Egg Fast

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi Merry

Oooh yes, I always enjoy my cloud bread 😊

I set my breathalyser to %.BAC—I have no idea why I fixated on that unit of measurement, but I did. This seems to give me directly comparable results with Kafin’s, so I think her 0.8 is the same as my 0.8.

I usually sit between about 0.3 and 0.5—I have not worked out what makes the numbers move within this range, it seems to be completely independent of what and when I eat. During an Egg Fast they start to rise a bit, sitting around 0.7 to 0.9, but then they seem to get super high a few days after the EF. I just checked (I’m such a nerd I keep a note of the numbers) and a few days after the last EF I got as high as 1.99. The numbers stuck there for a few days, I actually thought the breathalyser might be broken, then they started to fall and gradually came down to my usual range.

I agree with Kafin, I don’t know how to stay at those high levels longer term and still follow a sustainable eating plan. But people seem to do it, especially those who are using ketosis to manage really serious medical matters. Maybe I’ll learn more with further experimentation. But that said, for me getting high numbers isn’t that important—it’s not a medical issue or anything—I just find it interesting.

Hope this helps, Elky

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Elky, As I understand it the breathalyser is reading the byproduct of burning ketones.
    So when you go on a fat fast and cut down on carbs so your body has to switch over to maximum ketosis your levels will go up, and your levels will be effected by levels of activity as well as food.

• posted by Elky
    on

Thanks JGwen, I had not realised that my level of activity might be making a difference too!! That may be the missing ingredient in terms of making sense of what seem to me to be random changes in numbers. It’s certainly not from actual exercise (that’s still on my “to do” list, alas 😊 ) but like anyone on some days I just do more running around than on other days, or do more physical work in the garden or something. I clearly need to start keeping a closer track of that to make sense of this. Oooh good, another little project 😊

I am also intrigued by how *super* low in carbs I have to go to get into the high numbers. As you say, JGwen, it only happens on a fat fast where there are effectively no carbs at all. And yet I’ve seen others who stay at those levels all the time, I don’t know how they do it. Maybe exercise is the missing ingredient – what a frightening thought LOL

Thanks again, Elky

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Elky,
    I have to run around with work commitments today, and I don’t want to end up cross posting, but the under 20g, and how exercise effects readings on breathalyser and how to get body more adapted to burning fat is an issue that has been percolating through my brain for a few months, and I would be happy to chat about that on the new Keto thread with you because I think its relevant to a number of us.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Good morning/evening fellow egg fasters.
    Having had a very confused week regarding keto, IF, OMAD and BSD and (I’m ashamed to say) a huge fall off the low carb wagon over the weekend I intend to do round 4 of the egg fast starting tomorrow.
    If nothing else it may reset my body and hopefully I will slip back into using fat fairly quickly. After a day eating very low carbs I don’t feel hungry which I think means I am back in ketosis.
    I will contain to use the breathalyser and am also starting to use the pee sticks, though I will be surprised if I even turn pale pink – when I lost weight in the dim and distant past using “those shakes and bars” I was the only person in the group who didn’t show ketosis in urine.
    Have a good week one and all
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m joining you this week, BusyBee. My weekend suffered from ‘wine creep’, so last week’s progress was effectively squandered and I’m fast running out of time to make any real headway before our trip away starting a week on Thursday. Like you, I’m hoping to be able to kick start something of a reset and achieve a decent maintainable discard.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Good to have some company SunnyB.
    I intend to do egg fast for three days and then transition Friday over to Saturday – how about you?
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi BusyBee – I’m aiming for four days, with transition over Friday and Saturday. Started today – scrambled eggs on a piece of cloud bread with butter and marmite at about 11.30 and then a two egg cheese omelette at around 15.00. Not sure yet what I’ll have when I feed OH, but probably fried eggs on cloud bread. If you have any dish ideas, I’d love to hear them.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I tend to keep things simple but do like a fried egg cloud sandwich or pancake with a little lemon essence served with mascarpone cheese!
    My favourite first transition dinner is Tamago Yaki with garlic prawns and a couple of asparagus cooked in butter – delicious!
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Looks like I’m going to have to transition from Thursday evening, as OH has invited a friend to dine with us that evening. Things are going okay at the moment – scrambled eggs with a little truffle mixed through.
    I’m thinking I might be able to wedge in another three day stint next week, given that things will have been cut shorter than I’d planned.
    How are you getting on BusyBee?

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi SunnyB

I must admit I am finding today hard – I think that when I did the EF before, I was eating very low carb and already in mild ketosis. This time my body has to deal with 2 days of nasty carbs plus rather a lot of G and T’s over the weekend and I feel tired and miserable.
    Never mind, I will persevere and carry on for the three days and hopefully will feel a little better tomorrow.
    I had fried egg fried in butter in a Cloud Roll for lunch and Lemon pancakes are on the menu tonight, which I always enjoy.
    Thanks for keeping in touch – it does help when you have a partner in crime,
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you’ll have a bit of a rough ride on the EF this time, BusyBee, but well done on your determination to ride it out. Lemon pancakes sound good – how do you make them?
    I was out with my grandson earlier, so offered him lunch at a Wetherspoons, because there weren’t really any other options which would offer anything he would want to eat. I was resigned to just having soda water, but found grilled halloumi on the menu and added two fried eggs to that for an egg fast friendly lunch – filling and cheap too.
    Keep going BusyBee, I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi SunnyB
    How are doing? It seems as if you are on a roll and your lunch sounds delicious – I will remember that one!

I feel much better today and glad to report two pounds down and ketosis up to 0.5 which is high for me!
    I think I must slip back into fat burning fairly well on the EF in spite of ruining my metabolic rate in the past, as I have no hunger and generally feel well.
    As I’ve said before, each EF has felt different and has given different results so I wait with interest to see how this one goes.
    KOEFing X B

• posted by Busybee
    on

Oh sorry, I forgot you asked for the lemon pancake recipe.
    Kafin13 posted this one when the topic started.

2 or three eggs
    2 or three ozs mascarpone
    2 or three table spoons of butter (or other fats)
    Lemon essence to taste or can use vanilla and cinnamon
    A little sweetener if you wish (I do)

Beat the eggs with half of the mascarpone, essence and sweetener
    Cook the pancake mix in the butter
    Serve with the rest of the mascarpone and a dribble more lemon essence on top.
    Enjoy.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sounds like things are going well, BusyBee. Glad you are feeling better today. My reading was 0.5 yesterday but only 0.2 today and I have no idea why. However I’m still in ketosis and I’m down by 1.6lb on the EF, so I’ll just accept it. Still not back to where I was before the w/e, but heading in the right direction.

Didn’t ‘break-fast’ until 15.00 today, this time it was scrambled egg with mayo abd a little chilli whisked in and some parmesan grated on top. No idea what to have for dinner yet.

Keep going Busy, I’m confident we can made this count.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how do you eat the recommended amount if eggs and fats if you don’t eat until 3pm?

Although I eat twice a day normally (16-8), I have been having bulletproof coffee in the morning and then eat lunch, a little snack of cheese and then dinner! Do you think I am eating too much?
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I confess with difficulty! I was late eating today due to being out with my grandson this morning. Normally I have something around 13.30 to 14.00.

Anyway, today I had 3 eggs scrambled and cooked with butter and topped with parmesan. Then this evening it was a two egg pancake as per the recipe you supplied and I had a pickled egg while that was cooking. Think I might be a little short on fat today, but I’m done – completely full.

Normally I’d go for 3 eggs and requisit fat for two meals, making up the 6 egg minimum. How anyone manages more than 6 eggs a day is a mystery to me as I find 6 more than adequate.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Just had to pop in to say this morning I have lost another pound, hit 0.9 on the breathalyser and pale pink on the pee stick both unheard of for me!!!!!!
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So envious BusyBee!! The scales were static for me this morning and my reading was a modest 0.3. Only have until this evening, as we are entertaining tonight – will keep it BSD friendly but think it might cause a blip fir tomorrow nonetheless.
    OH wants to eat out tomorrow night, so again not ideal, but plan to get back to something much more stringent again from Saturday and maybe a couple of days EF early next week, before we go off to India on Thursday.
    Anyway a huge well done Busy – you’re absolutely flying!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you SunnyB
    I’m sorry your EF hasn’t been quite the success you hoped for – as I’ve said before, each time I have done it I have had very different results.
    I can’t quite believe it and wait to see how thing go over the weekend. We are out on Saturday night but I will drive and stick to low carb. Sunday, well I will probably have a couple of G and T’s just to check how it affects ketosis!,!!!!
    I think I will try another next week too.
    Enjoy your evening and weekend.
    X B

• posted by Busybee
    on

Here I go again! I am starting round 5 of the egg fast today and the aim is to lose another two pounds before we go away in 9 days.
    Today I weigh 5 pounds less than I did last Tuesday and a stone less than I was in July. ( I hasten to add that I still have another 3.5 stones to discard in the long term).
    The three day challenges and recording of the eggs and fats seem to suit me and I actually enjoy using the breathalyser and pee sticks, which confirm I am in ketosis with results varying between 0.3 and 0.6 with the breathalyser and small amounts of ketones in urine – once I actually showed moderate!!!!!!
    All in all the change is giving me renewed enthusiasm for low carb and acting to lose weight.
    X B

Please log in or register to post a reply.