First day on the diet ,here I gooooo

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Alan the morning readings will be erratic due to the dawn phenomonen which won’t be combated in a week.
    Your body will need a chance to repair itself and get rid of all the glucoze stored in your organs before that happens.
    If I were you. I’d concentrate on your pre dinner readings and see how they go.
    Fasting readings can drive you insane if you let them.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks for reply re high morning but what’s pre meal readings I’ve been doing it two hours after a meal
    Thanks Alan

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Take the reading before you eat and then again 2 hours later, it gives a good idea of how your body is coping with food while the pre food reading shows how you are doing before eating. The difference between the 2 readings gives an insight into how your diabetes is performing.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Well I got a 7.1 two hours after my chicken salad tonight and managed easily on the 800 calories not hungry at all !
    Had boiled egg for breakfast ,subway full salad with chicken lunch as driving
    Not sure how this equates to recommended meals tho.
    Onward and upward
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

after being awake since 3am listening to my tummy rearrange itself shrinking feelings and talking to me (not hunger) I get up to a BS READING OF 7 wow,it’s been quite bit above this on fasting reading in past
    Only second week in too .
    Don’t care if it’s a blip I love it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Thanks again all on here for help so far
    Alan

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That’s great to hear, Alan! This diet really does work – and it is still early days for you! Wait to see your results by week 8!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alan, it’s so exciting to see those sugars coming down isn’t it?

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Amazed by this never hungry every diet I’ve tried I could eat my own arm after two days constantly thinking of food
    Weird stuff going on
    And Energy levels really high I’m buzzing
    I see the copy cats are already out there tho !
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Today I ate two eggs for breakfast !
    Before I’d eat a McDonald’s then gregs sausage sandwich and a bacon with sauces
    Before 10 am !!!
    Just having subway chicken salad bowl I’ve taken my own olive oil as they don’t have it
    Alan ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good going Alan ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Christinetoo
    on

Hello everybody – my journey on the 8 week BSD started last week after my very good friend told me that she had managed to lose 14lbs in two weeks on this plan – not necessarily for weight loss only but to get a handle on healthy sugar intake too. Dont know what started me off but about nine weeks ago I became “aware” of the amount of sugar in so-called diet/healthy products and was absolutely astonished when I compared them to the daily recommended amount of 25-30 grammes. I started a simple sugar awareness plan of my own and lost 7lbs but after speaking to my friend I have now started the official 8 week BSD to see if I can chip away at more of the stubborn weight that seems to have stuck to me over the years! Here I gooooooo

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Good luck Christine, delighted to have you on board!

• posted by Christinetoo
    on

Thank you FiFiP – Ive had a home-made luscious parsnip, leek and lemon soup for my lunch and snacking on my tub of Total Greek yogurt and berries. I am a bit of a foodie, love cooking and really looking forward to messing about with recipes to make them fit into the plan. Cod loin with chilli prawns and lots of veggies for dinner – yumm! How long have you been on the plan? Has it been particularly successful for you? I am in work at the mom so may not be able to reply until later but interested to hear of your experience.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

I’m a bit of a foodie too Christine! Not diabetic, but carrying serious amount of blubber around my middle….it’s not cake, biscuits or sweets which are my downfall, it’s social drinking.

I am adapting Hairy Dieters recipes along with several other favourites to give me a wider range of recipes to chose from and have been using several of the recipes on this site.

Weekends have been the biggest issue, so during the week, if I have been OTT at weekends, I tend to be very, very rigid with the diet, often just eating twice a day.

Have lost 21lbs, hit a bit of a plateau, but not over-worried, I WILL lose the next 1+ 1/2st, once I get my steps up and start cycling now the weather is nicer.

Am enjoying the foods and the shift in my body shape, have dropped 2 dress sizes and the local charity shop has benefited from all my big trousers : )

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Christinetoo, welcome aboard the good ship BSD!!! Everyone who has stuck to the plan of low carbs high fat and 800 calories has had fantastic success!! Look at captainlynne!! Her results are amazing!! So are Bill1954s!
    I love parsnips too, especially curried parsnip and apple soup but as parsnips are a starchy, carby veg it will be better to go without them for the 8 weeks of this diet. That way you will have greater success. Then slowly reintroduce them when the 8 weeks are over.

Bon voyage! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hello everybody
    Day 1 for me too, felt a bit odd to begin with and have discovered I absolutely do not like pomegranates……. and definitely missing my morning cuppa, had a rhubarb and ginger teapig instead which didn’t really cut it.
    Was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in February which came as a total shock and was a follow on from starting bp meds in August, so action is definitely required to get this hideous weight off and hopefully get back to normal!!
    Did anyone else feel a bit peculiar (light headed, spacey etc) at the beginning?

Good luck to everyone on here, I have been reading your posts with interest and its great that there’s so much support for each other !! :)))
    Rachel x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Rachel, yes lots of people felt a bit light headed and spacey in the first few days! It soon passes! I still have tea or coffee with a small splash of milk each morning then switch to water – plain or sparkling. There are so many herbal teas you are bound to find one you do like. Perhaps you will feel better about it once you have had your morning cuppa? No sugar, of course!

Make sure you do drink between 2 and 3 litres of water a day in some form – your morning cuppa will count.

Don’t forget you need to eat FULL FAT on this diet so a nice greek yoghurt with a few seeds and berries is a lovely, easy breakfast!

Good luck and ask for help if you need it, there is always someone awake somewhere in the world to answer you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Welcome new folks! Good luck on your journey!

Rachel you can have a cuppa, wee bit milk no sugar ๐Ÿ˜Š you’ll get lots of support and friendly advice from the lovely people here!

• posted by Rachel62
    on

hi hashimoto
    Thank you so much for your reply, I think you are correct and will have a proper cup of tea tomorrow. Am having water – a complete change for me, keep thinking about the glass of wine I cant have lol!!
    How are you finding it so far?

Rachel x

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Thank you JackieMac!
    Good luck on your journey too!!
    Rachel x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Rachel, it has been a complete success for me. I am in week 13 because I will stick to this way of eating for life. I lost 2 stones 11 lbs and now weight 8st 12 lbs . My asthma has improved, my acid reflux has vanished, my general health is so much better and I have lots of energy. My friends tell me I am more like I was 10 years ago. So stick with it and watch your amazing results!!
    I am not alone in deciding this is the way of eating for life! so many of us have reaped the benefits!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Such fantastic results Hashimoto, so happy for you!

Have made the decision it’s for life too, if I can stick to Med principles 5 days a week + just loosen up a bit on high days and holidays, then I shall be very happy.

Despite my current plateau, I have lost chins + at least 1 tummy. Result!!

• posted by Christinetoo
    on

Well nearing the end of the day – I have to b in bed by 10 otherwise there’s no shifting me for work in the morning and I’ve had a good day. …thankfully. Must try to drink the 2-3 litres of fluids as you seem to recommend, be telling porkies if I said I wasn’t hungry – there is a level but nothing too troublesome. Noted about parsnips thank u x

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Hashimoto you are also amazing – great results well done you!

• posted by Juliet
    on

Well, survived week 1 and lost 8lb in seven days. Already feeling more confident, happier and have a bit more energy, although truth be told by evening I’m really tired and have got a very fuzzy brain. I’ve tried playing with the times I eat and spreading the calories across the day… but there never seems to be enough calories! I notice Alan that you’re not feeling hungry and I think we started around the same time – any tips?! The cravings have definitely eased up but I’m still so hungry : ( However when I see how well everyone else is doing I feel it must be worth it to press on – Hashimoto, 2 stone 11lb, just amazing – well done. I know the first week is a bit on the dramatic side weight loss wise. What have people found the weight loss pans out at on average after the first week? I don’t want to be too optimistic!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi juliet, although you may experience some times when weight loss stalls it will only be temporary. Amazingly there is no overall slowing down when you stick to 800 calories.
    Are you eating enough fat? That’s what helps keep you feeling full. Also make sure you drink your 2 -3 litres of water a day ::

Great weight loss for week one! Keep on keeping on! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Does everyone measure their BS every single day ?
    I’ve been doing morning and two hours after meal every single day mainly as I like to see it fall !!!
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Re not feeling hungry and fuzziness I’m taking two litres water out during day but drinking at least another litre tea coffe etc on top no milk or sugar
    I’ve found two boiled eggs bit butter n pepper keep me going in morning and an apple to snack I’ve also taken pea nuts in shells which take so long to shell I don’t eat too many as small bad nuts is 600 calories
    Still not hungry which I can’t understand as I’m six foot well built , do not look fat at all but I know where it all is ha !!!
    Alan slog onwards and upwards

• posted by Embob
    on

Wow! Amazing reading about such great weight loss xx

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Right not pricking my fingers for couple days now !!!
    We don’t need to do it every day do we or must we ????????

Start again next week I think ,unless I feel weird etc
    Thank you folks
    Alan

• posted by Christi1948
    on

hi christine too
    Welcome to the bsd diet forum, I have found great support on the forum, everyone is very helpful when you come up against a problem, or a question, so good luck
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62
    I am over the eight week mark, however the first week was awful for me, I am a sugar addict and it took me a couple of weeks or “get into the swing “of things, you will perhaps feel a little light headed or have a headache, feel cold, however you will feel better soon, and lose weight too! That is the real bonus, the steady loses are really encouraging and you just want to carry on, the other benefits are that you wake up feeling great, your body changes shape, you have more energy, need I go on? It’s a life changer, so good luck at keep posting your progress
    Christine

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Anyone else stopped taking meds without seeing nurse or doc ? ?????๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
    BS gone down I’m getting around 6.7 fasting and 7.1 to 7.8 two hours after meals so don’t think I’m in any danger.

Strangely I found a nurses chart from five years ago with ave bs reading of 6.4 now if she had put me on this diet at the time ……..

Instead don’t drink eat healthy exercise nothing specific no diet plan just lots info to baffle n confuse

• posted by Juliet
    on

hashimoto – thankyou. I will try eating more fat. I have fallen into a bit of a rut with what I’m eating I suspect and it doesn’t include much fat…hmmm. Will also try and keep up the water thing and be a bit more strict about drinking regularly rather than when thirsty. Thanks for the tips, really appreciated : )

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Alan, don’t worry about your fasting BS level yet – mine started at 10.6 and am on metformin, this morning at 5.1!!!!! It took me 3 weeks before I saw a noticeable difference in this so don’t panic. I am qu

As of today I’ve lost 2 1/2 stone and that’s since the end of January – soo happy and excited. Still on 800 calories a day – ish – but this way of eating suits me really well – was out for lunch AND dinner yesterday and didn’t put on anything- just had starters – protein and salad – and wine (oops) – Keep going and you will see results! Good luck

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Juliet the medical advice is : if you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated!! So just try and ‘neck it’ whenever you can!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Tallyhoo
    Are you still on metformin ?

I’m on four a day 500 mg plus one xelevia /sitagliptine 100 mg

I stopped taking them both when I started this diet last week did not see nurse ,it’s come down in a week fasting now 6.7

Not sure if done right thing but wanted to measure it without the pills

Surely you must be off pills with those readings ? So low ,what’s qu ?

Sorry lots question second week ,pants falling down feeling great
    Alan, thanks for help.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Ha ha – pants falling down- at home I hope or all sorts of trouble!!! ‘I am qu’ is a typo can’t remember what I was going to say! No, went to see doctor a couple of weeks ago and they want to do my blood tests and see how I’ve been doing long term, currently on 1000 mg metformin in the evening plus a statin for cholesterol and tablet for high blood pressure – he did say may have to take me off the drugs – how good is that! I did have fleeting but many giddy moments which have now passed – I’m too scared to take myself off the drugs although my best mate ‘nurse debs’ did say at least halve the metformin – which I haven’t..

Also I have a pair of tract suit bottoms which keep slipping off – fun isn’t it!

Keep up the good work and I’ll try and remember what ‘qu’ was??!!

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Thats amazing hashimoto, congratulations!!! Will you continue with 800 cals a day now?

Rachel

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Rachel, I started slowly increasing my calories after week 8, I can now eat more than I could pre diet without putting on any weight. I am stable at 8st 12lbs and am happy with that – I noticed how skinny the tops of my legs were and have decided to stick at 8st 12lbs.

I still eat according to the principles of the BSD – i.e. no starchy or sugary foods. I still only eat berries or occasional apples/pears for fruit. I can’t imagine eating my daily banana again! Far too sickly sweet now! I am enjoying eating more nuts than I could on 800 calories and occasionally eat a whole avocado rather than half. I totally enjoy the food on this ‘diet’ and feel no need to change as I have felt so much better on it.

The fact that I can eat without putting weight on must mean this diet resets your body somehow. I am eating the number of calories for a 63 year old woman but before 1000 calories a day made me pile weight on!!

Good luck with your 8 weeks and beyond Rachel ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hi Christi1948

Thank you so much for your message, I think I must be the same as you re sugar, although it was more alcohol with me rather than cake, biscs etc. Im on day 3 now and feel truly dreadful, dizzy, lightheaded and absolutely ZERO energy :(((( AND, to top it all, I lost 1lb 10oz on day 1, but nothing yesterday!!! Did you lose much in the first few days? I thought, having read so many success stories and knowing how diets usually work, that there would be a spectacular weight loss to compensate for feeling like this. Please tell me it gets better as Im losing the will to live here………:((((

Rachel62 x

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hi hashimoto, it sounds as though you have had amazing success with this, Im so pleased for you :))) Did you follow the recipes / menu plans to the letter? I am finding that its quite wasteful as my husband works away during the week and it doesnt seem to take into account that there will be lots of ingredients which need using up!
    I just wondered if you had sourced alternatives. Im afraid my current brain fog is making me feel completely useless or I would be avidly searching.

Rachel62 x

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Rachel, my hubby is on the diet too, but also travels a lot. I have used recipes from the book, ones posted here + swapped ingredients to use them up as long as the calories etc were similar.

I have also got my freezer in overdrive!

I also adapt regular favourites to come in on plan!

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Wretched phone….. it isn’t going to be a diet – breaker if you ate the same things 2 meals or 2 days in a row to use them up!

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hi FiFiP
    Thank you for your message and advice. Are you on the diet too or just your Hubby? Hope its going well for you?
    Rachel

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Rachel, we both are, have lost a stone + 1/2 each! : )

• posted by Rachel62
    on

Hi FiFiP how long have you been on it?
    Rachel

• posted by FiFiP
    on

We have been on it for close to 7 weeks, however due to major lifestyle reasons we are doing it 5:2, with the 2 days adhering to the main principles, but cutting ourselves some slack; it’s for work related reasons – business entertaining mainly.

I know it will take longer for us to get where we need to be – we both are aiming for a further loss of 1.5st each, but this works for us.

I have found no issues with eating out, salmon tends to be the main course, cheese for afters, no bread, no biscuits, but wine does feature. That said we only drink 2 days a week now, have cut alcohol consumption down massively, which has to be good for us in many ways.

The diet is now a lifestyle choice for us, we will go Med completely when we get to our tgt weight.

Good luck!

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Day 13 not hungry or dizzy went for a two mile walk before lunch last night thought I may go faint etc
    Felt fine home to mackerel salad
    Still off my meds without permission to see how or if they drop over 8 weeks !
    First day today felt like a big meal so had subway salad bowl chicken ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Decided not to prick my fingers till next week then daily again ,never used to do this at all, should I do it every day ?
    Alan cheers folks

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rachel62
    Hang on in there, if you do it will be worth it trust me, I had big problems because of the sugar thing, it did go on for a bit, however it passed in time, it is hard but you have sooo much support on hear! I also have a couple of friends who are both diabetics, the husband has great trouble, he is so skinny and has problems putting weight on, however they are also so supportive, I can ring them for a moan, which I did the first few weeks, try drinking more fluids, NOT alcohol though! Get ahead with food buying and preparation, then you are less likely to eat forbidden food. Good luck and keep posting.Christine

Please log in or register to post a reply.