EASTER IS DONE, MID-MAY HERE WE COME: 4 week challenge ending Tuesday May 16th.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Official challenge weigh in, exactly the same as yesterday on 10 stone 9.4 pounds. Tracked my first ‘free BSD’ day yesterday and had 2,200 calories, including 3.5 small glasses of wine. Thursday will be this week’s Fast day, and Saturday (at the moment) planned to be ‘anything goes’. Back to work today, and badminton tonight, so a good test of my new routine.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

So I’ve managed to go from 10st 8lbs (I think) last Tuesday to 10st 4lbs today. As mentioned previously I had a whoosh from somewhere of 3 lbs over night during the week but managed another lb over night. Reading all the inspiring stories of maintenance and losses. Thank you all.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

2lbs off and that’s me at my first target. Yay! ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
    It’s taken exactly seven months, started 4 October, to lose 4 stones and get my BS at a regular, largely Unmedicated 5.6.

Ideally I’d like another stone and a bit off, realistically I’m totally fed up with counting calories for now and have been working resolutely towards my goal partly to look better for the wedding in June, and mostly because I can let go of 800 cals. Maintenance experiences here are great, but it’s not really about food for me, it’s about the admin – lol – I’ve loathed the calorie counting and mean pernickityness (is that a word?) of 10 or 20 cals here or there – not my thing, that sort of close control, but giving up most carbs and keeping the rest under 50 is ok – want to make sure my T2 is under control – forever!

Upsides – more energy, less joint pain, head less foggy, fitter, exercise regime in place, readier to face the world
    Downsides – digestive problems still an issue, sleep hasn’t improved at all, still very cold, all the time

Will continue on 800 till end of this challenge, then it’s eating well and carb counting only for the summer together with BS measurement. Dress for family wedding in June looks great. Happy!!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Good luck on the scales, everyone.

Mkx

• posted by Verano
    on

So this week I have lost 5lbs, although some of that was the last of my ‘holiday weight’. Nonetheless, I’m happy, in fact, very happy, and at my lowest weight for a very long time. I actually can’t remember my goal for this challenge now as I’m so confused with ‘holiday weight, ‘pure fat’, ‘short, sharp, shocks’ and different weighing days!! So I’m setting a new goal for the next half of this challenge of 3.4lbs which will drop me nicely into the next stone. I’m sure I can manage that with a little concentration and hard work.

Good to see others losing well and we’re only half way through. Just have to keep on keeping on……

Krysia you are very fortunate to have a sympathetic ear. I think maybe your consultant is the exception rather than the rule but I do think that maybe the tide is starting to turn as the diabetes/low carb debate gets more attention. Let’s hope so!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done everyone, some impressive results.

I have lost 3lbs 8oz in the past week, so now 6lbs under target weight, plus another inch gone from my waist. One more week on BSD800 then the last week of the challenge will be a real test as it will be my first week of maintenance. Here’s hoping…….

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Two pounds off for me this week which I am happy about. It’s been hard work getting that two pounds off! Am still on target to do my challenge of 4lb this time. I am finishing my second round of eight weeks on Saturday and would love to lose 1.5 before then to make my total loss of two stone.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Everyone has done so well this week and indeed on this latest challenge.
    I am the one that got away as I have gained another half pound which means five pounds up on my lowest weight early April!
    I will keep as low carb as I can whilst we are away over the weekend and then back to it again!! I am a little weary
    of it all but can see that those who are unfortunate to have T2 do have an added incentive and determination to succeed – or am I making excuses for myself?
    X B

• posted by Verano
    on

No Busybee you aren’t making excuses. As you say for those of us with T2 there is definitely more incentive. Saying that there are times when I think ‘Oh to h… with it all, I’ll just keep taking the pills’!! So yes everybody gets disheartened at times. It may be a good idea to forget about all this for a time. Then, when you feel ready to start again, re-read the book and begin again. It could just be that this way of eating isn’t for you. I really don’t think it suits everybody and I also wonder about following such a low calorie way of eating for an extended period.

For myself, I think I’m with MK here …. at the end of this challenge I may just count carbs and in fact I think I may omit vegetables and some fruits from my calculations all together. I definitely need more fibre and, maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see a plate of cabbage or a few carrots doing me the same harm, BG wise, as a loaf of bread!!! Who knows, we are all experimenting and, as with most things, one model doesn’t fit all.

Just don’t beat yourself up!

on

Hi Busybee – I can’t remember whether you still have much left to lose? No disrespect to anyone here, but am not ever going to be the sort of person who frets and bothers about every 500g above BMI, life is literally too short. It’s about a weight for you where you feel good, healthy and it’s sustainable by eating within a few rules. But it’s got to be right for you!

Those of us with T2d or prediabetic are in the last chance saloon – but what’s your particular weak spot/downfall? If you’re not here for diabetes reversal, another plan might suit you better. If you’re a hungry bunny, try SW red plan – lots of choice, basically low carb and you can eat quite a bit – I lost a couple of stones in a couple of months – some days I ate a whole chicken for dinner, with green salad, and still lost weight every week and you can do it online rather than visiting classes, which I hate. Alcohol? The Drinking Woman’s Diet has worked for lots of my mates for whom life isn’t worth living without a glass in hand.

If you’re an Emotional/entitled eater. I cannot recommend a couple of sessions of hypnotherapy enough. Be honest about your problems, and they fix your actual BRAIN to make you see sense. A game changer for me after one session. What gets you nowhere is sitting and fretting. It’s doing that gets you there!

My old English teacher always used to say ‘if you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you always get’. Time for a rethink? Mkx

• posted by Marsie
    on

Busybee & Verano, Butterlover and I had exactly this discussion over a cuppa on Monday afternoon. Without in any way downplaying the difficulties faced by those with DT2, we don’t have the awful consequences that uncontrolled diabetes can bring and therefore some of the urgency may not be maintained.

For myself, I’m not and never have been, pre-or t2 diabetic. I did feel that my sugar intake was out of my control,weight was a few kg up on my usual overweight and I could see I was on a very slippery slope which I wanted to stop NOW. I’ve said elsewhere that I have a son with T1D and I did not want to have to tell him that my out of control eating had brought on T2. The BSD seemed to me a logical programme – as I read the book the science just rang all the bells for me. The main stopper I think has been the fact that I have relatively few kg to lose. You’d think, wouldn’t you, that it would be easier but, I don’t know, different imperitives?

I’m not feeling sorry for myself, mind, as my sugar binges have declined in both frequency and intensity. So I’ll just plug away and see what happens.

Busybee, I’m sorry it’s not going so well for you, but suggestions above from Mk and Verano may help. Whatever works, bb, whatever works and life is too short to stress unnecessarily. Good wishes to you xx

on

well said, Marsie. When it comes down to it the key imperative for 800 cals is to reverse diabetes. Those without that imperative may struggle because it just isn’t that easy and I think following it strictly if not T2 makes people a bit to obsessed. My prob with SW was the bl**dy Syns – they kept encouraging me to use them but I knew 2 Jaffa cakes would never be enough! It’s all or nothing for me, and these days, sadly, it has to be nothing. But no hardship – I genuinely enjoy a plan based on simple veg, salad, meat, fish and cheese where carb counting is easy ‘cos most of what I eat has hardly any!!

Why not give one of the low carb things a try? I’m absolutely loving the recipes suitable for BSD from Tom Kerridge’s dopamine diet which is essentially low carb but with an understanding that food needs to be a treat sometimes and needs to make you feel good too. If I wasn’t T2, that’s the one I’d go for on maintenance, nicely written, lovely food. I know it’s easy for me to say as I’m teetotal, but even pub-owner Tom says the one thing that made the biggest difference was cutting out alcohol. If you ‘need’ a glass of wine at the end of the day, why not address the source of the stress or find relaxation anot her way, just for a month? Or halve your intake, just quite deliberately halve it? It’s got to help Book is currently on offer in Sainsbury’s.

Mkx

• posted by Theodora
    on

BB, I can fully understand why you feel so discouraged. It cannot be easy trying to lose the same few pounds over and over again, and Verano, Mk and Marsie talk a lot of sense. This WOE is a bit obsessive and cannot suit everyone, and if it is to be sustainable one has to be happy on it.

Like you, I was neither T2 or pre-diabetic, but I was 2.5st overweight (and climbing) and I embarked on BSD800 purely because I hated the way I felt. Let alone looked!! Everything was becoming more of an effort, and when we were walking the hills near us I was getting breathless far more easily than my o/h who is 5 years older than me. I felt bloated, lethargic and just generally old! I wasn’t eating a huge amount, just all the wrong things – plus alcohol, and quite a lot of it! I walked around looking like an old bag lady, wearing huge clothes to hide under, but which I suspect actually made me look even bigger. Now, after just 15 weeks of, I confess, total commitment, that 2.5st has gone (in fact almost 3st) and I feel like a different person. I literally leap out of bed in the morning, zoom around all day without any lack of energy, sleep far more soundly although I now go to bed much later because I feel so energised, no more headaches or bloated rumbly tums, no more joint pain etc and I now LIKE the way I look. Shopping for clothes has become a joy. I used to hate it, because whatever I tried on looked awful, so I wore the same old clothes day in day out, rather than face the shops. With the money I have saved from not buying wine (I used to drink every single day, so a substantial amount of cash has been saved) I have invested in a new haircut and a new wardrobe of lovely clothes. Whatever I try on seems to look good – I have gone from a UK16 to a 10, and in fact today, everything I bought was an 8 (something I never thought I’d achieve when I started this). People tell me my whole persona has changed, I am more outgoing and confident, and I certainly achieve more each day. And I KNOW I am much healthier. So, even without the impetus of diabetes, there are HUGE incentives to sticking with it, if you feel you able. I do hope you do, because the benefits are huge, but you must do what is right for you. Good luck and have a lovely weekend away and you will hopefully come back invigorated, relaxed and refreshed.

PS I can also recommend Tom Kerridge’s Dopamine Diet book. Lots of really lovely recipes.

on

Inspiring post, Theodora. Mk๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you so much to those of you who have taken the trouble to reply to my (now read as ) cry for help!
    In response to some queries, I am 70, and do have metabolic syndrome, did have a raised HbA1c of 45 which reduced to 37 after being on BSD. I did weigh 17.2lbs have lost 2 1/2 stone plus a little more since October though have lost and gained many of those pounds many times over. However, friends and family have just started to comment on my weight loss and I am enjoying wearing my new slimmer clothes.
    I know I am addicted to carbs and one taste is not ever enough and also I know I feel better without them. I also have realised (just lately) that I am drinking too much – we worked hard all our lives and now enjoy a drink or two, or three or even four as we tell ourselves that we deserve it! Now that is a confession!
    I have read and re read your comments and advice which I will mull over during the next few days, though will not allow this to spoil the Spanish wedding. Maybe a change of plan would help, I just don’t know, but I do know that I must continue to lose weight.
    Thank you again for your love and support.
    X B

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Busybee- I have had a good result this week but like you have had really disappointing weeks with no weight loss despite 100% effort. One of the things I think doesn’t help when doing BSD is comparing ourselves to others. We are all different and our bodies are unique. Some people lose weight quicker than others. When I started in January I was expecting big weight losses and it just didn’t happen for me but slowly and gradually I have been chipping away. Two weeks ago I was so fed up with the effort to reward ratio that I almost gave up but thankfully after some kindly words of advice on here, found some resolve to keep going. The reason I started this way of life was because I was obese with an unhealthy BMI of 32 and have always found it difficult to lose weight. I have lost almost two stone since January and feel better for it. The BSD does work but not as quickly as some of us would prefer. The word you used in your post was weary and I felt just the same a couple of weeks ago. i hope after the weekend you feel better and stronger and like me can dig deep and keep your BSD resolve. I am now doing 16:8 to help boost my fat burning and I think that’s what helped me lose 2lb this week. It might work for you when you get back.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi all. Just reading the previous posts and thought I’d give a bit of background. I started this way of eating to try to get my T2D husband to follow the principles to help possibly reverse the T2. He hasn’t read the book and I won’t ask him to do so another time! All I can do is follow the principles with cooking at home and give him meals I know are good for him. He is also cooking now BSD friendly ways. He still has the odd slice of bread or if we eat out he will have a burger bun or some potatoes. I personally feel better emotionally and haven’t had too many wobbles. I have never counted calories or carbs on this way of eating but am close to the 2 stone loss. I am cooking more inviting tastier meals and adapt to allow for what I consider treats eg low carb pizza, coconut biscuits, almond flour bread. We are all doing this for different reasons and I think the fact that we are still trying to improve our health and that of our families is something to be proud of. I’m grateful for all the inspiring posts on here, good days and bad. We are making a difference in each others lives!

• posted by Cara54
    on

So many inspirational stories here. It certainly gives me encouragement to keep going. 2lbs off at Monday morning weigh in. I’m happy with that.

• posted by pod
    on

There has so many great posts on here to day, I really don’t know what to say, you’re all inspirational in your own way.. and so, so many great ideas and advice.
    4lb loss for me this week, but only 5 more days to my holiday, where I’m hoping I will maintain!!

NSV!! I was at the docs today, and she was literally amazed at my weight loss, also my dark lilac hair, but that’s another story!
    I had told her about BSD just before I started this diet and she said, give it a go, but don’t expect too much!! She was very sceptical!,
    BUT today, when I told her about how it was in practice, she said she was going to give it a go!
    She doesn’t seem to need to lose much, but seemed enthused about the wheat and carbs thing.. going back to see her at the end of the month, hope she has good news. So she gave me a full blood work out, and it will be interesting to see what has changed.
    ANN

• posted by pod
    on

Forgot to say, I’m with you on Tom Kerridges book, loving it for a meal at the weekend!
    Also, I’m still looking for that holy grail, ” The Gin Drinkers Diet”. Lol!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Weekly check in for me and I’m happy to say I’ve lost 1.8kg (3.96lb) this week – the biggest loss so far for me in the 16 weeks I’ve been doing BSD ๐Ÿ™‚
    Admittedly about a third of that is the weight I gained while away the weekend before last, but as a slower loser ANY loss is to be celebrated!
    This means I’m now only 1.4kg away from my next mini goal, which sees me move down into the next stone bracket.
    I’m hoping this is doable over the next 2 weeks – bearing in mind my usual loss is about 0.5 kg per week.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Wow, SueBlue, way to go๐Ÿ‘ wishing you well toward your next mini-goal.

Well done Cara54, and to you pod, on the loss and the NSV! This will be helping your confidence re maintaining on your holiday๐Ÿ˜Š

Many beautiful thoughts and comments above from this very insightful and caring group๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Pod – what a good response from your Doctor. It will be really interesting to hear the results of your blood works.

Sueblue and Cara – well done with your weight loss this week.

Read a very interesting article in yesterday’s ‘I’ Newspaper.
    ‘Sweet Tooth’ linked to liver hormones.
    Scientists have identified a ‘sweet tooth hormone’ which is secreted by the liver after eating sweets. People whose bodies make FGF21 in large quantities are a 5th more likely to be high consumers of sweets.

As a T2D who is in ‘the last chance saloon’ I have not eaten any sugar for a whole year as one mouthful of sugary carbs would trigger a carb fest. So maybe it isn’t lack of self contol on my part – but maybe it is driven by this liver hormone – because it is very interesting that I have absolutely no cravings for the sweet stuff at all if I never eat it, but one mouthfull is all that is needed to set off a frantic carb fest.

I also wonder if the white carbs that turn into glucose very quickly will trigger the same response from the liver as I have found that the white carbs also seemed to set this off in the past – although of course they were often mixed with sugar e.g. Tesco Finest biscuits and all varieties of cake (especially coffee and walnut cake).

• posted by Verano
    on

A few questions for MK , and anybody else with T2 who has come off medication ….

How long ago were you diagnosed with T2?
    What medication were you taking?
    What was your average HbA1c while taking medication?
    How long after starting BSD were you able to stop medication?
    Did you GP/medical practitioner take you off medication or was it your own idea?

The reason I ask these questions is because my HbA1c has been ‘normal’ at 5.5 since last October. I had a second test 3 months later and am due for my next in mid May. If I’m still ‘normal’ I want to ask my GP to reduce or stop my metformin.

Thanks in advance for your experiences.

on

Hi Verano

Some answers

I was diagnosed in May last year from a very high fasting blood test and with absolutely no other symptoms – I was in hospital being treated for a really serious PE – which now turns out to be a known side effect of a prescribed drug I’d been taking for a year.
    First HbA1c showed uncontrolled T2 with one of the highest readings GP had ever seen – he wanted me to go straight onto insulin, but agreed to let me try with low carb diet, Metformin and Glicizide.
    I’d been on a low carb diet for almost 5 years with a BMI of 26.5, happy, fit. The PE experience had stopped me exercising for 12 weeks and I’d put on about 12lbs from my everyday weight.
    When diagnosed I was terrified as my mum was diagnosed identically at exactly the same age and has gone on to develop horrendous peripheral neuropathy which made her an invalid in 3 years, sight loss, she just aged 10 years,p. However, she was a drinker, ignored all diet advice and didn’t take her meds as she was very slim and had put on weight on Metformin, so stopped taking it.
    Took meds and tested religiously for 6 months during which time I stopped sleeping, got regular hypos due to unpredictability of glicozide and put on almost 4 stones by following the dietitians ‘starchy carbs’ advice, partly, I think, because I was finding it hard to leave fat and protein behind, and this combined with spuds and bread was a bit of a disaster.
    Exercise was a distant memory as I was getting no meaningful night time sleep yet was so exhausted I fell asleep on the sofa every night at 7.30.
    Next HbA1c came back with ‘excellent diabetes control’ and a below normal reading, so GP said ‘keep doing what you’re doing but take 1 less Glicozide a day’. When I told him I’d never felt less healthy in my life, he tutted & sent me back to the dietician who suggested a diet full of starchy carbs and frankenfoods – Ww yoghurt, half fat cheese, low cal margarine, fill up on diet drinks – everything I’d avoided for the previous 5 years on low carb, when I’d felt so healthy and well. I knew this could not be my life forever, I had to get back to where I’d been.
    Researched, heard about Prof Taylor via work, but didn’t want to do meal replacements as per his 800 cal induction, so dithered about for a month.
    Found MM book and started bsd 4 October. In December, another ‘excellent’ HbA test, and GP took me off Glicozide and said if sugars stayed stable, to reduce Metformin by two tablets (of 4 per day). He didn’t believe the change was due to diet because ‘it couldn’t change that quickly’. Sugars stayed at 5.3 till Feb appointment, so Metformin reduced again by one tablet. and sugars are still stable. Doc knows, but says if I stop Metformin it will be against his advice as he doesn’t think I can control my diet indefinitely, despite 5 years of previous low carb eating. So now 4 stones down, although I have pushed for reduction in meds, the GP still holds the whip hand.

Sorry, not currently near records so can’t give precise test result numbers, but mine have been normal or below every time since the scary first one – I’ve had 2 normal or below. My FBS has never been more than 7.8 since December, is usually between 4.9 and 6.1. I would love to be off meds completely, but can’t see it happening soon. In my area (Scotland) I think doctors get a bonus for diagnosing and treating T2 and I’m sure that’s why he won’t let me come off completely and note that my T2 is reversed. And just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean I’m wrong…! Lol. Hope this helps. Mkx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Blimey Mk….what a medical history. I admire you 100% for taking control of your diet. You have inspired me. Its reading reports like yours that have kept me motivated on this way of eating as my one big fear in life was becoming a diabetic. Thanks to you and others for inspiration I have lost just over three stone since 1st October but am now struggling with further weight loss because of my thyroid going awol.

KrysiaD….well done for not having sugar for a whole year.
    Pod….the lilac hair sounds fantastic and its great your doctor is on your side.

I feel a bit guilty not contributing to this thread. I do read it every day but feel a bit overwhelmed to try and reply to everyone.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi MK,

Thanks for sharing your history re blood glucose control. You are doing great and knowing someone else’s story gives me insight and hope! I wish you the very best luck and good fortune for your future endeavours with the bsd!

bigeater

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Verano

I have been diabetic type 2 for about 5 years, I was on 2000 mg metformin per day for the last 18months and my hbaic sat around 6.1. I gradually cut down on metformin during the 8 weeks of fast 800 with support from my doctor. My most recent hba1c was 5.6 but the next hba1c in a couple of months will be most telling re effect of no metformin.

My doctor says there is no issue with stopping metformin with a good hba1c result and anyway if the blood glucose does go up its an easy matter of taking the metformin again as according to her it only takes two weeks on metformin to get a lower blood glucose reading.

You might be interested to know that I read somewhere that metformin only reduces blood sugar by about 20 percent and that ity has no effect on stopping later diabetic complications. Wish I could say where I read this but it was a reputable source.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All. I didn’t post on Tuesday,I just got fed up last weekend and stopped measuring and weighing.
    I read everyone’s posts and I didn’t feel motivated.It is wonderful to see everyone’s success but unusual for me I didn’t connect as I have in the past.
    Marsie and I discussed how it seems harder when we are not T2 or have big health issues and don’t have such a huge amount of weight to loose.As I have been working for the last few days ,I used my train trip to work today to review all my weights and I realized that I lost .3 kg and Ive been sitting around 83kg for a couple of weeks but more important Ive roughly kept to the BSD. My portions are too big and I do have a few treats,but my BGL is mostly under 6 . So I will try to be less intense about big numbers and try to be grateful for small results. I’m also pleased that I didn’t eat a lot of carbs to get energy when I’m really tired, so some old habits are starting to fade away.
    Following the conversation about Metformin. I very strongly believe in making my own health decisions so if BGL is consistently low, cut the pills down slowly, see what happens .You can always start again if needed. lots of doctors just follow guidelines written for the general situation and play safe in case some bad stuff happens and they get sued . We know how our bodies work and how to manage carbs in the diet,make your own decision ,cheers all

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you all!

Really interesting.

Can I start with the end of your really thorough account MK. I think it’s the same in England doctors get a ‘subsidy’ for each diabetic patient on their books so no great enthusiasm to get rid of us! I think you’ve done really well despite everything.

Interesting to hear that you can come off metformin without having to be ‘weaned’ off and can get the benefits again within two weeks of restarting. My history is similar to yours numberwise bigeater but I’ve been taking metformin for maybe 5 years now.

I also had no symptoms and my diabetes was found through a routine blood test. I think at its highest it was 7.2, hardly through the roof! As with you Butterlover I like to be in control of my own health but for some reason I have been reluctant to experiment with lowering my metformin, currently 2000mg slow release daily.

I think after seeing the ?? Panorama report last year I was frightened by the complications but if in fact, the metformin only regulates BS, without any protection against all the complications then maybe it is worth a go at reducing it even if my doctor doesn’t approve.

I think it may be difficult for doctors to give the go ahead to come off medication whilst NICE is still advocating plenty of carbs as the way to treat diabetes.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Not an expert but I believe that the payment is based on how many diabetic patients who are managing their diabetes within reasonable levels (output based measures) hence why they are keen to get you on the register and reluctant to take you off it.

on

That made me laugh so hard, JM. They put us on their little list, we have all the stress of dieting and measuring and taking grim meds, they get a bonus for keeping us on the straight and narrow. When I think about the total lack of support from my GP, even when I’m seeing great results, then he pockets his bonus on top of his ยฃ120k salary, all I can do is howl at the moon!

What I also wanted to say is the two times I’ve been away for a week and forgot my Metformin, I have felt so well and healthy – no Mrs Farty Fartpants (my bottom is truly shameful, one of the side effects that distresses me most) great sleep and feeling so alert, full of energy and happy to be alive – my old self, in fact. To know that the effects of meds are so limited is a real shock. Might be tempted to weigh up the risks, measure BS carefully and daily, keep off the carbs forever as planned, and take a happy life, if maybe a slightly shorter one.

Mkx

• posted by pod
    on

Gosh Maharani kitten, you’ve certainly gone through the mill. Congratulations for coming out the other side. I don’t have diabetes so don’t know anything about the medication your on, but I’m sure you’ll do what’s right for you in the long run, but please, keep happy, but don’t do anything that may shorten it. Love xxxxxxxxxxxx

Doc told me after a blood test after Christmas I was prediabetic, so, I decided this WOE was what I would do.
    I had a blood test yesterday after seeing the doc, and she rang me today with the results. I don’t think she’s ever rang me unless I’ve asked her to, so I was pretty worried. No need to fear she was EXCITED!!
    NSV. Cholesterol down from 6.8 to 5.0
    Hba1c down from. 6.1 to 5.6
    Result!
    I think the Doc was as I excited as I was, I think she may be recommending this diet to anyone who will listen!,
    Some of her quotes
    ” unbelievable result in 10 weeks”
    “-a truly remarkable turnaround”
    “You’re in the normal range, for the first time in 3 years”
    ” this is the diet for you, keep it up. If you go back to your old way of eating you’ll be back to square one”

I am very lucky to have such a great GP, I’ve been with her for about 20 years, I have nightmarish reoccurring depression and chronic fatigue syndrome.. She’s seen me at my worst.. and through some of the scatterbrained ideas I’ve come up with to try and help myself!!!
    but today was a VERY HAPPY DAY!

Nearly forgot in all the excitement! I was discharged from the physio yesterday as my arthritic knee is now pain free,
    Ann

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Ann what fantastic results! Well done ๐Ÿ™‚
    I can only imagine how happy you were to receive that phone call!
    I’m not diabetic either, but like you my GP told me I was pre-diabetic. I have an auto-immune condition too (Rheumatoid Arthritis).
    It is the NSVs that I am enjoying more than the weight loss – I no longer need to see my physio or occupational therapist as regularly, I’m on minimal medication, my joint pain has all but disappeared, I no longer have a problem with fatigue and my inflammation levels were normal at my last specialist check up. I haven’t had a blood sugar or cholesterol test for a while so will ask for one next time, will be interesting to see what has changed.
    For me, the weight loss has been a bonus, I’m so happy with everything else!

• posted by pod
    on

Congrats SueBlue for all your NSV’s xxx
    I agree with you, the weight loss is a real bonus, the changing health is what really motivates me too!
    I’m hoping for some change in fatigue real soon!,

• posted by Marsie
    on

I don’t always log in so early in the day but had a few minutes to spare this morning. Dear Ann, dear SueBlue, I’m feeling quite teary at your good news stories, what wonderful news to wake up to.

Maharani kitten, so much happened to you in a short space of time, you must have felt as though you were in the middle of a whirlwind. More power to you, Mk, for fighting your way through.

• posted by LippyLipid
    on

Dear All,

I wasn’t able to post on Tuesday but happy to report a 2.8 lb loss (1.27 kg) which is a great result. It’s really heartening to hear the health benefits many of you have experienced from following this way of eating.

I can also recommend Tom Kerridge’s Dopamine Diet book because the recipes widen the range of meals for the family. We cooked the Barbecued Beef recipe on Bank Holiday Monday, replacing Brisket for Top Rump, and it was delicious with a strong spicy kick. We ate it with a Tabbouleh salad. There a was a scant amount of Bulgur wheat in the salad (homemade) which fell well within the 50g limit of carbohydrates recommended.

I find it easier to bulk cook at the weekends and feed off the leftovers during the week because I find the evening meal difficult to prepare – I’m at my most tired at this time of day. Fatigue is an issue for me.

• posted by pod
    on

Hi all, another beautiful morning in Melton Mowbray.
    Marsie, your post was lovely and so heartfelt. It’s so nice that we all so kind to each other, wether we’re up or down!
    LippyLipid, congrats on your weight loss, well done xx I’ve got Tom’s book too, some great recipes in there for the weekend. I hope both our fatigue symptoms disappear very soon. It would feel so great if we felt more energised!
    Let’s all have a Happy Day xx

on

Why hello, carb monster. Long time, no see.
    How did you know I was having a bad day, rearing your ugly head after such a long time?
    Not quite sure how to fight you off just now but I’ll start with a bike ride and see if that sorts you.
    Or maybe my online pals can chase you away…

Mkx

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Mx

By now I trust the carb monster has been slain. It took a hike when you were out on the bike.

He doesn’t show up here too often but if and when I feel it I try to listen to the old body…something will be outta kilter so maybe up the fats and protein just a bit. Lemon in warm water while I think about it helps too. Once or twice in the journey of over a year now, I have actually just taken in some extra carbs….the amount was controlled by the thought of being too fat again…..and I reasoned that sometimes, on the very odd occasion I may well need carbs. Usually, but not always, I choose the good carbs not the MONSTER carb variety of the past.

Good luck. Do you want a copy of my spells book for wizards and monsters?

Nettle

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Pod

I’ve been reading a few of your posts. I had Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and eventually Adrenal Fatigue for nigh on 8 years. I had Thyroid Hashimoto’s thrown in to the mix and worked in the medical arena where little was understood about treatments. In 2015 I did find a great programme that reversed my problems within six months, then last year I randomly heard about this BSD, that has changed me more radically, I am not diabetic but this diet has reduced my raised Thyroid numbers nearly back to normal after all this time, I am not on any meds for it because I reacted so badly to any I tried. My gut feeling is that this diet is anti-inflammatory so all the overactive sites in the system get a rest. Anecdotal I know but results speak.

My fav quote now is that I am so full of energy I am almost dangerous, I am 65 this year but feel like I did in my 20s. I can climb the local very high bit at will, do three aquafit classes a week and two Tai Chi classes, walk almost every day up to 4kms, sometimes more, no effort and no recovery time needed.

I want you to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel….

You are lucky to have an enlightened GP to work with.

I will be following your successes here.

Nettle

• posted by pod
    on

Hi MK, hope the carb monster has done a bike!
    Nettle, thanks so much for your lovely post. Wow, you have turned around soooo much. Well done you!
    I’m so looking forward to the ” light at the end of the tunnel” l know it’s out there, just gotta wait and be patient!
    In the meantime I’m losing oodles of weight, so no bad thing!!!
    Cheers
    Ann

on

Thanks Nettle. Carb monster still lurking round the corner, but he’s on the run. I had a (rare) banana and that seems to have kicked him into touch. Mkx

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi Mk,
    Sometimes, just sometimes, the body may be needing something obscure, difficult for us to immediately recognise and so we’ll head for the carbs. It seems to me that your reaction to stop, analyse then take positive action (bike+banana=thinking time) to forestall a carb binge is indicative of the considerable distance you have travelled on this BSD road. Far enough for that monster to have trouble keeping up with you. Be proud of your achievements thus far Mk. Xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Just popping in to say ‘Hi’!

Great news pod and SueBlue, and well done nettle. MK glad you controlled the carb demons they try to catch us all out from time to time!

Thoughtful few days for me as I need a hip replacement, which I’ve written about on ‘My journey….’ thread. So although my weight has stayed static this week, so far, I have a plan!!

Just need to regroup, yet again, and carry on for the next few months. I must admit it’s getting harder and harder, especially as I’ve just started my eleventh month following BSD. At the moment I’m just going to have to dig deep …..

on

Did my 60 mile bike challenge today – cold and drizzly, but 42 of us raised over ยฃ4K for the charity, so all good. Hard route and hilly, started with bowl of porridge and kept going with cheese cubes, nuts and a banana. Drank half a can of flat Coca Cola near the end – my ‘go to’ energy boost on these occasions as recommended to me by Olympic cyclist Rebecca Romero a few years ago on a charity celeb ride. Works brilliantly.

60 miles in just over 5 hours including breaks, I was sixth home, happy with that, and it was nice not to have to drag 4 extra stones up the hills – a huge difference from last summer! Also, I managed to ride over the carb monster several times – the naughty lIttle rascal, he’s not the boss of me.

100 miles to do in 2 weeks time, but not scared. Could have kept on going today.

Only five more weeks till puppy pick-up. There was a spoodle at the end of the race today, beautiful.
    SO excited to bring my girl home! MKx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Congratulations Maharani kitten. How fantastic 60 miles and over 4K!

• posted by pod
    on

Maharanikitten, well done, good on you! Fantastic achievement, you are amazing!

• posted by pod
    on

Just logging in,a week early, my weight for this 4 week challenge! Lost 6lbs in 3 weeks so not so bad. Was hoping for an 8lb loss in 4 weeks, but I’m off on holiday in 6 hours, so I don’t imagine I’ll be losing anymore!
    So won’t be around for a couple if weeks. I aim to continue this WOE whilst on holiday, but with wine and gin and soda!! I really want to maintain so I’ll be mostly keeping the carb monster at bay, hopefully.
    Hope you all have the results you’re happy with,
    See you all in a couple of weeks and the next challenge!!
    ANN xxx

on

Enjoy your hols, pod! Mkx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done Mk – fantastic result. Very impressed, you must be feeling doubly good, what with the cycling result and kicking that carb monster into touch – exactly where he belongs – but did you have to kick him my way?

Supposed to be my last day of 2nd round today and what on earth possessed me to invite a crowd of friends round for a late, leisurely lunch, I have no idea. But invite them I did, and I succumbed to wine which meant all judgement went out the window – no idea how many calories I have eaten, only know that I haven’t had any refined carbs. Except for alcohol of course. May have to extend my 16 weeks by a few more days to repair the damage before hitting maintenance.

This is doubly distressing, as on the whole I have been really good for more or less the entire 16 weeks, other than a couple of planned blow-out trips away. Psychologically speaking, as I am terrified of maintenance, I wonder if I have subconsciously sabotaged myself today? Hey ho, back to the drawing board……………………..

Have a great holiday Pod x

Please log in or register to post a reply.