both new feelings for me!) Having stepped on the scales this morning to find I am 3 lbs lighter than yesterday morning I am delighted : ) Struggling a bit with hunger at the moment so filling up on water. Have just scoffed ( I know I should have eaten them slowly) 25g cashews so have only enough calories left for an omelette tonight. This could be a mistake…

The successes in Michael’s book, along with the clear explanations for a non-scientific brain like mine, have motivated me to change my awful eating habits. I want to be here for my three children and husband for as long as I can and to be fit and active enough to join in the kids games instead of sitting like a lump taking photos of them instead.

The forum is inspirational and I look forward to getting to know those of you who are so far down the line already and blazing the trail for people like me who are just trying to get through a whole hour without thinking about chocolate… xx

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Juliet, your motivation for change is spot on! The cravings will alter and you will get to the stage when you wonder why you ate the wrong things – husband and I cannot believe how quickly we feel full these day and the thought of ‘sweet-treats’ is a non-starter.

Good luck!

• posted by Juliet
    on

Thankyou FiFiP – really good to hear you’re feeling full now. I look forward to leaving the years of sugary treats behind me and finding other ways to ‘reward’ myself.

Thankyou for your support : )

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

So day four gone discovered shouldn’t be eating oats !
    And I bought box rolled oats too.
    Not one tiny bit hungry which leads me to believe I’ve eaten too many nuts !
    My afternoon readings which are 4/5 hours after lunch have come down each day and now are 6.4 ,not sure if that’s fasting or what though
    Morning reading staying over 9
    Tomorrow I WILL reduce calories
    Cheers folks any pointer really really welcome Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Should we carry on with metformin,and monitor bloods until it’s lower ?

• posted by Shazza1963
    on

My first day. Things I have learnt:

It’s easier than I thought to skip breakfast so that I’ve got more calories to play with for lunch and dinner.
    When I’m not spiking and crashing my blood sugar levels by consuming huge amounts of chocolate I don’t get screaming hunger pangs, just a gentle reminder that now it is time to eat.
    As I’m not mindlessly shovelling food in all day long I have savoured and appreciated what I did eat today.

Today was easier than I thought, I fear that tomorrow will not be so easy!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hey Alan if the B’S readings are going down then you are definitely on the right track. Portion sizes are hard to grasp but check the pictures in the book (or Google Michael Mosley Daily Mail if you have the kindle version since the recipes feature there). Weight will drop off before you know it. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Julia

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alan,
    Hashimoto says Aldi sell small bags of seeds and nuts in low cal serves near the checkouts. Think she said 39p ea. Or you could weigh out a 30g serve and store in zip lock bags. Keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge. Easy to boil half a dozen at a time, then they are cold and ready to eat when you get the urge to snack. I also used to weigh out individual portions of cheese(20g), strawberries(50g) and 6 cherry tomatoes all in individual reusable bags. If you are going out you can just grab a bag to take. Some celery with the hollow filled with hummus or cream or cottage cheese is good. I add dried onion and chives to a pot of cottage cheese and stir it through to give it a nice flavour.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Juliet and Shazza, you ladies are on the right track. Those first few days are the tough ones. So much to learn and unlearn. All while your body is kicking and screaming ‘ I want carbs’ like a tantrum prone toddler. Don’t give in though, stay strong and it will pass. It gets better very quickly.
    Soon you’ll be on the other side of it and giving advice to other new starters. Letting them know that the cravings melt away along with the kilos ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Alan,

If you really intend to follow the fast 800 diet, it is critical to weigh/measure everything . . . especially calorie dense foods (like nuts and olive oil on your Subway salad). It doesn’t take much to double (or more) the calories allotted for the day.

Not everyone intends to stick to 800 calories a day, but if you do – accurate measurement of your food is critical. Most people are incredibly bad at estimating quantities.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Day Five
    So two hours after evening meal salmon n greens it’s 6.7
    Not sure what a satisfactory score is but coming down
    Reduced calories as bit over 800 ,measuring even my olive oil now !
    Cheers folks Alan

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Alan, not sure if you are following the menu plans. As jackiewilsonsaid said ๐Ÿ˜€ you might be best to follow those. Have a look at them and if it’s something you don’t fancy, pick something else with roughly same calorie count. The 5:2 diet book is useful too as it has calories for meals. Try to work out a full week’s worth of meals as it’s easier to stick to when you’ve planned ahead. Also you can do a shopping list and not buy stuff you don’t need.

The no carb bircher is good and filling although you need to ensure you are ok to use the flaxseed as some health conditions should avoid it and it can upset your tummy at first. It did me but I got used to it in a few days.

Try stuff you may be unsure of – the cauliflower rice is good, especially in the kedgeree. CourgettI Prawns are good as is harrisa chicken and the fish in foil. Turkey and lamb burgers pretty quick to make and tasty.

Keep going, it’ll transform your life and your figure.

Good luck to all of you just starting, it’s worth it!

• posted by Juliet
    on

Oh my goodness do I take my hat off to all of you! I think I just must be so pathetically weak with no self discipline at all. I have lost 4lb since starting on Monday so am delighted BUT I am really, really hungry. The dog keeps moving away from me – I’m sure she senses how desperate I am… I am going to have to go to bed so as not to eat anything I shouldn’t, but in the meantime all tips very very welcome please.

I am drinking lots of water and black coffee and keep trying to tell myself it’s not hunger pangs, it’s the sensation of my tummy shrinking : / Can anyone tell me please with the baking recipes can you substitute almond or any other type of flour for the coconut flour please as my husband and I don’t like coconut? Maybe a wee courgette muffin would stop me feeling so deprived.

Really glad you’re out there when I need you – thankyou for listening to my moans xx

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

I thought salmon was OK also green leafy veg ?
    Isn’t this allowed
    Cheers Alan

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Salmon and green leafy veg are fine Alan, the BSD gang are just trying to help! The book (have a look at the Mail on Sunday online article as well) has lots of good recipes and as another poster said, it will help you with menu plans as well as help reassure you that what you are doing is ok!

You will get the hang of it, promise and good health and a good body will follow!!

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Out n bout and peckish
    Bought tiny bag nuts ยฃ1-9p
    Saw 600 calories in the bag
    Ate four and chucked em in the bin
    Outta temptation
    Think I’m losing the plot
    Alan

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Juliet,
    There’s nothing wrong with what you are feeling, your body is just demanding carbs. It wants easy to digest sugary foods like it is used to. It doesn’t want to burn fat for fuel so it’s trying to make you provide it with the quick solution!
    Only you’re not going to, you know what is best for it in the long run. I used to go to bed early too. It does help in the first few days. So does saving some calories for a healthy, fatty snack. So a hard boiled egg, a 20g slice of cheese, a 50g serve of full fat plain yoghurt sprinkled with cinnamon. Eat slowly and put your food/ spoon down between mouthfuls. Allow the food to kind of dissolve in your mouth rather than just simply chewing and swallowing. The extra time gives your body a chance to realise it’s eaten, and you get a chance to really taste and enjoy your food.
    The carb cravings will pass so hang in there, it’s worth it ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

First week over
    Think the scales are broke its telling be I’ve lost 8 pounds eight pounds that’s half a stone n over !!!!!!!
    Amazing very very pleased ,not been hungry one bit apart from 9pm munchy urges
    But on downside my morning reading slipped back up to 8.5 .
    Is this fluctuation normal ?
    Alan

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Brilliant news on the weight loss Alan. Suggest you read the thread “this has just got to work for me” d started by Bill1954. He shares his experiences with his readings so this might help you. Keep up the good work! J

• posted by Juliet
    on

Thankyou Cherrianne for your encouraging reply. It all makes sense – it feels strange not reacting to my body’s demands but I know how dangerous those might be!

I did hang in there and now, Day5 I have lost 6lb and feel I’m getting the hang of planning ahead for what I’m going to eat. I think this is crucial for me – to have an overview of what the day’s food will look like and roughly when I’m going to eat it.

A very long way to go still but I feel buoyed up by what I read on the threads and encouraged by the feedback I have had. Thankyou : )

Well done Alan – you’ve done fantastically well to keep going. I’m sure it will get easier for us!!

• posted by April
    on

Great job Alan, the first week is so motivating.
    I’m sure your sugars will stabilise, just give it more time, stay strong and don’t let it deter you

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Asked my doctor for a meter they said it’s not bad enough to have a free one
    I had bought one anyway from eBay ,just thought I’d try get free needles etc for nothing.
    Worth a try
    I did apply for those free online ones
    Nothing turned up yet.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Meant to say big thanks to all on here for help in my first week I will take any advice criticism tips etc ,even stuff we don’t like to hear helps.
    Alan ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Alan, great news with your progress; do look at This has Got to Work for Me, as mentioned by other posters; Bill is a type 2 and his journey is remarkable. The post will help you, he charts all his ups and downs and what happened during his 8 weeks!

What he has achieved is quite incredible!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Juliet
    There is something called gram flour that is made from chick peas. You can find it in most supermarkets its used extensively in Indian recipes

• posted by Juliet
    on

Thanks Madmare. I will look for some later on today in Tesco.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Oops thought I would have a Tesco diet shake this morning but seems it’s 25g sugar and 26g carbs ! 15g protein ….only 200 calories tho
    7.1 fasting today after 9 days on this ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Alan, many, many diet products have the fat removed and replaced by sugar, so they are best avoided.

If you are hungry, eat a small piece of cheese or have a hard-boiled egg. These are better for you + are ‘on-diet’.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Disappointed at fasting BS reading this morning of 8.7
    Morning seems incredibly hard and erratic ,only been a week but still ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    Alan

Please log in or register to post a reply.