Hi – Elky and I are going to have a crack at this next week so I thought I would start a thread and include recipes and the “rules” that I’ve found. If anyone wants to join us, please do and obviously adapt it for yourselves, I’m going to try and stick as closely as possible because I really want to get over this hump.
It does recommend that you already be fat- adapted and eating low-carb so probably not good to jump into straight away.
What is an egg fast?
It’s a (short term) diet that consists of primarily eggs, cheese, and butter. For each egg you eat, you should eat a corresponding Tbsp of pure fat in the form of butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. You can also eat a corresponding Tbsp of full fat cheese per egg. Doing this will result in an extremely low carb, high fat, moderate protein intake that will kickstart your body into fat burning mode. (Not my words, I stole them).
It originated with this guy, Jimmy Moore who did it for a month and lost 27lbs. Sounds like more Harry Potter magic but worth a go! (my words – feel free to steal them). It seems the biggest issue is gaining the weight lost back when you finish the fast but can be managed by sticking with low-carb way of eating, which we’re all doing anyway (see below for transition).
There is no limit to the number of eggs and equal fats to consume. Just keep it within reason. Many people eat more than a dozen a day. Do not count macros or calories! Fat is approximately 85% during egg fast.
Ok, these are the very strict rules:
1. Eggs are the primary source of protein for 3-5 days
2. 1 tablespoon of fat per egg. Choose from butter, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, MCT oil, mayonnaise
3. Fit the egg fast to your eating schedule – intermittent fasting is fine
4. Don’t get too hungry, you can eat an egg/fat
5. Don’t eat if you are not hungry, wait a while and eat later
6. Hard cheese and cream cheese are optional and not counted towards daily fats. Max 4oz daily
7. Eat minimum of six eggs daily (no maximum within reason) to ensure adequate protein
8. Get the best quality eggs and butter that you can afford but do not FRET about this
9. Try not to eat within 3 hours of bedtime
10. Limit your sweeteners to 3 servings per day (I don’t think we do this since we all know they can push your insulin up but up to you!)
11. Coffee and unsweetened tea re fine
12. Use spices, herbs and hot sauces sparingly
13. If the food is not listed here, it is not on the Egg Fast!
The most effective way to transition back to lchf with minimal weight gain is to transition slowly over the course of a week or so. First add a protein to one of your meals for a day or so. Then add a protein to two of your meals for a day or so. Then you can try to add 1/2c. veggies to one meal and so on until you’re back to your normal lchf lifestyle.
Feel free to add recipes!