First day on the diet ,here I gooooo

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Thank you Jackie, will do.

Rachel

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62,
    I’ve been busy recently so have only been dipping in when I can, just read your thread, like bill and Jackie said you have to pat yourself on the back for sticking with while feeling hungry and struggling, while still losing weight! It took me ages and I only got to where I am with the help of these brilliant folk on this forum, it’s important that you have enough fat! A concept that floored me at first, I could not get my head round it, once I had, the plateau I was on disappeared and the weight started coming off, it comes off eventually sometimes in fits and starts, then you have to look at the foods you are consuming how many carbs are in them, I loved the cottage cheese walnut and pear, however I found out that the pear had loads of carbs in! so I only have that occasionally, try and keep your carbs at about 50g/2oz, up your fat and try and keep to 800g. And most important keep posting, it helps especially when there’s a problem, you always get someone posting a helpful reply. Onwards and downwards, don’t loose heart.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62,
    Forgot to say, I was recommended on here to get fage full fat Greek yogurt, it’s got less carbs in and is better on this diet, it’s in a big round tub with the other yogurts, but not a tall tub,it’s more squat! If that makes sense?
    Hope that helps,
    Christine

• posted by JackieMac
    on

That yoghurt is by TOTAL who also make the 0% = don’t get that one! Container as Christine says is a large round one not the tall skinny one. Red white and pale blue. J

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hi Christine and thank you for your post. I find it really encouraging to know that you have also struggled with this, but have managed to keep going and succeed.
    I have taken on board the fat issue and had some very buttery scrambled eggs for lunch together with my 50g of smoked salmon, plus halfway through my second large glass of water. I guess you just have to keep going……..
    Thanks for yoghurt tip, Im using yeo valley at present, not sure how that compares carb wise but its the nicest ive found taste wise.

Keep posting your journey!!

Rachel

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Thanks Jackie and thanks also for the carb flu info. The link is indeed broken, however, I googled it and got some good info. As you and Bill advised, much more fat!! They even recommended chicken with skin! mmmm not sure how that will fit into 800 cals though……

Rachel

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Like Bill says don’t fret too much about calories keep off carbs and your body will adjust.

Also if you like curry try the kedgeree, I love it!

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Thanks Jackie, wont that slow the weight loss, going over 800 cals?
    Will try the kedgeree, it does sound nice.

Rachel

• posted by JackieMac
    on

I think most of the menus are around 800 but not exactly so 100 here or there should be ok. First thing you need is to feel better, then reduce calories again I would say. Please remember this is my opinion, I’m not an expert by any means. Some of the others will be better advisors as they have blood sugar issues so have a better understanding of it all. I know one lady is also a medical person of some sort and often gives great help.

Do what you feel is right. I think the most important thing is to keep at it. If you feel crap you are more likely to give up!

X

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Oh Jackie thank you! I will follow your advice and hopefully start to feel better soon. Please let me know how youre doing too?

X

• posted by lauren
    on

Sorry you’re finding this difficult at the moment, I hope some of the tips here make things a bit easier in the next few days. I agree with Bill that increasing fat really does make you feel fuller and more satisfied, which will make this eating plan much easier to stick to.

I really wouldn’t be disheartened about a 9lb loss in just over 2 weeks though, that’s a great start. Some of the people who you think are losing larger amounts may weigh more than you to begin with, so they have a bigger calorie deficit when they reduce intake to 800 calories and would be expected to lose faster.

Stick with it, I’m sure you’ll soon find a way to make this work for you 🙂

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Thank you Lauren, its great that there’s so much support on here, how have things been going for you?

Rachel

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi jackiemac,
    That web sight is really good, I have put it on my favourites.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62,
    Good to hear you are carrying on, keep up the good work, and don’t forget there is always support on this forum, so keep posting your successes and even failures!
    Christine

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Glad it’s useful Christine!

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Strangely I needed this,one pound ON this week.
    After losing one and a half stone in three weeks,Yes a lot I know,I became complacent and last weekend had a Donna kebab ,one bar chocolate and two glasses white wine
    During week a further three glasses of wine,naughty boy
    Needed a kick up the proverbial !
    Back on track now folks
    Alan ……watch this space 😋

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Good morning everyone

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped me yesterday, your support and advice meant so much and pulled me back from the brink of throwing in the towel.

Thank you again,

Rachel xx

• posted by JackieMac
    on

You are most welcome Rachel, so glad to have helped you 😀 I’ve stayed off the latte and toast this morning so you’ve helped me too 😉

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hi Jackie
    Latte and toast????oooh you naughty girl, but I so empathise with you, toast is my big thing too. No, Im lying, ALL carbs are my big thing, but having read your reply I dont feel too bad about the bottle of red I drank on my wedding anniversary, or the subsequent 5 sml g&t’s (I did count in the cals lol)
    So glad to have helped you, albeit inadvertently :))))) let me know how you’re doing

Rachel

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hi Christine

Thank you :)) How are you getting on?

Rachel

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Himalan
    Oh dear, we all have times when we fall off the diet, good to hear you are back on the straight and narrow now.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62,
    Good to hear you are keeping on keeping on, well done, onwards and downwards!
    Christine

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Eh Rachel, you don’t know the half of it 😈😈. I’ll let you know how I get on when I’m back on track! 😎

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Oh Jackie, you sound like such a woman after my own heart :)))) Good luck and keep me posted, even if its just to tell me how naughty you’ve been!!! Good luck!

R xx

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi jackie62,
    I am on track to my second stone lost ( only 1lb 6oz to go)! then I have to decide on my next target, I’m hoping it will happen over the next couple of days, I have my ups and downs however I try and keep positive! Keep us posted with your losses and trials too.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi jackiemac,
    Oh Jackie, have you been naughty? We all have those times don’t we, you can do it must get back on the horse, and keep on keeping on! I look forward to hearing about your progress and especially your weight loss!
    How much more do you want to lose? Onwards and downwards
    Christine

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Alanhypno,
    How are you going today? The great thing about your post is that you got back on track. It’s a great example to any BSDers that are in that situation.One and a half stone loss in three weeks is impressive – let’s focus on that. Best wishes.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Rachel & Christine – yes have not been motivated for a few months. I need to get myself together. I am pleased that my weight was not increasing although I put a pound on last week. Off on holiday soon and will be doing our own cooking most of the time so should be able to be good. Exercise will increase and I’m pretty sure that will get me started again. Won’t have my scales with me but I’ll find a way to weigh 😊

Keeping in touch via this forum definitely helps. Lots of people doing fantastically well and drastically improving their health which is the main thing.

Keep up the great work x

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Week six started ,already !
    Lost a sone and half in first three weeks,fourth week put few pounds on ,fifth week lost the few pounds ,back to same as week three now !
    Three weeks to end of the eight can’t see me losing lots in that time so will carry on regardless.
    Would love to crack over two stone loss barrier.😱

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Alan,
    Maybe a quick review of what you are eating and your exercise prior to starting the last few weeks? I did that every couple of weeks and tweaked what I was doing as I went through. Check your carb intake – especially any foods you ‘assumed’ were good. If you can, up the steps a little each day.
    You have already achieved a lot – 1.5 stone off and reduction in your meds, so don’t be too hard on yourself – celebrate what you have achieved as you go forward.

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Is there anyone out there who is as completely and utterly fed up and miserable as I feel?
    Almost into week 5, Ive only lost 10lb, nothing whatsoever for the last 2 weeks, no inches at all, I cant sleep, Im dizzy and SOOO ANGRY. I have zero energy and my depression is back with a vengeance, so much so that I actually contemplated ringing the Samaritans twice this wee for the first time ever!!!. I just cant see the point of feeling so tired, hungry, deprived and ill when there are no benefits and no results.
    Where is this amazing weight loss and feeling of wellbeing which is mentioned so much throughout the book?
    Im at the end of my tether :(((((((

Rachel

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m sure others with more experience than me will come along shortly, but my main concern here is your mental health. I’ve also suffered (currently on anti-d’s) so I know how hard it can be and my opinion is that your mental health needs to be your priority. If you have felt as down as that then I think a visit to your doctor is needed (please please go).

As for the diet side, 10 pounds is a great loss. I know you are disheartened but there are many many stories about people just like you (and me) who have slow/stopped losses that restart again in a few weeks allowing them to lose much more. I’m on week 5 as well, and I’m not far ahead (12 lb’s lost) in fact you say almost into week 5, at the end of week 4 I was only at 11, so only 1 lb different to you.

In the BSD book, He does suggest around 4 weeks in to consider if the 8 week diet is right for you as it doesn’t necessarily suit everyone. During this period where you are not feeling well maybe it isn’t right for you but only you can decide that. It might suit you better to go on the 5:2 for a while until you feel a little better? It would be more constructive and more healthy to allow yourself to eat more of the right foods, rather than giving up altogether.

I wish you all the best and if you need help with your depression I really hope you get it. I think it’s great you have mentioned it and recognise it, too many people won’t speak about it, and it doesn’t help. In my opinion mental health needs to be more openly discussed.

• posted by Frog
    on

I had porridge yesterday (day 3) and thought it was fine.
    A nutritionist that I used to see a few years ago recommended soaking the oats overnight – I’ve forgotten what she said it releases by making it that way, but any surplus water is more like oat milk, and you really don’t need to add any milk or sugar/sweetner.
    I used 30g of jumbo oats, and had it with rhubarb compote – the porridge was 110 cal/16.8 carbs, + 11 cal for the rhubarb, which seemed pretty good. I’m aiming to be under 50g of carbs a day, so it was 1/3 of my carb target, but I was well within that across the day.

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Izzy thank you for your reply (so sorry to be moaning) am currently on a waiting list for some talking therapy as am unable to take meds due to the side effects. Current doc is totally unsympathetic hence me not contacting her, but I agree, mental health does need to be discussed because so many people suffer and suffer in silence, thinking its a taboo subject.

I think you may be right about doing 5.2 for a while, I just know I will feel such a failure if I give up before the 8 weeks is up.

I wish you all the best too, both with the diet and your depression, I do hope that you will be able to come off meds soon, you sound very positive and lovely

• posted by orchid
    on

Rachel, I agree with Izzy, your mental health needs to be your first concern – she has given you good advise.
    In terms of BSD, the expectation is that you can lose between 10 and 20% of your starting bodyweight at the end of the 8 weeks period. That will vary person to person, especially how overweight you are to start with and your age – older people need few calories to start with so will be at the lower end of the scale.
    To help me keep my expectations in check, I took 10% of my starting weight and divided that by 8 – that was the lower end of the expected weekly loss. I repeated with 20% and then checked my weekly loss against the expectations. I ended up losing 12% of my starting weight.
    If you have already lost 10lb, then that is 2.5lbs a week and you can probably expect to lost 20lbs over the 8 weeks if that carries on. That is a very good weight loss – well done!
    People do get ratty and fed-up at varying times, but given you talk about depression, not just being fed-up the please take Izzy’s advise. There are other options that you can follow as Izzy describes – 5:2 may work better for you. You can retry the BSD800 at a later point in time.
    Take care.

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Thank you Orchid, much appreciated. Im guessing you have completed the 8 weeks, are you continuing?

• posted by Izzy
    on

You are not a failure just for choosing a different option. 8 weeks is a guideline that works for many but it isn’t something that needs to be seen as the only target.

Some people choose the 5:2 from the beginning, they are not failures (I know you didn’t say they were, just trying to help you see) they just made a different choice. You can choose whatever you think will work best for you, and you know what? it is ok to change your mind, and try a different choice.

Could you ask to see a different Doctor?

Don’t be afraid to call the Samaritans if you need to, they won’t trivialise your call. They know even the smallest things can feel huge sometimes.

It can be expensive but if you have the funds you could have counselling privately. My husband and I have had great help from a local CBT counsellor but we did have to pay for it. We were broke because of it for a long time but it helped us both a lot. Even if you could afford one session per month or every 6 weeks it might be enough to help you along.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Hey Rachel so sorry to hear you’re not feeling great. Depression is awful. Been there too. I hope you start feeling better soon. I’m interested in whether you found losing weighteasy using other methods? I know I had great success years ago on another plan, lost 4.5 stones but then put 5 back on and when I tried to lose it using same method failed abysmally. So although my weight loss on this plan has really averaged to around 2lbs per week at least I have lost weight and getting some off has made me feel better within myself. Note that eating meals from the plan, not doing much walking at all I was staying the same, so my metabolism is obviously poor. If I do 5 miles eating from plan I lose weight so exercise needs to be a consideration although some folks not able.

So regarding the weight loss – can you let us know what exactly you are eating and what exercise you are doing? That way folks who are well versed can offer advice.

Keep well and in touch. I’m on holiday and don’t have great internet access but I will try to keep up with your progress.

Hugs

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62,
    Never ever think that you are a failure, you are certainly not! Everyone has different experiences whatever they are doing, you are just having a harder time on the ‘diet’ than most of us.
    I agree with your other forum buddies, look at what you are eating, perhaps do the 5-2 for a while, and please please go and see any doctor about your depression, I ‘speak’ as one who has been to the edge looked over and struggled back from the brink, it is an illness, not something to be ashamed of, think of it as your body being out of kilter with your brain, it just needs re-balancing, and that can only help with medication. I have spent a good many years hiding the fact that I was desperately ill with my ‘nerves’ and putting on a face as I went through my front door.
    Just remember Rachel you have a whole forum of people here to help you through the fog, some are better qualified than me to help you with the diet side of things, read and take their advice, it will help, you will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope you get the help you need and soon! All the best
    Christine

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Rachel,
    I carried on for another 2 weeks over the 8 weeks then I was travelling and holiday and I tried to just make the best choices I could. When I got back I had put on a little – I expected gut-fill increase – but my waist was the same.
    Everything is a bit chaotic at home just now – I do well with my food when I am organised, but not when I am in disorganised mode. There is nothing in the middle 🙁
    I intend to restart late next week and have been plotting how best to tackle the next phase. I lost 60% of my target, but 40% to go. I suspect given I have had a break, I will go back onto the 800 for 4 weeks then increase the food intake slowly moving to the 5:2 and keep on that till I reach my goal. I did try the 5:2 a few years ago, but with travel at work being totally unpredictable, finding 2 days a week to ‘fast’ was too hard. I have also been considering doing 4:3 with the 3 days being 3 of 800 cals. The 800 cals is more realistic for the fast days and I know I can easily do that now!
    At different times in our life, we need different approaches. I could not manage the 5:2 before, but hopefully can now. The great thing about this whole approach is covers a lot of different ways of achieving the long term goals, at different rates depending to each persons circumstances.
    There is no such thing as failure in this – only wrong time, wrong place etc.
    Look at the options described on the website and or in the book and see if you can see one that would help you in the short term, so that as you have time to make other changes with doctors etc. You can them try a different approach for a while and see how that works.
    As Jackie says – feel free to post your food and exercise if you want us to help – set up your own blog as others have done and we can all support you as best we can.
    You are incredibly brave speaking out in the first place – keep on doing that!

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear that you have been going through such a hard time this week. There is no failure here… though depression can whisper negative untrue comments into our ears!!
    Be gentle with yourself…you have done so well up to now.

I am part way through week 5, my weight loss stalled two weeks ago…despite taking great care over my food choices, watching carbs and calories…I even put on couple pounds this week!
    The way I am choosing to approach this setback is to decide that I have plenty of time to lose this weight – I certainly took years putting on the extra pounds – so it’s not a problem if it takes a little time to for me to lose that weight. We are all different and some people take longer, or a different route, to reach their goals.

I understand how difficult it can be living with depression…remember the Samaritans are there whenever you need someone to talk to….you don’t need to wait till you are feeling desperate. Please also go back to see your GP – they may be able to speed up the referral for talking therapy.

In the meantime, we BSDers are here for support and encouragement. Stay strong.

Hugs

Imogen.x

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Hey Rachel, hope you are feeling better been thinking about you! I’m in sunny Las Vegas and not been sticking to the plan. Had a few glasses of wine and a few things I shouldn’t have, but trying hard not to overdo it. I must say I can’t eat the large portions that I used to so that’s a good thing.

Take care.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62,
    How are you Doing? Hope you are ok.
    Christine

Please log in or register to post a reply.