Egg Fast

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

@kafin13 come join me in my weekly fast! 😁
    I was just listening to some good podcast episodes in the obesity code podcast and according to the Fung & Ramos team the magic number is 3.
    Fast 3 times a week, whether consecutive or not, do whatever work with your lifestyle, the most important part is being consistant.
    I’ve chosen to try and do my 3 days consecutively because I work outside the house for 3 days and I find it much easier to fast when busy and away from a kitchen 😅
    This is my 3rd week and I’ve lost 1.5kg in my first week and 2kg in my 2nd.
    These are massive results for me. I’m usually a slow/average loser, ~700gr per week on average. The weight drops quickly during the fast then it stays stable for the 4 days where I eat MSD to satiety.
    Let’s see if this continues.
    I will be keen to try 3 days fasting on alternate days too, might be easier? So 3 times 24-42hrs.
    Anyway, you’ll find me in the fasting thread!!

Oh I’m probably going to do an egg fast in 2 weeks, I hope I can leverage your knowledge then 🤓

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kafin and any other slow losers
    I went looking for an article on fat decoupling by Dr Bikman last night, to provide as a link to someone else I was having a conversation with and I came across a podcast which I think will be helpful for the slow loosers. – Its not easy listening, its 2 phd level nutritional scientists having a conversation, but I think it will help those who are slow losers understand what is happening within their bodies. I have put a link up on the Take a look at this thread to the podcast.

on

Interestingly @jgwen I just finished listening to a podcast where Megan Ramos explain exactly that – the slow losers having really efficient bodies and low metabolism. She talks on how to reverse this and tackle that issue but it’s buried with lots of other info so maybe not that useful to share.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Louise, please do share the link to the podcast. – I think this is a topic that a few people on the forum would appreciate links to.

on

It was on one of the episode of the Obesity Code – I think Yo Yo Dieting one.
    I’ve listened to 5-6 of them today so they all blur together 😅 will try and find it

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Kafin

I am interested in fasting. I do 16:8 on week days. I have the Jason Fung intermittent fasting book which I love! I’ve done a couple of 42 hour fasts and could have gone on longer but was afraid that it was a game I could have played and won so I packed in after 42 hours. The first 24 hours were the hardest. I didn’t lose a lot of weight fasting but like it because it makes me feel free, no thinking about food and I know is good for my body. It took me 11 months to lose 42 lbs in 2017. Slow and steady. The lesson I took was not to compare my loss to others. When I first started BSD a lot of people who started with me got to their goal a lot quicker and it made me feel envious and wondered what I was doing wrong. We are all different. Medication may have an affect on weight loss. Just keep positive Kafin and believe that it will work and like me, keep plodding slowly and steadily to your goal weight: I hope you don’t mind me asking but have you got a lot of weight to lose to get to goal? I currently am trying to lose 20 lb and am hoping to be there by end of November. Am envisaging myself looking slim at the office Christmas party!!! Keep plodding Kafin!
    We can be the tortoises in the race.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks, Cathy – I really appreciate this message and you describe many of the feelings I’m having! I don’t like feeling envious of people especially those that I care about but it is frustrating to be doing everything right and not seeing the same progress. I currently do 16:8 and have fasted a lot in the past on a different program but I was much busier then and not working from home so I found it easier.
    42 hours is impressive! And yes I’ve read that you don’t lose much on fasts per se but maybe the accumulation of them over time is what shifts the hump! At least in my unicorn 🦄 science head, that’s how it works!!
    In 2015, I lost 50lbs in 4 months but I was eating only about 200 cals and then binging on the weekend so it wasn’t healthy. And as soon as I hit my goal, I just started eating again, so obviously wasn’t sustainable. As much as I want to lose the weight, I know that’s not practical or healthy.
    No, I don’t mind you asking! I’m 5ft5 (and a bit) and I’m currently 176lbs. I’d like to get to 135 but 145 would be great and probably makes me look healthier. I’m pretty evenly fluffy (prefer that to fat) all over so a lot of people have commented that I don’t look my weight. But I feel it and just want to get to a more comfortable place and not just for aesthetic purposes.
    I would love to lose it all by November too but I just end up disappointed when I don’t hit my targets so will just focus on sticking to plan and making adjustments as I go along. I feel like like within the parameters of this WOE, we all need to figure out the adjustments for our individual selves and that can be tricky.
    Let me know if you start an extended fast and job permitting, I’ll join in and we can support each other! 🐢 🐢

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks JGwen – I appreciate you looking out for me and others struggling with slow or no loss. Will set aside some time to really pay attention!
    Hi Louise – Thanks, I may join you, just depends on work schedule at the moment 😊

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Kafin, my fellow tortoise, I am aiming to get to 133 lbs which takes me to the top of a healthy BMI. I am 5’1 and currently weigh 151 lb. we can definitely plod together over the next few months. I’ve found maintenance as difficult as losing weight And although I maintained my weight for over a year, this year I’ve struggled and hence am determined to get back to goal. There are some old friends who started with me in 2017 on the August thread, dreamscometrue and SueBlue and we have been plodding together for two and a half years, supporting each other and I couldn’t have got to goal without the support and encouragement of the people on the forum. One of the things I realised when I got to goal weight was that it doesn’t matter how long it takes. There are some really supportive people on the August thread and I believe that by encouraging each other and staying focused we will get to where we want to be. We have to keep positive, keep low carb and keep plodding together. See you over on the August thread. I am on day 3 tomorrow………. 🐢🐢(me and you).

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Just popping in to say that after finishing the EF, both Elky and I have experienced, high jumps in our breathalyzer. During the EF this time, mine was pretty consistently low, around 0.3/04 (with one very short-lived 0.8). Normally doing the regular WOE, it’s about 0.5. Since I finished (and I didn’t do the transition like they recommend because I didn’t lose anything so basically got miffed and said to hell with it!), it’s been 0.6/0.7 consistently with no drops. The first time around, it was pretty high the whole time. I have no explanation other than 🦄 science and Harry Potter magic but just thought I’d share 😊

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

That’s very interesting Kafin and Elky! Fascinating how the egg fast plays out over time.
    And I laugh every time I see your 🦄 unicorn science comment Kafin, it’s a perfect description of processes so complex even scientists don’t get it all! I read a article from a scientific metabolism journal yesterday about thyroid and insulin and the authors were as mystified as me, although mine was because I didn’t understand 99/100ths of the article and theirs was because it was new information!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Julia – 🦄 science is very apt isn’t it!! I start reading one thing and then end up down a rabbit hole on a bunch of other things, none of which I entirely understand. And I’m terrible about watching videos or listening to podcasts, would much rather read as I seem to retain it better. I got about four minutes in the Bikman one that JGwen posted and realized that after they introduced themselves, all I could remember was the shopping list I’d composed in my head!!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I’m just posting here because I like this thread and all my eggy friends! Elky, I know we chat most days but hi! Allie, Kazz, Birdy, Wendy – my other EF partners, how are you all doing? My breathalyzer has continued to be elevated since the EF which was over a week ago, so I’m pleased with that and even though it didn’t work weight wise for me, I’m reconsidering my “no stupid EF for me ever again” (NSEFFMEA – for Cathy. I know you’re good but that one would’ve been stretching it 🤩) position. If my breathalyzer drops again, maybe it would be a good 🦄🦄 experiment to see if just a couple of EF days bring it back up.
    Right, I have managed to beg a brand new laptop from a company for my foster kid that I advocate for so am excited to give it to her today! Have a good day everyone 🥚🥚🥚

• posted by Elky
    on

Hello to all in the Egg Fast Clubhouse!

I am having exactly the same experience with my breathalyser as Kafin is with hers. The numbers are so consistently high that I wondered if it was broken, but it did drop briefly after dinner last night. And I changed the batteries just to be safe! (I know the cheap little breathalysers are not super accurate, but I do think they provide a bit of a guideline.) All I can think of is that the EF, followed by being super careful to stick below 20g of carbs each day, has pushed me deeply into ketosis. I have not had this experience just by staying below 20g, it seems that the EF is an important ingredient.

Anyway, I am certainly inclined to do an EF again at some point, but then I didn’t get sick of eggs like most other people, so it’s probably easier for me to say that 🙂

Cheers, Elky

• posted by Billmag2
    on

I am doing the fast 800 diet but now realise I may be misreading the calories for one person. For example, on P174, the porridge recipe states the 4tbsp of porridge etc. equal 370cals and serves 2.Does this mean that I should be eating half of the porridge and if so does that equal 370 cals. or 185 calories??
    Please someone clarify this for me. Thanks so much.
    Bill

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Bill – the Fast 800 book is actually a bit off on the calorie count and so most of us choose to use an app to count our carbs etc. I’m not sure where you’re located, I’m in the US and I use Calorie King but I think a lot of people use MyFitness Pal. Are you able to download one of those and input the amounts? In the book it states on page 169 that’s all calorie counts are per portion. For the record, 370 for those ingredients is estimating too low. I wouldn’t rely on the calorie counts in the book. I hope that helps 😊

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have decided that my listless approach to ridding myself of the extra pounds gained whilst away in Turkey needs a serious shake up and that the Egg Fast might just be what is needed to really get things shifting in the right direction/ So, I have decided to get focused and start an egg fast tomorrow. My plan is to doing it for three or four days – depending on how great the inevitable pressure is from OH and how long I can hold out against it!

As someone who discards very slowly, I’d be happy with a downward shift of 2 or 3lb, as this would bring me to within reasonable hitting distance of my target weigh and within hope of getting under it, before we go off to India on 19th Sept. Will report on how things go, but meanwhile, any advice would be appreciated.

on

Hey SunnyB, I’m starting one today too, to kick off the extra weight from my holiday. I plan on doing it for 3 days then move onto a water fast, maybe. Let’s see how it feels! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.