EASTER IS DONE, MID-MAY HERE WE COME: 4 week challenge ending Tuesday May 16th.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

MK – well done. Your 60 mile charity bike challenge is awesome. You are right about the difference it makes not having to drag the extra stones around.

Pod – hope you have a lovely holiday – and well done for the weight loss.

Theodora – great that you didn’t have any refined carbs. On maintenance it is absolutely fine to have more calories. I have been entering everything into fat secret while on maintenance – not to control how much I eat, but just to get an idea of how many calories keep me maintaining.

It is so interesting that I have a sort of natural cycle where I eat more calories for a few days – then have a few days when I just can’t eat as much. On those days I often have to add extra calories (cheese is helpful to up the calories) because I am worried I might start burning lean muscle mass. As long as I keep the carbs low I keep maintaining in a very narrow weight range. On the higher calorie days 9st 4lbs and the lower calorie days 9st 3.5lbs.

I thought that the carb monster was well and truly vanquished – but obviously not. We have a rule that if husband wants a sugary desert he serves himself. Yesterday he was tired so I went to the freezer and got out a tub of luxury ice cream made by a local farm. The carb monster leapt out – telling me that it was so unfair that I was depriving myself of the lovely ice cream.

I managed with great difficulty to avoid even a teaspoon of the ice cream because I know that just one teaspoon would have led to me secretly consuming the whole tub in the kitchen and then having to replace it secretly so that nobody is aware of the huge amount of ice cream I had consumed. I have done this so many times over the years.

In future husband gets his own ice cream no matter how tired he is. Carb monster retreated back to his corner defeated.

I had my 90% Lindt (2 squares) and all was well – but it was touch and go.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Krysia, and well done on resisting the carb monster and the ice cream – yes, make o/h get his own ice cream in future, even if he has to crawl to the freezer on his hands and knees 😉

Thanks for the encouragement, but yesterday I had more than double my 800 cal allowance and the wine and the extra nuts pushed my carbs up to a whopping 48!!! I know lots of people aim for 50, so 48 may not sound a huge amount, but for the past 16 weeks my carbs have never been above 25, and usually below 20, so it was a huge increase for me. Anyway, despite the fact that FatSecret tells me that I expended more calories than I took in yesterday, the scales still showed a pound increase today (how can that be???), so I will continue with 800 cals and 20 carbs until that pound, plus the 8oz I put on during the family reunion last week, have gone again, and then start a CONTROLLED maintenance by gradually increasing both cals and healthy carbs. Depressing though – no idea why I sabotaged myself so badly on my last day, as this was the very first time in the entire 16 weeks 🙁

Hope everyone else is doing better than me 🙁

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All ,so impressed by your bike ride MK,well done. Theodora, staying away from the icecream, great Job that is an achievement.
    I took the weekend off. I had a really bad week last week . I worked really hard. 10 hours on my feet ,both ankles are really sore and Im thinking that I will need to retire sooner than planned. So I decided treats where needed. We went to a Malaysian place and I had half a small bowl of rice with curry and a delicious banana prata with ice cream, shared with Hubby.Of course , it was a really bad idea when we got home,I also ate a whole packet of Lindt black balls left from Easter. Today my weight is up .4 KG, surprisingly my BGL is ok this morning at 5.6 .
    So now I’m back to the usual routine and Ive learned my lesson again. I don’t have the ability to have one square of chocolate ,I’m an all or none person and Ive proven it to myself a thousand times. The plan is to focus forward to get down to 80 kg and another size smaller before my holiday in July.Ive taken on extra work which should keep me really busy, no time to snack and provided my ankles hold up I should be able to do it. Invested in a supply of anti-inflammatry gel and tablets, stacked the fridge with salad, so Ill let you know how it goes.I know I sabotage myself but I accept that’s what I do ,now to get on with returning to plan. I hope everyone is happy with progress. Cheers

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All ,so impressed by your bike ride MK,well done. Krysia, staying away from the icecream, great Job that is an achievement.
    I took the weekend off. I had a really bad week last week . I worked really hard. 10 hours on my feet ,both ankles are really sore and Im thinking that I will need to retire sooner than planned. So I decided treats where needed. We went to a Malaysian place and I had half a small bowl of rice with curry and a delicious banana prata with ice cream, shared with Hubby.Of course , it was a really bad idea when we got home,I also ate a whole packet of Lindt black balls left from Easter. Today my weight is up .4 KG, surprisingly my BGL is ok this morning at 5.6 .
    So now I’m back to the usual routine and Ive learned my lesson again. I don’t have the ability to have one square of chocolate ,I’m an all or none person and Ive proven it to myself a thousand times. The plan is to focus forward to get down to 80 kg and another size smaller before my holiday in July.Ive taken on extra work which should keep me really busy, no time to snack and provided my ankles hold up I should be able to do it. Invested in a supply of anti-inflammatry gel and tablets, stacked the fridge with salad, so Ill let you know how it goes.I know I sabotage myself but I accept that’s what I do ,now to get on with returning to plan. I hope everyone is happy with progress. Cheers

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Shopped up for husby’s departure on Weds,. I’ll be the no-cook kitten for 10 days, Fage and raspberries, feta, chicken, salads or veg and fish for the duration. Also planning girly cinema and theatre trips, a hen night at my fave Italian – so easy to eat low carb there – loads of scrummy fish! , And planning to have lots of sleep if poss – he snores like a hog! Love him though I do, I adore my lone beach walks and a quiet, tidy house.

BUtterlover, the thing is, you can’t ‘take the weekend off’ with low carb, it’s a cumulative thing, if you eat carbs then your body takes a while to reset and every time you try again, it’s harder. So this ‘on-off-on again doesn’t do you or anyone else who does this any favours.. Tbh I don’t think I’d clocked that you were on this for BS reasons.

It is the thought of amputation, heart problems and blindness that keeps me on the straight and narrow, Indeed, I have a photo of a horrible foot on my fridge. You think it won’t happen to you? It did, to my T2 10 stone mum, who lost her right foot 3 years after her diagnosis, because she wouldn’t lay off sugar – she liked a slice or three of toast, liked her puddings and custard, craved chocolate and liked a glass of wine. Not loads, but enough to hike her sugar up more often than she should. She’d do 2 days on a diet, lose heart, binge 5 days, start again. Now she has no feet. Just think about that for a minute. No feet, very little sight, and heart problems at 66. Until you get your head free of this ‘bad week, I need the weekend off’ , ‘mindset, take it from me (been there, done that..) you will struggle EVERY weekend.

I am honestly no saint. I hate eating b*gger all, I’m angry at my body for making it necessary. But it IS necessary and this is the way I have to eat forever. I walk, ride my bike and row on my machine not because I love it, ‘cos I don’t!! But because for me, there is no alternative.

I want to take up ceilidh dancing when I retire. The way I see it, i’ll be wanting my feet for that…. MKx

• posted by Verano
    on

Interesting post MK.

Very timely for me because I had an ‘old normal’ day today eating the way I did pre-BSD. Today, for some reason, ‘healthy food’ just couldn’t do it for me. I may have over indulged today but I know I will be back to my ‘new’ normal eating tomorrow. I know that for some it’s all or nothing but I do think that, for me, the very occasional day with some extra carbs gives my body a bit of a jolt.

Butterlover you have to be honest with yourself. Do you have more days following the plan each week than not? Have you lost weight in the long term? Is this just a sticky patch or are you constantly yo-yoing? Maybe this plan isn’t for you if it’s very difficult to follow. I do think that MK is right that it does get harder each time you ‘start again’. Also, it may be doing nasty things to your BS.

MK, you really do have many things to motivate you! It’s sometimes good to be reminded of why we are here following this plan, although I’m very sorry to hear of your mum’s plight.

I have an HbA1c in less than two weeks so I’ll see the results of today’s carb fest!!!! Hope I haven’t done too much damage.

• posted by Mariet
    on

MK, thanks for your very interesting post. I’m so sorry for your poor mother and I can see how that is a mighty motivator. I’ve sometimes thought that having an imperative like BS control would make it easier to wholeheartedly embrace this as a way of life. Doing it for weight loss alone, while important to me, doesn’t give blips and wobbles the same gravity.

I’m happy to report a half kilo loss this week down to 66.9kg and BMI under 27, thrilled to bits ☺

It occurred to me this week after reading a post by someone, can’t remember who, that making my challenge target a weight loss is actually counter productive for me. I can’t really determine the size of the loss. So next challenge my goals are going to be concerning the things I CAN influence , the food choices I make and the activity level I achieve. This week I walked more than 12000 steps a day for the first time since starting BSD and it feels so good ☺

Good luck to everyone and thanks for all the inspiring posts! I don’t post often but I read them all and it helps me a lot.

on

The really scary thing is that my mum was diagnosed T2 at exactly the same age as me, the same way, from a blood test and no other symptoms. She was a lot slimmer than me though.

Utterly terrified that it’s genetics, and that whatever I do I can’t avoid her fate. So my motivation is abject fear, most of the time. Not such a good motivator really! . And to be fair, cancer got her in the end, not diabetes.

MKx

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Mk

I think I understand your thinking. Very sad about your mother.
    My grandfather had both his legs amputated due to diabetes and also died from the disease which is rife on that side of the family – for generations. I am quite fearful and very motivated.
    A bit dejected because my fasting blood glucose is still a little high even though my hba1c is normal. However I am on this way of eating for life and hopefully further weight loss will give me the results I need.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Maharani kitten, a sobering post indeed. A dreadful outcome for your mother which makes your underlying drive on the BSD completely understandable and valid.

Verano, timely for you and also for me as I’ve been at my old default position for most of this week. Consequently I’ve gained 1.3kg at weigh-in this morning, 64.1kg. There was no particular reason this week for the lapse in the course I’ve said I want to follow, and in any case, I’m a little bit sick of hearing my excuses. I do agree with Mariet though, that without a diagnosed BS disorder the blips and wobbles are easier to dismiss.

I’ve been thinking of you for a couple of days Mk and this morning I’ve sat you down with me at my breakfast table, and am listening to you telling me to sort out what I really want to do. Asking am I serious about losing a relatively small number of kgs and if so, why? etc,etc.

Here is a brutal summary of my time with BSD: I’ve been on and around the forum since April 2016, yes that’s April of last year. I had an on again off again start then clicked in and lost 6kg in about 3 months but by Christmas time I was treading water, can remember writing on Verano’s “sleigh” challenge that I was clinging on by the fingernails. I haven’t materially changed things since then. A couple of kgs up, couple down, now up again.

So, why am I hanging around? I know without a doubt that without all the wonderful people on this forum I would have put all 6kg back on, plus more. I’m 72, have had my share of health issues, incl kidney cancer, melanoma, gall bladder out, but feel relatively healthy and want to stay that way. I don’t want to be two of my younger siblings, obese, heart problems, asthma, or a couple of my friends heading in that direction.

So! Mk, I’m listening to my conjured up, metaphorical, you. I’m starting this morning, have my plan for the day worked out, I’m back to tracking everything, incl water and we will see how well my resolve takes me through this final week of our challenge, which incidentally takes in Mothers’ Day on Sunday. I’m back, one day at a time.

Apologies for venting in longform. Hope everyone has a brilliant weigh-in day xx

PS Maharani kitten, apologies for using your name in this way. It was done in complete admiration.

on

Hi Marsei, Bigeater, Marsie, Verano and others. Am aware I use this forum as a bit of a thought dump – sorry, – I just kind of live in my own head on the topic of my T2 and won’t talk to anyone else about my fears in this regard, so hard to talk to healthy chums IRL about the fear of having your feet chopped off! Also, when fatter, the fear of being judged -‘well, she’s brought THAT on herself!’. So I vent here. Sorry.

Not a saint, but I plan and follow rules well!,. Often feel mad at life, at my stupid self for getting in this mess. Before, I had a choice and chose low carb to get slim, stay slim. But it WAS a choice. Now the choice is rather more stark. But I’m going to be more like JM and others, keep on keeping quietly on,.

A lonely pound off this week, but hopefully husby’s absence and my consequent Spartan diet and extra exercise will give me a boost! Good luck with today’s weigh in, everyone! Mkx

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Maharani Kitten,

Absolutely no need to apologise. You were brave to say it like it is. I have the same fear, have some nueropathy in feet which scares the living daylights out of me…. How can it happen when my hba1c is normal.

Anyway you are doing all the right things and you are an exercise demon. exercise not exorcise lol.

All the best

Bigeater

• posted by Natalie
    on

Today was a pretty standard food day for me at the moment, went something like:

B: omelette and tea – good start
    L: cold meat and salad – still doing well
    Afternoon walking to station: Nutella doughnut, didn’t enjoy it much
    Get home: most of a packet of rice crackers left over from “for visitors” with disgusting amount of cream cheese
    (Plan for dinner is roast chicken and veges)

Feel sick, BS high (I’m pre-T2), read MKs post, feel sicker and sad and scared and disappointed in myself. I can feel the sugar swirling through my blood, my mouth feels like something died in it.

I honestly don’t know how to stop this roundabout. I make plans and promises every day. Every time I fail it gets that much easier to fail again. Like Marsie I lost a few kilos and then have been hanging around here because I feel like it’s stopped me putting the weight back on and gaining more.

My name is Natalie and I’m addicted to carbs.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Maharani kitten, please, not too quietly. Your input here is so highly valued, and it is good that you feel you can vent on here. Better here In relative anonymity I think.

I’m so sorry I added to your stress. Marilyn

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Hi Bigeater, Like you I have neuropathy in my feet despite having normal HbA1C readings since starting this diet 8 months ago. Unfortunately a short stint on Metformin is the cause in my case and it appears my neuropathy is not lessening. I note in your profile you also have been on Metformin. Metformin lists this as a possible side effect and for some of us this side effect does not abate. At least having our BGLs in the normal range and not being on Metformin anymore the neuropathy should not increase. Fingers crossed.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Jenny

Thanks for your informative post. I had no idea this was the case regarding metformin. It makes me really angry to think that it was prescribed to me without any warning of such outcomes. I just read on the net that the neuropathy may persist and even worsen despite giving up the metformin. Like you, I didn’t take it for long, around 8 months I think. I am starting to realise with drugs that they are sometimes more harmful than the condition.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up! All the best

Bigeater

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi everyone. I am not diabetic as far as I know. Never been tested.
    MK I read your post with interest and mild panic. What your mother went through sounds dreadful. There’s a part of me that struggles to understand why this kind of suffering is allowed to continue when there is a solution available. The bit of me that’s old and cynical knows it’s all about the money and I feel very sad and angry. Please feel free to vent at any time. You are an inspiration. Also congratulations on your recent cycle challenge and good luck with the next one.
    I have regained the 2lbs I lost last week. Now I’ve got to figure out what went wrong.😯 Aim to get rid of those two and another one forever by the end of the challenge.

on

There’s a fab tv prog in the UK about a GP who thinks we all take too many drugs – think it’s called Doctor in the House – starts again this week so there’s been plenty of press about it. One critic said, incredulously -‘ this is a man who says you can cure type 2 diabetes with a diet rich in Avocados, olive oil and nuts!!’. All the more reason to take notice!

In his last series he helped loads of people come off meds they’d been re-prescribed with no consultations for YEARS – he prescribed talking therapies, chiropractic and osteopath appointments, vitamins, diets. Vit D and B6 and b12 seem almost universally deficient. Everyone improved massively. He is furious at the way his colleagues treat symptoms, not causes. One woman taking 16 different strong drugs for migraine because nobody was seeing her as a person, not a set of symptoms Several people found to have yeast infections of the gut which was exacerbating their symptoms esp joint pain and brain fog. Worth a look. He’s got a book out – will try to find title. Seems like a genuine, caring GP who wants to help, rather than a guy selling a book. Mkx

on

Hey, here’s an idea for the last week of our challenge.

Why don’t we all make a week’s plan, every day’s food meticulously planned, at least 30 mins exercise, water, no cheating except non-food treats. Follow to the letter. It’s one week, 7 days, 168 hours for us to build our confidence and prove that we can DO this. WE have the power!

Who’s with me? MKx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Natalie I’m sorry you’re feeling so bad. I know those feelings so well 😢

Is there any way you can plan to avoid the triggers? Don’t keep the rice crackers when the visitors leave. Walk a different way to the station. Carry some sliced veges and dips for the mid afternoon or a boiled egg. Carry a photo of a gangrenous foot? Just joking.

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning everyone

I’ve had another round of cellulitis this past week and only feeling like my old self again today. This is something that I’m going to have to investigate further. Anyway, my weight has increased by 2lbs this week. Partly due to my carb fest yesterday and partly to not being vigilant because of my cellulitis.. No excuse!

MK voicing your thoughts and fears is really helpful for others as well as yourself. A really good part of having these boards is that you can post anonymously and vent your anger at life etc. without fear of ridicule or judgement. Just keep posting it not only helps you but also so many others in so many ways.

Marsie just ‘keep hanging around’ ! We all learn from each other’s experiences. I think maybe you need to be a bit kinder to yourself. You don’t have a lot to lose so maybe you should cut yourself some slack and set your carbs at around 75g and calories at 1250 to 1500. You will still lose slowly but you will get a huge uplift sticking to your plan. You can always cut back later. I think you might benefit from a similar approach Natalie.

Bigeater can I just say that neuropathy has many causes. You should see your GP/medical practitioner. My husband has had peripheral neuropathy for many years but never had diabetes or took metformin. Even if it is caused by the metformin you need to be assessed. Sometimes we can’t diagnose ourselves. I remember sunshine-girl asking me ‘how normal’ I wanted to be when I reported a normal HbA1c! Fasting bloods only give you a reading for that moment in time, as opposed to an 8 to 12 week average, and can be affected by many things. Unless your fasting bloods are way out of control I’d just be happy with your ‘normal’ HbA1c!!

Thanks for the information about Doctor in the House MK will definitely watch out for that!

Have a good day!

• posted by Cara54
    on

MK that is a brilliant idea. I’m in. Today’s plan. Yoghurt and berries for breakfast in a little while. Chicken curry with salad for lunch. Nothing else for at least 24 hours.

• posted by Verano
    on

MK you know I’m always up for a ‘JUST 7 DAYS’ plan! Have done quite a few in the past, in fact my last was just a few weeks ago. They always work for me.

Not sure that such a detailed plan would work for me but a daily plan certainly does so yes I’m in.

How about we start now ….. DAY 1 of 7 …..,

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Verano,

Thanks for that. What you say makes sense and I will follow up with doctor. Don’t know why it never occurred to me.

Keep up the good bsd work.

Bigeater

• posted by Natalie
    on

7 days? Well I’ll try. (I know: do, or do not. There is no try.) I haven’t done so well even getting through one day! But maybe not restricting my calories so much will help – eat more good stuff so I can resist the bad stuff. But you get such fast results on 800 calories! I want to lose this weight yesterday! I’m torn. I’ll sleep on it. Either way I’m cheering everybody else on.

on

Verano, it helps me to put a week’s plan on the fridge and tick it off, meal by meal! I put a big Red Cross if I eat more than planned. Cheese is my downfall. I always fast from 7pm to 7 am

day 1 of 7

B. 6 tbsp yoghurt, 8 raspberries
    L. Cucumber, feta and watermelon salad with mint
    D. Baked cod and Spring cabbage
    s. Same every day – 6 almonds , Small cube of Cornish cruncher cheese
    2l water with squeeze of lemon

Exercise. M. 2 walk circuits (3k) 30 min rowing

Tomorrow

B. Yoghurt and berries
    L chicken breast with lettuce and cucumber
    D. Green salad with Parmesan
    Snacks, water
    2 bike circuits (10k) 1 hr swim

• posted by Verano
    on

MK I can see how that can work. For me although I put my days food into fatsecret in the morning, I still have the option to swap it around if I change my mind when it comes to dinner!!!

Natalie you are so right 800 calories a day does work but you have to stick to it!!!!!! if you don’t follow a plan you don’t lose! Better to eat more and lose some! A saying I picked up from here…..
    Coming last beats did not finish, and even did not finish beats did not start…..

• posted by joancarver
    on

Hi, visiting from ‘Starting the BSD’

MK, just wanted to say don’t apologise – I loved your post and I’m not even diabetic! As wonderful as it is to have kind support on these forums, it’s also useful to be reminded now and again of why we need to prioritise our health. And the more raw the posts, the more they speak. (If that makes sense)

Also, your 7-day plans to post food and exercise is a great idea!

• posted by Theodora
    on

So many posts today 🙂

Mk – I echo what everyone else has said, please don’t apologise for venting. Your posts and thoughts are incredibly helpful to the rest of us and believe me, you no longer live just in your head, you live in ours’ as well 😉 Which is a GOOD thing and helps keep us on the straight and narrow 🙂 I will also look out for the tv programme.

Verano, really sorry to hear you have suffered yet another bout of cellulitis, horrid condition, so really hope you are feeling much better now.

Natalie, I agree entirely with Verano – we all want the weight to be gone yesterday, but increasing your daily allowance and actually losing the weight will be a whole lot more productive than attempting to be really strict and failing. Must be worth a try?

Mk, I think 7 days accountability is a great idea – as you say, it is only 7 days. It will be an interesting exercise for me as I embark on maintenance, so will be gradually increasing calories.

So far today I have had 2 cups of weak black tea, one cup of strong black coffee and 2 pints of tap water. I will continue to drink weak black tea during the day, plus at least another 2pts of tap water.
    Breakfast was at 11am – 125g Fage yoghurt + 50g blueberries (yum yum, same every day)
    No lunch.
    Dinner will be a large Salad Nicoise and a small glass (125mls) of sauvignon blanc (left over from my indulgent weekend and only allowed because I have reached target, but generally, now on maintenance, will limit it to weekends)
    Snack – half a dozen brazil nuts and some cheese if I am peckish.
    Like others, I tend to practice 16/8 so nothing at all (other than tea and water) between 7pm and 11am the next day.

Daily exercise – same every day – 2 x 4 mile dog walks, in relatively hilly terrain.

As far as this current 4 week challenge is concerned, I have now lost 4lbs 8oz on this challenge to date, which considering I have had a few days away and several social occasions, I am very pleased about (gained a bit, but lost it again, thankfully) I am now officially on maintenance, so my last week’s challenge is to do simply that – maintain.

• posted by melb100
    on

Hi Natalie,

Just chiming in here as a fellow carb addict.

Mairet’s advice is really good – I have actually changed my walking route into work to avoid the sainsburys local pumping out danish maple smells, and I also now boil a couple of eggs every morning to bring into work with me.

I also think setting smaller goals (SMART objectives, urgh!) based on self-awareness helps me. So rather than “I am never eating carbs again”, I go for “For the next week, I am not going to buy a danish pastry on my way to work” and “I am not going to buy jellybabies at 3 pm today”. These are the habits I used to fall into and I know these are my most vulnerable times. For you it might be “I am not going to go into any shops on my way home from work” – because I bet if you can do that, you’ll be much less likely to go carb-hunting when you’re home. (also that’s when I have one of my eggs, as soon as I get in home from work!)

In terms of calories and sticking to 800, my focus has been on fixing these habits (crutches, almost!!) and minimising unnecessary carbs rather than cals. The weight is coming off more slowly than many here (~1 kilo a week), but more important to me is the feeling of control I am slowly regaining.

I think MK’s 1 week challenge is a great idea. Maybe for you, the focus of the meal plan can be less on # calories eaten and more on unnecessary carbs + identifying / working round your weak points (the work home from work?)?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, just back from my fantastic cruise – got back yesterday. Weigh in today and I have gained 3.5 lbs, not bad for 7 nights on a ship plus 3 days getting there and back using hotels and restaurants. When we were eating on board I just said no carbs on my plate please and got exactly that, however, I found at the end of each meal I was actually hungry so decided to register my dietary requirements formally at the desk. NO CARBS BUT EXTRA MEAT AND VEG and it worked. I no longer had to explain to every waiter at every meal in every restaurant and got exactly what I asked for, also it kept me on track except for the bread round at the start of each meal when I just had to say no. I only had 2 BG peaks at 125 and 137 (6.9 and 7.6 eeeeek) but they were on the 2 nights I had a dessert, well I was on holiday. Most nights I had fresh fruit salad or cheese and biscuits. Edit: cheese and an oatcake.

At the beginning of this challenge I was 11st 10lbs after my previous holiday and I am now 11st 12lbs (losses and gains account for the odd numbers). So in the week that is left of this challenge I want to lose 2lbs or more. No more holidays in the planning but family arriving at the end of May, that is easy, they just all go on my diet.

M-K I have always done a weekly menu plan so good on you for suggesting to others. Also, I live in fear of a life less full with medical problem heaped upon medical problem, and more medications. That is what keeps me on this plan. I have also been promoting it to others on the cruise as I met several people with diabetes and recommended BSD. Also to a doctor on board who said she was so worried about her father, I gave her Prof Taylors info so she could do her own research. Why was I seeing a doctor on holiday. That is a story for another day.

Had a wonderful time but glad to be back home to routine so keep on keeping on….

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello Natalie, my name is Marilyn and I’m addicted to carbs.

I’m feeling your pain, Natalie. As Verano said to me ‘keep hanging around’ and we can help one another along.

Maharani kitten, great idea for this last week of the mid-May challenge. I’m in although I think I’ll do best with just planning a day ahead. I’ve already committed to one of Verano’s short, sharp, shock weeks so some meals may not be representative

Today, Tues 9th:
    B. 95g apple, lemon&ginger tea
    L. Salad, incl leaves, cucumber, tomato, avocado, fetta, coffee w 20ml fc milk
    D. 1.5 cups Stir fry vegetables incl carrot in home made Thai
    dipping/cooking/marinating sauce
    50 gms smoked trout
    Sparkling Mineral Water w lime slice
    S. Green tea x 3
    1.5 l water
    20 gms cheddar
    Totals:673 cals, 52g carbs. No starchy or sugary carbs. Should go to bed early to avoid temptation🙊 (speak no evil, amended for my purpose➡eat no evil)

Tomorrow 10 th May:
    B & L the same as above
    D. Poached egg, Haloumie cheese, above ground vegetables+carrot
    steamed

Hour and a half after dinner, feeling peckish. Hunger is my friend tonight. ..

• posted by Marsie
    on

Oops, forgot to add exercise:
    Wed 10th: depending on weather, either gym for pilates+ treadmill or walk 1 hr
    along coastal path
    Thurs 11th: pilates+treadmill (or exercise bike at home) depends on time available and how busy the gym is.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI All ,wow a lot of posts today. MK I must start with a big thanks for sharing your story and how you are motivated.It really helped me to think about what I’m trying to achieve please keep posting ,it really helps me.I’m still not completely on track today. So for tomorrow,I will try the 1 day challenge.
    breakfast, coffee, egg, spinach and mushrooms .miss breakfast if BGL is above 6
    lunch, home made spicy mince pork patties and stir fry veg
    Dinner, salmon and zuchini noodles snacks 10 almonds
    late night munchies 50 gms blueberries with 50gms greek yoghurt only if needed
    fluids water and green tea, exercise 8 hours work.So lets see if I can do it good luck to you all.

on

My day goes like this:
    breakfast, lemon juice in warm water, Greek yoghurt with raspberries and blueberries and a sprinkle of flaked almonds
    lunch, ploughman’s lunch but no celery so swapped for red pepper strips (ham, cheese, apple and chutney)
    dinner, grilled lamb steak with aubergine mash and mixed green veg
    snacks, 10 pistachio nuts, small piece of chicken, 10g square of very dark chocolate

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Lost 1lb this week. Scales staying pretty much the same for days at a time at the moment. First week doing round 3. It has been interesting reading everyone’s food diaries today. Mine went like this today- 16:8 so nothing until 12.30 apart from water. I had spinach with hard boiled egg and two quorn cocktail sausages for lunch with fage yoghurt and raspberries with a sprinkling of chia seeds. Evening meal was skinny cottage pie from the book with cauliflower mash and tender stem broccoli. Just having a ristretto Nespresso and collecting my thoughts after a busy day at work. I reckon I could be on target for my 4lb off challenge this month. Have a good week everyone.

Tomorrow’s meal plan is- 16:8 again and for lunch I am having cheese, pecans, celery and I will have a mushroom omelette for my evening meal. I always drink about 3 litres of water daily and I will have some yoghurt/raspberries and chia seeds probably after my lunch.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am not advertising my entire menu for today, as I succumbed to some biscuits during a meeting, but I am broadly on plan for the day nevertheless having adjusted what I was planning for tea. I echo the calls, to MK particularly, to keep being honest and open with each other, this site was a lifeline for me when I was losing the weight, and now is helping me keep focused on keeping the weight off. The reminder of the damage we can do to ourselves, if we let ourselves get out of hand, is always welcome, to me anyway. Weigh in for today is 10:11.2 but whether that is a real increase on last week due to my relative sedentariness or a maintenance ‘fluctuation’ I won’t know until next week.

• posted by Mariet
    on

7 day challenge, cool!
    .today:
    Coffee with cream at 6 and 10

Lunch vegetable and chicken soup

Mid afternoon 50g greek yoghurt with ground linseed and some raspberries

Dinner pork fillet 100g with zucchini, broccoli and cherry toms

3l water
    10000 steps

Melb100, I would be tickled to death with a kilo a week loss! Well done you.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I read all the posts yesterday with interest but haven’t had a chance to reply or provide my weekly update till now.
    MK – thank you for sharing your story. I was really touched and found it inspiring. I don’t have diabetes but have pre-diabetes with a 1 in 13 chance of developing T2 if I carried on with my previous lifestyle. Your mother’s experience – What a powerful motivator for you.
    I haven’t had much of a loss this week, in fact only 100g, but given that I’ve had to up my prednisone dose yet again, this is no surprise! While my joint pain has improved overall I am still getting flares every couple of weeks, hence the prednisone.
    Anyway I’m now 1.3kg off my goal for this challenge, so who knows? I may still get there during the next week.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi sunshine-girl, I also love putting flaked almonds on my berries and yogurt but I have discovered if I toast them in a hot dry pan for a minute or two they become so golden and crunchy and even more delicious! I do a small packet at a time and store them in a container.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Thanks for all the support everyone! I’ve decided to sit on the fence and give myself extra options each day – a couple of planned healthy snacks “if I need them” that would take me over BSD 800 targets but with no guilt.

Today’s menu:
    B: 2 poached eggs that I accidentally left way too long so they were more hard boiled, tea with a splash of milk
    L: cold chicken, salad, small apple, green tea
    A: nut bar (this was optional, I ate it), tea with milk
    – I’m at this point in the afternoon now, having eaten 657 calories, 32g carb. Not hungry and not tempted by the drop scones (pikelets) my daughter is cooking right now
    D: pulled pork and salad
    S: dark chocolate (optional)

I’ve taken 6988 steps so I’ll probably get to around 7500, mostly from walking to the station. I take a lot less on the days I’m at home all day, I’ll need to add exercise to those days.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about what motivates me, because in some areas of life I am very successful. I need to apply that to looking after my health. I think primarily I like to do well at things, that feeling of victory and also a bit of a liking for impressing others! So I’m trying to reframe this as a bit of a competition, not against others but against myself, like aiming for a good mark in an exam. I’m not depriving myself, I’m going for gold!

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome home S-g! You did really well in the face of adversity but glad you had a great time.

DAY 2 of 7

Day 1
    A day behind but yesterday I had:
    3 cups of tea during day, 1.5lts water.
    Breakfast: total yogurt, raspberries and walnuts.
    Lunch: home made Bolognese with courgetti and grated parmesan (should have been Monday night’s dinner!)
    Snack: almonds
    Dinner: 3 digestive biscuits …. wasn’t hungry but had a cup of tea and needed ‘something’!
    Overall my carbs were over by 20g….. 3 digestives!!!!

I realise my food choices are in a rut so having to ‘report in’ has made me think . Last night I went through my BDS recipe book and Tom Kerridge for inspiration and have chosen Tom’s piri piri chicken for tonight and there’ll be enough left for tomorrow lunch.

I realise that I was out of control on Monday because I didn’t have breakfast. I had soup for lunch and then was ‘starving’. I could always manage without breakfast years ago but now I realise it’s a very important meal for me. Most days are similar, 100g total yogurt with 10g of walnuts and berries which vary day by day.

It really does concentrate the mind when you have to disclose your food choices on here!

Have a good day!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I’d also like to join in this 7 day food challenge, although I’m a day late.
    Today I’ve had 719 calories.
    Breakfast – rolled oats made with water, semi skimmed milk, coconut oil and ground Cinammon – really delicious and satisfying and only 170 cals
    Lunch – 2 boiled eggs, 50g Greek yoghurt and a few berries. I had planned to eat vegetable soup too but was at work and ran out of time! May eat it tonight though.
    Dinner – a small serving of bolognaise with zucchini noodles (left over from Monday night).
    Snacks, – smoked cheddar, water, coffee

• posted by Theodora
    on

DAY 2

My day will be a bit of a challenge and not sure yet what food it will entail, as it is #2 son’s birthday tomorrow but #1 son (who lives 150 miles away) may be working in the area today so, if that proves to be the case, the plan is to go out for a celebration dinner a day early. So who knows what will be on the menu……………………?

But to date I have had 2 cups weak black tea, 1 cup strong black coffee, 1.5pts water, 125g Total yoghurt and 50g blueberries. Will skip lunch again (quite normal for me as breakfast is always late).

Will have to report on what food I ended up with later / tomorrow.

So far (11am) I have walked 12,000 steps.

Also scales showed another half pound gone this morning, despite last evening’s small glass of wine 🙂

• posted by Mariet
    on

Well, end of day 1and had to rearrange my food because I was so busy at work I forgot about lunch. So I’ve had yoghurt raspberries and linseed this afternoon and a larger supper-added butter to extra veges and 30g cheese. Too full to eat any more so won’t make 800 today. Tomorrow I’ll try harder to remember lunch but I’m not hungry so if I don’t notice the time it gets away from me.

Actually I’m not hungry at all. I am often only eating because I ‘should’, to get adequate nutrition. Has anyone else completely lost their appetite? I enjoy my meals but not looking for them.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Oh no, where has it gone? I’d commented on and thanked several people but too much to completely re-do. Sorry.
    Today 10th May: Stuck mostly to plan, except exercise (back a bit dodgy today)
    Totals = 890cals, 65carbs.

Thurs 11th May:
    B. 80g Apple + rhubarb, cooked without sugar; 60g sheep milk yoghurt; 10g slivered almonds
    L. Salad, incl leaves, cucumber, tomato, avocado, fetta, coffee w 20ml fc milk
    D. Lamb cutlet, grilled tomato & mushroom, broccoli
    S. corn thin, butter, peanut butter (if needed, thanks Natalie)
    E. Pilates; 30 minute walk

Fri 12thMay:
    B. as above
    L. Baked beans w added herbs, parmesan cheese; coffee w 20ml fc milk
    D. Not sure, 6.00pm bouncedown at home match. As we socialise pre-match (and post:) it means leaving home before 4pm. The friends all buy food there but not much GF for OH so we usually take fruit and nuts to share. Will prob do that.
    E. 60min walk

This is an interesting exercise, posting in advance. Thanks MK.

on

Marsie, it is a common problem to lose a posting. When you post, press submit and to come out of the subject go back to the top bar and hover over Forums then click on All Recent Topics to bring you back to the Posts. What you will have done is Submit then pressed the back arrow key which takes you back to where you were before you made your comments so you have lost your post.

I got round to adding up my calories and carbs from what I ate yesterday and it came in at 880 cals and 66 carbs, the half an apple giving me 10 carbs and just a few grams of courgette giving me 12 grams. Then I looked again and saw I had accidently keyed in 309 grams of courgette whereas I only had about 30 grams. Recalculate to 850 cals and 55 carbs.

So far today I have had 200ml almond milk smoothie with raspberries and blueberries for breakfast and a weight watchers soup and 2 ryvitas for lunch. Not my normal lunch but it is cold and wet today so fancied something warm. Tonight for dinner I am having chicken something or other, not really got myself organised after the holiday but will do a proper shop tomorrow and will calculate todays food in the morning when I know exactly what I have had.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Today’s meals
    Yoghurt and raspberries with chia seeds
    Cheddar cheese/pecan nuts/celery
    Boiled egg/quorn ham slices/salad

It is quite plain for me to see looking at the posts that I really do need to increase my exercise/steps! This is a serious issue I need to address very soon! I feel quite ashamed of myself!

on

Hi all. Husby’s gone on his motorbike trip so fridge cleared of everything he likes, all cake eaten (by him) all other goodies locked in garage in a big box! Clean linen on bed, spent the afternoon doing a proper tidy and clean, knowing the house will stay tidy! Yoghurt, berries and salad for me for 10 days. 10 mile riverside trek with chums on Saturday, rewarded by visit to new puppy on Sunday for cuddles!

Marsie, posting menus in advance is like a little pledge for me – I get so far through the day and don’t want to spoil things, and if I get a clean few days I want to make it a week! Beautiful weather here today. Evening bike ride is a joy on nights like this. Mkx

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello to my virtual friends. I am back from the wedding in Spain and from my mini break from BSD.
    I have been reading with interest the posts regarding upping carbs and calories for those who do not have diabetes
    and also have been mulling over my situation whilst away.

I have just five weeks before we go to US to see our son and his family so have decided to have one last big try to at least lose the pounds I have gained over the last few weeks.

I agree with you Natalie that a change is as good as a rest and so I intend to still avoid the white stuff, up the good carbs a little to about 50 and keep calories below 100. I also may have some pulses/brown rice perhaps once a week and possibly a high fibre brown crisp bread with a boiled egg on a Sunday!

I hope that being a little less strict may do the trick and hope you will allow me to still lurk around here to gain advice and support from you all on this wonderful forum.
    Thank you
    X B

Please log in or register to post a reply.